PDA

View Full Version : Could Pollard be considered for the LB position

CloakNNNdagger
07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
He had the run stopping and tackling skills. He weighed 224. I believe the average NFL 3-4 LB weighs around 235. So would this experiment be off the wall? It's a slow time now.....and that's why I even bring it up. But I've often wondered if the coverage responsibilities would not be necessary, could Pollard's punch and aggressiveness have been harnessed for our new D.

TimeKiller
07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Whoever is holding the ball around Pollard is in trouble, dude has run stopping ability and aggression to be feared. Let me say this first so nobody gets confused:

I DON'T WANT POLLARD STARTING AT SAFETY

But I thought he at least brings enough to the table to be a special teams captain or a servicable backup. I mean, why in the hell is Kevin Bentley getting paid by this team?

As a LB, I don't think he can bulk up too much more but he did show the ability to blitz last year, both times a safety blitz got called lol....and he would clearly not have trouble diving into piles and effing people up, that's what he did already.

I think he'll have enough clout to get a job elsewhere but I really wouldn't mind having him around, albeit in a lesser role.

cland
07-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't think he fits. He could take a shot at WLB in a 4-3 defense, but I don't think he has the frame to play an ILB spot in the 3-4. Those guys have to be able to play through OG blocks in the 3-4 one-gap system.

El Tejano
07-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Didn't we release Pollard?

cland
07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Yep, he's a FA.

ArlingtonTexan
07-15-2011, 10:40 AM
There is not much history of veteran players moving from SS to LB with any level of legitimate success. There are couple of players who moved really early and became good players though. Gary Brackett of the Colts comes to mind.

powda
07-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Gary Brackett of the Colts comes to mind.

Cato June with the colts was a safety in college as well as Thomas Davis with the panthers. I always thought Pollard was best in a Pollamalu type role...unfortunately we had no pass rush and no secondary so we didnt have the luxury of using him that way.

Pollard could make it as a nickel package linebacker on passing downs now. Hes just not the size of guy you want taking on offensive linemen if you can protect him...

Rey
07-15-2011, 11:57 AM
He had the run stopping and tackling skills. He weighed 224. I believe the average NFL 3-4 LB weighs around 235. So would this experiment be off the wall? It's a slow time now.....and that's why I even bring it up. But I've often wondered if the coverage responsibilities would not be necessary, could Pollard's punch and aggressiveness have been harnessed for our new D.

Pollard could have been used as a utility player.

That said, I think that there are cheaper options that can be used in that type of role.

I'm way more excited to see what Anderson can do at the olb position. He was very explosive coming off the line providing an excellent speed rush and opening up the offensive line.

Texans need to re-sign him.

gary
07-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think he will be re-signed.

Corrosion
07-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Can he cover backs and TE's ? :ahhaha:

Scratch that idea.

TimeKiller
07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
No really, why the hell is Kevin Bentley on this team?

Rey
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think he will be re-signed.

Are you talking about Mark Anderson?

I hope hope you're wrong Gary...I think in his short stint last year he provided a better speed rush than any Texan player ever has.

badboy
07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Pollard will play for someone at safety role. He would be too beat up at linebacker.

m5kwatts
07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
There's no doubt Pollard can tackle like a beast, but physically his frame does not lend towards being a LB. He's more effective when he's clean, not with guards and tackles getting their hands on him. I'd seriously question his ability to shed NFL o-lineman since he's never done it before other than safety blitzes.

That's an idea that could work in Madden, but not in real life.

Besides why would Pollard sign a cheap 1 year minimum deal experimenting as a linebacker when he'll probably be able to land a multi-year deal as someone's starting safety? Someone else will give him a chance, like the Texans did.

TimeKiller
07-15-2011, 05:17 PM
His frame couldn't take what now? Guy averaged 80 tackles a season as a safety! Saying he's better not shedding blocks, yeah, so is everybody. SKILL as a LB might be a question but not durability. Sign him as a backup Safety, an average backup and special team demon at a position where desperation is an understatement. I betcha he would sign for cheap because I think he knows this is probably the best team he's gonna catch on to.

Wade better know some guys who are better or this will be yet another mistake for Rick Smith at setting up the backfield for success. Even if Wade knows some guys who are better it won't be a Rick Smith decision to sign them. So I guess business as usual.

m5kwatts
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
His frame couldn't take what now? Guy averaged 80 tackles a season as a safety! Saying he's better not shedding blocks, yeah, so is everybody. SKILL as a LB might be a question but not durability. Sign him as a backup Safety, an average backup and special team demon at a position where desperation is an understatement. I betcha he would sign for cheap because I think he knows this is probably the best team he's gonna catch on to.

