PDA

View Full Version : Dang.... Ahman Green goes off!!

Texan_Bill
06-16-2011, 02:26 PM
1560 the Game (Sean the Cablanasian) just interviewed Ahman Green. He roasted the Texans F/O. Also explained that his time in Houston that he had a lot going on in his personal life, ie daughter being sick, dad dieing of cancer and something going on with his mom. He added that the injury led to even Mike Sherman questioning his work ethic, which Mike Sherman was originally a defender of Green from their time in Green Bay. Said he was warned about Rick Smith being a douche.bag (my words, not his) before coming ever coming here but wanted to come because of Andre Johnson and the Texans youth.

He did speak highly of the players and their ability to not quit, and "battle fight" (again, my words not his).

Texecutioner
06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Not a surprise, nor is it anything that people shouldn't already know after 5 years of what we've seen out of the management of this regime. There has been quite a pattern of ex players that leave here to come out and describe this organization in a negative light. Bob still thinks we're on the right track though. :kitten:

pirbroke
06-16-2011, 02:40 PM
I am cool with that, every company needs a douche.bag and sports ain't no different. And why is rick being called this, because he didn't see results on the field from Ahman? I think he should be thankful he was not cut earlier from the texans, all people have tragic times in their lives but you just can't bring it to work. Most of the great athletes in history have used trajic events to do the opposite and excel in sports at that time ( to escape in the game ).
I think he needs to chill out some.

Texan_Bill
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Dude, you don't ask a previous pro-bowler if they are faking an inury. It's unprofessional and renders the relationship irreparable.

*EDIT*

Here's a link to the podcast, if interested: Ahman Green (http://www.1560thegame.com/media/?p=4329)

nero THE zero
06-16-2011, 03:01 PM
It's astonishing that, at this point in time, there is anyone that would dispute or defend Rick Smith's reputation.

Ya, the Texans need a d-bag running their personnel like I need herpes. Makes total sense.

Double Barrel
06-16-2011, 03:05 PM
wow...what he said doesn't surprise me...but it's always a little surprise to hear a player like Green come out and just lay it out there.

This franchise puts the fun in dysfunctional. Both GMs in our history have been jackasses, and judging by the body of their work, not very good GMs.

And before anyone jumps me to rush to the defense of Rick Smith, just remember this is the same brainiac who seems to consider himself a secondary mind that said we were going young at corner. This only led to one of the worst passing defenses in NFL history. He's not part of the solution. He's part of the problem

m5kwatts
06-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Ahman Green is a known jerk. Besides, who expected him to take full responsibility for his awfulness here? Not me. It's always easier to blame everyone but yourself.

Señor Stan
06-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Mr. Green, will you please point to the spot on the Teddy Bear where Rick Smith hurt you.

TEXANRED
06-16-2011, 03:15 PM
1560 the Game (Sean the Cablanasian) just interviewed Ahman Green. He roasted the Texans F/O. Also explained that his time in Houston that he had a lot going on in his personal life, ie daughter being sick, dad dieing of cancer and something going on with his mom. He added that the injury led to even Mike Sherman questioning his work ethic, which Mike Sherman was originally a defender of Green from their time in Green Bay. Said he was warned about Rick Smith being a douche.bag (my words, not his) before coming ever coming here but wanted to come because of Andre Johnson and the Texans youth.

He did speak highly of the players and their ability to not quit, and "battle fight" (again, my words not his).

Green sucked and didn't finish a single season. It was so bad Dayne was our best option.

Sucks about his personal life though.

Showtime100
06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Mr. Green, will you please point to the spot on the Teddy Bear where Rick Smith hurt you.

:spit: Rep if I could, Stan. Awesome.

scourge
06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
:spit: Rep if I could, Stan. Awesome.

got it for ya

dtran04
06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
It's funny that it was the d-bag that signed him to that crazy contract. Otherwise, he would have been playing for the UFL/CFL way earlier.

DonnyMost
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Ahman Green has zero room to talk about anybody else considering the amount of money he basically stole from the Texans.

False Start
06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Poor him, the whole organization didn't bow down and stop everything to adjust to, "the way he is." :crying: :clown:

Ole Miss Texan
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm kinda with most of you guys... Green just came off sounding whiney to me. I feel for him about all the stuff going on in his personal life, you know that has to be tough. But players move to new cities all the time and have to hit the ground running, even if stuff is going on in their lives.

It sounds like a classic case of miscommunication, to me. Or rather - no communication. I'm not being a Rick Smith, Mike Sherman or Gary Kubiak apologist here... but I kind of see their side. Green admitted himself of missing medical treatment and missing another meeting. Here you're paying this guy millions of dollars + paying all of his medical bills, surgeries, medicine, etc and he misses a treatment? Doesn't sound very professional to me. He basically just told everyone that he didn't tell anybody why he was distracted and was quiet not talking to anyone. It doesn't matter what profession you're in, when your performance goes down and you're not communicating with your boss or co-workers... it's never a good thing.

