PDA

View Full Version : Nick Barnett and the Texans

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/packers-say-so-long-to-nick-barnett/#content

Any interest? With Demeco's injury if you can trade for him on the cheap (or let them release him and sign him) is there any interest?

Mike

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/packers-say-so-long-to-nick-barnett/#content

Any interest? With Demeco's injury if you can trade for him on the cheap (or let them release him and sign him) is there any interest?

Mike

I think he will want some big $ as he is around 31 and may want one more big pay day. I heard he was interested in TB.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Mike

Only slight interest. I'm worried about his injuries the past few years. If we can get him without spending a lot, he could be a good addition.

welsh texan
07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
If he doesn't command a big contract he'd be great depth, been part of a SB team last year, understands the position and can help Meco and Cush transition to the new scheme.

Jackie Chiles
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
We can't start 3 middle linebackers and he is not a backup player. No interest whatsoever.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
We can't start 3 middle linebackers and he is not a backup player. No interest whatsoever.

Is Ryans a starter this year? Do you want to wait till week 3 to find one?

Mike

Rey
07-26-2011, 12:52 PM
No interest in him. We have our starters and he is not a special teams guy at this point in his career.

If he would take a lesser contract, be willing to back up and play special teams then sure. I dont see those things happening.

Rey
07-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Mike

?
?

Are
U
Asking if
Demeco is a
Starter

Jackie Chiles
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Mike

If DeMeco doesn't prove to be healthy enough to start the season for us (fat chance) we will go cheap and plug in Sharpton or a similar player. We will not pay Barnett a multi-year deal at starter money to be an insurance option.

ChampionTexan
07-26-2011, 01:01 PM
edit

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM
?
?

Are
U
Asking if
Demeco is a
Starter

I am. Achilles injuries (from what I've read) take about a year and a half to come back from, if not more. The biggest problem is that as good as DR was, it was because he was smarter than everyone else... not because he was faster or more explosive. With that being a case, is a DR that has lost a step still a starter?

Mike

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I am. Achilles injuries (from what I've read) take about a year and a half to come back from, if not more. The biggest problem is that as good as DR was, it was because he was smarter than everyone else... not because he was faster or more explosive. With that being a case, is a DR that has lost a step still a starter?

Mike

Maybe CND can comment more on this, as I'm sure he has many times in the past, but isn't Demeco's injury quite similar to Owen Daniels? Both were ACL injuries, and we know OD has had 3 of them so far. Just curious how they are related as it seems OD has been top notch as a TE despite all these ACL tears.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
The Packers would have to cut him if they cant trade him so maybe they would take a chance on Barnett for Slaton straight up? They dont have many options and something is better than nothing if they just release him.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Maybe CND can comment more on this, as I'm sure he has many times in the past, but isn't Demeco's injury quite similar to Owen Daniels? Both were ACL injuries, and we know OD has had 3 of them so far. Just curious how they are related as it seems OD has been top notch as a TE despite all these ACL tears.

Owen Daniels did have ACL, Demeco was Achilles tendon... one is in the knee, one attaches to the bottom of the foot. I don't think they are that similar in nature. The achilles tendon has a lot to do with explosiveness from what I understand.

Mike

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
The Packers would have to cut him if they cant trade him so maybe they would take a chance on Barnett for Slaton straight up? They dont have many options and something is better than nothing if they just release him.

It would be a waste. He's scheduled to make 5.5 million in 2011, which is much more than he's worth. Let him hit the market and get him for 2-3 mill a year, if that.

Rey
07-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Mike

I don't think demeco is a Patrick Willis type talent. I think that since his rookie year he has put on weight and that has limited his mobility.

But there is absolutely no way he is on this team, cleared to play and not a starter. Injury or no injury. The texans are not actively looking for demeco replacements.

beerlover
07-26-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't think demeco is a Patrick Willis type talent. I think that since his rookie year he has put on weight and that has limited his mobility.

But there is absolutely no way he is on this team, cleared to play and not a starter. Injury or no injury. The texans are not actively looking for demeco replacements.

