PDA

View Full Version : TJ Yates

Pages : 1 [2] 3

LikeMike
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
The thing about Big Ben and Eli: they really show up when it matters. Both have shown the poise and the ability to completely take over a game and win it with amazing plays - and they have done it in the playoffs and in the Superbowl.

Schaub has had some clutch plays, also a lot of those were just AJ being a bad ass. But he never really had shown the: "it`s on me guys. Just follow me and we will win this thing" face. He is a great QB, but not necessary a great winner. When it is close he plays almost the same as he did at the start of the game. That`s not a bad thing, but QBs like Big Ben and Eli, they really shine in the clutch. That`s why they are in a group above Schaub.

Rivers is a hard one to figure out. The last years he had great stats and has really led the team - but always came up short as a huge disappointment. This year he basically sucks (lucky me has him on FF).

kingh99
11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Yates has swagger and appears in his youtube videos to be a slinger with plenty of arm. He cocks the ball barely past his ear and wrist rockets it out using a low forward trajectory. That could mean batted down balls. Regardless, any athletic guy who can get rid of the ball in an eye blink is going to be a handful for any defense.

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Nick Scurfield
NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
by HoustonTexans
TJ Yates: "I’m not really a guy that gets too up and down. I stay pretty even-keeled." His teammates say the same about him
2 hours ago

ATXtexanfan
11-30-2011, 07:13 PM
schaub has no touch and cant get ball downfield. i hope yates works out. schaub maxed out like three years ago and has nothing left. spare me comeback wins in the regular season and he isn't challenging marinos passing record and will NEVER challenge the passing td record cause he has no arm

Rey
11-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah, 9000+ yards in two years, something only 6 NFL QB's have ever done, is bus driving. And funny how he has done it with according to many people crap WR's other than AJ.

Schaub also threw the ball more than anyone else during that time span.

It was also the only two years he was in the top ten in yards if I'm not mistaken.

How many game winning drives have we seen in the past couple years have we seen Schaub orchestrate only to have Kris Brown miss a field goal or the D to turn around and allow a game winning drive to the opposing team? - way too many.

This is true.

Schaub and the offense has had their warts, but they have been good enough to win games with a better defense.

The Pencil Neck
11-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Schaub also threw the ball more than anyone else during that time span.

It was also the only two years he was in the top ten in yards if I'm not mistaken.

In 2009, Matt Schaub led the league in Yards with 4770 which was 200 more than Peyton and 6th most EVER at the time. In 2010, Schaub was 4th with 4370 and only Rivers, Manning, and Brees had more.

thunderkyss
11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
It was Schaub, I put it on there the day we traded for him. :cool:

For some reason, I thought it was that other #8

thunderkyss
11-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Thats pretty lofty expectations for a 5th round draft choice.

While Schaub wont ever be confused with Tob Brady , Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees ..... He's in the group just below them even if his W/L record doesnt match theirs the team around him , more specifically the defense has a lot to do with that over the course of his career. He's a top 8 NFL QB.

I'd have loved to see Schaub in the play-offs. When games mattered, if he played with that urgency we've seen him play with before.

I have no doubt in my mind that Schaub can be on the same level as those guys, he just hasn't had the opportunity. This team is primed for it right now. I thought we were in for something special this season, & Matt Schaub was a big part of that.

The Play-offs are when champions are forged.

Schaub after a play-off run would be a totally different QB than he is now.

thunderkyss
11-30-2011, 07:47 PM
How many game winning drives have we seen in the past couple years have we seen Schaub orchestrate only to have Kris Brown miss a field goal or the D to turn around and allow a game winning drive to the opposing team? - way too many.

See. If he had IT like Tebow, VY, & maybe Yates, Kris Brown wouldn't miss any field goals, Chris Brown would have thrown it in the stands & the defense would be #1.....

TejasTom
11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
In 2009, Matt Schaub led the league in Yards with 4770 which was 200 more than Peyton and 6th most EVER at the time. In 2010, Schaub was 4th with 4370 and only Rivers, Manning, and Brees had more.

And he didn't have Foster busting multiple 75+ yac plays.

panamamyers
11-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Top 8 for Schaub?
Name me 20+ teams that would trade their qb for Schaub.
I can't think of more than 6-8 maybe.

Rey
11-30-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm not really a stat guy but I was just pointing out that when he was putting up all those yards he was also throwing it more than anyone.

I don't know if Matt is right under the elites though. Depends on who you ask and I think it is far from a cemented fact. I also think it's foolish to say he sucks. He doesn't suck.

Rey
11-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Top 8 for Schaub?

I made a list not too long ago and I think I came up with maybe 5 or 6 teams that would trade their qb straight up for schaub tommorrow.

Now, that is not the same thing as those qb's being better than schaub, but moreso about the total picture.

b0ng
11-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Top 8 for Schaub?

Jacksonville, Tennessee, Seattle, Cleveland, 9'ers, Washington, Kansas City, Denver, Miami, Probably Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Jets, probably Oakland, probably Minnesota

stingray
11-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Man, Schaub is not great but he is a damn good QB. There are at least 20 teams that would love to have him as their QB. I hope TJ Yates lights it up but most probable is the fact that we will recognize what Matt Schaub meant to this team after this season.

stingray
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Jacksonville, Tennessee, Seattle, Cleveland, 9'ers, Washington, Kansas City, Denver, Miami, Probably Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Jets, probably Oakland, probably Minnesota

And I can add more to this list that have a younger QB and wouldn't trade for Matt straight up but Schaub was outplaying them. Detroit, Tampa, St, Louis, Chicago, and Baltimore.

ATXtexanfan
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Man, Schaub is not great but he is a damn good QB. There are at least 20 teams that would love to have him as their QB. I hope TJ Yates lights it up but most probable is the fact that we will recognize what Matt Schaub meant to this team after this season.

twenty teams don't make the playoffs every year, right? i could be wrong

CretorFrigg
11-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Anybody else think Yates should change his number? I don't like that he's 13. :-\

TexansFanatic
11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Anybody else think Yates should change his number? I don't like that he's 13. :-\

Marino wore 13.

So did Kurt Warner.

I like it a lot.

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM

Pitched all through college with #13 on my back.......my lucky number. Evidently, he feels that it's also his.........I'll take that as a good omen!:pirate:

ObsiWan
11-30-2011, 10:20 PM

naaaah...

the number don't make the man

the Man makes the number.

:play:

EVOLVIST
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Pitched all through college with #13 on my back.......my lucky number. Evidently, he feels that it's also his.........I'll take that as a good omen!:pirate:

Yeah, I totally dig that. I was played WR all through high school, at Bellaire and Lamar, #13. Plus, I was born on the 13th day of November.

TexansFanatic
11-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Triskaidekaphobia is just silly.

At this point I think the Texans should ban the # 8.

ThaJokaa
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Triskaidekaphobia is just silly.

At this point I think the Texans should ban the # 8.
Nope, one of my fav #s

EVOLVIST
11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I prefer the number 16.

That's where she gets eight and I get eight. :)

False Start
11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I totally dig that. I was played WR all through high school, at Bellaire and Lamar, #13. Plus, I was born on the 13th day of November.

I've always used 13 too. If you add the year I was born (76) together, it comes out to thirteen.

ThaJokaa
11-30-2011, 10:59 PM
I prefer the number 16.

That's where she gets eight and I get eight. :)

The hell... Hope ur a female, cuz a male with a vaj...

Edit, if that's what u ment

EVOLVIST
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
The hell... Hope ur a female, cuz a male with a vaj...

Edit, if that's what u ment

Nah, man, I'm a guy. I mean, you've never heard the expression, "Eat di--?"

Eh, never mind. She knew the expression...and she did (for what it's worth).

steelbtexan
11-30-2011, 11:23 PM
The Texans should ban the #8.

I'm OK with 13.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, 9000+ yards in two years, something only 6 NFL QB's have ever done, is bus driving. And funny how he has done it with according to many people crap WR's other than AJ.

Thats all fine and dandy for those folks playing fantasy football, but what was our record in those two years? 9-7, 6-10. In my time I've seen prolific numbers from QBs with poor defenses that translate to winning seasons because they put the team on their back and carry them. Schaub hasn't/doesn't do that. Sorry to say. I wish like hell he has, but I'm just being a realist.

Just as many that have ended in Schaub throwing an INT or not even producing a drive. And when a game comes down to your special teams having to win the game, that just says the offense didn't do enough during the game to put it away.

I've seen enough of Schaub to know he is a good game manager of the offense. But that will only get you so far. To get where we want to go, we need more of a playmaker at the position. Plain and simple.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I stop it right there.

- Ben Roethlisberger
- Eli Manning

Schaub fits in with these guys, in my estimation. What Roethlisberger and Manning have had that Schaub hasn't up to this point is a defense and a running game. Schaub is like the Marino in these guys (I'm not saying he's as good as Marino) -- Schaub doesn't have the Super Bowls but he's better from a statistical standpoint. He's done things passing yardage wise these guys haven't matched.

- Philip Rivers
I think he's horribly over-rated and without the right pieces around him (like Sproles and LT back in the day and a great defense), he's starting to show his weaknesses.

Flacco, Cutler, Stafford, Ryan... these guys are in this group as well. Good players but they've still got to "do it." Schaub is above them because he's been able to do statistically more with less.

The thing is... all of these guys are good enough to win Super Bowls, in my estimation. They just need the right pieces around them and some luck.

Stop it. Schaub is not in Ben or Eli's tier of QBs, nor is he Marino. Stop it.

Air Canada
12-01-2011, 01:43 AM
I think that's a good sign. It means he's concentrating on precision passes and couldn't give #*(^ what his left hand looks like. If he starts letting his tongue hang out too (or something else weird like that), we got a baller on our hands.

http://static.mobile.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1127/nfl_u_yates_cr_576.jpg

He's officially a baller. :smiliedance:

Texn4life
12-01-2011, 01:45 AM
http://static.mobile.espn.go.com/photo/2011/1127/nfl_u_yates_cr_576.jpg

He's officially a baller. :smiliedance:

The Jordan of playfaking....... I like it already!

Air Canada
12-01-2011, 01:54 AM

Wrong... :foottap: He's definitely in the tier with Eli....

Now Ben.... Nope.

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Top 8 for Schaub?

This is where it always gets to be a beauty contest and which guy you like versus which guy someone else likes. But... for me...

These are the definites:
1. Redskins
2. Vikings
3. Buccaneers
4. Cardinals
5. Seahawks
6. Bills
7. Dolphins
8. Jets
9. Browns
10. Titans
11. Jaguars
12. Broncos
13. Rams
14. Chiefs

These are arguable, either in the definte or in the even. Not better than Schaub, though.
1. Niners -- Alex Smith has done well this year but I still don't like him much.
2. Eagles -- I don't think Reid would but I prefer Schaub to Vick or VY.

And that's it.

So about 16. Only 4 teams have a QB who's clearly better than Schaub... as far as I'm concerned. Then you have about 11 teams whose QBs are in the same ballpark and it becomes a beauty contest on those about who you like better and how you judge.

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 02:02 AM

Which part of "I'm not saying he's Marino" didn't you understand?

And Ben and Eli are good QBs. They're not great. They only reason some people consider them elite is because their teams won Super Bowls.

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Thats all fine and dandy for those folks playing fantasy football, but what was our record in those two years? 9-7, 6-10. In my time I've seen prolific numbers from QBs with poor defenses that translate to winning seasons because they put the team on their back and carry them. Schaub hasn't/doesn't do that. Sorry to say. I wish like hell he has, but I'm just being a realist.

And, yet, Marino wasn't able to do it.

Only Elite QBs can win despite their defense and they can't even do it all the time. And no one is putting Schaub into that category because, as you said, he hasn't been able to do that.

But that doesn't mean Schaub isn't a very, very good QB.

You put the right team around him and he can win several Super Bowls.

Just as many that have ended in Schaub throwing an INT or not even producing a drive. And when a game comes down to your special teams having to win the game, that just says the offense didn't do enough during the game to put it away.

I've seen enough of Schaub to know he is a good game manager of the offense. But that will only get you so far. To get where we want to go, we need more of a playmaker at the position. Plain and simple.

That's just BS. A lot of mediocre QBs have "won" SBs. Terry Bradshaw is a great example. He was not that good a player but he still "won" 4 Super Bowls. Trent Dilfer won a SB. The ULTIMATE Game Manager, Bob Griese, won 2 SBs. Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson... all those guys won Super Bowls and they are not elite QBs.

Air Canada
12-01-2011, 02:15 AM
http://k.wigflip.com/kufonPgq/roflbot.jpg

:spin: YATES controlling our FATE.

Air Canada
12-01-2011, 02:35 AM
http://k.wigflip.com/wWQgck7r/roflbot.jpg

kiwitexansfan
12-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Been watching some of the youtube stuff of Yates at North Carolina and like what I see.

Seems to do a good job of throwing the ball to spots that his receivers and backs can run onto the ball in stride.

He looks athletic coming out on bootlegs and when he needs to scramble.

Seems to be able move in the pocket while looking up field and avoid the rush.

Velocity seems ok.

Seems to know when to get rid of the ball rather than take the sack.

I liked what I saw, but I am no expert and these were highlight reels.

It was enough to make me want to see what he can play like come game day.

:fans::fans::fans:

thunderkyss
12-01-2011, 05:48 AM

I'm just glad it's not another 8

Txn_in_Oki
12-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Gonna ride Lucky 13 all the way to the playoffs...

:fans:

Texcore
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Wrong... :foottap: He's definitely in the tier with Eli....

Now Ben.... Nope.

Only some of our fans would ever say that, God bless us. But the rest of the NFL, league, and other fans would just laugh at that statement.

I dare you to prove it to me, objectively, how he is in Eli's tier of Qbs.

Thorn
12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Only some of our fans would ever say that, God bless us. But the rest of the NFL, league, and other fans would just laugh at that statement.

Because Eli doesn't belong in the top tier. When he becomes more consistent, maybe he will. No way does Eli belong in the same group as Brady, Big Ben, and Brees.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Which part of "I'm not saying he's Marino" didn't you understand?

And Ben and Eli are good QBs. They're not great. They only reason some people consider them elite is because their teams won Super Bowls.

Of course I saw that part, but why even mention Schaub in the same breath of Dan Marino. That is trying to say something, without trying to say something.

Ben and Eli have better skill sets than Schaub. Have proven they are more clutch than Schaub. Can get their team into the playoffs. Can win in the playoffs. Oh, and can win a super bowl.

This is a show me what you have done league. And Schaub hasn't shown us anything. He is not clutch. As good as our defense has been playing, it is not the pulverizing defense that leads a team to a SB on its own, like the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Bucs. Other than those years, in this era of football, you need a QB that makes plays on his own, and can lift the team up. Bottom line. If you think otherwise, you are in for serious disappointment. Take the battle red colored glasses off friend, and realize the obvious.

And all of those "mediocare" QBs that you mentioned have one thing in common. They played in a different era of football. A run first era, with less rules for the defense to abide by. Sure, Schaub could of won in those eras with those teams being a game manager. I believe that. But its a different game now.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Because Eli doesn't belong in the top tier. When he becomes more consistent, maybe he will. No way does Eli belong in the same group as Brady, Big Ben, and Brees.

And no way does Schaub belong in Eli's tier. No way whatsoever.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 10:12 AM
This is the way I objectively see it....And in no particular order, just by class IMO

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning(if he comes back healthy obviously)

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.
...and I don't care to rank the rest.

