PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs or bust for Texans' Kubiak?

Texans34Life
06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
No ****, sherlock.... :kubepalm:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Houston-Texas-coach-Gary-Kubiak-must-make-playoffs-061811

A note in a column by The Sports Xchange earlier this week, one of the ironies of the lockout is some endangered coaches might get a reprieve from the hot seat from owners who might be especially reluctant to make a switch after such a tumultuous stretch. That said, the fate of Houston's Gary Kubiak will be interesting to monitor.

Kubiak is going into his sixth season with the Texans, has never qualified for the playoffs and has only one winning record, despite being a chic playoff pick the past couple years. Only three other coaches in modern NFL history Bart Starr (Green Bay), Jack Patera (Seattle) and Norv Turner (Washington) failed to earn a postseason berth in their first five seasons with their teams and returned for a sixth year.

There were a lot of pundits who suggested near the end of last season that Houston owner Bob McNair would give Kubiak the pointed-toe boot, and it didn't happen. In essence, Kubiak got a mulligan.

It will be interesting to see if McNair is as patient, and grants Kubiak a do-over, if the Texans don't carve out a playoff spot in 2011. Even in the midst of a news slowdown because of the lockout, there are some rumblings McNair won't be as understanding.

Kubiak made headlines this week because he and Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt will travel to the Persian Gulf to visit U.S. troops. It's a tremendous gesture on Kubiak's part, but goodwill might not be enough to overcome a bad record in 2011.

Only once in Kubiak's tenure, his first season of 2006, have the Texans failed to rank in the top half of the NFL offensively; and they have been in the top four each of the past three seasons. Only once since Kubiak became head coach, though, has Houston rated higher than 22nd on defense. The team brought in Wade Phillips to fix a unit that was rated No. 30 in 2010, and he could be Kubiak's salvation.

Texecutioner
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
This was supposed to be the case two years ago so I won't waste any time thinking that's the case now. If the seats are already filled to 90% capacity like I have read, then Mcnair already will have considered this season to be a success.

steelbtexan
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
You understand Billionaire BoBBy's thought process quite well.

Otherwise there's no plausible reason for Rick and Gary to still be employed. Why didn't Billionaire BoBBy make this move after the failure that was Richard Smith? Answer the fanbase still believed in Rick and Gary at that time and BoBBy could go cheap by hiring Bush.

Phillips or a vet DC should've been hired as soon as Gary was hired. This would have offset Gary's inexperience. But no BoBBY let Gary make the call and where are we 5yrs later defensively? Historically terrible.

Double Barrel
06-21-2011, 11:13 AM
A 7-9 record will be an improvement and certainly indicative of the team "being on the right track".

I do not doubt McNair's patience. It is tried, it is true, and there are even rumors that it is as infinite as the universe.

Lockout + new DC + current contract / McNair's ∞ patience = Kubiak will be here through the 2012 season. You can't argue with science. :winky:

houstonspartan
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
What's sad is that there's a question mark in the headline.

GP
06-21-2011, 05:48 PM
It'd be just like McNair to go and fire Kubiak after this season.

And somehow manage to lose Bill Cowher (a proven winner) or some up-and-coming guy like Gene Chizik (whom I wanted, by the way, back when we could have had him as our d-coord...he went to Iowa State as HC).

I've stopped trying to figure out Bob McNair because I don't think he knows what the fluck he's doing from day to day anyways, as it pertains to football stuff.

By contrast, he's probably checking with his accountants, they show him the business analytics and the revenue projections, he toodles around with it, and is home enjoying a prompt 5:00 p.m. meal with a guest like Bum Phillips or some such bull**** like that. IMO, there's a reason guys like David Carr were able to be here and half-ass their way for so long.

Bob doesn't seem to have a true football acumen anymore than his first QB did, IMO. Just par for the course.

Hervoyel
06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Playoffs or bust for Texans Kubiak? Hell yeah, third year running.

GNTLEWOLF
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
if by "Bust" you mean a statue of kubiak mounted in a place of honor somewhere in Reliants hallowed halls, I would believe that is exactly what McNair would do with a loser like Kubiak

gary
06-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Three years and counting.

CretorFrigg
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I hear this EVERY year before the season starts.

Let's try something new: Superbowl or Bust

HJam72
06-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I hear this EVERY year before the season starts.

Let's try something new: Superbowl or Bust

I think that's part of the problem right there. This organization spent too many years trying to have its first winning season, and now to make the playoffs; then, it will be to win a playoff game. They make moves, draft, and generally do everything like they are just trying to someday take that next "holy grail" step.

You wanna be a successful franchise, you gotta conduct your business like you are trying to win it all. I'm not saying trade away all your picks for a few years just to draft one guy. I'm saying (under the circumstances) get Aso, or at least Cromartie, or you are admitting that you are not even trying to win.

KA4Texan
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, its Kubes last stand..... ok.

Custer had better odds of getting it right with this many do overs than Kubes.

I do agree though Wade is Kubes best shot.