PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Activity involving Texans 2011

Pages : 1 [2]

GP
07-26-2011, 05:08 PM
A Derrick Ward tweet lobbying for Plax

Trying 2 lobby for my big bro @plaxico 2 come play down in Houston with me. About 2 get in Coach Kub's ear & Mr McNair's ear when I get back

See, this sort of thing feels too much like Plaxico asking Ward to tweet that.

Most of the times, when I see that rah-rah "I'm going to put in a good word for you, bro!" tweets...I think it's all contrived and planted. Like when you want a job somewhere where your friend works, and so you ask him to put in a good word for you with the boss.

I'll take Walter. He's a known commodity HERE.

I won't hate it if we get him, which I know means JJ is gone, but yet I won't be overly thrilled either. I think we have cohesiveness with our offense right now; a sense of history where all those guys have had years of bonding and will be ready to go to another level when we get to that point. I don't know that Plaxico enters this offense with the ability to fit into it.

But maybe he could.

EDIT: Ya' know what? We could do a lot worse than Plaxico. After taking a second to think about it, I think he is better than Walter. He's a field stretcher more than Walter is...but he has those possession-type abilities that Walter has. Perhaps a notch above Walter. But the money has to be fair to us, IMO.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Most of the times, when I see that rah-rah "I'm going to put in a good word for you, bro!" tweets...I think it's all contrived and planted. Like when you want a job somewhere where your friend works, and so you ask him to put in a good word for you with the boss.

I won't hate it if we get him, which I know means JJ is gone, but yet I won't be overly thrilled either. I think we have cohesiveness with our offense right now; a sense of history where all those guys have had years of bonding and will be ready to go to another level when we get to that point. I don't know that Plaxico enters this offense with the ability to fit into it.

But maybe he could.

EDIT: Ya' know what? We could do a lot worse than Plaxico. After taking a second to think about it, I think he is better than Walter. He's a field stretcher more than Walter is...but he has those possession-type abilities that Walter has. Perhaps a notch above Walter. But the money has to be fair to us, IMO.

He knows from the start he is #2 at best with no chance at #1. That pressure gone along with Houstons marshmallow media(compared gto NY) would really let him just play football and move on from his past issues. Add also Smith would have tons of conduct clauses in his contract and Im betting AJ would help him along as well.

Double Barrel
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM

But maybe he could.

I've always liked Walter and have felt that he's been under-appreciated.

However, he's no Plaxico Burress, who could be a no. 1 on many teams, but he is embracing the idea of being a no. 2 behind AJ. These two WRs would literally give defenses hell, because with our TEs and Foster, Schaub would always have an offensive threat to throw to.

The key part about Burress, though, will be his ability to control his issues. And it is his issues that will most likely prevent the Texans FO from even entertaining the notion of signing him. According to his wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaxico_Burress) page, he's had some team issues, and I always find that troubling for professionals who make a helluva' lot of money. It's not like he doesn't have incentive to follow team rules, so I always question the character of guys who seem unwilling to act like professionals.

That being said, the Texans have to eventually sign some questionable players that have the talent to help us. This is a perfect example of a player with lots of talent that needs to prove that his second chance is worth the risk.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Good News

judybattista Judy Battista
RT @JennyVrentas: Jets extend offer to free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes: http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Good News

RT @JennyVrentas: Jets extend offer to free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes: http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5

Good news indeed.

Skins could still try to top that offer though.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Good News

Why is that good? It means less of a chance they can sign Aso?

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Shows that their priorities are may lie elsewhere. Also if they do sign him he's not going to be relatively cheap. Could take them out of the Aso market.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Exactly, there's absolutely no way they call haul Holmes and Aso. If they extend an offer to Holmes it means they aren't expecting Aso. It's not like they're gonna say "never mind" to Holmes.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Ravens resign Marshall Yanda also.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/07/26/ravens-agree-to-terms-with-yanda/

GP
Shows that their priorities are may lie elsewhere. Also if they do sign him he's not going to be relatively cheap. Could take them out of the Aso market.

And then they might want Weddle back, which might mean $7 mill-per if I read it right in another thread.

