PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld: Texans will indeed pursue Asomugha

Texans34Life
07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206087/football-headlines?r=1

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Texans do indeed plan to pursue Nnamdi Asomugha in free agency.

LaCanfora backs up defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' promise that the Texans will aggressively target defensive needs this summer. The front office and coaching staff feel pressure to "finally break through" with the first playoff berth in franchise history, and the first step is fixing the league's worst secondary. LaConfora expects Johnathan Joseph to be a fallback option. Safety Gerald Sensabaugh, who played under Phillips in Dallas, could be targeted as well.

ThaShark316
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Lets get it!

EDIT: In before pessimism.

Texans34Life
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8209f3e2/article/asomugha-could-be-part-of-solution-for-texans-in-free-agency?module=HP_headlines

The NFL lockout hasn't done the Houston Texans any favors.

For all of the talk about how the labor strife has impacted rookie players and rookie head coaches, the Texans also are in bind as they look to switch to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Wade Phillips and, more to the point, change the entire culture on that side of the ball.

There is significant pressure on the franchise to finally break through and reach the playoffs, and that task is only compounded by all of the teaching, learning and bonding time lost because of the lockout. That's all the more reason for the Texans to be aggressive in free agency, and all the more reason for them to target specific areas of the defense.

The Texans indeed are prepared to be aggressive in free agency, according to league sources, and will be among the teams pursuing All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

While awaiting a collective bargaining agreement and new free-agency rules, it's very difficult to gauge the market and how high the price for a top cornerback will go. But look for the Texans to closely monitor that market and determine if the price point on Asomugha fits their budget.

The secondary is an area in need of upgrade, and the Texans routinely have been willing to spend under dedicated owner Bob McNair. So they will target that area in free agency.

A year ago, the Texans let cornerback Dunta Robinson go, a move that was understandable given concerns about his injury history and his salary spiraling on the open market (he signed a six-year, $57 million deal with the Atlanta Falcons). Houston made a concerted push to land free-agent cornerback Leigh Bodden but ultimately lost out as he remained in New England.

Asomugha is far and away the premier cornerback available this year, but the Bengals' Jonathan Joseph is another option.

Houston also is looking for safety help, and Gerald Sensabaugh is a logical free-agent candidate. I expect the Texans to make a bid for him as well.

Sensabaugh has strong ties to Phillips through their time together in Dallas and knows the coach's system well. Sensabaugh could help teach it to others, with time of the essence after the lockout ends.

Adding a shutdown corner and a dependable safety will be imperative for a Houston team that has fallen prey to critical breakdowns at crucial times and a defense that has yielded shocking amounts of yardage and points far too often. Change is needed, and Phillips will look to shake up the make-up and attitude of that unit whenever the market finally opens.

barrett
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
We first mentioned this (http://www.texansbullblog.com/biggest-news-day-texas-major-rumor/news/) back in January on TBB. It doesn't mean we'll sign him but it's clear that the front office is ready to make some moves.

Dutchrudder
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Rick Smith: Hey Nnamdi's agent, how does 30 million over 5 years sound?
Aso's Agent: HAHAHAHA (hangs up phone)
Rick Smith: Hello? Are you there?
...silence...
Rick Smith: Well we tried. Guess I'll call Phillip Buchanon!

HoustonFrog
07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I just read last week that he won't play for a team that isn't a contender.. If you think the Texans are a contender, then this could be right. But I think this will end up as a half hearted, exploratory attempt that ends up with a lesser guy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/779/nnamdi-asomugha

FOX Sports' Adam Caplan considers the Cowboys "doubtful" to land free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.Caplan confirms that Asomugha is "expected" to sign with a contender, but Dallas will apparently focus on more affordable options in free agency.

ArlingtonTexan
07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Lets get it!

EDIT: In before pessimism.

That takes me out of the thread.

Texecutioner
07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Rick Smith: Hey Nnamdi's agent, how does 30 million over 5 years sound?
Aso's Agent: HAHAHAHA (hangs up phone)
Rick Smith: Hello? Are you there?
...silence...
Rick Smith: Well we tried. Guess I'll call Phillip Buchanon!

Exactly what will happen. Sure, anyone can say they'll go after this guy or that guy or a guy like Aso but realistically any GM with half a brain knows that it's going to cost like 70 plus Million dollars on a multi year deal to sign Aso. If the Texans aren't willing to spend that kind of money on him, then they have no chance at signing him. There are going to be a bunch of bidders for Aso and if you're not willing to play in the auction, then you're not serious about signing the guy.

ThaShark316
07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Exactly what will happen. Sure, anyone can say they'll go after this guy or that guy or a guy like Aso but realistically any GM with half a brain knows that it's going to cost like 70 plus Million dollars on a multi year deal to sign Aso. If the Texans aren't willing to spend that kind of money on him, then they have no chance at signing him. There are going to be a bunch of bidders for Aso and if you're not willing to play in the auction, then you're not serious about signing the guy.

If the Texans that go after him, then I add them to the following:

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?

Dutchrudder
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM

I think 70 million (~45 mill guaranteed) is about the price it will cost teams like the Jets, Patriots, Saints or Packers. I think the Texans will need to shell out Haynesworth or Peppers money to get him.

Just for comparison, last year's big free agent, Julius Peppers (age 30 at the time), went to the seemingly lowly Bears for 6 years, 91.5 million with 42 million guaranteed over the first 3 years.

From Wiki: Haynesworth (age 29 at the time) signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins on the first day of free agency, February 27, 2009. The deal is expected to pay Haynesworth $32 million in the first 13 months, includes $41 million guaranteed and could reach $115 million if all incentives are met (LOL).

The Redskins overpaid for Haynesworth, but given the fact that the team wasn't doing well, they had to make the best offer to get him. I think that's where the Texans are, and they will need to give up a lot for Aso.

TEXANRED
07-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?

The rest of the NFL

Corrosion
07-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Old news to me .....

steelbtexan
07-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?

