PDA

View Full Version : Eric Winston debating Skip Bayless

MistaRed
06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
on ESPN's First Take right now....doing pretty good actually

houstonspartan
06-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Let me guess: Bayless thinks that Vince Young is the greatest quarterback in the history of sports, and that the Texans will collapse and cease to exist because we didn't sign him?

HoustonFrog
06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm going to get slammed for this and that is ok but Winston can get on my nerves...not as bad as Bayless of course. I think the guy spends alot of time on the radio and TV trying to be the smartest guy in the room and talking a big game when I'm not really sold on his game at all. It is fine because he will have a career in this at some point but I hear him on different radio shows, on TV, quoted in MMQB like he is this inside source and I just want the guy to pipe down and play better.

m5kwatts
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Is there a bigger waste of life on this planet than Skip Bayless? He's like a breathing hemroid.

houstonspartan
06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm going to get slammed for this and that is ok but Winston can get on my nerves...not as bad as Bayless of course. I think the guy spends alot of time on the radio and TV trying to be the smartest guy in the room and talking a big game when I'm not really sold on his game at all. It is fine because he will have a career in this at some point but I hear him on different radio shows, on TV, quoted in MMQB like he is this inside source and I just want the guy to pipe down and play better.

I'm not going to slam you. Halfway through last season, I was listening to Eric on the radio a couple days after a stupid loss. I was still seeting and angry, and he was jovial and laughing with the guys on the radio. I was furious.

Winston knows his stuff, but when he got that big contract extension he checked out. I wish he'd shut the hell up about how smart he is about the game and focus on HIS game.

MistaRed
06-27-2011, 10:39 AM
SMMFH @ skip lobbying for the Texans to sign Vince young to replace Schaub

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM

I agree 100% with you!! He talks a good game but he can't take any of the heat when he does wrong.

2 seasons ago when he let a guy beat him on a play and Matt got hurt. I asked him via twitter how he felt knowing that because of his piss poor blocking and that he whiffed on that play that matt got hurt and he proceeded to block me on twitter since then. I can't stand listening to him. I just wished he did his job and played football.

beerlover
06-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Winston is one of the coolest Texans ever & last I heard there is still a lock-out so no I don't have a problem with him expressing his opinions with Skip.

HoustonFrog
06-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Winston is one of the coolest Texans ever & last I heard there is still a lock-out so no I don't have a problem with him expressing his opinions with Skip.

During the lockout...sure. But last season I heard him on every station out there making excuses and talking a big game and then he'd get his ass beat. Athletes get interviewed. He seems like a media darling that wants to do everything while not backing anything up. I just think the guy needs to work on his game some more and then maybe he can work on the media circuit. I'm tired of hearing up "how close", "we work so hard", etc when you are spending all your time at remotes.

nero THE zero
06-27-2011, 11:56 AM
During the lockout...sure. But last season I heard him on every station out there making excuses and talking a big game and then he'd get his ass beat. Athletes get interviewed. He seems like a media darling that wants to do everything while not backing anything up. I just think the guy needs to work on his game some more and then maybe he can work on the media circuit. I'm tired of hearing up "how close", "we work so hard", etc when you are spending all your time at remotes.

Considering his activity on the radio, internet, social media, etc. he is quite obviously positioning himself for life after football.

I don't know if I buy the "he needs to shut up and work more on his game" sentiment -- just because he's more visible doesn't mean he's not working on his game enough / as much as anyone else -- but I do agree that he overexposes himself.

Carr Bombed
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't know what some of y'all are talking about with regards to "Eric needing to shut up and focus on his game" or "checking out" after he signed a contract extension. The guy was one of the better RTs in the league last season. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-tackles/

And who the hell cares if he's laughing or joking on his radio show after a loss? Believe it or not, there IS life outside of football and these guys do have lives. Sometimes football fans need to get a grip, these guys don't have to take their work home with them and they shouldn't be required to be visibly upset or depressed all week just to make us feel better, because WE have a unnatural obsession with football. :rolleyes:

Oh well, shake the haters off Mr. Winston. You're doing a fantastic job, on and off the field. :)

Carr Bombed
06-27-2011, 12:11 PM
double post

Carr Bombed
06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
2 seasons ago when he let a guy beat him on a play and Matt got hurt. I asked him via twitter how he felt knowing that because of his piss poor blocking and that he whiffed on that play that matt got hurt and he proceeded to block me on twitter since then. I can't stand listening to him. I just wished he did his job and played football.

:kubepalm: Good for him, I would've done the same exact thing. That was a stupid question that had a 0% chance of producing anything remotely productive or positive.

Rey
06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Winston is a good run blocker but his pass protection needs work.

Rey
06-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Agreed.

I think he can be a lot better than he is. I don't have a problem with his media stuff, but he kind of puts out an image that he and the team are better than what they seem.

That's probably what he should be doing but as a fan I have a right to call bullshit.

IDEXAN
06-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Winston is intelligent and articulate, uncommon traits for an NFL player and that's obviously why he gets so many opportunities to make appearances in the media. And while not among the best at his position, he's still a competant NFL starting offensive lineman and I'm thankful that he's got some brains so he can express to we fans his opinions and relate his experiences about playing in the league.

gary
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
During the lockout...sure. But last season I heard him on every station out there making excuses and talking a big game and then he'd get his ass beat. Athletes get interviewed. He seems like a media darling that wants to do everything while not backing anything up. I just think the guy needs to work on his game some more and then maybe he can work on the media circuit. I'm tired of hearing up "how close", "we work so hard", etc when you are spending all your time at remotes.He is not going to the media I sucked today or my team just got their asses handed to them some do but many don't.

bigbrewster2000
06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not going to slam you. Halfway through last season, I was listening to Eric on the radio a couple days after a stupid loss. I was still seeting and angry, and he was jovial and laughing with the guys on the radio. I was furious.