Wade better know some guys who are better or this will be yet another mistake for Rick Smith at setting up the backfield for success. Even if Wade knows some guys who are better it won't be a Rick Smith decision to sign them. So I guess business as usual.

Yeah, he averaged 80 tackles a season AS A SAFETY. How could you forecast anything about his durability AS A LINEBACKER when he's never taken on the position full-time. As a safety, he's roaming free untouched a helluva alot more than if he was a linebacker mere yards off the line of scrimmage. He does not have a LB frame, from head to toe. He'd get engulfed by the big boys if he was in a front 7 full time. Look at LBs in the NFL, you've gotta have a squattier lower/heavier base and thicker legs. Pollard looks like a WR. So yes his frame would affect his SKILL as a LB.

gary
07-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Are you talking about Mark Anderson?

I hope hope you're wrong Gary...I think in his short stint last year he provided a better speed rush than any Texan player ever has.Pollard was released just before the lockout.

DocBar
07-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I think CND is trying to make a comaprison to Dumervil in Denver when they played the 3-4. I think it would've been an interesting TC experiment. Pollard definitely had the mindset to be an OLB in the 3-4 and use his athleticism to rush the passer.

Doppelganger
07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I think CND is trying to make a comaprison to Dumervil in Denver when they played the 3-4. I think it would've been an interesting TC experiment. Pollard definitely had the mindset to be an OLB in the 3-4 and use his athleticism to rush the passer.

Is Pollard fast enough though? I thought one of his problems was that he was not fast enough to keep up with receivers and TEs down the field and was best when they ran towards him?

DocBar
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Is Pollard fast enough though? I thought one of his problems was that he was not fast enough to keep up with receivers and TEs down the field and was best when they ran towards him?I'm talking about Pollard being purely a passrusher. I think his skill set would lend itself to that well enough to make it an interesting experiment in TC. I don't think Dumervil dropped back in coverage very much at all in the Denver 3-4. Hard to get 17 sacks when you're dropped back in coverage. Now Dumervil is exceptionally small as a 4-3 DE.

CloakNNNdagger
07-15-2011, 09:05 PM

This was exactly what I was thinking when I put forth this thread.

I'm talking about Pollard being purely a passrusher. I think his skill set would lend itself to that well enough to make it an interesting experiment in TC. I don;t think Dumervil dropped back in coverage very much at all in the Denver 3-4. Hard to get 17 sacks when you're dropped back in coverage. Now Dumervil is exceptionally small as a 4-3 DE.

Likewise, Pollard wouldn't have to be fast enough to stay up with fast WRs, just fast enough to get to a stationary, side-stepping or back pedaling QB.

DocBar
07-15-2011, 11:47 PM
There's no doubt Pollard can tackle like a beast, but physically his frame does not lend towards being a LB. He's more effective when he's clean, not with guards and tackles getting their hands on him. I'd seriously question his ability to shed NFL o-lineman since he's never done it before other than safety blitzes.

That's an idea that could work in Madden, but not in real life.

Besides why would Pollard sign a cheap 1 year minimum deal experimenting as a linebacker when he'll probably be able to land a multi-year deal as someone's starting safety? Someone else will give him a chance, like the Texans did. I'm struggling with an opinion on this. I think his natural instincts, aggressiveness and quickness would help him get around the lack of experience at the position. I'm just not sure I'm not being a homer in fantasy about it, though. I never dreamed of the proposition til CND brought it up, but I find it intriguing. If nothing else, it might be a huge 1 season splash like the Wildcat. Or a complete, abject failure....in which case, I blame CND for coming up with the idea to start with.

thunderkyss
07-16-2011, 06:22 AM

I would have liked to have seen Pollard stay.

With him playing a hybrid safety-linebacker role & Quin playing a hybrid corner-safety role.

It would be difficult for a QB to figure out what we were doing..... They see Pollard cheating on the line, thinking we're playing cover 1 or 0..... then Quin comes out of nowhere & snags the pass.

thunderkyss
07-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Pollard could have been used as a utility player.

That said, I think that there are cheaper options that can be used in that type of role.

I'm way more excited to see what Anderson can do at the olb position. He was very explosive coming off the line providing an excellent speed rush and opening up the offensive line.

Texans need to re-sign him.

After last season, I think we can get Bernard pretty cheap..... especially after the way Rick Smith (the Texans) have played their hand so far.

Not many teams are going to be drooling over Pollard's performance last season.

I know a lot of folks don't like the idea of BP being on this team, he is a liability in coverage.

But he is a play-maker if he's teamed up with a DC who can maximize a player's strength, (& Nnamdi Asomugha covering half the field) who knows what he can do?

