PDA

View Full Version : [ProFootballFocus] Texans - #2 OL in 2010

Texans34Life
07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/13/2010-offensive-line-rankings-%E2%80%93-part-2/

2. Houston Texans (2009 Rank: 13th)

Run Rank 3rd, Pass Rank 4th, Penalties Rank 4th

How much did this line improve? Every one of them scored a positive grade and they were particularly strong with their run blocking (the unsung heroes in Arian Fosterís breakout campaign). If thereís a complaint itís that both tackles are prone to getting beaten in pass protection.

Best Player: Surprising as it may seem, Chris Myers is right up there with Mangold and Birk as one of the best run blocking centers in the league.

Biggest Concern: After three years in the league, Duane Brown may be competent, but heís not good enough to deal with the top edge rushers one-on-one.

2slik4u
07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/13/2010-offensive-line-rankings-%E2%80%93-part-2/

2. Houston Texans (2009 Rank: 13th)

Run Rank 3rd, Pass Rank 4th, Penalties Rank 4th

How much did this line improve? Every one of them scored a positive grade and they were particularly strong with their run blocking (the unsung heroes in Arian Fosterís breakout campaign). If thereís a complaint itís that both tackles are prone to getting beaten in pass protection.

Best Player: Surprising as it may seem, Chris Myers is right up there with Mangold and Birk as one of the best run blocking centers in the league.

Biggest Concern: After three years in the league, Duane Brown may be competent, but heís not good enough to deal with the top edge rushers one-on-one.

What an unbelieveable(sp) turnaround.

b0ng
07-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Chris Meyers played well last year but I want to see that performance again before he's talked about as being one of the best in the league.

El Tejano
07-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Gotta resign Rashod Butler.

powda
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM

John Benton and Rick Dennison did an outstanding job last year. It helps that Foster had such great vision.

I used to be in the crowd that wanted Meyers replaced ,but he really has up'ed his game. He's still on the light side and can get handled by bigger defensive linemen ,but he looks more technically sound. His mobility to the 2nd and 3rd level really helped break some runs last year. He was 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage on a LOT of running plays. He played angry.

Wade Smith was sloppy as hell his first year but really cleaned it up this past year. Far fewer blown assignments and penalties.

Caldwell shared time with Brisell. He (Caldwell) had good and bad moments and the talent is there. He should be more consitent this year.

Winston and Brown can both be beat outside by speed but overall they are respectible pass blockers and better then average run blockers.

We should definetly retain Butler. We groomed him for a few years and saw a glimpse of the payoff finally this year. Gotta have a quality swing tackle.

We have the best screen pass offensive line in the NFL. They struggle against 3-4 defensive linemen at times but overall I was impressed with their performance last year. We will have a quality running game again this year due in part to them...

gary
07-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Butler does not want to stay here.

ArlingtonTexan
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
John Benton and Rick Dennison did an outstanding job last year. It helps that Foster had such great vision.

I used to be in the crowd that wanted Meyers replaced ,but he really has up'ed his game. He's still on the light side and can get handled by bigger defensive linemen ,but he looks more technically sound. His mobility to the 2nd and 3rd level really helped break some runs last year. He was 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage on a LOT of running plays. He played angry.

Wade Smith was sloppy as hell his first year but really cleaned it up this past year. Far fewer blown assignments and penalties.

Caldwell shared time with Brisell. He (Caldwell) had good and bad moments and the talent is there. He should be more consitent this year.

Winston and Brown can both be beat outside by speed but overall they are respectible pass blockers and better then average run blockers.

We should definetly retain Butler. We groomed him for a few years and saw a glimpse of the payoff finally this year. Gotta have a quality swing tackle.

We have the best screen pass offensive line in the NFL. They struggle against 3-4 defensive linemen at times but overall I was impressed with their performance last year. We will have a quality running game again this year due in part to them...

2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Wade-Smith/cf108f70-f0fe-40e1-a146-f56b34ae36c5

powda
07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Wade-Smith/cf108f70-f0fe-40e1-a146-f56b34ae36c5

Thanks. Sorry for the oversite...perhaps i'm thinking of his play early in the year then or preseason?

drs23
07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Wade-Smith/cf108f70-f0fe-40e1-a146-f56b34ae36c5

That's what I thunk...

powda
07-14-2011, 01:31 PM
That's what I thunk...

http://tvocrats.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/michael-scott.jpg

Chilllllllaxxxx people. Its been a long day. I'm not able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to my post thanks to this "job thing" I have to go to...

Doppelganger
07-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Kubes and some Myers apologists had said he had been playing on a high ankle sprain the previous 2 years. They say last year is what he really is. I am with you. He needs another couple of seasons before I will feel comfortable.

