PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison is Talking...alot...Cushing included

HoustonFrog
07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
This guy is just a motor mouth. Part of me likes that he pretty much says what is on his mind because I find it "train wreckish" and I think people like Goodell need to hear a little criticism but overall who can take him seriously when he talks so much. His good points get lost in the yapping.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6764826/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-blasts-roger-goodell-magazine-interview

NEW YORK -- Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") -- and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

TEXANRED
07-13-2011, 09:26 AM
This guy is just a motor mouth. Part of me likes that he pretty much says what is on his mind because I find it "train wreckish" and I think people like Goodell need to hear a little criticism but overall who can take him seriously when he talks so much. His good points get lost in the yapping.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6764826/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-blasts-roger-goodell-magazine-interview

Harrison is a punk and a cry baby. Now he is attacking his own team-mates? He won't be around much longer.

HoustonFrog
07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Harrison is a punk and a cry baby. Now he is attacking his own team-mates? He won't be around much longer.

Attacking the teammates won't work in Steeler land. He will be gone

DBCooper
07-13-2011, 10:16 AM
He's not going anywhere.

But if he does, I'd love him here.

TEXANRED
07-13-2011, 10:29 AM
He's not going anywhere.

I wouldn't. Dudes got a one way ticket out of the NFL. At this point he is one sack away from Goodell giving him a year suspension just b/c he can. Goodell would probably even whisper in his ear to go play flag football.

Hervoyel
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Aside from the fact that he's probably right about Cushing he's really picking fights that he can't win. Going to war with the Goodell is just incredibly stupid. The man can end your career with the stroke of a pen.

Texecutioner
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't. Dudes got a one way ticket out of the NFL. At this point he is one sack away from Goodell giving him a year suspension just b/c he can. Goodell would probably even whisper in his ear to go play flag football.

That would be hilarious if Goodell did that and winked at him afterward.

What the hell is with Harrison? Has the guy gone bonkers or is this some pathetic attempt to mirror the behavior of Chael Sonnen?? I can't believe he chose to blast two of his teammates that are both great players. That was just stupid and he will probably be traded.

Dutchrudder
07-13-2011, 11:41 AM

What the hell is with Harrison? Has the guy gone bonkers or is this some pathetic attempt to mirror the behavior of Chael Sonnen?? I can't believe he chose to blast two of his teammates that are both great players. That was just stupid and he will probably be traded.

I think we are just seeing the results of doling out too many viscous hits in the NFL. Obviously it has imbalanced the juices in his brain and causes him to make stupid statements.

b0ng
07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
James Harrison is great. He's an asshole and a psychopath and I can sit back and laugh at some of the inane shit he says (Although that crap he said about the Pats is all true) and I don't have to actually interact with him.

IDEXAN
07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Just out of curiosity re his comments about Cushing, has he ever been in contact with Cushing, played against him or is this just a statement based upon rumors, gossip, I guess what has been established and is now common knowledge from Cushings rookie season in 2009 ?

HOU-TEX
07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
lol. What a moron. Dude's a beast of a player, but he's obviously been receiving the brunt of the impact from tackling.

steelbtexan
07-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Yeah, BoBBy wouldn't want a mean, smart playmaking OLB on his team.

BTW, he's spot on wth his comments about Goddell and players hitting high to avoid knee injuries. Even though he's probably the wrong messenger.

Goddell is a joke of a commish.

steelbtexan
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Hopefully to the Texans.

ChampionTexan
07-13-2011, 12:08 PM
He's not going anywhere.

Disagree with both comments - vehemently on the second one.

Nawzer
07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Not the most appropriate way to express one's feelings, but I bet a large amount of NFL players feel the same way about Goodell. As for the Cushing remarks, I think he's probably saying the truth.

XI CMURDER IX
07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I would find it funny if Goodell either suspended him for making these comments or fined him for it. While Harrison may be right on some things, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Especially talking crap about your OWN teammates.

ChampionTexan
07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Hopefully to the Texans.

Widespread sentiment #1 - Houston has crappy coaches, and don't have the leadership in the locker room to compensate for it.

Widespread sentiment #2 - Pittsburgh is pretty much the opposite of Houston as it relates to widespread sentiment #1

So what sense does it make to pick up a player that Pittsburgh wasn't able to keep under control, and deemed to much of a problem to keep around?

Texecutioner
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Hopefully to the Texans.