Packers

and me, I want to sign ASO to a 3 yr 300,000 contract.

Aint gonna happen, just like it aint gonna happen for the Texans.

Oh well. dream on.

gary
07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I so wish free agency would start already so this debate would be over with already.

m5kwatts
07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Please stay away from Gerald "Eugene Wilson" Sensabough, Texans

I'd rather just die with Nolan and Keo than spend $ on him

TexanSam
07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Damnit, the lockout needs to end just so we can see if they actually try.

Doppelganger
07-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?

The entire league wants to sign him. Saying a specific team is going to pursue him is akin to saying man is pursuing money.

CloakNNNdagger
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Amid all the articles that have been written over the past 6 months about the Texans' "interest in" or "going after" him, I don't have a recollection of Aso ever stating that he would like to be a Texan...........until then............

Texas T
07-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Amid all the articles that have been written over the past 6 months about the Texans' "interest in" or "going after" him, I don't have a recollection of Aso ever stating that he would like to be a Texan...........until then............

This is what I've been thinking. Aso will not come here if he doesn't want to. It doesn't matter how much $$ they throw at him or how much AJ begs, he holds all the cards in this.

m5kwatts
07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
This is what I've been thinking. Aso will not come here if he doesn't want to. It doesn't matter how much $$ they throw at him or how much AJ begs, he holds all the cards in this.

I remember before the Raiders game this past year he said some good things about the Texans and mentioned he's very good friends with Andre and Walter. Whatever that's worth.

Rey
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I just read last week that he won't play for a team that isn't a contender.. If you think the Texans are a contender, then this could be right. But I think this will end up as a half hearted, exploratory attempt that ends up with a lesser guy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/779/nnamdi-asomugha

I think if Houston gets aso they are a contender. The knock on Houston is great offensive capabilities, talented front seven on defense, extremely poor secondary.

If Phillips alone can boost the defense, then you factor in the draft plus aso and I'd think we could play with the big boys.

Honestly, I think that if all those things happened and we got good play out of just two of our rookies we'd be able to make a legit playoff run. And I don't think that these are lofty goals.

With it without aso I expect an improved team next year.

Maybe aso wants more if a sure thing, but I don't think we are the cardinals, or titans or bengals where you are going to automatically rule us out as contenders.

badboy
07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
ASO has not said he wants to come here? Has he said he doesn't? Why do some have to insist ASO or any other will not come to Houston? Why stomp on hope? For over two years I was basically only one on board discussing a trade for Nnamdi and now many are hopeful that he might come as a FA and that is cool. No we might not get him but for now it is important to many of us that the Texans try to sign him.

Allstar
07-05-2011, 10:11 PM
I feel like we have a legit shot at him.

Lucky
07-05-2011, 10:39 PM

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?
Hard to know what the salary cap landscape will look like, but vet players that want to win love the Pats. I think it comes down to a Skins-Eagle showdown. The Texans could get in the mix, if they want to make Asomugha the highest paid defender in the league.

Rey
07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
ASO has not said he wants to come here? Has he said he doesn't? Why do some have to insist ASO or any other will not come to Houston? Why stomp on hope? For over two years I was basically only one on board discussing a trade for Nnamdi and now many are hopeful that he might come as a FA and that is cool. No we might not get him but for now it is important to many of us that the Texans try to sign him.

Great post. If I wasn't on my phone I'd rep you.

Aso hasn't said he wants to come here, but I don't recall him saying he has preferences to play anywhere.

ThaShark316
07-05-2011, 10:52 PM

People still let that Carlos Beltran shit with the Astros cloud their judgment. Dead ass serious. Before that, when did people say "does he want to come to Houston" about ANY player?

This city's teams have acquired stars in the past before...but still.

Allstar
07-05-2011, 10:53 PM
The "Aso won't sign because he hasn't said he wants to play here" argument is flawed. He hasn't indicated that he would like to play anywhere next season, other than Oakland.

TheMatrix31
07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I feel like Nnamdi knows, or should realize, that he'd be a bigger difference-maker for us than pretty much any other team. He may want to play for a contender, but we'd be a serious playoff/SB contender with him, and I definitely believe that. Hopefully that would be something in his mind.

Corrosion
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I feel like Nnamdi knows, or should realize, that he'd be a bigger difference-maker for us than pretty much any other team. He may want to play for a contender, but we'd be a serious playoff/SB contender with him, and I definitely believe that. Hopefully that would be something in his mind.

I have to agree - with the addition of Wade and the new scheme , a great draft (yes I said great) and a huge upgrade at the CB and FS positions , this team could (probably should) win the division going away - The offense is already one of the best in the NFL (Needs to improve red zone efficiency).

Playoffs
07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
In the end, the money will be the same.

So his decision will be Eagles, Packers, Jets, or Texans.

He wants a ring .... you do the math.

BIG TORO
07-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Texans! Duhh!

TimeKiller
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I feel like we have a legit shot at him.

Well, the Texans legitimately have the money to pursue him.

The endless ****ing debate is whether or not they will throw down the bones and the bullshit attitude towards paying players in free agency.

Thing is, if they don't get Asomugha......................then what? Re-live last year's horror and hope every bends back over to see Gary and Rick's boys underachieve NEXT year? Solid plan but I'm thinking since all the eggs are in this one basket, we better....feed....the chicken? Hmmmm.....Pay him Rick.

:money:

Ole Miss Texan
07-06-2011, 10:03 AM
We all know every team would love to have Asomugha, and there's really good arguements why each team SHOULD pursue him. The question for me comes more along the line of what do the OWNERS think? Each one is different obviously, but they're looking for Return on Investment and do they really feel like Asomugha would be worth spending, say, $10million extra per season instead of another top corner like Jonathan Joseph?

The Jets, if I'm not mistaken, have the highest payroll in the NFL. How can they sign a new player to one of the largest defensive contracts in history, when they're already paying someone at the same position a ton of money?

