PDA

View Full Version : TJ Yates

Pages : [1] 2 3

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Saw the game last night vs. Tenn. Pretty impressive. He's a fighter. Has alot of Schaubish qualities so I can see why they drafted him.

m5kwatts
07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I see a lot of Tony Romo in him to be honest-improvises when the pocket breaks down and does those awkward shovel passes that scare you but somehow get completed. The UNC o-line was pretty bad though and they struggled to run the ball in the games I watched. He shoulda gone higher from what I've seen and I don't know why the Redskins didn't take a flier on him.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I see a lot of Tony Romo in him to be honest-improvises when the pocket breaks down and does those awkward shovel passes that scare you but somehow get completed. The UNC o-line was pretty bad though and they struggled to run the ball in the games I watched. He shoulda gone higher from what I've seen and I don't know why the Redskins didn't take a flier on him.

I like the tools he has and appearantly they ran alot of what we did so it may not be too long a learning curve. If Schaub can't get us to the playoffs this year or the next, we will need to start looking around again and Yates just might be ready.

TimeKiller
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Right the eff now, who's a better QB......

Yates......

or Orlovsky?

TJ > Dan O

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Yates......

or Orlovsky?

TJ > Dan O

Agreed.

Rey
07-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I like Dan o's arm strength but his decision making is poor.

If he could play within himself and not try to force the ball into coverage he could be a capable qb. He does almost everything else right.

Only problem is decision making is most of the job.

Corrosion
07-20-2011, 03:49 PM
I like Dan o's arm strength but his decision making is poor.

If he could play within himself and not try to force the ball into coverage he could be a capable qb. He does almost everything else right.

Only problem is decision making is most of the job.

Dude has no sense of pocket awareness .... I wonder if he has a sense of where he's at.

beerlover
07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't mind Kubiak with his experience taking a shot every draft on a QB until the pipeline is loaded with talent, cause not only do the Texans need a quality back-up other teams will pay premiums in trades to get one.

TheIronDuke
07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Dude has no sense of pocket awareness .... I wonder if he has a sense of where he's at.

His helmet location awareness could use work too.

Corrosion
07-20-2011, 06:17 PM
His helmet location awareness could use work too.

See what I mean .... dude's a dud. :ahhaha:

badboy
07-20-2011, 09:07 PM
As I think Leinert & Danny O will be gone I'd like to see Houston go with Schaub and Yates. Pick up a UDFA for practice squad & if needed a vet durinvg season if Matt goes out. Give Yatresz all the reps he c an get

Texan_Bill
07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't much, but I know this: If Schaub goes down, we're effed!!! Just sayin'!!

badboy
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't much, but I know this: If Schaub goes down, we're effed!!! Just sayin'!!Exactly so why tie up cap space with Leinert or another so so vet QB?

Corrosion
07-20-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't much, but I know this: If Schaub goes down, we're effed!!! Just sayin'!!

Pretty much , its either shoot the moon or go down in flames .. :specnatz:

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Here's a piece that I stumbled across, which I have never seen posted on this board before. The repeated knock on Yates at the time of the draft was that his arm was suspect. But if most of this is true, we may have finally found that diamond that the Texans seem to always be looking for.

Veteran QB coach on T.J. Yates: 'He's got plenty of arm' (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Veteran-QB-coach-on-TJ-Yates-Hes-got-plenty-of-arm.html)

by Aaron Wilson
April 12, 02011

Highly respected quarterbacks coach Larry Kennan has worked with everyone from Eli Manning to Chad Pennington, Tim Couch, Drew Brees, Byron Leftwich and Alex Smith.

And the veteran former New England Patriots assistant ranks University of North Carolina quarterback T.J. Yates comparably to those NFL quarterbacks in terms of football acumen, leadership and ability.

A four-year starter for the Tar Heels, Yates is visting the Indianapolis Colts today and the Atlanta Falcons later this week and has previously conducted private workouts for the Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Bears and the Philadelphia Eagles.

"He's been extremely well-schooled, he’s like an NFL veteran quarterback," Kennan told National Football Post today in a telephone interview. "He had great coaching at North Carolina. He had to learn coverages and blitzes and protections. He's very wise about those things, way ahead of where a lot of guys are at that time. I've worked with Byron Leftwich and Chad Pennington and Drew Brees and T.J. is about as good as anybody I've seen. He's very aware. He can watch film and see exactly what's going on with coverage. He's very advanced.

"I've told a couple teams that run more complicated offenses like New Orleans that he would fit in very well with them. T.J. can make all the throws. The knock on him is that he doesn't have a strong arm, but he's got plenty of arm. Obviously, I’m high on the guy. What I’ve seen from him is real good stuff. With Eli and Alex Smith and Pennington, he's right up there with them. There's not a hell of a lot of difference in watching him throw and watching Eli throw."

The honorable-mention All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection draws high mark for intangibles, accuracy and productivity.

The four-year starter was graded as a later-round draft pick by most draft analysts, but is starting to garner middle-round consideration following a sharp Pro Day workout in Chapel Hill, N.C.

“I know there’s some teams that are thinking if we can get him in the fourth round it’s a steal," said Kennan, who prepared Yates for the NFL scouting combine, his Pro Day and the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game in San Antonio. "What I think about TJ I think if he goes to a good team he doesn’t have to play immediately and can be behind a good veteran for two or three years, then he can go some place after that and be a verygood starter on a good team. He will play in the league for 10 or 12 years. He'll work at it and he'll do the right things."

Yate completed all but a few of 130 scripted passes at his Pro Day.

"It was a phenomenal workout, I can’t imagine anyone not thinking it was a good workout," Kennan said. "It was rapid-fire. He only missed a couple."

The 6-foot-3, 219-pounder owns 37 school records for the Tar Heels.

Last season, Yates completed 66.8 percent of his throws for 3,418 yards and 19 touchdowns.

As a junior, he passed for 2,136 yards and 14 touchdowns.

For his career, he has passed for 9,143 yards and 57 touchdowns.

There aren't many four-year starters around.

"It’s completely invaluable," Kennan said. "He started for four years in a good conference, on a team that was rebuilding that went from being okay to being pretty good. With the exception of one year when Hakeem Nicks was there, he didn't have a great case of receivers. As a junior, he had a bunch of nobodies. His senior year, his best receiver and running back get suspended. It's hard to look good when you don’t have really good players around you."

The Tar Heels dealt with a lot of adversity last season due to NCAA suspensions and injuries, but Yates was a constant presence over the past four years.

"He lived through some hard times," Kennan said. "That's part of the reason he's not being talked about as a second or third-round pick. He didn't have that full complement of receivers or his stats would be phenomenal. T.J. is a quiet leader, not a shouter or a yeller.

"He's a very quiet leader and guys have great respect for him. He'd be a good guy for Indianapolis because he could learn from Peyton and he's one of the few guys who's smart enough to do what Peyton does and call the plays.".

Corrosion
07-21-2011, 12:48 AM
he's one of the few guys who's smart enough to do what Peyton does and call the plays.".

Thats a hefty statement .... :thisbig:

Wolf6151
07-21-2011, 01:33 AM
As I think Leinert & Danny O will be gone I'd like to see Houston go with Schaub and Yates. Pick up a UDFA for practice squad & if needed a vet durinvg season if Matt goes out. Give Yatresz all the reps he c an get

I agree completely, if Schaub goes down our season is over and there's nothing that Dan-O or Leinart can do about it. In that situation Yates should get all the reps he can and we draft even higher the next year. We also save some money by cutting Dan-O and not re-signing Leinart and can use that money on some better quality FA's. Give Yates all the reps. he can handle in the preseason and make him the backup.

Clamp
07-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Definitely the most praise or hype for any back up we have ever had. I will be hoping to hear some things from Kubiak about his progress throughout the year. Too bad he didnt get a full offseason to show what he had and to learn. I have only heard good things since we got him in the draft and I remember McShay talking about how he was a steal and had several really nice things to say about him. I am very hopeful that he might turn into a future starter for us.

thunderkyss
07-21-2011, 04:28 AM
Here's a piece that I stumbled across, which I have never seen posted on this board before. The repeated knock on Yates at the time of the draft was that his arm was suspect. But if most of this is true, we may have finally found that diamond that the Texans seem to always be looking for.

"He started for four years in a good conference, on a team that was rebuilding that went from being okay to being pretty good. With the exception of one year when Hakeem Nicks was there, he didn't have a great case of receivers. As a junior, he had a bunch of nobodies. His senior year, his best receiver and running back get suspended. It's hard to look good when you dont have really good players around you."

The Tar Heels dealt with a lot of adversity last season due to NCAA suspensions and injuries, but Yates was a constant presence over the past four years.

Man if it isn't one excuse, it's another......

DocBar
07-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Highly respected quarterbacks coach Larry Kennan has worked with everyone from Eli Manning to Chad Pennington, Tim Couch, Drew Brees, Byron Leftwich and Alex Smith.
Only one of those names will draw much attention as a great NFL starting QB.
I don't think that list adds much credibility to the guy's QB scouting acumen.
I agree with the others that if Schaub misses any significant time, we're screwed, so why not give this kid a shot and ditch Whinert and Dan O crap another INT?

Corrosion
07-21-2011, 02:26 PM

:texanbill: ......

or Orlovsky?

:texanbill: > Dan O

Im taking :texanbill: too.

I agree with the others that if Schaub misses any significant time, we're screwed, so why not give this kid a shot and ditch Whinert and Dan O crap I ran out of the back of the endzone?

:heh:

Javi
11-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok... Is the sky falling?

EllisUnit
11-27-2011, 01:30 PM

i wanted yates in over leinart :whip:

brakos82
11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
:yates: > :tebow:

gwallaia
11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
This is unbelievable.

Fili
11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm about to throw up...
:hankpalm:

Wolf
well his era might have started...

Thorn

It done fell. We're trying to hammer it back up now.

Good Lord what's going to happen next?

EllisUnit
this could be our tom brady fairy tell, just saying.

False Start
11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I really hate this feeling. :kitten:

EllisUnit
11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I really hate this feeling. :kitten:

after what i saw from yates i am actually encouraged and he was doing it in the hurry up offense,

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 01:43 PM
after what i saw from yates i am actually encouraged and he was doing it in the hurry up offense,

Kid looked good.

He didn't take many snaps from center... I wonder if they feel it's a limitation. That will affect our offense if it is.

Hookem Horns
11-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I know nothing about this guy however the first thing I noticed is he has that "I am in charge" look on his face that I have always felt Schaub lacks. Dude looks confident and composed. Let's see what happens now.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=33115,filename=Popcorn.gif

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I know nothing about this guy however the first thing I noticed is he has that "I am in charge" look on his face that I have always felt Schaub lacks. Dude looks confident and composed. Let's see what happens now.

Don't question Schaub's leadership....

Not here.

amazing80
11-27-2011, 01:54 PM
He looked so good before the half then came out looking turrible, lets see how he does on this drive

The Cush
11-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I wonder if McNabb can work a release out of Minnesota with their commitment to Ponder. He would be a serviceable option if Leinart has a significant injury and we are staring at a 1) Yates 2) Clemens 3) Daniels QB depth chart.

Kimmy
11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
And ..... TJ Yates is a trending topic on Twitter. He's arrived ;)

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%22TJ%20Yates%22

Hookem Horns
11-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't question Schaub's leadership....

Not here.

Of all places I think I am safest to do that here. ;)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Jacoby having a hell of a game returning.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-27-2011, 02:33 PM
oops wrong thread lol

beerlover
11-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Yates has a better arm than Leinart or Schaub he will however test his OL protection which makes it more difficult to run.

Brandon420tx
11-27-2011, 02:44 PM
I've been out of the loop. Did Orton clear waivers?

Kimmy
11-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I've been out of the loop. Did Orton clear waivers?

No, KC picked him up

Joe Texan
11-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I spotted favre in Virginia with a texans cap on

Carr Bombed
11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Yates has a better arm than Leinart or Schaub he will however test his OL protection which makes it more difficult to run.

What made it difficult to run is that Kubiak didn't let Yates really pass the ball in early downs in the second half. It put us in obvious passing situations and running situations.

However I don't think they ever prepared to have to go to Yates in this game so lets see how they look next week when Yates can practice with the starters and the staff can put a game plan together with plays that Yates is comfortable with and can run. We were put in a tight spot this week.

I do like Yates better than Leinart though...wasn't really impressed with him at all.

brakos82
11-27-2011, 03:15 PM
That Yates kid... he just wins!

thunderkyss
11-27-2011, 03:16 PM
What made it difficult to run is that Kubiak didn't let Yates really pass the ball in early downs in the second half. It put us in obvious passing situations and running situations.