Don't want him. I've got standards for the teams I root for, and as great of a player as he is, I wouldn't want this guy to have the privlidge of being spoiled by Uncle Bob. I wouldn't mind having certain players here who have had certain issues and what not, but not this guy. Not after all of the stuff he has said where he takes being a moron to such high levels. I wouldn't want any LB that would come out of nowhere bashing a great QB like Big Ben who is one of the best in the league or Mendenhall who is a great RB as well. Then he's calling the Commish names like devil and saying he wouldn't save his life if he was burning? The guy is just plain stupid. No way I'd want ta team cancer like that over here. Pittsburgh should trade him to Oakland.

TEXANRED
07-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, BoBBy wouldn't want a mean, smart playmaking OLB on his team.

BTW, he's spot on wth his comments about Goddell and players hitting high to avoid knee injuries. Even though he's probably the wrong messenger.

Goddell is a joke of a commish.

He is no Tagliabue

Texecutioner
07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Not the most appropriate way to express one's feelings, but I bet a large amount of NFL players feel the same way about Goodell. As for the Cushing remarks, I think he's probably saying the truth.

The players just hate Goodell because he was the first commish that actually had some balls and started fining them when the conduct level was outragious in the NFL. As great of a commish as PT was before Goodell, he was soft as hell on the players as far as how they were punished and Goodell's been very inconsistent with a lot of his fines and his suspensions, but at least he came in and wasn't afraid to drop the hammer. He came in at a time where players were being arrested like every day practically. A lot of the resentment is based on the fact that Goodell doesn't let these guys act however they want to in public by getting arrested without consequence. I like Goodell for those reasons.

HoustonFrog
07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Here is part of the actual article. Some quotes are funny as hell

http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison

“My rep is James Harrison, mean son of a ***** who loves hitting the hell out of people,” he says. “But up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty — till Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”

On Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu:
“He’s the one guy in football I respect absolutely, ‘cause he’s spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin’. He’s so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his ass, and Goodell would smile and say thank you.”

On the 2004 season:
“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”

On the two interceptions thrown by Ben Roethlisberger in last year’s Super Bowl:
“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

gary
07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree with Goodell punishing players for bad behavior on or off of the field but he has taken some of the fun away from football IMO.

Rey
07-13-2011, 09:29 PM
James is a revolutionary. He's no different than our forefathers.

edo783
07-13-2011, 10:49 PM
James is a revolutionary. He's no different than our forefathers.

Perhaps, but he appears more likely to have been chewing on lead paint chips than anything.

GP
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Candor and transparency are virtues that must be handled carefully.

Too much of it, and nobody wants you around for very long.

I have a friend who hasn't landed a job in over a year. He keeps going into interviews and being way too honest, transparent, and trying too hard to show that he's a good person with great virtue. This ends up backfiring, IMO, because in the end...your employer is treating that interview like a First Date.

On a first date, you don't typically share that you like to stick your finger in your ear and rub it around and then sniff the ear wax off the tip of your finger. Instead, that shit gets shared with your wife about 3 days after getting back from the honeymoon. For real. You just don't bare all your dirty laundry up front. It's awkward.

James, IMO, is forgetting that while people like SOME of his outspoken nature...he's gone off the deep end. He needs to decide if he wants to be a color commentary guy who does shock TV/radio shows...or is he going to be a model employee of a football team and quit being a punk about stuff.

He reminds me of Michael Scott of The Office. He says things he shouldn't, and then he makes it worse by adding to it. People just avoid him. James is socially inept.

steelbtexan
07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Disagree with both comments - vehemently on the second one.

Yeah, being the dominant player on a SB winning defense and setting a SB record int return. We dont need those kinds of players on our team.

He's just to mean/selfish to play on our team. Meanwhile the Steelers keep on going to the Playoffs every yr and a couple of SB's every 5 yrs. We dont need that kind of attitude around our team. LOL

steelbtexan
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Candor and transparency are virtues that must be handled carefully.

Too much of it, and nobody wants you around for very long.

I have a friend who hasn't landed a job in over a year. He keeps going into interviews and being way too honest, transparent, and trying too hard to show that he's a good person with great virtue. This ends up backfiring, IMO, because in the end...your employer is treating that interview like a First Date.

On a first date, you don't typically share that you like to stick your finger in your ear and rub it around and then sniff the ear wax off the tip of your finger. Instead, that shit gets shared with your wife about 3 days after getting back from the honeymoon. For real. You just don't bare all your dirty laundry up front. It's awkward.