I think those that bring up the Salary Cap, or lackthereof, as a reason why teams would spend a lot of money are fooling themselves. Part of the negotiations right now discuss the new salary cap. There's going to be one. And there's going to be one that keep things on a level playing field (ie not a bogus made up number that every team can easily stay under). Sounds like there will be a Cap and Floor. No we don't know what it will be, but I feel pretty confident that teams aren't going to be free to do as they please with no ramifications. Owners don't want that, not in the least bit. One outrageous contract and then another effects every single team in the league. It increases the bar for every player you have or want to sign. It increases the franchise figures for the positions. Owners don't want other teams outrageously paying players b/c they will in turn have to do the same.

The Eagles look like they are in a good position to sign a handful of new good starting calibre players... AND maybe trade Kevin Kolb for D. Rodgers-Cromartie? Of course, they need to extend DeSeaon Jackson's contract who is going to want a pretty penny.

All in all, I really do think the Texans are in good position to land the top prize in free agency.

powda
07-06-2011, 10:38 AM
i'd rather we pursue Joseph. Namdi will cost more and has a shorter shelf life. I'm not down for making a 30 year old the highest paid defensive player in Nfl history just to appease the fan base.

Kimmy
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM

This is what I've heard as well. Some of you know I'm in the wireless industry and it's a small pool we swim in.

That being said, I have a very good friend who works at Verizon & has the Texans account. He has close access and told me that yes, AJ has been trying to get Nmandi here.

He doesn't want to come because he wants to win and does not feel he can do it here. He knows they money is going to be wherever he lands.

All speculation (disclaimer) I would love to have a shot at winning some games this year. I just hope Asomugha doesn't start recruiting AJ!

gary
07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
This is what I've heard as well. Some of you know I'm in the wireless industry and it's a small pool we swim in.

That being said, I have a very good friend who works at Verizon & has the Texans account. He has close access and told me that yes, AJ has been trying to get Nmandi here.

He doesn't want to come because he wants to win and does not feel he can do it here. He knows they money is going to be wherever he lands.

All speculation (disclaimer) I would love to have a shot at winning some games this year. I just hope Asomugha doesn't start recruiting AJ!I wonder why he feels this way.

Mr teX
07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
McClain made a few good points this morning regarding the signing of Aso.

For that kind of money, he'll need to shadow the best wr's all over the field much like Revis does.....This was something he didn't do much of in Oak as he primarily played on the right side of the field (i think) & played virtually no slot cb.

Now anyone who's played cb at a high level knows It's a bit of a difference from 1 side to the other & playing in the slot as a cb is a world of its own. I doubt he'll suck as bad as anyone in our secondary was last year playing in either of the areas, but he could be far from the shut down guy in 1 of those areas if Phillips asks him to shadow the #1 WR all over the field. If Phillips doesn't, then we won't be maximizing the effective of our defense.

2nd, signing Aso to a huge contract likely means we'll be limited in FA for improvement/maintaining elsewhere. We'll still need a veteran safety to help Quinn make the transition. & i know people downplay Leach's significance to our offense b/c he's a FB, but the guy was integral to our run game & Foster doesn't exactly have a track record of putting together back to back successful seasons. We'd also have Rashard's Butler's situation to deal with as well. All i'm saying is, It'd be nice to ensure the offense can at least maintain what it has.

I'd be just as happy signing Aso alone & noone else as i would be if we were able to sign a jonathan joseph & an eric weddle with hopefully enough money left over to get leach back in the fold.

VTexan
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't believe the Packers or the Jets will make a push for Namdi. The Packers live by the draft and already have a great secondary. The Jets have an extremely high payroll and paying Revis. If we spend the money, I think we have a shot to land him.

i'd rather we pursue Joseph. Namdi will cost more and has a shorter shelf life. I'm not down for making a 30 year old the highest paid defensive player in Nfl history just to appease the fan base.

We need to go after Aso fast so we have a chance to land joseph if Aso decides he does not want to go here. We need to spread out our eggs in this FA with all the solid CB's being available.

If we can get Joseph and Cromartie for the price of one ASO then I think you take that.

gary
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I'll take Weddle or Michael Bush as safety.

Mr teX
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I'll take Weddle or Michael Bush as safety.

micheal bush? doesn't he play RB? U mean Micheal Huff right?

Kimmy
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't believe the Packers or the Jets will make a push for Namdi. The Packers live by the draft and already have a great secondary. The Jets have an extremely high payroll and paying Revis. If we spend the money, I think we have a shot to land him.

We need to go after Aso fast so we have a chance to land joseph if Aso decides he does not want to go here. We need to spread out our eggs in this FA with all the solid CB's being available.

If we can get Joseph and Cromartie for the price of one ASO then I think you take that.

Oh how I would LOVE to see this team be "aggressive" in free agency.

Ole Miss Texan
07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd be perfectly happy with keeping Nnamdi on the right side and having him completely shut down that side of the field. We'll have 3-4 other DB's in coverage. I think we can maximize what Nnamdi brings by having more DBs covering a smaller area instead of spread "thin".

I would fully support getting a CB like Ike Taylor or Jonathan Joseph and also signing Eric Weddle (all examples). That would greatly improve this defense too.

infantrycak
07-06-2011, 01:08 PM

All speculation (disclaimer) I would love to have a shot at winning some games this year. I just hope Asomugha doesn't start recruiting AJ!

Are you claiming your friend has access to all the Texans' texts and is reading them?

If so, he should be fired.

beerlover
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
sorry I'm bored http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ba6lh

gary
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
micheal bush? doesn't he play RB? U mean Micheal Huff right?Yea, sorry.

Kimmy
07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Are you claiming your friend has access to all the Texans' texts and is reading them?

No, he doesn't and wouldn't. He deals with them on all their phone issues and they talk. He was at the 300 event with Adrian Peterson last week, changed Kubiak's number for the 100th time, etc.