Winston knows his stuff, but when he got that big contract extension he checked out. I wish he'd shut the hell up about how smart he is about the game and focus on HIS game.

Why do you get angry at players several days after a loss when they laugh or try to have a good time? I have never understood this. It would be a lot different if they were getting thumped in a game or they are acting like fools on the sideline. Why would you expect a guy to stay angry all week? I expect them to get the hell over it and start preparing for the next opponent and not linger over a loss and let it carry into the next week.

gary
06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Winston is about to come out with his own internet show and I hope he blabs his mouth off even more which he has every right to do. They are just words. OMG.

rush2112mn
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Eric Winston has a opinion on a lot of things and he is willing to talk to the media about them. I don't have a problem with him talking...he has the right to do that just like everyone else...

Yankee_In_TX
06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't know if I buy the "he needs to shut up and work more on his game" sentiment -- just because he's more visible doesn't mean he's not working on his game enough / as much as anyone else -- but I do agree that he overexposes himself.

I think what they're saying is they don't want to hear him on the radio - or ANYONE Texan - after we get whooped or embarassed unless they open with 'yeah, I screwed up. We sucked. Coach likes to say we're on the right track, but this season is blown.'

I get that sentiment, but no active player or coach is going to say bad things about his team.

FWIW I like Winston, you just have to ignore him being a 'homer' (because he is on the team).

houstonspartan
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Why do you get angry at players several days after a loss when they laugh or try to have a good time? I have never understood this. It would be a lot different if they were getting thumped in a game or they are acting like fools on the sideline. Why would you expect a guy to stay angry all week? I expect them to get the hell over it and start preparing for the next opponent and not linger over a loss and let it carry into the next week.

I get angry because there is NO FREAKING FIRE with ANY of these players. And I don't want to hear Eric yapping it up on the radio two days after a loss. I just don't. I'm tired of hearing "we have to be consistent" and "we have to finish" and we have to "take the next step" and we have to "play to win" and we have to "close out games."

I'm tired, tired, tired, TIRED of it. THAT is why I get angry.

And yes, they should "take their work home with them." They are professionals. Hell, my boss takes his work home with him, and he's merely a high level manager at an organization. He understand that as a high level mananger, you don't always get to leave work at work. That's just how it is.

gary
06-27-2011, 01:52 PM
]I get angry because there is NO FREAKING FIRE with ANY of these players. And I don't want to hear Eric yapping it up on the radio two days after a loss. I just don't. I'm tired of hearing "we have to be consistent" and "we have to finish" and we have to "take the next step" and we have to "play to win" and we have to "close out games."

[/B]
And yes, they should "take their work home with them." They are professionals. Hell, my boss takes his work home with him, and he's merely a high level manager at an organization. He understand that as a high level mananger, you don't always get to leave work at work. That's just how it is.This all starts with the front office and the coaching staff.

Double Barrel
06-27-2011, 02:12 PM
When I hear something on the radio or see something on tv that I don't like, I change the channels or turn it off. :nolisten:

As far as Winston is concerned, he's an entertainer on the field and off. I've got no problem with him, and I like players that make themselves available to the public.

Brisco_County
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
All starters should talk a big game. If they don't believe that they are the best at their position on the team, then they shouldn't be the starter.

HoustonFrog
06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't know what some of y'all are talking about with regards to "Eric needing to shut up and focus on his game" or "checking out" after he signed a contract extension. The guy was one of the better RTs in the league last season. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-tackles/

And who the hell cares if he's laughing or joking on his radio show after a loss? Believe it or not, there IS life outside of football and these guys do have lives. Sometimes football fans need to get a grip, these guys don't have to take their work home with them and they shouldn't be required to be visibly upset or depressed all week just to make us feel better, because WE have a unnatural obsession with football. :rolleyes:

Oh well, shake the haters off Mr. Winston. You're doing a fantastic job, on and off the field. :)

I really dislike the term "hater." I don't hate Eric Winston. As far as I can see the guy is really nice and seems like a genuine guy towards fans. I just am over him and his 50 appearances though. 610, 1560, Peter King, Jim Rome, etc, etc. I just don't like hearing his comments after awhile. There are only so many times you can blow steam about how hard the team is allegedly working or how it isn't Kuniak's fault why they lost or how their schemes are perfect but they have execution problems. Fine, then go fix them and stop acting like you are right on the verge. You aren't. Someone mentioned overexposure above and that is it. I hear him and tune him off because it is the same tired B.S. It's like Kubiak and Bob implanted their interview chip into him and sent him on his mission. That is it. No hating but the guy is everywhere and the excuse machine is running. Just play better. I'd rather he be low-key, fan friendly and play much better than be everywhere trying to tell me how good they should be playing when they aren't.

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM
This all starts with the front office and the coaching staff.

As knowing someone who works inside the Texans locker room, I can tell everyone that Kubes does get on his players. He is a screaming in your face kind of coach. He just doesn't believe in putting it in the media to make us all feel better.

Players Like Eric need to find their own fire for the game and not be there just to collect a pay check or to start setting up life after football.

Norg
06-27-2011, 03:07 PM
WInston sucks he like a Tackle on roller skates LOL

how do u get beat by Jason Babin LOL

gary
06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
As knowing someone who works inside the Texans locker room, I can tell everyone that Kubes does get on his players. He is a screaming in your face kind of coach. He just doesn't believe in putting it in the media to make us all feel better.