True.......

gwallaia
11-27-2011, 03:23 PM
This is the most depressed I've been after a victory that I can ever remember.

jtexas
11-27-2011, 03:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing. If the Titans lost it would have made it a little better.

Javi
11-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Srsly. It's time to call FAVRE.

Doppelganger
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Why? You want a guy who failed miserably last year? Favre does not know Kubiak's offense and he is too arrogant to learn it. Look how poorly his stint in NYC went when he had to play in an offense that was not the one he was used to.

GP
11-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Must. Spread . Rep.

LMAO. Winner, winner...chicken dinner. :splits:

Mr. Texan
11-27-2011, 04:04 PM

hell yeah, let's throw interceptions all over the place :whip:

Naiirb
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Ditto...i never knew 8-3 can feel so depressing

ATXtexanfan
11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Ditto...i never knew 8-3 can feel so depressing

right, i don't want to walk into reliant next sunday. man i hope kubes has an ace up his sleeve

Wolf6151
11-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Hell to the NO, I don't want that douche bag anywhere near this team. Yates was far from perfect but he showed some promise and potential to get the job done. Kubiak went ultra conservative on his play calling and made Yates look bad by putting him in predictable situations. Give the guy a chance. Sure he's going to stumble and have some growing pains but at least he knows the offense, knows the players, and seems to have the skill to play this game. He lacks experience and a team that believes in him.

Iceman16
11-27-2011, 04:38 PM
I wonder if McNabb can work a release out of Minnesota with their commitment to Ponder. He would be a serviceable option
No, he can't.

dalemurphy
11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Hell to the NO, I don't want that douche bag anywhere near this team. Yates was far from perfect but he showed some promise and potential to get the job done. Kubiak went ultra conservative on his play calling and made Yates look bad by putting him in predictable situations. Give the guy a chance. Sure he's going to stumble and have some growing pains but at least he knows the offense, knows the players, and seems to have the skill to play this game. He lacks experience and a team that believes in him.

Yates looked great. The offense bogged down due to Kubiak's conservatism, two dropped passes (OD, Foster)... and a lack of preparation for Yates, probably. If Leinart had looked like Yates did, I would've been excited going into December. I'm pumped, but Kubiak better be prepared to let Yates sling it.

TimeKiller
11-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Yates throws nice lookin passes, he definitely has the best arm on the team. He looked pretty good on that 2 minute drill. I guess he's the man now, no time like the present. I can't complain about a win but Kubiak could've let him have a throw or two more. The Jags D got the best of them because they knew it was going to be Arian Foster or nothing.

eriadoc
11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Well, I said after the draft that Yates was the pick I was most excited about for the long term. This is not the long term I envisioned. He needs some coaching, and will likely make a lot of mistakes. That said, what I saw today confirmed what I liked about him. He's got a live arm, he moves well in the pocket, and he stays poised under pressure. He also has a good release. I like his prospects a lot. This year? Well, I guess we'll find out, but I wish he'd had more time to learn.

All that said, it's time to get on board!

MEGA SWATT
11-27-2011, 07:25 PM

2011 Favre>2011 Yates
2011 K. Warner> 2011 Yates

ThaJokaa
11-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Yates, the super rushed QB project. I believe he can takes to the playoffs. He looked good till Kubes went ULTRAMASSIVE conservative mode n didnt let him throw.

Dishman
11-27-2011, 08:51 PM
He definitely shows some promise.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36vRZG9ntgc

Forgive the mobile YouTube link, I'm on my phone. The description of the clip seems a little "rah-rah!", but screw it.

GuerillaBlack
11-27-2011, 09:17 PM
2011 Favre>2011 Yates
2011 K. Warner> 2011 Yates

How do you know this?

Houston_Fanatic
11-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Yates, the super rushed QB project. I believe he can takes to the playoffs. He looked good till Kubes went ULTRAMASSIVE conservative mode n didnt let him throw.

I'm ok with Kubes keeping it conservative and sitting on our thin lead. If he had let Yates throw more and he threw a pick that cost us the game then we'd really have something to ***** about.

EllisUnit
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31070/still-hot-texans-may-need-to-turn-to-yates

good post.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm ok with Kubes keeping it conservative and sitting on our thin lead. If he had let Yates throw more and he threw a pick that cost us the game then we'd really have something to ***** about.As PO'd as guys are right now, there was gonna be a certain amount of bitching unless we won by 20 going away. This has been a rough few weeks for Texan fans.

brakos82
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1127/nfl_u_yates_cr_576.jpg

I see he has Schaub's ****ty Picture of the Game routine down. :lol:

DocBar
11-27-2011, 09:50 PM

That looks like he's doing the "field goal double check" instead of the "touchdown double check". You know....Rodger's touchdown move. NVM. Been watching to many football commercials today.

steelbtexan
11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Is Yeates related to Rusty and Andrea Yeates? Bad Game managers

LOL

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Is Yeates related to Rusty and Andrea Yeates? Bad Game managers

LOL

Are you misspelling his name on purpose or just trying to piss me off?

steelbtexan
11-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Are you misspelling his name on purpose or just trying to piss me off?

Yes I am

LOL

Playing on Rusty and Andrea Yeates sir name.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes I am

LOL

Playing on Rusty and Andrea Yeates sir name.Hmmmm....it's working. Who is Rusty and Andrea Yeates?

steelbtexan
11-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Hmmmm....it's working. Who is Rusty and Andrea Yeates?

Sorry man,

Better Yates than Kellan Cleamons,

LOL

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Sorry man,

LOLI should neg rep you for that!! LOL
I still don't know who these Yeates you speak of are.

Shaft75
11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry man,

LOL

Don't blink, cause we might be signing Brady Croiler.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Don't blink, cause we might be signing Brady Croiler.You're such an ass. I guess I deserve it, but I don't have to like it, a-holes. :D

Shaft75
11-27-2011, 10:30 PM
That looks like he's doing the "field goal double check" instead of the "touchdown double check". You know....Rodger's touchdown move. NVM. Been watching to many football commercials today.

"who do you think I am? Some summoner, that can just summon video on my phone?"

I lol everytime to that commercial. My wife always plans dinner when there is an important sporting event. Our wedding wass the day of the big UT-OSU game in 2006.

RagingBull
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I should neg rep you for that!! LOL
I still don't know who these Yeates you speak of are.

Go ahead and neg rep him...she is the lady that drowned all of her kids a few years ago with the crazy husband. Google it.

dalemurphy
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM

Those are spirit fingers! Handing off with some flare. Man, I like this guy.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
"who do you think I am? Some summoner, that can just summon video on my phone?"

I lol everytime to that commercial. My wife always plans dinner when there is an important sporting event. Our wedding wass the day of the big UT-OSU game in 2006.Ya know, there are reasons I'm on my 3rd not-so-friendly-fat wife. Mrs. 3rd understands my Texans addiction. That's a good thing for both of us. I have a house full of nerf balls and usually the wife and baby go elsewhere when the Texans play. It makes for a happy marriage.

Dread-Head
11-27-2011, 10:39 PM
The only GOOD thing I can say about this kid is that he DIDN'T throw any interceptions. WHAT THE VUGG WAS HE DOING OUT THERE?!

2BCF
11-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Yates was impressive, hopefully kubes will loosen the leash once we have another QB on the roster.
We seem to be going through them like kleenexes.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
The only GOOD thing I can say about this kid is that he DIDN'T throw any interceptions. WHAT THE VUGG WAS HE DOING OUT THERE?!He was playing quarteback. What did you think he was doing? yates looked pretty OK considering the circumstances and could do OK the rest of the year.

Dread-Head
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Yates was impressive, hopefully kubes will loosen the leash once we have another QB on the roster.
We seem to be going through them like kleenexes.

:headhurts: "Impressive"? He only got one first down in all the snaps he took.

DocBar
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM
:headhurts: "Impressive"? He only got one first down in all the snaps he took.He also handed off eleventythreehundred times. He looked OK when he took over in the 2nd quarter, before Kubiak turtled on us.

Shaft75
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Couple things...

- I'm nervous about the qb situation, however TJ looked ready for the opportunity and showed some pretty good confidence out there.

- the pass to Andre was DOWNFIELD and a pretty ballsy throw to make and it was right where it needed to be.

- he has pretty good zip on the ball, which should be great off the play action. Which we had another burner WR for him to set up the deep ball. And his ball looks great in the air, tight spin, etc.

- he's pretty mobile too. Moreso than the Matt's. He will have some chances to take off too with our offense.

- Kubes played the lead in the second half, so you can't judge his gamerness right now. I really want to see what happens when the playbook is opened up for more deep stuff.

- I think he needs to live at the stadium and get his timing down with the big boys on the first team. Let's see if we can Get the qb and wr on the right track.

Finally, I want to ask this... Is our OL still one of the best in the league since our qb1 and qb2 were knocked out of the game. Seems to me they should step it up in pass pro. Winston was playing pattycake when Leinart got rolled. Watch the highlight, it looked pretty funny.

Would love to hear what some of you guys thought of what I saw, or if that's how you saw it.

eriadoc
11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Couple things...

- I'm nervous about the qb situation, however TJ looked ready for the opportunity and showed some pretty good confidence out there.

- the pass to Andre was DOWNFIELD and a pretty ballsy throw to make and it was right where it needed to be.

- he has pretty good zip on the ball, which should be great off the play action. Which we had another burner WR for him to set up the deep ball. And his ball looks great in the air, tight spin, etc.

- he's pretty mobile too. Moreso than the Matt's. He will have some chances to take off too with our offense.

- Kubes played the lead in the second half, so you can't judge his gamerness right now. I really want to see what happens when the playbook is opened up for more deep stuff.

- I think he needs to live at the stadium and get his timing down with the big boys on the first team. Let's see if we can Get the qb and wr on the right track.

Finally, I want to ask this... Is our OL still one of the best in the league since our qb1 and qb2 were knocked out of the game. Seems to me they should step it up in pass pro. Winston was playing pattycake when Leinart got rolled. Watch the highlight, it looked pretty funny.

Would love to hear what some of you guys thought of what I saw, or if that's how you saw it.

The OL got manhandled today. They just flat got their asses kicked.

Agreed on Yates. The kid showed a little fire in the few plays he got in before Kubiak turtled.

TexCanada
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
The OL got manhandled today. They just flat got their asses kicked.

Agreed on Yates. The kid showed a little fire in the few plays he got in before Kubiak turtled.

I also thought that Yates seemed to have a quick release and a decent arm. There wasn't much of a sample size, but thats how it looked to me.

2BCF
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1727519

This post from CND deserves a bump to the top.

eriadoc
11-28-2011, 02:07 AM
I also thought that Yates seemed to have a quick release and a decent arm. There wasn't much of a sample size, but thats how it looked to me.

I said after the draft that Yates was the pick I was most excited about besides Watt. He may turn out to be nothing, for he is a 5th round pick, after all. But he has a live arm, a quick release, better mobility than most realize, and he has courage under fire. I like what I've seen from him at UNC and in preseason this year. He's a rookie and he's going to make rookie mistakes. I was sure hoping to see him after a year or two of development become the backup to Schaub, so this is way earlier than I'd hoped for, and I doubt he's ready. Nonetheless, there have been QBs that have been drafted late or signed from some backwoods Arena team and come in to play good football. Kubiak is a good QB coach, so let's see him earn his stripes and put the kid into a position to succeed.

Yates has the tools, but not the experience. So now he'll get the experience on the fast track. It sucks, but that's life in the NFL. I think he can do some good things, and I think he could become a starter in the NFL at some point in his career.

Hookem Horns
11-28-2011, 02:08 AM
I sure hope this guy has no clue what he is talking about ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZzoJLQw47s&feature=related

GP
11-28-2011, 03:21 AM
I sure hope this guy has no clue what he is talking about ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZzoJLQw47s&feature=related

His name is Hub Arkush.

I'm fairly confident he's not a guy we need to rely upon.

"Dude, we're screwed. Did you hear what Hub Arkush had to say about (insert any player's name here)? Hub knows his ****. We're doomed."

PHAROAH
11-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Look the kid played ok i'm not going head over heels with him, the plays were nothing spectacular all were short to medium routes that he could handle with a strong running game & very good defensive play. I give him credit he didn't turn over the ball but let's slow it down he played against the Jaguars defense and there record speaks a lot of what type of team that we beat yesterday. We need to go and sign another Veteran QB if Leinart is going to be out for the rest of the season and we need to Draft the QB of the Future in this years draft to secure our franchise because I don't believe that TJ Yates is our guy.

Rey
11-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Just like Matt 1&2 I think Yates will do better in this offense than he would in other situations. But also like Matt 1&2 i think there will be a drop off in what we can do and we lose a bit of stability.