I thought Smith was great. He was brought in as the key FA and he delivered pretty well overall. Poor preseaon but solid regular season. Well worth the money.

Disappointed with Caldwell. He has not taken the starting spot from Brisel. I thought Caldwell would be starting in his second year and not looking back. Hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Winston and solid are above average. They can hold their own against the solid to good DEs but struggle against the elite ends/OLBs like Freeny and Ware, but then again, so do the elite tackles. They are good enough to win with.

gary
07-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I think the OL is finally good enough to win with overall but I just hope they stay good enough until the rest of the team gets better.

powda
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I think the OL is finally good enough to win with overall but I just hope they stay good enough until the rest of the team gets better.

If our defense had'nt been do dreadfull I think more people might be paying attention to how much our running game improved. At times the line was downright domminant. It was fun to watch.

ArlingtonTexan
07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
http://tvocrats.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/michael-scott.jpg

Chilllllllaxxxx people. Its been a long day. I'm not able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to my post thanks to this "job thing" I have to go to...

What's a "job thing"? :hurryup::jk:

gary
07-14-2011, 03:03 PM
If our defense had'nt been do dreadfull I think more people might be paying attention to how much our running game improved. At times the line was downright domminant. It was fun to watch.They are all in the prime of their careers so the time is now to win.

False Start
07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I think they deserve the ranking, I didn't do too much bitchin about the O-Line last season... so that meant they were doing their job. With Arian's great season that helped a lot. :cool:

IDEXAN
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
It is a very good OLine, so why don't any of them get a Pro-Bowl spot ?

ArlingtonTexan
07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

I don't think individually any of them dominate the line of scrimmage, but work well together as a unit. The classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Doppelganger
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM

I don't think individually any of them dominate the line of scrimmage, but work well together as a unit. The classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Part of it is that it has also only been a year. OL is one of those positions that people continue to vote over and over based on reputation.

Look at the AFC 2011 OL:
OT: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, DBrick, Matt Light
OG: Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Kris Dielman
C: Nick mangold, Maurkice Pouncey, Jeff Saturday, Alex Mack

OT: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Joe Thomas, DBrick
OG: Logan Mankins, Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman
C: Nick mangold, Jeff Saturday, Kevin Mawae.

OT:Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Michael Roos, Jake Long
OG: Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman, Brian Waters
C: Kevin Mawae, Nick Mangold, Casey Weigmann

OT:Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Matt Light, Jonathan Ogden, Macus McNeill
OG: Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman, Logan Mankins
C: Jeff Saturday, Dan Koppen

OT:Matt Light, Jonathan Ogden, Macus McNeill, Willie Anderson, Tarik Glenn
OG: Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Brian Waters
C: Jeff Saturday, Nick Hardwick

OT:Jonathan Ogden, Willie Anderson, Willie Roaf, Tarik Glenn
OG: Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Brian Waters
C: Jeff Saturday, Jeff hartings

Notice how many players appear on that list multiple times? Once you are seen as an established Probowler, you generally make multiple appearances. But to get there, it generally takes time for people to notice you. You gotta play well over a couple of seasons and be on a winning team that gets attention.

Conversely, you could be a first round pick and play well. Then people will notice you right away.

badboy
07-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping the defense can undergo a similar improvement. Basic sound play from line and a big time player like Foster on the D (Asomugha) could really move us towards that Super Bowl thinggy.

Lucky
07-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Because the Texans aren't a winning team.

thunderkyss
07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Kubes and some Myers apologists had said he had been playing on a high ankle sprain the previous 2 years. They say last year is what he really is. I am with you. He needs another couple of seasons before I will feel comfortable.

I'll speak for "some Myers apologists" We ain't never said he was one of the best in the league... not even close.

My comments were more along the line as being the most consistent in accomplishing his assignments among our linemen. He was the best we've had since he's been here.

Pitts was a brute, & probably more athletic than the much lighter Myers, but if you'd watch the games, Pitts would screw up more often than Myers. In fact, that Jets game it was Pitts getting dominated by Jenkins for the majority of the game. But Myer's did get tossed & they showed that clip on TV again & again & again... & that's all anyone remembers.

But you count the Texans' snaps & give them points for appearing to accomplish their task, appearing to do a half-ass job, & appearing to get beat, Myers has been our best lineman overall....... Winston's the favorite... I don't know why.

Scooter
07-15-2011, 06:29 AM
edit.

cland
07-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Dennison gets some credit as well, particularly in fixing the running game. His biggest addition was adding the counter package that helped to offset teams 'fast-flowing' to bust up the zone-package. I think Myers was healthier in 2010, but he also wasn't asked to solo up on a giant NT in pass pro.

Texas T
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Because the Texans aren't a winning team.

I don't buy this reasoning. We have other players make it and they had the same record...