PDA

View Full Version : All CBs not named Nnamdi Thread - Free Agency & Texans

nero THE zero
07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
According to LZ:

LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
The Texans are a LOCK to sign one of the to 5 CBs on the free agent market. Rumor has it that Cromartie will not be one of their targets.

badboy
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
We should be able to buy one of them

texanfan2002114
07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Not according to what I just heard from John Mclain on 610am. He said if the cap is at $120m then the Texans will be right at the cap already. They will need to cut and restructure contracts before even trying to resign their own players.

After hearing that, I'm not to optimistic that the Texans make a huge splash in FA.

badboy
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Not according to what I just heard from John Mclain on 610am. He said if the cap is at $120m then the Texans will be right at the cap already. They will need to cut and restructure contracts before even trying to resign their own players.

After hearing that, I'm not to optimistic that the Texans make a huge splash in FA.Would be nice if McClain would give his source for the Texans salaries or where he gets the $120m. I gave an example in my post on the cap with first 3 cuts I listed that 9 million could be saved.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 09:39 AM

After hearing that, I'm not to optimistic that the Texans make a huge splash in FA.

If you take what LZ and what Mclain are saying, then we are probably seeing the writing on the wall for Leach and the opportunity for Casey to come on. Remember Casey is a Kubiak pick and you know he wants that pick to work. I just think that in a season in which your preseason is going to be cut short, this is a wrong move if so.

On the other hand, I'm more willing to believe LZ vs. Mclain because LZ has proven to be more right than John in recent transactions.

badboy
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
If you take what LZ and what Mclain are saying, then we are probably seeing the writing on the wall for Leach and the opportunity for Casey to come on. Remember Casey is a Kubiak pick and you know he wants that pick to work. I just think that in a season in which your preseason is going to be cut short, this is a wrong move if so.

On the other hand, I'm more willing to believe LZ vs. Mclain because LZ has proven to be more right than John in recent transactions.I thought Leach was added to the roster under Kubes?

Ole Miss Texan
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I thought I read somewhere that teams may be able to specify one player next season and get $3MM reduced of their cap hit (only for cap calculation purposes). The following year it would be 3 players at $1.5MM each. Something like that.

A #1 CB is what is needed for this team and I would take Asomugha, Joseph and Taylor in that order. Marshall is not a #1 corner but would be a great signing if we needed a #2 or so. He could easily be who we end up with but I would be slightly disappointed with that. Aso/Joseph would be the splash. Taylor would be a good quality signing. Marshall is a last resort to attempt to fill a need.

Not surprising that Cromartie would not be on our radar. He's overrated and definitely doesn't fit with the character of players we want.

FWIW: LZ first reported we had an interest in Ike Taylor MONTHS ago. Like January/February timeframe.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I thought Leach was added to the roster under Kubes?

As a FA, not as a draft pick though. And Leach was primarily brought in because Mike Sherman wanted him. So Kubiak has less fingerprints on Leach than he does on Casey, and the big reason for selecting him was because if his versatility to deep snap, play FB, receiver, TE and even QB.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I thought I read somewhere that teams may be able to specify one player next season and get $3MM reduced of their cap hit (only for cap calculation purposes). The following year it would be 3 players at $1.5MM each. Something like that.

A #1 CB is what is needed for this team and I would take Asomugha, Joseph and Taylor in that order. Marshall is not a #1 corner but would be a great signing if we needed a #2 or so. He could easily be who we end up with but I would be slightly disappointed with that. Aso/Joseph would be the splash. Taylor would be a good quality signing. Marshall is a last resort to attempt to fill a need.

Not surprising that Cromartie would not be on our radar. He's overrated and definitely doesn't fit with the character of players we want.

FWIW: LZ first reported we had an interest in Ike Taylor MONTHS ago. Like January/February timeframe.

And he has connections to Pittsburgh. I'd like Taylor, especially for our scheme.

Dutchrudder
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Ike Taylor is the most likely to be signed by the Texans. He will go for less money than Aso or Joseph, and the Steelers will be over the cap at the start of free agency if it is 120 million.

nero THE zero
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
I used to be a big Taylor fan. Now, not so much.

He's old, he's not outstanding in any facet of the game, and he is a veteran Steeler defender (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6782227/free-agents-meet-hell).

I just think he'd cause more problems than he'd solve over the course of the next 3-4 years.

TEXANRED
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Would be nice if McClain would give his source for the Texans salaries or where he gets the $120m. I gave an example in my post on the cap with first 3 cuts I listed that 9 million could be saved.

It looks like Yahoo.sports is reporting the same thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Labor-Update-2011-salary-cap-set-at-120-millio?urn=nfl-wp3408

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 10:46 AM

He's old, he's not outstanding in any facet of the game, and he is a veteran Steeler defender (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6782227/free-agents-meet-hell).

I just think he'd cause more problems than he'd solve over the course of the next 3-4 years.

That's pretty freakin enlightening man.

Corrosion
07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Expect Slaton and 0k0ye to be released .... any other dead weight too.

Like I said in the thread on Leach , Smith is gonna earn his keep in this FA period .... or we'll be in for a long season.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Sorry but, who is the Marshall guy they are talking about?

TEXANRED
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Question, what happens if you are over the cap? Looks like there are going to be a few teams who are in some trouble is the cap stays at $120 million.

LOL @ the Cards! This is the only team that can afford Aso.

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Indianapolis $115.5 million
Jacksonville $78.1 million
Kansas City $74.7 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
New England $102.3 million
New Orleans $105.2 million
New York Giants $126.3 million
New York Jets $128.5 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Philadelphia $80.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
San Francisco $100.9 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
Washington $115.2 million
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37327/looking-at-2011-salary-cap-figures

GP
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Expect Slaton and 0k0ye to be released .... any other dead weight too.

Like I said in the thread on Leach , Smith is gonna earn his keep in this FA period .... or we'll be in for a long season.

Leach has to be gone. Okoye, IIRC, only saves us maybe between 1 and 2 mill correct? At least I think that was what he stood to make this year. Maybe I'm wrong.

It'd be nice if a few Texans were lining up at McNair's door to donate some blood (re-structure their contracts), to get Aso or a good CB/S combination here. Time to see if they want a real chance at a 3-to-4 year playoff run.

I don't think we can afford the guy even if we made cuts. Any cap gurus here?

nero THE zero
07-20-2011, 10:55 AM
That's pretty freakin enlightening man.

Is there a reason for the sarcasm or am I off-base for not having a 31 year old CB, who is average in coverage, and is playing on a team that is historically known for their free agents under-performing on other teams at the top of my wish list? Especially when there are some other free agents who are considerably more attractive (i.e. the best CB in the league and a 26 and 27 year old cornerback who are both better in coverage).

The1ApplePie
Ike Taylor is very old for the position, and has been kind of a system guy anyways.

GP
Question, what happens if you are over the cap? Looks like there are going to be a few teams who are in some trouble is the cap stays at $120 million.

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37327/looking-at-2011-salary-cap-figures

How in the hell can the Bucs be at $60 million???? WTH? That's HALF of ours.

Man, after seeing this--unless I am misinterpreting things--the Eagles, the Chargers, the Bucs, the Cardinals, and possibly either Chiefs/Seahawks have the room (about $40 million, except Bucs who have $60 million) to get Aso.

Unless the Bucs just have like 50 players to re-sign...they could haul in a HUGE number of free agents.

This has to be a deal of some teams having a lot of free agents to re-sign on their own rosters. Please, God, tell me that the Bucs just have a lot of contracts that are up for renewal.

texanfan2002114
07-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million

There are plenty of teams on your list that can afford Aso. Phili and SD look like places where I would go if I was him.

steelbtexan
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I dont care if they have to cut/restructure half the team. I just want to see them sign a true #1 CB.

So we wont have to be put through the excruciating experience of watching another yr of the we're going to go young Rick Smith theme. If that means letting Leach go so be it.

DX-TEX
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Notoriously cheap teams (Bucs, Bengals, etc...) are being forced to spend a minimum amount to get to the new floor that is around 90 million I believe. It is going to absolutely FLOOD the FA market when teams start cutting aging vets to get under the new cap. I feel there will be a lot of talent available for cheap after about 3 days of free agency.

Bigger question....how in the hell is our number so damn high and we cant have a winning season? WTF?

nero THE zero
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Bigger question....how in the hell is our number so damn high and we cant have a winning season? WTF?
Because Bob McNair is cheap!

ChampionTexan
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million

There's all sorts of figures flying around. I've seen recent reports indicating that Indy is one of the teams with the most room under the cap (at least cash-wise) LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Panthers-lead-list-of-teams-on-the-hook-with-new?urn=nfl-wp2868), and I've seen other reports indicating that the Raiders are significantly over the cap. Now I don't know what's right and what's not, but I do know that when one report says a team is way under, and another says that team is over the cap, at least one of them is wrong. Since I don't know which (if either) is correct, I'll pretty much ignore all of it for now.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Is there a reason for the sarcasm or am I off-base for not having a 31 year old CB, who is average in coverage, and is playing on a team that is historically known for their free agents under-performing on other teams at the top of my wish list? Especially when there are some other free agents who are considerably more attractive (i.e. the best CB in the league and a 26 and 27 year old cornerback who are both better in coverage).

I didn't put the sarcasm smiley for a reason - because what you showed in your link truly did enlighten me to the idea that your reason for not liking Taylor is pretty valid based on the info in that link.

If you look around the forums you will see that I don't do alot of putting down other people's post. I simply agree or disagree and sometimes people prove me wrong or change my mind when they show some valid info.

Relax bro, football is almost here.

TEXANRED
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
The 2011 Texans payroll:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/yearly/

It's not looking good for us. We still have to sign our draft picks.

Say goodbye to Leach fellas.

TEXANRED
07-20-2011, 11:07 AM
There's all sorts of figures flying around. I've seen recent reports indicating that Indy is one of the teams with the most room under the cap (at least cash-wise) LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Panthers-lead-list-of-teams-on-the-hook-with-new?urn=nfl-wp2868), and I've seen other reports indicating that the Raiders are significantly over the cap. Now I don't know what's right and what's not, but I do know that when one report says a team is way under, and another says that team is over the cap, at least one of them is wrong. Since I don't know which, I'll pretty much ignore all of it for now.

They should be under the cap until they sign Manning. If he gets tagged won't he make something like $35 Million just to play one year of football?

DX-TEX
07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
The 2011 Texans payroll:

WHo is Brian Russell and why is he making 3 million dollars?

ChampionTexan
07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
They should be under the cap until they sign Manning. If he gets tagged won't he make something like $35 Million just to play one year of football?

That's not my point - my point is that info is all over the board, and therefore, it's difficult, if not impossible, to figure out what's correct.

But I think you're way off on what he gets if he plays under the franchise tag in 2011 (which he won't anyway). The 2010 franchise amount for QB's was $16.4 Million, and while it could go up, I doubt it will hit $20 Million.

LINK (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/01/official_franchisetransition_t.html)

nero THE zero
07-20-2011, 11:17 AM
The 2011 Texans payroll:

That list is whack. If we pay Brian Russell and Jarvis Green $3M each next year I will eat my hat.

