PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Activity involving Texans 2011

Pages : [1] 2

Wolf
07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
If the NFL players association gets around to approving the basis for what will become the next collective bargaining agreement this weekend, there's a chance that NFL free agency could open late next week.

Under the new league calendar approved by the owners on Thursday, teams will be given 72 hours after the starting gun fires to attempt re-signing their own unrestricted free agents. Teams can sign any unrestricted free agent beginning on day four of the new league year, according to the calendar.

For the Texans, that means they will be making offers, some of which may be 'June 1 tenders' to guys like Vonta Leach, Mark Anderson, Rashad Butler and Jacoby Jones.

Using the previous CBA as a guide, a June 1 tender for Leach, Anderson and Butler would involve making an offer to the player of at least 110% of their 2010 salary, including base salary, roster and reporting bonuses, and pro-rata portion of signing bonuses if applicable.
A June 1 tender for Jones would be 110% of his base salary only, not including bonuses, since the expiring contract was his rookie contract.

According to the new league calendar, 'June 1 tenders' (which are really August 12 tenders) allow the current team to retain rights to their own unrestricted free agents if the player is not signed by another team by August 26.

We've discussed before that Butler is the least likely of those four to be on the Texans 53 man roster come Week 1 of the 2011 season, however Jones and Leach could also be wearing new uniforms in the fall.

During those fiirst three days of the new league year, you can bet that the Texans will be on the phones to agents of free agent defensive backs.

The Texans top five corners are Brice McCain, Kareem Jackson, Sherrick McManis and rookies Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael. Enough said.

Fans and media have been tossing around names of potential free agent defensive back signings by the Texans for months. But which of those names are realistic? Keep in mind that according to ESPN, the Texans are in the bottom half of the league in available cap space.

Nnamdi Asomugha? Forget it ... ain't happenin.'

Johnathan Joseph? Not likely, according to Carlos "Big C" Holmes of the Dayton Daily News who says "there is no doubt the Bengals will get a deal done to retain Joseph." The Bengals certainly have the cap room but they are the Bengals so anything could happen.

Eric Weddle?

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/free-agent-activity-about-to-get-hot-and-heavy-for-texans

MistaRed
07-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I honestly dont know what to expect from the Texans when FA starts.

Corrosion
07-23-2011, 03:01 PM
From what Ive been reading , the cap wont be a hard cap at least for the first few seasons of the new CBA ..... The Texans may well be able to retain their FA's if they so choose as well as satisfy their needs of a Safety and a top flight CB.

They can also re-structure deals (extend some) to free up more space for the likes of an Asomugha and others.

If I were to have to bet on where Asomugha lands right now , it would be Houston.

DocBar
07-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I was listening to the NFL channel and they they mentioned JJ being a good fit for the Jets. The commentator said the Jets would be better off signing JJ instead of retaining Edwards because they can get inconsistent talent at a much cheaper price with JJ. I hope that happens. I really don't want to see JJ eating up a roster spot this season. I really expect to see Aso in a Texans uniform and wouldn't be surprised at all if we land a FA safety. IMO, Smithiak knows it's do or die time and will get it done with Aso. I hope people quit mistaking Smithiak's failings as McNair's cheapness in FA.

Corrosion
07-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I was listening to the NFL channel and they they mentioned JJ being a good fit for the Jets. The commentator said the Jets would be better off signing JJ instead of retaining Edwards because they can get inconsistent talent at a much cheaper price with JJ. I hope that happens. I really don't want to see JJ eating up a roster spot this season. I really expect to see Aso in a Texans uniform and wouldn't be surprised at all if we land a FA safety. IMO, Smithiak knows it's do or die time and will get it done with Aso. I hope people quit mistaking Smithiak's failings as McNair's cheapness in FA.

The team is nearly at that $120m cap .... yet McNair is cheap. Other than that , I agree .... :ahhaha:

BetaV1
07-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Been saying it since before last season even ended: Weddle is a must for the Texans.

buddyboy
07-24-2011, 09:21 AM
The team is nearly at that $120m cap .... yet McNair is cheap. Other than that , I agree .... :ahhaha:

If you read the post again, he's saying people mistake Rick Smith's failures as Bob McNair's cheapness....so he's saying it's a common misconception that Bob McNair is cheap.

Corrosion
07-24-2011, 12:03 PM
If you read the post again, he's saying people mistake Rick Smith's failures as Bob McNair's cheapness....so he's saying it's a common misconception that Bob McNair is cheap.

I had a rare moment of reading comprehension failure ..... :facepalm:

Norg
07-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I do expect the texans to resign most of there own players except for the ones they Dem SUCKy : P

DocBar
07-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I had a rare moment of reading comprehension failure ..... :facepalm::rofl: I was gonna let that slide, hoping you would reread it later.
:hunter:

Second Honeymoon
07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
From what Ive been reading , the cap wont be a hard cap at least for the first few seasons of the new CBA ..... The Texans may well be able to retain their FA's if they so choose as well as satisfy their needs of a Safety and a top flight CB.

They can also re-structure deals (extend some) to free up more space for the likes of an Asomugha and others.

If I were to have to bet on where Asomugha lands right now , it would be Houston.

Our Houston Texans. Team with biggest need for Aso? Yes. Team most likely to get Aso? No.

Don't get me wrong. He makes sense in a lot of ways and is still relatively young in his career. He would instantly be our 2nd best player on the team behind Andre. That type of signing would make us a much better football team, and that is all I care about. However, the CBA and our 6-10 season don't make us a likely destination. Firstly, he wouldn't be coming here to win. He would be coming here to try and win, but a move to Houston would mean more money. I think its safe to assume that. So if its about money, than we are probably screwed.

The fact is, that other teams have much more money to spend and they are required to spend it and spend it fast. there will be a very soft cap this year and we need to do everything we can to take advantage of loopholes and restructurings, but I am not sure we can compete $$wise for Aso. And he isn't coming here to win a title. He would be coming here for the $$ and for a challenge.

Rumors are that he covets being a Jet, Packer, or Eagle. Cowboys are rumored to be interested but then that would probably put Newman out on market and he might make some sense as a temporary bandaid while our young guys either play themselves on the field or out of the league.

I just think if a Tampa or San Fran or even a Bills team is offering as much as $20+ million dollars more money over the life of a contract, he is going to go after the $$.

A lot of veterans are going to get pay raises, that is for sure. And its probably the right time to talk to Mario about his next contract. I wouldn't be against trading him, but that aint happening. We got to pony up bigtime to keep him here, and its gonna hurt because he has been somewhat underwhelming at times. Good player but worth franchise DE money? Umm, NO. Will he end up getting it? Yup....question is, will it be the Texans that give it to him. This CBA has things crazy and I wish we had a more experienced crew at the helm. Rick is going to sink or swim over the next 3 weeks. That is for sure.

Go Texans

DocBar
07-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Our Houston Texans. Team with biggest need for Aso? Yes. Team most likely to get Aso? No.

Don't get me wrong. He makes sense in a lot of ways and is still relatively young in his career. He would instantly be our 2nd best player on the team behind Andre. That type of signing would make us a much better football team, and that is all I care about. However, the CBA and our 6-10 season don't make us a likely destination. Firstly, he wouldn't be coming here to win. He would be coming here to try and win, but a move to Houston would mean more money. I think its safe to assume that. So if its about money, than we are probably screwed.

The fact is, that other teams have much more money to spend and they are required to spend it and spend it fast. there will be a very soft cap this year and we need to do everything we can to take advantage of loopholes and restructurings, but I am not sure we can compete $$wise for Aso. And he isn't coming here to win a title. He would be coming here for the $$ and for a challenge.

Rumors are that he covets being a Jet, Packer, or Eagle. Cowboys are rumored to be interested but then that would probably put Newman out on market and he might make some sense as a temporary bandaid while our young guys either play themselves on the field or out of the league.

I just think if a Tampa or San Fran or even a Bills team is offering as much as $20+ million dollars more money over the life of a contract, he is going to go after the $$.

A lot of veterans are going to get pay raises, that is for sure. And its probably the right time to talk to Mario about his next contract. I wouldn't be against trading him, but that aint happening. We got to pony up bigtime to keep him here, and its gonna hurt because he has been somewhat underwhelming at times. Good player but worth franchise DE money? Umm, NO. Will he end up getting it? Yup....question is, will it be the Texans that give it to him. This CBA has things crazy and I wish we had a more experienced crew at the helm. Rick is going to sink or swim over the next 3 weeks. That is for sure.