Players Like Eric need to find their own fire for the game and not be there just to collect a pay check or to start setting up life after football.As long as the team is not winning then the same could be said about everyone on the team including Bob McNair.

houstonspartan
06-27-2011, 03:16 PM
I really dislike the term "hater." I don't hate Eric Winston. As far as I can see the guy is really nice and seems like a genuine guy towards fans. I just am over him and his 50 appearances though. 610, 1560, Peter King, Jim Rome, etc, etc. I just don't like hearing his comments after awhile. There are only so many times you can blow steam about how hard the team is allegedly working or how it isn't Kuniak's fault why they lost or how their schemes are perfect but they have execution problems. Fine, then go fix them and stop acting like you are right on the verge. You aren't. Someone mentioned overexposure above and that is it. I hear him and tune him off because it is the same tired B.S. It's like Kubiak and Bob implanted their interview chip into him and sent him on his mission. That is it. No hating but the guy is everywhere and the excuse machine is running. Just play better. I'd rather he be low-key, fan friendly and play much better than be everywhere trying to tell me how good they should be playing when they aren't.

Co-sign.

I actually like Eric Winston. I'm just tired of hearing his voice. PLAY!

gary
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I really dislike the term "hater." I don't hate Eric Winston. As far as I can see the guy is really nice and seems like a genuine guy towards fans. I just am over him and his 50 appearances though. 610, 1560, Peter King, Jim Rome, etc, etc. I just don't like hearing his comments after awhile. There are only so many times you can blow steam about how hard the team is allegedly working or how it isn't Kuniak's fault why they lost or how their schemes are perfect but they have execution problems. Fine, then go fix them and stop acting like you are right on the verge. You aren't. Someone mentioned overexposure above and that is it. I hear him and tune him off because it is the same tired B.S. It's like Kubiak and Bob implanted their interview chip into him and sent him on his mission. That is it. No hating but the guy is everywhere and the excuse machine is running. Just play better. I'd rather he be low-key, fan friendly and play much better than be everywhere trying to tell me how good they should be playing when they aren't.Is he calling these people or are they questioning him?

HoustonFrog
06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Is he calling these people or are they questioning him?

As far as I know it is a give and take. Alot of local and national media sources know he is accessible so they get him on their shows or quote him non-stop in their articles as the Texans mouth-piece.

GP
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
So....

Would anybody be able to discuss on here what he and Bayless were talking about on the show, or are we just going to debate trivial stuff about personal preference as it relates to how a guy handles his personal time?

This thread is a result of the lockout. That Ray Lewis guy was right on the money. No NFL = Bad Mojo.

HoustonFrog
06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
So....

Would anybody be able to discuss on here what he and Bayless were talking about on the show, or are we just going to debate trivial stuff about personal preference as it relates to how a guy handles his personal time?

This thread is a result of the lockout. That Ray Lewis guy was right on the money. No NFL = Bad Mojo.

Actually I said the same thing about Winston during last season. So I'm an equal opportunity annoyee. :)

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 03:28 PM
As long as the team is not winning then the same could be said about everyone on the team including Bob McNair.

At the end of the day, the players control what happens on the field. If a RT doesn't block and the QB gets sacked, there is only so much Bob can do about that.

gary
06-27-2011, 03:33 PM
At the end of the day, the players control what happens on the field. If a RT doesn't block and the QB gets sacked, there is only so much Bob can do about that.Sorry at the end of the day Bob is the boss.

GP
06-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Actually I said the same thing about Winston during last season. So I'm an equal opportunity annoyee. :)

I was just thinking we might have a chance to discuss the topics Bayless-Winston handled during the TV spot.

I'm fine with you guys discussing Winston, don't get me wrong, I guess I am so starved for real NFL news that I anticipated hearing (in this thread) what the two guys debated/discussed.

BTW, I would listen to Winston talk about bowel movements than to listen to Skip Bayless on any topic at all. Skip Bayless and Sean Salisbury are easily the two biggest doofs on TV, and Trey Wingo is 3rd runner up. Bermuda Triangle of dooshiness.

gary
06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
As far as I know it is a give and take. Alot of local and national media sources know he is accessible so they get him on their shows or quote him non-stop in their articles as the Texans mouth-piece.If he is asked to go on the record, is that his fault?

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Sorry at the end of the day Bob is the boss.

Your right, he is the boss. Bob is the man who make most of the players on his team instant millionaires by signing their checks and all he asks for in return is that they do their job on the field. Funny how it all points back to the players on the field and them needing to have that fire to compete and win.

gary
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Your right, he is the boss. Bob is the man who make most of the players on his team instant millionaires by signing their checks and all he asks for in return is that they do their job on the field. Funny how it all points back to the players on the field and them needing to have that fire to compete and win.Who is giving them their job orders?:kubepalm:

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Who is giving them their job orders?:kubepalm:

He doesn't tell them to whiff on blocks and let the QB get sacked. Maybe is Eric got better on the field there would be less :kubepalm: when watching his QB talking grass out of teeth.

gary
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
He doesn't tell them to whiff on blocks and let the QB get sacked.Maybe the players are starting to just tune stuff out. How much longer are we going to defend the overall operations of this team? Not just one aspect of the team but I mean the whole shubang.

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe the players are starting to just tune stuff out. How much longer are we going to defend the overall operations of this team? Not just one aspect of the team but I mean the whole shubang.

I think your wrong about that. If the players were tuning Kubes out he would have been gone this year. All it would have taken is Andre, Matt and DeMeco to walk into Bob's office and its time for a change and he would have been gone. But what you do have is the Texans now having their second players OTA's and according to McClain being the only team in the NFL to have so many organized practices this offseason. I believe that has to do with Kubes and how some of the leaders on this team believe in him.

gary
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I think your wrong about that. If the players were tuning Kubes out he would have been gone this year. All it would have taken is Andre, Matt and DeMeco to walk into Bob's office and its time for a change and he would have been gone. But what you do have is the Texans now having their second players OTA's and according to McClain being the only team in the NFL to have so many organized practices this offseason. I believe that has to do with Kubes and how some of the leaders on this team believe in him.You are just going by what you see and hear but the truth is not always in public view.

texanfan2002114
06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
You are just going by what you see and hear but the truth is not always in public view.