I also believe that it's possible that Yates makes some good plays to help us win games.

Or maybe not. Really not confident either way, but if I had to bet my house I'd have to be prudent and go against him.

TimeKiller
11-28-2011, 08:00 AM
The only way to hit the moon is to shoot for it. Ready? Aim....>FIRE!!!!

The OL looked terrible and got owned because they went beyond vanilla to kill the clock. It wouldn't take a beginner level Madden player to call that many run blitzes. When given the chance to sling it, young man made some good plays against a legit D. Idk how anybody can argue that or against dude's ability. All he showed yesterday is that he can make plays on this level. But don't let that stop us from criticisms.

If I'm Kubiak, I prepare this next game like I'm going in with John Elway. BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION. This isn't the time to hole up and hope for teams to forget to play defense.

cuppacoffee
11-28-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm ok with Kubes keeping it conservative and sitting on our thin lead. If he had let Yates throw more and he threw a pick that cost us the game then we'd really have something to ***** about.

Now is not the time to display any common sense.

We are either doomed or on the cusp of finding the next Brady.

Choose a side.

“Right tackle Eric Winston said the Texans were wary of anything against the Jaguars that could get Yates hurt because they didn’t want to test Daniels’ quarterbacking skills. It’s a mistake, Winston emphasized, to put too much in to what the rookie did, or didn’t do.

“I think next week you’ll see a much different T.J. because he can make some huge throws,” Winston said. “He’s much more athletic than Schaub or Leinart. That will work well with some of what we do. He can get out of the pocket, he can make some throws. I am not worried at all. I think that he'll meld well with what we’re doing in the play-action game.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31070/still-hot-texans-may-need-to-turn-to-yates

:coffee:

Imatexanfan
11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Well u know any team that plays us are gonna bltz us like crazy, that could work for our advantage or hurt us big time with a rookie back there...I say sign Jeff Garcia :tiphat:

NitroGSXR
11-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Wait until after Saturday when the Cougars destroy them 50-0 only to get shunned from the title game.

NitroGSXR
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Yates - OUT FOR SEASON (detached tongue)

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Well u know any team that plays us are gonna bltz us like crazy, that could work for our advantage or hurt us big time with a rookie back there...I say sign Jeff Garcia :tiphat:

No doubt about it.

Hopefully, the difference between our team & Jacksonville's is that our pass protection can do their job & give him at least a half a second to get the ball out.

Yates is going to get hit, no way around that. He needs to be able to keep looking down field.

GP made an excellent post last night. There are a lot of things that Kubiak can do for us to be successful against the blitz. If the LBs leave the middle of the field, we should have slants to OD, Dre, Walter, & Dressen all day long. The Jags & Vikings ain't got nothing like that.

Atlanta scares me. But they aren't the Packers or the Saints. We've got a shot.

Rey
11-28-2011, 09:49 AM
If the LBs leave the middle of the field, we should have slants to OD, Dre, Walter, & Dressen all day long. The Jags & Vikings ain't got nothing like that.

If they blitz all of their LB's...sure...

If they just blitz one or two, probably not...He'd have to fit it into some tight spaces.

On the slant to Dre yesterday, if the ball wasn't thrown so poorly it may have been picked off...

Seor Stan
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Gotta love that TY.

Shaft75
11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that Yates is number 13? :thinking:

JWarren14
11-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Just re-watched all of Yates snaps from yesterday:
14 Runs Plays = 33 Yards
16 Pass Plays = 73 Yards
1. Complete to OD - 5 Yards
2. Complete to JJ -10 Yards
3. Incomplete - Dropped snap, threw it away, smart play to not force it
4. Complete to OD - 24 Yards stepped up into the blitz for biggest completion
5. Incomplete - Pocket broke down, nowhere to go, threw it away (grounding)
6. Spike for FG Attempt
7. Incomplete - A little late, but hit OD in the facemask
8. Incomplete - Low pass to AJ on slant
9. Incomplete - Pressured, threw it away
10. Complete - 3 Yards Pressured in end zone, complete to OD
11. Complete - 14 Yards Clean pocket complete to AJ in between 4 defenders
12. Complete - 8 Yards to AJ
13. Play broke down, ran for 1st down but came up a yard or so short.
14. Incomplete - A little late and behind OD
15. Complete - 1 Yard Check down to Foster
16. Complete - 5 Yard Check down to Foster

If you take out the spike to stop the clock, that's 15 pass to 14 run plays that I counted. It seems if he can get the timing of the routes down a little more and develop some chemistry with the receivers Yates could be serviceable. He made good decisions and didn't try to force anything. There were quite a few 3rd and longs that we just ran a draw to try and pick up some yardage. Only about 30 snaps of live action, hopefully taking all the reps this week will help with timing, etc. Run game needs to produce more consistently. Will be interesting to watch, at least we control our own destiny.

HJam72
11-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I doubt the run game improves much against Atlanta, but the passing might.

Ranger Tom
11-28-2011, 11:22 AM
JWarren14: I was on a plane during most of Mr. Yates' plays; how did he look while he was running?

TEXANRED
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I like Yates. Strong arm, has some mobility, seemed calm. I watched his interview last night on channel 13 and he just doesnt seem like this game is to big for him.

I am excited to see what he can do.

Texan_Bill
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Nice to see the players have TJ's back:

DerrickWard32 Derrick Ward
You guys want to know something? @TJ_Yates is gonna lead us to great things. His confidence is beyond his rookie years and we got his back!

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Just re-watched all of Yates snaps from yesterday:
14 Runs Plays = 33 Yards
16 Pass Plays = 73 Yards
1. Complete to OD - 5 Yards
2. Complete to JJ -10 Yards
3. Incomplete - Dropped snap, threw it away, smart play to not force it
4. Complete to OD - 24 Yards stepped up into the blitz for biggest completion
5. Incomplete - Pocket broke down, nowhere to go, threw it away (grounding)
6. Spike for FG Attempt
7. Incomplete - A little late, but hit OD in the facemask
8. Incomplete - Low pass to AJ on slant
9. Incomplete - Pressured, threw it away
10. Complete - 3 Yards Pressured in end zone, complete to OD
11. Complete - 14 Yards Clean pocket complete to AJ in between 4 defenders
12. Complete - 8 Yards to AJ
13. Play broke down, ran for 1st down but came up a yard or so short.
14. Incomplete - A little late and behind OD
15. Complete - 1 Yard Check down to Foster
16. Complete - 5 Yard Check down to Foster

The highlighted plays might not have ammounted to much but but each was an opportunity to make a mistake. He made none.

I'd like to think the series prior to halftime gives us an indication of what we can expect from Yates - He came in throwing and got them in scoring range in the two minute drill. The offense looked much like what we have come to expect with Schaub under center during that series.
Despite the grounding call , I think he played well given the circumstances.

JWarren14
11-28-2011, 11:49 AM
JWarren14: I was on a plane during most of Mr. Yates' plays; how did he look while he was running?

He looked OK, he seems a little more mobile than Schaub. Not sure he is going to bust off any long runs, but definitely not a rooted tree back there. He slid short of the first down, but there were three defenders around him one of which could have been flagged for leading with his helmet while Yates slid. I think it was just a solid decision.

Double Barrel
11-28-2011, 12:03 PM
According to AJ, Yates was his workout partner for the past month and a half. And Andre has confidence in this rookie, so I'm just going to roll with the flow and hope the TEAM can step up and rally behind this kid.

Honoring Earl 34
11-28-2011, 12:15 PM
According to AJ, Yates was his workout partner for the past month and a half. And Andre has confidence in this rookie, so I'm just going to roll with the flow and hope the TEAM can step up and rally behind this kid.

Here's a bit of footage vs LSU where he threw for over 400 yards .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRVqv3-zUs4

beerlover
11-28-2011, 12:17 PM

well thank god the Texans don't have to play LSU :tiphat:

Honoring Earl 34
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
well thank god the Texans don't have to play LSU :tiphat:

Playing good against LSU is about as close to an NFL audition as you'll get .

EVOLVIST
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM

And for what it's worth, Schaub said this morning that TJ Yates came into this offense and learned it quicker than anyone Schaub has every seen, including himself, despite Schaub coming from a similar system at Virginia.

eriadoc
11-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Check out the play at the 2:00 mark and the 3:00 mark.

LOL, and the NFL ticker at the 4:30 mark.

JWarren14
11-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Check out the play at the 2:00 mark and the 3:00 mark.

LOL, and the NFL ticker at the 4:30 mark.

Nice looking bootleg action! The ESPN ticker is a crazy coincidence!

darnbni99a
11-28-2011, 01:48 PM

dam...helluva game

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
The offense looked much like what we have come to expect with Schaub under center during that series.

Were any of his passing plays from under center?

ObsiWan
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Were any of his passing plays from under center?

He threw several quick slants (2-3 step drops) and a TE seam pass after taking the snap from under center.

...which caused me to wonder why we didn't do that a bit yesterday.

False Start
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I would love to see TJ succeed. One, it would be great for the Texans, and two its my Mother's maiden name, so I would LOVE to have his jersey. :cool:

beerlover
11-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I would love to see TJ succeed. One, it would be great for the Texans, and two its my Mother's maiden name, so I would LOVE to have his jersey. :cool:

buy it anyway, could be a good luck charm :texflag:

Grams
11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I think TJ will surprise a lot of you guys.

I thought he did surprisingly well at the end of the second quarter - seemed to light up the offense. But then in the 3rd Kubiack went all fetal on the offense.

Just like Leinart, you need to give him a chance after a week's worth of practice with the first string guys.

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
buy it anyway, could be a good luck charm :texflag:

He's #13

:kitten:

GP
11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Why do I get this feeling that Brett Favre is not entirely out of the picture.

Kubiak said he won't rule anybody out and he won't confirm anyone.

To me, Sage was Option A and it seems Miami won't release Sage.

Option B probably just got put on the table.

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Why do I get this feeling that Brett Favre is not entirely out of the picture.

Kubiak said he won't rule anybody out and he won't confirm anyone.

To me, Sage was Option A and it seems Miami won't release Sage.

Option B probably just got put on the table.

I read a quote from Rick Smith today , cant recall where or I'd link it but ....

I dont want to bring the circus to town

ziggy29
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I would tend to agree with the rumblings I've heard at this point -- Yates is the guy for now and will be unless he proves he can't get it done, and that a veteran presence as a QB would be more for "insurance" than for stepping in regardless. I mean, if it took a veteran a couple weeks to run this offense but TJ's playing well, would we want to bench him just because the veteran finally knows the offense well enough to run it in a real NFL game? I don't think I would.

TEXANRED
11-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I would tend to agree with the rumblings I've heard at this point -- Yates is the guy for now and will be unless he proves he can't get it done, and that a veteran presence as a QB would be more for "insurance" than for stepping in regardless. I mean, if it took a veteran a couple weeks to run this offense but TJ's playing well, would we want to bench him just because the veteran finally knows the offense well enough to run it in a real NFL game? I don't think I would.

I was impressed by how he came into the game cold and took us down the field. The Jags defense is a hell of a defense and 3rd overall and he sliced them up like he was Tom Brady.

Does anyone else remember the throw to AJ in the middle of 4 Jags defenders?

This dudes got an arm.

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 06:32 PM
I was impressed by how he came into the game cold and took us down the field. The Jags defense is a hell of a defense and 3rd overall and he sliced them up like he was Tom Brady.

Does anyone else remember the throw to AJ in the middle of 4 Jags defenders?

This dudes got an arm.

That was a good throw into a very tight window.

I cant complain about Yates performance with limited reps this week due to getting Lienart up to speed and coming in cold off the bench with the game still in doubt. He didnt generate a ton of offense but he didnt make any mistakes that cost the team field position or points. I think thats about all you can ask for under those circumstances.

I read a quote earlier today from Eric Winston saying that the team played it safe offensively in the second half to ensure than Yates didnt get injured too.

OD was the backup to Yates at QB and he took snaps from under center after halftime just to be ready.

False Start
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM

I cant complain about Yates performance with limited reps this week due to getting Lienart up to speed and coming in cold off the bench with the game still in doubt. He didnt generate a ton of offense but he didnt make any mistakes that cost the team field position or points. I think thats about all you can ask for under those circumstances.

I read a quote earlier today from Eric Winston saying that the team played it safe offensively in the second half to ensure than Yates didnt get injured too.

OD was the backup to Yates at QB and he took snaps from under center after halftime just to be ready.

Only the Texans... :heh: :kubepalm:

Fox
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
He looks like he's got a stronger arm than Leinart/Schaub, and we keep hearing he's the most athletic of the 3. Downside is obviously he's a rook, he can't know the offense half as well as Schaub did, and that's going to really limit our playbook. He's also going to be prone to falling into false looks from opposing D's, and forcing bad throws under pressure.