Go Texans Does anyone outside of the Texans FO really have any idea where we stand cap-wise? I also don't think the Texans are viewed in the same light as we were 3-4 years ago. We're a team on the cusp and who better to have that extra bit of confidence to think THEY are the player to put us over the top than arguably the best CB in the league. CB's usually have a ton of confidence whether it's warranted or not. Aso's would be warranted.

H.C.4100-Bloc
07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Time to see if Robert will dig in those deep pockets.

Corrosion
07-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Does anyone outside of the Texans FO really have any idea where we stand cap-wise? I also don't think the Texans are viewed in the same light as we were 3-4 years ago. We're a team on the cusp and who better to have that extra bit of confidence to think THEY are the player to put us over the top than arguably the best CB in the league. CB's usually have a ton of confidence whether it's warranted or not. Aso's would be warranted.

Nope ... Hell I dont think we'll figure it all out for months after the CBA is announced. Its gonna take a while to actually understand what they can and cant do .....

That said , the things I have heard - Aso is the Texans top priority - The interest is mutual - Bob will back up the Brinks truck.

Take that for what it is , some asshole on a MB talking out his ass :specnatz:

DocBar
07-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Nope ... Hell I dont think we'll figure it all out for months after the CBA is announced. Its gonna take a while to actually understand what they can and cant do .....

That said , the things I have heard - Aso is the Texans top priority - The interest is mutual - Bob will back up the Brinks truck.

Take that for what it is , some asshole on a MB talking out his ass :specnatz:LMAO. I tend to agree with this.

Texanmike02
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
I heard Favre is looking to get back into football. Maybe he can back up Schaub. :strangle:

Mike

FirstTexansFan
07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Because I'm full of coffee this morning, giddy that the lockout is over, and I've drank enough Kool-Aid for the past ten years to be the same color as a smurf, I'll make a bold prediction.

I'm doing it for two reasons, one, some of you guys need a dog to kick, and if I'm wrong, I'm old enough to take your abuse without crying like a little b*t*h, and two, someone other than the rainbow posters needs to say something positive on these forums :)

Here we go, Rick Smith overcomes his Napoleon complex, and grows a pair. We are going to sign Aso, and we'll follow that up with Sensabaugh. I believe we'll also pick up a decent #2 WR in this process, and get a new punter.

It's gonna be like Christmas around this place by the end of next week, with predictions of Super Bowls by the vast majority. Of course, this won't be enough to overcome our inadequate coach, so once again, we'll be suicidal by the end of the season :)

Kick away boys hehe

stingray
07-25-2011, 08:54 AM
According to Shefter, Teams can begin sigining free agents tomorrow at noon.

Señor Stan
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
This is going to be a crazy week!

Bring it on!!!

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 09:32 AM
We are going to sign Aso, and we'll follow that up with Sensabaugh.
I also think this will happen.

IDEXAN
07-25-2011, 09:42 AM
According to Shefter, Teams can begin sigining free agents tomorrow at noon.
Our own, other teams FAs, or both ?

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Our own, other teams FAs, or both ?

We can start signing our own FA, UDFA, and draft picks at noon today. We can start talking to UFA and teams about trades at noon today. We can start signing UFA at noon tomorrow. Trades can be officially declared on Saturday.

These times are EST I assume.

fiasco west
07-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I am optimistic about Aso.

Clayton thinks the Texans and the Bucs are the leading suitors. I just think other teams like the Jets...Eagles...Ravens, CB isn't that big a need. I hope the Texans just make a offer no other team really cares to match and one Nnamdi can't refuse.

I just gots a good feeling about this offseason. Ravens aren't going to blow a ton of cap and money on a position they don't even need, neither are the Jets. If they sign CBs they will be value guys, not a big splash like Nnamdi. Eagles are the only team that really scares me.

thunderkyss
07-25-2011, 10:05 AM

Too many people here want Aso.

Too many people "in the know" say we are in the running.

Chances are we aren't going to get him.

Think..... Jason Allen as your veteran Corner.

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Clayton thinks the Texans and the Bucs are the leading suitors.
Peter King has emphatically stated that the Bucs will not sign him, FWIW.

I think it'll be between us, the Cowboys, and the Raiders.

TEXANS84
07-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Been saying it since before last season even ended: Weddle is a must for the Texans.

I would love to see Weddle and Wilson in a Texans uniform.

Shaft75
07-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I would love to see Weddle and Wilson in a Texans uniform.

Eugene?

HOU-TEX
07-25-2011, 11:56 AM
We can start signing our own FA, UDFA, and draft picks at noon today. We can start talking to UFA and teams about trades at noon today. We can start signing UFA at noon tomorrow. Trades can be officially declared on Saturday.

I don't think anything's set in stone right now. The players are just now on their conference call discussing new details of the CBA. They can't do anything until the players vote, and pass the CBA.

I also read that their are GM's that don't even know the exact timeline (probably Rick).

After all the BS these asshats have put us through...I'll wait for the results from the vote before poppin the cork

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't think anything's set in stone right now. The players are just now on their conference call discussing new details of the CBA. They can't do anything until the players vote, and pass the CBA.

I also read that their are GM's that don't even know the exact timeline (probably Rick).

After all the BS these asshats have put us through...I'll wait for the results from the vote before poppin the cork

I wouldn't bet on the players rejecting this proposal.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't bet on the players rejecting this proposal.

I agree, but they still have to approve it before any type of event timeline can begin.

Doppelganger
07-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Eugene?

Josh Wilson. Ravens CB who is from Houston.

HoustonFrog
07-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Should be interesting. If they are going to make a splash this is the year to do it. I think the Aso sweepsteaks is going to an outsider....good team/less money than expected because of team. I know many here say the almighty dollar always speak but coming from the Raiders he has to have it in his head to go elite or close to elite.

Doppelganger
07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I want to see Htown make a big splash. Even if it doesn't work out, it makes the team fun and interesting. Its hard to get up for a team when they fill their holes with minor players.

texanhead08
07-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd love to have him lining up at CB for us but I will believe it when he signs.

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Should be interesting. If they are going to make a splach this is the year to do it. I think the Aso sweepsteaks is going to an outsider....good team/less money than expected because of team. I know many here say the almighty dollar always speak but coming from the Raiders he has to have it in his head to go elite or close to elite.

How do you like the 'Boys chances?

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Now, this is the proposed timeline:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=mzjgt.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

HoustonFrog
07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
How do you like the 'Boys chances?

0% for Aso. I'm not sure if Jerry is trying to learn a lesson or what but the last 5 years they have been more prone to sign vets that fit than big names. The only "big name" they really signed (not including trade for Roy W.) was PacMan and that was more of an experiment at a discount rate so they could cut him. They are in cap trouble and need to sign OL Doug Free first and formost. After that I'm not sure what they will have unless they cut Barber and a bunch of vets. All reports are they won't attempt it. My only hope that makes it 1% is that they didn't draft CB and Jerry is too quiet about it. But he may just think Jenkins and Scandrick rebound and Newman stays as a vet. I see them chasing Safeties...Huff.

drs23
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
0% for Aso. I'm not sure if Jerry is trying to learn a lesson or what but the lasrt 5 years they have been more prone to sign vets that fit than big games. The only "big name" they really signed (not including trade for Roy W.) was PacMan and that was more of an experiment at a discount rate so they could cut him. They are in cap trouble and need to sign OL Doug Free first and formost. After that I'm not sure what they will have unless they cut Barber and a bunch of vets. All reports are they won't attempt it. My only hope that makes it 1% is that they didn't draft CB and Jerry is too quiet about it. But he may just think Jenkins and Scandrick rebound and Newman stays as a vet. I see them chasing Safeties...Huff.

That's what they were saying on NFLN last night.

TexCanada
07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Peter King has emphatically stated that the Bucs will not sign him, FWIW.

I think it'll be between us, the Cowboys, and the Raiders.

I think the Eagles would be a top contender too.

Trail.Blazr
07-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Now, this is the proposed timeline:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=mzjgt.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

why do the jets and texicans start 2 days after everyone else?

drs23
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I think the Eagles would be a top contender too.

Everything I've heard/read say he's not a good fit in Philly as he's a cover type corner and the Iggles have a new DC that will play way more zone. FWIW

JB
07-25-2011, 01:55 PM
why do the jets and texicans start 2 days after everyone else?

I think it is because they play the first preseason game on Monday instead of Sat.

76Texan
07-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info!

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Official schedule, per ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6799301/latest-nfl-timeline-starts-tuesday?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines):

• Monday: The NFL will announce that teams can go to 90-man rosters and the official free-agent list will be distributed to teams.