Like I said earlier, I know someone who works inside the Texans locker room and has since day one, so your 100% right the that truth isn't always in the public view. Maybe I know more than the average Joe.

gary
06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Like I said earlier, I know someone who works inside the Texans locker room and has since day one, so your 100% right the that truth isn't always in the public view. Maybe I know more than the average Joe.All I know is if 2011 isn't the year then heads ought to be rolling on Kirby.

dalemurphy
06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Maybe the players are starting to just tune stuff out. How much longer are we going to defend the overall operations of this team? Not just one aspect of the team but I mean the whole shubang.

I don't think anyone is defending them. Most will agree that Smith and Kubiak deserved to be fired after last season. They weren't... there are reasons for that, some may like them and others may not. Where I disagree with some is that the retention of Smith and Kubiak mean certain doom to the 2011 season. They've made mistakes and 2010 was utterly disappointing. I don't happen to think the team is in bad shape nor do I believe that Kubiak's coaching staff with the addition of Wade Phillips is doomed for failure or mediocrity this season.

Who thinks Rick Smith's draft was poor this off-season?

Who thinks the '09 draft was bad?

Let's see what they do in free agency. I believe they will be active and aggressive. If they add something at WR and DB, I will be optimistic for a good season.

CloakNNNdagger
06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
“Never miss a chance to shut up” ----Will Rogers

NBT
06-27-2011, 05:23 PM

You are dead on in reference to the defense because Koobs doesn't know squat about defense.........But IF you are talking about "overall", which you were, you are way off. A 4000+ yd QB is bad? A league leading 1600+ yd rusher is bad? The leagues best WR with 1200+ yd receiving is bad? I mean where are you coming from when it comes to offense?

dalemurphy
06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
You are dead on in reference to the defense because Koobs doesn't know squat about defense.........But IF you are talking about "overall", which you were, you are way off. A 4000+ yd QB is bad? A league leading 1600+ yd rusher is bad? The leagues best WR with 1200+ yd receiving is bad? I mean where are you coming from when it comes to offense?

Isn't it peculiar that a coach so knowledgeable about how to attack defenses can be so poor assessing his own?

gary
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
You are dead on in reference to the defense because Koobs doesn't know squat about defense.........But IF you are talking about "overall", which you were, you are way off. A 4000+ yd QB is bad? A league leading 1600+ yd rusher is bad? The leagues best WR with 1200+ yd receiving is bad? I mean where are you coming from when it comes to offense?When the offense shows up for both half more often than not then call me.

b0ng
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
So....

It's skip bayless so just assume that he was was saying things that are extravagantly wrong and having Winston be the voice of reason. The subject matter is almost immaterial as bayless will surely voice an opinion that you would think is coming from somebody who does not follow sports at all. The person debating bayless can usually just be a faceless voice of reason while bayless yells over him.

At least that's how I imagine it.

Carr Bombed
06-28-2011, 10:08 AM
He doesn't tell them to whiff on blocks and let the QB get sacked. Maybe is Eric got better on the field there would be less :kubepalm: when watching his QB talking grass out of teeth.

According to the link I posted, Eric Winston was the 3rd most efficient pass blocking RT in the NFL last season.

The guy is not as bad as y'all make him out to be. Everybody gets beat in this league, but when Winston gets beat it's because he has a radio show or pops up on T.V. every now and then right. :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board. Just because Eric Winston does radio/TV shows and doesn't act like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum when he does appear after a loss doesn't mean he has "no fire" and doesn't work on his craft. He has every right to do what he's doing and it has zero effect on his ability or results on the field. People need to get a grip, the guy is free to do whatever he pleases with his free time.

Oh noes.. Eric Winston is back on T.V. again Today. Matt Schaub is DOOOOOMED!

dalemurphy
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
According to the link I posted, Eric Winston was the 3rd most efficient pass blocking RT in the NFL last season.

The guy is not as bad as y'all make him out to be. Everybody gets beat in this league, but when Winston gets beat it's because he has a radio show or pops up on T.V. every now and then right. :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board. Just because Eric Winston does radio/TV shows and doesn't act like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum when he does appear after a loss doesn't mean he has "no fire" and doesn't work on his craft. He has every right to do what he's doing and it has zero effect on his ability or results on the field. People need to get a grip, the guy is free to do whatever he pleases with his free time.

Great Post. Thanks.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Just like we have the right to critisize him for being overexposed and making excuses. You sound defensive and like a Winston fanboy CB. If you go back and read my 1st response to you, it has nothing to do with being a hater or that he even does radio here and there. It is the fact that he is EVERYWHERE and to me all of his interviews end up being a Texans excuse fest and him talking about how close they are....tired of hearing THAT content. I think it comes across as "smartest guy in the room with all the answers" guy and then I see him whiff in big games. JMO. He can be great in a few games and then get his ass beat. No need to get so defensive. Basically if you are on Rome, being interviewed by King, tweeting about everything, on 1560 and then 610, you aren't watching film. The Texans have sucked so alot of this might have to do with a guy on a suck team trying to tell us what needs to be done when he is part of not getting it done when it counts.

infantrycak
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Just like we have the right to critisize him for being overexposed and making excuses. You sound defensive and like a Winston fanboy CB. If you go back and read my 1st response to you, it has nothing to do with being a hater or that he even does radio here and there. It is the fact that he is EVERYWHERE and to me all of his interviews end up being a Texans excuse fest and him talking about how close they are....tired of hearing THAT content, I think it comes across as "smartest guy in the room with all the answers" guy and then I see him whiff in big games. JMO. He can be great in a few games and then get his ass beat. No need to get so defensive. Basically if you are on Rome, being interviewed by King, tweeting about everything, on 1560 and then 610, you aren't watching film. The Texans have sucked so alot of this might have to do with a guy on a suck team trying to tell us what needs to be done when he is part of not getting it done when it counts.