Our success or failure with Yates is going to be just as much on Kubiak as it will be on Yates. He needs to figure out what Yates does well and find a way to incorporate it into what we already do successfully.

If I were Kubiak, I'd turn him loose in Atlanta. It's not a game we're likely to win, may as well just let Yates show you what he can and can't do, better to learn these things early.

TexansBull
11-28-2011, 06:48 PM
And for what it's worth, Schaub said this morning that TJ Yates came into this offense and learned it quicker than anyone Schaub has every seen, including himself, despite Schaub coming from a similar system at Virginia.

Maybe someone can expand on this for me - but Yates said they ran a similar type offense at NC and would study some of the Texans games because of it. I want to say I heard it on "inside the game" when he was getting by Allen. Did anyone else here this or has this been commented on?

TdotTexas2Step
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
For starters, I thought Yates played extremely well considering the circumstances. It was really surprising to him throwing during his initial drive, and be pretty accurate, as well as make smart decisions.

BUT

I think it would also be fair to point out that both of Jacksonville's starting corners were out. It's funny because I thought we should have passed a tad more than run yesterday - even with Leinart - because that Jags run d is legit. Everytime we made a move to pass the ball - and I don't mean the check downs to Foster - we were effective.

Also, the knock on Yates was that he had a weak arm coming out of college. His accuracy always seemed to struggle on deep routes, and he would have trouble putting the proper velocity on routes like deep outs and comebacks. I have faith in him though because his strengths lie in the ability to make the proper reads on quick throws. He was known for fitting it in tight windows on short and intermediate routes, which is perfect considering how our offense goes about things.

Texan_Bill
11-28-2011, 06:54 PM

No doubt bro, I think it will be interesting to see Yates this Sunday with a full week taking all the snaps! He had a chance to experience "game speed" against a pretty darn good defense and now will get the reps in practice.

I think he'll be fine...

I posted something that Derrick Ward tweeted earlier today about how the players will have TJ's back.

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
No doubt bro, I think it will be interesting to see Yates this Sunday with a full week taking all the snaps! He had a chance to experience "game speed" against a pretty darn good defense and now will get the reps in practice.

I think he'll be fine...

I posted something that Derrick Ward tweeted earlier today about how the players will have TJ's back.

I saw that post earlier .... Also noted was during AJ's rehab Yates was working with him extensively. That cant hurt ....

Lots of people were complaining about a wasted draft pick on Yates right after the draft ..... Doesnt look like such a wasted pick now that QB1 & QB2 are sitting in the hot tub together .... Just hope Yates can make them eat a big helping of crow.

EVOLVIST
11-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe someone can expand on this for me - but Yates said they ran a similar type offense at NC and would study some of the Texans games because of it. I want to say I heard it on "inside the game" when he was getting by Allen. Did anyone else here this or has this been commented on?

Listen to this: A podcast with Butch Davis, Yates' coach at UNC, after Yates was drafted by the Texans, before the lockout was lifted. This gives about as much insight as you'd want, coupled with things Schaub and Kubes have said.

http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1354

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 07:58 PM

The Jags are ranked 19 in sacks (if we can use that as a measure for pass rush) with 23 on the season.

The Falcons are 26th with 20 sacks on the year.

Cincinnati is 12th with 28

Carolina is 23rd with 21

Indianapolis is 29th, with 18

Tennessee is also 23rd with 21

So the Jags have a "better" pass rush than 4 of the 5 teams remaining on our schedule.

By-the-bye, The Texans are 2nd in sacks with 35........

Have we ever had 35 sacks in a season?

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
By-the-bye, The Texans are 2nd in sacks with 35........

Have we ever had 35 sacks in a season?

Just checked, in 2002, the Texans finished the season with 35 sacks

In 2005 we finished with 37 sacks

2010 we finished with 30 sacks.

We're going to set a franchise sack record.

eriadoc
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Also, the knock on Yates was that he had a weak arm coming out of college.

Watch the LSU-NC highlight video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRVqv3-zUs4) posted on page 6 of this thread. Particularly, watch the plays at the 2:00 mark and the 3:00 mark, because they're essentially plays that the Texans live and die with. And then tell me when you've seen Schaub lay one out there that perfectly in stride that far out.

Yates' arm is fine. The arm strength issues in college revolved around throwing off balance and off his back foot, because the protection was horrid for most of his college career.

Side note: Anyone with any question about what type of offense Yates ran at NC just needs to YouTube it, starting with the one referenced above. The plays are there, and you'll see a lot of similarities.

CloakNNNdagger
11-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Watch the LSU-NC highlight video posted on page 6 of this thread. Particularly, watch the plays at the 2:00 mark and the 3:00 mark, because they're essentially plays that the Texans live and die with. And then tell me when you've seen Schaub lay one out there that perfectly in stride that far out.

Yates' arm is fine. The arm strength issues in college revolved around throwing off balance and off his back foot, because the protection was horrid for most of his college career.

A vote for Yates getting a fair chance in lieu of the vets that will be vulturing.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

mexican_texan
11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I was impressed by how he came into the game cold and took us down the field.

As was I. He came in and played with balls, unlike Leinart who seemed to be playing scared. I like his swagger. Yates may be the first good rookie QB we've ever had, aside from the great Quinton Porter.

thunderkyss
11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Side note: Anyone with any question about what type of offense Yates ran at NC just needs to YouTube it, starting with the one referenced above. The plays are there, and you'll see a lot of similarities.

Yep, I've seen him hand off the ball like that before.

Yep, saw him fumble a snap like that before.

Damn... I hope I don't ever see that one..

Yep, seen defense save his ass like that.....

:cow:

J/k, that was a nice video. His arm looks fine to me, even when throwing off his back foot, the ball was smoking, which usually says strong arm to me. I know you teach them not to do it, but every body does it sometime, can't always have a nice clean pocket.

Texn4life
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Yates to Nicks= Yates to Johnson?

Sorry, I couldn't help but think that watching this Hakeem Nicks video. Yates looked good here mainly because they're all completions, but I'm hoping he'll find AJ more than I think Leinart probably was going to. I really do hope we try to take a chance down the field early on Sunday. Check out the video.

http://youtu.be/u_aMQ2R7dYQ

76Texan
11-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I had watched more than a dozen of Yates' games at UNC.
They run a lot of the same thing the Texans have been doing.

That was the reason I said I understand why we drafted him, the way Wade drafted many of his defensive guys, the way the Texans drafted many of their O-linemen.

Here's straight from the horse' mouth:

During a conference call with the media, Yates talked about his familiarity with the Texans offense.

When we were going through this past offseason in Carolina, we watched a ton of Texans film from a few years ago because we were running a lot of the same offensive schemes and stuff," said Yates. "Our offenses are extremely similar. Its fun to watch that stuff on film and see yourself as well as what Matt Schaub does on the field. I feel like Im pretty prepared going into this offense.

When asked to expand on the similarities, Yates said: Its kind of hard to put it in generic terms, but just the route patterns and the passing schemes and everything. Its very similar. We took a lot of what the Texans did last year and a couple years ago and implemented (it) into our offense and kind of made it our own way. We based a lot (of our offense on) the Texans. (houstontexans.com)

There's also familiarity from the scouting combine.

"At the combine I talked to (Texans quarterbacks coach) Knapp and he was the guy that worked me out on the field. It was good. I had a lot of great conversations with him and it was just a perfect fit.

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak spoke about Yates in his post-draft media session.

"This kid had a nice four-year career and he played his best as a senior, said Kubiak. "He also overcame adversity at North Carolina. I just like everything he stands for. He is basically running our offense there at North Carolina. He walks in and hes going to know what were doing. He reminds me of Matt (Schaub) a great deal. Hes got a great play clock in his head. I just think were very fortunate. Rick (Smith) and I were sitting there talking in round five and couldnt believe he was still on the board. This kid has a chance to be a one in this league if he keeps moving forward. Its a great pick for us.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/familiarity-with-texans-offense-led-to-yates-selection?fb_comment=32644366

Texn4life
11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't necessarily worry about Yates familiarity in the offense. I think he'll handle that well. The thing I worry about with Yates is his inconsistency with accuracy at times when I watched him at UNC. Going back now and re-watching some of those games I see them as correctable issues. Is Kubiak going to be able to correct them soon enough? I'm not sure.

He seemed to struggle with his progressions at UNC. Not necessarily recognizing them, but mainly transitioning and his footwork would sometimes look funky and lead to some bad throws especially under pressure. When he was just asked to get to the top of his drop and deliver he looks VERY good. This is a big reason I think we should either run the ball effectively on 1st down or throw on 1st down even more than we did with Schaub. Putting this kid in 3rd and long situations will not be good at all (Just like any young QB). I heard a lot of talk about his accuracy and inconsistency and I had the same critiques, but now I see it was mainly a result of his footwork. Almost kind of similar to the issues Cam Newton had trying to go through his progressions at Auburn. Hopefully Kubiak has been effective in getting him out of some of those bad habits.

Corrosion
11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't necessarily worry about Yates familiarity in the offense. I think he'll handle that well. The thing I worry about with Yates is his inconsistency with accuracy at times when I watched him at UNC. Going back now and re-watching some of those games I see them as correctable issues. Is Kubiak going to be able to correct them soon enough? I'm not sure.

He seemed to struggle with his progressions at UNC. Not necessarily recognizing them, but mainly transitioning and his footwork would sometimes look funky and lead to some bad throws especially under pressure. When he was just asked to get to the top of his drop and deliver he looks VERY good. This is a big reason I think we should either run the ball effectively on 1st down or throw on 1st down even more than we did with Schaub. Putting this kid in 3rd and long situations will not be good at all (Just like any young QB). I heard a lot of talk about his accuracy and inconsistency and I had the same critiques, but now I see it was mainly a result of his footwork. Almost kind of similar to the issues Cam Newton had trying to go through his progressions at Auburn. Hopefully Kubiak has been effective in getting him out of some of those bad habits.

A lot of his problems were a lack of protection and a pocket that consistently broke down too quickly .... Its easy to have good footwork when you have no heat on but put a LB or DE in a guys face and that all changes.

He made a lot of plays with his feet at NC ....

As for the game plan , I dont want to see them run on first down early in the game because I think teams will lean twards defending the run thinking that the will play conservative.
Go out there and make them respect the deep ball from the get go , even if its an incompletion they have it in their minds that Yates will let it fly from that point on.

Texn4life
11-28-2011, 10:36 PM
A lot of his problems were a lack of protection and a pocket that consistently broke down too quickly .... Its easy to have good footwork when you have no heat on but put a LB or DE in a guys face and that all changes.

He made a lot of plays with his feet at NC ....

As for the game plan , I dont want to see them run on first down early in the game because I think teams will lean twards defending the run thinking that the will play conservative.
Go out there and make them respect the deep ball from the get go , even if its an incompletion they have it in their minds that Yates will let it fly from that point on.

I saw more than a few plays when his protection was fairly solid and at times seemed to just rush the throw. Because his footwork wasn't sound the ball would be thrown at receivers feet. He possesses the qualities you want in a good QB and like I said I think those things are correctable. We'll have to start throwing the ball down the field at some point, just to keep the safeties out of the box. Kubiak is no fool and I trust him so I will agree that fans will be surprised to see Yates throw it often in the 1st QTR and then let Foster and Tate go to work.

Texn4life
11-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I will say this about Yates...... His pocket awareness is a million times better than Blaine Gabbert. I told everyone who would listen to me that I didn't think Gabbert would be a good NFL QB because of that very issue. That ran that "punt" shotgun formation at Missouri and as soon as Gabbert "thought" he saw pressure he would run 10 yards backwards and get flushed to the right. He basically took his team out of the play, and I told people that it something that would hurt him.

He doesn't do that now, but his lack of pocket awareness is coming back to bite him now. The kid just doesn't have it at this point. When I watch Yates old games that's not an issue I see with him. And to be honest its rare for a young QB to have pocket awareness as good as Yates does. Clean up his footwork a tad and I think we actually may have something here.

EVOLVIST
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I saw more than a few plays when his protection was fairly solid and at times seemed to just rush the throw. Because his footwork wasn't sound the ball would be thrown at receivers feet. He possesses the qualities you want in a good QB and like I said I think those things are correctable. We'll have to start throwing the ball down the field at some point, just to keep the safeties out of the box. Kubiak is no fool and I trust him so I will agree that fans will be surprised to see Yates throw it often in the 1st QTR and then let Foster and Tate go to work.

Right. But certainly you're not talking about Yates' footwork in yesterday's game? His footwork yesterday was miles above his footwork at UNC and certainly better than what we saw of Yates in the pre-season...which leads me to believe that working with coach Knapp has been paying off for him.

