PDA

View Full Version : Texans participate in player-organized minicamp

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 03:43 PM
"As usual, quarterback Matt Schaub led the offense and inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans the defense."

"Ryans, who continues to undergo rehabilitation for his ruptured Achilles tendon that was surgically repaired in October, did some running and covering, but he's still unable to go all out."

"Cornerback Kareem Jackson, who has been working out in Florida, appeared to be in excellent shape while working with his teammates for the first time."

"Tight end James Casey has added 10 pounds of muscle to play fullback if the Texans lose Vonta Leach in free agency. Glover Quinn is making a smooth transition to safety and showed a lot of leadership skills during the workout."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7628738.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fspfbtxfron t+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football%29

Rey
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I wonder if demeco is under any kind of medical supervision.

I also want to know if the coaching staff told Casey he might be the fullback next year.

Wolf
06-27-2011, 06:05 PM
"Tight end James Casey has added 10 pounds of muscle to play fullback if the Texans lose Vonta Leach in free agency.

:thinking:

NBT
06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Even if Vontae reups, I think Casey's snaps will increase. He can add another dimension, like better receiving, and running, to the position, as well as being able to run the "Wildcat" if the Texans so choose.

Ole Miss Texan
06-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Good to read! Not to turn this into another Aso thread but it sure would be super awesome to read "Texans participate in player-organized minicamp. Among those participating with the defense was free agent Nnamdi Asomugha who is in town visiting Andre Johnson and looking at houses." :)

gary
06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Vonta needs to be paid period.

Texan_Bill
06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Vonte needs to be paid period.

I love Vonta as much as anyone, but DON'T overpay for a fullback! Pay him well, but do not overspend.

Texan_Bill
06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Even if Vontae reups, I think Casey's snaps will increase. He can add another dimension, like better receiving, and running, to the position, as well as being able to run the "Wildcat" if the Texans so choose.

Disagree with the bolded. Vonta is an outstanding reciever! Granted, they dont throw to him much, but he is an outstanding reciever!!

Texan_Bill
06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
PS... It's good to see our "over the pomd" friend, Sideline lurking... I see you!! :D

CloakNNNdagger
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Ryans teaches Texans new 3-4 defense in player-run workouts
Associated Press
Published: June 27, 2011 at 07:51 p.m. Updated: June 27, 2011 at 08:21 p.m. HOUSTON -- Texans middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans has assumed a pivotal dual role for his team as the NFL lockout stretches into its fourth month.

Ryans is one of the Texans' player representatives, along with right tackle Eric Winston, responsible for keeping his teammates abreast of developments in the ongoing labor dispute.

And since coaches aren't allowed to have contact with players for now, Ryans has undertaken the job of teaching new coordinator Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme to the defense -- which ranked as one of the league's worst in 2010.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
"I'm just doing my part, man," Ryans said with a smile.

Many of his teammates have come to Houston to do the same, with 35 players participating in a voluntary practice for about 80 minutes Monday morning at Rice University.

Quarterback Matt Schaub, defensive end Mario Williams and linebacker Brian Cushing were among the starters who joined Ryans at the workout, the first of three this week. Draft picks Shiloh Keo, Brooks Reed and T.J. Yates also practiced.

Schaub led the players through a series of warm-up drills before the group split up, according to their positions. They mostly scrimmaged, without pads, for most of the last half of the practice.

"For us to be out here as a team, a group of guys choosing to be here, in the long-term will serve us good," Schaub said.

Ryans is still recovering from a ruptured Achilles' tendon that sidelined him for the last 10 games of last season. He referred to a playbook during the practice and repeated calls to ensure that the players understood.

"It's important for us to get out here and get the guys some looks at our different offensive sets and try to do our adjusting," Ryans said. "I think we are getting more comfortable with the terminology that we're using. The more reps you get, the better you get it."

But as much benefit as the team workouts provide, Schaub concedes that every NFL team will need extended training camp with coaches to properly prepare for the season.

And when that happens is still anyone's guess.

Players have been told in conference calls that there will be more negotiations this week involving NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith, owners and players.