Or you could just be throwing everything into the most negative light possible. He does maybe 2-4 hours a week of media appearances. I'm willing to bet at some point you have worked an 80-100 hour week. There is time in there to still watch film.

The results haven't been what we want. Doesn't mean everyone on the team or who represents the team by going out into the media is a slacker, has no fire, is a bad guy, whatever.

Other than guys soon to leave their team via trade or waiver you don't find anything other than "we can get there" "we are on the cusp" etc. Yeah, yeah, it gets tired but what is more tired is listening to fans not accept what is and will be reality. 99% of players support their team and are optimistic in the media.

Carr Bombed
06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Just like we have the right to critisize him for being overexposed and making excuses. You sound defensive and like a Winston fanboy CB. If you go back and read my 1st response to you, it has nothing to do with being a hater or that he even does radio here and there. It is the fact that he is EVERYWHERE and to me all of his interviews end up being a Texans excuse fest and him talking about how close they are....tired of hearing THAT content, I think it comes across as "smartest guy in the room with all the answers" guy and then I see him whiff in big games. JMO. He can be great in a few games and then get his ass beat. No need to get so defensive. Basically if you are on Rome, being interviewed by King, tweeting about everything, on 1560 and then 610, you aren't watching film. The Texans have sucked so alot of this might have to do with a guy on a suck team trying to tell us what needs to be done when he is part of not getting it done when it counts.

LMAO. I'm not a "Winston fanboy". I'm just not a overly obsessed football fan who actually thinks that because a guy pops up on a show every now and then, it somehow effects his ability to play football. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. If this was any other player I'd be saying the same thing. And now Winston isn't watching film :rolleyes: That is exactly what I'm talking about. Yeah, because you're sitting in his living room at night right? Now because Winston does radio and TV appearances, he's a crappy football player and doesn't watch film. You have absolutely no clue what any of these players do at home... just like I don't and just like we all don't. So why speculate and make stuff up?

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Or you could just be throwing everything into the most negative light possible. He does maybe 2-4 hours a week of media appearances. I'm willing to bet at some point you have worked an 80-100 hour week. There is time in there to still watch film.

The results haven't been what we want. Doesn't mean everyone on the team or who represents the team by going out into the media is a slacker, has no fire, is a bad guy, whatever.

Other than guys soon to leave their team via trade or waiver you don't find anything other than "we can get there" "we are on the cusp" etc. Yeah, yeah, it gets tired but what is more tired is listening to fans not accept what is and will be reality.

Or I could be just tired of the same excuses while some of you try to light sunshine up everyones tails telling us we are hating. Sorry if I get tired of hearing the guys content....EVERYDAY. You aren't the moderator of reality here so my opinion could be right...could not..but so far my allegedly "negative" ones have been spot on.

LMAO. I'm not a "Winston fanboy". I'm just not a overly obsessed football fan who actually thinks that because a guy pops up on a show every now and then, it somehow effects his ability to play football. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. If this was any other player I'd be saying the same thing. And now Winston isn't watching film :rolleyes: That is exactly what I'm talking about. Yeah, because you're sitting in his living room at night right? Now because Winston does radio and TV appearances, he's a crappy football player and doesn't watch film. You have absolutely no clue what any of these players do in their free time... just like I don't and just like why all don't. So why speculate and make stuff up?

This reminds me of when I first joined here and got 5-6 neg reps for stating I heard Carr didn't watch film..lol. Your posts are completely fanboy and condescending in nature because you think its laughable that someone doesn't want to hear Winston everyday and that he could be doing more with his time. I think it is ridiculous that I can't state that I'm tired of hearing the same excuses and guys act like they know what needs to be done yet they can't correct it. If you read any of my posts 90% of my issue is his CONTENT. I don't find Winston to be this bastion of NFL knowledge and Texans cure alls. It doesn't mean the guy is a bad guy.

Carr Bombed
06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Or I could be just tired of the same excuses while some of you try to light sunshine up everyones tails telling us we are hating. Sorry if I get tired of hearing the guys content....EVERYDAY

Will you please point out where I ever defended Winston's "excuse making". I would like to know, because I missed that part. That way I can see where I'm lighting sunshine up someone's ass. :rolleyes: Saying you don't like his comments is completely different than saying appearing on a radio show/TV show effects his ability to play football. (my head hurts just typing that)

I swear, if I make a negative comment I'm a negative nancy and a doom and gloomer and if I make any post sticking up for a player, I'm a sunshine up the ass lighter. :foottap: I can't win for losing

Carr Bombed
06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
This reminds me of when I first joined here and got 5-6 neg reps for stating I heard Carr didn't watch film..lol. Your posts are completely fanboy and condescending in nature because you think its laughable that someone doesn't want to hear Winston everyday and that he could be doing more with his time. I think it is ridiculous that I can't state that I'm tired of hearing the same excuses and guys act like they know what needs to be done yet they can't correct it. If you read any of my posts 90% of my issue is his CONTENT. I don't find Winston to be this bastion of NFL knowledge and Texans cure alls. It doesn't mean the guy is a bad guy.

