PDA

View Full Version : Kubes on his #2 WR(s)

DocBar
06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Not sure about this (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/28/gary-kubiak-sounds-content-with-his-wideouts/), but I think it's more of a politically correct statement than anything else. At least I hope so.

“I would tell the people that ask that question that if you put Jacoby and Kevin Walter’s numbers together last year, they add up to about 102 catches and 1,200 yards, and that would be the best number two receiver in football,” Kubiak said. “I like our two players. I think they’re both damned good players.”

EDIT: Not having to worry about post season stats sure makes it easy to research the Texans. I hope that changes, starting this year.

EllisUnit
06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Not sure about this (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/28/gary-kubiak-sounds-content-with-his-wideouts/), but I think it's more of a politically correct statement than anything else. At least I hope so.

JJ will be back

DocBar
06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
JJ will be back

Thanks for crappin on my heart.

TexanSam
06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah...but you can't have #2 wide receivers. Just because two mediocre receivers combined numbers added up to that doesn't mean we have a #2. I like Walter but I think he's best suited as our 3rd wideout. Jacoby is useful as a punt returner but as a receiver not so much.

Rey
06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
How many other teams can say that about their number 2 and 3 receivers?

I don't get that statement.

I don't think we're hurting for targets but if the opportunity arises to add another legitimate threat why not take it.

DocBar
06-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah...but you can't have #2 wide receivers. Just because two mediocre receivers combined numbers added up to that doesn't mean we have a #2. I like Walter but I think he's best suited as our 3rd wideout. Jacoby is useful as a punt returner but as a receiver not so much.Walter has proven (http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=HOU) to be a very good possesion receiver. The question is whether you value that type as a #2 or not. JJ is far too erratic for me to consider anything more than a #3. I was laughing my butt off at Kubes combining their numbers.

ThaShark316
06-28-2011, 07:32 PM
To be honest, it's not really a big deal. Trying to keep the peace. I'd say the same ****. He ain't say "we don't need nothing"...it's a PC answer.

Hell, I'd say the same thing. "Heck yeah, we got two good WRs!"

*....3 minutes after the interview...*

"Psssssst....Carolina, about that 3rd round pick..."

steelbtexan
06-28-2011, 07:42 PM
This is just Gary being overly loyal to his guys.

Loser

EllisUnit
06-28-2011, 07:54 PM
This is just Gary being overly loyal to his guys.

Loser

Nothing wrong with loyalty its something that you need to respect. Even if it is the wrong choice.

Kaiser Toro
06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
1 + 1 = 2 :kubepalm:

badboy
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
We got WRs and prolly will not get a better one in free agency we better hope each has a very good year. I will not bash Gary for this. I'd probably have done the same.

gary
06-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Either Gary is being loyal or not entirely truthful.

El Tejano
06-28-2011, 10:32 PM
The translation for Kubiak's quotes is exactly what this franchise is based off of:

We will build our team through the draft, we aren't going to do anything crazy in free agency and so long as we remember that, we will be on what this franchise calls the right track.

m5kwatts
06-28-2011, 10:54 PM
TWO WORDS

DORIN. DICKERSON. Breakout WR for next year.

gary
06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
TWO WORDS

DORIN. DICKERSON. Breakout WR for next year.That would be nice.

m5kwatts
06-29-2011, 12:09 AM
That would be nice.

Not drafting a WR was probably the biggest endorsement he could've gotten.

Dutchrudder
06-29-2011, 09:03 AM
The sad thing is that we can't combine any two of our cornerbacks to come up with a decent one...

houstonspartan
06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
The Jacoby Jones experiment is long past its expiration date. We SHOULD trade him and see what we get. But, we won't. Gary will sell his soul to the devil to keep Jacoby Jones.

And it's really sad that he used statistics of two so-so reciever to come up wtih one great reciever. That is so lame I almost don't know what to say. It's one reason why a lot of fans jump on the statistics bandwagon and rattle off numbers to defend this team.

Sad.

False Start
06-29-2011, 09:18 AM
I hope he is just saying this to the media to keep things under wrap. I really would like the Texans to sign a legit #2 receiver. Walter is decent but hes not what he was when he first arrived, but still a very good 3. Jacoby still makes me cringe every time the ball is thrown to him. :hide:

Hervoyel
06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
TWO WORDS

DORIN. DICKERSON. Breakout WR for next year.

Exactly. IF "The Dorin Dickerson Experiment" works out the way they hope the question becomes moot .

I think Dickerson is going to be a very dangerous man in 2011. He's gonna eat lightning and crap thunder.

Dutchrudder
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
The Jacoby Jones experiment is long past its expiration date. We SHOULD trade him and see what we get. But, we won't. Gary will sell his soul to the devil to keep Jacoby Jones.

And it's really sad that he used statistics of two so-so reciever to come up wtih one great reciever. That is so lame I almost don't know what to say. It's one reason why a lot of fans jump on the statistics bandwagon and rattle off numbers to defend this team.

