PDA

View Full Version : NFL Player Busted For Steroids Claimed Tainted Supplement

eriadoc
06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
So Mr. Irrelevant 2008 (Rams) actually made the team, which is unusual. Then he was busted for steroids and suspended in 2009. Like every other player busted for steroids, he denied it. He claimed to be the victim of a tainted supplement. As it turns out, he was telling the truth and he just won a lawsuit against the company that manufactured the tainted supplement.

LINK
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-player-who-claimed-8216-tainted-supplement?urn=nfl-wp2759)
Rams linebacker David Vobora(notes) was suspended in 2009 for a violation of the league's substance-abuse policy. He argued all along that he was the victim of a contaminated supplement.

If you thought about Vobora's suspension at all, you may have thought something like, "Sure, likely story, pal." As it turns out, Vobora was telling the truth. A federal judge backed him up today, awarding Vobora $5.4 million in his lawsuit against the firm that manufactured the supplement.

"It is a landmark decision, not only in the industry but in the ongoing controversy that has dominated sports for the past 10 years with athletes testing positive for steroids," said R. Daniel Fleck, a Spence attorney. "So many of the athletes are claiming that they haven't cheated and the supplements have been tainted. And it's true. They are getting caught in the middle."

I have to admit to finding the story eye-opening. If an athlete tested positive for a performance enhancer and blamed a tainted supplement, I was likely to scoff. Perhaps now I won't be so quick to reach for the skepticism.

Vobora tested positive for methyltestosterone after using a spray manufactured by a company called "S.W.A.T.S." or "Sports With Alternatives to Steroids." The spray was not on the list of NFL-approved supplements, but after studying the list of ingredients and calling the NFL supplement hotline, he believed the product to be safe.

It wasn't. Today, the courts agreed that the product contained something it shouldn't have.

For all the cynicism that professional sports brings out in me, I was happy to hear of one that was vindicated.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I would certainly love to know what "NFL hotline" gave him the OK, because this supplement manufacturer, as far as I know, has never been listed on the NFL's list of "safe (NFL-approved) supplement manufacturers." In fact, if I recollect correctly, EAS is STILL the only NFL-approved supplement manufacturer. No supplement outside those produced by EAS are carte blanche verifiably approved. There is an NFLPA EAS hotline and an NFLPA supplement hotline (to answer general questions about the NSF NFL/NFLPA Supplement Certification Program and certified supplements).

eriadoc
06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I would certainly love to know what "NFL hotline" gave him the OK, because this supplement manufacturer, as far as I know, has never been listed on the NFL's list of "safe (NFL-approved) supplement manufacturers." In fact, if I recollect correctly, EAS is STILL the only NFL-approved supplement manufacturer. No supplement outside those produced by EAS are carte blanche verifiably approved. There is an NFLPA EAS hotline and an NFLPA supplement hotline (to answer general questions about the NSF NFL/NFLPA Supplement Certification Program and certified supplements).

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. If he got the OK from an NFL source, couldn't he go after them as well?

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2011, 09:42 PM
There is only one other supplement manufacturer besides EAS that is presently certified by NSF............Nordic Naturals.

These are the only supplements that are NSF certified (NFL/NFLPA-approved) supplements:

http://www.nsf.org/Certified/Dietary/Listings.asp?StandardExt=NFL&TradeName=&CompanyName=&PlantCountry=&ProductType=&search=SEARCH

http://www.nsf.org/Certified/FuncFoodBev/Listings.asp?StandardExt=NFL&TradeName=&CompanyName=&PlantCountry=&ProductType=&search=SEARCH