Oh lord, why do you keep rambling on about Eric's excuse making. I NEVER commented about that nor do I care. My issue has NOTHING to do with excuse making.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Will you please point out where I ever defended Winston's "excuse making". I would like to know, because I missed that part. That way I can see where I'm lighting sunshine up someone's ass. :rolleyes: Saying you don't like his comments is completely different than saying appearing on a radio show/TV show effects his ability to play football

I swear, if I make a negative comment I'm a negative nancy and a doom and gloomer and if I make any post sticking up for a player, I'm a sunshine up the ass lighter. :foottap: I can't win for losing

LOL..that is how I'm feeling here. I'm not calling you anything as a fan. On THIS subject though you are scoffing at the idea that someone might not like Winston being out there so much. I didn't say you liked excuses. That was ay Cak for saying I was looking for the negative. I think alot of people's points were he just does ALOT of media and much of it can be annoying content wise because of the Texans play. The guy is a good guy. He is a better offensive lineman for them. But I think he spends more than a few hours on it....I know it is the lockout but here is the guys Twitter. IMHO, get better.

http://twitter.com/#!/ericwinston

ericwinston Eric Winston
45 min until ESPN First Take on ESPN News. Tune in, then switch over to ESPN2 for the 2nd hour.

@THEBUSTV Co-Founder & Texans OT @ericwinston is back again TODAY on 1st and 10 @ESPN_FirstTake at 10am EST on ESPNews & 11am EST on ESPN2

ericwinston Eric Winston
Great people and interesting discussion. Doing it again tomorrow but until then, back to hanging with the fam http://lockerz.com/s/114725674

ericwinston Eric Winston
Just got done with a production meeting. The Espn campus is just that. A campus! Looks like a small college.

THEBUSTV THEBUS ENTERTAINMENT by ericwinston
Check out the promo video for our new TV show "NOT YOUR ORDINARY SPORTS SHOW" with @ericwinston, coming this fall http://t.co/6zmjFZB

On main subjects here on TT over 5 years my main people I ragged on have been Carr, Kubiak, McNair and add Winston. I have strongly supported Schaub and others. It isn't like I'm just trying to find things to complain about.

drs23
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Will you please point out where I ever defended Winston's "excuse making". I would like to know, because I missed that part. That way I can see where I'm lighting sunshine up someone's ass. :rolleyes: Saying you don't like his comments is completely different than saying appearing on a radio show/TV show effects his ability to play football. (my head hurts just typing that)

LOL. Yep sometimes a tuff crowd here.

MSR

Texan_Bill
06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
WInston sucks he like a Tackle on roller skates LOL

how do u get beat by Jason Babin LOL

You mean the Jason Babin that had 12 1/2 sacks and made the Pro-Bowl?

Carr Bombed
06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
I think this lockout is starting to get ugly. We need some real football news.

HOU-TEX
06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I think this lockout is starting to get ugly. We need some real football news.

QFT! Best post in this thread

steelbtexan
06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Winston the person I like

Winston the RT = meh

For th $$$$ he's paid the Texans could've gotten a better RT.

gary
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
No one here knows how much time Winston spends doing anything nor is he the sole keeping this team from the playoffs.

Allstar
06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
The hate on here is comical. I have no problem with Winston talking and being heard. In fact I'd like it if more players were as interactive as Winston.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 12:25 PM
The hate on here is comical. I have no problem with Winston talking and being heard. In fact I'd like it if more players were as interactive as Winston.

Again, there is no hate....it is opinion. I'd rather have 21 other Andre Johnsons who keep quiet, work their tail off and succeed. I don't need to hear from a player every day. Again JMO.

No one here knows how much time Winston spends doing anything nor is he the sole keeping this team from the playoffs.

You are right. But the subject isn't off-limits and is allowed to be broached when the team has never done anything.

b0ng
06-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Again, there is no hate....it is opinion. I'd rather have 21 other Andre Johnsons who keep quiet, work their tail off and succeed. I don't need to hear from a player every day. Again JMO.

No NFL team would have that ever no matter how hard they tried.

You are right. But the subject isn't off-limits and is allowed to be broached when the team has never done anything.

No but you're more than opening yourself up to other people calling you out for not liking a players game due to completely made up reasons in your own head.

Allstar
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Just like we have the right to critisize him for being overexposed and making excuses. You sound defensive and like a Winston fanboy CB. If you go back and read my 1st response to you, it has nothing to do with being a hater or that he even does radio here and there. It is the fact that he is EVERYWHERE and to me all of his interviews end up being a Texans excuse fest and him talking about how close they are....tired of hearing THAT content. I think it comes across as "smartest guy in the room with all the answers" guy and then I see him whiff in big games. JMO. He can be great in a few games and then get his ass beat. No need to get so defensive. Basically if you are on Rome, being interviewed by King, tweeting about everything, on 1560 and then 610, you aren't watching film. The Texans have sucked so alot of this might have to do with a guy on a suck team trying to tell us what needs to be done when he is part of not getting it done when it counts.

You sure are assuming a lot. You're the only one getting defensive here, and you just sound like a bitter fan.

bigbrewster2000
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I get angry because there is NO FREAKING FIRE with ANY of these players. And I don't want to hear Eric yapping it up on the radio two days after a loss. I just don't. I'm tired of hearing "we have to be consistent" and "we have to finish" and we have to "take the next step" and we have to "play to win" and we have to "close out games."

And yes, they should "take their work home with them." They are professionals. Hell, my boss takes his work home with him, and he's merely a high level manager at an organization. He understand that as a high level mananger, you don't always get to leave work at work. That's just how it is.
So your expectation is that when we lose a game that players just not show up to radio interviews or if they do to act like an ass and scream and yell about it? All you are really saying is you are tired of losing like everyone else here.