• Tuesday: Trading begins. Teams can reach agreements with rookies and undrafted free agents beginning at 10 a.m. ET. Teams can reach agreements with all free agents and signed players are allowed to enter team facilities.

• Wednesday: Players can begin reporting to training camps 15 days before their first preseason games. According to the proposed timeline, 10 teams would report on Wednesday, 10 more on Thursday and 10 additional teams on Friday. The New York Jets and Houston Texans would be the last two teams to report, on Sunday.

• Thursday: Teams can begin to cut players at 4 p.m. ET.

• Friday: Teams can begin filing transactions to the league office at 6 p.m. ET.

• Aug. 4: Deadline for recertification and ratification of the collective bargaining agreement by the players.

gafftop
07-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Thankful strike is over, but I have a bad feeling about our braintrust's performance during the chaotic period starting tomorrow. (based on past deals Dan O big money, Chris Brown, Green,Jackson, going young in secondary, .......) Whatever happens I think we will see without a doubt what we have in the front office after this period is over. I just hope we are not asking questions like why didn't we trade him versus letting him go, why did we ever draft this player this year, or what are they doing? C'mon Kubiak/Smith surprise me.

TexCanada
07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Everything I've heard/read say he's not a good fit in Philly as he's a cover type corner and the Iggles have a new DC that will play way more zone. FWIW

Interesting, thanks.

Section516
07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
FWIW; Rashad Butler said on Radio, he will NOT be a Texan this year.

The_Raheel Raheel Ramzanali
by StephStradley
Rashad Butler (as told on nuno and raheel show) will not be a Texan and hopes to sign with the Redskins this season @StephStradley

Shaft75
07-25-2011, 03:11 PM

by StephStradley
Rashad Butler (as told on nuno and raheel show) will not be a Texan and hopes to sign with the Redskins this season @StephStradley

He was worthless anyways. On, on, on to tha next one...

HoustonFrog
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM

I thought so too but people like LZ think he will be a FA diamond in the rough, so to speak. The last 2 were from yesterday before this came out

http://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein @
@RossTuckerNFL Take a look at Rashad Butler (LT from Texans) as a sleeper via free agency. Long arms and good feet
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
Butler has long arms, good feet and could be solid in pass protection with more reps & experience. He's better than many starters at LT now

Lance Zierlein
I'm not predicting Rashad Butler will be a star, but you can win in the league with just decent LTs & Butler could end up being a player.
20 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm sorry to see him go. I thought he performed well during Brown's suspension and I would have liked to have kept him as long as possible. He's a good fit for this offense.

The Redskins are a perfect fit for him.

IDEXAN
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Here's a factor that will make this whole process even more complex -
the new CBA and the therefor the new NFL year begin Aug. 4 which of course is just next week, and that means teams have to be under the new cap at that time.

Doppelganger
07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Here's a factor that will make this whole process even more complex -
the new CBA and the therefor the new NFL year begin Aug. 4 which of course is just next week, and that means teams have to be under the new cap at that time.

I'm surprised he lasted here as long as he did. He has the makings of a serviceable OT in a league hungry for them. It was not realistic to think we could keep him long term.

False Start
07-25-2011, 04:18 PM

by StephStradley

Its been obvious for awhile now he doesn't want to play here. See ya "RB2Cool" don't let the door hit ya. :fingergun:

Dash
07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
1. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders:

Julius Peppers topped last year's market because of his ability to sack the quarterback. Asomugha, 30, the headliner of this free-agent class, closes off his side of the field to quarterbacks. Over the past three seasons, only 52 passes were completed against him. Like Charles Woodson, who left the Raiders to join the Packers, Asomugha has the type of body that could allow him to play until his mid-30s.

Leading suitors: Houston, Tampa Bay. Dark horses: Baltimore, San Francisco

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6783433/nnamdi-asomugha-headlines-2011-free-agent-class

I couldn't help it.

J_R
07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
NickScurfieldMcNair on the Texans' plans in free agency: “I think we’re going to be very aggressive. We have to try to determine how we can get the most value for the money that we spend… It’s very fluid, (but) we’re going to get some quality players.”

Section516
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
A. Frankin, Weddle and Joseph please..

DexmanC
07-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Is the lockout over, yet?

False Start
07-25-2011, 04:51 PM
So...will there be deals, and rumored deals in place tomorrow, that just wont be official until Friday? I hope so, tomorrow will be a fun day.

texanmojo
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Is the lockout over, yet?

It's OVER.

DexmanC
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
It's OVER.

Finally!

nero THE zero
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
So...will there be deals, and rumored deals in place tomorrow, that just wont be official until Friday? I hope so, tomorrow will be a fun day.

Yes.

Deals can be tentatively reached beginning at 9AM CST, but cannot be official until 5PM CST Friday.

Allstar
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
McNair on the Texans' plans in free agency: “I think we’re going to be very aggressive. We have to try to determine how we can get the most value for the money that we spend… It’s very fluid, (but) we’re going to get some quality players.”

Doesn't sound like spending all your cash on Aso to me...

False Start
07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes.

Deals can be tentatively reached beginning at 9AM CST, but cannot be official until 5PM CST Friday.

Cool, good deal. Thanks man. :cool:

GP
07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
NickScurfield

McNair on the Texans' plans in free agency: McNair on the Texans' plans in free agency: “I think we’re going to be very aggressive. We have to try to determine how we can get the most value for the money that we spend… It’s very fluid, (but) we’re going to get some quality players.”

LOL! Look at that shit!

I'm not going to put any words in McNair's mouth, so let's just analyze HIS words OK?

“I (1) think we’re going to be very aggressive. We have (2) to try to determine (3) how we can get the most value for the money that we spend… (4) It’s very fluid, (but) we’re going to get (5) some quality players.”

1.) He "thinks" they're going to be very aggressive. "Think" is awesome, eh?

2.) He says they have "to try." Kubiak would have said we're gonna' "battle," because battlin' sounds like a guy's word and "try" sounds like "trying out for the glee club," I suppose. Same damn thing.

3.) Ah, yes. How can we get the most value for the money we spend. Sorry, kids, I wanted to take you Disney Land buuutttttt your mom and I felt we could stay RIGHT HERE in Yazoo City and spend that money more wisely by using a patented long-term strategy of allocating that same money over a period of maybe 10 years...bowling alley, the movies, you name it!

4.) When he says "it's very fluid...," I wonder if he means there will be fluid poured onto our heads while we hear that it's "raining outside," or if by "it's very fluid...," he means that river is going to be so wild that the Texans choose to wait until other rafters go downstream and test the waters ahead of us??? Hmmm.....maybe a bit of both?

5.) "Some quality players." Sigh. The most troublesome aspect yet.

Watching those comments in slow-motion, it makes me feel less excited about free agency.

I think we have to take the castoffs from other teams (those who shed THEIR dead weight, so they can get the top-tier secondary players). What I think I hear McNair saying is that he's going to let Rick and Wade watch what players are releases and we're going to swoop in and grab them at clearance prices.

We've got lots of bowling and $1 movie shows in store for us. Because that free agency river is going to be the most "fluid" its ever been. Ever. Prepare your umbrellas. I warned you.

GP
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
I've already received positive rep for my "analysis" skills.

And it wasn't from Second Honeymoon. Wasn't from Steel B Texan either.

Next up: I will have your winning lottery ticket numbers for you. LOL.

rollinstone18
07-25-2011, 05:15 PM
LOL! Look at that shit!

I'm not going to put any words in McNair's mouth, so let's just analyze HIS words OK?

“I (1) think we’re going to be very aggressive. We have (2) to try to determine (3) how we can get the most value for the money that we spend… (4) It’s very fluid, (but) we’re going to get (5) some quality players.”

1.) He "thinks" they're going to be very aggressive. "Think" is awesome, eh?

2.) He says they have "to try." Kubiak would have said we're gonna' "battle," because battlin' sounds like a guy's word and "try" sounds like "trying out for the glee club," I suppose. Same damn thing.

3.) Ah, yes. How can we get the most value for the money we spend. Sorry, kids, I wanted to take you Disney Land buuutttttt your mom and I felt we could stay RIGHT HERE in Yazoo City and spend that money more wisely by using a patented long-term strategy of allocating that same money over a period of maybe 10 years...bowling alley, the movies, you name it!

4.) When he says "it's very fluid...," I wonder if he means there will be fluid poured onto our heads while we hear that it's "raining outside," or if by "it's very fluid...," he means that river is going to be so wild that the Texans choose to wait until other rafters go downstream and test the waters ahead of us??? Hmmm.....maybe a bit of both?

5.) "Some quality players." Sigh. The most troublesome aspect yet.