Ryans said he's "encouraged" about what he believes are constructive meetings. But he offered no timeline for when he believed a new deal might be struck, only that he believes progress is being made toward ending the lockout that began March 12.

"It's not about getting a deal done as quickly as possible," Ryans said, "it's about getting a fair deal done. Whenever that time comes, when a fair deal is on the table, that's when it will get done. We're not in a big panic to get something done, just for the sake of getting it done."

Keo, a safety picked in the fifth round, said he's trying to put the lockout out of his mind. He's more concerned with learning the defense from Ryans and impressing his new teammates.

The Top 100: Players of 2011
The countdown concludes with a two-hour special revealing the top 10 on NFL Network on Sunday, July 3 at 8 p.m. ET. Stay tuned for a reaction show right after.
"I want to be updated on it every day, but I want to keep my head out of it," Keo said. "When I come out here, I want to be focused on the drills, meeting the guys, getting to know them and performing. I'm not here to just wait for the lockout to end. I'm here to get work done early."

The Texans' defense, particularly the secondary, needs as much practice as it can get, with or without coaches. Houston ranked last in pass defense last season (268 yards per game) and produced just 13 interceptions.

Kareem Jackson, often the scapegoat for the Texans' secondary issues last season, and fellow cornerback Glover Quin were both at Monday's workout.

Quin will move to safety in Phillips' defensive alignment. He said the team practices are crucial in helping the Texans learn the system.

"You kind of have to look at a playbook and say, 'OK, I think this is what they (the coaches) kind of want us to do,' " Quin said. "But it will also help us out, because when we do go in, when they make a call, we'll kind of know exactly what we have to do. We just need to figure out the technique they want us to play in.

"But if they give us a normal call, it's not like it's a foreign language anymore," Quin said. "We've had to teach ourselves. When you teach yourself, you pick up on it, you find ways that you can understand it, and when the coaches teach it, it just makes even more sense."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

redwhiteANDblue
06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdhc7dN2EY

Heres a video of the workouts

Wolf
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I wonder if they have some non-nfl coaches there to watch or guide a bit.

but I guess when they saying Ryans is teaching the thing.. how familiar is he with it? what happens if he is making a wrong read

are they having cameras rolling for some kind of film study?

*probably some dumb statements*
dammit I need some football.

don't get me wrong, I am ECSTATIC that they are doing something.. just wondering out loud

gary
06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdhc7dN2EY

Heres a video of the workoutsGood work. I'd rep you but I out of rep points until tomorrow.

b0ng
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I love Vonta as much as anyone, but DON'T overpay for a fullback! Pay him well, but do not overspend.

I think overpaying a FB is a really small mistake in the general scheme of the NFL. What, you give him a million or two more than you should? Think about what Ahman Green got, or Todd Wade or even Andre' Davis.

The only thing I could see us not paying for vonta is if the salary cap is actually something we have to worry about (unlike the last 4 or 5 years). But even then, I don't think Leach is going to break us, it'll be some CB this year.

CloakNNNdagger
06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I wonder if they have some non-nfl coaches there to watch or guide a bit.

but I guess when they saying Ryans is teaching the thing.. how familiar is he with it? what happens if he is making a wrong read

are they having cameras rolling for some kind of film study?

*probably some dumb statements*
dammit I need some football.

Exactly what I was thinking. When the coaches "return," it could be much harder to correct newly established wrong techniques.

gary
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Leach is a proven pro bowler you pay him.

thunderkyss
06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I wonder if demeco is under any kind of medical supervision.

I wonder if he's better off without the Texans' medical supervision.

I also want to know if the coaching staff told Casey he might be the fullback next year.

Wasn't he listed as a full-back in 2010? I'm pretty sure he was #2 on the depth chart. With signing Owen, everyone pretty happy with Dressen, Graham & Hill being on the roster I'm sure it didn't take a whole lot for Casey to figure what he's got to do to remain on the roster. He needs to get bigger period to play tight-end or full-back.

thunderkyss
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Remember Jameel Cook? Wasn't much of a blocking fullback. We knew that when we signed him, but he was obviously what Kubiak wanted for his offence. Unfortunately, we couldn't run block for crap. We couldn't pass block for shit. We had a QB that ran into sacks & a RB that ran over our offensive line.