Sad.

You can't trade a free agent.

steelbtexan
06-29-2011, 10:29 AM
If this is Gary's thought process.

It helps explain why the Texans have stunk during his 5 yr tenure and will continue to do so.

houstonspartan
06-29-2011, 11:37 AM
You can't trade a free agent.

You are correct. Brain fart. Thanks for correcting.

I still want Jacoby gone, though. Enough already with "It's time for Jacoby to step it up" nonsense.

m5kwatts
06-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Huffing and puffing over Walter/Jacoby is a waste of time.

Presenting next year's #2 WR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8pkmagg5c

dalemurphy
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Huffing and puffing over Walter/Jacoby is a waste of time.

Presenting next year's #2 WR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8pkmagg5c

Relying on Dickerson would be a classic blunder by this organization. Surely they have learned from the past mistakes of counting on young/unproven players when relatively cheap/veterans are available in the market:

1. CBs in 2010
2. Safeties in 2009
3. DT every year (sorry, Jeff Zgoniga doesn't count!)

I'm still a supporter of Smithiak. But, if they don't go get a quality #2 or #3 WR in this market, then it better be because they just signed two top tier DBs.

Norg
06-30-2011, 02:41 AM
SO is he saying he wish Kevin and Jones need to Fuse into one player !!!!!!!!!!

V3rm0nt3r
06-30-2011, 03:35 AM

A Walter combined with Jacoby's athleticism would be fun to watch.

AnthonyE
06-30-2011, 04:04 AM

A Walter combined with Jacoby's athleticism would be fun to watch.

WARNING: It's about to get nerdy up in here.

Perhaps they should perform the fusion dance?
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/Litch925/180px-FusionDance.gif

Lucky
06-30-2011, 06:10 AM
I'm still a supporter of Smithiak. But, if they don't go get a quality #2 or #3 WR in this market, then it better be because they just signed two top tier DBs.
Signing secondary help has to happen, regardless of what happens at the receiver position.

And it's really sad that he used statistics of two so-so reciever to come up wtih one great reciever. That is so lame I almost don't know what to say.
Some statistics do tell a story. Like Kubiak's 37-43 record over 5 seasons. But, there are only a handful of #2 & #3 WR combos with better numbers than Walter and Jones. And those teams don't get the production from RBs and TEs as the Texans do.

While it would be nice to have a more proven WR across from AJ, I don't know if the Texans would get the bang for their buck. What they need to do is lean more heavily on the run game, mix in Tate and Ward to give Foster more rest, and try to keep their defense off the field.

The1ApplePie
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
If the Texans can't land Aso (and they won't), then they might as well throw a ton of cash at Sydney Rice to be our No. 2 WR.

Rey
06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
#2 receiver isn't a NEED. But it would help make the offense more potent and potentially help alleviate some of the lulls that we have experienced in the past.

A healthy OD, though, would probably do the trick though. Also, if they could get Casey and Dickerson involved in the offense more that would be nice. We have weapons, but lots of times it seems Kubiak is slow to use them.

dalemurphy
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
#2 receiver isn't a NEED. But it would help make the offense more potent and potentially help alleviate some of the lulls that we have experienced in the past.

A healthy OD, though, would probably do the trick though. Also, if they could get Casey and Dickerson involved in the offense more that would be nice. We have weapons, but lots of times it seems Kubiak is slow to use them.

Given KWalter's loss of explosiveness that happened last season, the mounting injuries and age of AJ, and that Jacoby Jones is a FA... the Texans better sign another quality WR with some playmaking ability.

The Pencil Neck
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
The team has to look at improving in any way it can.

Even though our offense wasn't the problem last year, that doesn't mean that we should stand pat with what we've got. We should be looking to improve EVERYTHING about this team, including the offence.

The OL could stand to improve. The WR corps (after AJ) needs to improve. Our RB corps needs to improve. Our TEs need to improve. Our QBs need to improve.

If we had been a little better on the offense, maybe we wouldn't have lost those games where our defense totally imploded.

It should be much easier to improve our defense but that doesn't mean we should neglect the offense.

That's why I would have been fine with a WR pick in the draft to come in and upgrade our #2 or at least our #3 WR spot.

Rey
06-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Given KWalter's loss of explosiveness that happened last season, the mounting injuries and age of AJ, and that Jacoby Jones is a FA... the Texans better sign another quality WR with some playmaking ability.

I disagree that they better sign someone.

I think that it'd be nice and I think it would improve the offense, but I don't think that it's an absolue must.

If they have the chance to pick up a difference maker they should do it, but I don't believe that the Texans not signing a WR in FA is something that is going to make or break us. You don't find a lot of teams with breadwinners throughout their WR corps.

In fact, some of the teams with the best QB's/offenses usually make their receivers and not the other way around.