If the Jets retain their own guys, it could limit them in trying to get a guy like Aso.

alphajoker
Good News

Good news indeed.

Perhaps because it would be inversely proportional to the Texans chances to signing Aso.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Good news indeed.

Thought the Skins sent an offer to Moss nto Holmes.

Errant Hothy
07-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Reports are the Skins have resigned Moss.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Other than some reports that come off as hunches, things have been eerily quiet on the Nnamdi front today. It doesn't really seem like there is a front runner, and I can't say with 100% certainty that any team is indeed pursuing him. The top FA usually goes first, their soon-to-be big contracts can hold teams hostage while all other teams sign everyone else off.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
And then they might want Weddle back, which might mean $7 mill-per if I read it right in another thread.

If the Jets retain their own guys, it could limit them in trying to get a guy like Aso.

It's also been said that they want to resign Cromartie also. I remember hearing that early in the day but the problem is Cromartie will always put money first and wants to test the market.

They did, but they still have room to offer Holmes and the word is they'd still want Holmes.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Pete Prisco
Jaguars are back in on Weddle. So are Cowboys, Texans and Chargers.

http://twitter.com/#!/PriscoCBS/status/95987354728271872

There is some Weddle news...

GP
07-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Other than some reports that come off as hunches, things have been eerily quiet on the Nnamdi front today. It doesn't really seem like there is a front runner, and I can't say with 100% certainty that any team is indeed pursuing him. The top FA usually goes first, their soon-to-be big contracts can hold teams hostage while all other teams sign everyone else off.

But there could already be a "deal in place" and people have kept it quiet, knowing the dollar amount they need to work around (the amount Aso is getting is already known, which means other players' agents can use it for negotiations with their own players).

I find it hard to believe that for the past several months there hasn't been any type of talks between Aso and teams who are interested. In fact, I think there's a deal in place. There, I said it with certainty.

Somebody has Haynesworth'd a deal with Aso and his agent.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
But there could already be a "deal in place" and people have kept it quiet, knowing the dollar amount they need to work around (the amount Aso is getting is already known, which means other players' agents can use it for negotiations with their own players).

I find it hard to believe that for the past several months there hasn't been any type of talks between Aso and teams who are interested. In fact, I think there's a deal in place. There, I said it with certainty.

Somebody has Haynesworth'd a deal with Aso and his agent.

I had this same thought process, I just figured it would be already announced if so.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I had this same thought process, I just figured it would be already announced if so.

And it would be just like McNair to have planted his recent comments, what with all his talk of "we're going to TRY to be aggressive," and "it will be fluid..." and other low-key phrases.

The Texans organization is very secretive. Hell, they flat out LIED to David Carr when they told him we were drafting Bush...but went right ahead and drafted Mario instead.

I wouldn't put it past those guys. Kubiak looks like Stalin to begin with.

Losing ninja focus. Again. Dammit.

Wolf
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
ArianFoster Arian Foster
I was lost until yoga found me
21 hours ago
in reply to ↑

VontaLeach44
@vleach44 VontaLeach44
@ArianFoster I gonna go this year with u to yoga

http://twitter.com/#!/johnson80

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Well honestly I think the only thing we have going for us is the fact that no one else seems to have anything going for them in the Nnamdi stakes.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Well honestly I think the only thing we have going for us is the fact that no one else seems to have anything going for them in the Nnamdi stakes.

In other words, for what Aso is wanting...other teams feel they already have a secondary that's good enough without him? And teams that might ordinarily want him are too consumed with things like finding a QB or a WR or a RB or other positions.

Which means, MAYBE, the perfect storm exists for the Texans for a change?

Screw the ninja focus. I'm now 100% sold out. DAMMIT. And you're partly responsible.

Playoffs
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Leinart going to Seattle ..... we're screwed. :kitten:

Shaft75
07-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Let me ask this...

Why in the holy hell would the Jets want Aso when they drafted Wilson in the first round last year? Then they would have Revis(1st rounder), Wilson(1st rounder) and Nnamdi(huge investment). Never would happen...