Watching those comments in slow-motion, it makes me feel less excited about free agency.

I think we have to take the castoffs from other teams (those who shed THEIR dead weight, so they can get the top-tier secondary players). What I think I hear McNair saying is that he's going to let Rick and Wade watch what players are releases and we're going to swoop in and grab them at clearance prices.

We've got lots of bowling and $1 movie shows in store for us. Because that free agency river is going to be the most "fluid" its ever been. Ever. Prepare your umbrellas. I warned you.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-52YT9zp5YSI/Tf6mhAOUSSI/AAAAAAAAAis/X3JZnwvzZJ4/s1600/Debbie+Downer.jpg

you're the worst.

GP
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey everybody!

I just got this tweet from Bob McNair himself!

@bobbymoneybags4life >> Hey y'allz! Free Agenzy about to begin! Beers for everyone, it's on me!

Here's your beer, everyone:

http://lovegirls.co.uk/content/articles/pissweiser.jpg

LMAO! Man, this is the one time I wish I could give myself some rep. I mean, I already self-fulfill other areas of my life....so why not? Wonder if anybody will read past the Pissweiser pic. God I hope not. Now that I think about it, this post is in "bad taste." LOL! ROFLMAO! More rep! :crazed:

drs23
07-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey everybody!

LMAO! Man, this is the one time I wish I could give myself some rep. I mean, I already self-fulfill other areas of my life....so why not? Wonder if anybody will read past the Pissweiser pic. God I hope not. Now that I think about it, this post is in "bad taste." LOL! ROFLMAO! More rep! :crazed:

Hope everyone enjoys theirs.

All I got was Un equis rojo. :foottap:

Damn, it came up when I posted a reply. What's up wit dat?

GP
07-25-2011, 05:26 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-52YT9zp5YSI/Tf6mhAOUSSI/AAAAAAAAAis/X3JZnwvzZJ4/s1600/Debbie+Downer.jpg

you're the worst.

In all comedy, there is an element of truth that makes it funny to begin with.

So to all of you, I say: "You're welcome. This beer's on me." Literally.

b0ng
07-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I've already received positive rep for my "analysis" skills.

And it wasn't from Second Honeymoon. Wasn't from Steel B Texan either.

Next up: I will have your winning lottery ticket numbers for you. LOL.

A self-backpat? You can't be that excited over a measley Rep. Your happy the lockout is over aren't you? :)

The1ApplePie
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
OLB Manny Lawson will be a UFA

Hasn't been great in the Pros, but maybe he will come on strong next to old college buddy Mario.

Seems like a good depth signing to me.

Nawzer
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm calling it right now: Texans trade their 6th round pick for next year's 5th and 6th round pick. This trade will save Bob McNair approximately (hold on I have to use my big graphing calculator to figure this out) $4.50. Woohoo!

Doppelganger
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm calling it right now: Texans trade their 6th round pick for next year's 5th and 6th round pick. This trade will save Bob McNair approximately (hold on I have to use my big graphing calculator to figure this out) $4.50. Woohoo!

Sweet! If Bob puts that in the bank by this time next year he will have...wait for it... $4.51!

Nawzer
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Sweet! If Bob puts that in the bank by this time next year he will have...wait for it... $4.51!

And with the Texans luck, that 6th rounder they traded will turn out to be an All-Pro and a first ballot hall of famer. :kubepalm:

badboy
07-25-2011, 08:04 PM
And with the Texans luck, that 6th rounder they traded will turn out to be an All-Pro and a first ballot hall of famer. :kubepalm:I think the last 6th round pick was for center Chris Myers who has started every game for what three years?

GP
07-25-2011, 08:27 PM
A self-backpat? You can't be that excited over a measley Rep. Your happy the lockout is over aren't you? :)

Mayyybbbeeee... (twirls in a circle and giggles like a girl)

Allstar
07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly Gregg filling the NT spot for us, especially if Baltimore screws us out of the Aso sweepstakes.

HoustonFrog
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Just read the Ravens cut McGahee, Heap, Mason and another player. Some speculating it is to open room for run at Aso.

badboy
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly Gregg filling the NT spot for us, especially if Baltimore screws us out of the Aso sweepstakes.Phillips has said he is pleased with the guys on roster for NT so why spend money on another?

Errant Hothy
07-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Just read the Ravens cut McGahee, Heap, Mason and another player. Some speculating it is to open room for run at Aso.

If it's just money I'm not sure anybody can offer as much, as quickly as Tampa Bay.

Allstar
07-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Phillips has said he is pleased with the guys on roster for NT so why spend money on another?

Because we didn't know Kelly was going to be cut. He won't demand a huge contract and can hold the spot down for the next couple years while we find our space eater.

El Tejano
07-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Somebody tie up Kubiak and gag him. A really good TE is on the market.

TEXANRED
07-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Somebody tie up Kubiak and gag him. A really good TE is on the market.

That would be Rick Smith you need to horse collar.

TEXANRED
07-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Because we didn't know Kelly was going to be cut. He won't demand a huge contract and can hold the spot down for the next couple years while we find our space eater.

Every dollar you spend on someone else is one dollar further from signing Aso.

El Tejano
07-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Every dollar you spend on someone else is one dollar further from signing Aso.

But does Kelly solve that need at DT that we also haven't fixed yet?

Big Lou
07-25-2011, 11:56 PM
If this was answered already I apologize.

I know we can talk to FA's tomorrow but its not official until Friday or Saturday, but can teams announce they have signed someone?

Kust hoping that tomoorrow at Noon Pacific Time I'm doing cartwheels because Rick gotter dun!!!!

Man I miss that guy the Chron had back when we were "trying" to sign Michael Turner. I was checking his blog every 3 minutes for 24 hours. Was so sad that he passed away.

mariowillshine15
07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
If this was answered already I apologize.

I know we can talk to FA's tomorrow but its not official until Friday or Saturday, but can teams announce they have signed someone?

Kust hoping that tomoorrow at Noon Pacific Time I'm doing cartwheels because Rick gotter dun!!!!

Man I miss that guy the Chron had back when we were "trying" to sign Michael Turner. I was checking his blog every 3 minutes for 24 hours. Was so sad that he passed away.

A deal can be reached but not signed until Friday according to Schefter.

GP
07-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly Gregg filling the NT spot for us, especially if Baltimore screws us out of the Aso sweepstakes.

Speculation that Rex Ryan might want him in NY. Says Gregg was a Rex Ryan favorite when Rex was with the Ravens.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Speculation that Rex Ryan might want him in NY. Says Gregg was a Rex Ryan favorite when Rex was with the Ravens.

Sounds logical, but Didn't the Jets just spend their first 2 draft picks on DTs?

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:34 AM
So who thinks Nnamdi has a new team by 10 am?

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 01:46 AM
So who thinks Nnamdi has a new team by 10 am?

I'm guessing him and his agent are taking calls right now (hope the Texans are one of them) and probably by Wednesday he has an agreement with someone.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm guessing him and his agent are taking calls right now (hope the Texans are one of them) and probably by Wednesday he has an agreement with someone.

Isn't it normal for the top FA to have a deal day 1? I remember Hayneworth signed basically at midnight of FA period.

leebigeztx
07-26-2011, 02:10 AM

My thoughts exactly. I think they're better served getting franklin for 7m, joseph or marshall for 7m, and weddle for 5 vs nmandi for 20m

Wolf6151
07-26-2011, 03:17 AM

I like how you think. Unfortunately it's most likely a fantasy but it sure is a nice one.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 03:34 AM
Frankly, I like our chances of making ONE big splash than hitting on three separate nice pieces, even if breaking it up and spending it on three guys might help us more.

You have to make sure a helluva lot of things go right to get three pieces like that.

Malloy
07-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Hey everybody!

Are you drinking alone again? :)

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm really thinking the Joseph re-signs with the Bengals which would take him off the market. I would have loved to get quality signing likes him + weddle, but it's easier to do in Madden... harder to do in real life: convince 2 stud pro bowl players to come play for you.

I still think we have a decent shot at Asomugha and I don't think he's going to command $20MM a year, it should be less (I'm thinking $15-17MM range. I'll bet the percentage of his contract that is guaranteed though will be one of the highest in the league.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm really thinking the Joseph re-signs with the Bengals which would take him off the market. I would have loved to get quality signing likes him + weddle, but it's easier to do in Madden... harder to do in real life: convince 2 stud pro bowl players to come play for you.

I still think we have a decent shot at Asomugha and I don't think he's going to command $20MM a year, it should be less (I'm thinking $15-17MM range. I'll bet the percentage of his contract that is guaranteed though will be one of the highest in the league.