We talk occasionally, and if the Texans come up, he'll let me know what the water cooler talk is.

That's it ...

Why is everyone looking for a fight over here?

Rey
07-06-2011, 02:27 PM
No, he doesn't and wouldn't. He deals with them on all their phone issues and they talk. He was at the 300 event with Adrian Peterson last week, changed Kubiak's number for the 100th time, etc.

We talk occasionally, and if the Texans come up, he'll let me know what the water cooler talk is.

That's it ...

No offense, but in the post that cak quoted you on it sure seemed like your friend was privy to some exclusive conversations. Aso telling dre that he doesn't think he can win with the texans doesn't just sound like water cooler talk.

That's headline worthy.

Kimmy
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I guess I didn't think it was that big of a deal as it has been reported before. He did accidentally tell me Kubes phone number, which I have long since forgotten.

We see & deal with a lot of people in our line of work and well, we both like our jobs which is why we don't tell everything ;)

Mr teX
07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I'd be perfectly happy with keeping Nnamdi on the right side and having him completely shut down that side of the field. We'll have 3-4 other DB's in coverage. I think we can maximize what Nnamdi brings by having more DBs covering a smaller area instead of spread "thin".

I would fully support getting a CB like Ike Taylor or Jonathan Joseph and also signing Eric Weddle (all examples). That would greatly improve this defense too.

the problem with this though is that teams would simply adjust by lining up their #1 WR on the other side & or in the slot. & even if we have more db's on the field, #1, it means an LB has to come off, & 2 those guys likely are going to suck & you don't want those guys potentially being matched up with a team's #1 if you're unwilling to move Aso on them wherever they line up. I think it would mess with our flexibility on defense too much.

Rey
07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
the problem with this though is that teams would simply adjust by lining up their #1 WR on the other side & or in the slot. & even if we have more db's on the field, #1, it means an LB has to come off, & 2 those guys likely are going to suck & you don't want those guys potentially being matched up with a team's #1 if you're unwilling to move Aso on them wherever they line up. I think it would mess with our flexibility on defense too much.

There are quite a few teams that use the lcb rcb. Also, if the offense starts lining up guys based on how you're lining up you are now dictating what they do.

It's really not that big of a deal because if you trust that aso is going to lock up receiver #2 then that means you can shift coverage To help the other corner.

Now if they want to use him in a Charles Woodson type role that's a different deal.

The Pencil Neck
07-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Yeah. That's more than a little bit illegal.

Allstar
07-06-2011, 03:23 PM

I find it highly unlikely that AJ would discuss things like this with the Verizon guy.

Ole Miss Texan
07-06-2011, 03:27 PM
There are quite a few teams that use the lcb rcb. Also, if the offense starts lining up guys based on how you're lining up you are now dictating what they do.

It's really not that big of a deal because if you trust that aso is going to lock up receiver #2 then that means you can shift coverage To help the other corner.

Now if they want to use him in a Charles Woodson type role that's a different deal.
It would give our safeties the luxury to not worry about getting beat deep on that side of the field, Nnamdi requires zero safety help over the top. Their focus would be on the other receivers, naturally drawing closer to them and not hesitating as much. More defenders in less space makes it harder for the Offense to operate.

Mr teX
07-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Not if you've got a TE that can work the middle of the field....which almost every team in the league has these days. Besides, I don't think it matters much to a good qb/offense anyway. I seriously doubt manning cares if Reggie Wayne is on the left or the right side of him so long as he can get a match up where Namdi isn't on him & by localizing him to 1 side you create that. For the most flexibility & to maximize our defensive capabilities, Namdi will have to be wherever that #1 is.

Rey
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Not if you've got a TE that can work the middle of the field....which almost every team in the league has these days. Besides, I don't think it matters much to a good qb/offense anyway. I seriously doubt manning cares if Reggie Wayne is on the left or the right side of him so long as he can get a match up where Namdi isn't on him & by localizing him to 1 side you create that. For the most flexibility & to maximize our defensive capabilities, Namdi will have to be wherever that #1 is.

Not sure how the te is relevant to this conversation. If a team has a good te it's a mismatch no matter what.

And I'm not sure why you'd use manning as an example when he's one of if not THE best qb to ever play the game. Of course he wouldn't care. But if you're talking about other coordinators and other qb's being on the wide side of the field vs the short side of the field matters. If you can't move your receiver to a certain side of the field it limits the routes they can run.

If an offense is keeping their number one on the opposite side of aso (which is something they wouldn't do anyways) then they are limiting themselves.

No matter how good dre is, if Walter is completely a non factor our offense isn't as good. If an offense is going to allow you to take their number two receiver away and not even challenge that guy with their top guy, then they have essentially decided to close off a portion of their offense. Not sure how that isn't a good thing for us.

There are benefits to playing both ways but it really depends on the type of defense you play and what you want your corners to do.

HoustonFrog
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
19 mil a year...won't happen here

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206127/football-headlines?r=1

In an NFL.com chat Wednesday, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora suggested that Nnamdi Asomugha could command a contract in free agency that approaches $19 million a year.
It's elite franchise quarterback money. Our projection in the spring was $72 million over five years ($14.4 million annually), but it appears we were too conservative. It's worth noting that Asomugha's last contract was worth $45.3 million across three seasons, with $28.5 million guaranteed. La Canfora believes the Bucs could be serious bidders in the Asomugha sweepstakes, pointing to their "pretty massive" proposal to Albert Haynesworth in February of 2009, and need to meet salary cap floor standards in the new CBA.

El Tejano
07-06-2011, 04:15 PM

From the article:

The secondary is an area in need of upgrade, and the Texans routinely have been willing to spend under dedicated owner Bob McNair. So they will target that area in free agency.

:lol::spit:

Texecutioner
19 mil a year...won't happen here

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206127/football-headlines?r=1

Yep. As I've stated here for months. These threads about Aso were just going to be fantasy sessions for disappointment for anyone thinking that we would be serious bidders for this guy. This franchise won't spend that kind of money no matter how badly we need a guy to fill a position of need. They just won't do it.

gary
He might as well ask for 20,000,000 a year he'd get that for sure.