It is a futile effort to determine what our cap number is when there is not even a cap number in place yet. Given the reports that are out there, I'm confident the FO will do what it has to do to sign a difference maker at CB.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM

yeah wth? Also , Casey 480K? I think we are opening the exit door for Leach.

texanfan2002114
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Notoriously cheap teams (Bucs, Bengals, etc...) are being forced to spend a minimum amount to get to the new floor that is around 90 million I believe. It is going to absolutely FLOOD the FA market when teams start cutting aging vets to get under the new cap. I feel there will be a lot of talent available for cheap after about 3 days of free agency.

If the cap is $120m they will now need to spend $108m. The 90 you have is 90% of the cap not $90m.

DX-TEX
07-20-2011, 11:25 AM
If the cap is $120m they will now need to spend $108m. The 90 you have is 90% of the cap not $90m.

I knew there was a 90 in there somewhere. Thanks

texanfan2002114
07-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I knew there was a 90 in there somewhere. Thanks

No problem!

Texan4Ever
07-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Brian Russell is that one white dude playing Safety. He had one good season--back in 2003 with the Vikes. Currently an UFA.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2011, 11:42 AM
John Clayton's official perennial full Team list Salary cap status has not been published. That tells me that there are no real legitimate numbers available at this time. Clayton's last article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6749994) which I have posted in the past only has a "taste.)

infantrycak
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM

He is a back up safety and was released. He's a league minimum kind of guy if he even stays in the league next year. That link is whack. On the flip side, Mario is going to be a lot more than $3.725 mil.

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html Brian Russel isn't even on our roster

Dutchrudder
07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
How in the hell can the Bucs be at $60 million???? WTH? That's HALF of ours.

Man, after seeing this--unless I am misinterpreting things--the Eagles, the Chargers, the Bucs, the Cardinals, and possibly either Chiefs/Seahawks have the room (about $40 million, except Bucs who have $60 million) to get Aso.

Unless the Bucs just have like 50 players to re-sign...they could haul in a HUGE number of free agents.

This has to be a deal of some teams having a lot of free agents to re-sign on their own rosters. Please, God, tell me that the Bucs just have a lot of contracts that are up for renewal.

If you follow the link, they say: "These numbers donít include what restricted free agents, exclusive-rights free agents or franchise players would count toward the cap because we donít know that -- and wonít until there is a labor agreement in place. And, although we know there will be a 2011 draft no matter what, these numbers donít include rookie salaries. The numbers below are only for players currently under contract for the 2011 season. "

Corrosion
07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Leach has to be gone. Okoye, IIRC, only saves us maybe between 1 and 2 mill correct? At least I think that was what he stood to make this year. Maybe I'm wrong.

It'd be nice if a few Texans were lining up at McNair's door to donate some blood (re-structure their contracts), to get Aso or a good CB/S combination here. Time to see if they want a real chance at a 3-to-4 year playoff run.

I don't think we can afford the guy even if we made cuts. Any cap gurus here?

No one knows exactly whats in the new CBA that may allow some wiggle room .... impossible to tell at this point.

I expect the Texans to make a run at Aso one way or another , even if they cant afford the guy , they will find a way to sign one of the others on their list. They simply dont have a choice ..... Smith's job is on the line just as much , if not moreso than Kubiaks believe it or not.

El Tejano
07-20-2011, 12:04 PM
So still wondering who this Marshall guy is.

playa465
07-20-2011, 12:08 PM
So still wondering who this Marshall guy is.

Prolly referring to Richard Marshall CB, Carolina Panthers

Texecutioner
07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
No one knows exactly whats in the new CBA that may allow some wiggle room .... impossible to tell at this point.

I expect the Texans to make a run at Aso one way or another , even if they cant afford the guy , they will find a way to sign one of the others on their list. They simply dont have a choice ..... Smith's job is on the line just as much , if not moreso than Kubiaks believe it or not.

They'll sign the cheapest guy at CB probably. Anyone can say they made a run at Aso, but it's going to take 17 to probably 20 a year and I just don't see that Texans doing it. Probably will make a Jaque Reeves type of signing.

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 12:12 PM
QB: Schaub, Dan Orlovsky, TJ Yates
RB: Foster, Ward, Tate (Obbannaya)
WR: AJ, (FA), Walter, DA, Dickerson, Trindon Holliday
TE: OD, Dreesen, Garret Graham
FB/TE: Casey
OT: Winston, Brown,(FA), D.Newton
G: W.Smith, Brisiel, Caldwell, (S.Smith)
OC: C.Myers, Cody Wallace (who?)

NT: Mitchell, Cody
DE: A.Smith, Watt, Jamison, Bulman
OLB: Williams, Barwin, Reed, Nading (Ozougwu)
ILB: Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton, Keglar
CB: (FA), Allen, Harris, KJack, McManis, R.Carmicheal
S: Quinn, (FA) Nolan, Keo, Barber(if no FA is found)

K: Rackers
P: (FA)

This is how I see the roster shaping out with what we currently have (with a few re-signs added in)

Thats 48 players right there. (The Parenthesis are people I think will be on the practice Squad). That gives us 5 spots, 1 of which will be needed to filled by a punter. In my perfect world we sign a CB and have either McManis or Carmicheal deactivated on gameday while the other plays special teams or comes in when we need like a 7th DB. So thats 2, 3 places left, Hopefully one goes to safety, and as far as luxury, another WR pickup and deactivate DD or DA if Dickerson makes strides on game day. Which means 2 more open spots.

playa465
07-20-2011, 12:15 PM

I saw that yesterday but was too lazy to post it...Ike Taylor is talented, but how much is covered by their front 7 and having Polamalu roaming all over the place. Even still Taylor is potentially better than what we have, I just hope he ain't looking for that last big payday and fails to contribute consistent to what he gets paid

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 12:26 PM
QB: Schaub, Dan Orlovsky, TJ Yates
RB: Foster, Ward, Tate (Obbannaya)
WR: AJ, Walter, DA, Dickerson, Trindon Holliday
TE: OD, Dreesen, Garret Graham
FB/TE: Casey
OT: Winston, Brown, D.Newton
G: W.Smith, Brisiel, Caldwell, (S.Smith)
OC: C.Myers, Cody Wallace (who?)

NT: Mitchell, Cody
DE: A.Smith, Watt, Jamison, Bulman
OLB: Williams, Barwin, Reed, Nading (Ozougwu)
ILB: Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton, Keglar
CB: K.Jack, Allen, Harris, McManis, R.Carmicheal
S: Quinn, Nolan, Keo, Barber

K: Rackers
P:

This is how I see the roster shaping out with what we currently have (with a few re-signs added in)

Thats 48 players right there. (The Parenthesis are people I think will be on the practice Squad). That gives us 5 spots, 1 of which will be needed to filled by a punter. In my perfect world we sign a CB and have either McManis or Carmicheal deactivated on gameday while the other plays special teams or comes in when we need like a 7th DB. So thats 2, 3 places left, Hopefully one goes to safety, and as far as luxury, another WR pickup and deactivate DD or DA if Dickerson makes strides on game day. Which means 2 more open spots.

Assuming http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/yearly/ is accurate, The Salary for those above 48 (minus Allen and the rookies) is 64.734 million or 64,734,000 Now i just need to find a list of all the signing bonuses due this year ...

Edit: The only reason I believe the above number is correct is because I researched Wards new contract, and it was for 1.75 million total with a 825,000 signing bonus, which left 825,000 in salary which is what the link had. Also the only reason I believe the number is wrong is because Brian Russel isn't listed on the Texans Roster on their website

TimeKiller
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
However will they get under the cap and have room to sign a big name?

Ummmmm how about starting by cutting dead weight, like the top10 DT who is making a boatload of jack for doing....jack nuthin!! How about asking Ryans and Schaub to restructure? How about not re-signing broken TEs when we've got 40 others waiting to play?

Looking to make a Jacques Reeves signing huh?

Jesus, we might just end up with Jacques Reeves!!! ahhhhhhh!!!!

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 12:34 PM
However will they get under the cap and have room to sign a big name?

Ummmmm how about starting by cutting dead weight, like the top10 DT who is making a boatload of jack for doing....jack nuthin!! How about asking Ryans and Schaub to restructure? How about not re-signing broken TEs when we've got 40 others waiting to play?

Actually, I'm looking for a good source on Okoye's contract, but what I've found so far is that a large portion of his cap hit from his rookie contract is from Guaranteed Money and incentives, his actual salary is probably quite low, and looks like it will cost more to cut him this year than keep him

ChampionTexan
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Actually, I'm looking for a good source on Okoye's contract, but what I've found so far is that a large portion of his cap hit from his rookie contract is from Guaranteed Money and incentives, his actual salary is probably quite low, and looks like it will cost more to cut him this year than keep him

Rotoworld has his 2011 salary at $2.95 Million. They're usually pretty accurate, and they don't include any bonus (prorated or otherwise) in the salary number.

LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4174/Amobi-Okoye)

However, since 2012 is the final year of his contract, there would definitely be a net reduction to cut him - there's never a situation where it will cost more to cut someone than to keep them if there's only a year left on the contract.

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I thought he had 2 years left in his contract, in his final year he gets an escalator for starting a certain amount of games, and that kicked in and that's why his salary is at 2.95 million(one of those freakin incentives), so you are right, it is now cheaper to cut him than keep him.

Edit: I found out why I messed up, if he had stayed on this season he has an option to extend his rookie contract 1 year if he wanted to.

Now I need to have him replaced on my previous post because I do think they'll cut him now. I think I'll just replace him with jamison

PockyAF
07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
According to LZ:

He said we're a lock to sign one of the 5 targets, yet you only listed 4 OP. Did you omitting one, or was the 5th one Cro, who's already being DQ'd?

I would be happy with any one of those 4, ecstatic if they were one of the first 3.

I would be alot more comfortable with our secondary, and defensive unit as a whole just by adding a competent starting CB to the line-up.

RCB: FA-CB
SS: Nolan/FA
FS: Quin
LCB: Allen/Jackson

Nickleback: Harris

Jackson, IMO, could be one of those two next year: A starter, or a dimeback. I think Harris is good enough to be our third right off the bat, and Allen played tremendous for us as a street FA. I like K-Jack, but he best bring it next year and solidify himself as a starter or the climb back to one of the starting CB position might be an extremely tough road.

If Harris takes off and play up to his potential, he will be a starter by the end of his third year; while having Allen manned that spot for the time being.

nero THE zero
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Assuming http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/yearly/ is accurate, The Salary for those above 48 (minus Allen and the rookies) is 64.734 million or 64,734,000 Now i just need to find a list of all the signing bonuses due this year ...

Edit: The only reason I believe the above number is correct is because I researched Wards new contract, and it was for 1.75 million total with a 825,000 signing bonus, which left 825,000 in salary which is what the link had. Also the only reason I believe the number is wrong is because Brian Russel isn't listed on the Texans Roster on their website

According to Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/player?r=1) Mario makes $13.8M next year.