I would take every QB listed above Schaub in a heart beat. This is just a hypothetical, but I would also trade Shaub in a heartbeat for a young talent such as Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Sam Bradford. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

Rey
12-01-2011, 10:16 AM
This is the way I objectively see it....And in no particular order, just by class IMO

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

I would take every QB listed above Schaub in a heart beat. This is just a hypothetical, but I would also trade Shaub in a heartbeat for a young talent such as Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Sam Bradford. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

I was vibing with you all the way til the VY thing....

No way am I taking VY over Schaub unless they are running a 40.

Hervoyel
12-01-2011, 10:40 AM

And no way does Schaub belong in Eli's tier. No way whatsoever.

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

I like the way you have this structured, how you have them grouped and I mostly agree with you but a) I think you have Vick too high (His game is starting to fray around the edges thanks to injuries) and b). I think that it's important to note that guys hit streaks where they go up or down between your "top-tier/non elite" and "2nd tier" groups.

Cutler, Stafford, and Schaub have all had stretches where they played like they belonged in the top tier/non-elite group and just about every one of the guys you listed as top tier/non-elite has gone through streaks where they were clearly playing like 2nd tier QB's. Rivers right now is in a hell of a funk for instance.

What makes those two guys in your HOF group special is that they almost never have those games and right at this moment Brees and Rodgers are playing like they belong in the HOF group. The only question is whether it lasts weeks, or years.

We rank them all the time using a myriad of different criteria but they don't stay in one group or the other always. Guys are on the way up and on the way down all the time.

Hervoyel
12-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I was vibing with you all the way til the VY thing....

No way am I taking VY over Schaub unless they are running a 40.

Yeah, the Vince Young thing is kind of weird. There's no way on earth I'd take that head case over pretty much anybody on this list.

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Of course I saw that part, but why even mention Schaub in the same breath of Dan Marino. That is trying to say something, without trying to say something.

No. I was saying EXACTLY what I meant. I wasn't implying anything by using Marino's name and specifically said so. Marino is considered an elite QB because he had great stats. He never won a Super Bowl.

Schaub is not in that class but LIKE MARINO and Philip Rivers, he's put up some great stats. If Peyton Manning hadn't won that SB, he'd be in that Marino class.

You're creating a straw man argument by reading something into a statement that was not said and not implied and specifically ruled out.

Ben and Eli have better skill sets than Schaub. Have proven they are more clutch than Schaub. Can get their team into the playoffs. Can win in the playoffs. Oh, and can win a super bowl.

This is a show me what you have done league. And Schaub hasn't shown us anything. He is not clutch. As good as our defense has been playing, it is not the pulverizing defense that leads a team to a SB on its own, like the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Bucs. Other than those years, in this era of football, you need a QB that makes plays on his own, and can lift the team up. Bottom line. If you think otherwise, you are in for serious disappointment. Take the battle red colored glasses off friend, and realize the obvious.

And all of those "mediocare" QBs that you mentioned have one thing in common. They played in a different era of football. A run first era, with less rules for the defense to abide by. Sure, Schaub could of won in those eras with those teams being a game manager. I believe that. But its a different game now.

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are not different eras. Hell, with a play or two different, Jake Delhomme could have won a Super Bowl. The Jets were able to carry Mark Sanchez to some playoff wins because the TEAM was that good and how did they do it? Good running game and strong defense.

With Schaub, we would have gone into the playoffs with a strong running game, a good defense, and a better passing game than the Jets could even dream of.

This is a team game and as people say over and over, the QB position gets too much credit for wins and too much credit for losses. And you're one of the people giving the position too much credit.

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub
Phillip Rivers

2nd Tier
Matt Ryan
Mike Vick
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Tony Romo

3rd Tier
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez

As I said in another post. It's a beauty contest. I've re-arranged this list to the way I see it. I consider Mark Sanchez bad. I would not take a young QB like a Dalton or a Newton (and especially not a Bradford) over Schaub at this point if I wanted to win this season.

There are only 4 QBs I consider clearly better than Schaub. For guys like Eli and Ben, there are some days they're better and some days when Schaub is better.

thunderkyss
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM

I think your manlove is showing.

ThaJokaa
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

U lost all credibility there...

Texcore
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
You're creating a straw man argument by reading something into a statement that was not said and not implied and specifically ruled

This is a team game and as people say over and over, the QB position gets too much credit for wins and too much credit for losses. And you're one of the people giving the position too much credit.

No Im not. See the difference between you and I is that your argument is based on hypotheticals. I deal in reality and the body of work that the QBs have shown, while you rely on self serving statements based on what you think might or could happen.

You give way too much non existent credit to Schaub. He is not a to tier QB. Period. He is with the above average group.

76Texan
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
RT @NickScurfield : #Texans OC Rick Dennison on Yates: "We’re very confident. We did the same thing we do any other Wednesday today." · Twitter · 20 hours ago

The whole playbook?!?

arb729
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/142313048449875969

"Filed to ESPN: Vikings plan to release Donovan McNabb today, according to a league source."

Don't post much and didn't think this deserved it's own thread, but related news nonetheless.

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
RT @NickScurfield : #Texans OC Rick Dennison on Yates: "We’re very confident. We did the same thing we do any other Wednesday today." · Twitter · 20 hours ago

That rocks.

Can't wait to see the kid in action.

We could be about to watch our next franchise quarterback's first start.

Double Barrel
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
No Im not. See the difference between you and I is that your argument is based on hypotheticals. I deal in reality and the body of work that the QBs have shown, while you rely on self serving statements based on what you think might or could happen.

You give way too much non existent credit to Schaub. He is not a to tier QB. Period. He is with the above average group.

lol! Well, your version of reality, of course. Reality is so subjective these days...

Tony Romo is Top Tier?? Dude fumbled a freakin' FG snap to win a game! :um:

TexanFan881
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Good article on the new QB:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31265/can-t-j-yates-be-vince-ferragamo-v-2-0

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Yes, you are creating a straw man argument. You're saying that by mentioning Marino, I'm saying Schaub is as good as he is. That's not what I did. That's a classic straw man argument: creating things that someone didn't say so you can argue against it. That's just dishonest.

In your reality, Quarterbacks who win Superbowls are better quarterbacks than those who don't. And that is wrong. Quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls, teams do. That was true in the 70's and it's still true today.

False Start
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31265/can-t-j-yates-be-vince-ferragamo-v-2-0

Good read man, thanks. :handshake:

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
lol! Well, your version of reality, of course. Reality is so subjective these days...

Yeah, if you rank QBs by Clutchness, Romo's not anywhere near the top.

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Very cool. I'm old enough to remember Vince Ferragamo and I never knew he was forced into action that late in a season like that. Thanks for posting the article.

EVOLVIST
12-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I know there's been a lot talk about Yates already, but this should have had it's own thread. Rep Up!
The presumption is doom.

No team with a third-string quarterback at the helm, a rookie, no less, is going anywhere.

But T.J. Yates and the Houston Texans will set about trying to disprove that theory starting Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons at Reliant Stadium

The Texans have lost Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart for the season in consecutive games. Now a team with the NFL’s top defense and third-ranked rush offense moves forward with Yates.

In a year when Cam Newton, Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder have played well as full-time rookies and Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker were top draft picks, Yates was the eighth quarterback selected and the 152nd player drafted.

He worked as the third quarterback until Schaub’s injury, not dressing for games and running the scout team in practices.

Plugging him in as the lead guy is hardly something the Texans envisioned, and hardly the sort of thing seen around the league.

One team that experienced similar circumstances was the 1979 Los Angeles Rams.

After losing Pat Haden to injury in Week 10 that season and then getting an ineffective start from Jeff Rutledge in a Week 11 loss tot the Chicago Bears, the Rams turned over the starting job to Vince Ferragamo, then a third-year pro who had never started an NFL game before.

Ferragamo posted a 4-1 record over the remainder of the regular season as the Rams won the NFC West. They then beat the Cowboys in Dallas and the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay in the NFC playoffs before they fell to the Steelers, 31-19, in Super Bowl XIV.

Someone asked Yates, who was born in 1987, if he knew who Ferragamo was. He said no. Relayed Ferragamo's story, he said simply, "sweet."

Can Yates do anything similar?

Schaub thinks the rookie is equipped to succeed.

“The one thing that I’ve observed, I’ve been in this type of offense now … all the way back into my college days. T.J., for being a rookie, he’s probably picked this offense up to the point where he can function in it well, faster than anyone I’ve seen, including myself, including a lot of players that I’ve been around,” Schaub told KILT radio in Houston this week. “That’s a big credit to him, because this is not an easy offense to pick up. … I, personally, have a ton of confidence that he’s going to go in there and play very well.”

It’s not just the understanding, though. Right tackle Eric Winston said Yates is the most athletic of the Texans’ top three quarterbacks. Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. likes Yates’ arm: “He throws the ball quite well and should be able to get the ball to where it needs to be.” And everyone is talking about the youngester's calm, a key quarterback quality.

The Texans regard themselves as having supreme resolve, and they should. Their top players on offense have missed time -- receiver Andre Johnson was out six games with a hamstring injury and running back Arian Foster missed two and hardly played in one with a hamstring injury -- and outside linebacker Mario Williams was lost for the season with a torn pectoral muscle suffered Oct. 19 against Oakland.

Kansas City probably didn’t come into the season with as much talent as the Texans. But the Chiefs won their division and appeared in the playoffs last season. This season they’ve lost safety Eric Berry, tight end Tony Moeaki, running back Jamaal Charles and quarterback Matt Cassel for the season along the way in their follow-up year.

They are 4-7, tied with San Diego at the bottom of the AFC West.

Houston’s had far better results overcoming injuries.

The mantra is how it’s about the team.

“They know how big the challenge is this weekend, but [they are a] very upbeat group, very positive group,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “… It’s a new world for [Yates]. Last week, he’s getting more reps because he’s the backup. All of a sudden, he’s running the team [Wednesday] and got a lot on his plate, mentally from leaving the classroom to coming out here, but he did fine. He’ll get better every day out here, and that’s the most important thing. The key is everybody else making sure they do their job.”

Said Yates: “Everybody around me is very confident. You can tell this team hasn’t really skipped a beat as far as intensity or tempo at practice. Nothing seems different except for it’s just a different guy at quarterback.”

Atlanta is the toughest team the Texans will have faced in some time. It’s a game they could have lost even with Schaub healthy. If they lose it with Yates it will hardly be a season-killer.

They simply need to see he can manage the game, maintain the calm they’ve lauded, and can make enough throws to make a defense either stay honest or pay the price for loading up the box with an eighth defender to slow Foster and Ben Tate.

If Yates does that, he can be enough.

If he does that, the Texans will have a chance to make us talk more about how he and the Texans can compare to Ferragamo and those Rams.

I'll take this a step further: Guess which team Ferragamo got his first NFL start against? Don't worry; don't guess. It was the Atlanta Falcons.

Vince went 9-22, 171 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT for the win.

The 3rd stringer took his team to the Super Bowl!

But that's not all, sport's fans: the next year, 1980, Vince Ferragamo threw for 3199 yards, 30 TDs and 19 Ints.

Ferragamo was a 4th round draft pick (91st overall) in 1977. He currently lives on Peleliu, in the Palau Island chain.

http://vinceferragamo.com/

Texcore
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, you are creating a straw man argument. You're saying that by mentioning Marino, I'm saying Schaub is as good as he is. That's not what I did. That's a classic straw man argument: creating things that someone didn't say so you can argue against it. That's just dishonest.

In your reality, Quarterbacks who win Superbowls are better quarterbacks than those who don't. And that is wrong. Quarterbacks don't win Super Bowls, teams do. That was true in the 70's and it's still true today.

Again, you are just using self serving statements to try and prove your point.

Never did I say winning a Super Bowl automatically makes you a better QB than everybody else. Where did I say that? I'd challenge you to show me where I said that, but you can't because I never said that. (And you are accuse me of creating a straw man argument, lol). However winning a Superbowl does add to a QBs reputation, especially in this day and age. And yes, a QB is the most important part of the equation in winning a Superbowl. Unless you have those rare years where a defense can do it like the aforementioned Bears, Ravens, and Bucs did. That is the only time a game manager can win a Super Bowl.

What I said, and I'll repeat it again so that maybe it can stick this time, is that good QBs have their teams in playoff contention year in and year out. They have an "IT" factor. They win division titles. They get into the playoffs. Sometimes they have to lift their team up and win a game on their own. They are play makers. They win playoff games. They consistently put up stats. They pass the eye test.... And some of them win Super Bowls.

Kaiser Toro
12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
This is a sign from Tebow. Between 1979-1982 I collected every NFL trading card for that specific year, only Vince Ferragamo shared my birth date amongst all players.

Championship!

drs23
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Never did I say winning a Super Bowl automatically makes you a better QB than everybody else. Where did I say that? I'd challenge you to show me where I said that, but you can't because I never said that. (And you are accuse me of creating a straw man argument, lol). However winning a Superbowl does add to a QBs reputation, especially in this day and age. And yes, a QB is the most important part of the equation in winning a Superbowl. Unless you have those rare years where a defense can do it like the aforementioned Bears, Ravens, and Bucs did. That is the only time a game manager can win a Super Bowl.
What I said, and I'll repeat it again so that maybe it can stick this time, is that good QBs have their teams in playoff contention year in and year out. They have an "IT" factor. They win division titles. They get into the playoffs. Sometimes they have to lift their team up and win a game on their own. They are play makers. They win playoff games. They consistently put up stats. They pass the eye test.... And some of them win Super Bowls.

Didn't look it up, sorry. Were any of these teams, say, the #1 defense in the NFL or close to it when they pulled this feat?

Jus axin.

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Here's what you said earlier...

From that and the fact that everyone who has won a Super Bowl and is still playing is in your Elite class led me to believe that you had SB has one of your main criteria.

Eli's and Roethlisberger's stats are not as impressive as Schaub's.

3 of the last 4 years, the Texans have been in playoff contention late into December. Last year, we should have been except for an epically bad defense. Schaub has consistently put up stats.

You don't like him, fine. But you can't say he's not a good QB.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Many of us Texans fans don't like it, but Romo is a better QB than Schaub. Period. Romo not only has better stats that Schaub, but has lead his team to division titles, playoff appearances, and has won games on with his own ability. All criteria Schaub has never met. I wish Schaub had some Romo in him.

And not just Tony, but Big Ben, Eli, Rivers,Vick, etc. They, along with the elite, and other QBs I mentioned previously are all better than Schaub and have done more to stake their reputations in the league.

To say Schaub is better than the QBs mentioned above, is just being a Matt Schaub fan boy and/or nut hugger.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Here's what you said earlier...

From that and the fact that everyone who has won a Super Bowl and is still playing is in your Elite class led me to believe that you had SB has one of your main criteria.

Eli's and Roethlisberger's stats are not as impressive as Schaub's.

3 of the last 4 years, the Texans have been in playoff contention late into December. Last year, we should have been except for an epically bad defense. Schaub has consistently put up stats.

You don't like him, fine. But you can't say he's not a good QB.

Again, where did I say winning a Super Bowl automatically makes you a better QB? You still haven't shown me...try again...

Eli and Ben have won games on their own. They have show the entire NFL their clutchness before. They've shown it to YOU.

Schaub is a good QB. He's good at game managing. But sadly, he won't take us where we want to go. His intangibles are severely lacking.

Had Schaub of been the type of QB Ben and Eli are, then we would of gotten into the playoffs those years. But he's not and we didn't.

Kaiser Toro
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I am not a Schaub fan boy, but I'll take him over Romo any day.

I was a Cowboys fan for three decades, and Jerry's boy toy is nothing but a ribbed gunslinger with a pellet gun in his holster.