I think anybody that has a chance to get out of Cincy while they can, they will. The only way Cincy re-signs him is if they overpay, JMO.

Texas T
07-26-2011, 10:14 AM

I saw this last night and I was thinking that Mason could be a good replacement for JJ. I seem to recall that he has pretty good hands.

Any thoughts on that?

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I saw this last night and I was thinking that Mason could be a good replacement for JJ. I seem to recall that he has pretty good hands.

Any thoughts on that?

He's 37 years old. Last year was his worst year since 1999.

I don't see him as a replacement for anyone.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
from rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says that Texans will "probably" make free agent Nnamdi Asomugha the biggest offer.
Interesting. For most of the offseason, Houston media speculated that the Texans wouldn't be willing to break the bank for Asomugha despite a desperate need in the secondary. The question now is Asomugha willing to play in Houston? He wants to get into acting (Jets) and has also been linked repeatedly to the Cowboys and Eagles. Jul 26, 9:27 AM
Source: Probasketballtalk on NBCSports.com

zuh?!

thunderkyss
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Any thoughts on that?

I know JJ is inconsistent.

But, I just rewatched the second half of the Ravens game & JJ was on. He did drop a couple, but he made some awesome plays.

I swear I was watching the best freak'n team in football. Offense & defense, the only Raven's score in the second half was a Kick off return.

Like I said, I only watched the second half (for a reason).

gary
07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
He's 37 years old. Last year was his worst year since 1999.

I don't see him as a replacement for anyone.Anyone?

Craig.
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Anyone?

Anyone.

El Tejano
07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
An hour and 10 mins have passed and no word on us agreeing with a FA yet. Not being impatient because I know how close to the vest we keep things but just wondering if anyone has heard anything else other than UDFAs.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
An hour and 10 mins have passed and no word on us agreeing with a FA yet. Not being impatient because I know how close to the vest we keep things but just wondering if anyone has heard anything else other than UDFAs.

It's not time, yet. Is it?

Tailgate
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Since the players can't actually sign until Friday, I am not expecting a mad frenzy of agreements to start flooding in immediately.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM

I think most teams are worried about getting their UDFA's and their own FA's right this minute.

HuttoKarl
07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
ZOMG!!!

Did we sign nambi asumwhaahahaaaah yet?

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Isn't it normal for the top FA to have a deal day 1? I remember Hayneworth signed basically at midnight of FA period.

FA's can't officially sign till Friday, but they could have an agreement in place and that's what's probably happening with a lot of these guys now.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:48 AM
FA's can't officially sign till Friday, but they could have an agreement in place and that's what's probably happening with a lot of these guys now.

Hearing a ton about trades though. Kolb to AZ for DRC and a draft pick is one rumor, and Kyle Orton to the Dolphins for a defensive player and some draft pick(s) is another I'm hearing.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Hasselbeck is about to get overpaid by the Titans.

El Tejano
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Hasselbeck is about to get overpaid by the Titans.

I'm going to hate Hasselbeck to Kenny Britt. I know we can't sign anyone until Friday but we should at least hear if we came to terms with anyone. Even our players we need to re-sign. Also I would've liked to hear if we made any trades (Okoye).

Allstar
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd honestly rather Hasselbeck sign with Tenn than McNabb, who is their apparent plan B.

El Tejano
07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd honestly rather Hasselbeck sign with Tenn than McNabb, who is their apparent plan B.

true dat!

b0ng
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Same here. I like Hasselbeck as a player too but he's obviously on the downside of his career arc.

Right now the Titans QB rotation goes Jake Locker, ??????, Rusty Smith. I love the NFL.

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Kolb to Arizona makes sense and something that's been rumored for a while now. Hope to hear more updates throughout the day.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Hearing a ton about trades though. Kolb to AZ for DRC and a draft pick is one rumor, and Kyle Orton to the Dolphins for a defensive player and some draft pick(s) is another I'm hearing.

Where are you hearing trade rumors?

Section516
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Twitter is saying DRC from Cards + draft pick for Kolb from Eagles.

Originally thought i saw it from Schefter, but i lie.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Twitter mostly

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Twitter mostly

Do you need a twitter account to follow/monitor twitter?

drs23
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Yes, you do.

CretorFrigg
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM

You can browse through anybody's twitter without an account if they don't have any privacy settings (which most people don't), but you won't be able to receive any automatic updates.

drs23
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
You can browse through anybody's twitter without an account if they don't have any privacy settings (which most people don't), but you won't be able to receive any automatic updates.

That's how much I'm hip then. I went and clicked on follow Adam Schefter and a pop up said I had to set up an account.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Twitter has a lot---and I mean a LOT---of idiocy, but damn, there's a ton of solid news on it.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Twitter has a lot---and I mean a LOT---of idiocy, but damn, there's a ton of solid news on it.

Yup, I'm getting it straight from the horses mouth following nothing but players. No media of sorts spinning it or hearing from sources from Ethiopia.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Yup, I'm getting it straight from the horses mouth following nothing but players. No media of sorts spinning it or hearing from sources from Ethiopia.

Well, players put tons of spin themselves.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Can someone post the twitter handles of the top people to follow?

Adam Schefter -
Chris Mortenson -
Jason LaConfora -
Miley Cyrus -

Am I missing anyone?

ThaShark316
07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Adam Schefter -
Chris Mortenson -
Jason LaConfora -
Miley Cyrus -

Am I missing anyone?

Nicole "coco" Austin...dat ass is delicious.

But no really, follow PFT...local guys like Lance Zierlin....etc.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Adam Schefter - http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
Chris Mortenson - http://twitter.com/#!/mortreport
Jason LaConfora - http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora
Miley Cyrus -

Am I missing anyone?

See above. Plus http://twitter.com/#!/AlbertBreer

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Also @espn_aflsouth, @profootballtalk, @darrenrovell (for sports business), @buccigross, @nfldraftinsider

Too many guys.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys!

djohn2oo8
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Adam Schefter reports: namdi down to Jets and Texans

On SC

False Start
07-26-2011, 02:34 PM

On SC

He'll be a Jet.

Section516
07-26-2011, 02:34 PM
awexler Adam Wexler
by StephStradley
MT great stuff on Texans today RT @SportsMT: @davidcanter on @sportstalk790, E Weddle in talks w/ several teams.Texans "there is interest"

Allstar
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM

On SC
WHAT? care to elaborate? Did it sound like his opinion or was there a source?

drs23
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM

On SC

That would surely suck if Aso lands there. Damn what a pair of corners!

J_R
07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
by Brandon Williams - Newman could be CB target for Texans

The Texans will keep an eye on what the Cowboys do with CB Terence Newman, who would count $10 million against Dallas' cap this season. Newman may not survive the Cowboys salary cap purge, which would make him an affordable fit for the Texans if the former Pro Bowler hits the open market. Texans RapidReports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/HOU (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/HOU)

When I think Terrence Newman, I think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pROZEovEyNE)

beerlover
07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
He'll be a Jet.

didn't Revis hold out for more money? how would he react to Aso making more? Texans should be front runners.

djohn2oo8
07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
WHAT? care to elaborate? Did it sound like his opinion or was there a source?

He did say the Texans will offer the most money and years, just down to if he really wants to play here

ThaShark316
He'll be a Jet.

Don't be so sure...NYJ has a ton of players they must re-up with.

Doppelganger

On SC
CMon NA be the savior in Htown not a cog in NYC!

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 02:38 PM

How can the Jets afford to have Revis and NA?

False Start

Yeah, I'm trying some reverse psychology here, lol.

Porky
He'll be a Jet.

That's because....

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

When you're a Jet,
If the spit hits the fan,
You got brothers around,
You're a family man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You're home with your own:
When company's expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital J,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet,
You stay a Jet!

nero THE zero
07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Also @espn_aflsouth, @profootballtalk, @darrenrovell (for sports business), @buccigross, @nfldraftinsider

Too many guys.

@SigmundBloom
@Joe_Bryant
@awexler
@caplannfl
@NickScurfield
@StephStradley
@MattWaldman
@FO_DougFarrar

djohn2oo8
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
awexler Adam Wexler
by StephStradley
MT great stuff on Texans today RT @SportsMT: @davidcanter on @sportstalk790, E Weddle in talks w/ several teams.Texans "there is interest"

:hurrah:

HoustonFrog

I think Hass is alot better for Tenn than McNabb. I think McNabb has deteriorated badly. I think Hass still has plenty of skill, just injured alot the last 2 years. If he is healthy is good for them.