Sportrac has him at $3.725M.

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
You know what fine, Can a mod delete my posts in this thread because SporTrac isn't even close, and I can't tell if Rotoworld adds in bonus or not because on some pages it makes it clear what the bonus is and others it doesn't

Mario Williams 2011 salary is a guaranteed 3.725 million unless this happened Williams can void the final two years of the deal based on playing time levels and if he and the team reach certain predetermined performance levels, but the Texans then have a right to buy back the voided 2010 and 2011 seasons at a cost of $8.5 million. which is entirely possible that it did, I'd have to do yet "more" research and I'm getting pretty tired

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2458925&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquar elli_len%26id%3d2458925 You need insider to view the full article to see the bottom where this info was located

Dutchrudder
07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
You know what fine, Can a mod delete my posts in this thread because SporTrac isn't even close, and I can't tell if Rotoworld adds in bonus or not because on some pages it makes it clear what the bonus is and others it doesn't

Mario Williams 2011 salary is a guaranteed 3.725 million unless this happened which is entirely possible that it did, I'd have to do yet "more" research and I'm getting pretty tired

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2458925&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquar elli_len%26id%3d2458925 You need insider to view the full article to see the bottom where this info was located

Here's the MW portion of that article.

League salary documents obtained by ESPN.com confirm the six-year contract signed last month by former North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the first selection in this year's draft by the Houston Texans, features a basic value of $54 million and a maximum worth, counting all possible bonuses, incentives and escalators, of $62.1 million.

The guaranteed money in the contract is initially $21.75 million, and then jumps to $26.5 million after the Texans exercise an option next spring.

And the signing bonus is zero.

That's right, folks, no signing bonus.

It is believed to be the first time in modern history that the top overall selection in a draft agreed to a deal with no signing bonus included. But that's hardly reason to pass around the collection basket for Williams. In fact, first-round contracts with no signing bonus money were frequently employed in 2005 as a means of countering collective bargaining agreement restrictions while still achieving the maximum value in most deals, and the trend almost certainly will continue this year.

The mechanism was certainly effective in 2005, when first-round choices garnered increases in guaranteed money of 10-20 percent over their 2004 counterparts. That despite the fact that exactly half of the 32 first-round picks signed contracts that paid them no signing bonus money. In virtually every case last year, players who signed contracts that included no signing bonus were able to improve their deals' total guarantees.

Only two first-rounders -- Cleveland wide receiver Braylon Edwards and Chicago tailback Cedric Benson -- received signing bonuses of more than $3 million in 2005. Top overall choice Alex Smith, the former Utah quarterback chosen by the San Francisco 49ers, banked a signing bonus of just $1 million. Four of the top 10 picks last season -- Miami tailback Ronnie Brown (No. 2), Minnesota wide receiver Troy Williamson (No. 7), Arizona cornerback Antrel Rolle (No. 8) and Washington cornerback Carlos Rogers (No. 9) -- received no signing bonuses.

It didn't keep them from landing very good contracts, however, and it likely won't affect players chosen in the first round of this year's draft, either. The number that counts the most is guaranteed money, and in the case of zero-signing bonus contracts, the total hasn't been diminished by a lack of up front money.

In the case of Williams, he received a $2.625 million roster bonus on what essentially is a five-year deal with an option for a sixth season. Under the terms of the contract, the base salaries for the first five years -- $275,000 (2006), $3.625 million (2007), $4.35 million (2008), $5.075 million (2009) and $5.8 million (2010) -- are fully guaranteed. That totals $21.75 million in guarantees.

But the guarantees escalate to $26.5 million next spring, when the Texans pay Williams $12 million to exercise their option for a sixth season on the contract. By exercising the option, the Texans reduce the salaries in Years 2-5 of the contract -- to $975,000 (2007), $1.575 million (2008), $2.3 million (2009) and $3.025 million (2010) -- and add the 2011 season at a base salary of $3.725 million. All the base salaries are guaranteed, bringing the total guaranteed money to $26.5 million.

Williams can void the final two years of the deal based on playing time levels and if he and the team reach certain predetermined performance levels, but the Texans then have a right to buy back the voided 2010 and 2011 seasons at a cost of $8.5 million. There are plenty of incentives, like $125,000 in most years for leading the league in sacks, bonuses for honors and playoff victories, and escalators that can raise the base salaries in 2010 and 2011 by $6 million and $9.5 million, respectively.

But mostly there is a lot of money, even if none of it is delivered in the form of a traditional signing bonus, and the Williams contract is certain to be a template of sorts for many more first-round deals.

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
The escalators for probowls and most likely starts is where the extra 9.5 million is coming from then

Big Lou
07-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't believe anything on what our cap is at right now. I have rarely seen accurate cap figures from anyone. Managing the cap is like a ancient dark art. I've seen big spending teams that allegedly had no cap room make huge splashes in FA, I don't have any example other than the Redskins on the top of my mind. I won't believe anything on the cap, what I will believe is what I see when a Press Conference is held on the Mothership announcing who ever the hell is signed, until them I'm going to think in my make believe land that we sign Aso as #1, Joseph as our #2, and Sensabaugh all on day one with enough left over to resign Leach, and another solid WR to compete with KB and JJ, so until then "nananananananananananananananananaaaa" (Finger in ears to block out anyone offering verbal reasoning why this is impossible!!).

XI CMURDER IX
07-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million

These figures were in February, and didn't factor in a couple of things. Such as franchise tags, and restricted free-agents. Since we had Pollard on the roster then, for example, it would have been shown in that figure. We don't have him any longer, so correct me if I am wrong, but that won't show up against our cap when we can sign players.

Ole Miss Texan
07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
These figures were in February, and didn't factor in a couple of things. Such as franchise tags, and restricted free-agents. Since we had Pollard on the roster then, for example, it would have been shown in that figure. We don't have him any longer, so correct me if I am wrong, but that won't show up against our cap when we can sign players.

Players that are cut/released could still count against a team's cap going forward, if the term of their contract extends last season (dead money). In Pollard's case, I'm pretty sure he signed a 1 year deal for the 2010 season, thus nothing is due this coming season.

If however he had signed a 3 year deal last season with a $3 million signing bonus and $1 million salary each season (3 years, $6 million) then he would still count against the cap. The signing bonus would have been prorated, or count $1 million against the cap in each year. If the player was cut the $2 million in signing bonus left would count against this year's cap in full (not $1M this season and $1M next season) even though he's not on the team. The salary is not guaranteed so the $2 million in salary would not be paid to him and would not count against the cap.

With Pollard's contract not going into this coming season, he should have no effect on our cap situation. I'm not sure about any players that we have cut that would still have been under contract. Does anyone know if we have any dead money right now?

DX-TEX
07-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Was just watching NFL Network and they were talking to a player agent. He stated you cant use last years salary numbers because a lot of teams used the uncapped year to pay off bonus's and such and they are more under the purposed cap than known.

:spin::spin:

Big Lou
07-20-2011, 05:11 PM
I find these Cap Figures hard to believe:

Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ry-cap-figures

Is Tampa's figure just for Kellen Winslow alone?????

Allstar
07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't you guys remember Tampa cutting absolutely everyone but Ronde a couple years back?

dalemurphy
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Was just watching NFL Network and they were talking to a player agent. He stated you cant use last years salary numbers because a lot of teams used the uncapped year to pay off bonus's and such and they are more under the purposed cap than known.

:spin::spin:

The Texans are in good shape cap-wise. The only big numbers are: AJ, Schaub, and Mario. Mario and Schaub can be restructed to save millions and millions of dollars. Also, my guess is that a lot of these cap number figures include Pollard, A.Davis, E. Wilson, etc... The Texans, if they desire, can easily add $15 million worth of free agents to the team.

Big Lou
07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
The Texans are in good shape cap-wise. The only big numbers are: AJ, Schaub, and Mario. Mario and Schaub can be restructed to save millions and millions of dollars. Also, my guess is that a lot of these cap number figures include Pollard, A.Davis, E. Wilson, etc... The Texans, if they desire, can easily add $15 million worth of free agents to the team.

With $15 million we can sign Aso and maybe one more starter depending on how the deal is structured. Yikes.

Thanks dalemurphy!!!

badboy
07-20-2011, 08:52 PM
I find these Cap Figures hard to believe:

Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ry-cap-figures

Is Tampa's figure just for Kellen Winslow alone?????Link not found. Please tey again and re-post as I'm interested in what link says about Houston

badboy
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
With $15 million we can sign Aso and maybe one more starter depending on how the deal is structured. Yikes.

Thanks dalemurphy!!!Big Lou here is a post on Teans cap I posted on another thread. Hope you find it useful:
Ok first there are too many links for me to provide for each of my "facts" but this is for your info only and is close as I could find. The way I did this was to google search 2010 salaries and that total was $82,349,500 but did not include some players which I researched and posted. Of course, most players will get a boost but I can't find that easily. May later search each player I expect to be on 2011 roster minus 2011 draft selections but that is a lot more work.

2011: Not included

Ben Tate: $405,000
Kevin Walter: $3m
Wade Smith: $1,750,000
K. Jackson:$2,620,000 did u know signed 5 yr $13.1m & 10m guranteed?
T. Holliday: $471,000
B. Cushing: $2,800,000
J Casey: $485,000
A. Caldwell: $638,000
* players= $12,169,000 +82,349,500=94,518,500

This does not include 2011 picks as not under contract or our own FA or difference in increase to 2011.

$120m proposed 2011 cap- $94, 518,000 = $25,482,000 below.

Players listed on link in the $82,349,500 that I believe are no longer on roster & subtracted out are:
Eugene Wilson: $3,770,000
Bernard Pollard:$2,550,000
Matt Leinert: $2,485,000
Dan Orslovsky:$2,250,000
Chris Brown: $ 643,000
Jacoby Jones: $ 550,000
Demps: $ 470,000
Jesse Nading: $ 470,000 (not sure if on roster)
D. Pressley: $ 470,000
Total: 13,658,000

$94,518,000 -$13,658,000= $80,860,000 or $39,140,000 below.

Players on 2011 roster I could cut if NEEDED to bring in free agents.
Brian Russell (s) $3,000,000
Andre Davis (wr)$4,700,000
Jason Allen (cb) $1,270,000 above three are $9m
Okoye (dt) $ 765,000
C. Studdard (og) $ 550,000
D. Barber (s) $ 475,000
S. Kegler (lb) $ 550,000
Eric Mouldin(cb) $ 470,000
Steve Slaton(rb) $ 470,000
Bryce McMain(cb)$ ? missed this one but could cut.
Total: $12,250,000
$80,860,000- $12,250,000 = $68,610,000 or $51,390,000 below

**Note, these are salaries only & not true cap hits but there is plenty of wiggle room.

I am sure errors will be found or players overlooked or maybe I'm just missing the entire boat but I have been all wet before.

I do realize some of above are cheap and trained in system & maybe worth more than signing other players to reach roster limit.

