PDA

View Full Version : Nike and NFL's Vick Team Up

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Is it too soon? Will Vick after coming back and enjoying reacclimation to fame and "success" slip back into a life of entitlement with no boundaries?

Per the Wall Street Journal:

Michael Vick and Nike Inc. are a team again, as the National Football League quarterback has entered an endorsement pact with the sportswear supplier after a 2007 dog-fighting scandal put him behind bars.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Nike said Friday. "Michael acknowledges his past mistakes. We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field."

No other details about the deal were disclosed.

This is the third endorsement deal Mr. Vick has signed after his return to football two seasons ago. The scandal caused Nike, and other sponsors such as Coca-Cola Co. to drop him. Sports-accessories suppliers Unequal Technologies and Core Synergy signed Mr. Vick in January and in March, respectively.

Mr. Vick has been re-establishing himself in the NFL following his jail sentence. He signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009 as a backup quarterback. He became starting quarterback last season and put up career bests in passing numbers.

The announcement follows news this week that Tiger Woods—another scandal-bitten sports star—has signed an endorsement deal with Japan-based Kowa Co. to market heat rub used to relieve muscle and joint pain.

Clearly, Mr. Vick is winning back fans. Jersey sales are a strong indicator of an athlete's endorsement appeal, said Kevin Adler, the founder and president of Engage Marketing. In January, with the NFL winding down, Mr. Vick ranked sixth, behind New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, according to the Chicago-based marketing firm.

Mr. Adler cautioned that while the public tends to forgive celebrities for marriage infidelity and drug use, the taint of dog-fighting may continue to keep companies—especially family-centric ones—at bay.

He added that Nike historically has been more daring in dealing with controversial athletes. "Nike has always been a little more comfortable living on the edge."

Trap_Star
07-02-2011, 11:11 PM
he's done what everyone wanted. he's said all the right things (even if he doesn't really mean it) and performed on the field. after everything he's been through, he'd be the biggest ***** that ever lived to f it up again with some stupid ****.

CloakNNNdagger
07-03-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm pulling for him. But will gaining money and fame again go to his head?

Study: Prisons failing to deter repeat criminals in 41 states (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-04-12-Prison-recidivism-rates-hold-steady.htm) (Keep in mind that this study doesn't count those that return to crime but aren't caught and imprisoned)

HJam72
07-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Nike doesn't exactly have the most stellar reputation either; so, whatever.

I really don't need to hear their excuses over a dog-abusing athlete when my opinion of them is lower than him in the first place.

What's his excuse for wearing a symbol for sweat shops and child labor?

Plus, here's what I think of when I think of Nike shoes:

1. OVERPRICED

2. Don't fit right and aren't really comfortable (and this is for MOST people).

3. Usually too thick (although this is high quality) and HOT

4. too showy, too immature

5. The fact that some athlete gets paid a gazillion dollars a year to "endorse" them and pretend they are just so great and somehow improve his performance (pft) just makes me think more about how they are overpriced and that I should be embarrassed to fall for that crap and walk around in public wearing their logo.

OK, I'm done ranting about shoes and dogs and poor kids supporting their lazy fathers. I'd say its a perfect match.

OzzO
07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Just did it.

But that's okay, we forgive him now.... and we wanna ride this wave before somone else grabs it.

HJam72
07-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I do gotta admit, they guy was incredible this last year.

No more accusing him of just being a runner. Dude's got skills.

Now we'll see if he can do it in some crappy Nikes, LOL.

IDEXAN
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I mean afterall, who really thinks a Pitt-Bull is a real dog ?

CloakNNNdagger
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Nike doesn't exactly have the most stellar reputation either; so, whatever.

I really don't need to hear their excuses over a dog-abusing athlete when my opinion of them is lower than him in the first place.

What's his excuse for wearing a symbol for sweat shops and child labor?

Plus, here's what I think of when I think of Nike shoes:

1. OVERPRICED

2. Don't fit right and aren't really comfortable (and this is for MOST people).

3. Usually too thick (although this is high quality) and HOT

4. too showy, too immature

5. The fact that some athlete gets paid a gazillion dollars a year to "endorse" them and pretend they are just so great and somehow improve his performance (pft) just makes me think more about how they are overpriced and that I should be embarrassed to fall for that crap and walk around in public wearing their logo.

OK, I'm done ranting about shoes and dogs and poor kids supporting their lazy fathers. I'd say its a perfect match.

Anything for a buck.

Nike's involvement in slimy Oregon recruiting scandal wearing thin (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2015540795_kelley08.html?prmid=head_main)

Blake
07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
I still condemn Vick for what he has done. You dont get to kill dozens of dogs, go to jail for 2 years and magically expect everyone to forgive you. Yes he has earned his freedom, and an opportunity to get a job. And apparently he has done that fantastically. But I still resent him and any company that would endorse him.

Showtime100
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I still condemn Vick for what he has done. You dont get to kill dozens of dogs, go to jail for 2 years and magically expect everyone to forgive you. Yes he has earned his freedom, and an opportunity to get a job. And apparently he has done that fantastically. But I still resent him and any company that would endorse him.

Well said. I feel the same way.

Texecutioner
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM

x3............

Dutchrudder
07-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I haven't bought anything from Nike since I was 10 and wanted a pair of Michael Jordan shoes. I don't know why, but the thought of having MJ shoes made me think I could dunk on a 10 foot hoop. Maybe having Michael Vick shoes or jackets will make kids think they can outrun the defense. I dunno, kids are dumb.