PDA

View Full Version : John McClain: Texans have just agreed to new contract with their OT Rashad Butler

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Texans have just agreed to new contract with their OT Rashad Butler.

Hmm, all that talk about leaving for nothing.

RavensInsider Aaron Wilson
by LanceZierlein
OT Rashad Butler re-signs with Houston Texans for two years, $3.8 million, $1.25 million bonus, per a league source.

Wolf
07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I like

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
@RickSmith Can you work on Aso now? #stopbeingatool

Mike

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
That is AWESOME. I'm glad we could keep him. Maybe he'll take Winston's spot and Winston can go the way of Johnny Miller and Dave Feherty.

nero THE zero
07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
This is odd.

Only explanation I can think of is that the market wasn't as hot for him as he thought it'd be. I can't fathom why, though. And why sign so quickly?

Weird.

Lucky
07-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I guess all that talk about Butler getting starter's money somewhere else was just that. Talk.

I'm ok with Butler coming back. But, I'm hoping Newton is a player and is ready by 2012.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
This is odd.

Only explanation I can think of is that the market wasn't as hot for him as he thought it'd be. I can't fathom why, though. And why sign so quickly?

Weird.Maybe he's a better fit for the ZBS than he is another. IDK, but I'm happy we kept him.

michaelm
07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Obviously, all of us are waiting, fingers crossed, for a FA signing with a bigger splash, but I like this on the whole. Solid backup, capable of starting for a stretch of games if needed.
I was expecting him to be gone for sure.

badboy
07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I am surprsied as I thought he was gone. This is a good move if not too expensive. He handled Duane's spot better than I ever imagined he would.

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Good to have Butler back. We learned during the David Carr years what it means to have good depth at the tackle positions. This is a good re-sign by the Texans.

Honoring Earl 34
07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
The Texans got him off the scrap heap because he was sick and couldn't keep weight on . The Texans doctors medicated him and the rest is history as they say . Maybe Butler was thankful for the chance the Texans gave him ... nah .

Wolf
07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Guess he didn't want to go to that train wreck known as Washington

Trap_Star
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Guess he didn't want to go to that train wreck known as Washington

or the skins told him, "we never wanted you, brah."

edo783
07-26-2011, 11:15 PM
This is a MUCH more significant signing than some folks realize. Quality depth can be the difference in the season. Great signing as long as the bank isn't huge.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:24 PM
or the skins told him, "we never wanted you, brah."Maybe Butler said no to the train wreck. Who wants to be in a train wreck?

nero THE zero
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Maybe Butler said no to the train wreck. Who wants to be in a train wreck?

He stated numerous times that he wanted to sign with the 'Skins.

Trap_Star
07-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Maybe Butler said no to the train wreck. Who wants to be in a train wreck?

he kept talking about the redskins as if it was a done deal already. they must of said no thanks. that must of got an "ooops" out of butler and his agent. "rick, buddy, i love it here in houston. i want to re-sign"

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:38 PM
he kept talking about the redskins as if it was a done deal already. they must of said no thanks. that must of got an "ooops" out of butler and his agent. "rick, buddy, i love it here in houston. i want to re-sign"Sounds exactly like that. "I don't read, I don't write, I play foosball" player talking trash and his agent popping hemmorhoids over it. Have a little crow, Mr. Butler. It really sux when you over value your own worth to an organization. Don't ask me how I know this.

m5kwatts
07-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Odd move by Butler just two days ago on twitter he specifically said to someone "I just want to start."

Some have been speculating about a certain right tackle being a possible cap casualty. Not trying to throw fuel on the rumor fire but it is what it is and resigning Butler is just odd given that you'd think he'd get starter's money.

Errant Hothy
07-26-2011, 11:40 PM
This is a MUCH more significant signing than some folks realize. Quality depth can be the difference in the season. Great signing as long as the bank isn't huge.

Especially depth at a position as vital as OT.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Odd move by Butler just two days ago on twitter he specifically said to someone "I just want to start."

Some have been speculating about a certain right tackle being a possible cap casualty. Not trying to throw fuel on the rumor fire but it is what it is and resigning Butler is just odd given that you'd think he'd get starter's money.Saying "I just want to start" is a lot easier than finding an NFL team that says "you're gonna start." I bet he couldn;t get a gaurantee he would start, the $$ wasn't much different and Butler decided to stay put.

J_R
07-26-2011, 11:50 PM
RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider) Aaron Wilson
OT Rashad Butler re-signs with Houston Texans for two years, $3.8 million, $1.25 million bonus, per a source. He chose Texans over Redskins.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:50 PM
OT Rashad Butler re-signs with Houston Texans for two years, $3.8 million, $1.25 million bonus, per a source. He chose Texans over Redskins.

He was scared of Cushing. I don't blame him.

m5kwatts
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Saying "I just want to start" is a lot easier than finding an NFL team that says "you're gonna start." I bet he couldn;t get a gaurantee he would start, the $$ wasn't much different and Butler decided to stay put.

After seeing the financial terms, makes sense.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:53 PM
After seeing the financial terms, makes sense.Yes it does. I love the signing. You might want to think about Butler in your avatar. LOL. He might take Winston's job.

Shaft75
07-26-2011, 11:57 PM
This is a little weird, but yayyy...

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2011, 11:58 PM

Reads like Butler not only did not get starters job/money, he got below average "we can cut when we please" back-up money.

m5kwatts
07-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes it does. I love the signing. You might want to think about Butler in your avatar. LOL. He might take Winston's job.

I'll need to find a Butler look-alike. Caveman Winston is too good.