Double Barrel
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Many of us Texans fans don't like it,

Well, first of all, I did not realize that you were a Texans fan with your picture and all. I figured you as a Tits fan or at the least, living in the past.

But, to each his/her own and all that jazz.

Many of us Texans fans don't like it, but Romo is a better QB than Schaub. Period. Romo not only has better stats that Schaub, but has lead his team to division titles, playoff appearances, and has won games on with his own ability. All criteria Schaub has never met. I wish Schaub had some Romo in him.

And not just Tony, but Big Ben, Eli, Rivers,Vick, etc. They, along with the elite, and other QBs I mentioned previously are all better than Schaub and have done more to stake their reputations in the league.

To say Schaub is better than the QBs mentioned above, is just being a Matt Schaub fan boy and/or nut hugger.

Secondly, this is certainly a straw man argument. I never even implied that Romo was better/worse than Schaub.

I just disagree with your take that Romo is a "Top Tier" QB. Not based on my own bias against the Cowboys, but based on his history of epic chokes.

So you are free to continue to dilute your argument with needless fanboy/nut hugger jabs, because it appears more Don Quixote than a solid unbiased analysis on your part.

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I wish Schaub had some Romo in him.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt340/hookemfanatic/thatswhatshesaid.gif

Texcore
12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, first of all, I did not realize that you were a Texans fan with your picture and all. I figured you as a Tits fan or at the least, living in the past.

But, to each his/her own and all that jazz.

Secondly, this is certainly a straw man argument. I never even implied that Romo was better/worse than Schaub.

I just disagree with your take that Romo is a "Top Tier" QB. Not based on my own bias against the Cowboys, but based on his history of epic chokes.

So you are free to continue to dilute your argument with needless fanboy/nut hugger jabs, because it appears more Don Quixote than a solid unbiased analysis on your part.

Texan fan through and through buddy, since the day it was announced that we got an expansion franchise, before we even had our name. And I was an Oilers fan way before. Just paying homage to our old team. NOT a Titans fan at all. One of the saddest and most angry days of my life was when that piece of **** Bud Adams announced he was moving the team. I still consider the Oilers as part of our Houston football history, and all Texan fans should too....

What you want to pick out 3 or 4 games in which Romo threw an INT and subsequently lost the game? Go ahead then. But news flash. Every QB has lost games on turnovers, including our very own and "precious" Matt Schaub. You know our history, I don't have to rehash it. But Romo has won far more for his team than he has lost and is a play maker with stats, division wins and playoff appearances. I have Romo with Vick and Rivers, right below Eli and Ben. I'm just giving an honest assessment. Didn't say you had to like it.

Texcore
12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt340/hookemfanatic/thatswhatshesaid.gif

lol. I can appreciate good humor like this.

Double Barrel
12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Texan fan through and through buddy, since the day it was announced that we got an expansion franchise, before we even had our name. And I was an Oilers fan way before. Just paying homage to our old team. NOT a Titans fan at all. One of the saddest and most angry days of my life was when that piece of **** Bud Adams announced he was moving the team. I still consider the Oilers as part of our Houston football history, and all Texan fans should too....

'eh, I acknowledge my ***** ex-wife in my history but I don't keep pictures of her around... :winky:

That team is dead to me. The memories are alive, but those are of players and experiences. The franchise, though, is gone and cannot be extracted from the one you purport to hate.

You do realize that the Titans sport that logo these days, yeah?

http://florafling.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e210c53ef0120a5a5ff8e970b-800wi

So please excuse my confusion. It's tough to tell a Texans fan hiding behind a dead team or retro logo.

Hey, splitting hairs. We can agree to disagree, "buddy".

What you want to pick out 3 or 4 games in which Romo threw an INT and subsequently lost the game? Go ahead then. But news flash. Every QB has lost games on turnovers, including our very own and "precious" Matt Schaub. You know our history, I don't have to rehash it. But Romo has won far more for his team than he has lost and is a play maker with stats, division wins and playoff appearances. I have Romo with Vick and Rivers, right below Eli and Ben. I'm just giving an honest assessment. Didn't say you had to like it.

I could care less about agreeing/disagreeing with you or liking/disliking your opinions.

When you quantify your own character with fanboy/nut hugger blasts when someone disagrees with your opinions, though, expect to be held accountable to your own low standards. Many folks consider that to be the very definition of trolling.

Interesting of your claim to be a Texans fan but continue to belittle our starting QB. But whatever floats your "precious" boat.

thunderkyss
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I know there's been a lot talk about Yates already, but this should have had it's own thread.

Thank you for not starting another thread, & I'm glad he didn't either.

thunderkyss
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM

This doesn't sound like Romo.

Has Romo ever done it with the 30th rank defense? or without a running game? With a rookie HC?

I like Romo. I don't think he's better than Schaub. I don't think Schaub is better than Romo.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 07:29 PM

I think you forgot the botched "hold".

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41577_21074131008_416106_n.jpg

But what do I know? I'm new around here. :cool:

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Has Romo ever done it with the 30th rank defense? or without a running game? With a rookie HC?

Ummmm, :thinking: No.

EVOLVIST
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank you for not starting another thread, & I'm glad he didn't either.

Haha. Yeah, I know. It's nice to have everything consolidated into one thread. I mean, around 3pm (maybe before) next Sunday, I'm sure this board will be sporting some "Yates Sucks" threads or there will be some blowing of the mighty trumpets threads.

Either way, this one won't be the last.

P.S. The only good thing to come out of Tennesee was Alvin York and Sun Records. Otherwise, the Titans can smoke my cork.

Thorn
12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I think you forgot the botched "hold".

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41577_21074131008_416106_n.jpg

But what do I know? I'm new around here. :cool:

Newbies. I guess ya just gotta put up with 'em. :neener:

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Newbies. I guess ya just gotta put up with 'em. :neener:

CAREFUL Thorn!! You might get a negative rep. from Scooter:

not a fan of the newbie crack bud.

:rolleyes:

Thorn
12-01-2011, 08:19 PM
neg rep....meh

got it before on this board, I'm sure I'll get it again. LOL

Texcore
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
'eh, I acknowledge my ***** ex-wife in my history but I don't keep pictures of her around... :winky:

That team is dead to me. The memories are alive, but those are of players and experiences. The franchise, though, is gone and cannot be extracted from the one you purport to hate.

You do realize that the Titans sport that logo these days, yeah?

http://florafling.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e210c53ef0120a5a5ff8e970b-800wi

So please excuse my confusion. It's tough to tell a Texans fan hiding behind a dead team or retro logo.

Hey, splitting hairs. We can agree to disagree, "buddy".

I could care less about agreeing/disagreeing with you or liking/disliking your opinions.

When you quantify your own character with fanboy/nut hugger blasts when someone disagrees with your opinions, though, expect to be held accountable to your own low standards. Many folks consider that to be the very definition of trolling.

Interesting of your claim to be a Texans fan but continue to belittle our starting QB. But whatever floats your "precious" boat.

Having a different opinion is trolling now? Then by your standards you are a troll yourself and contradiction. The Oilers are a part of my childhood. The Texans are a part of my adulthood. Houston NFL football is a part of me and I will not let go of past memories or future memories the Texans will give me. I can hold on to those memories unlike you being able to hold on to a woman.

This is my team and reserve the right to criticize any part of our organization I don't like. Schaub will never get us where we need to go. He finally lost me when he threw the game against the Raiders away with that awful pick. I've seen too much of his body of work to know what he is. And I will not be prisoner of wishful thinking

If you could care less about what I think, why do you let what I say get into your head, leading you to fill your replies with bluster. That doesn't make sense. You don't make sense.

Air Canada
12-01-2011, 08:32 PM

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

You can stop now... We get it...

You've lost all potential credibility. :lion:

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
neg rep....meh

Right!! I hear ya brother! Whatever, LOL!!!

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

This qualifies for the most, absolutely dumbest, most ignorant and uninformed statement/posts ever on this message board (even rivalrying "Hulk75's" posts).

Oh, I forgot, ALL "Six" does is win!! :gun:

stingray
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

One of the dumbest things I have ever read on the internet.

ThaJokaa
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Motion to ban the troll...

Air Canada
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
This qualifies for the most, absolutely dumbest, most ignorant and uninformed statement/posts ever on this message board (even rivalrying "Hulk75's" posts).

Oh, I forgot, ALL "Six" does is win!! :gun:

:ahhaha:

DX-TEX
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Here is an article from a blog at the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/t-j-yates-makes-1248312.html

Nice write up. yates says all the right things....comes off kind of Tom Brady"ish" with his answers. Just sayin...and prayin.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
:ahhaha:

Thank YOU!! for understanding!! Rep. coming your way!!!!

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
When was the last time Schaub had stats that looked like this?

10 for 20, for 130, 6.5 yards per completion, 2 picks, and a QB rating of 31.3

Yes, that's 31.3.

Those are VY's stats as of this moment in his game against that juggernaut 4-7 Seahawk team.

EDIT:

Final stats--

17 for 29, for 208 yards, 7.2 per completion, 1 touchdown, 4 picks (including a pick 6) , 52.7 rating

Texan_Bill
12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
VY Rocks! "All he does is win"!!!!

*punches myself in the junk*

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
And he just threw a pick 6 to ice the game for the Seahawks.

Yep. I'd take him over Schaub....

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
4 picks now.

thunderkyss
12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I hope TJ has a good game.

Corrosion
12-01-2011, 10:14 PM
. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

Johnsonfan is that you ?!? :strangle:

The Pencil Neck
12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
neg rep....meh

How come YOU get the neg reps?

:foottap:

TexansFanatic
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM

He will.

Texcore
12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
When was the last time Schaub had stats that looked like this?

10 for 20, for 130, 6.5 yards per completion, 2 picks, and a QB rating of 31.3

Yes, that's 31.3.

Those are VY's stats as of this moment in his game against that juggernaut 4-7 Seahawk team.

EDIT:

Final stats--

17 for 29, for 208 yards, 7.2 per completion, 1 touchdown, 4 picks (including a pick 6) , 52.7 rating

Yeah, that blew up in my face!. I'll gladly take my licks for that one. I obviously got carried away, lol. He played horribly yesterday. I still think he would fit well here, but after yesterday I have to concede to those who think otherwise.

Texcore
12-02-2011, 10:12 AM

He will. A new era begins....

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
This will be the most nervous/excited I've been in a long time. I hope my initial gut feeling about the kid is right. If it is than we are about to witness something very special.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 10:55 AM

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

How did those 4 picks work out last night??? Pathetic.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 10:56 AM
This will be the most nervous/excited I've been in a long time. I hope my initial gut feeling about the kid is right. If it is than we are about to witness something very special.

^^^^ This is me as well.

Double Barrel
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Having a different opinion is trolling now?

Of course not. Don't be obtuse.

Qualifying any opposition to your opinions with stupid statements below is what makes you a troll:

Then by your standards you are a troll yourself and contradiction.

Get a clue, dude. I don't care if you're here to make friends or not, but you can be sure that continuous name-calling will get you banned.

The Oilers are a part of my childhood. The Texans are a part of my adulthood. Houston NFL football is a part of me and I will not let go of past memories or future memories the Texans will give me.

The Oilers are part of many of our memories. It's common ground for many of us. Nobody advocates forgetting the past, and you're welcome to live in the past if that's your thing, too.

I can hold on to those memories unlike you being able to hold on to a woman.

This statement says more about you than it does me.

You're going to have to do better than that to get under my skin, "buddy".

brakos82
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Johnsonfan is that you ?!? :strangle:

Cockroach! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40890)

Texan_Bill
12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Cockroach! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40890)

:heh:

b0ng
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.

Goodbye credibility.

False Start
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Yeah Vince was shining his ass off last night. :lol:

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Goodbye credibility.

Haha yep, and 4 picks later Vince Young proved him wrong. AGAIN.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that blew up in my face!. I'll gladly take my licks for that one. I obviously got carried away, lol. He played horribly yesterday. I still think he would fit well here, but after yesterday I have to concede to those who think otherwise.

Solid job of owning that.

I'm a Longhorn fan. I was one of the crazed VY fans who desperately wanted the Texans to take Vince over Reggie Bush or Mario.

After nearly six full seasons, it's clear the Texans made the right call and I'm very grateful they didn't listen to me.

Vince was an amazing college quarterback. One could argue he was the best ever.

But, after last night, I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a backup in the NFL.

Air Canada
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMWT5OEWls

Yeah.... I'll go with :fingergun: Schaub.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Last night I was at a bar and this one guy we were talking to threw a huge tantrum when we told him that we weren't confident in TJ Yates. I've seen some homers before, but this guy took the cake. We were discussing other available guys that we'd like to have, and boy did this guy get heated at the fact that we didn't think some 5th round rookie was capable of taking us to the promised land. He talked as if TJ Yates was the most highly sought after QB of all time coming into the league. He even went on and on about how Yates won the game for the Texans last weekend and couldn't fathom the premise that the defense won it for the Texans along with the running game. It was some funny stuff watching this guy go ape **** over TJ Yates.

EVOLVIST
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I thought this was some great insight about Yates from AJ today. There goes the "noodle arm" theory. I also think it's pretty interesting that Yates has not had a media interview since Weds. I'm sure Kubes put the kibbosh on that.

(on how QB T.J. Yates’s arm is) “He throws the ball, he has a little bit more zip on it. I’ve been able to catch some balls from him when I was injured or whatever. It’s a little different, but at the same time, that’s what practice is for. You see guys catching balls from him during practice when the defense are doing drills and stuff like that. We’re ready to go. We had a good week. I’m pretty sure the stadium will be rocking Sunday and we’ll be ready to play.”

(on if he has confidence that QB T.J. Yates can make any throw) “Yeah, he has a strong arm. He can throw the ball. Like I said, he’s fine. We have to get ourselves ready. Like I said, we can’t all just be worried about T.J.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Friday-practice/fbbd1a1b-9544-4c0e-8dc4-b0f82e3ba689

TexansFanatic
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Last night I was at a bar and this one guy we were talking to threw a huge tantrum when we told him that we weren't confident in TJ Yates. I've seen some homers before, but this guy took the cake. We were discussing other available guys that we'd like to have, and boy did this guy get heated at the fact that we didn't think some 5th round rookie was capable of taking us to the promised land. He talked as if TJ Yates was the most highly sought after QB of all time coming into the league. He even went on and on about how Yates won the game for the Texans last weekend and couldn't fathom the premise that the defense won it for the Texans along with the running game. It was some funny stuff watching this guy go ape **** over TJ Yates.

Homers can be a real trip.

I like to sprinkle a little reality into my football enthusiasm.

Some folks just don't take to reality.

Double Barrel
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Funny, but I'm not worried about TJ Yates. At least not until he provides me something to worry about.

I think this team is solid and can pick up the slack. IMO, Yates will not need to carry the load. He will be required to makes some throws, of course, and that could get him into trouble like any rookie QB (or any other QB for that matter).

But, with line we have protecting him, the weapons at his disposal, the running game, and that badass defense, I'm not just wringing my hands about this rookie staring week 12 right now.

Perhaps I'm delusional. So be it. But, we have never been 8-3. We have never been the top seed in the AFC. So why ruin this feeling right now with unconfirmed concerns? If he sucks, we can fill up next week with those concerns. If he's solid, then the concerns wasted good vibes this week.

Charlie Palilo had a good philosophy the other day. He said life gives us enough thorns in the bush, so why not smell the occasional rose when it blooms. That's the way I feel right now. Just enjoying the moment and taking it a day at a time.

I can freak out on Monday if warranted. :fingergun:

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Funny, but I'm not worried about TJ Yates. At least not until he provides me something to worry about.