James, IMO, is forgetting that while people like SOME of his outspoken nature...he's gone off the deep end. He needs to decide if he wants to be a color commentary guy who does shock TV/radio shows...or is he going to be a model employee of a football team and quit being a punk about stuff.

He reminds me of Michael Scott of The Office. He says things he shouldn't, and then he makes it worse by adding to it. People just avoid him. James is socially inept.

Agreed

But he's a great football player that any team would want. Even with his running off at the mouth.

That's if winning is your teams #1 priority.

steelbtexan
07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree with Goodell punishing players for bad behavior on or off of the field but he has taken some of the fun away from football IMO.

Goddell is the worst commish in NFL history.

Harrison is just mad that Goddell is fining him huge sums of $$$$. Fr playing football the same way he's played it all his life. (Tough/Smart putting fear into your opponents)

He's got a right to be upset. IMHO Goddell is terrible.

The1ApplePie
07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
If the Steelers cut him, the Texans should be the first in line.

Every team needs a thug/enforcer, something the Texans have never had on defense

gary
07-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Goddell is the worst commish in NFL history.

Harrison is just mad that Goddell is fining him huge sums of $$$$. Fr playing football the same way he's played it all his life. (Tough/Smart putting fear into your opponents)

He's got a right to be upset. IMHO Goddell is terrible.He should stop now with the rule changes while he is still ahead or the players might as well just be red shirted.

disaacks3
07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
My rep is James Harrison, mean son of a ***** who loves hitting the hell out of people,” he says. “But up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty.

Really James? NO reports?
Why do bloggers (requested by a Pitt board) remember tidbits like these:

The play in question is a play in which Harrison takes a dirty shot late at Jay Cutler's knees in the end-zone. Harrison dives at Cutler's legs about two seconds after the ball has been released and simply dives at his knees for the sake of diving at his knees. This play by definition is a dirty play in every sense of the word, a pass rusher who is late arriving at the other team's star quarterback and literally DIVES at the QB's knees.

Ask an Arizona fan (if they haven't all killed themselves by now) what they thought of #92 in the Superbowl. I bet their answer involves Harrison being ejected, suspended, and no less that two Steeler touchdowns revoked and the Lombardi trophy re-awarded to the Cardinals.

Is James Harrison a dirty football player? Probably. In our eyes, the dirtiest thing he has done was in Super Bowl XLIII when he was punching that Cardinals player when he was down on the ground.

Funny one from a Steelers blog...when you have to start out with with Harrison's childhood, you just know it's an apologist rant.
Ian from from The Steelers n'at says: James Harrison. Where to begin? Well, let's take a brief look at how the man got his start in the league. Harrison was the youngest of 14 kids and attended a high school where he was one of the first African-American players to ever put on a football helmet. During his time in high school, he was suspended twice (challenging a coach to a fight and making an obscene gesture towards fans -- according to Wikipedia the second incident happened after fans uttered racial slurs towards him). I think the evidence is pretty clear that Harrison faced a lot of adversity early in life, and no doubt it shaped his personality.

In the end, for players and coaches, it's mostly about intent, and I don't think James Harrison intends to inflict serious injury. When he says "I want to hurt people, not injure them," it kind of makes sense and provides a clue to his intent.

I was disgusted by James Harrison's reaction to having concussed two opposing players. Knocking an opposing player out of the game as a goal screams dirty play to me, but Harrison just expressed the prevailing attitude in the league. Harrison didn't have the most visually disturbing hit, nor the most blatantly illegal on Sunday (those belonged to Dunta Robinson and Brandon Meriweather, respectively). Even with the generous interpretation of his statement, that the goal is pain and intimidation and taking a player off the field just an acceptable side effect, it shows a disregard for player safety that the NFL can't responsibly allow.

I think James Harrison is a dirty player, but it doesn't really change the way I look at him. I don't really have a problem with any of the recent hits against Cleveland, but he's done enough things over his career that are a bit over the line and there's definitely a pattern there. He is the modern day Jack Lambert. I think Harrison is dirty because he is pissed off at the rest of the world.

Link (http://www.blitzburghblog.com/2010-articles/october-2010/is-james-harrison-dirty.html)

Texecutioner
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Every team needs a thug/enforcer, something the Texans have never had on defense

Not one that publicly starts calling out other great players on the team as viciously as this pie hole currently is. He is a team cancer now that doesn't have common sense. He's reached a level like TO now where he is more trouble than what he's worth.

