PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Department Promotions

ArlingtonTexan
07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texans-make-scouting-department-hires.html

Lucky
07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Sounds like Strahm was demoted. He had been the director of college scouting (http://old.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=64).

ArlingtonTexan
07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Sounds like Strahm was demoted. He had been the director of college scouting (http://old.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=64).

Yep. I will still leave the title as is.

beerlover
07-19-2011, 03:07 AM
now we know (probable) that Strahm was behind the high grade on Kareem & Amboi. 2011 was a distinct change in both style & substance meaning Mike Maccagnan is now the man behind the scenes.

CloakNNNdagger
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
now we know (probable) that Strahm was behind the high grade on Kareem & Amboi. 2011 was a distinct change in both style & substance meaning Mike Maccagnan is now the man behind the scenes.

I would remain cautious about making these conclusions. The Texans have been infamous in picking scapegoats for their problems at all levels. I would be more apt to credit Wade for the "apparently" promising 2011 defensive picks. Seeing consistency in offensive as well as defensive draft picks over the next few years are more likely to tell the real story.

beerlover
07-19-2011, 02:27 PM
I would remain cautious about making these conclusions. The Texans have been infamous in picking scapegoats for their problems at all levels. I would be more apt to credit Wade for the "apparently" promising 2011 defensive picks. Seeing consistency in offensive as well as defensive draft picks over the next few years are more likely to tell the real story.

I would agree with this, but the way I imagine it works is the scouting department has its own rankings per position which are then submitted to Wade as he describes what he's looking for. Then the entire group sits down in their war room to discuss & plot their board accordingly.

I don't know these men personally, wish I did, but they remain viable, important cogs in the system, a system that's failed in the past, that now seems poised for better times via combination of competent talent evaluator (Maccagnan) & decision maker (Wade) :handshake:

Maybe this is my way (duty) as a draftnick, to support my own kinda people, give a little recognition & of course pub for a job well done :barman:

steelbtexan
07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I would agree with this, but the way I imagine it works is the scouting department has its own rankings per position which are then submitted to Wade as he describes what he's looking for. Then the entire group sits down in their war room to discuss & plot their board accordingly.

I don't know these men personally, wish I did, but they remain viable, important cogs in the system, a system that's failed in the past, that now seems poised for better times via combination of competent talent evaluator (Maccagnan) & decision maker (Wade) :handshake:

Maybe this is my way (duty) as a draftnick, to support my own kinda people, give a little recognition & of course pub for a job well done :barman:

Agreed

But, I would be careful about letting any scout Casserly hired run my scouting dept.

I thought Gary cleaned out all of Casserly's old cronies?

Guess not, which would help explain the suckitude of the last 5 drafts. Excluding 2006/2011

beerlover
07-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Agreed

But, I would be careful about letting any scout Casserly hired run my scouting dept.

I thought Gary cleaned out all of Casserly's old cronies?

Guess not, which would help explain the suckitude of the last 5 drafts. Excluding 2006/2011

misinformation both ways that none of us will ever know?

I like the fact these players focus was based more on game tape than combine numbers, although in Watt's case they still apply. Again trying to give the man some rep for a job well done thats all, not too many Maccagnan threads :spin:

thunderkyss
07-20-2011, 03:49 AM

So who was behind the 2009 draft?

Cushing - Defense
Barwin - Defense
Caldwell - Offense
Quin - Defense
Hill - Offense
Casey - Offense
McCain - Defense
Nolan - Defense