Shaft75
Leinart going to Seattle ..... we're screwed. :kitten:

I know, good riddance!:fans:

Allstar
In other words, for what Aso is wanting...other teams feel they already have a secondary that's good enough without him? And teams that might ordinarily want him are too consumed with things like finding a QB or a WR or a RB or other positions.

Which means, MAYBE, the perfect storm exists for the Texans for a change?

Screw the ninja focus. I'm now 100% sold out. DAMMIT. And you're partly responsible.

Haha, I'm just cautiously optimistic. Hope for the best, expect the worst, thus is the life of a Texans fan.

Maddict5
07-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Let me ask this...

Why in the holy hell would the Jets want Aso when they drafted Wilson in the first round last year? Then they would have Revis(1st rounder), Wilson(1st rounder) and Nnamdi(huge investment). Never would happen...

wilson is relatively cheap as the 31st pick in the draft so doesnt affect it one way or the other...

consider that the texans have a 2nd rounder (harris) and 2 first rounders (kareem and allen off waivers) on their books & are going after nnamdi hard

texanchris
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/free_agent_plaxico_burress_dra.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

looks like texans are interested in plaxico burress after all.

J_R
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/07/free_agent_plaxico_burress_dra.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

looks like texans are interested in plaxico burress after all.

Or could be his agent trying to drum up interest in his client ;)

Citing a source familiar with Plaxico Burress, the Newark Star-Ledger reports that the free agent is drawing interest from the Texans, Rams, and Bears.

This sounds like an agent-driven report. The Chicago Tribune is adamant that Burress is not on the Bears' radar, and the Rams aren't expected to consider signing him, either. The Texans make a small amount of sense -- Kevin Walter can do many of the same things. This story may be a ploy from the Burress camp to attempt to drive up Plax's price tag with the Eagles.

Rey
07-26-2011, 06:46 PM
wilson is relatively cheap as the 31st pick in the draft so doesnt affect it one way or the other...

consider that the texans have a 2nd rounder (harris) and 2 first rounders (kareem and allen off waivers) on their books & are going after nnamdi hard

I heard that Allen makes a pretty good amount.

If signing aso is iminent I would not be surprised if they cut him to save a lot of money.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Per La Canfora:

Texans agree to 1 year vet min deal with DT Damoine Lewis

DocBar
07-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Reports are the Skins have resigned Moss.:spit: Let the mediocrity continue!!! I think Shanny has gone the way of Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells. They think their judgement of a player is infallible. Santana Moss.....:loser

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Warning! The following post may contain extreme dorkiness. Reader discretion advised.

With that out of the way, I just wanted to say that Eric Weddle reminds me of a pokemon called Weedle. Weedle was a pretty useless pokemon, but maybe it evolved into something interesting...I don't know.

http://pokemaniaman.webs.com/weedle.gif

Maddict5
07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
well im out... color me a little underwhelmed on the 'hot & heavy' first day of free agency.

intrigued by our udfa wr's but thought there would be a little more action texans & league wide today

nero THE zero
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Wtf?

mcclain_on_nfl john mcclain
texans have just agreed to new contract with their ot rashad butler.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Warning! The following post may contain extreme dorkiness. Reader discretion advised.

With that out of the way, I just wanted to say that Eric Weddle reminds me of a pokemon called Weedle. Weedle was a pretty useless pokemon, but maybe it evolved into something interesting...I don't know.

Give your man-card to Tex. I believe he's collecting them.

Mike

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Wtf?

Seriously? I thought he wanted out. Awesome news if true.

JCTexan
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Wtf?

I was wondering why everyone was congratulating him on twitter.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Give your man-card to Tex. I believe he's collecting them.

MikeTex likes man cards? Did Houston just go all broke back mountain??

srrono
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
coveted cb Ike Taylor resigned with pit on a four-year deal

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
coveted cb Ike Taylor resigned with pit on a four-year dealwho coveted him? Obviously Pittsburgh. It's surprising to see Pittsburgh resign him, though. They have a history of letting FA's walk.

Carr Bombed
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
one by one FA secondary players are falling off the board. Come on Jonathan Joseph.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
one by one FA secondary players are falling off the board. Come on Jonathan Joseph.May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. Come on Aso!!!!

buddyboy
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Wtf?