Now, I like Vonta Leech & I think we don't utilize him as much as we should, either handing him the ball or tossing it to him.

But I hope the offence does go to a direction where every position on the field is a threat.

beerlover
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
so if a player is injured while participating in said, "player organized minicamp" would he be covered for insurance purposes by or for the team along with his own financial future?

CloakNNNdagger
06-27-2011, 10:48 PM
so if a player is injured while participating in said, "player organized minicamp" would he be covered for insurance purposes by or for the team along with his own financial future?

no!........not unless they chose to take out COBRA or private personal insurance

beerlover
06-28-2011, 02:39 AM
no!........not unless they chose to take out COBRA or private personal insurance

Then maybe it's not in players best interest. I do appreciate their effort & passion, just want them protected.

The Pencil Neck
06-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Then maybe it's not in players best interest. I do appreciate their effort & passion, just want them protected.

It's a helluva risk.

Texas T
06-28-2011, 10:08 AM
I understand that the players are taking a risk by working out but I REALLY like seeing them working out. Some teams have not really come together and up here they were excited that 10 Eagles players were working together.

I'm hoping for some fire in their bellies this year when this lockout BS if finally done.

Insideop
06-28-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm kinda curious about who wasn't there. Leinart, Leach, etc..? It might be more telling as to whether they think they are coming back or not.

:thinking:

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm kinda curious about who wasn't there. Leinart, Leach, etc..? It might be more telling as to whether they think they are coming back or not.:thinking:

Would you share a new playbook with players that have a big question mark if they are going to be on the team when the lockout ends??

steelbtexan
06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Bum should make a trip down from the ranch. It's his defensive scheme. Who would be better at teaching it.

Plus it wouldn't be breaking any rules.

IDEXAN
06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Nobodys mentioned AJs name, he must be absent ? But then I guess when you are the highest paid receiver in the game and about to be knighted one of the NFLs top 10 players, maybe you would feel above such mundane exercises as team drills/3-day Minicamps ?

Ole Miss Texan
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Nobodys mentioned AJs name, he must be absent ? But then I guess when you are the highest paid receiver in the game and about to be knighted one of the NFLs top 10 players, maybe you would feel above such mundane exercises as team drills/3-day Minicamps ?

Not sure about that. I think he may be on the road trying to recruit some players to join the team. Did receiver drills with Chad Johnson/Ochocinco, Santana Moss and Antonio Brown earlier this month. Supposedly talking to Nnamdi some too. LOL, go Dre!!

alphajoker
06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Would you share a new playbook with players that have a big question mark if they are going to be on the team when the lockout ends??

What would be the difference from a player attending training camp and then getting cut?

ChampionTexan
06-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Aren't there at least 27 players who the coaches know won't be there when the season starts who are given a playbook at the start of training camp, and then intensively drilled on it and taught the information for the next several weeks? I say "at least" since there are numerous players who the coaches know won't make the team who are shuffled in and out due to injury and the need for training camp fodder?

Additionally, a guy like Leach knows the playbook as well or better than most of the other guys there anyway, so why in the world would you keep him away for that reason?

b0ng
06-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Pretty sure 'Dre works out quite a bit in Miami when he's not training with the Texans. I think the rest of the offense can trust that he's going to show up in shape and ready to go when things are ready to go again.

Have Owen Daniels, Ben Tate, or Connor Barwin been at any of these impromptu throw-togethers? I'm much more concerned about their attendance than Dre's.

beerlover
06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Pretty sure 'Dre works out quite a bit in Miami when he's not training with the Texans. I think the rest of the offense can trust that he's going to show up in shape and ready to go when things are ready to go again.

Have Owen Daniels, Ben Tate, or Connor Barwin been at any of these impromptu throw-togethers? I'm much more concerned about their attendance than Dre's.

I would be concerned about each one you mentioned because all are coming off injury's, rehab or some type of surgery.