The players are tired of it too. If they weren't they would not be holding private practices over at Rice.
When did I ever talk about "taking their work home?". Regardless of whether these guys are professionals or not means nothing. I want them to be intense on the field and be dedicated to the team all the time. But I am never going to get pissed because a player on the sports team that I root for decided to have a little laugh with a couple of guys on a radio broadcast after a loss. Having a chuckle after a loss does not equate to "no fire" or "not intense". To me it says mentally balanced human being. And I am going to prefer that over an imbalanced fruit cake that cant turn off his emotion and beats his wife or gets into fist fights with people off the field or something else equally disgusting and illegal.

Plain and simple you are taking it too far by saying the only emotion a player can have after a loss is anger.

gary
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM

You are right. But the subject isn't off-limits and is allowed to be broached when the team has never done anything.People have different personalities and maybe AJ just suites yours better just like Winston fits other types of personalities just as well. You don't like his personal preferences that is fine. Don't pay him any mind if you don't want to but Winston is who he is such is life. This is not a knock on you but it is just the best way I could put it. I will also admit he could improve his pass blocking a bit.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
No NFL team would have that ever no matter how hard they tried.

No but you're more than opening yourself up to other people calling you out for not liking a players game due to completely made up reasons in your own head.

I really wish people here did a little more reading comprehension and review....not you in general bong, but in this whole thread. I admitted in my first post that it wouldn't be popular. I admitted Winston is a likeable and good guy. I admitted that he is one of the better linemen on the team. I said his message gets stale when it is pumped full of excuses... the typical Texans PR crap. I also mentioned that I think there is always room for more work when you haven't done anything in your profession yet. That is all.

You sure are assuming a lot. You're the only one getting defensive here, and you just sound like a bitter fan.

What?Your post doesn't make any sense. I haven't assumed anything. I said he might work hard...but he might not. The subject isn't off limits. I haven't gotten defensive. I'm explaining a basic point that people are skipping over....his message and what he might be missing. I'm far from bitter. I just have an open mind about the team. It is comments that are so black and white personal like yours that make people look ignorant.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
And for the film and pratice stuff...this is what my mindset is on it. We all have jobs. If you worked at your job for years yet your company and yourself were always coming in under numbers/production, etc then what would be the answer? Work harder, new techniques, different ideas, more time in, etc. If I was a team member of your company and was a good guy and did ok but also spent alot of time doing "other work" people might think...we might get over the hump or he might help us more if he was totally into this "one" thing. I don't think that is a reach. It is speculation but not a reach. According to those tweet and recent threads the Texans have workouts. He may be there but he also is at ESPN doing prep work, talking to Skip on 2 one hour shows, etc. That doesn't include local radio time, etc. To me there might be better time wasters when your team and you as a team member can improve. I'd rather hear him say "I'll keep doing my weekly show but we all can get better and until then my focus is purely going to be football." Again, this is how I like to see things.

b0ng
06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
I really wish people here did a little more reading comprehension and review....not you in general bong, but in this whole thread. I admitted in my first post that it wouldn't be popular. I admitted Winston is a likeable and good guy. I admitted that he is one of the better linemen on the team. I said his message gets stale when it is pumped full of excuses... the typical Texans PR crap. I also mentioned that I think there is always room for more work when you haven't done anything in your profession yet. That is all.

I didn't say you hated him as a person, I said that you didn't like his game almost entirely due to made up reasons in your head, and you're getting called on it. It's one thing to say I don't like this guys personality etc etc, but to question his work ethic and saying that his game is suffering because he makes too many media appearances and that's why he's not playing up to snuff in your book, is not liking how a player plays for entirely made up reasons. Pointing out that he whiffed on some pass blocking last year, or he didn't excel in the run-game like he normally does, but doing so with logical and thought out reasoning (He can't bend at the waist as much as we'd like, his footwork needs help), stuff you can point at game film and say "See this is what I'm talking about" is usually met with much less friction, than just pointing to him being on 610 a lot, or appearing on ESPN a lot. That's just silly reasoning and it makes me think you're trying to use emotion to form your arguments rather than logical thinking.

I've thought that Winston was slightly overrated by fans and the team, especially when they gave him that contract, but I don't think his media appearances or analyst work on the radio is the cause of that. He's always had some physical limitations (Fairly short arms, not exactly the most athletic guy, problems with speed rusher) to his game, and he has done some things well. No way do I think that his problems are related to being accessible to the fans and media outlets is the root cause of the problem. I mean it's not like he's Reggie Bush concentrating on his commercial and endorsement career while his actual football career is lackluster. You're talking about a guy who comes on the radio like once or twice a week for a few hours and goes on to ESPN even less than that. It's silly.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I didn't say you hated him as a person, I said that you didn't like his game almost entirely due to made up reasons in your head, and you're getting called on it. It's one thing to say I don't like this guys personality etc etc, but to question his work ethic and saying that his game is suffering because he makes too many media appearances and that's why he's not playing up to snuff in your book, is not liking how a player plays for entirely made up reasons. Pointing out that he whiffed on some pass blocking last year, or he didn't excel in the run-game like he normally does, but doing so with logical and thought out reasoning (He can't bend at the waist as much as we'd like, his footwork needs help), stuff you can point at game film and say "See this is what I'm talking about" is usually met with much less friction, than just pointing to him being on 610 a lot, or appearing on ESPN a lot. That's just silly reasoning and it makes me think you're trying to use emotion to form your arguments rather than logical thinking.

I've thought that Winston was slightly overrated by fans and the team, especially when they gave him that contract, but I don't think his media appearances or analyst work on the radio is the cause of that. He's always had some physical limitations (Fairly short arms, not exactly the most athletic guy, problems with speed rusher) to his game, and he has done some things well. No way do I think that his problems are related to being accessible to the fans and media outlets is the root cause of the problem. I mean it's not like he's Reggie Bush concentrating on his commercial and endorsement career while his actual football career is lackluster. You're talking about a guy who comes on the radio like once or twice a week for a few hours and goes on to ESPN even less than that. It's silly.