HoustonFrog
07-20-2011, 09:27 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

If the Texans are serious about making a run at a CB in free agency, there will have to be cap casualties. My money is on Okoye being cut

On Aso

@ @LBSports Just don't see the money under the cap to make it happen

Nawzer
07-20-2011, 09:48 PM
I think Jonathan Joseph is more likely to sign with us over Nmadi Asomugha.

TEXANRED
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

On Aso

I agree on AO.

You could always structure Aso's cap back ended right?

Texan_Bill
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I would take any extra cap money to pay AJ extra for punching Innegan in the face again..... Not saying, just sayin'!!!!

badboy
07-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Edit: The only reason I believe the above number is correct is because I researched Wards new contract, and it was for 1.75 million total with a 825,000 signing bonus, which left 825,000 in salary which is what the link had. Also the only reason I believe the number is wrong is because Brian Russel isn't listed on the Texans Roster on their websiteIt also has Mario's at 3 3/4 million when it is almost $14m

badboy
07-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Here is some recent info I just found hope it helps.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/770359-amobi-okoye-and-steve-slaton-possible-casualties-of-the-texans-salary-cap

Basically says Slaton & Okoye equal a bit over $4m. I'd lie to get somethingfor both in a draft pick but think Smith has talked to other GMs and knows not much there. I think if we see these two cut ASAP that would be a positive towards FA.

TEXANRED
07-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Here is some recent info I just found hope it helps.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/770359-amobi-okoye-and-steve-slaton-possible-casualties-of-the-texans-salary-cap

Basically says Slaton & Okoye equal a bit over $4m. I'd lie to get somethingfor both in a draft pick but think Smith has talked to other GMs and knows not much there. I think if we see these two cut ASAP that would be a positive towards FA.

Doesn't their unpaid signing bonus still count against the cap? Anybody know what the cap hit is if we cut them?

Lucky
07-20-2011, 10:42 PM
I dont care if they have to cut/restructure half the team. I just want to see them sign a true #1 CB.

This is something the Texans should have prepared for. If the near-to-the-cap situation is true.
Doesn't their unpaid signing bonus still count against the cap? Anybody know what the cap hit is if we cut them?
Yes, and their cap hits would be collectively about $2 million. So the Texans would save around $2 million on the cap ($4 million salary - $2 million dead money) by cutting Okoye & Slaton. Almost enough to cover Leach, anyway.

badboy
07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Doesn't their unpaid signing bonus still count against the cap? Anybody know what the cap hit is if we cut them?Yep but that figure is included in above. My info is Slaton's 2011 salary base is $470,000 & Okoye's $765,000. He had a huge guarantee of over $10m with another $3m possible thsat he did not earn as I understand. Neither's base is counted against cap if cut as not guaranteed but last year of bonus would count. SO I don't see how that saves much of cap space. LZ knows more than I do though.

edo783
07-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Both Shefter & LaConfor are reporting that teams will be able to spend well above the CAP. Not sure how that will work, but I THINK some of it will be that dead money wont count, just real money. That way when teams spend the 90% of CAP room it will have to be real dollars. Plus, I think there is some sort of exemption. LaConfor made the statement that "The rich will get richer". Meaning the teams that have CASH will be able to spend it. Going to be interesting to see what the heck the deal really is.

Allstar
07-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Honestly, GMs don't even know how the new cap works yet, so a bunch of idiots like us talking about it is most likely pointless.

El Tejano
07-21-2011, 08:14 AM
We are going to get a Kevin Walter type signing probably.

El Tejano
07-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Looks like we will still have to compete with San Diego for Weddle.

Chargers | Bringing back Eric Weddle a priority
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:40:42 -0700

The San Diego Chargers are expected to see re-signing impending free-agent FS Eric Weddle as one of their priorities once the lockout is over.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: ESPN.com - Bill Williamson

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1SkM10pQm

DocBar
07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Looks like we will still have to compete with San Diego for Weddle.

Chargers | Bringing back Eric Weddle a priority
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:40:42 -0700

The San Diego Chargers are expected to see re-signing impending free-agent FS Eric Weddle as one of their priorities once the lockout is over.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: ESPN.com - Bill Williamson

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1SkM10pQm

One potential positive is that we have damn near as explosive an offense and our D, imo, has fewer holes to fill. Couple that with Wade and his record of turning around bad defenses, you just might have a selling point and an opportunity for Weddle to really shine. At least that's my :spin: on the subject. LOL

nero THE zero
07-21-2011, 08:56 AM
The new CBA will SHOCK the football world. The media and fans are going to blown away once the information comes out.

@
@SigmundBloom cap? what cap?

No excuses, Rick.

TheMatrix31
07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
W t f

texanfan2002114
07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Current Cap situation posted by ESPN last night. Our Texans are $7.6m under the cap

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

Cap situations*
Team Status
Arizona $37.3 million under
Atlanta $13.9 million under
Baltimore $5.33 million under
Buffalo $35.9 million under
Carolina $30.6 million under
Chicago $37. million under
Cincinnati $35.9 million under
Cleveland $33.3 million under
Dallas $18.9 million over
Denver $1 million under
Detroit $16.6 million under
Green Bay $62,600 under
Houston $7.6 million under
Indianapolis $2.7 million over
Jacksonville $31.4 million under
Kansas City $34.3 million under
Miami $13.6 million under
Minnesota $5.1 million over
New England $7.57 million under
New Orleans $11.7 million under
N.Y. Giants $11.3 million over
N.Y. Jets $1.2 million over
Oakland $10 million over
Philadelphia $13 million under
Pittsburgh $10 million over
San Diego $19.4 million under
San Francisco $18.9 million under
Seattle $39 million under
St. Louis $35.6 million under
Tampa Bay $59.2 million under
Tennessee $10.3 million under
Washington $10.6 million under
*Does not include restricted free-agent

GP
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
We're screwed. Period.

If there was a TRUE cap, we had a small chance at cutting some dead weight, restructuring a few contracts, and MAYBE being able to take a shot at Aso.

But this is going to be great for the Cowboys, Redskins, and other spend-happy owners who were tied down by the cap. I don't see Bob McNair over-reaching JUST to beat out the big boys of the NFL.

We're absolutely screwed. If the cap report is true, we might not even get the 2nd or 3rd best CB out there. Damn.

nero THE zero
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
We're screwed. Period.

If there was a TRUE cap, we had a small chance at cutting some dead weight, restructuring a few contracts, and MAYBE being able to take a shot at Aso.

But this is going to be great for the Cowboys, Redskins, and other spend-happy owners who were tied down by the cap. I don't see Bob McNair over-reaching JUST to beat out the big boys of the NFL.

We're absolutely screwed. If the cap report is true, we might not even get the 2nd or 3rd best CB out there. Damn.

NFL News: "The Texans look to have little room to maneuver with a $120M cap."

GP: "OMG! We will never get a good CB we don't even have enough money to sign our own players. We're so screwed! OMG!"

NFL News: "Looks like the owners have negotiated a deal that allows teams willing to spend money the ability to do so without punishing them or veteran players who might otherwise be cut."

GP: "OMG! We are so screwed! We have no repercussions for our cap number. Now we will never get a CB! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Heh. Take a deep breath and relax.

GP
07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
NFL News: "The Texans look to have little room to maneuver with a $120M cap."

GP: "OMG! We will never get a good CB we don't even have enough money to sign our own players. We're so screwed! OMG!"

NFL News: "Looks like the owners have negotiated a deal that allows teams willing to spend money the ability to do so without punishing them or veteran players who might otherwise be cut."

GP: "OMG! We are so screwed! We have no repercussions for our cap number. Now we will never get a CB! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Heh. Take a deep breath and relax.

Laugh all you want.

Show me where history has shown we are going to be able to outbid the teams like Dallas or Washington. Those two owners are spend-happy.

My first reaction was one of "well, we don't have room to maneuver." My second reaction was one of 'Well, now that we have room to maneuver...we can't outbid the other guys."

But in all of that, there still remains the issue of Bob's inclination to be save-happy rather than spend-happy.

This new wrinkle, IMO, is not good for us. We had a better shot if there had been a true cap and teams had to abide by it.

Just playing the odds, that's all.

nero THE zero
07-21-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't know of an instance where we have ever been in direct competition with Dallas or Washington for a player. And, if that was the case, it's possible that Jones or Snyder would outbid Bob for a player.

But, Bob has shown he is willing to spend money. He has been consistently at or around the cap. He has given out lucrative contracts, albeit to unworthy players.

His MO isn't to be "save happy," it is to be prudent. Especially given some of the bad contracts he has given out. But, he has a history or giving large contracts and the Texans have shown self-awareness of the poor secondary.

When multiple media members are saying that they are being told from people within the organization that the secondary is going to be addressed, and the most well connected guy in the city says it will be for a top 5 CB, it looks comical when someone goes chicken little.

El Tejano
07-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Eagles | Nnamdi Asomugha would be a bad fit?
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:48:09 -0700

Although the thought of free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha (Raiders) teaming up with Philadelphia Eagles CB Asante Samuel is certainly intriguing, it is not sensible for the team to sign Asomugha from a philosophical or schematic standpoint. The Eagles traditionally give out big deals to young players approaching their primes, and Asomugha's age (30) makes it very likely he is on the backside of his career. Also, the Eagles are reportedly moving away from the blitz-happy approach of former defensive coordinator Jim Johnson in favor of more zone-based coverage. Given Asomugha's reputation as a man-to-man defender, it doesn't make sense to join a team that will not play to his strengths.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1SksWGT9R

DocBar
07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't know of an instance where we have ever been in direct competition with Dallas or Washington for a player. And, if that was the case, it's possible that Jones or Snyder would outbid Bob for a player.

But, Bob has shown he is willing to spend money. He has been consistently at or around the cap. He has given out lucrative contracts, albeit to unworthy players.

His MO isn't to be "save happy," it is to be prudent. Especially given some of the bad contracts he has given out. But, he has a history or giving large contracts and the Texans have shown self-awareness of the poor secondary.

When multiple media members are saying that they are being told from people within the organization that the secondary is going to be addressed, and the most well connected guy in the city says it will be for a top 5 CB, it looks comical when someone goes chicken little.Jerimiah Trotter. FWIW, I don't fine McNair to be cheap.

DX-TEX
07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
IMO, I think Bob may have finally realised the amount of **** he stirred up in the citys NFL fans when he brought back Kubiak after last years implosion. He knows he must have Gary produce a winner or start feeling the fans wrath where it hurts the most: his wallet. He will give this team every tool it wants and needs to give Gary his best shot.

Doppelganger
07-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I would take any extra cap money to pay AJ extra for punching Innegan in the face again..... Not saying, just sayin'!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBT6MygnKKw

XI CMURDER IX
07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Trade Okoye and you get some money back for that, too. I think there might be a couple of players that I wouldn't mind cutting or trading to save some extra money.

djohn2oo8
07-21-2011, 12:25 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
John Clayton reports that NFL owners have been told by league to be prepared to vote on new CBA between 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
21 minutes ago

El Tejano
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Is this good news?