El Tejano
07-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Good move Cushing. Nice response. "I'll pray for him". No need giving that guy the extra pub. I hope you come out and whip some Steeler ass when we play them.

Double Barrel
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Cushing could almost be a James Harrison type of player on the field...as long as he keeps "over-training".

Harrison is a great player, but too big of a mouth for a mediocre team like the Texans. Only teams with strong leadership from the head coach and a winning tradition could absorb the impact of a personality of this nature. I'm thinking Patriots...except Harrison has already burned that bridge, too! D'oh!

Señor Stan
07-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Good move Cushing. Nice response. "I'll pray for him". No need giving that guy the extra pub. I hope you come out and whip some Steeler ass when we play them.

Hopefully Cushing will verify what Harrison was claiming....

that Mendenhall is a fumbling machine.

Texecutioner
07-14-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking Patriots...except Harrison has already burned that bridge, too! D'oh!

What's crazy is that I don't even think the Pats could keep a lid on this guy. He is really that angry at the world and arrogant obviously.

If the Steelers were smart my first call would be to Al Davis. Davis is the one man dumb enough to think he could just bring in Harrison because he's a great player and wouldn't even consider the backlash he'd bring to his locker room. Plus, you'd be sending Harrison to exile and punishing him for the rest of his career because Al Davis will most likely live past his retirement time so Harrison would have to finish his career and remain on a bad team for the rest of it.

The1ApplePie
07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
More goodness:

http://deadspin.com/5820867/james-harrison-probably-hates-you-too-more-quotes-from-the-mens-journal-article

"Clay Matthews, who's all hype — he had a couple of three-sack games in the first four weeks and was never heard from again — I'm quite sure I saw him put his helmet on Michael Vick and never paid a dime. But if I hit Peyton Manning or Tom Brady high, they'd have **** around and kicked me out of the league."

On the Patriots, just after his comments about their alleged cheating:

"I hate those mother****, especially those two clowns [Rodney Harrison and Teddy Bruschi] who talked about me after the fines. ... Sayin' I'm dirty — shit, Harrison was the dirtiest player ever, a steroid cheater who was known by the whole world to be a headhunter and late hitter. And Bruschi's an *****, straight-up simple. I'd like to meet them both in a dark alley."

Double Barrel
07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Can the league do anything to him since these comments were made during the lock out, when they are essentially not employed by an NFL team? There's no agreement, so I'm not sure if they will have much of a leg to stand on...which might be why he's yapping right now.

Solid player, but damn he's just making a fool of himself right now.

Texecutioner
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
More goodness:

http://deadspin.com/5820867/james-harrison-probably-hates-you-too-more-quotes-from-the-mens-journal-article

On the Patriots, just after his comments about their alleged cheating:

This guy's comments just get worse and worse. Now he is talking about wanting to meet people in dark alleys and whining about white players versus black players and pulling the race card?? Lol!

Seriously, If Goodell can suspend this guy without an appeal repelling it, I think he should be suspended on his comments alone as being detrimental towards the NFL.

Texan_Bill
07-14-2011, 06:10 PM
He's not going anywhere.

Not so fast. The Rooney family doesn't play.

Texecutioner
07-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Not so fast. The Rooney family doesn't play.

I'd be shocked at this point if he isn't traded. He has ran his mouth way beyond the norm for any player.

c10x
07-14-2011, 08:20 PM
If he gets traded, I hope we take a look.

You guys can say you don't like his attitude or his comments, but one thing is for sure. The Texans would no longer be labeled as soft and not tough. If ANYONE in the entire league embodies tough, its that guy.

He'd change the demeanor of the defense overnight, and for that, he'd be worth whatever spent to get him (within reason for a 33 year old linebacker).

Texecutioner
07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
If he gets traded, I hope we take a look.

You guys can say you don't like his attitude or his comments, but one thing is for sure. The Texans would no longer be labeled as soft and not tough. If ANYONE in the entire league embodies tough, its that guy.

He'd change the demeanor of the defense overnight, and for that, he'd be worth whatever spent to get him (within reason for a 33 year old linebacker).

He will never be a Texan. That I can assure you. Bob won't ever pick up a scumbag like him, and I don't like Bob's boyscout mentality, but in a case like this I'm glad he has standards. There are a ton of players all over the league that could make this team a "tough team" without having to get the worst pie hole that would be available.