IDEXAN
06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

AJ is certainly the best player the Texans have, the best they've ever had, but he's also the most highly compensated and as such I think he should be a leader and role model for the other players. Coming to practice when it's convenient for you and when you feel the nature of the workouts are worthy of your time is not my idea of a team leader.
Like AJ, DeMeco got a brand new contract last year but here he is, not just working out but being the team leader we all expect him to be even though he's still on a wheel which is still not 100 %.

gary
06-28-2011, 02:30 PM
AJ will be there when it matters and if he thinks working out will help his team land a few big time free agents then I say go for it.

b0ng
06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
AJ is certainly the best player the Texans have, the best they've ever had, but he's also the most highly compensated and as such I think he should be a leader and role model for the other players. Coming to practice when it's convenient for you and when you feel the nature of the workouts are worthy of your time is not my idea of a team leader.
Like AJ, DeMeco got a brand new contract last year but here he is, not just working out but being the team leader we all expect him to be even though he's still on a wheel which is still not 100 %.

Demeco is also basically the commander-in-chief on field of a brand new defensive alignment. Not even close to the same situation in almost any way you could paint it.

If there was ever a time where you could say Dre was being lazy or not paying attention to his own physical well-being for the better of the team then you might have a point. But that time has not happened yet, and I'd be very very surprised if Dre not being an these little things severely hampered his production in 2011. Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels and whoever else they think might be catching balls who are somewhat questionable need those reps way more than Dre does anyway.

badboy hit why I am much more interested in the players I listed's attendance. All of those guys had bad endings to their seasons, or are just coming back from some bad endings.

thunderkyss
06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I think overpaying a FB is a really small mistake in the general scheme of the NFL. What, you give him a million or two more than you should? Think about what Ahman Green got, or Todd Wade or even Andre' Davis.

The only thing I could see us not paying for vonta is if the salary cap is actually something we have to worry about (unlike the last 4 or 5 years). But even then, I don't think Leach is going to break us, it'll be some CB this year.

Screw the cap, sign him for 12 years.

thunderkyss
06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. When the coaches "return," it could be much harder to correct newly established wrong techniques.

Get an umbrella.... that should alleviate some of that sky from falling on you.

b0ng
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Screw the cap, sign him for 12 years.

I would unironically watch vonta demolish people for however he kept being good at doing that on this team and love every minute of it. I don't expect anybody else to hold this viewpoint but I love having a FB that can blow up an LB on almost any running play. I think outside of Dre, Leach has been one of the most consistently good and healthy players on the offense.

If Leach wanted something crazy like 5 or 6 million a year for like 5 or 6 years, yeah I'd say that's too much, but giving the guy about as much as Jacques Reeves made while he was here wouldn't bother me at all really.

thunderkyss
06-28-2011, 10:13 PM
I would unironically watch vonta demolish people for however he kept being good at doing that on this team and love every minute of it. I don't expect anybody else to hold this viewpoint but I love having a FB that can blow up an LB on almost any running play. I think outside of Dre, Leach has been one of the most consistently good and healthy players on the offense.

If Leach wanted something crazy like 5 or 6 million a year for like 5 or 6 years, yeah I'd say that's too much, but giving the guy about as much as Jacques Reeves made while he was here wouldn't bother me at all really.

Didn't we sign Jacques for like $25M for 5 years? he was here 4? I could be wrong.

But I'd sign the guy for whatever..... not Kellen Winslow in TampaBay whatever..... but he wouldn't be leaving Houston because of money. We can structure the contract any way we want to make it cap friendly.

If we're good to Vonta, he'll be good to us, give him $6 or $8 Mill bonus & pro-rate it over 6 or 8 years. He's probably got another 3 or 4 years of badassery left. By then we'll only be writing off 3 or 2 million.

b0ng
06-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Didn't we sign Jacques for like $25M for 5 years? he was here 4? I could be wrong.

But I'd sign the guy for whatever..... not Kellen Winslow in TampaBay whatever..... but he wouldn't be leaving Houston because of money. We can structure the contract any way we want to make it cap friendly.

If we're good to Vonta, he'll be good to us, give him $6 or $8 Mill bonus & pro-rate it over 6 or 8 years. He's probably got another 3 or 4 years of badassery left. By then we'll only be writing off 3 or 2 million.