Allstar
07-06-2011, 04:25 PM
He might as well ask for 20,000,000 a year he'd get that for sure.

I don't agree at all. $16 million might be more than he gets.

Mr teX
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Not sure how the te is relevant to this conversation. If a team has a good te it's a mismatch no matter what.

And I'm not sure why you'd use manning as an example when he's one of if not THE best qb to ever play the game. Of course he wouldn't care. But if you're talking about other coordinators and other qb's being on the wide side of the field vs the short side of the field matters. If you can't move your receiver to a certain side of the field it limits the routes they can run.

If an offense is keeping their number one on the opposite side of aso (which is something they wouldn't do anyways) then they are limiting themselves.

No matter how good dre is, if Walter is completely a non factor our offense isn't as good. If an offense is going to allow you to take their number two receiver away and not even challenge that guy with their top guy, then they have essentially decided to close off a portion of their offense. Not sure how that isn't a good thing for us.

There are benefits to playing both ways but it really depends on the type of defense you play and what you want your corners to do.

Uh, It kinda does matters if you've got a TE that can work the middle of the field b/c then you can't just shade your safety coverage opposite namdi to help out the 2nd cb. Those guys better be playing honest or you won't just have open, you'll have wide open targets deep middle & deep outside 3rd.

& ok, so instead of manning i'll use:

Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, Schaub or basically any competent Qb in the league.

& you kinda just made my point for me with AJ & Walter. Despite Walter being pretty much a zero opposite AJ, Schaub and AJ have been able to wreak havoc on secondaries.

I'm not saying Namdi isn't going to help us tremendously but, the reality is that 1 guy alone ain't gonna fix our horrible secondary. I think the texans need to be more open to landing "pieces" rather than just a "piece".

HoustonFrog
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Uh, It kinda does matters if you've got a TE that can work the middle of the field b/c then you can't just shade your safety coverage opposite namdi to help out the 2nd cb. Those guys better be playing honest or you won't just have open, you'll have wide open targets deep middle & deep outside 3rd.

& ok, so instead of manning i'll use:

Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, Schaub or basically any competent Qb in the league.

& you kinda just made my point for me with AJ & Walter. Despite Walter being pretty much a zero opposite AJ, Schaub and AJ have been able to wreak havoc on secondaries.

I'm not saying Namdi isn't going to help us tremendously but, the reality is that 1 guy alone ain't gonna fix our horrible secondary. I think the texans need to be more open to landing "pieces" rather than just a "piece".

Like they have for 9 years now....on the right track :)

gary
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't agree at all. $16 million might be more than he gets.You are owner looking to put your team on the map and win the big game then some owner will pay him pretty much whatever he wants.

Ole Miss Texan
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Jonathan Joseph at $10MM per year (more than Dunta Robinson's contract).
Eric Weddle at $6MM per year (more than O.J. Atogwe's contract).
Vonta Leach at $4MM per year (more than last contract).

or Nnamdi Asomugha at $20MM per year?

As much as I would love Nnamdi, I'd take Joseph and Weddle. Let's say Nnamdi get $17MM, smart money would still be getting on two pro-bowl calibre DB's vs. 1 all-pro. Of course, it may be tougher to get two players on board as opposed to just one.

If we walk away from free agency with any of these guys we're mentioning, I'll be thrilled.

Blake
07-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Rotoworld: Texans will indeed pursue Asomugha

This just in. NFL teams will look into signing free agents to upgrade their weakest positions.

:chef:

Allstar
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
The notion that Nnamdi will get 20 Mil is absolutely ridculous. No one will pay him that much.

gary
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
The notion that Nnamdi will get 20 Mil is absolutely ridculous. No one will pay him that much.Crazier things have happened.

Allstar
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Matt Schaub likes Nnamdi Asomugha (http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/07/06/matt-schaub-likes-nnamdi-asomugha/)

Matt Schaub was on The SiriusXM Blitz with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon today, and the duo asked the Texans quarterback a little about the club’s reported interest in Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

Schaub didn’t hesitate when asked whether or not the All-Pro corner would be a good fit with the Houston D.

“I totally think it would be a great fit for him. A lot of us on the team know him fairly well. We’ve played Oakland it seems like every year, at least since I’ve been in the organization for the last four years…Him and Andre (Johnson) have a good relationship. I definitely see it as a great fit for him with this new scheme that we’re bringing in and what Wade’s (Phillips) going to be able to do, and especially the teams that we play. He’s going to get a lot of action and get to cover some good receivers.”

When Schein followed up Schaub’s quote with a question about whether or not he would try to persuade Asomugha to sign with the Texans, Schaub responded with:

“I think 1,500 other guys across the league are going to try to recruit him, for sure. I think we definitely will do our part. As far as the missing piece, there were numerous things that caused us to fall short of our goals last season, and it’s hard to say that there’s one guy out there that can correct everything we went through and everything that we did. Obviously he’s a tremendous player, and arguably the best corner in the game. He can definitely help us and really help shut down half of the field.”

GP
07-06-2011, 05:25 PM

That's it ...

Well, I for one am thankful you posted the information. I never wondered if the info your friend acquired was legal/illegal. I figured you meant that he speaks with AJ, personally, regarding cell phone account.

I think most people never blinked when you posted it. Your secret is safe with me. Keep the intel coming our way.

GP
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I find it highly unlikely that AJ would discuss things like this with the Verizon guy.

I don't find it unlikely.

Players are people. They talk. And hell, this is all a pipe dream conversation anyways. Makes perfect sense that a guy like AJ, if asked, would throw in his opinion on the matter. He of all people knows we won't get him, so he can be as loose with information as he wants. It's not like he's going to be blowing the lid off some impending deal for Aso. LOL.

