PDA

View Full Version : X's and O's with Vance Joseph

jaayteetx
07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Seems like an intelligent, well spoken coach. Lets hope that comes out in his players play on the field.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Xs-and-Os-Joseph-on-secondary-/01fd92ca-8428-4d2d-8fba-b5b520ce1c09#?id=01fd92ca-8428-4d2d-8fba-b5b520ce1c09&channelName=Recent

XI CMURDER IX
07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Now we know why we went Watt and Reed in round one and two. High motor athletes in the front seven will give us the edge in this system, in my opinion. If you have Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, J.J. Watt, Connor Barwin, and Antonio Smith in the same defensive front. You should be able to win that battle in the trenches more times than not. It is just going to hinge on Wade Phillips getting these guys ready.

painekiller
07-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Seems like an intelligent, well spoken coach. Lets hope that comes out in his players play on the field.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Xs-and-Os-Joseph-on-secondary-/01fd92ca-8428-4d2d-8fba-b5b520ce1c09#?id=01fd92ca-8428-4d2d-8fba-b5b520ce1c09&channelName=Recent

Thanks for the link, that was informative.

Rep

DocBar
07-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Good watch. I do have to say that if you have good play up front in any system, it makes the back end much easier to play.
In case it didn't get posted, here's another link (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Xs-and-Os-Joseph-on-secondary-/01fd92ca-8428-4d2d-8fba-b5b520ce1c09#?id=1f4d0767-a47f-4ba3-86e2-43bd9fb88acd&channelName=Recent) on Joseph talking Texans DB's.

playa465
07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Sounds good in theory...I'm still confused on the element of surprise of where the 4th rusher will come from specifically when Mario is on the field...either way I'm hoping for better coaching AND performance from the secondary

Maddict5
07-24-2011, 04:22 PM
good video. all theory of course... if we get nnamdi we can drop that other safety into the box too & win every early down!

still our front 7 is hopefully gonna be pretty tough to run in theory with watt at de, and mario, demeco & cush at lb. all have great size & are good run defenders.. IF the nt & others do their part too

rush2112mn
07-24-2011, 04:23 PM
The beauty of the 3-4 is that 4th rusher can come from any of the lbs or ....
The key is to win that run battle...Unless you got a pass happy team...

jaayteetx
07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Sounds good in theory...I'm still confused on the element of surprise of where the 4th rusher will come from specifically when Mario is on the field...either way I'm hoping for better coaching AND performance from the secondary

Good point since we've been told he'll be rushing the qb 90-95 percent of the time.

Doppelganger
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM

That's the part that confuses me as well. If you know Mario is coming 90% of the time, you are in essence playing a 4-3.

I guess the point I take away is we know Mario is rushing, so that takes the element of surprise away. But, if may line up in different places on the line to throw off the Olineman. Then with him up there, we need to be stout as a 7 man up front to stop the run to keep the element of the cover 2 shell in place on 1st and 2nd down. If we do that, he predicts we win 70% of the battles threw the air.

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2011, 05:23 PM

First off, Mario will be coming most of the time. But he could come from anywhere. He could line up initially on the right and then move inside or to the other side. So your pre-snap reads mean less.

Secondly, any of the other linebackers could also come. The guys can all shift and move around and it makes it more difficult to identify assignments.

Third, Mario could drop into a zone. He doesn't have to be great at coverage, he just has to get in the way and make tackles. With his size and athleticism, he can do that.

DocBar
07-24-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm really getting concerned with our linebacker corps. I hope we add some depth there and at least make a decent offer to Posluszney from Buffalo. He'd make a good ILB in our system.

playa465
07-24-2011, 06:47 PM
First off, Mario will be coming most of the time. But he could come from anywhere. He could line up initially on the right and then move inside or to the other side. So your pre-snap reads mean less.

Secondly, any of the other linebackers could also come. The guys can all shift and move around and it makes it more difficult to identify assignments.

Third, Mario could drop into a zone. He doesn't have to be great at coverage, he just has to get in the way and make tackles. With his size and athleticism, he can do that.

You are correct, I was just hoping that when we hired Wade that Mario would turn into our Bruce Smith...plus none of our LBs have shown to be good at coverage and you when you are in coverage the goal is to prevent the completion, making the tackle is the aftermath...but not to derail the thread lets all toast to a better secondary :toast2:

rush2112mn
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM

Thats what I was thinking with Mario too...He can lineup one slot and switch while qb was under center......free flow him ...

thunderkyss
07-24-2011, 10:35 PM
The beauty of the 3-4 is that 4th rusher can come from any of the lbs or ....
The key is to win that run battle...Unless you got a pass happy team...

But I thought we were going to send Mario 99.9997% of the time.

ArlingtonTexan
07-24-2011, 10:44 PM
But I thought we were going to send Mario 99.9997% of the time.

If he is used in the same manner as D. Ware in Dallas it is between 90-95 percent.

People are too crazy about the dropping in coverage. Depending on the game and scheme they are facing, the team will be in its pass coverage set (i.e. 4 man front) from 45%- 60% of the plays.

ArlingtonTexan
07-24-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm really getting concerned with our linebacker corps. I hope we add some depth there and at least make a decent offer to Posluszney from Buffalo. He'd make a good ILB in our system.

Too much money and draft picks (2 1sts and 3 2nds) already tied up for us @LB, so I would not expect any action at all on a starting type LB. Besides if all three ILB play to thier highest potential, Cushing and Ryans are better (not a lot) than Posluszney. There are legitimate questions if Ryans (injury) and Cushing will play close to their potential, but the serious money ( I think) will go to the DBs.

Corrosion
07-24-2011, 11:30 PM

Lots of things concern me about the LBers .....