Wolf6151
07-16-2011, 07:45 AM
If we had stayed with the 4-3 defense, I think Pollard could have added some weight and been a good/decent WLB. I think his aggressiveness at rushing the QB and against the run would work well at 4-3 WLB. He is not suited to any LB position in the 3-4 defense though.

gary
07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Why wouldn't Wade tell Rick not to release him if he felt like he could use him?

thunderkyss
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Why wouldn't Wade tell Rick not to release him if he felt like he could use him?

Leverage

gary
07-16-2011, 10:43 PM
LeverageSign him for less? That might be.

ubecool454
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Yep, he's a FA.

I'm going to miss that guy. I'm glad I didn't get his jersey last year..lol

Rey
07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
After last season, I think we can get Bernard pretty cheap..... especially after the way Rick Smith (the Texans) have played their hand so far.

Not many teams are going to be drooling over Pollard's performance last season.

I know a lot of folks don't like the idea of BP being on this team, he is a liability in coverage.

But he is a play-maker if he's teamed up with a DC who can maximize a player's strength, (& Nnamdi Asomugha covering half the field) who knows what he can do?

I don't disagree and I am not one that thought Pollard needed to go.

He was let go because he was too outspoken, didn't have a good season last year and was in the last year of his contract.

If we were in the business of getting rid of players that weren't good we'd have let go of a lot of other players.

Lots of players have had bad years around here, but if they are well liked, and don't run their mouth we tend to let them hang around longer.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm kinda surprised how much pollard love's going around here. Our entire secondary was bad last season, but Pollard was the worst out of all of them. He's nothing more than a box safety (see Roy Williams, but worse). When he was asked to drop in coverage he bit on play action every damn time. I'm not really a big stats guy, but iirc, he had the worst thrown to/TD ratio of anybody.

I'll pass and obviously the Texans have too.

The Pencil Neck
07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm kinda surprised how much pollard love's going around here. Our entire secondary was bad last season, but Pollard was the worst out of all of them. He's nothing more than a box safety (see Roy Williams, but worse). When he was asked to drop in coverage he bit on play action every damn time. I'm not really a big stats guy, but iirc, he had the worst thrown to/TD ratio of anybody.

I'll pass and obviously the Texans have too.

And to make it all worse, he was not the sure tackler last year that he had been the year before. That at least made some things better. Last year, it seemed like he was taking more bad angles and not wrapping up. It started in pre-season with the Saints game and just kept on all the way through.

BUT...

Last year, I was surprised when we let Darnell Bing go so early. I thought he looked really good in pre-season at the Will. I was looking forward to him maybe developing into that pass rush presence.

Why am I bringing up Bing? Because he was a safety converted to LB.

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Pollard after he tests the waters, and then moving him up to either the Will or maybe even the WILB. Coming from safety, he should be at least as good in coverage as any of our other LBs. He was, at times, pretty good rushing the passer and also blitzing to stop the running game.

But I think the shortened pre-season kills him here. There's not enough time to convert him. He needs to be bulked up and stronger. And unless they told him they planned to convert him before cutting him and he's decided to go that route, I don't see any way they can get him to where he needs to be at this late date.

DocBar
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM

I'll pass and obviously the Texans have too.But DAMN could he hit.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
And to make it all worse, he was not the sure tackler last year that he had been the year before. That at least made some things better. Last year, it seemed like he was taking more bad angles and not wrapping up. It started in pre-season with the Saints game and just kept on all the way through.

BUT...

Last year, I was surprised when we let Darnell Bing go so early. I thought he looked really good in pre-season at the Will. I was looking forward to him maybe developing into that pass rush presence.

Why am I bringing up Bing? Because he was a safety converted to LB.

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Pollard after he tests the waters, and then moving him up to either the Will or maybe even the WILB. Coming from safety, he should be at least as good in coverage as any of our other LBs. He was, at times, pretty good rushing the passer and also blitzing to stop the running game.

But I think the shortened pre-season kills him here. There's not enough time to convert him. He needs to be bulked up and stronger. And unless they told him they planned to convert him before cutting him and he's decided to go that route, I don't see any way they can get him to where he needs to be at this late date.

I don't think he'd even be worth looking at at OLB if we did have a full off-season. I don't think we're set at that position, but we'll surely have much more to choose from in FA. Plus, those that are on the roster, our RFAs and UFAs that have had experience in our organization.

Mario
Barwin
Reed
Anderson
Bulman
Jamison
Nading

Now, I'm sure Bulman, Nading and Jamison are likely gone, but would he even come close to beating out those fringe players? No way, imo

But DAMN could he hit.

Like PN said, his tackling wasn't very good. He always tried going for the big hit, yet missed or was penalized more than landing the big hit.