I thought Reeves was here for about $4m a year for 3 or 4 years. Either way I don't think that's too far out there that it'd be a huge problem.

steelbtexan
06-28-2011, 10:42 PM
The only way I would let him go isif the $$$$ are spent on signing Aso.

If Billionaire BoBBy lets Vonta walk and pockets the $$$$ like he did when he allowed Dunta to walk.

Then maybe the sheeple will understand what Billionaire BoBBy is all about. This will not happen. Phillips will get a vet CB in FA. But for the long term it would probably be better if BoBBy pocketed the $$$$.

gary
06-28-2011, 10:49 PM

If Billionaire BoBBy lets Vonta walk and pockets the $$$$ like he did when he allowed Dunta to walk.

Then maybe the sheeple will understand what Billionaire BoBBy is all about. This will not happen. Phillips will get a vet CB in FA. But for the long term it would probably be better if BoBBy pocketed the $$$$.Bob has the money to pay both if he wanted to.

steelbtexan
06-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Bob has the money to pay both if he wanted to.

True, But it's not going to happen.

The only thing that might make it happen is the new CBA has a floor limit of 101 mil. I dont know where the Texans are cap wise right now but BoBBy may be forced to spend the $$$$.

Do you know where I can find cap info for the Texans as it stands right now?

gary
06-28-2011, 11:05 PM

The only thing that might make it happen is the new CBA has a floor limit of 101 mil. I dont know where the Texans are cap wise right now but BoBBy may be forced to spend the $$$$.

Do you know where I can find cap info for the Texans as it stands right now?These two sites will help you some from 2010.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2010.html
http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Houston-Texans-Salaries

b0ng
06-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Do you know where I can find cap info for the Texans as it stands right now?

Texans have never ever been close to the cap floor of any year. Again, I think you are confusing the Texans and the Chiefs or the Buccaneers.

drs23
06-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Bob has the money to pay both if he wanted to.

I KEEP hearing this drivel.

Sure, Bob the multi-billionaire citizen, has the resorces to buy the best player at every position on all 3 squads and make them the highest paid player at that position. Bob, the NFL team owner, has to operate within boundries, i.e; the salary cap. Hard numbers.

Do a quick search on how many times folks that have taken the time to look it up have posted about the Texans being in the top 3 highest payrolls in the league. There's got to be a limit on how much a team can throw at 1 player. Don't get me wrong. If we could sign Aso and get the rest of the help we need plus depth, I'm all for it.

Where on the roster is that kinda fat to be cut? I think there are going to be more defensive heads roll during/after TC but how much does that free up?

Dependent upon the spending floor/ceiling, what percentage should be spent to sign Aso, if he'd even come here?

Again, I'd love to see him in Steel Blue but if we can get 3-4 of the other top tier players out there vs. Aso, I just don't see it. JMO

gary
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
I KEEP hearing this drivel.

Sure, Bob the multi-billionaire citizen, has the resorces to buy the best player at every position on all 3 squads and make them the highest paid player at that position. Bob, the NFL team owner, has to operate within boundries, i.e; the salary cap. Hard numbers.

Do a quick search on how many times folks that have taken the time to look it up have posted about the Texans being in the top 3 highest payrolls in the league. There's got to be a limit on how much a team can throw at 1 player. Don't get me wrong. If we could sign Aso and get the rest of the help we need plus depth, I'm all for it.

Where on the roster is that kinda fat to be cut? I think there are going to be more defensive heads roll during/after TC but how much does that free up?

Dependent upon the spending floor/ceiling, what percentage should be spent to sign Aso, if he'd even come here?

Again, I'd love to see him in Steel Blue but if we can get 3-4 of the other top tier players out there vs. Aso, I just don't see it. JMOAllen is a serviceable number two CB so Bob should sign ASO JMO. This team needs him.

thunderkyss
06-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Then maybe the sheeple will understand what Billionaire BoBBy is all about. This will not happen. Phillips will get a vet CB in FA. But for the long term it would probably be better if BoBBy pocketed the $$$$.

As long as the sheeple are the people that realized Dunta sucked...

I don't mind being called sheeple.

steelbtexan
06-29-2011, 10:24 PM
As long as the sheeple are the people that realized Dunta sucked...

I don't mind being called sheeple.