HOU-TEX
Found on Twitter:

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I honestly cant imagine Nnamdi's personality fitting in New York.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 02:41 PM
That's because....

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

When you're a Jet,
If the spit hits the fan,
You got brothers around,
You're a family man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You're home with your own:
When company's expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital J,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet,
You stay a Jet!

Dude. If ANYTHING EVER deserved a negrep...

Section516
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM
NNmadi + Revis = Who they losing?

They gotta cut someone..Don't have that many, and they franchised Harris their LB..

Losing those WR's..

Worth the risk to jets with their already anemic at times offense?

MistaRed
07-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Barring injury, a combo of Nnamdi and Revis.....DB voltron is formed

ThaShark316
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
NNmadi + Revis = Who they losing?

They gotta cut someone..Don't have that many, and they franchised Harris their LB..

Losing those WR's..

Worth the risk to jets with their already anemic at times offense?

I've talked to a few Jets fans (online/msg boards, that is) and they don't see it Asomugha in NY at all.

Señor Stan
07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
He'll be a Jet.

That would be quite a feet for the Jets. He could be the heart and sole of that team. Texans will just toe the line as usual. Hopefully McNair can foot the bill.

Rex Ryan approves this post.

Porky
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
If the Jets land Aso to pair with Revis, is that potentially the best pair of corners on one team in the modern NFL? I can't think of a better tandom at the moment. They would only need to be ok on offense because teams wouldn't be able to run up scores on them at all.

Errant Hothy
07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
That would be quite a feet for the Jets. He could be the heart and sole of that team. Texans will just toe the line as usual. Hopefully McNair can foot the bill.

Rex Ryan approves this post.

Lies!

MOre things need to be afoot for Rex to approve of it.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I've talked to a few Jets fans (online/msg boards, that is) and they don't see it Asomugha in NY at all.

I hope they are right and don't get Aso.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
If the Jets land Aso to pair with Revis, is that potentially the best pair of corners on one team in the modern NFL? I can't think of a better tandom at the moment. They would only need to be ok on offense because teams wouldn't be able to run up scores on them at all.
Maybe of all times! Who was Neon Deion paired with during his prime? I can't remember.

What if the Texans were to sign Nnamdi and Weddle!? One can dream right?

HoustonFrog
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Maybe of all times! Who was Neon Deion paired with during his prime? I can't remember.

What if the Texans were to sign Nnamdi and Weddle!? One can dream right?

Larry Brown with the Boys in 95. Maybe Bobble Head..Merton Hanks.. or Eric wright for the 49ers...not sure Falcons.

Señor Stan
07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Lies!

MOre things need to be afoot for Rex to approve of it.

It's a shoe in! Rex will sock it to 'em. Twitter says that he is actively stocking Aso.

IDEXAN
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM

They couldn't possibly tie that much up in just CBs, no matter how good they are and how important the postion is.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Tim McKyer in Atlanta was a great duo.
Eric Davis in Frisco.
In Dallas it was Larry Brown and Kevin Smith.
In Washington, it was Champ freaking Bailey.
Forget Baltimore.

Can you imagine Champ Bailey and Deion? Wow.

ChampionTexan
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Tim McKyer in Atlanta was a great duo.
Eric Davis in Frisco.
In Dallas it was Larry Brown and Kevin Smith.
In Washington, it was Champ freaking Bailey.
Forget Baltimore.

Can you imagine Champ Bailey and Deion? Wow.

Top 10 greatest cornerback tandems in NFL history

Deion Sanders and anyone
Deion Sanders started opposite 13 other cornerbacks, and no matter who started on the other side the defense was better with No. 21 baiting QBs.

link (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d811aa3f4&template=with-video-with-comments)

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 03:10 PM
It's a shoe in! Rex will sock it to 'em. Twitter says that he is actively stocking Aso.

If this is true...he gone. :thinking: The Jets or Texans...Jets or Texans....Pffft! No brainer

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
If this is true...he gone. :thinking: The Jets or Texans...Jets or Texans....Pffft! No brainer

Why? Nnamdi's personality doesn't fit with the brash arrogant Jets. We can offer him more money, AND a better fit for his skillset.

No-brainer, you're right.

HoustonFrog
07-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Love it. I follow Schefter, Evan Silva and RotoWorld and it is up to the minute

MistaRed
07-26-2011, 03:15 PM
OT Steve Smith will be traded to the Ravens for a 3rd and 6th rounder in next years draft.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Why? Nnamdi's personality doesn't fit with the brash arrogant Jets. We can offer him more money, AND a better fit for his skillset.

No-brainer, you're right.

Personality? Who cares about personality?

He's already said he wants to win and now they're saying he's willing to take less $. The Jets have been to the AFC Championship 2 years in a row. The Texans have been nowhere. Yup, still a no-brainer

steelbtexan
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
How can the Jets afford to have Revis and NA?

Because they know how to manipulate the cap. They can cut guys like Edwards/Cromartie/Jenkins to create enough space to sign Aso.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Personality? Who cares about personality?

He's already said he wants to win and now they're saying he's willing to take less $. The Jets have been to the AFC Championship 2 years in a row. The Texans have been nowhere. Yup, still a no-brainer

Alright.

ChampionTexan
07-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Because they know how to manipulate the cap. They can cut guys like Edwards/Cromartie/Jenkins to create enough space to sign Aso.

2010 was the final year of each of those three players contracts with the Jets. They are not under contract, and currently count zero against the Jets cap - hard to get less than that.

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Follow the Raiders thread on Nnamdi, they are tracking him too:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/176771-nnamdi-watch.html

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Don't know how much you can read into it but I havn't read this before. Quote is from a January 2011 article.
Asomugha expressed interest in playing with Revis last year. "Me and Revis have been talking to Rex (Ryan) to try to do something," Asomugha said last February. "You may see us in the future. There's a little bit of talk going on. Either he's coming to Oakland or something else will happen."

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-01-11/sports/27087048_1_darrelle-revis-rex-ryan-dwi-case

Some other stuff I've read about the Jets in general, it seems the players actually like Rex and that he can be a key component on why a player goes there. Particularly on defense.

Ugh! I don't want this to happen.

Section516
07-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Via forum talk, on the raiders forum, from another forum..SO FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

Buccaneers are offering former Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha a contract reported as a 4yr/$58.5M contract with $22M Guaranteed.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 03:31 PM
So if that offer is true, then its closer to 15 mil a year than 20. That's a good thing.

MFG16
07-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Follow the Raiders thread on Nnamdi, they are tracking him too:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/176771-nnamdi-watch.html

Their saying Tamba Bay offered him a 4yr/58.5M 22 gauranteed contract. Don't know if that is accurate, but that seems reasonable. Also saying that its down to the Texans and Jets for Asomugha. Anyone have an actual source for this?

Section516
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
NickSpano Nick Spano
Per Schefter (And I said it earlier) #Jets and #Texans are front-runners for Nnamdi Asomugha.
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

However, I'm not seeing it on Schefter's twatter now that i look into it..

Humor..

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 03:39 PM
NickSpano Nick Spano
Per Schefter (And I said it earlier) #Jets and #Texans are front-runners for Nnamdi Asomugha.
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

However, I'm not seeing it on Schefter's twatter now that i look into it..

Humor..

I read that it was said on SC, not on his Twitter.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Their saying Tamba Bay offered him a 4yr/58.5M 22 gauranteed contract. Don't know if that is accurate, but that seems reasonable. Also saying that its down to the Texans and Jets for Asomugha. Anyone have an actual source for this?

Chris Mortensen mostly.

steelbtexan
07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
2010 was the final year of each of those three players contracts with the Jets. They are not under contract, and currently count zero against the Jets cap - hard to get less than that.

Yes, but teams can be over the cap in the offseason. They just have to be under the cap at the start of the season. Last yrs salaries count against the cap until FA's are signed by another team. It's an accounting thing.

Bottom line is teams like like the Jets are able to make moves to sign FA's like Aso. Teams like the Texans cant seem to be able to sign top tier FA's. But they sure talk a good game.

It looks like this will continue the way Billionaire BoBBy operates. After all he doesn't want to do something crazy.

Section516
07-26-2011, 03:43 PM
I read that it was said on SC, not on his Twitter.

I just wanted to say twatter..j/k.

Thanks, was wondering and thinking we got 'trolled'

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Buccaneers are offering former Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha a contract reported as a 4yr/$58.5M contract with $22M Guaranteed.

That's nowhere close to Revis' deal. Revis got $32.5M guaranteed (about 70% of the total contract).