Collapsing pocket? No problem yesterday, though some of his throws were tentative resulting in incompletions.

Texn4life
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Right. But certainly you're not talking about Yates' footwork in yesterday's game? His footwork yesterday was miles above his footwork at UNC and certainly better than what we saw of Yates in the pre-season...which leads me to believe that working with coach Knapp has been paying off for him.

Collapsing pocket? No problem yesterday, though some of his throws were tentative resulting in incompletions.

Absolutely not..... His footwork yesterday was terrific. His incompletions were either from good plays from the defense and yeah you could tell he was trying to hard to "not" make a mistake on some throws. I expect that to change with a full week of gameplanning. To be honest I haven't gone back to watch him in the pre-season to see how his footwork was. I happened to have a couple of UNC games recorded for personal reasons when he played and watched them. That's what I'm basing it off of.

His footwork wasn't terrible in the games that I watch. Pretty much what he did at times is what a lot of QB's do. His brain got ahead of his body, and he seemed to rush throws before his feet were set. It happens to even the best QB's in the game at times. So I'm not overly concerned after going back and re-watching him. If he gets in over his head and flustered then it can become an issue again, but if Kubiak has him prepared then hopefully we won't see this becoming a re-accuring issue for him. He'll get a lot of throws out of the pocket which will be a big plus.

Mari-OWNED!
11-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Warren Moon seems to be on the Yates bandwagon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5S_4PzFisg

76Texan
11-28-2011, 11:42 PM

If 67% completion rate and 8.1 yard per ATTEMPT is not accurate then it must be really amazing when Yates finally become more accurate with better footwork.
(On top of that, among his 9 INTs, many of them weren't bad passes.)

I swear these "draft experts" just like to find fault, sometimes they make too much out of things.

I couldn't believe it when Jaws said that Newton only had about 30 "NFL" throws at Auburn. That was laziness on his part.
Others didn't even know that Newton had some snaps under Center.
The "1 read" card was the dumbest thing I've heard.
I've seen Cam made all 5 reads on a few occasions (obviously 4 reads and 3 reads were also in the card.)

In the college and draft forum, I had compared Newton with Gabbert, and concluded that Newton should be the #1 player drafted and Gabbert not worthy of first round status.

Texn4life
11-29-2011, 12:04 AM
If 67% completion rate and 8.1 yard per ATTEMPT is not accurate then it must be really amazing when Yates finally become more accurate with better footwork.
(On top of that, among his 9 INTs, many of them weren't bad passes.)

I swear these "draft experts" just like to find fault, sometimes they make too much out of things.

I couldn't believe it when Jaws said that Newton only had about 30 "NFL" throws at Auburn. That was laziness on his part.
Others didn't even know that Newton had some snaps under Center.
The "1 read" card was the dumbest thing I've heard.
I've seen Cam made all 5 reads on a few occasions (obviously 4 reads and 3 reads were also in the card.)

In the college and draft forum, I had compared Newton with Gabbert, and concluded that Newton should be the #1 player drafted and Gabbert not worthy of first round status.

Inconsistency with accuracy is what I believe I initially said. He went through some extremely hot and cold moments which is normal. But in some games he was inaccurate. There's no hiding or defending it. Leinart completion percentage was great in our last game so let's not start making a debate by stating it. I said he was inconsistent with his accuracy which is the truth. I also said it was correctable.

76Texan
11-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Inconsistency with accuracy is what I believe I initially said. He went through some extremely hot and cold moments which is normal. But in some games he was inaccurate. There's no hiding or defending it. Leinart completion percentage was great in our last game so let's not start making a debate by stating it. I said he was inconsistent with his accuracy which is the truth. I also said it was correctable.

And what games would those be?
I just want to watch to have a feel of how you define innacuracy.

I'm not even defending any QB, but sometimes we don't know whether the receiver runs a good route (or even a correct one).
He was playing with 3 sophomores and a Jr at receiver (in 2010).

Other times, it can be hard to see the pressure.
There are other issues that escape me for the moment.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 12:47 AM
The one thing that kinda bothers me from that Yates LSU highlight reel is that it looks like he's got a very, very low launch point. It looks like he's letting the ball go from his ear instead of from over his head. He's got some zip on the ball but if he's going to be launching it from there, he's going to have to be careful about finding good passing lanes or he's going to get a lot of balls batted down.

TexansFanatic
11-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Leinart completion percentage was great in our last game so let's not start making a debate by stating it.

Not difficult to be accurate when each attempt is yielding about 4 yards.

There was a starting quarterback for the Texans a few years ago who also had a very high completion percentage....

Rey
11-29-2011, 06:58 AM
The one thing that kinda bothers me from that Yates LSU highlight reel is that it looks like he's got a very, very low launch point. It looks like he's letting the ball go from his ear instead of from over his head. He's got some zip on the ball but if he's going to be launching it from there, he's going to have to be careful about finding good passing lanes or he's going to get a lot of balls batted down.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/462/978/134176322_crop_650x440.jpg?1322463529

TimeKiller
11-29-2011, 07:25 AM

I think that's more about pocket awareness than anything i.e. knowing when a 6'5'' DLmen is right in front of you as you pass. Yates seems to have a good grip on that as a rookie in limited situations. At least he throws it over the top, Leinart really goes over and Yates does as well, I guess I never realized how side-armed Schaub gets sometimes.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I would prepare him like he's John Elway. First play of the game bomb it to Andre. Shock and awe lol....If they're going to keep a safety or two close to the line and turn up the heat on blitzes I really hope Kubiak lets loose the dogs instead of more turtles.

EVOLVIST
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/462/978/134176322_crop_650x440.jpg?1322463529

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/marino.jpg
Signed,
Needs-No-Introduction

srrono
11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Here is the scouting report on T.J. Yates from PFW's 2011 Draft Preview
http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/t-j-yates-13/

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/marino.jpg
Signed,
Needs-No-Introduction

The problem is... that's not Dan Marino's RELEASE point.

http://product.images.prosportsmemorabilia.com/33-54/33-54047-F.jpg

Marino usually released from high above his head. Even if at some point he held the ball down.

What scares me with TJ Yates is that it looks to me -- and I could be wrong about this -- but it looks to me like he releases from right beside his head.

The good part of that though is that he looks like he's got a quick release and some zip on the ball.

EVOLVIST
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
The problem is... that's not Dan Marino's RELEASE point.

http://product.images.prosportsmemorabilia.com/33-54/33-54047-F.jpg

Marino usually released from high above his head. Even if at some point he held the ball down.

What scares me with TJ Yates is that it looks to me -- and I could be wrong about this -- but it looks to me like he releases from right beside his head.

The good part of that though is that he looks like he's got a quick release and some zip on the ball.

Right. Which was part of my point. One can snap a photo of a QB at any point in his throwing motion and you can see what looks like he's throwing from his ear hole, like the Marino photo.

But scope Yates below as he relases the ball.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/Yates.jpg

Regardless, the solid attributes you listed above are nice. Those balls had a comet's tail on them. But also, a low release or not (which I don't think he has), that double pump on the pass to OD (though it was incomplete), shows the presence of mind he has with a lineman jumping in front of his face.

One can only hope we don't see too many batted balls.

Edit: BTW, what's with the tea-sippin' pinky thing Yates has going on with his non-throwing hand in both photos? Maybe we are truly screwed! :thinking:

El Tejano
11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
face.

Batted balls are never good at any point and seeing them be batted can sometimes be equally as painful. :ant:

HJam72
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Right. Which was part of my point. One can snap a photo of a QB at any point in his throwing motion and you can see what looks like he's throwing from his ear hole, like the Marino photo.

Regardless, the solid attributes you listed above are nice. Those balls had a comet's tail on them. But also, a low release or not (which I don't think he has), that double pump on the pass to OD (though it was incomplete), shows the presence of mind he has with a lineman jumping in front of his face.

Edit: BTW, what's with the tea-sippin' pinky thing Yates has going on with his non-throwing hand in both photos? Maybe we are truly screwed! :thinking:

I think that's a good sign. It means he's concentrating on precision passes and couldn't give #*(^ what his left hand looks like. If he starts letting his tongue hang out too (or something else weird like that), we got a baller on our hands.

HJam72
11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Also, that release isn't Marino's, but it's pretty descent/good.

TexCanada
11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
In the extremely limited snaps that I've seen Yates take, it appeared to me that his release point against the Jags was higher then it was at UNC. I think that it is possible that he altered his throwing motion a bit between his college days and the Jags game. Maybe the Texans' staff has had him working on it.

El Tejano
11-29-2011, 11:45 AM
One thing I would like to see Yates do (and I know many of you will say for him not to since we are down to him only) is keep drives alive if a running lane is there. I think his mobility is something that teams haven't prepared for and I would like to see him show that in our play action game.

ziggy29
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
One thing I would like to see Yates do (and I know many of you will say for him not to since we are down to him only) is keep drives alive if a running lane is there. I think his mobility is something that teams haven't prepared for and I would like to see him show that in our play action game.
I'm all for doing once there's another QB on the sidelines who knows the playbook and has practiced the offense enough to be ready to run it. This week? Probably not so much running, IMO, but I would definitely like to see more play action.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Actually, that picture makes me feel a lot better. From what I was seeing in his college footage, it looked like he was releasing a lot lower than that. And when I ran through the game last night, it looked like he was higher but still very low with his release. But that picture you've posted looks like his release is nice and relatively high.

So I must have just been imagining things.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 11:56 AM

IIRC, Kubes said the same thing in his press conference. He's all for Yates using his athleticism to get out of the pocket and run.

He just didn't want him doing it last week when there was no one backing him up except for Owen Daniels.

beerlover
11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
IIRC, Kubes said the same thing in his press conference. He's all for Yates using his athleticism to get out of the pocket and run.

He just didn't want him doing it last week when there was no one backing him up except for Owen Daniels.

It will be interesting to see how accurate Yates is on the run?

Hervoyel
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm all for doing once there's another QB on the sidelines who knows the playbook and has practiced the offense enough to be ready to run it. This week? Probably not so much running, IMO, but I would definitely like to see more play action.

Aren't we the demanding one now? Knows the playbook AND has practiced enough to be able to run it?

You'll take your washed up, confused old geezer and like it sonny!

Hervoyel
11-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Did you watch the NC-LSU link from 2010? Rolls out in the end zone just like Schaub and hits a WR in stride at the 50 for a 97 yard TD.

I'm not worried.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Did you watch the NC-LSU link from 2010? Rolls out in the end zone just like Schaub and hits a WR in stride at the 50 for a 97 yard TD.

I'm not worried.

Yeah. That play gave me goose bumps.

GuerillaBlack
11-29-2011, 12:40 PM

I'm not worried.

If he can catch Andre and Jacoby in stride on those bootlegs (and not have them have to stop and wait for the ball), then I'll probably be doing backflips. Play gave me goosebumps as well.

bckey
11-29-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm not worried.

I have been feeling better about Yates after initially being pissed that the Texans lost another qb for the season. I really think Yates is the better option from here on out. Leinert did nothing sunday that looked like he had indeed changed. They do need to find the absolute best backup qb they can though because this year seems to be unpredictable as far as injuries.

Texn4life
11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
And what games would those be?
I just want to watch to have a feel of how you define innacuracy.

I'm not even defending any QB, but sometimes we don't know whether the receiver runs a good route (or even a correct one).
He was playing with 3 sophomores and a Jr at receiver (in 2010).

Other times, it can be hard to see the pressure.
There are other issues that escape me for the moment.

I watched Virginia Tech in 2008 which is a game where he was pretty decent. Made a couple of errant throws, but overall he was good.

And I watched Virginia Tech last year. He threw 4 ints in this game, but some of those weren't his fault so I'm not holding him up to his stats.

I also watched a youtube clip on him from last year that shows all of his throws and runs against Clemson.

I've already explained what I saw in regards to his inaccuracy. His footwork wasn't sound at all times and it led to some errant throws (mostly low) which again is normal for a lot of Quarterbacks. I'm confident Kubiak's work has gotten him squared away.

Number19
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I doubt the run game improves much against Atlanta, but the passing might.To start, Atlanta will probably put 8 or 9 in the box to shut down our run attack - daring Kubiak and Yates to prove the inexperienced QB can find the open receiver and take advantage of the run-prevent defense. I agree we can't play conservatively and expect to run effectively or win by being conservative. We need to throw the ball downfield from the get-go. But I think that OD should be a primary target as well as AJ.

If we can move the ball by the pass, this will open up the run lanes.

76Texan
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM

What I like is that Yates looked good at UNC on roll out to either side.

Update: Yates has a stronger arm than Schaub and Leinart out of college. He still has the better arm now.