SteveSlaton20
07-21-2011, 07:50 PM
ike taylor is old, but he only allowed one TD all year.

badboy
07-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Current Cap situation posted by ESPN last night. Our Texans are $7.6m under the cap

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

Cap situations*
Team Status
Arizona $37.3 million under
Atlanta $13.9 million under
Baltimore $5.33 million under
Buffalo $35.9 million under
Carolina $30.6 million under
Chicago $37. million under
Cincinnati $35.9 million under
Cleveland $33.3 million under
Dallas $18.9 million over
Denver $1 million under
Detroit $16.6 million under
Green Bay $62,600 under
Houston $7.6 million under
Indianapolis $2.7 million over
Jacksonville $31.4 million under
Kansas City $34.3 million under
Miami $13.6 million under
Minnesota $5.1 million over
New England $7.57 million under
New Orleans $11.7 million under
N.Y. Giants $11.3 million over
N.Y. Jets $1.2 million over
Oakland $10 million over
Philadelphia $13 million under
Pittsburgh $10 million over
San Diego $19.4 million under
San Francisco $18.9 million under
Seattle $39 million under
St. Louis $35.6 million under
Tampa Bay $59.2 million under
Tennessee $10.3 million under
Washington $10.6 million under
*Does not include restricted free-agent120- 7.6= 112.4 another completed unsubstantiated number. Chuckle, at least I tell you where my numbers come from. Anyway, let's go with it for now.

$7.6 m available
3.0 m can be borrowed from a future year
2.0 m saved from cutting Okoye and Slaton(bonus still counts this year)
3.0 m cut safety Brian Russell
4.7 m cut WR Andre Davis
1.2 m cut CB Jason Allen
.5 m cut OG Casey Studdard (round down from 550,000)
.5 m cut S D. Barber (round up from 470,000)
.870 cut Mouldin ($470,000) and Brice McCain ($405,000)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
$23.4 million for Asomugha and safety of your choice.

Use the $3.5m allowed over the cap to re-sign Leach or a #2 WR.

Corrosion
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
$7.6 m available
4.7 m cut WR Andre Davis
1.2 m cut CB Jason Allen

I can go for moving , cutting Okoye and Slaton.
Brian Russell wont make the roster.
We can cut Andre Davis too.
Mouldin ? Sure , Barber ? Maybe so ....

Jason Allen , Casey Studdard and Brice McCain ? ..... Nope. They gotta stay.

:texanbill:

badboy
07-21-2011, 10:07 PM

:texanbill:Seriously? If you sign Asomugha and a starting FS (say Weddell just as a name) with Quin back up FS or move him to safety to #2 per Phillips with Nolan & the SS we just drafted backing up.

Okay, go with your position & add apprx $3m back and still go after Aso.

Studdard? I have to ask again, you serious? Replace him with Smith we drafted 2 seasons ago and was on PS last season. We still have Briesel, Caldwell and Smith. Got to take a risk and go big sometime.

Maybe your bouncing dude means you are joking?

Corrosion
07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Seriously? If you sign Asomugha and a starting FS (say Weddell just as a name) with Quin back up FS or move him to safety to #2 per Phillips with Nolan & the SS we just drafted backing up.

Okay, go with your position & add apprx $3m back and still go after Aso.

Studdard? I have to ask again, you serious? Replace him with Smith we drafted 2 seasons ago and was on PS last season. We still have Briesel, Caldwell and Smith. Got to take a risk and go big sometime.

Maybe your bouncing dude means you are joking?

I wasnt jokin .... most of those players contributions are on ST .... cant forget about that part of the game.

Studdard for Smith .... I can go for that but , the savings is so small that they might as well attempt to restructure other deals and keep the roster intact.

I still think they find a way to make Asomugha a Texan.

thunderkyss
07-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Do the rookie salaries have to fit under the cap?

Corrosion
07-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Do the rookie salaries have to fit under the cap?

Yes!

Vinnie
07-22-2011, 07:36 AM
According to LZ this morning on the radio they don't actually have to fit under the cap until year three of the new CBA, so essentially years one and two are uncapped. Just got to make it work right in 2013.

XI CMURDER IX
07-22-2011, 10:53 AM

:texanbill:

Brian Russell? He hasn't played for us since 2009! :kitten:

Good luck cutting him haha!

Oh and by the way, we can't cut Andre Davis. Unless you want to lose 6 million dollars or so in dead money.

Brandon420tx
07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Andre Davis isn't on the team either

XI CMURDER IX
07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Andre Davis isn't on the team either

He was on injured reserve last year. I don't think we had an injury settlement so I am pretty sure he will still be on the team this year.

ChampionTexan
07-22-2011, 01:02 PM
He was on injured reserve last year. I don't think we had an injury settlement so I am pretty sure he will still be on the team this year.

He was released on 2/18 of this year

Texans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html)
NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=2&transactionYear=2011&transactionTeamAbbr=&prevTransactionMonth=0&prevTransactionYear=0&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=)

XI CMURDER IX
07-22-2011, 04:12 PM
He was released on 2/18 of this year

Texans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/transactions.html)
NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=2&transactionYear=2011&transactionTeamAbbr=&prevTransactionMonth=0&prevTransactionYear=0&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=)

That makes me feel a little bit better inside! We will never have to live with him again, hopefully! :spin:

badboy
07-22-2011, 09:12 PM
I wasnt jokin .... most of those players contributions are on ST .... cant forget about that part of the game.

Studdard for Smith .... I can go for that but , the savings is so small that they might as well attempt to restructure other deals and keep the roster intact.

I still think they find a way to make Asomugha a Texan.FYI, 610 radio "odd couple" Warner had Studdard on today & Warner said he will be eslewhere. Studdard "wants to be a Texan" but willing to move on. Said all right things. I am really not too interested in backup Olinemen playing special teams

badboy
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
According to LZ this morning on the radio they don't actually have to fit under the cap until year three of the new CBA, so essentially years one and two are uncapped. Just got to make it work right in 2013.

i have not seen this anywhere.

Allstar
07-22-2011, 09:15 PM
FYI, 610 radio "odd couple" Warner had Studdard on today & Warner said he will be eslewhere. Studdard "wants to be a Texan" but willing to move on. Said all right things. I am really not too interested in backup Olinemen playing special teams

Wrong thread?

badboy
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
The point is we only have salary information from 2009 and all players I mention were on that roster. If everyone is gonna use that number, then we can lower said number if guys salaries are subtracted off. That is the point I was making about John McClain use of $7 million below new cap of $120million and how he arrived at that amount..

badboy
07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Wrong thread?No, right thread. Corrosion & I were discussing my post #96 page 5 about cutting Casey Studdard's $1/2 million from 2009 salary cap number. He thinks Studdard should remain as cheap salary & a ST player. I disagreed.

MeLoveTexans
07-22-2011, 09:31 PM
i have not seen this anywhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/looking-at-how-salary-cap-flexibility-will-work-in-2011/

Not uncapped, but some flexibility

Allstar
07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
No, right thread. Corrosion & I were discussing my post #96 page 5 about cutting Casey Studdard's $1/2 million from 2009 salary cap number. He thinks Studdard should remain as cheap salary & a ST player. I disagreed.

Woops, my bad. Thread title is about CBs and I saw you start talking about an OL. I should keep better track of these things.

buddyboy
07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
120- 7.6= 112.4 another completed unsubstantiated number. Chuckle, at least I tell you where my numbers come from. Anyway, let's go with it for now.

$7.6 m available
4.7 m cut WR Andre Davis
1.2 m cut CB Jason Allen

Cutting the players playing for .5m seems excessive. They're working on the cheap already, and you'll still have to sign SOMEONE to take their place on the roster. Depth and ST are important.

badboy
07-22-2011, 10:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/looking-at-how-salary-cap-flexibility-will-work-in-2011/

Not uncapped, but some flexibilityI was talking about rookies not having to fit under cap this year. I should have clarified. Thanks for posting but I was aware of this info. I think teams can only borrow $3million this year from one future year. In 2012, borrow $1.5 m from a differnet future year. I also think the $3m that will be allowed over cap as "player benefits" is to keep one of our own vets & can not be combined with an offer for another team's free agent like Asomugha for example. I am not clear on this as language I've seen just says "vet".

badboy
07-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Cutting the players playing for .5m seems excessive. They're working on the cheap already, and you'll still have to sign SOMEONE to take their place on the roster. Depth and ST are important.

Understand your point but the cut was 2 players that total one million which is insignificant by itself but added to remaining cuts give an impressive total. Give me a superstar like Nnamdi Asomugha and I'll find another player already on roster to play ST. Any way seems like Studdard will not be brought back ( see my earlier post). Remember Casey was behind Caldwell, Smith and Briesel & maybe would have been beaten out by the Smith on PS for OG.

SteveSlaton20
07-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans are in desperate need of a shutdown corner. Asomugha's suffocating bump-and-run skills are ideally suited for Wade Phillips’ aggressive system. If the Texans are willing to cough up the capital to bring him into the fold, this will be the marquee signing of free agency.

Bad Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
The thought of Asomugha teaming up with Asante Samuel is certainly intriguing, but it is not sensible from a philosophical or schematic standpoint. The Eagles traditionally give out big deals to young players approaching their primes, and Asomugha's age (30) makes it very likely he is on the backside of his career. Also, the Eagles are reportedly moving away from the blitz-happy approach of the late Jim Johnson in favor of more zone-based coverage. Given Asomugha's reputation as a man-to-man defender, it doesn’t make sense to join a team that will not play to his strengths.

--------
Ike Taylor, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
Taylor isn't regarded as a shutdown corner in most circles, but he is effective in a zone-based system. With the Eagles transitioning into a two-deep scheme, Taylor would be a nice complement to Asante Samuel. Although his advanced age (31) is an issue, he is a much cheaper option than Nnamdi Asomugha and a better fit in their new scheme.

Bad Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans need a No. 1 cornerback to anchor their defense. While Taylor is good, he's not capable of shutting down one side of the field or engaging in isolated match-ups on a down-by-down basis. If the Texans break the bank for Taylor, they will soon find out he is a poor fit for their needs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820df5a3/article/best-worst-fits-for-asomugha-holmes-other-free-agents?module=HP11_hot_topics

DocBar
07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans are in desperate need of a shutdown corner. Asomugha's suffocating bump-and-run skills are ideally suited for Wade Phillipsí aggressive system. If the Texans are willing to cough up the capital to bring him into the fold, this will be the marquee signing of free agency.

Bad Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
The thought of Asomugha teaming up with Asante Samuel is certainly intriguing, but it is not sensible from a philosophical or schematic standpoint. The Eagles traditionally give out big deals to young players approaching their primes, and Asomugha's age (30) makes it very likely he is on the backside of his career. Also, the Eagles are reportedly moving away from the blitz-happy approach of the late Jim Johnson in favor of more zone-based coverage. Given Asomugha's reputation as a man-to-man defender, it doesnít make sense to join a team that will not play to his strengths.

--------
Ike Taylor, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
Taylor isn't regarded as a shutdown corner in most circles, but he is effective in a zone-based system. With the Eagles transitioning into a two-deep scheme, Taylor would be a nice complement to Asante Samuel. Although his advanced age (31) is an issue, he is a much cheaper option than Nnamdi Asomugha and a better fit in their new scheme.