I think this team is solid and can pick up the slack. IMO, Yates will not need to carry the load. He will be required to makes some throws, of course, and that could get him into trouble like any rookie QB (or any other QB for that matter).

But, with line we have protecting him, the weapons at his disposal, the running game, and that badass defense, I'm not just wringing my hands about this rookie staring week 12 right now.

Perhaps I'm delusional. So be it. But, we have never been 8-3. We have never been the top seed in the AFC. So why ruin this feeling right now with unconfirmed concerns? If he sucks, we can fill up next week with those concerns. If he's solid, then the concerns wasted good vibes this week.

Charlie Palilo had a good philosophy the other day. He said life gives us enough thorns in the bush, so why not smell the occasional rose when it blooms. That's the way I feel right now. Just enjoying the moment and taking it a day at a time.

I can freak out on Monday if warranted. :fingergun:

Because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown into the fire, and I don't play the just have faith and confidence just to have it, because it's my team act. Even if I tried, I'd know that deep down I was being fake and forcing optimism into something I didn't believe in. The Texans hopes for a playoff run to the SB are over and I've accepted that. They were pretty much over when Schaub went down and we had Leinart. With Leniart though, I felt pretty good and felt that if he got hot that maybe he could win a playoff game or so, but in no shape or form did I think that he could lead the Texans to a SB this season, but I was excited to see what Leinart could do either way.

With TJ Yates, sorry, but you're setting yourself up for a big let down. He's a rookie that's being thrown to the wolves.

If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me. Now all of a sudden the Texans are 8-3 and people want to feel like there is a chance, well yeah there is always a snowball's chance, but to honestly feel like this TJ Yates kid could go into the playoffs and beat these top AFC teams is not being realistic. Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

You can talk about how great the defense is and the running game and other things, but playoff games are going to be close and in the post season it almost always comes down to what you're QB can do in the clutch and down the stretch. It's not even fair to remotely expect a rookie like TJ Yates to go out there and take this team anywhere.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 04:15 PM

But this guy actually was trying to argue that TJ Yates "won" the game for the Texans last week. Lol!

We kept trying to explain to him that he did nothing and all he got to do was hand the ball off and throw a few short passes, and it was all the defense holding the other team until the 4th quarter was over, and he simply couldn't grasp the whole "game manager" role and what Yates did. He really thought that Yates led this team to victory and put the team on his shoulders.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2011, 04:22 PM
But this guy actually was trying to argue that TJ Yates "won" the game for the Texans last week. Lol!

Freaking hilarious. You could probably put a Texans jersey on Vladmir Putin and that dude would be going off on how Putin's the best QB since Unitas.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Freaking hilarious. You could probably put a Texans jersey on Vladmir Putin and that dude would be going off on how Putin's the best QB since Unitas.

Ah man this guy was going in circles, but he simply couldn't fathom how anyone wasn't certain that Yates was going to tear it up from the jump. The crazy part was that he also kept saying that Matt Schaub sucked, and thought he hadn't ever proven anything on the Texans. So, I'm sitting here asking this guy over and over why he had so much confidence in some unproven rookie that has only thrown like 8 passes in the NFL in one game, but didn't have any confidence in a guy who has thrown for over 4,000 yards for several years now and was a top 10 QB?? NOthing he said made any sense, and the more we'd point out these little things that were obvious, he'd get more upset and start attacking our fan hood. He swore that Yates had Schaub's job from here on out. Lol!

Double Barrel
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown into the fire, and I don't play the just have faith and confidence just to have it, because it's my team act. Even if I tried, I'd know that deep down I was being fake and forcing optimism into something I didn't believe in. The Texans hopes for a playoff run to the SB are over and I've accepted that. They were pretty much over when Schaub went down and we had Leinart. With Leniart though, I felt pretty good and felt that if he got hot that maybe he could win a playoff game or so, but in no shape or form did I think that he could lead the Texans to a SB this season, but I was excited to see what Leinart could do either way.

With TJ Yates, sorry, but you're setting yourself up for a big let down. He's a rookie that's being thrown to the wolves.

If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me. Now all of a sudden the Texans are 8-3 and people want to feel like there is a chance, well yeah there is always a snowball's chance, but to honestly feel like this TJ Yates kid could go into the playoffs and beat these top AFC teams is not being realistic. Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

You can talk about how great the defense is and the running game and other things, but playoff games are going to be close and in the post season it almost always comes down to what you're QB can do in the clutch and down the stretch. It's not even fair to remotely expect a rookie like TJ Yates to go out there and take this team anywhere.

I guess we are different in that I do not maintain the SuperBowl-or-bust mentality.

I don't see optimism as fake, but rather just enjoying the ride.

I just want to see this team in the playoffs for once.

Not that I don't want them to win in the playoffs, but it is a goal right now just to achieve a playoff berth for the first time in franchise history.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now. I see some positive aspects, some negative aspects, but we differ in that I reserve judgment until given something tangible to base judgment on.

I will only be letdown if this team fails to make the playoffs. How they get there and what they do after that are not my focus. I just want to get that monkey off our back of 'never been to the post season'.

And please, do not give me some rant about fans and lowered expectations. We watch the game. We do not play these games. What we think as fans is completely irrelevant to affect the final score.

This stuff is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

infantrycak
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Even the best of the rookies barely ever even make the playoffs much less go to a SB. It doesn't happen and it aint gonna happen.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now.

What DB said. I have no expectations good or bad for Yates. I hope he does well. Acting as if you know how he is going to perform and what the Texans can and can't do is pure assumption.

ThaShark316
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
TJ Yates...

That's my QB.

http://static.bbmp3.com/smilies/sadto.gif

Texcore
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Same sentiments here.

The Pencil Neck
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Of course, I'm hoping that TJ Yates comes out and plays lights out beyond everyone's expectations and carries us to the Super Bowl with his amazing virtuosity.

I'm not really expecting it, though.

I think he's going to play well. I think Kubiak is going to call plays to protect him as much as possible and put him in the best possible situation to shine. But, he's still a rookie. He's going to make mistakes and we're not going to get the same level of play that we got from Schaub.

Defenses are going to tighten down. Our running game isn't going to look as good. We're not going to be the well-oiled machine matriculating the ball down the field and eating up the clock. Arian Foster is going to be blanketed 24/7 all over the field. Defensive Coordinators are going to pull out every exotic blitz and coverage in the playbook and throw it against him.

And because of all of that, our defense's stats are going to take a hit. They're not going to be playing from the lead as much and they're going to be on the field more.

Let's be honest here. We're all riding the high of the longest winning streak in our team's history. But in that period, we've played Jacksonville twice, the Browns, the Buccs, and the Titans. Not exactly a murderer's row.

These next two games are going to be damned tough. We're probably going to lose.

But... dammit... I can't help it. I'm mainlining the koolaide, too. I think Yates is going to come out and OWN the Falcons. I can't help it. I'm a homer.

:texan: :trophy:

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I guess we are different in that I do not maintain the SuperBowl-or-bust mentality.

When did I ever say SB or bust?? I never said anything about expecting to go to the SB. I never even expected to go with Matt Schaub even, because I don't trust Kubiak as a game day coach in a post season atmosphere.

I don't see optimism as fake, but rather just enjoying the ride.

Good for you. We all are, but I'm not expecting this ride to go that far once we make it to the post season, and I won't really be upset about that considering the circumstances.

I just want to see this team in the playoffs for once.

Does this mean just making the playoffs was what the expectations always were?? I'd hope not knowing that we're in year 6 of this regime. I've heard you state otherwise in the past. We have lost two QB's though, so I can understand a "just playoffs" attitude at this point. But I really don't care to hear about it being the first time in franchise history and all of that. Who cares. If you get to the playoffs, you don't get happy just to be there. You go out there expecting to be able to compete and win in the playoffs. This year we simply don't have a quality seasoned QB, and it's just not going to be in the cards for us.

We are also different in that I'm not choosing to expect anything from TJ Yates. I cannot pump him up, but I also cannot tear him down right now. I see some positive aspects, some negative aspects, but we differ in that I reserve judgment until given something tangible to base judgment on.

I'm not tearing him down. I'm just stating the obvious. Yates was no superstar rookie coming into this league in the first place. He was a later round draft pick that just happens to play for the Texans and now has become our starter. Let's be honest if he played for the Titans or some other team like the Vikings, no one in here would have any strong confidence in that team to make a strong run in the playoffs. Who are we kidding here? Stating the obvious isn't tearing Yates down. It's just having low expectations, because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown to the wolves without hardly any experience. Hell, he didn't even get a proper pre season to get acclimated. Some of the best QB's of all time would fail miserably in this situation as rookies even.

I will only be letdown if this team fails to make the playoffs. How they get there and what they do after that are not my focus. I just want to get that monkey off our back of 'never been to the post season'.

The same as me, but only because of our circumstances as I stated before. If we don't make the playoffs I'll be pissed, but I know we will and I'm not worried about that. The only way I'll be ticked at a playoff loss is if Kubiak refuses to let Yates try to win the game and pass the ball around if that's what the offense needs to do to win. If Kubiak just coaches super conservatively and plays not to lose just because we've got a young guy, I'll be angry then, but right now Kubiak has his job in the bag because of all the injuries, so he really has no excuse to be to cautious and has everything on his side to let Yates do what he can do.

And please, do not give me some rant about fans and lowered expectations. We watch the game. We do not play these games. What we think as fans is completely irrelevant to affect the final score.

This stuff is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in this part. I don't know what you're referring to that I said.

Texcore
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Ah man this guy was going in circles, but he simply couldn't fathom how anyone wasn't certain that Yates was going to tear it up from the jump. The crazy part was that he also kept saying that Matt Schaub sucked, and thought he hadn't ever proven anything on the Texans. So, I'm sitting here asking this guy over and over why he had so much confidence in some unproven rookie that has only thrown like 8 passes in the NFL in one game, but didn't have any confidence in a guy who has thrown for over 4,000 yards for several years now and was a top 10 QB?? NOthing he said made any sense, and the more we'd point out these little things that were obvious, he'd get more upset and start attacking our fan hood. He swore that Yates had Schaub's job from here on out. Lol!

Just for the record thread contributors, that wasn't me at that bar, lol. That guy sounds like a trip.

I don't think Schaub sucks. I just think he is above average in terms of quarterbacking in the NFL and not a playmaker.

And I am excited about Yates, and hope he can be are QB here for the next 10 years. I'm not saying he's going to be, but I am saying I'm looking forward to finding out.

steelbtexan
12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I thought this was some great insight about Yates from AJ today. There goes the "noodle arm" theory. I also think it's pretty interesting that Yates has not had a media interview since Weds. I'm sure Kubes put the kibbosh on that.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Friday-practice/fbbd1a1b-9544-4c0e-8dc4-b0f82e3ba689

What would you expect AJ to say? Yates sucks and we're going to lose every game because of him. LOL

BTW, Yates will do fine and the Texans are going to make the playoffs. IMHO

If Yates throws 3 ints in the 1st half. Then expect to see Delhomme in the 2nd half. Either way the Texans are going to be fine.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
TJ Yates...

That's my QB.

Dude, that's hysterical! Well played.

EVOLVIST
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
What would you expect AJ to say? Yates sucks and we're going to lose every game because of him. LOL

Well, no, there's one thing for AJ to give the media what he thinks they want to hear based upon how they are pushing the questions, but there's quite another for AJ to come out, unbidden, and say Yates has "more zip on the ball" - "more" being the operative word, in contrast to who? It could be in contrast to only Lienart, or maybe both Lienart and Schaub...but there is definitely a comparison to another Texans' QB(s).

I'm not trying to pump the Yates sunshine. I simply thought that was an interesting choice of words considering that it appears - from what we've seen - that yes, Yates does have more zip on the ball than we've known from other QBs on the team; and yes, that cuts against the grain of a lot of pre-draft analysis of Yates.

Take it as you will. "Zip" doesn't equal victories - but it would be nice to see a Texans' QB who can throw that sucker on a rope for once.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Just for the record thread contributors, that wasn't me at that bar, lol. That guy sounds like a trip.

I don't think Schaub sucks. I just think he is above average in terms of quarterbacking in the NFL and not a playmaker.

I disagree. Schaub may not be mobile, but he has a pretty accurate arm as a passer and has shown for several years now that he can lead this team and put up a lot of points. He's a poor man's Kurt Warner and I'm alright with that unless there is a better and younger guy that has the potential to be elite.

And I am excited about Yates, and hope he can be are QB here for the next 10 years. I'm not saying he's going to be, but I am saying I'm looking forward to finding out.

I'm not high on Yates at all, and I'm hoping that he'll surprise me, but as far as the future goes I want to look for other options unless Yates kicks ass and takes names.

steelbtexan
12-02-2011, 05:12 PM

I hope homer guy is right.

I've got my doubts

But hopefully Gary will open up the offense and let him play.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
TJ Yates...

That's my QB.

Holy ****, that's hilarious!!! :spit:

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I disagree. Schaub may not be mobile, but he has a pretty accurate arm as a passer and has shown for several years now that he can lead this team and put up a lot of points. He's a poor man's Kurt Warner and I'm alright with that unless there is a better and younger guy that has the potential to be elite.

I'm not high on Yates at all, and I'm hoping that he'll surprise me, but as far as the future goes I want to look for other options unless Yates kicks ass and takes names.

Shouldnt yates be given a fair chance before you write him off ?

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 05:15 PM
What DB said. I have no expectations good or bad for Yates. I hope he does well. Acting as if you know how he is going to perform and what the Texans can and can't do is pure assumption.

Well of course it is, but that assumption is based off of a lot of facts and a lot of history that gives indicators. Whether it will be right or wrong is yet to be seen of course.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Shouldnt yates be given a fair chance before you write him off ?

No one wrote him off, so what are you talking about?

Thorn
12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Yates is our starting QB this Sunday. Period. And Sunday can't get here soon enough so all this bull**** arguing will be over with.

Oh...wait a minute. The arguing will never be over with. For a second there, I forgot where I was. LOL

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 05:18 PM

even first round draft pick rookies need more than a few games before they light it up, more often than not. hell you know what peyton mannings record was as a rookie ???

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
even first round draft pick rookies need more than a few games before they light it up, more often than not. hell you know what peyton mannings record was as a rookie ???

So how do you get that I was writing him off from that?? He is going to get his chance to play with one of the best teams in the league. He's getting "his chance" to show what kind of potential or what kind of ceiling he might possibly have.

Where were you all season long to tell everyone about how great Yates was?? Did you think that he was some sort of Pro Bowler in the making when we drafted him?? He wasn't even on most teams radars as far as being a future starter in this league. He's just a late round pick that was at the bottom of our depth chart and now everyone is excited about this kid because they have no other choice, but that doesn't mean that I'm supposed to feel confident in this kid just because we're stuck with him now as our starter. That's like asking me to feel confident that we'll get really heavy snow in Houston this Winter. Sure, it's possible, but the odds are terrible. You want to ignore odds, then knock yourself out. Don't shoot me in the foot for having lowered expectations on what a 5th round rookie can do that all of a sudden became the most popular player on the Houston Texans over night because two other QB's got hurt.

Double Barrel
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
When did I ever say SB or bust?? I never said anything about expecting to go to the SB. I never even expected to go with Matt Schaub even, because I don't trust Kubiak as a game day coach in a post season atmosphere.

Well, you mentioned Super Bowl in your first paragraph a couple of times, so it appeared your expectations were higher than mine at this point. No desire to paint you in a picture that you were not a part of, though.

Good for you. We all are, but I'm not expecting this ride to go that far once we make it to the post season, and I won't really be upset about that considering the circumstances.