I've been thinking Nnamdi's going to be getting $15M-$17M / year but his guaranteed portion will be over half of the contract. $22M is much too low.

badboy
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Buccaneers are offering former Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha a contract reported as a 4yr/$58.5M contract with $22M Guaranteed.Nnamdi, want above or my offer?

Things we know about Aso; if he remained with Oakland his salary this season $17m. He or his agent Condon has allegedly said he wants $45m up front. While any player can be hurt any play, all are evaluated on history; Nnamdi's is good. In a five year contract, he would enter his fifth year having turned 35 that July.

We can offer 5 year $80m with $25m bonus (just over DRs deal with Falcons) which divided over contract is $5m year. $80m- $25= $55m divided over 5 years. The salary can be paid anyway the Texans and Nnamdi agree. So $25m upfront + $15m (first year)= $40m guaranteed first year and a $20m cap hit [$15 + $5)(where Mario's cap is allegedly). Structure second and third years @ $7m + $5m (bonus) for $12m cap hit each year. This leaves $26m last two years paid as agreed on. Of course each of us including Smith can move numbers to fit Texans need. Usually, a contract is back loaded as player of ASO age would be cut last year or two with only dead money left. ASO should earn all 5 years.

ChampionTexan
07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, but teams can be over the cap in the offseason. They just have to be under the cap at the start of the season. Last yrs salaries count against the cap until FA's are signed by another team. It's an accounting thing.

Bottom line is teams like like the Jets are able to make moves to sign FA's like Aso. Teams like the Texans cant seem to be able to sign top tier FA's. But they sure talk a good game.

It looks like this will continue the way Billionaire BoBBy operates. After all he doesn't want to do something crazy.

So the Texans should cut Vonta Leach to create cap room?

You're completely off base on this. The cap reflects 2011 contractual obligations, and the total for the three guys you mentioned is zero. You may be confusing this with the way the NBA has worked.

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
So the Texans should cut Vonta Leach to create cap room?

Vonta is a FA, so we just wouldn't re-sign him.

My worries is that Dallas just unloaded several contracts to free up space for something. Dallas was rumored as one of several teams to pursue Aso.

The1ApplePie
07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Vonta is a FA, so we just wouldn't re-sign him.

My worries is that Dallas just unloaded several contracts to free up space for something. Dallas was rumored as one of several teams to pursue Aso.

The Boys were over the cap by a wide margin, so they had to cut a lot of money anyways.

Big Lou
07-26-2011, 04:00 PM
The Boys were over the cap by a wide margin, so they had to cut a lot of money anyways.

I just read on theredzone.org that the Cowboys cutting Roy Williams would be a $12 million cap hit. If thats true they ain't signing a jelly donut.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Don't get your hopes up, but don't slit your wrist either before he signs on Friday.

The1ApplePie
07-26-2011, 04:07 PM
There are a ton of front-seven roational guys out there this year

Alan Branch, NT
Manny Lawson, OLB
DE Marcus Spears, DE

Wouldn't mind the Texans giving them a look. Maybe not starters, but good depth.

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Don't know how much you can read into it but I havn't read this before. Quote is from a January 2011 article.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-01-11/sports/27087048_1_darrelle-revis-rex-ryan-dwi-case

Some other stuff I've read about the Jets in general, it seems the players actually like Rex and that he can be a key component on why a player goes there. Particularly on defense.

Ugh! I don't want this to happen.

Conflicting reports:

If you talk to people who know Asomugha, you hear that his happiness doesn’t revolve around playing for a team that he views as a lock to win the Super Bowl and that he doesn’t live for the publicity playing for a team like the Jets will provide.

From King Solomon (http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2011/07/sports-illustrated-predicts-asomugha-to-the/)

b0ng
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Conflicting reports:

From King Solomon (http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2011/07/sports-illustrated-predicts-asomugha-to-the/)

Solomon is bull shitting there are lots of reports about Revis and Aso being close as well as the Jets almost getting dinged for a tampering infraction over it last year.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I just read on theredzone.org that the Cowboys cutting Roy Williams would be a $12 million cap hit. If thats true they ain't signing a jelly donut.

Just read on espn somewhere..sorry, no link, but cutting Roy frees up the team 6 million.. Barber, Williams and some other player free up about 15 million.. they are working hard to free up money to go after someone...

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Just can't see the Jets tieing all their money on the CB position. I think they WANT Aso really bad but when it comes to it they will realize that WR is a bigger need for them.

TexCanada
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Just can't see the Jets tieing all their money on the CB position. I think they WANT Aso really bad but when it comes to it they will realize that WR is a bigger need for them.

That's what I think too. I think we will table the bigger offer.

badboy
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Solomon is bull shitting there are lots of reports about Revis and Aso being close as well as the Jets almost getting dinged for a tampering infraction over it last year.Jets have Revis and we have AJ talking to Aso.

Section516
07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
AJ And Aso should just be men about it..

Hey, Aso, I don't want to play you this year. It sucks, Its tiring, and I'd rather look All-Pro against punks like Finnegan..

Hey, Aj, You know what..Going against you is the hardest thing I have to do, man, I could really use some time off..We play each other every darn year. Done deal.

*Sunset*

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 04:25 PM
AJ And Aso should just be men about it..

Hey, Aso, I don't want to play you this year. It sucks, Its tiring, and I'd rather look All-Pro against punks like Finnegan..

Hey, Aj, You know what..Going against you is the hardest thing I have to do, man, I could really use some time off..We play each other every darn year. Done deal.

*Sunset*

Or how about

Hey Aso, you are the best CB in the league and the only way for me to get better is to go up against you every day in practice.

Hey AJ, thanks man, but if I want to overtake Revis, I need to go up against the best WR in the league every day in practice.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah but Revis's and Aso's relationship seems to far outdate any of the stuff I've seen being reported about AJ and Aso.

Like I said though, we won't really know until Friday, and it could easily be some sleeper team like Dallas come in and snatch him up. Either way, I'm not putting much stock into an opinion of a writer down here in Houston right now, especially a Chron worker. For all intents and purposes though, I'm most worried about him just going to the Jets and taking a lot less money than what the Texans are (hopefully) trying to offer him.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Conflicting reports:

Goo! I sure hope it turns out this way!! I havn't heard rumblings about Quintin Mikell. Nnamdi and him would be great GREAT additions to this team.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/free_agent_plaxico_burress_dra.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

Cool.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah but Revis's and Aso's relationship seems to far outdate any of the stuff I've seen being reported about AJ and Aso.

Like I said though, we won't really know until Friday, and it could easily be some sleeper team like Dallas come in and snatch him up. Either way, I'm not putting much stock into an opinion of a writer down here in Houston right now, especially a Chron worker. For all intents and purposes though, I'm most worried about him just going to the Jets and taking a lot less money than what the Texans are (hopefully) trying to offer him.

If the Texans go hard, offer the most money, and lose out, I won't be too bummed. If they instead, try to half ass it and offer an average contract I will be disappointed. The only thing we control is our offer to him. If it is a strong offer and we don't pull it off, we don't do it. But it has to be strong.

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/free_agent_plaxico_burress_dra.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

Cool.

Hmm...would be interesting I guess? Just hope he's in football shape, and that they aren't hoping for the second coming of Michael Vick.

Seems doubtful to me considering Mr. McNair's stance on "quality off the field guys".

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Cool.

Sheesh. This offseason will say a lot about this franchise. If we sign Plaxico Burress and Nnamdi Asomugha... it'd be pretty easy for us to see that the front office does in fact want to win. LOL

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Anybody know what the talk around our division is like about all this? If I were a Colts, Jags or Titans fan I would be pretty concerned about the Nnamdi/Texans talk. :evil: muahahahaa

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Hmm...would be interesting I guess? Just hope he's in football shape, and that they aren't hoping for the second coming of Michael Vick.

Seems doubtful to me considering Mr. McNairs stance on "quality off the field guys".

I'm surprised that he'd be the WR we're after because of the 'off the field' issues.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I won't mind signing Plaxico because I know he'll be on his best behavior this year. I'd love to line him up opposite Andre.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Anybody know what the talk around our division is like about all this? If I were a Colts, Jags or Titans fan I would be pretty concerned about the Nnamdi/Texans talk. :evil: muahahahaa

I think the Colts would be worried....I don't think the Jags or Titans have big expectations for next year.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I won't mind signing Plaxico because I know he'll be on his best behavior this year. I'd love to line him up opposite Andre.

Me too.. as being a Giants fan, it sucked to have to let him go, but heck, he was going off to jail.. he has decent speed going straight and just gets up there for those jump balls...If the price was right and he was to select Houston, that would be a great 1-2 WR tandem !