Bad Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans need a No. 1 cornerback to anchor their defense. While Taylor is good, he's not capable of shutting down one side of the field or engaging in isolated match-ups on a down-by-down basis. If the Texans break the bank for Taylor, they will soon find out he is a poor fit for their needs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820df5a3/article/best-worst-fits-for-asomugha-holmes-other-free-agents?module=HP11_hot_topics

Couldn't have said it better myself. Make Aso an offer he can't refuse. We can use him as a player and a mentor to our young db's. I think we have a nice stable of young db's that need an outstanding veteran to show them the ropes and augment the coaching (which will hopefully be much better than in years past) they receive.

The Pencil Neck
07-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Not sure this is the right thread, but multiple sources are saying that cap number isn't $120 Million but $140 Million.

badboy
07-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Not sure this is the right thread, but multiple sources are saying that cap number isn't $120 Million but $140 Million.This is where I have itr pegged + $3m for a vet (cash benefit) + option to borrow $3m. This is what Lance Zerline was refering to imo.

badboy
07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I Like "J-Mac"s Position On This one: Too Much Worrying Over Nothing... If the Raiders aren’t active players in free agency, it won’t be because of the salary cap…..It won’t stop the flood of "Raiders in trouble against the cap" stories, despite historical evidence to the contrary.

Does anyone remember before the the uncapped season how the Raiders would routinely have these huge overages against the salary cap _ as high as $40 or $50 million _ and then magically be under the cap and still be players in the free agent market?

It happened almost every year. Raiders cap strapped. Raiders make splash in free agency.

It made sense, because they routinely entered the free agent market by playing the salary cap the way people refinance their homes. They simply extended contracts to their top players, cut their salaries to the minimum and spread bonus money out over the life of the deal to lessen the cap hit.

Brown did it almost every season. There’s a certain amount of dead money created, but it isn’t difficult to keep playing the cap game and pushing debt into the next season without ever really being accountable or losing a chance to sign someone.

The Pencil Neck
07-23-2011, 02:15 PM
This is where I have itr pegged + $3m for a vet (cash benefit) + option to borrow $3m. This is what Lance Zerline was refering to imo.

In Texan Chick's blog, McNair referred to 140M and on a crawl on either NFLN or CNN, it said 140M.

Allstar
07-23-2011, 02:17 PM
there are over 20 million dollars in benefits in addition to the cap. That's where you get the $140~ mil

badboy
07-23-2011, 02:18 PM
In Texan Chick's blog, McNair referred to 140M and on a crawl on either NFLN or CNN, it said 140M.Missed that thanks.

badboy
07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
there are over 20 million dollars in benefits in addition to the cap. That's where you get the $140~ milTrue but not where I think it will be. Too many teams are over cap & while they want reduced costs, what NFL owner can control himself?

edo783
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Not sure this is the right thread, but multiple sources are saying that cap number isn't $120 Million but $140 Million.

Cap @ $120 Mill + $20 Mill of benefits = $140 Mill of total money being spent. That is what McNair is referring to.

thunderkyss
07-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Here is something I just saw on Taylor

Ike Taylor, cornerback (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820ec488/article/teams-would-be-better-off-avoiding-some-free-agents?module=HP11_content_stream)

Here's a case of a solid player thriving in a system that suits his skills. Taylor is not a lockdown corner with the ability to excel in any scheme. He struggles when forced to consistently play man coverage, and is incapable of snuffing out an opponent's No.1 receiver in one-on-one matchups.

Taylor has been effective in the Steelers' zone-blitz system, but his lack of ball skills (11 career interceptions) and awareness will show up if he leaves the confines the scheme. Considering he's also 31 and likely past his prime, teams would be wise to avoid making a major financial commitment to Taylor.

El Tejano
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Pretty much what Nero The Zero was saying about Steeler Defenders.

TheMatrix31
07-25-2011, 09:13 AM
What should be the hashtag? #nnamditohouston?

infantrycak
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM

I have a real good friend who is a diehard Steeler fan. He doesn't care if Taylor stays or goes and considers him a mediocre inconsistent player - 1 great game followed by 3 getting burnt.

Doppelganger
07-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a real good friend who is a diehard Steeler fan. He doesn't care if Taylor stays or goes and considers him a mediocre inconsistent player - 1 great game followed by 3 getting burnt.

And there it is. Ike Taylor here we come.

Playoffs
07-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Damn.

I had no idea we were that high on the cap list.

No Aso for sure, although I never thought he'd play in Houston.

Glad they're passing on Cromartie ... Joseph is the key, but I bet he gets overpaid elsewhere.

Looks like safety will be better target.

Texans are a little jammed up. :wadepalm:

TheMatrix31
07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Damn.

I had no idea we were that high on the cap list.

No Aso for sure, although I never thought he'd play in Houston.

Glad they're passing on Cromartie ... Joseph is the key, but I bet he gets overpaid elsewhere.

Texans are a little jammed up. :wadepalm:

No one knows anything about the money for sure.

texanmojo
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM
No one knows anything about the money for sure.

Just read that the cap is $142.4 million in 2011...which is way over what McClain was stating of 120 mill.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/07/25/nfl.deal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

An originally proposed agreement included a new rookie compensation system, a salary cap of $142.4 million per club in 2011 and additional retirement benefits, according to the NFL.

drs23
07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Just read that the cap is $142.4 million in 2011...which is way over what McClain was stating of 120 mill.

Which includes $32.4 mil in bennies = $120 million cap. Heard a week ago about a "soft" cap or no cap in the first two years but haven't heard a peep about it since.

Who knows? idonno:

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Some people are saying it's 120 million and then 20 million of various modifiers.

McNair said $142 million and so did NFLN.

But I'm unsure which it is. And I don't really care. One way or another, we've got to be aggressive in FA. If that means we need to cut some guys, I just hope we don't cut someone we need.

wildroot
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Well Dallas at 136.6 Mil has been talked about by Gil Brandt and others on Sirius as a likely landing spot for Aso. We're 16 mil below that so there's no reason we couldn't get him if we wanted to. None.

hot pickle
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
if aso signs with dallas i will puke! lol

Playoffs
07-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Ravens cut Todd Heap & Derrick Mason along with Will McGahee ..... making room for Aso???

Texecutioner
07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Ravens cut Todd Heap & Derrick Mason along with Will McGahee ..... making room for Aso???

Holy crap!!! That's 3 of their impact players with exception to Mcgahee. But when he runs with the ball he can still be effective. I knew that he would be cut due to his salary, but Mason is still effective for them for a #2 guy.

They must be going after Aso. They need a CB pretty bad and Flacco is pretty good now to carry an offense with sub par talent if their defense is good enough.

Rey
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Doesn't look like we are getting aso but I'm still holding out hope.

Just heard bob McNair basically talking about getting the most value for his money.

Sounded like he was on the "improve a bit in a lot of places" vs making a tremendous investment in one area.

Allstar
07-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Sounds like Baltimore has a plan.

Playoffs
07-25-2011, 07:02 PM
add defensive tackle Kelly Gregg on the street.

"They" said offers would come quick for Aso.

gary
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
I'd take Mason to play along side AJ though.

Nawzer
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I read on Lance Z's twitter that Rashard Butler will not be re-signed by the Texans. I would like to see Kelly Gregg play NT for us.

incubry
07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
:fingergun:Count Ike Taylor out of this one...

http://http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6806755/ike-taylor-agrees-four-year-deal-pittsburgh-steelers-source-says?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines[/URL]

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:49 PM
i read on lance z's twitter that rashard butler will not be re-signed by the texans. I would like to see kelly gregg play nt for us.fail

Allstar
07-26-2011, 11:27 PM
And then there was 3...

aussie_texan
07-26-2011, 11:43 PM
talk around the net saying that the lions and seahawks are battling it out for Joseph.

I bet the texans Mr X is going to be Aso OR Marshall AND Rogers

beerlover
07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I think we might have to re-examine this issue, who will the Texans actually wind up with may not be mentioned in title of this thread. Heavy manipulation still applies to a retro salary cap, teams who always seem to be factors find a loophole or way around issues that cause Texans to pause, then its too late.

I also feel that Wade Phillips opinion of players in free agency just like the draft will play a huge role. He was defensive coordinator in San Diego when the Chargers drafted Antonio Cromartie, who is a FA with Jets & if they sign Asomugha instead he might just be odd man out. To fill safety spot Wade could bring in Cowboy FA Gerald Sensabaugh. Both former players to fill positions of need w/experience in his 3-4 scheme.

mariowillshine15
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
I think we might have to re-examine this issue, who will the Texans actually wind up with may not be mentioned in title of this thread. Heavy manipulation still applies to a retro salary cap, teams who always seem to be factors find a loophole or way around issues that cause Texans to pause, then its too late.

I also feel that Wade Phillips opinion of players in free agency just like the draft will play a huge role. He was defensive coordinator in San Diego when the Chargers drafted Antonio Cromartie, who is a FA with Jets & if they sign Asomugha instead he might just be odd man out. To fill safety spot Wade could bring in Cowboy FA Gerald Sensabaugh. Both former players to fill positions of need w/experience in his 3-4 scheme.

They wouldn't be Aso but it's better than what we have.

Grams
None of the above.

We have faith in our goup of secondary. The "kids" will get it done.

:gun:

mariowillshine15
None of the above.

The only thing they'll get done is putting Kubes in the unemployment line.

Corrosion
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
None of the above.

Kubiak made that statement because he had no other choice ..... What did you expect him to say ?.....

"My GM ****ed me over and left me with a bunch of kids who couldnt cover a baby with a blanket on the back end , if you are looking for someone to blame he's your man."

No , you expect him to say exactly what he did ..... Otherwise , the confidence of those players is shot .... not to mention their giving it 100% for a coach who would throw them under the bus.

Wolf6151
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Doesn't look like we are getting aso but I'm still holding out hope.

Just heard bob McNair basically talking about getting the most value for his money.

Sounded like he was on the "improve a bit in a lot of places" vs making a tremendous investment in one area.

McNair says value and the fans hear CHEAP. Sounds like more of the usual from the Texans, go with the young guys we've already got. This should have gotten Kubiak fired last year.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
None of the above.

Well, its not like they could be any worse! They have nowhere to go but up!

Wow, I bet if I could say that with a straight face, I could get a job on Kubiak's staff!

HuttoKarl
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Wow, I bet if I could say that with a straight face, I could get a job on Kubiak's staff!

Could we pink soap you? :fingergun:

BIG TORO
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM

If we go even just a little up we can win a couple more games this season and be 8-8.:hurrah::hurrah::hurrah:

beerlover
07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
C'mon if Texans can keep the offense in tact, then add all these new weapons to the defense with a proven DC it's going to be better, one heck of a lot better :koolaid:

Allstar
07-27-2011, 05:25 PM
If we go even just a little up we can win a couple more games this season and be 8-8.:hurrah::hurrah::hurrah:

ugh, 8-8xans.

beerlover
07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
ugh, 8-8xans.

How about 9-7?

House of Pain
07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
How about 9-7?