Yeah, it is good for me. I do not live vicariously through my sports team. It's nothing more than entertainment at the end of the day, and my "job" as a fan is to root for the team. I'm just not going to dwell in negative thoughts right now. Not saying you are, but I don't think that being optimistic right now equates to being fake, which is what you seemed to imply.

Does this mean just making the playoffs was what the expectations always were?? I'd hope not knowing that we're in year 6 of this regime. I've heard you state otherwise in the past. We have lost two QB's though, so I can understand a "just playoffs" attitude at this point. But I really don't care to hear about it being the first time in franchise history and all of that. Who cares. If you get to the playoffs, you don't get happy just to be there. You go out there expecting to be able to compete and win in the playoffs. This year we simply don't have a quality seasoned QB, and it's just not going to be in the cards for us.

This is the rant I referred to in my last point. :fingergun:

Some of us do get to be happy just to get to the playoffs. We have not seen a postseason game in almost two decades in this city.

I'm not going to apologize for being happy to finally achieve a goal that has eluded this franchise for a decade.

I'm not tearing him down. I'm just stating the obvious. Yates was no superstar rookie coming into this league in the first place. He was a later round draft pick that just happens to play for the Texans and now has become our starter. Let's be honest if he played for the Titans or some other team like the Vikings, no one in here would have any strong confidence in that team to make a strong run in the playoffs. Who are we kidding here? Stating the obvious isn't tearing Yates down. It's just having low expectations, because he's a 5th round rookie being thrown to the wolves without hardly any experience. Hell, he didn't even get a proper pre season to get acclimated. Some of the best QB's of all time would fail miserably in this situation as rookies even.

My point was that Yates does not have to be a superstar. We have the kind of defense that can win games. Trent Dilfer has a ring because he rode the coattails of a fantastic defense. Brad Johnson, too. Neither of these dudes would ever be confused for superstar QBs. But, they were solid game managers that did not cost their teams games because of mistakes.

Is it really that unrealistic to hope that Yates can at least be as competent as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

I'm not sure what you're getting at in this part. I don't know what you're referring to that I said.

It was not referring to what you said, but what you might say...which you did in this post. :spin:

brakos82
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Yates is our starting QB this Sunday. Period. And Sunday can't get here soon enough so all this bull**** arguing will be over with.

Oh...wait a minute. The arguing will never be over with. For a second there, I forgot where I was. LOL

Kiss my ass ya damn cockroach! LOL

EllisUnit
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
So how do you get that I was writing him off from that?? He is going to get his chance to play with one of the best teams in the league. He's getting "his chance" to show what kind of potential or what kind of ceiling he might possibly have.

Where were you all season long to tell everyone about how great Yates was?? Did you think that he was some sort of Pro Bowler in the making when we drafted him?? He wasn't even on most teams radars as far as being a future starter in this league. He's just a late round pick that was at the bottom of our depth chart and now everyone is excited about this kid because they have no other choice, but that doesn't mean that I'm supposed to feel confident in this kid just because we're stuck with him now as our starter. That's like asking me to feel confident that we'll get really heavy snow in Houston this Winter. Sure, it's possible, but the odds are terrible. You want to ignore odds, then knock yourself out. Don't shoot me in the foot for having lowered expectations on what a 5th round rookie can do that all of a sudden became the most popular player on the Houston Texans over night because two other QB's got hurt.

First off why would i, i like Schaub and think he is our starter, AND if you noticed as soon as Schaub went down i started a thread saying Leinart or yates, in which i clearly state that i wanted yates over Leinart.

But you dont change a tire if it isnt flat, so why would i want yates in there over Schaub, when he had us winning and everyone knows i am a Schaub Supporter. My whole point is it will be unfair to judge Yates when he gets only 5 1/2 games to prove himself.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
If I told you that TJ Yates would have to be the guy that takes this team to the SB before the season you'd have laughed at me.

If you'd have told me that Duane Brown had not given up a sack all season, that we'll be 4-2 without Andre, have a 5 game win streak, lead the AFC after 11 weeks, be a top 10 offense without Andre, that we'd have the #1 defense, & 2 players likely to end with double digit sacks I'd have laughed my ass off.

I'm not saying that TJ Yates is going to take us to the Super Bowl, I'm not one of those guys. But he'll be on the team.

Championship

gary
12-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the Texans will still make the playoffs and while Super Bowl chances are now very slim and I don't expect one nothing is impossible though. Whether Yates is the QB or Jake I really hope Kubiak just lets them play because at this point there is not anything to lose.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
My point was that Yates does not have to be a superstar. We have the kind of defense that can win games. Trent Dilfer has a ring because he rode the coattails of a fantastic defense. Brad Johnson, too. Neither of these dudes would ever be confused for superstar QBs. But, they were solid game managers that did not cost their teams games because of mistakes.

Is it really that unrealistic to hope that Yates can at least be as competent as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

These Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson examples have got to stop, because they've gotten out of hand. Those aren't strong examples, because they aren't normal by any stretch. Those are exceptions where two below average QB's won a SB because Dilfer played on a team that had the best defense of all time and Johnson played on a team that had like the 3rd best defense of all time in the Bucs who were just like a hair below the Ravens defense from two years before them. Unless you feel like the Texans have one of the best defenses of all time, than maybe I'm wasting my breath here, but even if that were the case I still wouldn't feel confident with a rookie, because he's a rookie and he wasn't even a high prospect at that. Do you think that Simmons or Zabransky would have been able to lead this current Texans team to a SB when they were rookies here, because those are similar comparisons to what Yates is talent wise considering where he was drafted and what expectations were? Johnson and Dilfer were both long term vets that understood their role very well. I love this Texans defense and they are a great defense but we're not dealing with a defense like the 01 Ravens.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 06:41 PM
My whole point is it will be unfair to judge Yates when he gets only 5 1/2 games to prove himself.

He was never a high prospect in the first place, and unless you were all over the guy and thinking he was some great QB in the making when he was drafted, then I fail to see why you're so upset over this. You can have optimism in a 5th round rookie all you want, and you're always saying that every Texans player is better than everyone else any way, so that's no surprise. I don't really care to keep explaining this to you, because you aren't understanding. I don't have to be optimistic or confident in Yates at all to still root for the guy. What is so freaking hard for you to understand?? Do you wake up in the morning and feel confident that you'll win the lotto?? I don't, but that doesn't mean that I won't hope that I do if I buy a ticket and root for my chances. I don't have any faith in a 5th round rookie that wasn't ever going to be a starter here most likely in the first place. He's being thrown in there, so I'll root for him and hope for the best, but I won't force myself to feel something just for the sake of having faith.

Thorn
12-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Yates throws for 700 yards, five TDs, and runs in 6 more TDs in one game. We win the next six super bowls in a roll with Yates. Pass the water pipe and beer my friends, we are done with the NFL.

drs23
12-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Or TB will wanna punch him in his junk. :D

Double Barrel
12-02-2011, 07:46 PM
These Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson examples have got to stop, because they've gotten out of hand.

Then put me on ignore. :smooch:

I think we have something that the Bucs and Ravens did not. Not only do we have a top rated defense, but we've got Andre Johnson, two elite RBs, and an offensive line widely considered one of the best in the NFL. Not to mention some great TEs and other solid targets.

Look, I'm not predicting anything for Yates. Dude is a rookie put in a high pressure situation. But, if decades of watching the NFL is not something that we can draw inspiration and hope from to discuss, what is the point of even having these conversations?

drs23
12-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Tex, I wasn't in Houston last night so it wasn't me. I may be wrong to the 9th degree but something about this "kid" says he's just got *it*. I know what I saw when he took over the 2 minute drill. When he went into the huddle and says "what's up fellas, let's go" says alot to me. The game doesn't sound "too big" for him. Until proven wrong I'm going to be in Yates' corner. I believe he can get it done.

CloakNNNdagger
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
From ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/31265/can-t-j-yates-be-vince-ferragamo-v-2-0):

Plugging him in as the lead guy is hardly something the Texans envisioned, and hardly the sort of thing seen around the league.

After losing Pat Haden to injury in Week 10 that season and then getting an ineffective start from Jeff Rutledge in a Week 11 loss tot the Chicago Bears, the Rams turned over the starting job to Vince Ferragamo, then a third-year pro who had never started an NFL game before.

Ferragamo posted a 4-1 record over the remainder of the regular season as the Rams won the NFC West. They then beat the Cowboys in Dallas and the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay in the NFC playoffs before they fell to the Steelers, 31-19, in Super Bowl XIV.

Someone asked Yates, who was born in 1987, if he knew who Ferragamo was. He said no. Relayed Ferragamo's story, he said simply, "sweet."

Can Yates do anything similar?

Schaub thinks the rookie is equipped to succeed.

“The one thing that I’ve observed, I’ve been in this type of offense now … all the way back into my college days. T.J., for being a rookie, he’s probably picked this offense up to the point where he can function in it well, faster than anyone I’ve seen, including myself, including a lot of players that I’ve been around,” Schaub told KILT radio in Houston this week. “That’s a big credit to him, because this is not an easy offense to pick up. … I, personally, have a ton of confidence that he’s going to go in there and play very well.”

It’s not just the understanding, though. Right tackle Eric Winston said Yates is the most athletic of the Texans’ top three quarterbacks. Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. likes Yates’ arm: “He throws the ball quite well and should be able to get the ball to where it needs to be.” And everyone is talking about the youngester's calm, a key quarterback quality.

The Texans regard themselves as having supreme resolve, and they should. Their top players on offense have missed time -- receiver Andre Johnson was out six games with a hamstring injury and running back Arian Foster missed two and hardly played in one with a hamstring injury -- and outside linebacker Mario Williams was lost for the season with a torn pectoral muscle suffered Oct. 19 against Oakland.

Kansas City probably didn’t come into the season with as much talent as the Texans. But the Chiefs won their division and appeared in the playoffs last season. This season they’ve lost safety Eric Berry, tight end Tony Moeaki, running back Jamaal Charles and quarterback Matt Cassel for the season along the way in their follow-up year.

They are 4-7, tied with San Diego at the bottom of the AFC West.

Houston’s had far better results overcoming injuries.

The mantra is how it’s about the team.

“They know how big the challenge is this weekend, but [they are a] very upbeat group, very positive group,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “… It’s a new world for [Yates]. Last week, he’s getting more reps because he’s the backup. All of a sudden, he’s running the team [Wednesday] and got a lot on his plate, mentally from leaving the classroom to coming out here, but he did fine. He’ll get better every day out here, and that’s the most important thing. The key is everybody else making sure they do their job.”

Said Yates: “Everybody around me is very confident. You can tell this team
hasn’t really skipped a beat as far as intensity or tempo at practice. Nothing seems different except for it’s just a different guy at quarterback.”

Atlanta is the toughest team the Texans will have faced in some time. It’s a game they could have lost even with Schaub healthy. If they lose it with Yates it will hardly be a season-killer.

They simply need to see he can manage the game, maintain the calm they’ve lauded, and can make enough throws to make a defense either stay honest or pay the price for loading up the box with an eighth defender to slow Foster and Ben Tate.

If Yates does that, he can be enough.

If he does that, the Texans will have a chance to make us talk more about how he and the Texans can compare to Ferragamo and those Rams.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
, than maybe I'm wasting my breath here, but even if that were the case I still wouldn't feel confident with a rookie, because he's a rookie and he wasn't even a high prospect at that.

This is a system.. a QB friendly system. It is designed to be easy for QBs to be successful.

A special QB will make this offense special.

We don't need the rookie to be special.

Who the heck is Sage Rosenfels? Nowhere else has their ever been fans wanting Sage Rosenfels to take a meaningful snap for their team. Nowhere, but Houston.

Now, Sage had been in the NFL a lot longer than Yates has by the time he took snaps for this team, but how many meaningful snaps did he take?

Sage also did not have this defense, or this running game.

thunderkyss
12-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Look, I'm not predicting anything for Yates. Dude is a rookie put in a high pressure situation. But, if decades of watching the NFL is not something that we can draw inspiration and hope from to discuss, what is the point of even having these conversations?

Good point.

I quit.

Texecutioner
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Then put me on ignore. :smooch:

I think we have something that the Bucs and Ravens did not. Not only do we have a top rated defense, but we've got Andre Johnson, two elite RBs, and an offensive line widely considered one of the best in the NFL. Not to mention some great TEs and other solid targets.

So all of a sudden you of all people think Yates (Some 5th round kid) is capable of leading this team even though I've never heard you mention confidence in this kid ever until now because he's starting and we're 8-3? You've also belittled Kubiak's coaching for many years now, and all of a sudden you think Kubiak and some 5th round rookie have a great shot??

Of course we can all hope. I'm hoping, but that doesn't stop me from being objective. There is no point of having a conversation if we're not going to try to be objective. Otherwise, we should all just say we think we'll win no matter what and that we're the best team regardless of any circumstances. I'm not going to ignore facts or history just because I have hope. I'd be faking it and it wouldn't be real.

gary
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Hit it everyone we all are doing this right now anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k&feature=related

Grams
12-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Hit it everyone we all are doing this right now anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k&feature=related

The only other thing we can do is cry.

I would much rather believe.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere.

A VIDEO COMPILATION OF ALL OF T J's 1ST GAME PASSING PLAYS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdWTAdvHPww)

Brisco_County
12-03-2011, 02:42 AM

A VIDEO COMPILATION OF ALL OF T J's 1ST GAME PASSING PLAYS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdWTAdvHPww)

I'm loving has fast he gets rid of the ball.

EllisUnit
12-03-2011, 09:08 AM
So all of a sudden you of all people think Yates (Some 5th round kid) is capable of leading this team even though I've never heard you mention confidence in this kid ever until now because he's starting and we're 8-3? You've also belittled Kubiak's coaching for many years now, and all of a sudden you think Kubiak and some 5th round rookie have a great shot??

Of course we can all hope. I'm hoping, but that doesn't stop me from being objective. There is no point of having a conversation if we're not going to try to be objective. Otherwise, we should all just say we think we'll win no matter what and that we're the best team regardless of any circumstances. I'm not going to ignore facts or history just because I have hope. I'd be faking it and it wouldn't be real.

Cant you just let people try to be positive about the kid. When Schaub was healthy why in the hell would we be trying to talk up Yates, especially when Schaub had led us to 7-3 ? That makes no sense.

And you can say what you want but we all saw how well composed T.J looked the last game, yeah he didnt get us many first down or points in the 2nd half, but that is on Kubiak. Cause he even said so himself, no much you can do when O.D is the next QB in line.

And also sometimes things dont go quite as planned, and you get a little surprise, i'm sorry but some of the greatest things in the world were found by mistake. Such as :kitten: Viagra, Artifical Sweetner, the Microwave, :specnatz: LSD ......there is a lot more but i will stop there.

So how come we couldnt accidently find a Diamond in the 5th round, why just because he wasnt a high "Prospect" like vince young, Matt Leinart, David Carr, Joey Herrington, Kyle Orton, Jamarcus Russell. Yeah :wadepalm: we all see how great them HIGH "Prospects" were.

Lucky
12-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Perhaps a more apt comparison would be the 1976 Rams. LA lost their starter, James Harris and backup, Ron Jaworski, during the course of the season. In stepped rookie Pat Haden (a 7th round pick), who rode the leagues #4 defense and rushing attack to a division title.

ChampionTexan
12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Perhaps a more apt comparison would be the 1976 Rams. LA lost their starter, James Harris and backup, Ron Jaworski, during the course of the season. In stepped rookie Pat Haden (a 7th round pick), who rode the leagues #4 defense and rushing attack to a division title.