Yeah, I heard that on the news, but I figured I misheard it since they didn't follow up at all...

Don't know how I feel about this. Having that backup swing tackle who can step in is valuable, but it eats into the amount we can offer Aso or Weddle. We need to address our defense!

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I heard that on the news, but I figured I misheard it since they didn't follow up at all...

Don't know how I feel about this. Having that backup swing tackle who can step in is valuable, but it eats into the amount we can offer Aso or Weddle. We need to address our defense!We do need to address D, but passer rating differential determines championships. This is a good signing.

Carr Bombed
07-26-2011, 10:38 PM

Don't know how I feel about this. Having that backup swing tackle who can step in is valuable, but it eats into the amount we can offer Aso or Weddle. We need to address our defense!

early reports is Weddle is going to Jacksonville. :(

badboy
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Tampa Bay announces CB Talib will be back this season per NFL Network.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
early reports is Weddle is going to Jacksonville. :( He's one of the players off the board.

Source please.

Playoffs
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
PriscoCBS Pete Prisco
No deal yet for Weddle anywhere. Those saying he signed in Jax are wrong.

1 hour ago

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:45 PM
The 49ers and Raiders are negotiating with DB Dashon Goldson, who was in San Francisco last season.

LaConfora at nfl.com.

Either the Texans have their man and keeping really damn quiet about it or no one told them the lockout ended.

aussie_texan
07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
reports saying that jacksonville has agreed upon a deal for Paul Posluszny from the bills

and they are trying to land either eric weddle or dawn landry.
WTF y the jaguars (of all teams) being so active i want either weddle or landry if jacksonville can sign them y can't we :brickwall:

michaelm
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
LaConfora at nfl.com.

Either the Texans have their man and keeping really damn quiet about it or no one told them the lockout ended.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the optimist in me is wondering if the Texans haven't agreed to terms with Aso, but they are foliowing their typical MO of keeping it a complete secret until it is 100% official.
IIRC, they've been pretty consistent as a team that makes absolutely no statements regarding transactions until they are official.

/optimism

... back in Texans realityville, I fully expect to hear that we've lost out on the best FAs while attempting to pursue urnealistic signings.

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but the optimist in me is wondering if the Texans haven't agreed to terms with Aso, but they are foliowing their typical MO of keeping it a complete secret until it is 100% official.
IIRC, they've been pretty consistent as a team that makes absolutely no statements regarding transactions until they are official.

/optimism

... back in Texans realityville, I fully expect to hear that we've lost out on the best FAs while attempting to pursue urnealistic signings.

News of that magnitude would've leaked by now imo. I hope it's true, but not counting on it. Texans need to be aggressive, they have no other option if they want to show the fans they are serious about the playoffs.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
News of that magnitude would've leaked by now imo. I hope it's true, but not counting on it. Texans need to be aggressive, they have no other option if they want to show the fans they are serious about the playoffs.

Unfortunately for fans, snake oil comes cheap. Sell lots of it; make lots of profit.

Playoffs
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Aso will be choosing a ring & city ... money will be the same.

Question: Can Smithiak sell Houston to him?

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Aso will be choosing a ring & city ... money will be the same.

Question: Can Smithiak sell Houston to him?

Ill take his ass out for some Tex-Mex if he signs here.

Corrosion
07-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Ill take his ass out for some Tex-Mex if he signs here.

Me and TB will take him for :shots: & (o)(o)'s

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:11 PM

/optimism

... back in Texans realityville, I fully expect to hear that we've lost out on the best FAs while attempting to pursue urnealistic signings.Illegitimi non carborundum, lol.

vupac1
07-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Quinton Mikell signs with the Rams.
I was hoping he would be our backup plan if we couldn't land Weddle.

I guess we'd better be sure we get Weddle.

AnthonyE
07-27-2011, 01:57 AM

Must spread rep for the reference. Beedrill (the pokemon Weedle evolved into) was lame, though.

It's all about that butterfree maaaan!