Again though, and I'll leave the arguments be...I don't find it silly and I explained it in the post above yours regarding the workplace. There are all kinds of things that affect a players game.....including prep work. In one week or so I saw him on ESPN(on their campus), read him talking to Peter King, heard an interview on 1560 with him and saw that a show this fall with him is being promoted. To me that is alot of time when you look at prep work, etc. But in reality we are talking about 10% of why I wrote what I did. 90%, as stated, was in regards to the excuses and content. I'm not comparing the film work to Carr but I, and others got blasted early on for saying Carr didn't put in film time because he left practice earlier, etc and back then a majority said "we don't know what he does at home...neg rep hater, etc." Come to find out he didn't put in the work. We don't know what these guys do but when you have a losing team and your play isn't tops, then I don't think it is silly to ask where players are putting in their time. I knew it would be unpopular but I cringe when I hear him on another station and change it.

HTown2ATX
06-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Wait, wait, wait...............

Did this seriously happen......?

There are not enough facepalm smilies in the universe to cover that!

Ole Miss Texan
06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Eric Winston is a just another thug that went to The U.... enough said.

/endsarcasm

b0ng
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Again though, and I'll leave the arguments be...I don't find it silly and I explained it in the post above yours regarding the workplace. There are all kinds of things that affect a players game.....including prep work. In one week or so I saw him on ESPN(on their campus), read him talking to Peter King, heard an interview on 1560 with him and saw that a show this fall with him is being promoted. To me that is alot of time when you look at prep work, etc. But in reality we are talking about 10% of why I wrote what I did. 90%, as stated, was in regards to the excuses and content. I'm not comparing the film work to Carr but I, and others got blasted early on for saying Carr didn't put in film time because he left practice earlier, etc and back then a majority said "we don't know what he does at home...neg rep hater, etc." Come to find out he didn't put in the work. We don't know what these guys do but when you have a losing team and your play isn't tops, then I don't think it is silly to ask where players are putting in their time. I knew it would be unpopular but I cringe when I hear him on another station and change it.

Well I didn't blast you or neg rep you or any of that stuff with David Carr so you don't have to bring up to me, because frankly. . . I don't care. I am maintaining the point to say "Oh he's on ESPN a lot and then on 610 a whole bunch so he's obviously taking away from film time" and using that as a basis for why you think a players game isn't as good as it should be is flat out ridiculous.

I think it's pretty funny that you are justifying your non-reasoning for saying Winston doesn't put in the required work, by saying "Well I was right about Carr. . .". That has like 0 bearing whatsoever if your claims about Winston are even close to the truth. I'll still think that Winston's limitations on the field are more physical than having to do with prep work. Hell most of his analysis is very well thought out and reasoned, so one would have to think that while he's preparing for any radio or tv spots he has coming up talking about upcoming match-ups and whatnot, that he's been studying the film.

HoustonFrog
06-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Well I didn't blast you or neg rep you or any of that stuff with David Carr so you don't have to bring up to me, because frankly. . . I don't care. I am maintaining the point to say "Oh he's on ESPN a lot and then on 610 a whole bunch so he's obviously taking away from film time" and using that as a basis for why you think a players game isn't as good as it should be is flat out ridiculous.

I think it's pretty funny that you are justifying your non-reasoning for saying Winston doesn't put in the required work, by saying "Well I was right about Carr. . .". That has like 0 bearing whatsoever if your claims about Winston are even close to the truth. I'll still think that Winston's limitations on the field are more physical than having to do with prep work. Hell most of his analysis is very well thought out and reasoned, so one would have to think that while he's preparing for any radio or tv spots he has coming up talking about upcoming match-ups and whatnot, that he's been studying the film.

I'm not jsutifying anything. I'm really not even mad, angry or trying to argue or debate you bong. I respect your analysis on why you don't think he is up to snuff. Like I said, 90% of my statements or more were about his content on air and 10% or less was in regards to IF it takes away from his prep time. I brought up Carr only as a reference as to how we can not be sure whether a person is putting in the right time or not. I stand by my business reference post above as an example of what I was talking about. That is logical reasoning. It is an opinion. It won't be agreed on but a small part of me thinks he stretches himself out on the media circuit.

76Texan
06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey, Frog, I believe I understand your points.

But I think (I mean it sounds logical to me) that Winston was given the green light by the Texans to do all these media stuffs.
It's not just that he's somebody to sing the company line.

All teams require the players to be accessible to the media to a certain degree. And when a team finds that a certain player (like Winston) can get positive feedbacks from fans (obviously you're not one of them, but that's not the point), it's probably a good idea to have him doing all these things.
A good population of fans like to interact with the players.

And let's not forget that the media always want something so they can write or talk about. The teams have to work with them. Some players have to deal with the media even if they don't want to. So if a team like the Texans encourage Winston to take up a good portion of that time, it would help the other guys who would rather stay quiet.

I hope I make a little sense?!?

Double Barrel
06-28-2011, 03:35 PM

GTFO!! Did Skip Cluelss really say something that stupid??? :loser

(and thanks to HTown2ATX for pointing that out. I missed the post the first read through)

El Tejano
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I would like to know what the debate was over and what some of the real dialogue was. Could careless about if Eric Winston should've been happy after a loss or not.

Playoffs
06-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Is there a bigger waste of life on this planet than Skip Bayless? He's like a breathing hemorrhoid.

1. Tell us how you really feel.

2. I agree.

BigBull17
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Is there a bigger waste of life on this planet than Skip Bayless? He's like a breathing hemroid.

Hey, we find that comment offensive!

Signed, Hemroids