So now we know that in 35 years, T.J. Yates will be the AD at USC.

Lucky
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
So now we know that in 35 years, T.J. Yates will be the AD at USC.
Probably the AD at UNC.

Double Barrel
12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
This is a system.. a QB friendly system. It is designed to be easy for QBs to be successful.

A special QB will make this offense special.

We don't need the rookie to be special.

Who the heck is Sage Rosenfels? Nowhere else has their ever been fans wanting Sage Rosenfels to take a meaningful snap for their team. Nowhere, but Houston.

Now, Sage had been in the NFL a lot longer than Yates has by the time he took snaps for this team, but how many meaningful snaps did he take?

Sage also did not have this defense, or this running game.

Great post, man. My hope is that this QB-friendly system is something that Yates can manage, and along with our defense, maybe, just maybe, we can score early and our defense can do what they do best: protect a lead with aggression.

C'mon, man. I'm not some Kubiak fanboy. He is what he is and I just hope he's grown as a HC and has advanced to the point that he's not costing us games with bad time management and bonehead calls.

I did not say that I think Yates is capable. I just hope that he's capable. There is a huge difference between knowing and hoping.

"Great shot" is your words. I could be extremely negative about our chances right now. Part of me wonders if 8-8 and missing the playoffs is our destiny, because I've been conditioned by a decade of perpetual mediocrity and I'm a cynic at my core.

Should I just jump off that bridge and use my objective analysis to preach doom? That would be easy to do, as well.

I'm just having fun - right now - as a fan. Hoping against all odds that this is really a different season. Because I could just as easily know that this is typical of our team's history and 8-3 will be the highpoint of the season.

I am trying to be objective, but looking at the potential positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. I'm talking about the potential of our strengths as a team instead of running with the glaringly obvious negative of a rookie QB starting in week 12.

I'm going to suspend my belief in the trend, if even for a moment. I fully understand that tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. I could be snapped back to a reality that our season is effectively over.

I'm not arguing here, but just saying that the sliver of hope available is a life raft to cling to as a fan trying to remain optimistic. Perhaps I should just take off the life vest and sink into the depths...

Good point.

I quit.

Me, too. :cowboy1:

steelbtexan
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
If Yates performs poorly Delhomme will be making SB appearance #2.

How's that for the power of positive thinking?

gary
12-03-2011, 10:54 AM
If this team loses all five games and misses the playoffs and Gary is not fired then I will quite on this team. Even with Yates there should not be any excuses this year. This team should be a wildcard at worst. I don't them having a major let down and losing out.

Perki-Perk
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Texecutioner
, than maybe I'm wasting my breath here, but even if that were the case I still wouldn't feel confident with a rookie, because he's a rookie and he wasn't even a high prospect at that..

Just FYI, Tom Brady was a not very highly touted 6th round pick (I believe) While Ryan Leaf was all the talk coming out of college....

brakos82
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

It took a moment for Carol Yates to understand the significance of what was happening. Motherly instincts tend to take over.

From high atop Jacksonville’s EverBank Field, she watched as Texans quarterback Matt Leinart left the field injured in Sunday’s game against the Jaguars. Her first thoughts were concern for the player’s health and, then, how unfair it was for Leinart, finally getting another chance to start a professional football game.

At the same time, she and her husband, John, noticed his replacement, No. 13, trotting onto the field. It was their son, T.J. Yates, about to make his NFL debut.

“We were stunned to the point we couldn’t speak,” Carol said. “I was thinking ‘He’s not ready. He hasn’t even warmed up.’

“It was the most surprising thing in my whole life, one of my top five moments of my life.”

It was the latest leg in Taylor Jonathan Yates’ remarkable journey from Pope High School to the University of North Carolina and on to the NFL. The odyssey continues Sunday when Yates starts for the Texans against his hometown Falcons.

The 24-year-old rookie has been pressed into a starting role after the Texans lost Matt Schaub (foot) and backup Leinart (broken collarbone) to season-ending injuries in back-to-back weeks. A fifth-round draft pick, Yates was inactive for the first 10 games and moved to the No. 2 spot only after Schaub’s injury. With their son in uniform for the first time and with the proximity of Jacksonville, his parents made the trip to Florida for what they thought would be a relaxing weekend.

“I said to my husband, ‘This is so much fun to come to a game and not freak out and just enjoy it,’” Carol said.

Little did they know.

“Yeah, it’s pretty cool,” Yates said of being thrust into the limelight. “I try not to think too much about it. I’m trying to stay as focused as possible. I’m trying to keep my head out of all the other stuff. It can do nothing but affect my play on the field.”

A year off

Yates’ youth football career started as a third-grader in Indianapolis. The family moved to Cobb County shortly after, and Yates continued to play through his sophomore year at Pope. After a difficult campaign, he took his junior season off to concentrate on basketball.

The 6-foot-4 Yates, who played on the national AAU level, had plans to play Division I basketball. However, he wasn’t attracting offers from top-tiered schools. He accepted the invitation of new Pope coach Bob Swank — after many meetings — to return to football. A chance to play a final season with his friends and a new offensive scheme finally swayed him.

Early in his senior season, North Carolina recruiters attended a game to watch a pair of linebackers on the opposing team. They quickly noticed Yates. He threw five touchdowns and for more than 300 yards in a double-overtime loss.

About a week later, Yates got a call from then-North Carolina coach John Bunting offering him a scholarship. He accepted immediately.

“That was really how good he was,” Swank said of the speed of the recruitment. “T.J. just tore it up. You could see in person he was that good. [After he signed with North Carolina], all of a sudden there was a buzz about him. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar screen because he hadn’t played his junior year.”

Swank had tried to convince the staff at Toledo, where Swank spent the last of his 14 years in the college ranks before coming to Pope, to look at Yates. He told them he was better that Bruce Gradkowski, who played at Toledo and is now in his sixth season in the NFL. Swank said that Maryland and Virginia made offers to Yates once North Carolina recruited him.

Rule changer

Yates played four seasons at North Carolina under Butch Davis, who replaced Bunting. It wasn’t always easy. After a 4-8 campaign as a freshman, Yates led the Tar Heels to three consecutive 8-5 seasons.

His mother recalls that Yates was once booed at a basketball game when he appeared on the scoreboard after his junior season.

Yates threw for 3,418 yards, 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions his senior season. He rallied the Tar Heels to a dramatic comeback 30-27 double overtime victory over Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. The game was highlighted by Yates’ alertly spiking the football with one second remaining in regulation even as the field-goal team attempted to get on the field. After ruling the game over, officials reviewed the play. North Carolina was penalized for too many men on the field, allowing them to kick the game-tying field goal.

This season, the NCAA changed the rule to institute a 10-second runoff as an option if a team commits a penalty that results in a clock stoppage. It is known as the “Dooley Rule” in some circles after Tennessee coach Derek Dooley. It is known as the “T.J. Rule” in other parts.

The play drew praise from North Carolina men’s basketball coach Roy Williams. “I’d take T.J. Yates as a foxhole buddy, because when it was chaos, that young man used his brain, and he’s tough enough to stand in there make throws,’’ Williams said on a radio program. “And I just love him to death.”

Yates, who was named the 2010 Tar Heel of the Year, was one of three recipients of the school’s Patterson Medal for career athletic accomplishment. He will accept the medal in February — at a basketball game.

Yates finished with 9,377 yards and 58 touchdowns. He set more than 40 school records, including every mark for single-season and career pass completions and yards. According to the North Carolina sports-information department, Yates will become the first quarterback from the school to start an NFL game.

Opportunity calls

Yates was drafted in the fifth round by the Texans with the 152nd overall pick. Coach Gary Kubiak said the team had no plans to draft a quarterback, but couldn’t pass on Yates. He spent most of the NFL lockout in Houston working with Schaub and other players informally. As training camp began and the roster trimmed to the final number, the Yates family hung on the hope the Texans would carry three quarterbacks. They did.

Yates waited behind Schaub and Leinart until finally getting his chance Sunday in the final seconds of the first half.

Yates finished 8-of-15 for 70 yards, throwing only nine passes after halftime, as the Texans won 20-13 to improve to 8-3.

“He’s been forced into a tough role, but that’s what he’s here for,” Kubiak said. “He’s worked extremely hard for his opportunity. ... He’s got a bright future in this league. He can do all the things you ask him to do.”

When Yates got into the game Sunday, it set off a wild reaction back home. When his older brother, David, got phone calls that Yates was in the game, he switched from tracking the game online and raced to eldest brother Evan’s home. When they couldn’t get the game on satellite, they moved on to a restaurant for the final quarter.

“I was freaking out,” David said. “I didn’t expect it to be so exciting.”

John and Carol will make the much longer trip to Houston this week. Perhaps their son can score better tickets this time as a starter. They will want to be lower than five rows from the top of the stadium, as they were in Jacksonville.

“It is a very big opportunity,” Yates said. “It’s hard not to look at it in that way because I never expected to be playing this early in my career, especially under the unfortunate circumstances. Two guys ahead of me going down, you never want to see that happen. You have to take every opportunity you get and run with it.

“I’m trying not to look too much outside the box this week. I’m trying to take it meeting by meeting, practice by practice and game by game — just trying to get better every day.”

Havent seen this anywhere yet.

Perki-Perk
12-03-2011, 11:21 AM

I didn't get to see the game, but seeing this video actually gives me a little more confidence. Yates seems to have good pocket presence. When the pocket collapses, he moves where as Shaub use to irritate me bc he would tuck and crumble more off than not. Too often I saw Shaub just accept a sack when he still had time to attempt to avoid it. I could be being nit picky. Yates moves well also, and seems to know when to get rid of the ball. His passes seem pretty accurate, expecially the one to AJ with 4 defenders.

Dare I say, I'm actually excited about his potential. Already, to me, he looks better than Sage ever did, or the back up we had before sage who's name escapes me for some reason right now.

Sad part is, there has always been some sort of QB controversy among fans. I don't think anyone has ever been completely sold on Shaub. Out of all the jerseys I own, not one of them is a #8 (I gave the HWNWNBM to goodwill some time ago) Yates, I see something different in him and I believe he can prosper in our system.

I guess the point of this post, is all hope is not lost...far from it. Yates could have went in and looked like Ponder or Gabbert or one of the other rookies, but he seems to have more poise...and that is something to put some faith in.

Rey
12-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Havent seen this anywhere yet.

That was an awesome read. Now, I really want to see him succeed. Even more than before.

EVOLVIST
12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
If this team loses all five games and misses the playoffs and Gary is not fired then I will quite on this team. Even with Yates there should not be any excuses this year. This team should be a wildcard at worst. I don't them having a major let down and losing out.

I won't quit on the team, but yeah...

Playoffs or layoffs in 2012

thunderkyss
12-03-2011, 02:50 PM

A wildcard is going to need a minimum of 10 wins this year.

What are you basing your expectations on?

gary
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
A wildcard is going to need a minimum of 10 wins this year.

What are you basing your expectations on?What do you mean? They had just better eek out two more wins somewhere. T.J. is not a reason not to at least make it IMHO.

EVOLVIST
12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Here's another interesting TJ Yates article back in August. I have not seen this one posted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/yates_2.jpg
Note the pinky things again. "Tea Time with TJ." :whistle:

Texans put rookie QB on accelerated learning curve
Under the gun
With Matt Leinhart unable to practice, Texans have put rookie QB T.J. Yates on an accelerated learning curve
CRAIG MALVEAUX
Published 05:30 a.m., Thursday, August 4, 2011

T.J.Yates dropped five steps into the pocket, scanning the field of receivers who cut across the hash marks. Seeing the separation between Terrence Toliver and his defender, Yates adjusted his shoulders and released a crisp pass toward the sideline.

The football, however, was underthrown, allowing cornerback Sherrick McManis to recover and make the interception.

On the next play, Yates fumbled a routine handoff to the running back. The rookie quarterback gathered himself and strung together a series of consecutive completions.

"T.J. has shown some very good signs of short-term memory out there," said quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp. "In this business, every quarterback is going to have some tough times, but you have to fight through them and bounce back, and he's done that so far."

Yates, 24, has been placed in a tough position in camp. There's no time for him to dwell on mistakes. He's too busy processing large volumes of information and taking two-thirds of the snaps thanks to NFL regulations preventing Matt Leinart from practicing until today.

The last three days have been mentally grueling for Yates, who just received the playbook last week. But he isn't complaining.

"I don't even know what day of the week it is," he said with a smile. "I've been extremely lucky to get this many reps as a rookie this early in camp, so I'm taking it one day at a time and working with Coach (Gary) Kubiak and Coach Knapp to get better. It's been awesome."

As expected, the NFL's learning curve — especially at quarterback — is steep for him. Reading the defense, understanding the progressions, improving footwork in the pocket and making smarter decisions with the football are all things Yates is learning daily.

"He's taking two steps forward and a step backward, which we expect because he's going to make mistakes," Knapp said. "But we're seeing good progress. T.J. is a smart kid that has managed a lot of information very well in a short amount of time."

Yates said familiarity has been instrumental in his improvement.

"Half of the verbiage within the offense is the same as North Carolina," he said of his alma mater. "There are a lot of the same concepts so being able to memorize them and the formations has def-initely made the transition a lot easier."

Kubiak praised Yates' growth following Tuesday's practice.

"If you want to pick out a guy that's made the most improvement from practice one to two, it was him," Kubiak said.

Watching starting quarterback Matt Schaub has been helpful.

"I'm learning the little things about how to work cadences and how he kind of approaches things in the huddle," Yates said. "You have to mimic his exact cadence, you have to say the exact same things that he says in the huddle so when you get in the huddle with his guys there's no dropoff."
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-put-rookie-QB-on-accelerated-learning-curve-2079166.php

brakos82
12-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Here's another interesting TJ Yates article back in August. I have not seen this one posted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/EVOLVIST/yates_2.jpg
Note the pinky things again. "Tea Time with TJ." :whistle:

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-put-rookie-QB-on-accelerated-learning-curve-2079166.php
He mad.

Texcore
12-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Of course he has shown he can run the offense, but he has shown me enough to know that he can never lift this franchise up an carry them on his shoulders as play making QBs need to do from time to time, and in the playoffs, like a Warner and others. I've seen him come up short too many times in the regular season, INTs to end games, failed drives, etc. I've never identified the clutch gene in him. And in all honesty, my fear before Schaub went down, was one and done in the playoffs, getting outsted by a more experiened playoff team and playoff veteran QB. Thats how much I lack in faith with him.

drs23
12-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Of course he has shown he can run the offense, but he has shown me enough to know that he can never lift this franchise up an carry them on his shoulders as play making QBs need to do from time to time, and in the playoffs, like a Warner and others. I've seen him come up short too many times in the regular season, INTs to end games, failed drives, etc. I've never identified the clutch gene in him. And in all honesty, my fear before Schaub went down, was one and done in the playoffs, getting outsted by a more experiened playoff team and playoff veteran QB. Thats how much I lack in faith with him.

Then "in all honesty", why waste your time here on the Texans board. Shirley, there's another board out there that you'd feel much more comfy on. Sheesh.

EllisUnit
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Really Schaub finally had a defense to help out one of the top 5 best offense in the last 3 seasons, and he led us to a 7-3 record. No team can win a championship without a defense and we have not had even a descent one until this season. Get outta here with that retarded ****.

You sound like the talking heads on BSPN.