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Yessir, I've already stated my case for Plax. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Heck, shooting yourself and spending time in jail for it is more than paying for it, imo

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Plax comments on NFL Network earlier this month:

As for the Texans, he said: "When you say Houston, all I can say is 'Wow.' That's all I can say, because I give respect where respect is due. And I believe Andre Johnson is the best wide receiver in football. ... The way he's playing down in Houston, they're getting everything going in the right direction. Matt Schaub has really taken off as an elite quarterback. I think Arian Foster is one of the top-five running backs in this league. I think that team is bound for the playoffs this year and looking forward to great things."

link (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/plaxico-burress-likes-a-few-teams-523295.html)

Allstar
07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
I think the Colts would be worried....I don't think the Jags or Titans have big expectations for next year.

Every Jags fan I come across believes that they are right in the thick of things for the division this year.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Plax comments on NFL Network earlier this month:

link (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/plaxico-burress-likes-a-few-teams-523295.html)

Hopefully Aso thinks the same. If signing Cheddar Bob would bring in Aso, I am all for it!

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Every Jags fan I come across believes that they are right in the thick of things for the division this year.

Well in a way, a lot of us here think the same of the Texans.. yet they have have never made the playoffs..So, until they do it..we are a lot like Jags fan on that matter.

TexanBacker93
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Yeah, but have you talked to all 10 of them yet?

Allstar
07-26-2011, 04:56 PM
The Jags are like the anti-Texans. They overachieve as much as we underachieve.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Well then I'd think they'd be worried about Aso signing here. That will for sure take out the possibility of winning via Hail Mary...or at least I'd hope so.

eriadoc
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
The Jags are like the anti-Texans. They overachieve as much as we underachieve.

LOL, that's not what a guy in JAX told me earlier today. He expressed frustration about losing to the Texans with the playoffs on the line. I just chuckled.

badboy
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
If the Texans go hard, offer the most money, and lose out, I won't be too bummed. If they instead, try to half ass it and offer an average contract I will be disappointed. The only thing we control is our offer to him. If it is a strong offer and we don't pull it off, we don't do it. But it has to be strong.But how will we know unless ASO tells what offer was? Will fans accept anything Texans say was the offer?

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Well then I'd think they'd be worried about Aso signing here. That will for sure take out the possibility of winning via Hail Mary...or at least I'd hope so.

I don't know, Quin will be the FS..... lol

Yeah, but have you talked to all 10 of them yet?
:spit: That was awesome. REP

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Eagles not re-signing any of their UFA's. Look for a big splash in FA for that team, may also be making a move for Aso.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Eagles not re-signing any of their UFA's. Look for a big splash in FA for that team, may also be making a move for Aso.

Was just going to post this.

They are looking to make a big move, they are the team I am most worried about when it comes to Aso.

Jets and Ravens have other needs.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Not sure I'm too worried about Philly. If Rodgers-Cromartie goes to Philly in a Kolb deal, then I don't know if they'll be so adamant about Aso. Plus there's the whole "doesnt fit the scheme" thing. I put that in quotes because with a player like Aso, you make the scheme work.

Allstar
Was just going to post this.

They are looking to make a big move, they are the team I am most worried about when it comes to Aso.

Jets and Ravens have other needs.

I'm really hoping that Kolb for DRC deal goes down.

J_R
Eagles have some of their own to take care of(at some point). Vick I believe and Jackson too(report today he could miss start of TC). Of course they could make a run at someone.(not sure that guy is Asomugha. If rumors are true, Kolb will be dealt for D-Rodgers Cromartie +pick(s). I dont see Asomugha as fit.)
-----
Dont think you'll find many Texans fans complaining but

JasonLaCanfora (http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora) Jason La Canfora
As I reported a while back, SEA was high on Tarvaris Jackson. He will sign there. Matt Leinart likely, too. Seahawks out of Kolb sweepstakes

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Nnamdi has to make up his mind soon, no? He will be very expensive and sort puts all other deals on hold for his prospective suitors.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Forgot about the rumored Kolb deal. Yeah if that happens it's likely they are looking at WRs then.

But has anyone heard anything about who the Texans are going to release? Haven't heard anything while it seems like every other team has already made it clear who they are going to cut or try to resign.

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Forgot about the rumored Kolb deal. Yeah if that happens it's likely they are looking at WRs then.

But has anyone heard anything about who the Texans are going to release? Haven't heard anything while it seems like every other team has already made it clear who they are going to cut or try to resign.

I heard somewhere that we will likely release Okoye. Other than that, nada.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:33 PM

The news you hear is from teams over the cap.

nero THE zero
07-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't know Philly's cap status, but if they are clearing out cap room for a player, you'd have to think it's Cullen Jenkins, right?

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
A Derrick Ward tweet lobbying for Plax

Trying 2 lobby for my big bro @plaxico 2 come play down in Houston with me. About 2 get in Coach Kub's ear & Mr McNair's ear when I get back

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
A Derrick Ward tweet lobbying for Plax

Hey Derrick, lobby for Aso while you are at it!

CretorFrigg
07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey Derrick, lobby for Aso while you are at it!

That's AJ's job! :fingergun:

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Heard on 610 that a deal for Leinhart is in place to Seattle.

Gotta start looking for backup QB's, because I sure as hell don't feel comfortable with Orvlosksuck.

texasguy346
07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
PFT is reporting that the panthers have retained Charles Johnson with a $ 72 million contract with $32million guranteed

TEXANS84
07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
PFT is reporting that the panthers have retained Charles Johnson with a $ 72 million contract with $32million guranteed

Holy hell.

MFG16
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Eagles have some of their own to take care of(at some point). Vick I believe and Jackson too(report today he could miss start of TC). Of course they could make a run at someone.(not sure that guy is Asomugha. If rumors are true, Kolb will be dealt for D-Rodgers Cromartie +pick(s). I dont see Asomugha as fit.)
-----
Dont think you'll find many Texans fans complaining but

JasonLaCanfora (http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora) Jason La Canfora
As I reported a while back, SEA was high on Tarvaris Jackson. He will sign there. Matt Leinart likely, too. Seahawks out of Kolb sweepstakes

Didn't we tender Leinart, and because he was a 1st rounder thats what we would get in return. Does that roll over to the new CBA? I'd be okay with leinart signing anywhere, especially the Seahawks, if we get their 1st round pick.

texasguy346
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Holy hell.

Make that $76 million over 6 years

Errant Hothy
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Aso's eyes just got a bit wider.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 05:59 PM

How many years? if it is 4, 8 mill isn't horrible as a base.

HuttoKarl
07-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Heard on 610 that a deal for Leinhart is in place to Seattle.

Gotta start looking for backup QB's, because I sure as hell don't feel comfortable with Orvlosksuck.

Let Casey do it...may as well pay him for something done on the field. (c:

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Right, but 76 isn't guaranteed. If it is 32 over 6 years, that's a base of 5.3 plus whatever incentives.

That's a pretty reasonable deal actually.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Let Casey do it...may as well pay him for something done on the field. (c:

He will be the new FB when Leach leaves.

False Start

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4066/crazyeyes8.png

Errant Hothy

Ok, that makes so much more sense.

GP
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Sounds logical, but Didn't the Jets just spend their first 2 draft picks on DTs?

There IS a bit of a log jam at the NT spot. Two guys there already.

So you're correct: In a sense, it would mean Rex Ryan becomes a NT collector like Gruden hoarded QBs. Unless they traded one of their current NTs?

I tried to go back and find that tweet last night, but it was gone. I searched espn's NFL twitter feed for it, using keywords Gregg and Rex Ryan, but to no avail. Weird! It was there, and then it was gone.

Maybe it was put up in haste, and taken down because not enough to support the theory? I dunno.

Double Barrel
07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Yessir, I've already stated my case for Plax. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Heck, shooting yourself and spending time in jail for it is more than paying for it, imo

I agree completely. Him and AJ would truly be a dynamic duo that would give opposing DC's nightmares, especially when you have a ground attack led by Foster.

Add to that the fact that he really wants to play here...

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Didn't we tender Leinart, and because he was a 1st rounder thats what we would get in return. Does that roll over to the new CBA? I'd be okay with leinart signing anywhere, especially the Seahawks, if we get their 1st round pick.

The new CBA rendered that null because the free agency rules changed back to 4 years.

gary
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM
This is really wild stuff going on.

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 06:07 PM

All 5-6 year tenders were rendered irrelevant per the new deal. So Lienart is no longer tendered due to him having greater than 4 accrued seasons played. Under the past year's 'deal', restricted free agency was changed from 4 years to 6 years, now it is back to 4 years.