We would throw a parade!

:hurrah::spin:

Allstar
07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
jamisonhensley Jamison Hensley
Source: #Ravens CB Josh Wilson agrees to deal with Redskins

Rey
07-27-2011, 05:56 PM
So much for the theory that the lower CB's are waiting for the big boys to sign.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
So much for the theory that the lower CB's are waiting for the big boys to sign.

You're right. None of the CBs are waiting for Aso to set the market. Josh Wilson is the proof.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 06:08 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Hearing rumblings the Raiders could be suitors for Antonio Cromartie. Corner market is very interesting

Texas T
07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Hearing rumblings the Raiders could be suitors for Antonio Cromartie. Corner market is very interesting

We really need to decide what we are going to do. If we keep waiting on Aso to make up his mind-noone will be left so all we'll have is the same 'ole same 'ole from last year.

welsh texan
07-27-2011, 06:17 PM
We really need to decide what we are going to do. If we keep waiting on Aso to make up his mind-noone will be left so all we'll have is the same 'ole same 'ole from last year.

I agree, seeing the Josh Wilson deal, he's a guy who would be an upgrade, not a huge upgrade but an upgrade none-the-less, and at a price that isn't going to hurt too much.

Add to that the fact that these are all handshakes and patted backs right now with nothing down on paper, surely they need to come to an agreement with somebody!?

One question, so we *might* have seen players such as Leinhart come to an agreement with a team and then seemingly walk away and sign to another, I take it the club can do the same if they wanted? Not that the Texans would be so underhanded as to do that.

Astew10112
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
lets get this started...

Nawzer
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
We need a punter.

FirstTexansFan
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
They'd have to sign all four to get me over not signing Aso.

Trap_Star
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
clements is garbage, there is a reason SF let him go. he's a meh tackler for a CB, and that's it.

give me JJ!

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Its been two full days and we haven't signed one of these CBs yet!

Fire Rick Smith!!!

:sarcasm:

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
clements is garbage, there is a reason SF let him go. he's a meh tackler for a CB, and that's it.

give me JJ!

He is a solid CB, but he is not worth 17 mil a year, which is what he would have gotten this year. That's why SF cut him.

Trap_Star
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
He is a solid CB, but he is not worth 17 mil a year, which is what he would have gotten this year. That's why SF cut him.

but yet they're willing to probably pay nnamdi the same a year, so it's not about the money.

he was asked to move to safety 2 years ago because of deteriorating cover skills and he just lol'd all over their FO. he's not what we need.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
The Clements report is false. As of right now he is still a 49er.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
but yet they're willing to probably pay nnamdi the same a year, so it's not about the money.

he was asked to move to safety 2 years ago because of deteriorating cover skills and he just lol'd all over their FO. he's not what we need.

Nmandi is worth 15-16 per year.

Clements is worth Josh Wilson money.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
The Clements report is false. As of right now he is still a 49er.

Technically he cant be released till tomorrow.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Technically he cant be released till tomorrow.

Still, the SF writer that broke the story apologized and said that the report was false.

Mr. White
07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
So our choices are Nnamdi or any some combination of Cromartie/Joseph/Clements/Rogers?

Reminds me of what my dad used to say....

Son, why are you trying to get a "10?" You should be trying to get two "5's."

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
We need a punter.

Thor has that covered.

LanceZierleinLance Zierlein

Joseph's agent is also DRob's RT @Htownfanatic: @LanceZierlein so it's looking more & more like cromartie or rogers? Joseph in play?

1 minute ago

Bye Bye Joseph.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Zepp1978Mike Kerns

@

@LanceZierlein That's what I figured. Think they'll be ready to throw that money at JJ if Nnamdi declines?

2 minutes ago

in reply to ↑

@LanceZierleinLance Zierlein

@Zepp1978 yes

3 minutes agovia TweetDeck

Better hurry. Clayton reporting Joseph decision comiing tonight.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Please please please Jonathan Joseph!!!!!!!

DocBar
07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Please please please Jonathan Joseph!!!!!!!

Because the Bengals have been known for their great pass D??? I'll pull for Joseph IF Aso signs elsewhere and not a moment sooner.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Because the Bengals have been known for their great pass D??? I'll pull for Joseph IF Aso signs elsewhere and not a moment sooner.

I'm just not counting on us getting Aso. The guy seems to be pulling a Chris Bosh. Seems like the type that may not want to be THE guy and really wants to play alongside another #1 CB. I hope I'm wrong though.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm just not counting on us getting Aso. The guy seems to be pulling a Chris Bosh. Seems like the type that may not want to be THE guy and really wants to play alongside another #1 CB. I hope I'm wrong though.That's an interesting opinion. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion considering he's been THE guy and, at worst, best CB 1a in the NFL for a few years. I seriously doubt confidence is an issue with Aso. Besides, playing for Oakland is, in and of itself, an "in the spotlight" proposition. Al Davis' team will always befront page news.

mugrakers
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
That's an interesting opinion. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion considering he's been THE guy and, at worst, best CB 1a in the NFL for a few years. I seriously doubt confidence is an issue with Aso. Besides, playing for Oakland is, in and of itself, an "in the spotlight" proposition. Al Davis' team will always befront page news.

Oakland hasn't mattered since the days of Rich Gannon. If anything, people have gone to Oakland to hide the past few years.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
That's an interesting opinion. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion considering he's been THE guy and, at worst, best CB 1a in the NFL for a few years. I seriously doubt confidence is an issue with Aso. Besides, playing for Oakland is, in and of itself, an "in the spotlight" proposition. Al Davis' team will always befront page news.

I disagree. The only time the Raiders are in the news is when there is a negative light on them, where Nnamdi is never involved.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM

I guess I don't really know why I get that idea. I just get a Chris Bosh vibe from him. I can't say I've ever really heard him talk much, so it isn't based on anything he has said. But like Bosh, he is coming from a crap team where he was basically the only player worth a damn and in the few comments he has made, he seems to REALLY like the idea of playing tag team along with another #1 CB like Bosh did.

But really it is just a feeling. Nothing factual to really base it on.

dalemurphy
07-27-2011, 08:52 PM
So our choices are Nnamdi or any some combination of Cromartie/Joseph/Clements/Rogers?

Reminds me of what my dad used to say....

also:

Brent Grimes, Eric Wright, Richard Marshall, Chris Carr, Kelly Jennings

Jackie Chiles
07-27-2011, 08:57 PM
also:

Brent Grimes, Eric Wright, Richard Marshall, Chris Carr, Kelly Jennings

I'm very high on Grimes but I have seen him referred to as a RFA so not so sure what kind of compensation would be required.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm very high on Grimes but I have seen him referred to as a RFA so not so sure what kind of compensation would be required.

Yeah I didn't realize he was available. If he is, I would LOVE to get Brent Grimes. He was IMO the reason why Dunta looked like such a good DB this year.

dalemurphy
07-27-2011, 08:59 PM

They tendered him before the lockout. He has over 4 years of NFL service, so he is an UFA. Atlanta has no rights to him.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure. He was signed as an UDFA in 2006 and played in NFL Europe. He was on the practice squad in 2007 but played 2 games for the Falcons that year. He played essentially full seasons the last three years. I've seen him listed as RFA and UDFA. So, I'm not sure how the league deals with his first two years. He may be a RFA- I'm not sure at this point.

Jackie Chiles
07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
They tendered him before the lockout. He has over 4 years of NFL service, so he is an UFA. Atlanta has no rights to him.

I want to believe that and it makes sense because 4 years should mean UFA. Check the link though:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?sort=grade&positionId=29

I also saw his name on the bottom line scroll of NFL network with the dreaded RFA tag.

gary
07-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah I didn't realize he was available. If he is, I would LOVE to get Brent Grimes. He was IMO the reason why Dunta looked like such a good DB this year.Dunte was burned badly in so many games last year.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Awesome!!! Well, I am feeling much better then.

Right now, I'd be thrilled if we got Nnamdi or a combination of Cromartie/Joseph/Grimes and a safety.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 09:11 PM

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure. He was signed as an UDFA in 2006 and played in NFL Europe. He was on the practice squad in 2007 but played 2 games for the Falcons that year. He played essentially full seasons the last three years. I've seen him listed as RFA and UDFA. So, I'm not sure how the league deals with his first two years. He may be a RFA- I'm not sure at this point.

Damn you!! :)

Dunte was burned badly in so many games last year.

Yup and would have looked much worse without Grimes.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Looks like the Johnathan Joseph decision is going overtime. Not going to happen tonite. Stay tuned

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah I didn't realize he was available. If he is, I would LOVE to get Brent Grimes. He was IMO the reason why Dunta looked like such a good DB this year.Were you watching the NFL Falcons? Dunta looked just as bad in Atlanta as he did in Houston. They just had better ways to compensate.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Were you watching the NFL Falcons? Dunta looked just as bad in Atlanta as he did in Houston. They just had better ways to compensate.

Then why are so many "analysts" calling the guy a top 15 NFL CB. For the record, I completely disagree and don't think he is really all that good at all, but he looked decent because of the help he had with the Falcons.

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 09:58 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Looks like the Johnathan Joseph decision is going overtime. Not going to happen tonite. Stay tuned

ClaytonESPN John Clayton
The holdup on Joseph is the wait for Nnamdi to set the market price. Everyone is in on all top cbs.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Then why are so many "analysts" calling the guy a top 15 NFL CB. For the record, I completely disagree and don't think he is really all that good at all, but he looked decent because of the help he had with the Falcons.You can't discount "name recognition" with these ANALysts.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 10:03 PM
You can't discount "name recognition" with these ANALysts.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Believe me, I can't stand Dunta. But you are delusional if you don't think Grimes is a much better DB than anyone the Texans ever had opposite of Dunta other than Aaron Glenn (which to make my point was the last time, IMO, that Dunta looked like a top tier NFL CB).

Rey
07-27-2011, 10:06 PM
The season dunta got injured he looked very good.

Dunta is at least around the ball most times if his man makes a catch.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
The season dunta got injured he looked very good.

Dunta is at least around the ball most times if his man makes a catch.

It just seems more often than not his man makes the catch. Not many pass deflections or interceptions by Dunta.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I hope we go hard for JJ if Nnamdi leaves us at the altar.

False Start
07-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Some guy with one tweet is saying the Texans have reached an agreement with Joseph... :heh: :ok:

redwhiteANDblue
07-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Some guy with one tweet is saying the Texans have reached an agreement with Joseph... :heh: :ok:

Please tell me that's not a joke? I just spilled my coffee reading that lol

HoustonFrog
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
From this morning

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/38355/59/were-just-getting-started

1. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha

Cornerback is free agency's deepest position, but there's a holdup. It's because Asomugha hasn't agreed to terms yet. The Jets and 49ers have been his most ardent pursuers, and the Texans also remain in the mix. Look for Asomugha's agent to broker a deal by this afternoon.

Prediction: Jets on a five-year, $65 million contract.

2. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph

Joseph is a ball-hawking "off-man" corner with elite talent but a checkered injury history. The Texans consider him a viable fall-back option if they don't land Asomugha, and it's reasonable to think the 49ers feel the same way. When Asomugha agrees to terms, Joseph will soon follow.

Prediction: Texans on a four-year, $33 million contract.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Texans looking at Danieal Manning?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/07/danieal_manning_drawing_interest_houston_texans_sa ints.html

DocBar
07-28-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you. Believe me, I can't stand Dunta. But you are delusional if you don't think Grimes is a much better DB than anyone the Texans ever had opposite of Dunta other than Aaron Glenn (which to make my point was the last time, IMO, that Dunta looked like a top tier NFL CB).I don't doubt that at all about Grimes. I think Dunta gets a lot of recognition for having been the best DB the Texans had for several years. As someone else stated, that's like being the worlds tallest midget.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I disagree. The only time the Raiders are in the news is when there is a negative light on them, where Nnamdi is never involved.I never meant nor implied that that the Raiders were in the news because of how great they play football. I agree that Nnamdi has been a model citizen.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2011/07/danieal_manning_drawing_interest_houston_texans_sa ints.html

Please, lord.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Well, he sure can close fast. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxflv-RxfRY) <-- Big Hit Video

I know the name but honestly haven't watched him enough to say whether I 'really' want him or not. Probably would be a good veteran pick up if we get Nnamdi/Joseph!!

Midway through the 2008 NFL season, Manning took over Devin Hester's duties as the team's kick returner. On December 11, 2008, he returned a kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown, making it the first regular season opening kickoff returned for a touchdown for the Bears since 1972.[2] A week before this touchdown, Manning picked off David Garrard's pass on the Jaguars opening drive, and returned it to the Jaguars five-yard line.[3]

Manning led the league in return average and number of 30+-yard returns, despite only starting half the season. Manning was Bears starting nickelback in 2008, and competed with Josh Bullocks, Corey Graham, Kevin Payne, and Craig Steltz for starting free safety.[4] Manning won the starting position before the start of the Bears 2009 summer training camp.[5] On passing downs, Manning will play nickelback, while Steltz will fill in for him at free safety.[5] Due to Manning's larger role on defense, the Bears have chosen second year wide receiver Johnny Knox to take over kick returning duties.[6]

Sounds like a safety we could use. Has return abilities and experience at bother corner and safety.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Don't know much about Manning either but....He HAS to be an improvement over what we have at safety.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Manning's one of the top tier safeties on the market.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Here's the WalterFootball rankings. (http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2011S.php)

He's got Dawan Landry and Manning as just under Weddle.

I'd be ecstatic to get either of those guys.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Here's the WalterFootball rankings. (http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2011S.php)

He's got Dawan Landry and Manning as just under Weddle.

I'd be ecstatic to get either of those guys.

Haven't seen many Bears games outside of their playoff matchups.

Returns kicks too, that would really be helpful. Also is from Texas so hopefully that gives us an edge.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Haven't seen many Bears games outside of their playoff matchups.

Returns kicks too, that would really be helpful. Also is from Texas so hopefully that gives us an edge.

I was setting my sights on guys like Dashon Goldson if we land one of the top corners. If we could get Manning and Asomugha/Joseph... I'd be setting up a kool-aid drip.

beerlover
07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Danieal Manning would be a very good signing. Came out of Abilene Christian, 2006 created some buzz in Shrine game which boosted his stock into the 2nd rd. Good safety with size/experience. Still young fitting in with core of this team (2006 draft) to grow long term, would be excellent situation to help Glover Quin. We'll know for sure tomorrow because he will go quick when open FA begins.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Danieal Manning would be a very good signing. Came out of Abilene Christian, 2006 created some buzz in Shrine game which boosted his stock into the 2nd rd. Good safety with size/experience. Still young fitting in with core of this team (2006 draft) to grow long term, would be excellent situation to help Glover Quin. We'll know for sure tomorrow because he will go quick when open FA begins.I like him. We reallyreallyreally need a good veteran safety. I'm pretty worried about the youngsters we have now. They might be great players but it also might take a couple of years for them to reach that potential.

beerlover
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I like him. We reallyreallyreally need a good veteran safety. I'm pretty worried about the youngsters we have now. They might be great players but it also might take a couple of years for them to reach that potential.

he can fit in Wade Phillips system, he turned down a 3 year 6 million dollar deal from Chicago so I'm guessing an offer similar to Jacoby might get it done which won't break the bank so they can still sign a good veteran CB. I really think a key is his timetable is aligned with Texan core players so they should peak over the next 5 years making a sustained playoff stretch run.

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 09:54 AM

Please, lord.

Is that a "please Lord..... yes!!" or a "please Lord, what is Rick Smith thinking?"

I found this on Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3696/player?r=1):
The Texans and Saints are among the teams showing interest in free agent S Danieal Manning.
The Bears are ready to let Manning walk after using third-round draft picks on a safety in each of the last two years. The Texans could certainly use a player that is versatile in the secondary and doesn't give up touchdowns. Jul 28, 9:50 AM
Source: Chicago Sun-Times

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Is that a "please Lord..... yes!!" or a "please Lord, what is Rick Smith thinking?"

I found this on Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3696/player?r=1):

That's a "Please, Lord, let Manning become a Texan."

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
That's a "Please, Lord, let Manning become a Texan."

Manning vs Manning?

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Manning vs Manning?

They cancel each other out.

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
They cancel each other out.

Damn dont cross the streams!!!

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I like him. We reallyreallyreally need a good veteran safety. I'm pretty worried about the youngsters we have now. They might be great players but it also might take a couple of years for them to reach that potential.

Is he a strong safety? an in the box guy?

That's what we need opposite Quin.

dalemurphy
07-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Old-school "in the box" safeties are part of NFL history. With all the 4 and 5 WR sets and with TEs that run like the wind, every team in the NFL is looking for two safeties that can cover. It's become too easy to exploit the "in the box" safety and those safeties force defenses to declare coverages too early.

Manning has good coverage skills.

aussie_texan
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM

it seems that they want to play with twin safeties, both playing deep simple way of saying need 2 FS players on the field. both with good coverage skills. if they wanted in the box they would have kept pollard

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Old-school "in the box" safeties are part of NFL history. With all the 4 and 5 WR sets and with TEs that run like the wind, every team in the NFL is looking for two safeties that can cover. It's become too easy to exploit the "in the box" safety and those safeties force defenses to declare coverages too early.

Manning has good coverage skills.

ie: see Bernard Pollard

thunderkyss
07-28-2011, 10:21 AM
it seems that they want to play with twin safeties, both playing deep simple way of saying need 2 FS players on the field. both with good coverage skills. if they wanted in the box they would have kept pollard

Traditionally we've played 2 SS type guys. Wilson is the only legit FS that I believe we've had in a while..

In the past, our MO has been to stop the run & our defense had been built for that, including the secondary.

Run support has been given priority over coverage ability.

If this is the new way, I'm all for it.

My question remains, is Manning a SS or a FS?

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
traditionally we've played 2 ss type guys. Wilson is the only legit fs that i believe we've had in a while..

In the past, our mo has been to stop the run & our defense had been built for that, including the secondary.

If this is the new way, i'm all for it.

My question remains, is manning a ss or a fs?

ss.

aussie_texan
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Traditionally we've played 2 SS type guys. Wilson is the only legit FS that I believe we've had in a while..

In the past, our MO has been to stop the run & our defense had been built for that, including the secondary.

If this is the new way, I'm all for it.

My question remains, is Manning a SS or a FS?

SS but has good coverage skills

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Manning would be our "SS" with Quin as our "FS" but they would be interchangeable. They'd stay on their same side of field and not switch sides just because of what a TE/WR does.

Manning has played nickle and free safety. But he'd be lined up as our "SS" I would imagine. It's like technically calling Mario an OLB although he's not going to have the same responsibilities as the prototypical 34olb... he'll be lined up in that spot.

I'm going to be so pumped when we get Manning and Asomugha.

K.D.
07-28-2011, 10:52 AM

How bout Manning & Johnathon Joseph!!:hurrah:

beerlover
07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Manning would be our "SS" with Quin as our "FS" but they would be interchangeable. They'd stay on their same side of field and not switch sides just because of what a TE/WR does.

Manning has played nickle and free safety. But he'd be lined up as our "SS" I would imagine. It's like technically calling Mario an OLB although he's not going to have the same responsibilities as the prototypical 34olb... he'll be lined up in that spot.

key word is interchangeable. Glover is a stronger tackler so he should be the SS while both can cover, Manning has better ball skills so should be the FS.

SteveSlaton20
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
DM's wikipedia says FS, and from what i've hear from the Bears fans they don't want him.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
key word is interchangeable. Glover is a stronger tackler so he should be the SS while both can cover, Manning has better ball skills so should be the FS.
I could live with that. :fingergun: hahaha

Manning sure can lay some wood though. I'm getting so excited about this season.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM

That's what we need opposite Quin.He has the size to support the run well but also has pretty decent coverage skills from what I've seen. 5'11" 211 lbs. I haven't seen a lot of him, though. He would be an economical upgrade imo.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
DM's wikipedia says FS, and from what i've hear from the Bears fans they don't want him.

Shows SS on WalterFootball's FA list.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
NFLN CHargers reporter saying that the Texans offered Weddle MORE than the Chargers did but he wanted to go back to the Chargers.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
NFLN CHargers reporter saying that the Texans offered Weddle MORE than the Chargers did but he wanted to go back to the Chargers.

Holy smokes!! I listened to an interview with Weddle a week ago and the guy (Matt somebody, I think local sports radio guy?) asked him about Houston and Wade Phillips... and the TExans historical lack of success. He sounded interested in Houston and though Wade was great. And said that the Texans history wouldn't be a factor in his decision: that we had some really great players and teams change so much year to year. That one or two players added can make a huge difference and get us over the edge.

beerlover
07-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Shows SS on WalterFootball's FA list.

Manning was evaulated as a corner coming out of College w/experience playing both safety positions. His return & ball skills combined with decent length make him ideal FS. Glover is more compact, aggressive & hard nosed like you want from a SS. First time I saw him he reminded me of a boxer. Together they would be a solid safety tandem.

Rey
07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Manning was evaulated as a corner coming out of College w/experience playing both safety positions. His return & ball skills combined with decent length make him ideal FS. Glover is more compact, aggressive & hard nosed like you want from a SS. First time I saw him he reminded me of a boxer. Together they would be a solid safety tandem.

Yep.

I think glover would be a fine ss.

If we sign one of the top corners its going to be interesting to see what they do at the safety spots.

J_R
07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
McClain: Texans one of three finalists for Daniel Manning. Texans have told players they cant make them offers until they see what happens with Joseph and Asomugha.

keyser
07-28-2011, 06:03 PM
McClain: Texans one of three finalists for Daniel Manning. Texans have told players they cant make them offers until they see what happens with Joseph and Asomugha.

As an ACU graduate, I have kept hoping that we'd get one of the ACU players (Danieal Manning, Bernard Scott, Johnny Knox, and this year, Edmond Gates). If for no other reason than that, I'd like him to come here.