DocBar
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
At this point, I would have to decide if JJ can develop into an average or above KR to keep him on the roster. We know he can PR, but he needs to do more to kep a roster spot. That safety we drafted is supposed to be a good returner...
I also agree that signing a #2 WR is a MUST. It would be a NICE, but not a need at this stage.
:lightbulb: why not give JJ's $$ to Vonta and call it good!!!

Nawzer
06-30-2011, 05:17 PM
This is a bit off topic, but when I first read the title of this thread I thought it said, "Pubes on his #2 WR". Kubes and pubes, I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something...

DocBar
06-30-2011, 05:19 PM
This is a bit off topic, but when I first read the title of this thread I thought it said, "Pubes on his #2 WR". Kubes and pubes, I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something...:spit: :goodpost:

nytexan
06-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure why we would need an explosive #2 receiver. Schaub wouldn't be able to get the ball deep to him any better than he gets the ball deep to Andre or anyone else for that matter. His arm doesn't spread the field, its his accuracy that gives him the numbers he racks up.

YAC, yards after the catch is what makes this offense purr and that's strictly because of Kubiak's offense and Matts accuracy. And JJ drives me nuts with his occasional drops but holy moly, show me 10 other #3 receivers that have better numbers than he has. There's only one ball and Andre and Arian are going to get it the most. With Daniels coming back and hopefully healthy its only going to get worse for the #2 receiver much less the #3.

Lucky
06-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure why we would need an explosive #2 receiver. Schaub wouldn't be able to get the ball deep to him any better than he gets the ball deep to Andre or anyone else for that matter. His arm doesn't spread the field, its his accuracy that gives him the numbers he racks up.
Exactly. Someone in the thread was complaining that Walter wasn't "explosive". Well, I don't remember Schaub overthrowing Walter much. Or anyone else, for that matter. A big WCO WR with RAC ability is perfect for this QB and this offense. Obviously, Schaub already has the best WR who fits that description. TO would have been great as a #2, but he's injured. I think the Texans can win with Walter and Jones as the #2 & 3 WRs. Not close to their biggest problem right now.

The Pencil Neck
07-01-2011, 03:27 PM

YAC, yards after the catch is what makes this offense purr and that's strictly because of Kubiak's offense and Matts accuracy. And JJ drives me nuts with his occasional drops but holy moly, show me 10 other #3 receivers that have better numbers than he has. There's only one ball and Andre and Arian are going to get it the most. With Daniels coming back and hopefully healthy its only going to get worse for the #2 receiver much less the #3.

Steve Smith's game is YAC. You throw him a short pass and he makes circus catches and then breaks tackles and takes them to the house. He's not a guy that's just a fast dude that outruns everyone.

He would be PERFECT in this offense as a #2. He would catch the balls that Jacoby and KW drop and then he'd fight for more YAC than Jacoby or KW ever thought of.

Does anyone remember when we were playing the Panthers a few years ago and they threw a short pass to him. Half the team jumped on the guy but he refused to go down and squirted out the side for an 80 yard TD (or something similar).

Having him and AJ would be beastly.

Texanmike02
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
WARNING: It's about to get nerdy up in here.

Perhaps they should perform the fusion dance?
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/Litch925/180px-FusionDance.gif

Mancard confiscation 2 weeks.

Mike

Dutchrudder
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Mancard confiscation 2 weeks.

Mike

Can I confiscate your "Mike" card for two weeks?

:D

IBleedTexans
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Can I confiscate your "Mike" card for two weeks?

:D

I second that.:splits::splits::splits::toropalm:

leebigeztx
07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
They should sign randy moss. He would automatically losen the coverage across the board. He ran the wco under green and that's when he was at his best. At some point, they stop asking him to do other stuff. Put him across from johnson, and you will see an explosion.

House of Pain
07-05-2011, 04:08 AM
They should sign randy moss. He would automatically losen the coverage across the board. He ran the wco under green and that's when he was at his best. At some point, they stop asking him to do other stuff. Put him across from johnson, and you will see an explosion.

The Texans would sign Kate Moss before they sign Randy Moss.

leebigeztx
07-06-2011, 11:59 PM
The Texans would sign Kate Moss before they sign Randy Moss.

Yep and that's why they are where they are as a franchise. They don't have enough edge players and they're soft. They could've had cromartie for a 2nd rd pick and holmes for a 5th,but those guys are sketchy characters. They go to the jets and help them get to a afc title game. To me, the texan need or should sign 3 players. Randy moss, richard marshall,and abraue franklin. Knowing the texans,they probably won't sign anyone.

House of Pain
07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Yep and that's why they are where they are as a franchise. They don't have enough edge players and they're soft. They could've had cromartie for a 2nd rd pick and holmes for a 5th,but those guys are sketchy characters. They go to the jets and help them get to a afc title game. To me, the texan need or should sign 3 players. Randy moss, richard marshall,and abraue franklin. Knowing the texans,they probably won't sign anyone.

I agree this has really held them back as a franchise because a good deal of great football players are total sketchballs. I'm just stating fact.