I mean, it's no big secret: (1) He's the BEST secondary player over a long span of time, (2) He's going to get whatever amount he wants and from whichever team he wants.

I'm like Kimmy. I don't know why there's such an uproar over this. It's a tiny piece of information she offered. You guys are quoting legalities and casting doubt on something she shared for fun, and she was doing it to give a boost to the topic since there's little fresh news coming out on it.

It's like some of you guys are trying to show off your knowledge of legal issues and pull a "Did ya' know?" clinic.

Geez.

thunderkyss
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I think if Houston gets aso they are a contender. The knock on Houston is great offensive capabilities, talented front seven on defense, extremely poor secondary.

If Phillips alone can boost the defense, then you factor in the draft plus aso and I'd think we could play with the big boys.

The extremely poor secondary knock is recent. Prior to last year, we we're simply poor & that talented front seven has also been an underachieving front seven.

The real knock on the Texans, is if it isn't one thing, it's something else. That has been especially true in the Gary Kubiak years. Another constant has been the total lack of a passrush.

& that's what I'm worried about.

Texecutioner
07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
The extremely poor secondary knock is recent. Prior to last year, we we're simply poor & that talented front seven has also been an underachieving front seven.

They were extremely poor the season before that. They were burnt all season practically. I talked about it all before the season started last year, but for some reason people thought that Jackson was automatically going to be a stud and an upgrade over Dunta just because they wanted him to be. Our secondary has never been good though under Kubes. Hell it was never good under Capers other than the season Dunta first got here when we still had Glenn. It was okay then. Other than that, we've never had a good safety and our corners have been bad.

thunderkyss
07-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I'm sure Aso would probably believe that about any team he might consider.

In an NFL.com chat Wednesday, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora suggested that Nnamdi Asomugha could command a contract in free agency that approaches $19 million a year.
It'd make him the highest paid player in NFL history. Our projection in the spring was $72 million over five years ($14.4 million annually), but it appears we were too conservative. It's worth noting that Asomugha's last contract was for $45.3 million across three seasons, with $28.5 million guaranteed. La Canfora believes the Bucs could be serious bidders for Asomugha, pointing to their "pretty massive" proposal to Albert Haynesworth in February of 2009, and need to reach the salary cap "floor" in the new CBA.

Looks like the bidding will start at $19M/yr...........

thunderkyss
07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
The offense is already one of the best in the NFL (Needs to improve red zone efficiency).

Why do people say this?

Only 4 teams were better in Red Zone scoring percentage. (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct)

Of those 4, only 2 had more Red Zone opportunities. (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-attempts-per-game)

GP
07-06-2011, 05:54 PM

The real knock on the Texans, is if it isn't one thing, it's something else. That has been especially true in the Gary Kubiak years. Another constant has been the total lack of a passrush.

& that's what I'm worried about.

The problem is that Gary is so good on offense but he doesn't know jack squat about defense, and he was hiring people who ALSO didn't know jack squat about defense. So it was a farce from one end to the other. A complete screw-up.

And therefore, all along the way, we had been drafting these guys in the secondary that have ended up being poorly picked and poorly coached (maybe some of it's on Rick Smith, I don't care to argue that right now).

The strength of our team is the LB unit. The d-line is next best. And the secondary is so far in last place that it ain't funny.

1. QB? Fixed

2. RB? Fixed

3. OL? Decent

4. TE? Steady and consistent

5. Special Teams? Meh. It can't stay bad like it was in 2010.

6. DL? JJ Watt should help, IMO

7. LB? Sort of like TE position--Decent and serviceable

8. DBs? AWFUL. Period. And that's FOUR guys at a minimum--2 CBs and 2 S. They look double awful when we go into nickel. Triple awful in dime.

I see the trend: Our offense is never off-beat. Plug and play.

Our defense has been a red-headed step-child. For that, I grade the trio of guys--McNair, Smith, and Kubiak--a D- for not having the smarts to get a genuinely GOOD and reliable d-coord who could do on defense what Kubiak can do on offense. It makes me think that Gary didn't want a strong, proven d-coord here because HE wants to be the smartest guy in the room--Job security, you know? No challengers to the throne, so to speak. Well, that and what I think has always been a frugal McNair as to keeping the Texans in the red financially. It's a combo of things, IMO.

There's no excuse for this. Pure and simple neglect and borderline arrogance for those three guys to have assumed they can wing it on defense and not bring in a strong guy as d-coord with a proven track record. It smacks of "Our offense is so good that our defense can be average or even poor and we'll STILL win with our offense." If those three believed that Richard Smith and Frank Bush were good enough to pull it off, then those three stooges are certified insane.

But hey, McNair proved he and his two guys had the wrong thinking when they retained Kubiak and hired Wade Phillips. That was admitting guilt, IMO. That was them surrendering and finally admitting they screwed up for five years. (Sigh).....

Kimmy
07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't find it unlikely.

Players are people. They talk. And hell, this is all a pipe dream conversation anyways. Makes perfect sense that a guy like AJ, if asked, would throw in his opinion on the matter. He of all people knows we won't get him, so he can be as loose with information as he wants. It's not like he's going to be blowing the lid off some impending deal for Aso. LOL.

I mean, it's no big secret: (1) He's the BEST secondary player over a long span of time, (2) He's going to get whatever amount he wants and from whichever team he wants.

I'm like Kimmy. I don't know why there's such an uproar over this. It's a tiny piece of information she offered. You guys are quoting legalities and casting doubt on something she shared for fun, and she was doing it to give a boost to the topic since there's little fresh news coming out on it.

It's like some of you guys are trying to show off your knowledge of legal issues and pull a "Did ya' know?" clinic.

Geez.

Thanks, and yes .. it was exactly like that. It was simple conversation. Verizon has the NFL contract now and believe me, they've got deep pockets and give these guys whatever they want.

So, there's a lot of contractual things (like the 300 event with AP), plus actual phone calls like "hey, my 6 button isn't working anymore". They talk.