I realized Dunta sucked.

But I realize R.Smith sucks at his job worse than Dunta does at his. Smiths decision to go young and not sign a vet CB in FA to provide leadership was just plain stupid. If he was going to let Dunta walk signing a vet FA CB was imperative. He should've been fired for that decision alone and the he tried to sign Bodden is just BS to appease the fanbase. If he cant attract quality FA's he's not going to be the GM of a SB winner.

Either that or BoBBY told him he didn't want to pay Dunta franchise SSSS. (I dont blame him.)

gary
06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
There wasn't ever a plan B after Dunte left.

dalemurphy
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
I realized Dunta sucked.

But I realize R.Smith sucks at his job worse than Dunta does at his. Smiths decision to go young and not sign a vet CB in FA to provide leadership was just plain stupid. If he was going to let Dunta walk signing a vet FA CB was imperative. He should've been fired for that decision alone and the he tried to sign Bodden is just BS to appease the fanbase. If he cant attract quality FA's he's not going to be the GM of a SB winner.

Either that or BoBBY told him he didn't want to pay Dunta franchise SSSS. (I dont blame him.)

I think the only good decision was to let Dunta walk. Now, the question is: what should they have done differently that off-season in order to offset it? The FA market was bare! Other than Bodden, who they would've had to overpay severely, there was nothing out there. That being said, they still made foolish mistakes, but I'm not sure who is responsible for all of them:

1st- David Gibbs was a disaster of a secondary coach. I'm pretty sure the blame for that decision goes squarely on Kubiak (whom I love).

2nd- Jacques Reeves was the only veteran on the team and DEFINITELY one of the top 5 CBs on the team... Yet, he was cut. Whose decision was that? Not sure. Furthermore, A.Molden (the second oldest CB on the team) made the squad instead of Reeves... Yet, no matter how poorly the CBs played, he was given no opportunity to play. So, why was he on the squad over Reeves? (Kubiak and his defensive staff are likely responsible for most of that)

3rd- Why not realize the need and dearth of available FAs and make a trade for a CB? Smith must be partly responisble, at least, for that decision.

4th- Why did the safetiy play deteriorate so much in 2010? It hurt the young CBs quite a lot. (David Gibbs, Frank Bush probably deserve most of that blame)

The good news: A remarkably deep and talented pool of free agent CBs are about to hit the market, the team is in pretty good salary cap shape, finally have competent defensive coaching now, and McNair is more willing to spend in free agency than he has been in 5 years.

thunderkyss
06-29-2011, 11:03 PM
I realized Dunta sucked.

I don't care to defend Rick Smith.... trust me, I don't like the guy myself.

But this is groupthink 101, I don't think you can blame Rick Smith for letting Dunta go, & not signing a veteran CB. He signed Karl Paymah.

It also wasn't his decision to dump Reeves.

There are a lot of real reasons Rick Smith should have been fired. This one.... I don't know if we can lay it all at RickSmith's feet.

Rey
06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't care to defend Rick Smith.... trust me, I don't like the guy myself.

But this is groupthink 101, I don't think you can blame Rick Smith for letting Dunta go, & not signing a veteran VA. He signed Karl Paymah.

It also wasn't his decision to dump Reeves.

There are a lot of real reasons Rick Smith should have been fired. This one.... I don't know if we can lay it all at RickSmith's feet.

I disagree.

Bringing back dunta, even if it were for the franchise tag would have been smart. We wouldn't have had to force a cb pick in the first round and we most likely wouldn't have sucked as bad.

The year before that the defense had started coming together. Even if you overpay a bit you keep that unit cohesive if you have not ever made the play offs in your history. And people are saying we shoulda kept reeves, well dunta was better than he was.

No he was not a shutdown corner, but it wasn't like it was open season on dunta when it came to passes being completed. It was an absolutely bad decision to let him go at that time.

Bodden was not all world, but pats still resigned him and then proceeded to draft two good young corners. You don't let your best corner go without for sure having a backup plan.

Smith didn't want to look like a fool by franchising dunta and paying him in two years what he would've paid over the length of a contract. So instead of doing something that made the team better he made it personal and let that get in the way of success. That's just what I believe.