MW rushing 95% of the time is one of them. I expect teams to exploit this tendancy. Sure the defense can compensate for MW's forward movement but its going to open holes elsewhere.

I think given a bit of game film of the Texans D , I could come up with quite a few ways to exploit it myself and I dont get paid big bucks to do it like the coordinators in the NFL .....It might all be short and underneath stuff .... but that is probably enough to move the chains.

I expect RB's and TE's to do a lot of the damage against this defense with flat and curl routes .... WR's and crossing routes too .... and thats while not getting all creative with combination routes , just finding the hole in the zone left by compensating for MW rushing .....

mussop
07-24-2011, 11:58 PM
ok! ok! bla bla bla ok! ok! ok! bla bla bla ok! ok! ok! bla bla bla ok! ok! ok! bla bla bla ok!

OK!

Corrosion
07-25-2011, 01:10 AM

I dont think simply dropping into the occasional zone is enough for a LB , they have to have some cover ability or it really limits what you can do with those other potential rushers.

I think he will do Ok with TE's - especially the larger guy's , its the tweener type TE's and RB's that concern me.

If you know MW is coming at the QB 90% of the time , you can also predict who slides into that area - most likely the ILB on that side which is going to open up two spaces one on either side of that LB that slides over ..... unless of course they bring a safety up ..... but with the corners currently on this roster - I dont like the sound of that.

Rey
07-25-2011, 03:20 AM
I dont think simply dropping into the occasional zone is enough for a LB , they have to have some cover ability or it really limits what you can do with those other potential rushers.

I think he will do Ok with TE's - especially the larger guy's , its the tweener type TE's and RB's that concern me.

If you know MW is coming at the QB 90% of the time , you can also predict who slides into that area - most likely the ILB on that side which is going to open up two spaces one on either side of that LB that slides over ..... unless of course they bring a safety up ..... but with the corners currently on this roster - I dont like the sound of that.

If Mario is going to be coming a lot it means the other olb has to have some cover ability.

But I don't really get your concerns because from a base defense standpoint it's not a whole lot different than a 43.

I dont think Mario is the problem. I think barwin and reed are the ones to be concerned with. They are going to have to be more versatile than Mario. And they are going to have to make more plays in space.

Wolf6151
07-25-2011, 04:12 AM

Very good post, Thanks. Joseph stresses a stout front 7 to stop the run is key on 1st and 2nd down. What worries me though is we'll have a 291 lbs. NT, grossly undersized, an ILB coming off an achilles injury, and another coming off the juice. That don't sound stout to me so I'm worried about our ability to stop the run up the middle.

thunderkyss
07-25-2011, 08:47 AM
If Mario is going to be coming a lot it means the other olb has to have some cover ability.

But I don't really get your concerns because from a base defense standpoint it's not a whole lot different than a 43.

I dont think Mario is the problem. I think barwin and reed are the ones to be concerned with. They are going to have to be more versatile than Mario. And they are going to have to make more plays in space.

I agree with everything you've said here. Which is why I thought we would get a true LB to play the SAM.... perhaps leave Cushing at SAM.

But, Parcells went to Dallas & had Greg Ellis play opposite Demarcus Ware. Neither having any LB experience before that.

I've seen Mario drop into coverage before. & I have no problem with it as long as he's playing zone. I wouldn't want to see him man up on Dallas Clark.

thunderkyss
07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Any one hear his PodCast? (http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1370)

He talks about Kareem, Quin, & the rookies.

Doppelganger
07-25-2011, 10:45 AM

How did Ware make it work though? If we are to believe Wade, Ware rushed about 90-95% of the time. Dallas had a pretty stout D most of the time under Wade.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Isn't a stout front 7 needed for any successful defense?

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Isn't a stout front 7 needed for any successful defense?

No, I think it's a stout 11 that's required.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
No, I think it's a stout 11 that's required.

Ha, yeah, that'd work too

leebigeztx
07-26-2011, 12:41 AM
When they build a triple layer on mw side, its going to be a problem. If a team has a triple layer and they flip mario, now the dl is predictable. The best thing the texans should do is have mw as the 5 tech and send the pressure form any of the backers.

thunderkyss
07-26-2011, 12:49 AM
When they build a triple layer on mw side, its going to be a problem. If a team has a triple layer and they flip mario, now the dl is predictable. The best thing the texans should do is have mw as the 5 tech and send the pressure form any of the backers.

Except Wade has been pretty successful with Ware & his system. So was Parcells before that in Dallas.

leebigeztx
07-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Except Wade has been pretty successful with Ware & his system. So was Parcells before that in Dallas.

When parcells and wade had ware, he was in infant stages of the nfl. He didn't know what he didn't know. Mario has been in the league since 06, its a different thing. Not to mention mario is 40lbs heavier and 2inches taller. Look at aaron kampman when they tried to make him switch in gb

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Any one hear his PodCast? (http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1370)

He talks about Kareem, Quin, & the rookies.

Thanks a lot for this, I suggest others listen in. You can really tell that the staff is worried about Kareem Jackson.

thunderkyss
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks a lot for this, I suggest others listen in. You can really tell that the staff is worried about Kareem Jackson.

That's not what I got out of it.

To me, he reaffirmed that Kareem is exactly what we thought he was when we drafted him. A Zone read, run support CB. He has trouble with man to man coverage.. but he says all young corners do.

That said, I wonder where they plan on putting him. Sounds like Allen will be our second corner, Harris will be the Nickel right off the bat. If we sign Aso, or something comparable, he'll surely be the #1. Carmichael is probably going to get playing time in the dime.

So it looks as if Kareem, McMannis, Moulden, McCain are all odd men out.