Have you ever become friendly and discussed things beyond business with any of your reps? Be it real estate, car dealership, etc? We are all human.

However ... my buddy is coming BACK to Sprint lol ... soooo, any more tidbits will be far and few between ....

Maybe I can pump him for Kubiaks number ;)

House of Pain
07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe I can pump him for Kubiaks number ;)

Does your significant other know about this? Because you are one HELL of a Texans fan!

Allstar
07-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Revis, who went through that circus last year for a new contract, is making around $10 million. Does anyone think that Aso is worth the price of 2 Revises? Didn't think so. Aso will not become the highest player in the league, he's not a QB.

Kimmy
07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Does your significant other know about this? Because you are one HELL of a Texans fan!

Hahahahaha .... breathe .... hahahahaha .....

Rey
07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Why do people say this?

Only 4 teams were better in Red Zone scoring percentage. (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct)

Of those 4, only 2 had more Red Zone opportunities. (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-attempts-per-game)

What's wrong in shooting for number one?

Or at least top three?

gary
07-06-2011, 07:34 PM
What's wrong in shooting for number one?

Or at least top three?
Nothing.

VTexan
07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
As a business guy, I don't see Aso getting 19 million dollars coming right off the back of a new CBA.

False Start
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
It would be the first really big move in franchise history, and could really shake the image of the team as far as being satisfied with mediocrity, but unfortunately I just dont think it will happen. I don't see him wanting to sign with a franchise without a history of winning consistently. I REALLY hope I'm wrong though. http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/1sm134plead.gif

TheMatrix31
07-06-2011, 08:05 PM
He's not getting 19 million dollars a year. Not gonna happen.

steelbtexan
07-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Who have the Texans signed for top $$$$?

What player of Aso caliber have the Texans signed in FA?

I'll believe it when I see it.

drs23
07-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm in the unpopular camp...again.

I'd snag Eric Weddel & Jonathan Joseph so quick (IF THEY) would come here it'd make your head spin. I'm on record in other posts saying one guy isn't gonna take us to the Super Bowl. Money spent wisely on several, I think, will give us a much better chance to get there. We still need quality depth and it's out there as well.

This is the best year in many where a team like the Texans can really fill their shopping basket with player that can help. Right Now! JMO

Needed one more paragraph to make 4. :D

Nawzer
07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
As much as I like Aso, I don't see him in a Texans uni. I think they should definitely try their best, but I think Jonathan Joseph or a Carlos Rogers is the best they can do. I don't think Ike Taylor wants to leave the Steelers unless a team severely overpays for him.

Texan_Bill
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Rotoworld: Texans will indeed pursue Asomugha

In related news, the Sky is blue and water is wet! :D

Something tells me we will come up short!

beerlover
07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Who have the Texans signed for top $$$$?

What player of Aso caliber have the Texans signed in FA?

I'll believe it when I see it.

AJ signed two extensions & DeMeco one. Something must be good here, they just need to convince Aso same. I'm far from confident but I'm even farther from all this negativity. I understand it but it's a sad statement how this organization has disappointed season ticket holders & all Texan fans far & wide. Things are going to have to change, I just feel it!

Corrosion
07-06-2011, 11:04 PM

FWIW ..... From what Ive heard , and thats not the media , the Texans are very serious about signing Asomugha and that Bob is willing to back up the brinks truck .....

As a business guy, I don't see Aso getting 19 million dollars coming right off the back of a new CBA.

The CBA not being ironed out , the owners wanting to cut back on salary , QB's dont make $19m ..... but the guy is worth what the biggest spender is willing to pay him.

I think his value may be limited by the CBA and that $19m number is an attempt to increase the value due to the past uncapped year. $14m-$15m .... probably closer to the truth unless someone just goes stupid which has been known to happen.

GP
07-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm in the unpopular camp...again.

I'd snag Eric Weddel & Jonathan Joseph so quick (IF THEY) would come here it'd make your head spin. I'm on record in other posts saying one guy isn't gonna take us to the Super Bowl. Money spent wisely on several, I think, will give us a much better chance to get there. We still need quality depth and it's out there as well.

This is the best year in many where a team like the Texans can really fill their shopping basket with player that can help. Right Now! JMO

Needed one more paragraph to make 4. :D

LOL. :evil:

FR0497
07-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Just reported on ESPN as well.

leebigeztx
07-07-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm a huge nmandi fan, but I think the texans need 2 impact players on that side vs 1. I think marshall and franklin should be the guys. Marshall is no nmandi, but he is a pro bowl caliber corner and he's still young. Franklin is the type of nt they really need to make the defense roll. He works down the line, can get sacks, and is very,very disruptive. Those 2 guys will help the texans defense and cost the same combined vs just paying nmandi.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

Who's Leigh Bodden for a 1000, Alex.

We probably won't get him, but we'll help him drive his asking price up, that's for damn sure.

Houston's great at helping free agents!

Signed,

Carlos Beltran

beerlover
07-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Who's Leigh Bodden for a 1000, Alex.

We probably won't get him, but we'll help him drive his asking price up, that's for damn sure.

Houston's great at helping free agents!

Signed,

Carlos Beltran

so are Houston business plans just plain flawed or is it that no one wants to come & live here? surely there is some misinformation & lack of public perception just what a great place to live Houston actually is!

Mr teX
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
so are Houston business plans just plain flawed or is it that no one wants to come & live here? surely there is some misinformation & lack of public perception just what a great place to live Houston actually is!

I love living in houston, i practically grew up here & can't see myself living in any other city......well maybe San Francisco.....But with that being said, people who live here over sell living in houston all the time.