No way he could possibly think franchising dunta would hurt more than help when at the time there was no real cb talent on the team.

And youve got to be kidding using Karl paymah as an example of smith being diligent in his job.

gary
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Three things should have happened.
1. Franchise Dunte again
2. Or at least keep a veteran like Reevs
3. Trade for a veteran corner

Rey
06-30-2011, 02:00 PM
When the lockout ends, the Texans are expected to move their best cornerback, Glover Quin, to safety because the coaches believe he has everything it takes to become a Pro Bowl player at his new position.

Most young cornerbacks are insulted if they're asked to move to safety, but not Quin. Even though corners make more money, Quin's response is that he'll do whatever his new coaches — defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and secondary coach Vance Joseph - think is best for the team.

"I don't mind it," Quin said during the players' unofficial minicamp this week. "The coaches study film. They know what the players are best at, so it doesn't bother me.

"To hear that the coaches say good things about you is good. You have to live up to it, but you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself where you're stressing out about it. You want to work hard, take it in stride and continue to do what you did to get to this point."

Quin (6-0, 205) has 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash. He's physical, and he has the range and instincts the coaches want in a safety. He's smart enough to make the calls for the secondary, and the coaches want him in position to make a lot of plays on the ball.

Rather than turning and running with receivers in man coverage, Quin will be facing the ball much of the time.

"Hopefully, it'll mean more plays on the ball and more interceptions," said Quin, who picked off three passes last season. "When you see the ball, it gives you more opportunities to make things happen.

"I don't think it'll be that different. You still have to cover and tackle in the open field. The biggest thing will be the different angles (to receivers). … But I've been working on that (during offseason workouts), and once we start practicing (with coaches), I think it'll become second nature to me."

Quin and Brice McCain, a corner who also is entering his third year, have been fanatical about working out with their teammates during the lockout. Quin's teammates say he's taken charge of the secondary, showing the kind of leadership the coaches want from him.

"I try to be me," he said. "We go through drills, and I don't want to sound like a dictator. I ask the other guys what they want to do, what they want to work on.

"Once (the lockout) ends, I imagine the coaches are going to want us to run (the same drills), and I try to talk to my teammates a little because communication is so important."

Quin likes being in the mix, as he was in nickel situations when he covered slot receivers, rather than isolated outside against a wideout.

"The fact that I played nickel (slot) my first two years, I was in the thick of things," he said. "I played the run. I dropped into coverage. When you're playing (outside) all the time, you're stuck on one side of the field. I think I had the most fun when I was playing (in the slot).

"Safety will be more of the same thing. I'll be in the mix. I'll force the run and zone-drop and cover man-to-man. I think it's going to be fun."

Quin said he thinks working out with his teammates during the lockout has been good for them, but there's only so much they can do without their coaches. They'll still have a lot to learn because they're switching to a 3-4.

"You want to get back to work with your friends and see your other teammates working, too," he said. "If you're not with a group, then you're by yourself, and you feel a little lonely at times. But when you're with your guys and you're struggling and hurting right along with them, it picks you up and causes you to work even harder. This is a good thing.

"I think (the lockout) can hurt a little because the coaches aren't teaching (the new scheme). We can look in the playbook and know what they want us to do, but the coaches will have the techniques they want us to play.

"On the other hand, when we do go in, we kind of know what they want us to do when they make a call. It won't be like a foreign language, because we've gone over it so much."

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7633283.html#ixzz1QmdSFFVB

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/safety-first-to-be-texans-glover-quins-new-motto-518427.html

thunderkyss
06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
And youve got to be kidding using Karl paymah as an example of smith being diligent in his job.

You make some good points, But I disagree. Dunta had been getting beat & throwing his hands in the air looking at the safeties for years. We would have done no better in 2010 with Dunta, I believe that in my heart of hearts.

& Yes, My opinion of Dunta is so low, I believe wanting to keep him (especially for the money) falls into the, "sign a vet, any vet" mentality that thinks having Reeves on the bench would have helped us.

I guarantee you Dunta won't be starting for the Falcons at the end of next season. If it weren't for the lockout, I would guarantee he would start the season as a starter.