Maddict5
07-15-2011, 08:41 AM
after reading it for the 4th time, it just struck me how dumb some of the comments were esp the big ben one

stop trying to act like peyton and just hand the damn ball off....to the fumble machine :rolleyes:

TimeKiller
07-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Pollard?

Tailgate
07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Harrison basically said he would leave a man for dead if he was on fire. Now, I am sure if this played out in real life, he would at least piss on him if he could. But still, those are pretty damn harsh comments and to me, probably the most ignorant of them all.

Texecutioner
07-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Harrison basically said he would leave a man for dead if he was on fire. Now, I am sure if this played out in real life, he would at least piss on him if he could. But still, those are pretty damn harsh comments and to me, probably the most ignorant of them all.

Also called him the devil and said that he wanted to meet Rodney Harrison and Bruschi in a dark alley and do bad things to them. That's considered a threat by many.

Rey
07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
James Harrison probably won't be traded.

The Steelers like to win.

If they were going to trade off cornerstones when they acted out, they'd have traded Rothelisberger.

I understand that he's the QB, but his transgressions were probably worse.

James Harrison shouldn't have said that in the open about his teammates, but that is something that can be handled internally. As far as his comments about the commish and other players from other teams, I doubt the steelers gives a rats ass.

Texecutioner
07-15-2011, 02:18 PM
As far as his comments about the commish and other players from other teams, I doubt the steelers gives a rats ass.

I take it that you're not that educated on the Rooney family then. They might not trade him for sure, but they've already come out and said they were disgusted by his recent comments. My guess is that he gets traded, because it's highly doubtful that Harrison does anything as far as damage control.

Rey
07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I take it that you're not that educated on the Rooney family then. They might not trade him for sure, but they've already come out and said they were disgusted by his recent comments.

Yeah, I know enough to know that they are not Bob McNair like in how they deal with outspoken or discipline challenged players.

Disgusted by his comments is vague. Doesn't say they were disgusted with ALL his comments.

They probably would rather he not say anything negative at all, but I stick to my original comment which was that I doubt they give a rats ass about his comments about other players on other teams and about how the commish has handled fining him.

badboy
07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
At least once a day I thank God for getting paid to do what I realy like. If I got paid what Harrison does to play NFL, I'd thank God at least twice a day AND keep my mouth shut.

Texecutioner
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I know enough to know that they are not Bob McNair like in how they deal with outspoken or discipline challenged players.

Disgusted by his comments is vague. Doesn't say they were disgusted with ALL his comments.

They probably would rather he not say anything negative at all, but I stick to my original comment which was that I doubt they give a rats ass about his comments about other players on other teams and about how the commish has handled fining him.

They probably don't as far as other players on teams until he goes to the point of making turning things into racial situations which is what he's doing and also by saying he'd like to meet guys in dark alleys and get violent with them. That's going over the line and becoming way to controversial. Shock tv type material there.

I did just hear that he did apologize somewhat to the organization itself and comments about his own team, so if he continues to do that and stays quiet for a change you're right that he might not be traded. The Steelers are a great team on defense though, and I don't think the loss of Harrison would be as bad to their team as many might think. They've still got a great pass rusher in Woodley and other enforcers on that team.

I can't lie though. I'd love to see this guy in a live interview just to see what comes out of his mouth right now. I don't think he knows when to keep a lid on it.

Double Barrel
07-15-2011, 04:02 PM
They might not trade him for sure, but they've already come out and said they were disgusted by his recent comments.

The Steelers have a marketing department, too, so they have to spin it.

But, I'd be shocked if they let him go. The Steelers have always been known for having great LBs, so this guy's talent gives him a "Get Out of Jail Free" card for opening his piehole and letting idiot come out.

b0ng
07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
EDIT: Looks like he's got a few years on his contract.

Don't know if the Steelers will gt rid of him since they gave him a new deal in 2009. They may trade him if the offer is right but unless he tries to hold out or something I don't see them being able to get rid of him over this unless a team is willing to deal probably a 3rd at least.

GP
07-16-2011, 01:05 AM
I take it that you're not that educated on the Rooney family then. They might not trade him for sure, but they've already come out and said they were disgusted by his recent comments. My guess is that he gets traded, because it's highly doubtful that Harrison does anything as far as damage control.