GNTLEWOLF
07-27-2011, 03:54 AM
As far as Free agency goes...Looks like Texans are holding true to form and not signing any big name players. Building through the draft the right way and on the right track Yadda yadda yadda....

Brandon420tx
07-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Players are only getting "Agreements" right now, not actual signings
there haven't been "agreements" with new teams today anyway besides UDFA's the most action was from re-signings

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 05:24 AM
As far as Free agency goes...Looks like Texans are holding true to form and not signing any big name players. Building through the draft the right way and on the right track Yadda yadda yadda....

It's been ONE day.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 05:50 AM
It's been ONE day.

I agree.

I figured if we were going to get Nnamdi, we would have known by now.

I don't think it's going to happen.

c'est la vie

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree.

c'est la vie

I don't agree with that.

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 06:34 AM
I agree.

c'est la vie

So does that mean no one gets Nnamdi?

The Jets fans don't know, neither the Ravens, Cowboys, Bucs or any other team fans.

It's clear to me that Nnamdi has not agreed to any deal and is weighing his options or that whoever he has agreed with is being very very quiet about it.

EDIT: Schefter just confirmed as much too. He said Nnamdi is taking his time we may not know until Friday. Said The Bucs and Ravens are lurking but the Texans and Jets are the most likely.

I think whoever gets an agreement from him will like to have that done before then though so they can plan. Would hate to have the Texans miss out on FAs because they are focused on getting Nnamdi and comes Friday he signs elsewhere. I'm sure ever other team on Nnamdi's list thinks the same.

Texas T
07-27-2011, 06:53 AM
So does that mean no one gets Nnamdi?

The Jets fans don't know, neither the Ravens, Cowboys, Bucs or any other team fans.

It's clear to me that Nnamdi has not agreed to any deal and is weighing his options or that whoever he has agreed with is being very very quiet about it.

EDIT: Schefter just confirmed as much too. He said Nnamdi is taking his time we may not know until Friday. Said The Bucs and Ravens are lurking but the Texans and Jets are the most likely.

I think whoever gets an agreement from him will like to have that done before then though so they can plan. Would hate to have the Texans miss out on FAs because they are focused on getting Nnamdi and comes Friday he signs elsewhere. I'm sure ever other team on Nnamdi's list thinks the same.

I was just getting ready to post the same thing, just different words.

If we were guaranteed to NOT get him that would mean he signed somewhere else and that would be out. I'm hoping that the Texans are just being quiet as usual and will announce the signing on Friday when he signs on the dotted line.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 08:50 AM
SOmeone tell the Texans FO that "being aggressive in FA" doesnt mean signing your own 2nd stringers and a bunch of UFA's.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
UDFA Mister Alexander (LB, FSU) signed.http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2011-nfl-undrafted-free-agents

False Start
07-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I just have a feeling that the Texans are going to disappoint. I think they are gonna play that same old tired ass line that they tried, but in the end the two sides couldn't reach an agreement. Then, they will sign some third rate CB, and say they have faith in their young players. I would never be so happy to be wrong in my life.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/TKELuke/ohNO.jpg

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 11:01 AM
We talked about this during the lock-out.

It's not just about how much money we're willing to throw at him. It's also about where he wants to play.

There are, and have to be, limits to how much we're willing to pay. That doesn't have anything to do with Bob being cheap.

Getting one of the top safeties has to be a priority as well as getting one of the top CBs.

I want Aso in a Texans uni, but if he's got his heart set on NY, let's move on and get what we can get to improve our secondary.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Hearing less and less about Weddle to the Jags so hopefully that was an erroneus report.

As far as FA goes, if we don't get Nnamdi I don't think all is lost as there are a few other corners available who will be upgrades (and thank god the Steelers re-signed Taylor. I think that makes everybody happy).

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Hearing less and less about Weddle to the Jags so hopefully that was an erroneus report.

As far as FA goes, if we don't get Nnamdi I don't think all is lost as there are a few other corners available who will be upgrades (and thank god the Steelers re-signed Taylor. I think that makes everybody happy).