DeMeco is equal or above Willis in leadership, not raw athletic skill set mind you but he makes his teammates better around him, just look what happened to the Texans without him, Cushing in particular.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I believe he was released by the Packers today. He was on the Sirius NFL channel. I would make him an offer. He has 3-4 experience and I'm not counting on Ryans at all.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/packers-say-so-long-to-nick-barnett/

Rey
07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
DeMeco is equal or above Willis in leadership, not raw athletic skill set mind you but he makes his teammates better around him, just look what happened to the Texans without him, Cushing in particular.

No question demeco makes the defense better. Not arguing that.

But the defense sucked just about as bad with and without him.

He's an asset, but I'm not going to say that he is on par with Patrick Willis.

He's been a top lb in the league and he'd make any defense better.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:31 PM
IMO, Ryans' leadership has outshined a lot of his play. He's a good LB, but counting on him to come back from an achilles' rupture is premature, at best. Barnett would have instant credibilty in a leadership role and would provide valuable leadership for Cush and Reed. I'm not saying he's better than Ryans, though.

Rey
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
IMO, Ryans' leadership has outshined a lot of his play. He's a good LB, but counting on him to come back from an achilles' rupture is premature, at best. Barnett would have instant credibilty in a leadership role and would provide valuable leadership for Cush and Reed. I'm not saying he's better than Ryans, though.

You do realize Barnett has been kind of injury prone lately?

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
You do realize Barnett has been kind of injury prone lately?Yes. A torn ACL in '08? and a wrist injury last year. Wrists and achilles' aren't in the same universe.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Yes. A torn ACL in '08? and a wrist injury last year. Wrists and achilles' aren't in the same universe.

But injury prone is injury prone. What's going to break next?

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:58 PM
But injury prone is injury prone. What's going to break next?
I'm just remembering all those "Schaub is injury prone" threads.....Do Barnett's injuries carry the same poor recovery rate tha Ryan's carries? Ryan's injury is much more career threatening that Barnetts.

Rey
07-27-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm just remembering all those "Schaub is injury prone" threads.....Do Barnett's injuries carry the same poor recovery rate tha Ryan's carries? Ryan's injury is much more career threatening that Barnetts.

You're talking about an older guy coming off of a year on ir.

Not impossible that he can contribute for a team, but you have to weigh the risk reward with a guy like that.

We got shammy before the injuries and he was a fairly young guy. Barnett is old and coming off injury.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 12:56 AM
You're talking about an older guy coming off of a year on ir.

Not impossible that he can contribute for a team, but you have to weigh the risk reward with a guy like that.

We got shammy before the injuries and he was a fairly young guy. Barnett is old and coming off injury.I'm also talking about a guy coming off of an injury that has about an 85% casualty rate over 3 years withe the player never really approaching 100% for any of those years, unless I completely misunderstood CND

Rey
07-27-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm also talking about a guy coming off of an injury that has about an 85% casualty rate over 3 years withe the player never really approaching 100% for any of those years, unless I completely misunderstood CND

Ok?

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm also talking about a guy coming off of an injury that has about an 85% casualty rate over 3 years withe the player never really approaching 100% for any of those years, unless I completely misunderstood CND

That's why I was hoping we'd draft ILB. Not that I'm knocking the draft.

I've been hoping we pick up a couple of ILBs at least for depth if not to push for starting positions. I'm not sure how Sharpton and Bentley will do for Wade. They may be fine but I'd like some more talent at that position.

But I'm not sure Barnett is that guy.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 01:12 AM
That's why I was hoping we'd draft ILB. Not that I'm knocking the draft.

I've been hoping we pick up a couple of ILBs at least for depth if not to push for starting positions. I'm not sure how Sharpton and Bentley will do for Wade. They may be fine but I'd like some more talent at that position.

But I'm not sure Barnett is that guy.I like him at a reasonable price and nothing more. If we're going to drop some serious coin, go after Posluszney from Buffalo. I really don;t have a good feel for where we stand LB-wise, but I do know I'm not counting on anything substantive from Ryans.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 01:21 AM
I like him at a reasonable price and nothing more. If we're going to drop some serious coin, go after Posluszney from Buffalo. I really don;t have a good feel for where we stand LB-wise, but I do know I'm not counting on anything substantive from Ryans.

Posluzny went to the Jags, unfortunately.

I would have liked to have gotten him but not at the expense of other FA's that I'm hoping for. :)