Yeah, because the Rooney family really socked it to their own disgusting QB...didn't they?

Except they didn't. They didn't axe Rapelisburger's ass, so go figure what they'll do with some guy just running off at the mouth.

We have to apply things equally here, concerning what might be done to James Harrison as it relates to what was done to Big Ben. And I'll tell you right now that what Big Ben allegedly did was a lot more disgusting than Harrison's comments.

Talent trumps character issues, to a degree. I reckon both those guys have had their Come To Jesus meeting with the Rooney family. I fully expect Harrison to announce in a few months that he's a born-again Christian and he's seen the light (and that "light" is green, the same green as cash).

Texecutioner
07-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah, because the Rooney family really socked it to their own disgusting QB...didn't they?

Except they didn't. They didn't axe Rapelisburger's ass, so go figure what they'll do with some guy just running off at the mouth.

We have to apply things equally here, concerning what might be done to James Harrison as it relates to what was done to Big Ben. And I'll tell you right now that what Big Ben allegedly did was a lot more disgusting than Harrison's comments.

Talent trumps character issues, to a degree. I reckon both those guys have had their Come To Jesus meeting with the Rooney family. I fully expect Harrison to announce in a few months that he's a born-again Christian and he's seen the light (and that "light" is green, the same green as cash).

We don't know that Ben raped anyone and I for one don't believe he did either. There was never any proof of that nor was he ever arrested even once. Technically he shouldn't have even been suspended by the team in my opinion, but to each his own.

And Ben wasn't going after his own teammates and taking jabs at them publicly. That's a line you just don't cross and most teams won't put up with that. TO's was an elite WR for years and even Jerry finally axed him over being cancerish.

The Steelers did get rid of Santonio Holmes just last off season where he was just beginning his prime and he had been extremely clutch and performed well in big games. I couldn't believe they did that, but they were sick of his nonsense. Whether Harrison gets traded or not will ultimately depend on how he acts with his team now. Is he willing to do some damage control and say all the right things while apologizing?? Will he seem remorceful when he speaks to the owner and management? Ultimately it will depend on if their management feels like this will continue and he'll sound off again causing problems in the season or if he'll shut up and realize his mistakes.

GP
07-16-2011, 02:32 AM
We don't know that Ben raped anyone and I for one don't believe he did either. There was never any proof of that nor was he ever arrested even once. Technically he shouldn't have even been suspended by the team in my opinion, but to each his own.

And Ben wasn't going after his own teammates and taking jabs at them publicly. That's a line you just don't cross and most teams won't put up with that. TO's was an elite WR for years and even Jerry finally axed him over being cancerish.

The Steelers did get rid of Santonio Holmes just last off season where he was just beginning his prime and he had been extremely clutch and performed well in big games. I couldn't believe they did that, but they were sick of his nonsense. Whether Harrison gets traded or not will ultimately depend on how he acts with his team now. Is he willing to do some damage control and say all the right things while apologizing?? Will he seem remorceful when he speaks to the owner and management? Ultimately it will depend on if their management feels like this will continue and he'll sound off again causing problems in the season or if he'll shut up and realize his mistakes.

I don't care if he was technically a rapist or not. I see enough (photos) and enough has been said about him, to know that he was (maybe still is?) a dirt bag. Period.

Harrison has already backed off his magazine statements, to a degree, which I feel was a result of probably having a serious sit-down with Steelers people. He's going to fly right. He's gotten his mind right.

A source claimed that the Steelers were prepared to release Holmes outright if they did not find a trade partner (which they did find one, in the Jets). (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5077088)

Holmes is coming off his best season, with 79 catches for 1,248 yards and five touchdowns....

...The 5-foot-11 Holmes, a first-round pick out of Ohio State in 2006, has one year remaining on his contract and will essentially be on a 12-game tryout for a long-term deal. The Jets have taken the same one-season approach with Braylon Edwards, another wide receiver who came to New York with baggage, and cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who was acquired from San Diego even though he was dealing with paternity issues.

Holmes has 235 catches for 3,835 yards and 20 touchdowns, but his troubles off the field could explain the relatively low price the Jets paid to get him. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Monday, citing anonymous sources, that the Steelers were prepared to release Holmes if they couldn't find a trade partner.