Weddle is planning on visiting Minnesota, Indy and Cleveland per ESPN rumors. No mention of Jags or Texans visits for him. If he gets past those three cities without an offer, I will be very surprised. (fingers crossed for the Browns)

Grams
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Weddle is planning on visiting Minnesota, Indy and Cleveland per ESPN rumors. No mention of Jags or Texans visits for him. If he gets past those three cities without an offer, I will be very surprised. (fingers crossed for the Browns)

He cannot visit any of those places till Friday.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 11:44 AM
:cricket::cricket::cricket:
Pretty much sums up FA activity involving the Texans in 2011.

c10x
07-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Still hoping for Huff & Aso. If no Aso, then Huff & Joseph.

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm wondering if Wade even wants Weddle and if not, what does that say about Weddle?

michaelm
07-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm wondering if Wade even wants Weddle and if not, what does that say about Weddle?

Just announced: Weddle re-signed with the Charges. Evidently they made him the highest paid safety in league history.

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Just announced: Weddle re-signed with the Charges. Evidently they made him the highest paid safety in league history.
Wow. I wanted him but not that bad!

b0ng
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow. I wanted him but not that bad!

Eric Weddle gets massive deal - $40M over 5 yrs, $13M sign bonus, $19M guar. Record guarantees and 2yr averages for a safety

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 01:07 PM
OK. I give up. I have no clue what we are doing now!

Texans | Matt Leinart agrees to terms
Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:01:10 -0700

The Houston Texans have agreed to terms with free-agent QB Matt Leinart (Texans). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1TKXUMyNG

Section516
07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
So..Leinart becomes first to agree to terms then go elsewhere? He did agree to terms with Seattle..right?

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Watching a Texans FA period with Rick Smith running the show is more frustrating then watching lock out news.

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
OK. I give up. I have no clue what we are doing now!

Texans | Matt Leinart agrees to terms
Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:01:10 -0700

The Houston Texans have agreed to terms with free-agent QB Matt Leinart (Texans). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1TKXUMyNG

I just got the text from SP610, who the hell knows....

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
So..Leinart becomes first to agree to terms then go elsewhere? He did agree to terms with Seattle..right?

That was the report.

So... that calls into question all these "agreeing to terms" things that people are reporting.

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I just got the text from SP610, who the hell knows....

So do you cut Danny-O now?

michaelm
07-27-2011, 01:19 PM

YES.
Question is, will it save $$ against the cap, and if so, how much?

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM

He's due to make $2.75M this season so if he doesn't take a paycut like last year then I think it'd be wise to cut him. Assumption from me is Leinart has shown Kubiak at least a little something in order to get a new contract. Schaub, Leinart, Yates? Probably saves $2.5MM almost.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Lance Moore is staying with the Saints.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
He's due to make $2.75M this season so if he doesn't take a paycut like last year then I think it'd be wise to cut him. Assumption from me is Leinart has shown Kubiak at least a little something in order to get a new contract. Schaub, Leinart, Yates? Probably saves $2.5MM almost.

Leinart?

Isn't he in Seattle? So if we cut Dan O, we only have Yates to backup Schaub.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Leinart?

No. That was apparently misreported. Leinart re-upped with us just a few minutes ago.

Brisco_County
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Per Shefter, Weddle stays in San Diego.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
No. That was apparently misreported. Leinart re-upped with us just a few minutes ago.

Look at me. I actually get some work done and miss out.

Silly me for trying to get some work done today!!!

srrono
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Well the Texans seem to be on the outside looking in. Is this thier plan sign all our free agents and be a dollar short and a day late on any player that would help our defense? This is so frustrating.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 02:34 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#Jets Santonio Holmes will only count $2.45M against 2011 cap. $1M base salary, per source. #nyj

How in the world?

mariowillshine15
07-27-2011, 02:38 PM
How in the world?

Now that's manipulating the salary cap.

Makes sense if they sign Aso or re-sign more of their players (Edwards, Cromartie)

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Now that's manipulating the salary cap.

Makes sense if they sign Aso or re-sign more of their players (Edwards, Cromartie)

I just can't see how the Jets can sign anyone other than who they have. Ever since Rex Ryan got there they went ape sh*t signing Free Agents left and right. I think the Jet's are Enroning it, hahahahahaha.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Leinart?