J_R
07-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Reads like Butler not only did not get starters job/money, he got below average "we can cut when we please" back-up money.

Yeah, "not a lot" of money. Guess the grass wasnt so green on the other side, heh. Good to have him back I guess. One less possible need or hole to fill.

MFG16
07-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if Winston is one of our cap casualties. How much money would we save by cutting Winston?

Lucky
07-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Some have been speculating about a certain right tackle being a possible cap casualty.

Wouldn't be surprised if Winston is one of our cap casualties.
That's nuts. Only fans have speculated on Winston being cut. I'm not saying Winston is a Pro Bowler. But he's head and shoulders better than Butler. Butler is not considered to be a NFL starting tackle. If he were, he would have gotten starter's money from someone.

MFG16
07-27-2011, 12:23 AM
That's nuts. Only fans have speculated on Winston being cut. I'm not saying Winston is a Pro Bowler. But he's head and shoulders better than Butler. Butler is not considered to be a NFL starting tackle. If he were, he would have gotten starter's money from someone.

I agree with what your saying, but If cutting Winston means we sign Asomugha, I'm all for it.

Lucky
07-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I agree with what your saying, but If cutting Winston means we sign Asomugha, I'm all for it.
Winston is making $4.5 mil in salary, so he could get some savings by restructuring. But it's Mario's contract that would give the Texans cap flexibility if extended/restructured.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
That's nuts. Only fans have speculated on Winston being cut. I'm not saying Winston is a Pro Bowler. But he's head and shoulders better than Butler. Butler is not considered to be a NFL starting tackle. If he were, he would have gotten starter's money from someone.There has been considerable speculation on this on Sirius NFL network, and that's something to think about considering Winston is an active caller/contributor. Maybe Winston realizes his weaknesses and is charting a post-NFL career.....

MFG16
07-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Winston is making $4.5 mil in salary, so he could get some savings by restructuring. But it's Mario's contract that would give the Texans cap flexibility if extended/restructured.

For some reason I thought Winston was making way more. Has Mario said anything about restructuring his deal?

Lucky
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
There has been considerable speculation on this on Sirius NFL network.....
Huh? Who was speculating??? It's completely bogus.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Huh? Who was speculating??? It's completely bogus.Different show hosts. All I'm saying is tha the subject has been broached. Winston isn't all that good. He's a much better voice on the air than player on the field.

cland
07-27-2011, 01:05 AM
For some reason I thought Winston was making way more. Has Mario said anything about restructuring his deal?

Mario is playing the last deal of his contract so 'restructuring' isn't an option (there's no where to move the cap hit to). They could extend him, and use the signing bonus to push his current cap hit into the future.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Mario is playing the last deal of his contract so 'restructuring' isn't an option (there's no where to move the cap hit to). They could extend him, and use the signing bonus to push his current cap hit into the future.We can't extend his contract and restructure the '11 cap hit?

Brandon420tx
07-27-2011, 01:25 AM
We can't extend his contract and restructure the '11 cap hit?

That's essentially the same thing he said. Most extensions work on this principle. More guaranteed money with a majority of the salary backended.

pirbroke
07-27-2011, 05:49 AM

agree 100%, I was more worried aboult losing Butler over all others, Bad OT play can kill the whole offence. pleasantly surprised

beerlover
07-27-2011, 05:52 AM
We need someone to contact McClain to find out what the Texans have left in cap room. They still need to sign their draft picks, not sure but doesn't this impact free agency?

never mind found this off one of his chats
john mcclain:
The cap hurts the Texans. Even though they haven't been given their rookie wage pool, what they estimate with the cap puts them right close to $127. They'll borrow 3 mil from a future cap under the new rules. They'll redo a lot of contracts. And they'll have to cut a player or two.

Lucky
07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
john mcclain:
The cap hurts the Texans. Even though they haven't been given their rookie wage pool, what they estimate with the cap puts them right close to $127. They'll borrow 3 mil from a future cap under the new rules. They'll redo a lot of contracts. And they'll have to cut a player or two.
He hasn't said anything that wasn't already discussed here. What contracts are to be re-done? Who is on the cut line? That's real information.

SAMURAITEXAN
07-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Good news. This a key signing for our O. We need quality swing T any day.

Go Texans!!!

Seņor Stan
07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I really thought Rashad was gone. Did a lot of talking about starting and whatnot on the Twitter and local radio. I am pleasantly surprised that the Texans were able to get him at that price. Sooo much better than what they would have had to settle for on the open market...and he knows the ZBS.

Here's hoping all the posturing that Vonta is doing turns out the same way...

IDEXAN
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm also surprised about Butler staying on here, but even more surprised that
we were able to keep him without a larger financial commiment, which I suppose is what really explains everything - he's just not that talented ?

beerlover
07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
He hasn't said anything that wasn't already discussed here. What contracts are to be re-done? Who is on the cut line? That's real information.

just reported everybody with big contracts. might be a good idea to restructure Mario anyway & lock him up long term while reducing 15 million off this year. Schwab just tweeted he is willing to restructure, thats 12.5 million. yada yada yada :fans:

phantom17
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm glad they keep him in the OL mix! Now, we gotta get......da Leach!:wild:

El Tejano
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
According to NFL Network's bottom line headlines, we signed OT Rashad Jones. Really NFL Network? Really? If this were the Jets, Patriots, or Cowboys you would've got it right.

HOU-TEX
07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
This is the only signing that hasn't been finalized. Was it a mistake? Did he bail? Maybe McGobbler meant Bulman?