Oh and u must not watch games if you havent seen the clutch gene in him, 2 times last season he succedded, and many other time he brought us back only to have our D give up the lead again and he had to do it all over again. When the other team can score on your D in less than a minute, that dont help ur QB once he has took us down the field and given us the lead,

The Pencil Neck
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM

See, for me, I've seen the clutch gene in Schaub quite a bit. Sure, he's thrown some ints to end games but he's also scored a lot in the final few minutes of the game that SHOULD have sealed the deal... just to watch the defense piss it away. Last season, he brought our team back several times. To me, that's cluch.

And even if he would have played and even if we would have been one and done in the playoffs, that wouldn't have bothered me. Lots of "great"/"elite" QBs have gone one and done in the playoffs. How long has it been since Brady has won a playoff game? How many playoff games has Manning lost? Brees?

For me, I see this season as being our chance to get into the playoffs and get experience at it. I'm looking at this as being the first of many playoff appearances. I was hoping Schaub would get to the playoffs this season to get valuable experience for next season and the season after that.

beerlover
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Time to place your bets on Yates ladies & gentlemen :fans:

EllisUnit
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM

im betting he throws atleast 2 TD passes.

ChrisG
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM

I think he will do fine. 100-150 yards (due to limited attempts), 2 tds, 1 int

Corrosion
12-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Im just betting on a W ..... :wild:

Texecutioner
12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Just FYI, Tom Brady was a not very highly touted 6th round pick (I believe) While Ryan Leaf was all the talk coming out of college....

I know what Tom Brady was, so are you suggesting that Yates might become Tom Brady who is arguably one of the best 3 QB's of all time? Brady was an exception that isn't normal at all.

EllisUnit
12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I know what Tom Brady was, so are you suggesting that Yates might become Tom Brady who is arguably one of the best 3 QB's of all time? Brady was an exception that isn't normal at all.

but it does happen, never know, he is looking pretty damn good so far in his first start

beerlover
12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Yates 8-13 over 100 yards 1 TD. 10 min left in 2nd quarter

Texecutioner
12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
but it does happen, never know, he is looking pretty damn good so far in his first start

And I just watched Yates stumble his ass off after the snap and gain his composure and then throw a bomb down the field to AJ. Lol!!!!

He's looking good so far in this game.

EllisUnit
12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
i am feeling pretty good about us going deep in the play offs now as well.

Mr. White
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
A in the first half. C in the 2nd half.

I'll split the difference and give him a B overall. I like our chances with this kid going forward.

Rey
12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
All things considered I give him an a+.

phantom17
12-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I gave T.J. an A! I thought Winston had to protect him better! He seem like a cool customer!:fans:

ziggy29
12-04-2011, 03:46 PM
The stats won't consider his huge mistake that was wiped out by a penalty, but I can. Having said that, it was still a solid "game manager" kind of game for the most part, which is what they need -- just enough passing to keep defenses honest, but you still want to emphasize rushing and defense.

Loved how he felt the rush in the pocket and extended plays.

I liked seeing Kubiak go right back to the air on the play after the negated pick-six and not showing he lost confidence in the rookie.

PHAROAH
12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
I must apologize about TJ Yates I wasn't very happy with him getting in a game before veteran but the Kid has something special from what I saw he didn't panic at all. The kid can really throw the ball I think we have our QB of the future on our roster now good game TJ nice first game.

MEGA SWATT
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Great read. Great job by TJ:bravo:

Naiirb
12-04-2011, 08:46 PM
If anyone missed the Fox pregame segment on the Texans and Yates here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MwWl_-KH0xU

AJ looked so happy in the video, it was disheartening seeing his reaction after he hurt his hamstring on the sidelines today.

El Tejano
12-04-2011, 09:19 PM
IMO, he made the play of the game when he tucked the ball, ran and got us to the 4th and 1 which allowed us to go for it, get the 1st and eventually a TD. If he would've did what Schaub would've, we'd a kicked a FG and most likely give ATL second life to win the game.

BullNation4Life
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I gave T.J. an A! I thought Winston had to protect him better! He seem like a cool customer!:fans:

I wonder if Winston thought he had a chip block coming from the RB, he kinda let him go right by him and the RB ran inside to block...

ThaJokaa
12-04-2011, 09:53 PM

AJ looked so happy in the video, it was disheartening seeing his reaction after he hurt his hamstring on the sidelines today.

thanks, Texans Grille showed it but w/o audio.

Repped

b0ng
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Yates looked pretty good, although having AJ go down seemed to hinder him. He was definitely good enough to open the run game up. As long as he protects the ball we should be okay.

DX-TEX
12-04-2011, 10:32 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/justice-texans-add-another-chapter-to-storybook-season/

When reporters kept asking Foster about this “third-string quarterback,” he finally interrupted them.

“He’s NOT third string,” he said. “He’s first string now. He’s a starter in this league and deserves that respect.”

He has become part of a team that seems itself as greater than the sum of its parts. It’s a team that’s enjoying winning for the first time, a team that believes the best is yet to come.

“We kept fighting for each other,” Quin said. “That’s what we do.”

I love you Arian! In a manly way of course...:overreact:

ThaJokaa
12-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Anyone know what song/instrumental was in the vid?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2011/12/justice-texans-add-another-chapter-to-storybook-season/

I love you Arian! In a manly way of course...:overreact:
Awesome!

EVOLVIST
12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I was curious how TJ Yates matched up with other rookie QBs making their first NFL starts, both from the 2011 draft class and from the past. This is by no means complete, yet I think it's interesting (take it as you will).

2011 Draft Class

#1 Cam Newton: 24-37, 64.9%, 422, 2 TDs, 1 INT, Rate 110.4

#10 Blain Gabbert: 12-21, 57.1%, 139, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 73.3

#12 Christian Ponder: 13-32, 40.6%, 219, 2 TD, 2 IT, Rate 59.2

#35 Andy Dalton: 10-15, 66.7%, 81, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 102.4

#152 TJ Yates: 12-25, 48%, 188, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 86.8

2010 Draft Class:

#1 Sam Bradford: 32-55, 58.2%, 253, 1 TD, 3 INT, Rate 53.1

#25 Tim Tebow: 8-16, 50.0%, 138, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 100.5

#85 Colt McCoy: 9-16, 56.3%, 74, 0 TD, 0 INT, Rate 68.2

Others...

#1 Peyton Manning: 21-37, 56.8%, 302, 1 TD, 3 INT, Rate 58.6

#1 Eli Manning: 17-37, 45.9%, 162, 1 TD, 2 INT, Rate 45.1

#90 Matt Schaub: 17-41, 41.5%, 188, 0 TD, 2 INT, Rate 35.4

#11 Ben Roethlisberger: 12-22, 54.5%, 163, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 74.6

#3 Matt Ryan: 9-13, 69.2%, 161, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 137.0

#18 Joe Flacco: 15-29, 51.7%, 129, 0 TD, 0 INT, Rate 63.7

#1 Matthew Stafford: 16-37, 43.2%, 205, 0 TD, 3 INT, Rate 27.4

#1 Carson Palmer: 18-27, 66.7%, 248, 2 TD, 1 INT, Rate 105.2

#27 Dan Marino: 19-29, 65.5%, 322, 3 TD, 2 INT, 108.7

#1 John Elway: 1-8, 12.5%, 14, 0 TD, 1 INT, Rate 0.0

#1 Steve Young: 16-27, 59.3%, 167, 0 TD, 0 INT, Rate 77.2

#1 Troy Aikman: 17-35, 48.6%, 180, 0 TD, 2 INT, Rate 40.2

#3 Vince Young: 14-29, 48.3%, 155, 1 TD, 2 INT, Rate 47.3

What does all this mean? Beats the **** out of me! :lol:

drs23
12-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I was curious how TJ Yates matched up with other rookie QBs making their first NFL starts, both from the 2011 draft class and from the past. This is by no means complete, yet I think it's interesting (take it as you will).

2011 Draft Class

2010 Draft Class:

Others...

It means that Elway fellow, whoever he is, ain't worth a ****.:kitten:

Naiirb
12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Anyone know what song/instrumental was in the vid?

Yea it's The XX - Intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnZkNj7kAo

76Texan
12-04-2011, 10:55 PM
It means that Elway fellow, whoever he is, ain't worth a ****.:kitten:

LOL! :bravo:

76Texan
12-04-2011, 10:57 PM

2011 Draft Class

2010 Draft Class:

Others...

Yates' numbers are more impressive considering we had a few drops and he was under pressure from time to time.

ChampionTexan
12-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Yates' numbers are more impressive considering we had a few drops and he was under pressure from time to time.

Because that never happens to any other quarterback?

thunderkyss
12-05-2011, 06:33 AM

The most important thing to know about Yates, is that he has a really good team around him.

Losing Andre again is going to test us against the Bengals, trying to keep up with Carolina's offense will be a test as well, & the Titans are going to make it a game Jan 1.

It's good to know that he's got a pretty good long ball. All we need is a receiver who can take advantage of it.

CloakNNNdagger
12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Some thoughts by Kubiak.

HoustonTexans Houston Texans
Kubiak: "Matt (Schaub) will continue to be a big part of T.J.'s growth."
43 minutes ago

Houston Texans
Kubiak on Yates' deep ball: "He handled it the other day...He's capable of doing that."
43 minutes ago

Houston Texans
Kubiak on QB coach Greg Knapp: "The way he prepares those guys is as good as I've been around...He's the positive guy all the time w/them."
45 minutes ago

Houston Texans
Kubiak says he almost signed QB Jeff Garcia earlier. Says he wants 2 veterans behind @TJ_Yates.
46 minutes ago

Rey
12-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Some thoughts by Kubiak.

Man, I re-watched that game yesterday and I just had a big ol' grin on my face watching him play...

Some of the sacks he avoided...Some of the passes he threw...Just excellent stuff from a rookie 5th rounder...

I think that the announcers on on the broadcast were a little reluctant to point out just how well the guy played....Mostly out of shock...

I had already seen the game live and I still found myself flinching and shocked when he got away from some sacks...

I think it was 3rd quarter and the DE had gotten around Winston and I thought to myself Oh ****...TJ wasn't looking at the guy...he was looking down field...At the last second he gave him the 'ooptie oop' and hit Arian for like an 8 or 9 yard pass...

welsh texan
12-07-2011, 02:02 PM

2011 Draft Class

2010 Draft Class:

Others...

Has a rookie QB taken that low ever made a start before? Doesn't seem to be anyone on that list even close!

TexansForTheW
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
TJ's pocket mobility is very Brees like. Athletic and has good footwork. Only if we could give Schauby those traits.

EVOLVIST
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Has a rookie QB taken that low ever made a start before? Doesn't seem to be anyone on that list even close!

Yes! Only 3 QBs before TJ Yates were 5th round rookies to make a start in the NFL and win their first games:

1978 - Randy Dean (New York Giants, 5th round - 117th overall)
8-14, 57.1%, 24, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 56.2

1978 - Cliff Olander (San Diego Chargers, 5th round - 128th overall)
5-13, 38.5%, 51, 0 TDs 2 INT, Rate 10.9

2004 - Craig Krenzel (Chicago Bears, 5th round - 148th overall)
13-25, 52.0%, 168, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 70.1

Only Krenzel won his second start. If TJ Yates wins 3 in a row, he holds the record (small though it may be).

eriadoc
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes! Only 3 QBs before TJ Yates were 5th round rookies to make a start in the NFL and win their first games:

1978 - Randy Dean (New York Giants, 5th round - 117th overall)
8-14, 57.1%, 24, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 56.2

1978 - Cliff Olander (San Diego Chargers, 5th round - 128th overall)
5-13, 38.5%, 51, 0 TDs 2 INT, Rate 10.9

2004 - Craig Krenzel (Chicago Bears, 5th round - 148th overall)
13-25, 52.0%, 168, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 70.1

Only Krenzel won his second start. If TJ Yates wins 3 in a row, he holds the record (small though it may be).

Yeah, but look up 6th round and beyond. There are a few. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, for instance, and was drafted in the 9th round. I know Jeff Blake was a late round pick. Of course there's Kurt Warner and Tom Brady that everyone brings up, but there's also guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell, both taken in the 7th round. Bruce Gradkowski won a few games as a 6th round pick. Joe Webb was taken in the 6th round and won a couple games with the Vikings last year or '09, I forget which. Orton was taken in the 4th round. Derek Anderson was taken in the 6th round and went to a Pro Bowl. Rosenfels was taken in the 4th round. Bulger was taken in the 6th round the same year as Brady. Hasselbeck was taken in the 6th round and led his team to multiple playoff games and a Super Bowl. Gus Frerotte was a 7th rounder that won a Super Bowl, and Mark Rypien was a 7th rounder that won a SB. Mark Brunell was a 5th rounder. Stan Humphries was a 6th rounder that took his team to the Super Bowl. As you go further back into the past, you're more likely to find late round QBs that started for their teams in playoffs and Super Bowls, like David Woodley or Steve DeBerg.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, NFL personnel people miss in the draft. And you have to ask yourself how many late round QBs didn't pan out because they were crappy QBs (plenty) vs. how many never panned out because they were never given the sort of opportunity that a high round QB draft pick is given (some)? Give a QB coaching and opportunity and see what he does with it. I think Yates will do well if given enough of both.

The Pencil Neck
12-07-2011, 03:52 PM

How about if he wins the SB?

Oh, yeah. That's right. No rookie has ever done that.

:clown:

El Tejano
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
How about if he wins the SB?

Oh, yeah. That's right. No rookie has ever done that.

:clown:

Well this team has been making history this year!:shades:

infantrycak
12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but look up 6th round and beyond. ...

He specified rookies. Brad Johnson didn't start any games until his 3rd year. Jeff Blake 2nd year. Kurt Warner 2nd year in NFL. Tom Brady 2nd year.

eriadoc
12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
He specified rookies. Brad Johnson didn't start any games until his 3rd year. Jeff Blake 2nd year. Kurt Warner 2nd year in NFL. Tom Brady 2nd year.

Fair enough, but I don't think there are many highly drafted rookies that have had a great deal of success to start with, either. I just wanted to make the point that draft position doesn't matter as much as people think it does, at least in terms of talent. It matters in how much opportunity they're given.

EVOLVIST
12-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Yeah, but look up 6th round and beyond. There are a few. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, for instance, and was drafted in the 9th round. I know Jeff Blake was a late round pick. Of course there's Kurt Warner and Tom Brady that everyone brings up, but there's also guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell, both taken in the 7th round. Bruce Gradkowski won a few games as a 6th round pick. Joe Webb was taken in the 6th round and won a couple games with the Vikings last year or '09, I forget which. Orton was taken in the 4th round. Derek Anderson was taken in the 6th round and went to a Pro Bowl. Rosenfels was taken in the 4th round. Bulger was taken in the 6th round the same year as Brady. Hasselbeck was taken in the 6th round and led his team to multiple playoff games and a Super Bowl. Gus Frerotte was a 7th rounder that won a Super Bowl, and Mark Rypien was a 7th rounder that won a SB. Mark Brunell was a 5th rounder. Stan Humphries was a 6th rounder that took his team to the Super Bowl.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, NFL personnel people miss in the draft. And you have to ask yourself how many late round QBs didn't pan out because they were crappy QBs (plenty) vs. how many never panned out because they were never given the sort of opportunity that a high round QB draft pick is given (some)? Give a QB coaching and opportunity and see what he does with it. I think Yates will do well if given enough of both.

I know where you're coming from, but the conversation was about starting rookies and wins...not late round QBs and their success.

Mark Brunell didn't start as a rookie
Tom Brady did not start as a rookie
Brad Johnson didn't start as a rookie
Jeff Blake didn't start as a rookie
Kurt Warner didn't start as a rookie
Matt Cassel didn't start as a rookie
Sage Rosenfels didn't start as a rookie
Matt Hasselbeck did not start as a rookie
Stan Humphries did not start as a rookie.