How much do we have tied up in Dan O this year towards the Cap. Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 02:51 PM
FYI, John Clayton from ESPN just joined the Twitter world in the last hour:

https://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN

badboy
07-27-2011, 02:58 PM
How much do we have tied up in Dan O this year towards the Cap. Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?page four of the Leinert thread.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Holy crap can we confirm we have a deal in place with a CB and S already!!!!! I'm not getting anything done at work, I can't stop reading every site on the internet. I know we probably won't hear anything until Friday, but this is killing me, and my internet usage hours are going through the roof.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
@ClaytonESPNJohn Clayton

Just discussed Chris Mortensen storry on sports center. Mort reports Pittsburgh and Giants might take him back

6 minutes agovia yoono

Freaking Twitter. How does it work?

Allstar
07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
espn_afcsouth Paul Kuharsky
. @MelvinBullitt33 tells @JMV1070 he heard from the #Texans. #Colts

Well it looks like we are looking at safeties at least. Can't blame Bullit for sticking with his guys, and definitely can't blame Weddle for becoming the richest safety ever.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
LanceZierleinLance Zierlein

@

@marcusdoesurmom Something is getting ready to go down for Texans. It has to be.

4 minutes ago

Hhhhhmmm

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Hhhhhmmm

Texans resign Amobi Okoye. Splash!

b0ng
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM

If that were the case, we should just pack up and go home cause he's not even an FA right now.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
LanceZierleinLance Zierlein

Said member of Texans organization, "You aren't buying into this 'we might not have cap room' stuff, are you?" Texans must come w/big offer

43 seconds ago

Lance is on a roll the last few minutes.

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
@LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
There are people in the Texans building who want Rick to sign 2 CBs in FA & not just one. Nate Clements could be one & C.Rogers the other?

They need to make up their mind.

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Cromartie & Sensabaugh topping lists now ...

DocBar
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM

I hope that's resign as in cut and not resign as in re-sign.

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I hope that's resign as in cut and not resign as in re-sign.

Nah it's nothing but just a jab at how things usually go. Because of "Something is about to go down for the Texans." I was guessing it'd just be the Texans reupping one of their own guys again.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Nah it's nothing but just a jab at how things usually go. Because of "Something is about to go down for the Texans." I was guessing it'd just be the Texans reupping one of their own guys again.Whew...I can put the drano back under the sink....

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Nate Clements released.

edit: Schefter questioning this

Allstar
07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Nate Clements released.

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
The 49ers have not informed CB Nate Clements he will be released. Not saying he won't be a cap casualty at some point but nothing yet

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 05:08 PM
A_Cromartie31Antonio Cromartie

@

@CodyRoark HAM Ain't even the word...I will show and prove to everyone who the best DB is...playing with a big a** chip on my shoulders

5 minutes ago

PAY THE MAN RICK!:fans:

Allstar
07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Cromartie is a knucklehead that gets by a lot on athleticism. I can see him becoming the new scapegoat/whipping boy for us fans. I don't want him, but he's better than nothing.

Texas T
07-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Cromartie is a knucklehead that gets by a lot on athleticism. I can see him becoming the new scapegoat/whipping boy for us fans. I don't want him, but he's better than nothing.

The real question is does he fall down??

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Would McNair really sign him?

Antonio "Crime Time" Cromartie

On Tom Brady, "F--- him, f---ing a--hole"

May 2010: Jets front Cromartie $500,000 to clear up paternity issues (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/cash_for_kiddies_CCy0WKcGJc6usqimWaO7cK)

2009: Police are investigating a claim that San Diego Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie hit someone in the head with a champagne bottle at a bar (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4684041)

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Can we put in his contract that he must get a vascetomy?!

Section516
07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Texans were in contact with Melvin Bullet from the Colts
Bullitt said he heard from the Rams, the Cardinals, the Texans and a couple other teams.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post?id=25586

mariowillshine15
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Can we put in his contract that he must get a vascetomy?!

If he comes here and has as many interceptions as conceptions (8?9?) I'll be happy.

