PDA

View Full Version : Reed/harris learning curve.

thetexanator
07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
considering all the time off, kinda scary they might have a harder time than KJ

2slik4u
07-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Guh....

Here we go...

EllisUnit
07-15-2011, 09:41 PM

they would really have to try hard to be that bad :fingergun:

badboy
07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm very optimistic, first about Brandon Harris whom I watched at Miami & was my corner pre-draft. I was amazed that Smith traded back into 2nd and got him as this will be a steal as a late two. He is the prototypical "cover or man to man" corner we need. Only disappointment was he measured 5'9 1/2" rather than 5'11" he was listed at in college. I'll be shocked if he is not a starter by mid season.

2nd, Rashad "Roc" Carmichael is right close to Harris imo. AFter he ran a slow 40 @ combine I moved him off my board but had him rated a high 3rd round until then. I was unaware until after Texans got him that he ran a good 40 at his college pro day. This kid may need more time to translate into NFL but should be good to go by year two especially if he plays behind Asomugha.

Kareem Jackson. Most regulars to MB know I wrote a scathing thread when Jackson was selected. Everyone was saying how Alabama ran a "pro style" defense but neglected to point out KJ was a "bump & run" corner. It takes a spectacular player to do this. Refer to Aso and Deon Sanders. Good news is while KJ can not be a cover type CB but can be a good & productive #2 corner if the new DB coach is as good as I hope. My concern is Jackson's psyche. It should be destroyed after the year he had. Nothing indicates that happened. Best thing for KJ is if we sign a solid vet CB that he can play behind and learn from.

All eyes will be on our backfield for different reason this season.

badboy
07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Brooks Reed should be a very good if not great LB in our new defense. I never mocked him for Texans as I thought he would be gone before our pick. Our 2011 draft may turn out to be our best ever. I am very interested in our new QB. Wasn't my guy but I quickly got on board.

El Tejano
07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
It's important to know that Reed most likely will be behind Barwin.

ATXtexanfan
07-16-2011, 06:43 PM
It's important to know that Reed most likely will be behind Barwin.

not sure about that considering barwin coming off injury, wouldn't think new staff has loyalty to vets

Second Honeymoon
07-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Barwin should be fine. Winston said he has been looking really good and should help the defense turn things around.

badboy
07-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Anyone think Okoye could play inside LB if Ryans can't be 90%?

Rey
07-17-2011, 08:45 PM

No way.

Allstar
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Is that a joke?

TimeKiller
07-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Maybe if he lost 40 pounds...........and didn't suck at football.

badboy
07-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Sounds crazy but popped in my mind as we really don't have someone behind Ryans. Okoye would only have to close hole to RB & pile up the middle sort of like one of Phillips "light" NTs. He would not have much ground to cover in the 3-4.

Allstar
07-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Sounds crazy

I agree. Has anyone ever switched from DT to LB?

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Sounds crazy but popped in my mind as we really don't have someone behind Ryans. Okoye would only have to close hole to RB & pile up the middle sort of like one of Phillips "light" NTs. He would not have much ground to cover in the 3-4.

You're not liking Sharpton and Bentley? I think this will be a good spot for Sharpton.

Not really feeling the Okoye LB love, though.

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Brooks Reed should be a very good if not great LB in our new defense. I never mocked him for Texans as I thought he would be gone before our pick. Our 2011 draft may turn out to be our best ever. I am very interested in our new QB. Wasn't my guy but I quickly got on board.

I expected Reed to go top of the first and I expected him to go to the Patriots.

I was ecstatic we got him.

badboy
07-17-2011, 10:07 PM
You're not liking Sharpton and Bentley? I think this will be a good spot for Sharpton.

Not really feeling the Okoye LB love, though.I was a Bentley fan until he took over MLB for Ryans and looked like curddled milk. I cannot believe he has not been cut. Sharpton? Meh, he should be better in a 3-4 with another LB to help out and he is only a soph so...

I understand about Okoye and remember not once did I mention he was still young.

ArlingtonTexan
07-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree. Has anyone ever switched from DT to LB?

Teddy Brushci (sp) played DL in college but was an ILB in the NFL.

Overall, fans spend too much time with finding exceptions to rules. For the most part, when teams draft they have more than a general position in mind, but they know that a guy will be a SLB, FS, LG, RT, Slot WR, etc.

steelbtexan
07-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Teddy Brushci (sp) played DL in college but was an ILB in college.

Overall, fans spend too much time with finding exceptions to rules. For the most part, when teams draft they have more than a general position in mind, but they know that a guy will be a SLB, FS, LG, RT, Slot WR, etc.

Yep

But Brushci is a fooball 1st professional.

Football ranks somewhere in the top 10 of OkOyes priorities.

OkOye making the swicth successfully isn't going to happen.

Trading OkOye to the Broncos and Slaton to the Rams for late rd picks is the most we can hope for.

DocBar
07-17-2011, 11:02 PM
they would really have to try hard to be that bad :fingergun:The Texans DO like high effort players. :spin:

DocBar
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Sounds crazy but popped in my mind as we really don't have someone behind Ryans. Okoye would only have to close hole to RB & pile up the middle sort of like one of Phillips "light" NTs. He would not have much ground to cover in the 3-4.I like the idea of Pollard switching to WOLB better than Okoye moving to ILB. Besides, isn't Okoye projected at DE in Wades D, assuming he makes the team?

badboy
07-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I like the idea of Pollard switching to WOLB better than Okoye moving to ILB. Besides, isn't Okoye projected at DE in Wades D, assuming he makes the team?No, in Wade's D, Okoye is projected to be on someone else's roster.