Only half of the names you listed started as a rookies: Fitzpatrick, Gradkowski, Webb, Anderson, Frerotte, Bulger, Rypien and Orton

The only ones to start with any success were Webb, Frerotte and Bulger. Joe Webb was out of the league in two years.

The point is, because we're left with a short list again that it is ideal for a rookie - or any QB draft pick for that matter - to sit and learn the game a while for their odds of success to grow. See all of the above, see Steve McNair (1st round), Steve Deberg (10th round), etc...

Again, like Randy Dean, Cliff Olander and Craig Krenzel, the odds are stacked against TJ Yates for success. One can only hope for the young man that in 10 years people will remember TJ Yates, at least in the same breath as Bulger and Frerotte, at the most in the same breath as Tom Brady and Kurt Warner.

Hervoyel
12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Picture1-5.png

Ran across this and had to laugh.

GP
12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Man, I re-watched that game yesterday and I just had a big ol' grin on my face watching him play...

Some of the sacks he avoided...Some of the passes he threw...Just excellent stuff from a rookie 5th rounder...

I think that the announcers on on the broadcast were a little reluctant to point out just how well the guy played....Mostly out of shock...

I had already seen the game live and I still found myself flinching and shocked when he got away from some sacks...

I think it was 3rd quarter and the DE had gotten around Winston and I thought to myself Oh ****...TJ wasn't looking at the guy...he was looking down field...At the last second he gave him the 'ooptie oop' and hit Arian for like an 8 or 9 yard pass...

My dad called me Monday.

He has been threatening to abandon the Cowboys for about a year now. He recently abandoned the Democrat party about 3 years ago. So he's sort of shaking up his paradigms in terms of having been long-term, diehard Dem and now considering bolting the Cowboys too.

He said watching TJ Yates did it for him. He's enjoying watching the Texans and what they're doing (and have been doing for awhile now). He said he can't put up with Jerry Jones' antics anymore. So he's on board now.

My dad and I used to have little friendly squabbles back when I was a kid. He had his 1990s Cowboys Super Bowl teams that he would rub in my face, asking me how I could ever want to be an Oilers fan when I could be rooting for the best team in Texas (the Cowboys). LOL. Well, that lake has run dry and I think he sees the classy ways of McNair and he sees the sideline demeanor of Kubiak, and it reminds him of the Landry years of long ago.

I'm going to re-watch the Falcons game because I, too, was amazed at Yates escaping all those pressures the way he did.

Brisco_County
12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Good post GP. When you see that a group or a person isn't rewarding your longterm loyalty because they refuse to change, there is no shame in jumping ship.

On Yates, today I read a rumor on Rotowire that there were "grumblings" that Kubiak would prefer a vet QB take over and lead after we got deep in the playoffs and he had time to learn the playbook. It sounded like the kind of thing a national media outsider would speculate, then pass off as inside info.

Say Watt
12-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Good post GP. When you see that a group or a person isn't rewarding your longterm loyalty because they refuse to change, there is no shame in jumping ship.

On Yates, today I read a rumor on Rotowire that there were "grumblings" that Kubiak would prefer a vet QB take over and lead after we got deep in the playoffs and he had time to learn the playbook. It sounded like the kind of thing a national media outsider would speculate, then pass off as inside info.

I hope not. I want us to stick it out with TJ. The players are behind him, and I think he gives us a better chance to win than either Garcia or Delhomme. My "Anybody But Kubiak" sig courtesy of GP will go back up if he benches TJ for no reason other than to feel more comfortable with a vet in there.

TexansFanatic
12-08-2011, 12:06 AM

Right.

If anything, I'm thinking Kubiak wants to have a veteran QB available to take over should Yates get into trouble.

But I'm willing to bet my house that Kubiak understands he's caught lightning in a bottle with his team's chemistry and he's not about to screw that up by summarily pulling the plug on the kid.

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Are you sure that it didn't refer to the fact that Kubiak preferred a vet BACKING UP Yates, and therefore led to Garcia's signing (which was reported)????

Rey
12-08-2011, 08:26 AM
My dad called me Monday.

He has been threatening to abandon the Cowboys for about a year now. He recently abandoned the Democrat party about 3 years ago. So he's sort of shaking up his paradigms in terms of having been long-term, diehard Dem and now considering bolting the Cowboys too.

He said watching TJ Yates did it for him. He's enjoying watching the Texans and what they're doing (and have been doing for awhile now). He said he can't put up with Jerry Jones' antics anymore. So he's on board now.

My dad and I used to have little friendly squabbles back when I was a kid. He had his 1990s Cowboys Super Bowl teams that he would rub in my face, asking me how I could ever want to be an Oilers fan when I could be rooting for the best team in Texas (the Cowboys). LOL. Well, that lake has run dry and I think he sees the classy ways of McNair and he sees the sideline demeanor of Kubiak, and it reminds him of the Landry years of long ago.

I'm going to re-watch the Falcons game because I, too, was amazed at Yates escaping all those pressures the way he did.

That's awesome...

My uncle is a huge cowboy and jets fan....He got me into the cowboys and Jets when I was younger...

Skeletons...In...the....closet....

Rey
12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
I was thinking about something else with Yates...

In hindsight, that INT/Non-INT he threw was probably a good thing to humble him. Not saying he was a cocky kid or anything, but he's human. You come out and have a successful day and you start believing the news clippings. On that same drive after Dunta helped us out for old times sake we scored the go ahead TD that turned out to be the winning score...TJ made some nice throws, we pounded the rock and he had that nice run that put us in position to go for it on 4th and short...After we got that first down it was pretty much academic from there...

Anyways, I hope he remembers and forgets that INT that really wasn't...

Rey
12-08-2011, 08:37 AM
http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1531176&width=628&height=471

Rey
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
T.J. Yates worships at the altar of Tim Tebow: Does the new Houston Texans quarterback know magic?

Yates may be the most unlikely starting quarterback in the NFL this year — one of the most unlikely this decade. A rookie third stringer, a fifth-round draft pick to boot, on the Houston Texans, who came into the season with one of the most secure quarterback situations in the entire league.

When's that guy ever going to see the field?

The answer is all too real for Texans fans of course: When an 8-3 team loses Matt Schaub to a crushed foot and his backup Matt Leinart to a broken collarbone in consecutive games, that's when. To expect Yates to keep Houston in contention for the No. 1 seed in the AFC, or even to keep the starting job for the rest of the year, one would almost have to believe in magic.

Yates found himself getting booed during his junior year of college at North Carolina, he went to Atlanta to attend the SEC Championship Game, even though the Tar Heels are in a completely different conference and weren't going to play either Florida or Alabama. Yates went, in part, because he wanted to check out Tim Tebow.

This was in 2009, during the heart of Tebow Mania in college football, eye black messages and all. Tebow didn't perform any miracles on that day, in fact his Gators got drilled by Nick Saban's soon-to-be national champion Crimson Tide 32-13. But Yates still soaked up everything he could........

"I was kind of mesmerized," Yates told the Greensboro News & Record at the time. "I had good seats, so I was studying everything Tim Tebow did, how he carried himself throughout the game. It was definitely a good experience. It gives you motivation to want to play in a game like that on a big stage like that."

Hey, if you're looking for quarterback magic, you check out Tebow. With Tim now Tebowing the NFL, going 5-1 as the Denver Broncos starter despite passing stats that would make most Texas high school coaches toss in their sleep, Yates comes across as ahead of the curve. He knew the way Tebow carried himself in the huddle (notice, he didn't say he studied Tebow's passing motion) was extraordinary. Worth going to school on..........

Now two years later, Yates find himself starting a big NFL game sooner than even he ever could have expected. He'll be going up against Atlanta Falcons quarterback and Schaub buddy Matt Ryan — who's still one of the top young quarterbacks in the league, no matter what his critics think — at Reliant Stadium Sunday afternoon. While no one expects Yates to win a quarterback duel with Ryan (who has a nine to two touchdown-to-interception ratio the last four weeks) — in fact, the Texans cannot win that way — the 24-year-old making his first career NFL start could bring a little Tebow to the table.

No, not in playing style. While more mobile than Schaub (you can also say that about some cement trucks), the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Yates is not anywhere close to the running weapon that Tebow is.

But where he might be able to bring some Tebowing is in the unnatural composure part.

His understanding of the need to lean on tight end Owen Daniels (still the Texans' most dangerous downfield passing weapon until Andre Johnson shows he's completely back) on that rushed-on drive is also encouraging.

“He’s fine," Schaub said of Yates going into the game. "His state of mind . . . he has a calm presence. He has good poise and composure.

"He’s not going to be deer in the headlights or anything like that."

None of this guarantees that Yates will play well against the Falcons. Or even that he won't be benched for veteran Jake Delhomme, who the Texans just signed off the farm this week, by the fourth quarter of Sunday's game. There are few grace periods in the NFL and an 8-3 team cannot wait for anyone — even if that someone has near-Tebow grace.

Yates is used to making quick decisions. He gave up on football his junior year of high school, convinced that he'd make a better major college basketball player. But when the schools he expected to want him in hoops showed little interest, he went back out for football his senior year — and became a four-year starting quarterback at North Carolina, one of those schools where he always wanted to play basketball.

This is a man who can adjust on the fly. That SEC title game trip shows he knows who to study too. But now the Texans want to know: Does T.J. Yates have any magic of his own?

Written before the Falcons game but a good read.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/12-04-11-tj-yates-worships-at-the-altar-of-tim-tebow-does-the-new-houston-texans-quarterback-know-magic/

CloakNNNdagger
12-08-2011, 09:18 AM
T.J. Yates worships at the altar of Tim Tebow: Does the new Houston Texans quarterback know magic?

Written before the Falcons game but a good read.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/12-04-11-tj-yates-worships-at-the-altar-of-tim-tebow-does-the-new-houston-texans-quarterback-know-magic/

It's not a good read. It's a great read. Thanks for posting. I just don't want to start seeing fans tattooing "TJ YATES across their bare backs.":kitten:

drs23
12-08-2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1531176&width=628&height=471

TJ rockin' his trademark pinkie on his free hand. Truely a man's man who's comfy with his style.

I really like this guy.

brakos82
12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
TJ rockin' his trademark pinkie on his free hand. Truely a man's man who's comfy with his style.

I really like this guy.

Yeah, but he's not sticking his tongue out. :kitten:

GP
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM

I really like this guy.

Hey now, he's just practicing by throwing the football with one hand and holding the hardware in the other. Can't blame the guy for preparing for his destiny!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/tj_trophy.jpg

Wolf
12-10-2011, 01:11 PM
T.J. Yates and other young QBs aren't out of their depth in NFL

Yates, a former third-stringer for Houston who played well in his first start, a win over Atlanta, is one of several inexperienced quarterbacks thrust into prominent roles with playoff contenders.

Texans quarterback T.J. Yates is given some encouraging words from wide receiver Kevin Walter in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

The Houston Texans have never made the NFL playoffs, but they're heading into the stretch run with a two-game lead in the AFC South, the league's No. 2 defense and No. 3 running game.

And they have a rookie quarterback in T.J. Yates, a fifth-round pick who was an afterthought invitee to the scouting combine and spent most of this season as a third-stringer behind Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart.

Yates might sound like a 16-year-old kid holding the keys to a Maserati, but that's not how his teammates look at him — especially after his respectable performance in Sunday's 17-10 victory over Atlanta. Making his first NFL start, he completed 12 of 15 passes for 188 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions.

"I knew he was going to come out poised," tackle Eric Winston said Monday by phone. "I knew he'd embrace the moment and the moment wouldn't be too big for him."

That's good, because the moments are only going to get bigger. Yates is among a handful of young quarterbacks thrust into the spotlight for teams still alive in the playoff race.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/05/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20111206

TexanSam
12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I think a lot of TJ Yates' poise and early success is because of the team he has around him. The Texans are clearly a confident team. The defense can hold their own against anyone and the offense, while not spectacular, is very gritty with Arian Foster and Ben Tate leading the way (along with the O-line). Even with all of our injuries, the Texans haven't lost confidence in their ability to dominate a game. I think that gives Yates a lot more confidence about managing the game and helping this team win.

thunderkyss
12-10-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-12/66516779.jpg

"I said I got this!!"

kiwitexansfan
12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Yates just looks more quarterbacky than Schaub.

Does that count for anything?

QB75
12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Until TJ has to bring the team back from a big deficit, or convert some critical 3rd downs to keep a drive going, I don't think we really know what we've got. He certainly hasn't had to do either in the 6 or 7 quarters that he's played so far.

Maybe he will have such an opportunity in Cicinnatti.

TheEastwood
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah... Hopefully he doesn't.

Rey
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah... Hopefully he doesn't.

This.

Lots of qb's don't have to do that on a regular basis especially not as rookies.

Id prefer a good ol' mud stompin.

Converting 3rd downs, he kind of did that this past weekend.

EVOLVIST
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Until TJ has to bring the team back from a big deficit, or convert some critical 3rd downs to keep a drive going, I don't think we really know what we've got. He certainly hasn't had to do either in the 6 or 7 quarters that he's played so far.

Maybe he will have such an opportunity in Cicinnatti.

Exactly. But also, if TJ Yates is everything the team and the fans make him out to be, we also need to see steady progress - game by game - and not a regression or simply the status quo.

That's not to say if he goes in and stinks it up against Cincy I would be off his bandwagon, per se, but if he falters, he would really need to bounce back against the Pathers, and so on.

In other words, with 4 games left in the schedule it will be about his body of work going into the playoffs that will not only tell us how we'll fare in the post-season, but also how Yates could perform as a future starter.

A reminder: No rookie 5th round QB has ever one three games in a row.

QB75
12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Exactly. But also, if TJ Yates is everything the team and the fans make him out to be, we also need to see steady progress - game by game - and not a regression or simply the status quo.

That's not to say if he goes in and stinks it up against Cincy I would be off his bandwagon, per se, but if he falters, he would really need to bounce back against the Pathers, and so on.

In other words, with 4 games left in the schedule it will be about his body of work going into the playoffs that will not only tell us how we'll fare in the post-season, but also how Yates could perform as a future starter.

One has to wonder how many rookie 5th round QBs have even played three games in row.

Anyway, I think that it will be a tough game tomorrow.

EVOLVIST
12-10-2011, 08:02 PM
One has to wonder how many rookie 5th round QBs have even played three games in row.

Anyway, I think that it will be a tough game tomorrow.

Only 3 since the 1970 merger. See post #465 of this thread.

Texan_Bill
12-10-2011, 08:07 PM
What happens is....... What I said was....

TJ will make a number of good plays, BUT he will throw a pick (or in general) make a bad play.... That said, when we ALL freak out after that, we WIN!! We are laying 3, but I got us for the straight up WIN!!

Of course whenever I say "Book it"!!! I am all about FAIL!! We'll see tomorrow. I have the Texans by 8!!!! 24-16(ish).....

thunderkyss
12-10-2011, 09:47 PM

No Tarheel has ever started as a QB either.

brakos82
12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Time for a new smilie. :yatesing:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/brakos82/yatesing.png

LOL

Texanfan4ever
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Time for a new smilie. :yatesing:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/brakos82/yatesing.png

LOL

I love this! I'm Yatesing!!

beerlover
12-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Here is a fantastic pre-draft scouting report on TJ Yates leading up to the draft & now his opportunity to lead Texans into the post season, enjoy! http://www.draftnasty.com/football/articles/houston-s-yates-on-center-stage/

NFL teams won’t look for Yates to come in as the #1 guy right away, but he certainly would be a reliable backup with a base package given to him.