ChampionTexan
07-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Well, I'm not gonna say he was particularly high on my wish list, but Dale should be happy:

AlanBurge Alan Burge
Bulman re-signed >> houstontexans.com/news/article-3 via @HoustonTexans

Link from AJ's tweet (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-sign-four-free-agents/0bb6e06b-8678-42aa-ad44-0deaec5b5e66)

dalemurphy
07-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm not gonna say he was particularly high on my wish list, but Dale should be happy:

Link from AJ's tweet (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-sign-four-free-agents/0bb6e06b-8678-42aa-ad44-0deaec5b5e66)

Great signing! As bad as Bulman was as a 4-3 DE, he's perfect for a 3-4. By perfect, I mean as depth. We still need another player or two on the DL, though Aubrayo Franklin and Cullen Jenkins may be priced out of our range, Ty Warren was released and expressed interest in Houston today... Also, Marcus Spears is available. I think we need one more guy that can have an impact in the rotation.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Also, Marcus Spears is available.

Spears signed today, iirc.

EDIT: With the Cowboys.

DX-TEX
07-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Great signing! As bad as Bulman was as a 4-3 DE, he's perfect for a 3-4. By perfect, I mean as depth. We still need another player or two on the DL, though Aubrayo Franklin and Cullen Jenkins may be priced out of our range, Ty Warren was released and expressed interest in Houston today... Also, Marcus Spears is available. I think we need one more guy that can have an impact in the rotation.

Just read that but 2 things concern me:

1) His hip injury last year. They say it is 100% healed but it leads to #2

2) He failed his conditioning test. His physical was fine though.

Signs a vet minimum for a 1 year deal I would try.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 03:10 PM
No terms given (Probably one year), but it appears the Texans just re-signed exclusive rights FA Arian Foster. (Oh yeah, Brisiel and Studdard too).
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
The Texans have re-signed free agents Arian Foster, Mike Brisiel, Rashad Butler, Matt Leinart, Damione Lewis and Kasey Studdard

thunderkyss
07-31-2011, 03:42 PM
No terms given (Probably one year), but it appears the Texans just re-signed exclusive rights FA Arian Foster. (Oh yeah, Brisiel and Studdard too).

Brisiel & Studdard????

Don't make sense to me. We should be able to cut the cord on one of these two by now.

Brisiel actually sees game time on the regular, I'll assume that means he's better than Studdard.........

should have been a no brainer. Dump Studdard continue grooming Shelly

Allstar
07-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Brisiel & Studdard????

Don't make sense to me. We should be able to cut the cord on one of these two by now.

Brisiel actually sees game time on the regular, I'll assume that means he's better than Studdard.........

Just because they're on the team now doesn't mean they'll make the actual roster, Studdard in particular.

ChampionTexan
07-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Brisiel & Studdard????

As somebody pointed out in another thread, as of earlier today, the Texans were still eleven bodies short of the ninety man training camp roster.

MojoMan
07-31-2011, 04:57 PM
From HoustonTexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html):

07/31/2011 Signed undrafted free agents DT Guy Miller, DE Scooter Berry and LB Matt Marcorelle.

Astew10112
07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Scooter Berry was a 4 year starter at WVU, solid DL...work ethic a huge question mark.

TexanBacker93
07-31-2011, 05:14 PM
As somebody pointed out in another thread, as of earlier today, the Texans were still eleven bodies short of the ninety man training camp roster.

I posted something like that. I had us 11 short, but rechecked and found we were only 8 short. That's cut to 3 by my count.

Bring in Sepulveda, Vickers, and ?

beerlover
07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
I posted something like that. I had us 11 short, but rechecked and found we were only 8 short. That's cut to 3 by my count.

Bring in Sepulveda, Vickers, and ?

Warren

Brandon420tx
07-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Supelveda resigned with Pitt

michaelm
08-05-2011, 11:08 AM
This isn't technically Free Agent Activity involving Texans, but some here were interested in bringing him back.

Pats announce signing of veteran DE Mark Anderson. Have been looking at edge players

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
This isn't technically Free Agent Activity involving Texans, but some here were interested in bringing him back.

Yeah, I would have preferred to keep him.