If i'm a highly sought after FA in any sport that wasn't from here & i literally had my choice of city to live in to play pro ball & the usual suspects (NY, CHI, MIA, LA etc.) are involved, Most are gonna go there before they look at houston. Bottom line is, we've got to stand out in so form or fashion to get noticed..i.e. paying the most, winning & well, we're none of the above, it's just a fact.

beerlover
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I love living in houston, i practically grew up here & can't see myself living in any other city......well maybe San Francisco.....But with that being said, people who live here over sell living in houston all the time.
If i'm a highly sought after FA in any sport that wasn't from here & i literally had my choice of city to live in to play pro ball & the usual suspects (NY, CHI, MIA, LA etc.) are involved, Most are gonna go there before they look at houston. Bottom line is, we've got to stand out in so form or fashion to get noticed..i.e. paying the most, winning & well, we're none of the above, it's just a fact.

well said, clearly what Texans are up against but then how is this sports business estimated value ranked 10th out of all of sports entities, yet can't compete for top talent?

Ole Miss Texan
07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
well said, clearly what Texans are up against but then how is this sports business estimated value ranked 10th out of all of sports entities, yet can't compete for top talent?
Because of the record franchise fee McNair paid for the team, the value of the stadium, the naming rights deal with Reliant and increased revenue from tv contracts.

Houston is a great city but if I'm a 20-30 year old making millions of dollars per year, I'd much rather go live in NYC, Boston, Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, etc. The reasons for me to choose Houston over those spots would be (i) bigger contract, (ii) better team/chance of championship, (iii) better coaches/management/organization. Right now we have to sell ourselves as best we can and pay FA's more. Otherwise, we're not going to be a bigtime destination until we're a consistent championship contender. I say let's go ahead and start winning some playoff games and watch the free agents start coming over. ;)

jaayteetx
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM

AJ is going nowhere...he is locked up contract wise.

HOU-TEX
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
What about Terence Newman if he's released by the cowboys? Had a rough go of it last year, but might be worth it if we're unable to snag a top tier guy.

ChampionTexan
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
What about Terence Newman if he's released by the cowboys? Had a rough go of it last year, but might be worth it if we're unable to snag a top tier guy.

The reality of the situation is that with the non-existent OTA's and minicamps, and the abbreviated training camp that we could possibly see, there may be a premium on players who have spent some time playing in Wade's system recently. Not just because they would know most, if not all, of the system coming in, but because they could essentially be coaches on the field.

Not a perfect world, and there may be little benefit to that beyond this year, but it seems like the 2011 season would be a pretty good thing for Gary, Rick and Wade to be focusing on with laser-like intensity.

Gerald Sensabaugh and Marcus Spears are two other player's who may have enhanced value to the Texans because of this. None of these guys would be considered high-end options, so I would expect and hope that they could be attracted at a relatively reasonable price (Well, reasonable as defined by NFL 2011 standards).

Corrosion
07-07-2011, 02:34 PM

He doesn't want to come because he wants to win and does not feel he can do it here.

Completely opposite of what Ive heard ..... but then again , my sources probably arent as good as the Texans wireless service provider. :kitten:

False Start
07-07-2011, 04:01 PM
lol.... (http://youtu.be/GZ0qqb-gRHg) :kubepalm:

badboy
07-08-2011, 12:38 AM
As much as I like Aso, I don't see him in a Texans uni. I think they should definitely try their best, but I think Jonathan Joseph or a Carlos Rogers is the best they can do. I don't think Ike Taylor wants to leave the Steelers unless a team severely overpays for him.

If ASO does not come to Houston because he does not think we can win SB, why would JJ or Rogers?

Allstar
07-08-2011, 12:50 AM
If ASO does not come to Houston because he does not think we can win SB, why would JJ or Rogers?

Because we can overpay them. Aso can get big bucks everywhere. It's much more of a bidding war with the others.

badboy
07-08-2011, 12:54 AM
:hurrah:Because we can overpay them. Aso can get big bucks everywhere. It's much more of a bidding war with the others.So there is evidence that these two or any others have said "screw winning, I am after the bucks"? I think many are posting what they think will happen or what players will do but have nothing to support that opinion.

ArlingtonTexan
07-08-2011, 12:55 AM

It is matter of pure leverage.

Aso can pretty much dictate where goes by his terms. He has been considered an elite player and an above average person for the last 5 plus years. The choice is his for whatever reason he chooses. the texans can make a bid, but Aso is in totlal control. We (texans) won't be in the running unless he wants us there. (which is at question)

These other guys while nice NFL players do not have that clear of an option. They have say (so they can go well I really don't like the Texans), but they will have only a relative handful of teams wanting their services. they are not good enough to name their situation (winning, climate, family, etc) without sacrificing the bottomline.

houstonspartan
07-08-2011, 01:19 AM
It is matter of pure leverage.

Aso can pretty much dictate where goes by his terms. He has been considered an elite player and an above average person for the last 5 plus years. The choice is his for whatever reason he chooses. the texans can make a bid, but Aso is in totlal control. We (texans) won't be in the running unless he wants us there. (which is at question)

These other guys while nice NFL players do not have that clear of an option. They have say (so they can go well I really don't like the Texans), but they will have only a relative handful of teams wanting their services. they are not good enough to name their situation (winning, climate, family, etc) without sacrificing the bottomline.

Well said, and I agree. Though, even ASO will have to make choices. For example, if he wants a warm climate AND a legit shot at a ring, I don't see many options. I can't think of any warm climate teams that are expected to really contend any time soon. Atlanta, maybe? Even then, they couldn't afford him.

New Orleans, sure, but do they even need a CB?

Even still, you're right: Aso has much, much more leverage than those other guys.

Allstar
07-08-2011, 02:29 AM
:hurrah:So there is evidence that these two or any others have said "screw winning, I am after the bucks"? I think many are posting what they think will happen or what players will do but have nothing to support that opinion.

History would be the evidence. It is a business, it's not like these men are running a charity. Also, you asked why and I provided a legitimate reason. We are all speaking in hypotheticals, it's not like I'm passing it off as a fact. Choosing a place for less money is more of the exception rather than the rule. For every Cliff Lee there is 7 Albert Haynesworths.