On one play in the game against Roc Carmichael's VTech (the LOS was the 22), Yates took the ball, faked a hand off to the RB (in straight I), faked a reverse to a receiver, and turned around at his 14-yd line (front foot planted with his weight leaning forward - good mechanic).
He bounced once then took a hop step with his right foot forward, planted his left foot at the 16 yd line and launched the throw.

This is the 2-man route that I talked about several times with the Roc in place of Kareem Jackson at LCB.
One safety came down to play the run; the other cut off the crosser.
The on-side receiver had inside position on Carmichael (and slightly ahead); ie. very open.
The off-side CB (RCB) took the post and would intercept the ball off a skinny post.
(Carmichael sucks the same as Jackson! :kitten:)

The RCB high-pointed the ball around the VT 27-28yd line (chest-high would be around the 25-26yd line) for the interception.

That's a 52-53 yd throw from the LOS (or 58-59 yards from where Yates set up shop.).
The fact that Yates was roughly 7 yards from the LOS (his base) instead of the normal 9 yards or so in a 7-step drop can be countered with the fact that he set up for the throw quicker.

And even if you add a couple yards (or rather, subtract a couple of yards), it was still a 50-51 yd throw, which is at least 3 more yards than I've seen Schaub or Leinart threw it.

So there you have it, Yates has a little better arm and can throw better on the run (on either side) than both Schaub and Leinart.

76Texan
11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
I watched Virginia Tech in 2008 which is a game where he was pretty decent. Made a couple of errant throws, but overall he was good.

And I watched Virginia Tech last year. He threw 4 ints in this game, but some of those weren't his fault so I'm not holding him up to his stats.

I also watched a youtube clip on him from last year that shows all of his throws and runs against Clemson.

I've already explained what I saw in regards to his inaccuracy. His footwork wasn't sound at all times and it led to some errant throws (mostly low) which again is normal for a lot of Quarterbacks. I'm confident Kubiak's work has gotten him squared away.

Oh I agree that Yates still has a lot he can improve on.
From his footwork to his eye movement, etc.

But let's not forget that he lost his number one receiver (Greg Little, who is now doing quite well in the NFL) and his number TE (we know that the TE is very important in the WCO).
Not only that, he lost 4 RBs (yes, FOUR) during the year - and the RBs are also very important in the WCO.

His receivers consisted of a Jr, 2 Soph, and a Fr (and mistated earlier that it was one Jr and 3 Sophs).

He had to get in sync with new targets, and nothing can help except more reps together.
What he accomplished in his Sr. year was pretty astounding given those facts.

On the other hand, if he was even more accurate, he would have been drafted a lot higher.

I think the Texans were fortunate to find a guy they can work with (not saying that he's sure to turn out to be a legit NFL starter.)

If he can improve the way Schaub had, I think I'm going to like it!

BTW, once in a long while, on the deep ball, Yates would bring the ball back a bit too low on his hip and ended up with a long-winded throwing motion like Schaub used to do (and still does occasionally).

76Texan
11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
T.J. Yates Pro-Day:

"I thought he threw the ball well," said Butch Davis (UNC coach), who noted that Yates completed 110 of his 112 attempts. "He's getting bigger and stronger every day."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-31/unc-quarterback-tj-yates-a-pleasant-pro-day-surprise#ixzz1f8EGLpjV

TexansBull
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Listen to this: A podcast with Butch Davis, Yates' coach at UNC, after Yates was drafted by the Texans, before the lockout was lifted. This gives about as much insight as you'd want, coupled with things Schaub and Kubes have said.

http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1354

Thanks. Rep coming your way later.

Yates can surprise a lot of people. I think he will. I think he knows more of the playbook than some expect. The only holding him is what is between his ears, the same as Leinart. And if it is right between the ears, we will have a qb that can make our offense that much more explosive. It is possible that someone will have to start for Schuab next year and this might create a controversy if this guy develops in the right direction. I'm on the Yates train. Hopefully I don't regret it.

EVOLVIST
11-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks. Rep coming your way later.

Yates can surprise a lot of people. I think he will. I think he knows more of the playbook than some expect. The only holding him is what is between his ears, the same as Leinart. And if it is right between the ears, we will have a qb that can make our offense that much more explosive. It is possible that someone will have to start for Schuab next year and this might create a controversy if this guy develops in the right direction. I'm on the Yates train. Hopefully I don't regret it.

Yeah, hopefully none of us will regret it, man (for those of us holding out hope for Yates).

Plus, I was talking to a friend today, and if Yates pans out, that would pretty much seal up that we won't be drafting a QB in the first round next year, but instead the best WR we can get in whatever slot we draft in the 1st. *shrug*

GP
11-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, hopefully none of us will regret it, man (for those of us holding out hope for Yates).

Plus, I was talking to a friend today, and if Yates pans out, that would pretty much seal up that we won't be drafting a QB in the first round next year, but instead the best WR we can get in whatever slot we draft in the 1st. *shrug*

We've run through Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart.

We have to make QB the most important draft position. Schaub was already getting less mobile as every season passed, and now the foot injury means his chances are SLIM of ever being even the 2011 Schaub we know him to be.

QB is a problem now. There are some decent choices this season, too, and I would expect us to either trade UP in round 1 or take whatever our round 1 slot ends up being and use it on a QB even if we "think" he'd be there in round 2. QB is everything, IMO. Without it, the offense doesn't work.

Hell, even then...the new round 1 QB would still be a rookie and what can we reasonably expect from even a round 1 rookie QB who is just hitting the NFL and learning how to survive out there?

Gonna' be tough sledding one way or another, I suppose.

Texn4life
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Is Schaub going to still be able to be around the team regularly and on the sideline to help Yates after he has his surgery tomorrow? Not sure if it's going to require some serious bed rest after this kind of surgery or not.

LikeMike
11-29-2011, 04:38 PM

We have to make QB the most important draft position. Schaub was already getting less mobile as every season passed, and now the foot injury means his chances are SLIM of ever being even the 2011 Schaub we know him to be.

QB is a problem now. There are some decent choices this season, too, and I would expect us to either trade UP in round 1 or take whatever our round 1 slot ends up being and use it on a QB even if we "think" he'd be there in round 2. QB is everything, IMO. Without it, the offense doesn't work.

Hell, even then...the new round 1 QB would still be a rookie and what can we reasonably expect from even a round 1 rookie QB who is just hitting the NFL and learning how to survive out there?

While Im not totally against drafting a QB early Im still baffled at the most important draft position. Schaub`s been playing well for us - not elite but well enough to carry us deep into the playoffs. If you want an elite QB you usually need a top 10 draft pick and a lot of luck (...). Both things the Texans usually lack.

So if a QB we really like falls in the draft and into our lap, sure take him. But there is no way I would reach for a QB - not when we are so close to being a real contender (another weapon at WR and a good NT and some good backups might be all we need).

EVOLVIST
11-29-2011, 04:41 PM

If Yates comes in tearing the roof off this sucker, you're saying the Texans would still pick up a QB in the first round?

I agree about the Texans needing a QB, but there would be no way they'd reward a badass stretch from TJ Yates with drafting another QB in round 1, plus having Schaub on roster, and Lienart with another year on contract. No way.

Of course, all of this is predicated on Yates kicking the goddamn door down. If Yates comes in and sucks worse than hooker with a cavity, then yeah, hit the QB button in round 1. If Yates rocks it, however, our pal AJ needs a new buddy in the WR Corps.

LikeMike
11-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Ive just done a litte research since I don`t know much about college football... it seems like there are 4 potential franchise QBs in the next draft (Luck, Barkley, Griffin and Jones) - all of which should go between 1 and 11. The next QB has a 3d round grade (Tannehill).

So if we want one of the big 4 we need to get at least a top 10 pick. With us probably picking in the 20s, that will be expensive - think Falcons in the last draft. Would you really be willing to give up that much for a potential franchise QB? Think about it, the alternative is going with Schaub (or Yates if he has a kick ass year) - and using all those picks you saved to fill the holes of your team. Maybe get Floyd to fix the WR problem, Ta`amu to fill the NT problem or DeCastro to get a kick ass O-Line. And that`s only the first round.

Id say no matter how bad Yates play - if Schaub gets healthy, only take a QB if one of the big 4 falls below #15. Otherwise just take bpa...

Texn4life
11-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Ive just done a litte research since I don`t know much about college football... it seems like there are 4 potential franchise QBs in the next draft (Luck, Barkley, Griffin and Jones) - all of which should go between 1 and 11. The next QB has a 3d round grade (Tannehill).

So if we want one of the big 4 we need to get at least a top 10 pick. With us probably picking in the 20s, that will be expensive - think Falcons in the last draft. Would you really be willing to give up that much for a potential franchise QB? Think about it, the alternative is going with Schaub (or Yates if he has a kick ass year) - and using all those picks you saved to fill the holes of your team. Maybe get Floyd to fix the WR problem, Ta`amu to fill the NT problem or DeCastro to get a kick ass O-Line. And that`s only the first round.

Id say no matter how bad Yates play - if Schaub gets healthy, only take a QB if one of the big 4 falls below #15. Otherwise just take bpa...

Tannehill won't last past the 2nd round. Kiper actually has him in his top 32 right now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 1st round at all. Floyd is the receiver I think we need to draft if he's there in the first.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 05:35 PM

The big, big, big problem here is that Schaub is probably going to take about a year to get healthy and then we'll find out if he'll even be able to play again. This is a serious surgery on his plant foot. He might not make it back. And it would be a minor miracle if he was back in time for preseason or the beginning of the season.

So we're looking at Yates or Leinart at the beginning of next season.

In a perfect world, Yates BLOWS UP and makes this entire conversation moot. But if he doesn't... are we willing to write off next season with a rookie QB that might just get benched if Schaub comes back? If we pin our hopes on that rookie, then we're basically saying goodbye to Schaub. Our team SHOULD be good enough to get to the playoffs even with the rookie.

If we're willing to do that, then I'm concentrating on RGIII. If RGIII drops to about the 8th or 9th pick, then I find a way to trade up and get him. I'm not sure I'm willing to go up much higher than that and I might look at someone like Tannehill at the end of the first instead.

TexansFanatic
11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
In a perfect world, Yates BLOWS UP

I think the football gods owe us that. We've suffered enough.

I'm thinking TJ shines.

DexmanC
11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
The big, big, big problem here is that Schaub is probably going to take about a year to get healthy and then we'll find out if he'll even be able to play again. This is a serious surgery on his plant foot. He might not make it back. And it would be a minor miracle if he was back in time for preseason or the beginning of the season.

In a perfect world, Yates BLOWS UP and makes this entire conversation moot. But if he doesn't... are we willing to write off next season with a rookie QB that might just get benched if Schaub comes back? If we pin our hopes on that rookie, then we're basically saying goodbye to Schaub. Our team SHOULD be good enough to get to the playoffs even with the rookie.

If we're willing to do that, then I'm concentrating on RGIII. If RGIII drops to about the 8th or 9th pick, then I find a way to trade up and get him. I'm not sure I'm willing to go up much higher than that and I might look at someone like Tannehill at the end of the first instead.

This offense with RGIII would be just the remedy for the Colts with Andrew Luck.
I'd like to see that happen, but this GM hasn't shown the ballz to make such a move.
TJ's poise was apparent when he came into Sunday's game cold. Leinart was a
nervous wreck, and could only see Arian Foster. TJ at least is brave enough to
keep his eyes downfield.

Grams
11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I think we need to wait till we see how TJ handles the falcons.

We may not need to worry about drafting a QB next year.

Big Lou
11-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't know what everyone is so worried about, TJ is undefeated right now, he just wins.........

ThaJokaa
11-29-2011, 06:07 PM
This offense with RGIII would be just the remedy for the Colts with Andrew Luck.
I'd like to see that happen, but this GM hasn't shown the ballz to make such a move.
TJ's poise was apparent when he came into Sunday's game cold. Leinart was a
nervous wreck, and could only see Arian Foster. TJ at least is brave enough to
keep his eyes downfield.

Over Rated IMO

LikeMike
11-29-2011, 06:12 PM

So if that`s the case, we should get a high draft pick next season - or have a good QB in Yates. I wouldn`t sell the bank this year because the price would be too high. There never is a guarantee and lots of QBs end up being a disappointment (remember when Alex Smith was the safe pick with serious doubts about Aaron Rodgers?). So just go with it this year, find out at which position we draft and then look at our future. Im pretty sure we`ll have Schaub back before the start of next season. He might not be as mobile... well he never was mobile.