Now, why would you even go to the trouble of trying to TRADE a guy if you say you were also prepared to release him if need be? Holmes was coming off his best season the year before, and I believe he was in the final year of his contract that year--Translation: Let's get a draft pick for this guy AND not have to face him being a free agent, i.e. use him to get something NOW, rather than losing him altogether over a new contract.

All I am saying here is that it's possible that the Rooney family made more of a calculated financial move than out of any other motive. This is akin to the TTU decision to dump Mike Leach over poor little old Adam James' mistreatment when the REAl motivator was money--An $800,000 bonus due to Leach by Dec. 31 and he was handed a "You're fired" letter on Dec. 30, IIRc. Coincidence? I think not.

Money makes the world go round, and I think Holmes screwed himself with his own bad decisions, I won't argue that. I'm arguing the idea that the Rooney family has any plans for dumping their best defensive player on what is a perennially outstanding defensive squad they field on such a consistent basis. Ain't happening. Now, if he DOES continue to act up...he needs to pay attention to how may years he has left on his contract. If you know what I'm sayin'.....

DBCooper
07-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Harrison is "Uruk-hai"!

You control him with the Ring of Power!

Texecutioner
07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't care if he was technically a rapist or not. I see enough (photos) and enough has been said about him, to know that he was (maybe still is?) a dirt bag. Period.

He was a SB winning star QB. Teams just don't get rid of QB's that are as good as Ben that have won SB's for their teams. I've never seen that happen and I highly doubt you ever will if said QB is still in their prime. Every other position is a different story for the most part.

Harrison has already backed off his magazine statements, to a degree, which I feel was a result of probably having a serious sit-down with Steelers people. He's going to fly right. He's gotten his mind right.

Wow, you think that Harrison is going to fly right just because he apologized now? Shoot, I suspect that it won't be more than 6 months before this guy sounds off again. He's dumber than any athlete I've seen in a long time. He'll make some noise again. It might not be about his team, but I don't see him keeping his mouth closed on the commish.

Now, why would you even go to the trouble of trying to TRADE a guy if you say you were also prepared to release him if need be? Holmes was coming off his best season the year before, and I believe he was in the final year of his contract that year--Translation: Let's get a draft pick for this guy AND not have to face him being a free agent, i.e. use him to get something NOW, rather than losing him altogether over a new contract.

That's speculation. How do you know that the Steelers wouldn't have wanted to retain him possibly?? He was a very good receiver for them and a SB MVP. Just because he happened to be a free agent that next season doesn't mean that they wouldn't have wanted to retain him had they not had all of the difficulties they had with him over the years. He had multiple arrests and had been known as a headache and discipline problems around the organization. They got sick of it, and weren't going to put up with it anymore and they got rid of him. Those are the facts. Sure it's possible that they were making a calculated move and that had some to do with it, but you rarely see a team just let go of a guy heading into his prime that will be a very good receiver for many years. They got little value in the trade for him as well.

Money makes the world go round, and I think Holmes screwed himself with his own bad decisions, I won't argue that. I'm arguing the idea that the Rooney family has any plans for dumping their best defensive player on what is a perennially outstanding defensive squad they field on such a consistent basis. Ain't happening. Now, if he DOES continue to act up...he needs to pay attention to how may years he has left on his contract. If you know what I'm sayin'.....

Harrison is not even their best defensive player. Polumolu is. When TP went down two seasons ago their entire defense changed dramatically. When people saw that many started to feel that TP was the most impactful defensive player in the NFL. Harrison is a great player no doubt, but the Steelers could still be a great defense without him if they had a decent replacement. THey've still got Woodley who is one of the best pass rushers in the league and they've also still got James Farrior in the middle with Casey Hampton in the middle as well on the line who eats up blockers. That whole unit is nuts.

Playoffs
07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Harrison is an id!ot.

Steelers should fine him.

League should fine him, then suspend him after he pays.

He'll be in prison before Christmas. Id!ot.

beerlover
07-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Harrison is an id!ot.

Steelers should fine him.

League should fine him, then suspend him after he pays.

He'll be in prison before Christmas. Id!ot.

Harrison is just being truthful & more players may support his position than you think. Sounds like Goodell has slipped in some last minute changes to CBA that should infuriate everyone on players side, leaks to follow :fingergun:

SteveSlaton20
07-23-2011, 10:46 PM
to everyone who wouldn't want james harrison: you're all idiots.

Texecutioner
07-25-2011, 10:16 AM
to everyone who wouldn't want james harrison: you're all idiots.

Signed TO