But I like the thought of a young promising franchise QB sitting a year or two behind Schaub. Maybe we should trade with Indy for Luck ;-)

Brisco_County
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
TJ will be just fine. And if he isn't, and Schaub can't get healthy, Griffin III will be our guy.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
So if that`s the case, we should get a high draft pick next season - or have a good QB in Yates. I wouldn`t sell the bank this year because the price would be too high. There never is a guarantee and lots of QBs end up being a disappointment (remember when Alex Smith was the safe pick with serious doubts about Aaron Rodgers?). So just go with it this year, find out at which position we draft and then look at our future. Im pretty sure we`ll have Schaub back before the start of next season. He might not be as mobile... well he never was mobile.

But I like the thought of a young promising franchise QB sitting a year or two behind Schaub. Maybe we should trade with Indy for Luck ;-)

If we totally tank and Yates is totally abysmal, the worst we can do is 8-8 which means we'll be picking in the middle somewhere. That's not a high draft pick but it does make it easier for us to trade up into the 5-10 range.

From what Doc posted, the recovery time required could easily be a year assuming that he recovers to a point of being able to play at all. I don't think we should pin any hopes for him being back next year.

LikeMike
11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I was actually talking about the 2012 season (and Schaub not being healthy). Next draft we won`t have a high draft pick - and that means trading up will be too expensive.

Dishman
11-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Does anyone know how Schaub's release compares? He's had a number of balls batted at the line of scrimage, though perhaps this is a result of his banged-up shoulder and hip?

thunderkyss
11-29-2011, 08:04 PM

I thought Leinart looked fine. Not earth shattering, ground breaking, or a world beater, but if you remember the two weeks before, we weren't expecting him to try to prove crap.... just manage the game. & he did.

I don't expect him to play "that way" forever, just until he's comfortable with the players around him @game speed.

If TJ isn't the answer, Leinart gets another shot until Schaub is ready to go.

As has been said before, Rick Smith, GK, Dennison, Wade, Cal, & Bob should evaluate the team and address holes & needs as they see fit. If they feel QB requires a first, second, or third round pick, so be it.

iLoveTexans
11-29-2011, 08:05 PM
I believe in Yates! Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9cxMHezHI&feature=related

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I thought Leinart looked pretty terrible. I thought he was way too tentative. But he did look pretty good on that TD pass... AND... as bad as he looked, we put up 17 points in less than a half with him at the helm against a team that held us to 24 in a full game earlier in the season.

He didn't get a lot of yards and the ypa was fer ****, but it was efficient.

I think we're going to need more production from the QB spot against better teams. But I could be wrong. We could make this work like the Broncos are making their situation work.

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Something I really liked hearing was that TJ Yates was the guy throwing Andre balls during rehab. He threw a LOT to AJ.

So they should have some chemistry.

EllisUnit
11-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Im sorry but 4 potential Franchise QBs ???? Really ? How many top 10 QBs come out of the NFL draft and actually become successful ? Heres a list that might ring a bell as potential Franchise College QBs.

1st round 1st pick David Carr - NO
1st round 3rd pick Joey Herrington - NO

4th round 108th pick David Garrard - Better than the 2 first rounders

1st round 1st pick Carson Palmer - He was ok
1st round 7th pick Byron Leftwich - He was ok
1st round 19th pick Kyle Boller - NO
1st round 22nd pick Rex Grossman - NO

this was by far the best QB draft class of the century with
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Big Ben
all going in the top 15.

then you have
3rd round 90th pick Matt Schaub - YES

1st round 1st pick Alex Smith - Been a bust until this season so its iffy

then

1st round 24th pick Aaron Rogers - YES
1st round 25th pick Jason Campbell - ????

then

4th round 106th pick Kyle Orton - sorta
6th round 213th pick Derek Anderson - Took the browns to the play-offs
7th round 230th pick Matt Cassel - YES
7th round 250th pick Ryan Fitzpatrick - started the bills off 5-0 not bad

1st round 3rd pick Vince Young - NO
1st round 10th pick Matt Leinart - NO

then

2nd round 64th pick Tavaris Jackson - Not looking to terrible

1st round 1st pick Jamarcus Russell - HELL NO
1st round 22nd pick Brady Quinn - NO

then

2nd round 36th pick Kevin Kolb - Jurys still out

1st round 3rd pick Matt Ryan - YES
1st round 18th pick Joe Flacco - YES

1st round 1st pick Matthew Stafford - So far yes
1st round 5th pick Mark Sanchez - Nothing special
1st round 17th pick Josh Freeman - Hes a starter

1st round 1st pick Sam Bradford - Looks good
1st round 25th pick Tim Tebow - they are winning but wont for long with him

well we all know those results.

NOW undrafted QBs

Kurt Warner - YES
Jeff Carcia - had success
WARREN MOON - Enough said
Tony Romo - ewwww

So you tell me, what are the odds we will find a franchise QB in the 1st round ??? How about we give yates a shot surely he has just as good of a chance as that no name 7th round pick tom brady. Sorry but this list is proff that the scouts and "experts" and college stats are wrong more times than not.

So heres to our new starter Yates :)

TexansFanatic
11-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Repped. Thanks for posting that.

He looked the way a field general is supposed to look.

I [heart] TJ Yates!

The Pencil Neck
11-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Perhaps a better way to look at it is to take a look at the current top 10 QBs by Rating this season:

1. Aaron Rodgers -- 1st round
2. Tom Brady -- 6th round
3. Drew Brees -- 2nd round
4. Tony Romo -- UDFA
5. Matt Schaub -- 3rd round
6. Eli Manning -- 1st round
7. Ben Roethlisberger -- 1st round
8. Alex Smith -- 1st round
9. Matthew Stafford -- 1st round
10. Matt Ryan -- 1st round

In the past 12 years, there have been 32 QBs taken in the first round. 6 of them are highly ranked right now.

Drafting a QB in the first round is a crap shoot.

EllisUnit
11-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Im sorry but 4 potential Franchise QBs ???? Really ? How many top 10 QBs come out of the NFL draft and actually become successful ? Heres a list that might ring a bell as potential Franchise College QBs.

1st round 1st pick David Carr - NO
1st round 3rd pick Joey Herrington - NO

4th round 108th pick David Garrard - Better than the 2 first rounders

1st round 1st pick Carson Palmer - He was ok
1st round 7th pick Byron Leftwich - He was ok
1st round 19th pick Kyle Boller - NO
1st round 22nd pick Rex Grossman - NO

this was by far the best QB draft class of the century with
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Big Ben
all going in the top 15.

then you have
3rd round 90th pick Matt Schaub - YES

1st round 1st pick Alex Smith - Been a bust until this season so its iffy

then

1st round 24th pick Aaron Rogers - YES
1st round 25th pick Jason Campbell - ????

then

4th round 106th pick Kyle Orton - sorta
6th round 213th pick Derek Anderson - Took the browns to the play-offs
7th round 230th pick Matt Cassel - YES
7th round 250th pick Ryan Fitzpatrick - started the bills off 5-0 not bad

1st round 3rd pick Vince Young - NO
1st round 10th pick Matt Leinart - NO

then

2nd round 64th pick Tavaris Jackson - Not looking to terrible

1st round 1st pick Jamarcus Russell - HELL NO
1st round 22nd pick Brady Quinn - NO

then

2nd round 36th pick Kevin Kolb - Jurys still out

1st round 3rd pick Matt Ryan - YES
1st round 18th pick Joe Flacco - YES

1st round 1st pick Matthew Stafford - So far yes
1st round 5th pick Mark Sanchez - Nothing special
1st round 17th pick Josh Freeman - Hes a starter

1st round 1st pick Sam Bradford - Looks good
1st round 25th pick Tim Tebow - they are winning but wont for long with him

well we all know those results.

NOW undrafted QBs

Kurt Warner - YES
Jeff Carcia - had success
WARREN MOON - Enough said
Tony Romo - ewwww

So you tell me, what are the odds we will find a franchise QB in the 1st round ??? How about we give yates a shot surely he has just as good of a chance as that no name 7th round pick tom brady. Sorry but this list is proff that the scouts and "experts" and college stats are wrong more times than not.

So heres to our new starter Yates :)

:thinking:

LikeMike
11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Im sorry but 4 potential Franchise QBs ???? Really ? How many top 10 QBs come out of the NFL draft and actually become successful ?

That`s why I said "potential". Those are guys that teams will be comfortable with spending really high draft picks on - guys that they hope will be their franchise QB. Of those 4 probably not more than 1-2 guys will be a starter in 4 years, while the others might be out of the league or backups.

Actually you made my point. It is way to expensive to trade up to get one of those guys - you have no guarantee that they work out. Actually I guess more than 50% of the QBs in the first round don`T live up to their potential.

So just stay put at the draft or move up a couple of spot to get a player you really like (Floyd?). But don`t give away a bunchload of picks for one of those QBs.

False Start
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM

Excellent, thanks man.

The dude looked like he had no fear. He came in and showed balls. I just hope Kubiak doesn't dumb it down, and not at least try and get some medium range (10-15 yards) passes off.

EllisUnit
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
That`s why I said "potential". Those are guys that teams will be comfortable with spending really high draft picks on - guys that they hope will be their franchise QB. Of those 4 probably not more than 1-2 guys will be a starter in 4 years, while the others might be out of the league or backups.

Actually you made my point. It is way to expensive to trade up to get one of those guys - you have no guarantee that they work out. Actually I guess more than 50% of the QBs in the first round don`T live up to their potential.

So just stay put at the draft or move up a couple of spot to get a player you really like (Floyd?). But don`t give away a bunchload of picks for one of those QBs.

i say we see how yates does before we worry about drafting a guy, we may be looking at our future superbowl MVP as we speak !

ThaJokaa
11-29-2011, 09:39 PM
excellent, thanks man.

The dude looked like he had no fear. He came in and showed balls. I just hope kubiak doesn't dumb it down, and not at least try and get some medium range (10-15 yards) passes off.

johnson on yates: "when he came into the huddle once leinart went down, he came in there and was like whats up fellas? Lets go.

lets do dis!!

TexansBull
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
i say we see how yates does before we worry about drafting a guy, we may be looking at our future superbowl MVP as we speak !

This^(except for superbowl mvp. That's for AJ)

I don't think we draft a qb if yates doesn't do well. He would have to be grossman bad. And yates and leinart proved they are not grossman bad. Remember last year when grossman filled in for schaub and screwed that game for us? Leinart and Yates both showed they are better than that and he is starting else where.

Also, kubiak and smith have shown they stick with their guys. And their guys get second chances. Jacoby, Kareem, Slaton, and more if I think about it enough.

Next draft we don't draft a QB in the first round. Kubiak will go with Yates or Leinart depending on how Yates will do because Schaub will be on the PUP.

EVOLVIST
11-29-2011, 10:18 PM

At the 4:01 mark, two things: One good, one bad.

1.) Now that's an NFL QB footwork! Better than Lienart by far.

2.) He was staring down a covered Jacoby Jones and didn't even look to his left at a wide open KW. Granted, it was man and they brought the blitz, so the pocket collapsed in a hurry, but he never looked left.

a.) I hate it, but it could have very well been one of those "1-read" plays the Texans are so fond of sporting, i.e. AJ wide left and KW in the slot as decoys and you're banking on a favorable matchup one-on-one to the right.

b.) Or...well, he just didn't look left.

76Texan
11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
At the 4:01 mark, two things: One good, one bad.

1.) Now that's an NFL QB footwork! Better than Lienart by far.

2.) He was staring down a covered Jacoby Jones and didn't even look to his left at a wide open KW. Granted, it was man and they brought the blitz, so the pocket collapsed in a hurry, but he never looked left.

a.) I hate it, but it could have very well been one of those "1-read" plays the Texans are so fond of sporting, i.e. AJ wide left and KW in the slot as decoys and you're banking on a favorable matchup one-on-one to the right.

b.) Or...well, he just didn't look left.

It would help of you can tell us the down and distance and the game clock.

EVOLVIST
11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
It would help of you can tell us the down and distance and the game clock.

You mean they've got that in the NFL? :throwball:

1st and goal at the 6 yard line, 0:41 to play in the half. It's where they called Yates for intentional grounding.

Some could argue that he could have even scooted to his left to get a better angle at KW. But that's armchair quarterbacking for you, especially if you are viewing it in slow-mo.

76Texan
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
You mean they've got that in the NFL? :throwball:

1st and goal at the 6 yard line, 0:41 to play in the half. It's where they called Yates for intentional grounding.

Some could argue that he could have even scooted to his left to get a better angle at KW. But that's armchair quarterbacking for you, especially if you are viewing it in slow-mo.

Originally, there was a CB on Walter (30 Coleman - who came in on a blitz after chipping Walter to buy the safety a little time) and a safety over the top to help on either AJ or Walter.
IMO, Yates made the right decision to go with single coverage on JJ.
He saw the LBin the passing lane, however, and decided to try to get out toward the sideline, but couldn't, and so he threw the ball away.

He could have stayed in the pocket, but I think, as a rookie, he's probably taught to try to extend the play by rolling out, and if he can't, to just throw the ball away.

Sidenote (to SteelBlue I think), Yates was inside the tackle box and therefore the right call was intentionally grounding.
The tackle box is defined as the areas between the OTs pre-snap.

thunderkyss
11-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Perhaps a better way to look at it is to take a look at the current top 10 QBs by Rating this season:

4. Tony Romo -- UDFA

In the past 12 years, there have been 32 QBs taken in the first round. 6 of them are highly ranked right now.

Still looks like your chances of getting a "Starting QB" are better with 1st rounders.

Kimmy
11-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Kind of a silly question; Does TJ get any kind of increase in pay going from 3rd to 1st team?

EllisUnit
11-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Still looks like your chances of getting a "Starting QB" are better with 1st rounders.

If there's one thing that all of us should of learned by now is that most big hyped college QBs can't transition to the nfl. If you look at all of the nfls current starters you will see more than half were not high draft picks. And let's be honest a guy like tebow will not continue to have success.

I just think yates deserves a shot to be our future QB we all see that he has the tools, and the confidence seems to be there as well. Just saying don't write him off cause he's a fifth rounder.

Grams
11-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck

4. Tony Romo -- UDFA

Out of the 32 drafted in the first round - where are the other 26 not listed?

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Kind of a silly question; Does TJ get any kind of increase in pay going from 3rd to 1st team?

Not unless there were special incentives built into his contract.......which I would doubt would be the case in a 5th rounder that was not expected to be anything but a 3rd string QB.

76Texan
11-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Not unless there were special incentives built into his contract.......which I would doubt would be the case in a 5th rounder that was not expected to be anything but a 3rd string QB.

Right, and I don't think that any draft pick has incentives either.
Unless the new CBA change things, that is!

Texcore
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I tell you all, I'm excited about this kid and what he can do. Its going to be fun watching him take this team into the playoffs. I just have a good feeling about him and hope he can be our guy for the next 10 years.

I was never sold on "checkdown" Leinart, and Matt Shaub just has never proven to me that he has "IT".

TEAM YATES

DexmanC
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I tell you all, I'm excited about this kid and what he can do. Its going to be fun watching him take this team into the playoffs. I just have a good feeling about him and hope he can be our guy for the next 10 years.

I was never sold on "checkdown" Leinart, and Matt Shaub just has never proven to me that he has "IT".

TEAM YATES

To see a rookie with very little practice time lead his team in the two-minute
drill without flinching was a thing of beauty. I can't wait to see what he looks
like with a week of preparation.

Texcore
11-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Exactly. He showed me way more than Leinart showed me, after Leinart had 2 weeks to prepare.

ziggy29
11-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Schaub is a good QB, in the ranks of the "very solid" but not the "elite", but I think he's pretty much "maxed out" -- pretty much hit his ceiling. I think what we've seen is the best we can realistically expect. We don't know Yates' ceiling yet -- could be lower, could be higher, and while I'm nervous about finding out here and now, I'm also anxious and even a little eager to find out. I did like what I saw at the end of the first half.

False Start
11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Joe Giglio from the Charlotte Observer who covered TJ Yates in college at UNC joined Mike Meltser and they discussed TJ Yates and what to expect out of the rookie quarterback.

This guy was on Mike Meltser's show this morning, he had a lot of good things to say about Yates. It sure as hell made me feel a little bit better, lol.

Here is the audio. (http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2F redirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2F d0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2FdC%2FdX%2FdX%2FZCXX_3.MP3&podcast_name=Joe+Giglio&podcast_artist=Mike+Meltser&station_id=&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON)

BTW I'm all in with the kid, I even changed my avatar for the first time in years, lol.

False Start
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Here is an interview with him from last years combine. I like this guy, he has a great attitude towards life, and sounds very competitive.

TJ Yates - 2011 NFL Combine - Eastbay (http://youtu.be/Hp6UQkkOYSs)

ATXtexanfan
11-30-2011, 02:10 PM
i'm gonna shed a tear if he overthrows someone downfield on sunday

thunderkyss
11-30-2011, 02:51 PM
BTW I'm all in with the kid, I even changed my avatar for the first time in years, lol.

It looks the same as it always had......

Thorn
11-30-2011, 02:53 PM
It looks the same as it always had......

Butthead is wearing at #13 jersey.

thunderkyss
11-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Butthead is wearing at #13 jersey.

What was it before?

The Pencil Neck
11-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Out of the 32 drafted in the first round - where are the other 26 not listed?

That was in the original post I was responding to. But here's the #1 list again, going back to 2000 (and it's only 31, I miscounted):

1. Cam Newton
2. Jake Locker
3. Blaine Gabbert
4. Christan Ponder

5. Sam Bradford
6. Tim Tebow

7. Matthew Stafford
8. Mark Sanchez
9. Josh Freeman

10. Matt Ryan
11. Joe Flacco

12. JaMarcus Russell
13. Brady Quinn

14. Vince Young
15. Matt Leinart
16. Jay Cutler

17. Alex Smith
18. Aaron Rodgers
19. Jason Campbell

20. Eli Manning
21. Philip Rivers
22. Ben Roethlisberger
23. J.P. Losman

24. Carson Palmer
25. Byron Leftwich
26. Kyle Boller
27. Rex Grossman

28. David Carr
29. Joey Harrington

30. Michael Vick

31. Chad Pennington

Texcore
11-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Schaub is a good QB, in the ranks of the "very solid" but not the "elite", but I think he's pretty much "maxed out" -- pretty much hit his ceiling. I think what we've seen is the best we can realistically expect. We don't know Yates' ceiling yet -- could be lower, could be higher, and while I'm nervous about finding out here and now, I'm also anxious and even a little eager to find out. I did like what I saw at the end of the first half.

Shaub is good, at bus driving. He has never been the guy that can carry this franchise on this shoulders and beat teams on his own the way elite and other top tier QBs have/do. How many possible game winning drives have we seen end on a Schaub INT....way too many. That is why I hope Yates finds success, because I am done with Matt Schaub.

But you are right, we don't know what Yates is. But I'm excited to find out.

GuerillaBlack
11-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Shaub is good, at bus driving. He has never been the guy that can carry this franchise on this shoulders and beat teams on his own the way elite and other top tier QBs have/do. How many possible game winning drives have we seen end on a Schaub INT....way too many. That is why I hope Yates finds success, because I am done with Matt Schaub.

But you are right, we don't know what Yates is. But I'm excited to find out.

I think Yates has the potential to he better than Schaub, but Schaub has led this team in game winning drives before. Let's not forget that. He has shown that he can be clutch.

Thorn
11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I think Yates has the potential to he better than Schaub, but Schaub has led this team in game winning drives before. Let's not forget that. He has shown that he can be clutch.

Exactly. While we all want Yates to do something now that we finally are getting to the playoffs, to throw the QB that helped get us there under the bus is a tad premature.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I have no doubt that we will miss Schaub, especially if they make the playoffs.

However, since that's not going to happen, I'm happily hoping that Yates is The Man in my koolaide inebriated state. At this point, I just refuse to get negative until they do something stupid like lose the next 5 games.

*knocks on wood*

False Start
11-30-2011, 04:11 PM
What was it before?

It was Schaub, I put it on there the day we traded for him. :cool:

Corrosion
11-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Thats pretty lofty expectations for a 5th round draft choice.

While Schaub wont ever be confused with Tob Brady , Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees ..... He's in the group just below them even if his W/L record doesnt match theirs the team around him , more specifically the defense has a lot to do with that over the course of his career. He's a top 8 NFL QB.

ziggy29
11-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Shaub is good, at bus driving. He has never been the guy that can carry this franchise on this shoulders and beat teams on his own the way elite and other top tier QBs have/do.

Maybe so. But teams built primarily on defense and the running game rarely need a "bus driver" QB who can carry the team on his back. They need a game manager -- one who efficiently executes the offense, may not be a great passer or have a rifle arm but is good enough to force the defense to respect the pass and move the chains, one who makes good decisions and minimizes turnovers.

Schaub is definitely in the top 10-12 QBs in the game but not in the top 5 -- he's somewhere in the "very solid" category in between. With defense and a running game, that should be good enough most of the time (save for the really bad decisions like the end of the Oakland game). Nevertheless, while I wish it wasn't under these circumstances or with this timing, I am looking forward to seeing whether or not Houston's QB of the future is already in the stable.

infantrycak
11-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Shaub is good, at bus driving.

Yeah, 9000+ yards in two years, something only 6 NFL QB's have ever done, is bus driving. And funny how he has done it with according to many people crap WR's other than AJ.

He has never been the guy that can carry this franchise on this shoulders and beat teams on his own the way elite and other top tier QBs have/do. How many possible game winning drives have we seen end on a Schaub INT....way too many.

How many game winning drives have we seen in the past couple years have we seen Schaub orchestrate only to have Kris Brown miss a field goal or the D to turn around and allow a game winning drive to the opposing team? - way too many.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, 9000+ yards in two years, something only 6 NFL QB's have ever done, is bus driving. And funny how he has done it with according to many people crap WR's other than AJ.

How many game winning drives have we seen in the past couple years have we seen Schaub orchestrate only to have Kris Brown miss a field goal or the D to turn around and allow a game winning drive to the opposing team? - way too many.

Yeah, a defense half as good as this year's would have gotten us to the playoffs the past couple of years with our offensive production.

Interesting to note that the majority of "elite" QBs also have good defenses that can hold a lead. Manning is the only one that I can think of that has not had a consistently good D.

Corrosion
11-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah, a defense half as good as this year's would have gotten us to the playoffs the past couple of years with our offensive production.

Interesting to note that the majority of "elite" QBs also have good defenses that can hold a lead. Manning is the only one that I can think of that has not had a consistently good D.

GB's pass defense gives up more yardage (20) that last years Texans defense. Tho they do cause a lot of turnovers.

Double Barrel
11-30-2011, 05:15 PM
GB's pass defense gives up more yardage (20) that last years Texans defense. Tho they do cause a lot of turnovers.

True, but they have a solid run defense. Currently ranked 13 in that category.

Tied for 11th in sacks, so that helps that poor pass coverage, as well.

LikeMike
11-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Schaub is good. He is not as good as:

- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Aaron Rodgers
- Drew Brees
- Philip Rivers (though he is having a real down year)
- Ben Roethlisberger
- Eli Manning (Eli is way more clutch - the first 3 quarters Schaub may be better)

After that it gets tough. Flacco, Ryan, Vick, Stafford all might be better or worse - the jury is still out on Newton and Dalton.

The thing about the first list: with the exception of Rivers all of those guys have a ring - while none of the others have one. But the other thing about the first list: you have to be really lucky to land a guy like that. There is no guarantee that Luck will once be in that list. And Bradford right now looks rather unimpressive...

A guy like Schaub probably doesn`t win you a Superbowl. But he sure won`t lose you a Superbowl. He is a guy that 20 other teams would like to have - and a guy with whom we can win a Superbowl (if our defense and running game stay as good as they are).

Now if Yates can become a player like Schaub we`d be a real lucky team. But please don`t expect too much - there is a reason why he was a 5th round pick. There is some promise, but there are also a lot of question marks. If everything goes as usual he may become a borderline #2 QB.

FirstTexansFan
11-30-2011, 05:16 PM
For what it's worth, another quarterback that used initials as his name had an illustrious career. Here's hoping that TJ Yates puts up Y. A. Tittle numbers.... not to mention the first three letters of TJ's last name match up perfectly... Destiny! :)

The Pencil Neck
11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Schaub is good. He is not as good as:

- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Aaron Rodgers
- Drew Brees

I stop it right there.

- Ben Roethlisberger
- Eli Manning

Schaub fits in with these guys, in my estimation. What Roethlisberger and Manning have had that Schaub hasn't up to this point is a defense and a running game. Schaub is like the Marino in these guys (I'm not saying he's as good as Marino) -- Schaub doesn't have the Super Bowls but he's better from a statistical standpoint. He's done things passing yardage wise these guys haven't matched.

- Philip Rivers
I think he's horribly over-rated and without the right pieces around him (like Sproles and LT back in the day and a great defense), he's starting to show his weaknesses.

Flacco, Cutler, Stafford, Ryan... these guys are in this group as well. Good players but they've still got to "do it." Schaub is above them because he's been able to do statistically more with less.

The thing is... all of these guys are good enough to win Super Bowls, in my estimation. They just need the right pieces around them and some luck.

DexmanC
11-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Brady, Roethlisberger, and Eli all benefited from great defenses early in their
careers. No reason TJ can't do the same.