As far as Rick blatantly asking AG if he's faking the injury... that definitely is something you don't take lightly. It sounds like Sherman tried to talk to him first, I'm sure other coaches and trainers talked to him. I just don't see Smith as a rogue jackwagon that comes out of left field and asks Ahman that question. I see it as a build up after discussing things with Sherman and Kubiak.

I also find it kind of funny he brought up the runningback by committee thing when discussing his time here vs. how well Foster is doing and being known as THE runningback. It didn't have to be RB by committee if one of them would have stood out and played better. It was RBC because they all sucked.

AG just came across as a guy that wasn't happy here in Houston, wasn't making many friends, wasn't playing well and is trying to rationalize it by blaming other people. Not communicating with anyone gets him to butt heads with Sherman and Smith... and then he said that distraction kept him from playing well and could have led to his injury.

:crying: wah-wah :pop:

Ole Miss Texan
06-16-2011, 03:55 PM
It's funny that it was the d-bag that signed him to that crazy contract. Otherwise, he would have been cut from the UFL/CFL way earlier.

fixed it for ya.... LOL

False Start
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
He said he doesn't like to complain, but he pretty much just went Henry Hill and sung like a bird....sure sounded like complaining to me.

Ole Miss Texan
06-16-2011, 04:21 PM
He said he doesn't like to complain, but he pretty much just went Henry Hill and sung like a bird....sure sounded like complaining to me.

He was warned about a couple people in the Texans organization. Funny thing is those same people were warned about HIM. They both lost. :rake:

houstonspartan
06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Eh. Neither side should be pointing any fingers.

I was a big Rick Smith defender up until the end of the season. I always thougth it was soley Kubiak's coaching that has this team in a mess. And, I still do. However, when this team started to tank, Rick Smith was silent and didn't really say that much. When the crap hits the fan, the General Manager has to take over and lead. Smith hasn't done that. I want him gone, too.

As for Ahman, I'd be upset if someone asked me if I were faking an injury. However, the Texans certainly paid him well. I'm sorry he went through a lot of personal things, but, stuff happens. This team paid him VERY well for where he was.

Frankly, both sides should shut the eff up.

GP
06-16-2011, 05:45 PM

OMG, I literally laughed out loud. Gasping for air now.

LOL.

Rep'd you. And I will be using that line in future posts, if you give me permission to. Hell, that's signature status stuff right there, folks....

GP
06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Aw geez, Ahman Green goes David Carr on us.

So predictable. I guess it's the Texans fault for him having gone through such a hard time while he was here? Excuses are like assholes, which makes Ahman an excuse.

steelbtexan
06-16-2011, 06:23 PM
This is a 50/50 deal. Lack of communication.

With that said I kinda agree with Smith and Gary. It's all about performance and Green didn't perform up to the expected standards. Sorry to hear about his family problems though.

Double Barrel
06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Ahman Green has zero room to talk about anybody else considering the amount of money he basically stole from the Texans.

Stole? Seriously? The Texans offered him a contract. They knew what they were getting. Hell, we talked about it on the forums when it happened. So if us mere fans knew the risks, you know the FO knew it was a risk.

What player out there does not take the money that he is legally owed by a team when they do not perform up to their contract? NONE of them refuse to accept payment when they fail.

Yeah, Green is being a little ***** here, but who cares? He's gone. The fact of the matter is that we still have a little ***** as a GM, and I have yet to hear one player come out with a positive endorsement of the guy. He's a tool and does McNair's dirty work. This franchise is just getting funnier and funnier with each passing year. Good jokes have a way of doing that.

nut
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Ahman Green was our stupidest acquisition ever. Everybody but the FO knew he was damaged goods, including Ahman. He ought to keep his trap shut. He was on the scam.

CretorFrigg
06-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Fire Rick Smith.

michaelm
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Not a surprise, nor is it anything that people shouldn't already know after 5 years of what we've seen out of the management of this regime. There has been quite a pattern of ex players that leave here to come out and describe this organization in a negative light. Bob still thinks we're on the right track though. :kitten:

I'd be interested if you'd expand in the pattern you mention. I'm not remembering too many instances myself.
Not saying you're wrong, though.

GP
06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Are you dense, boy? Where does Smith even make a public response to Green?

The only concerning thing about Rick Smith is why he even pursued a washed up running back like Ahman Green in the first place?

Don't call him "boy."

He has his opinion. You have yours.

In MY opinion, Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak were trying to get a RB that this franchise needed. They took a chance on the guy, probably feared he would be a risk...but maybe a risk worth taking--And frankly, since that particular "risk" they took on Ahman, they haven't really taken any other chances on guys. Kubiak and Smith don't want to be on the hook for any more Ahman Greens.

It was the Ahman Green failed experiment that led all three (McNair, Smith, and Kubiak) to say they would no longer extend a nice contract to ANY player whom they considered to be an Ahman Green-type player--A guy at the end of his career who is a health risk regardless of past performance elsewhere.

So on the Texans' end, I certainly see what they were trying to do. It was probably way too heavily weighted on the "bust" end for a lot of people's tastes (I certainly panned the acquisition immediately).

ON AHMAN GREEN'S END...

He took the money. He knew if he was capable or not, but yet Ahman Green could have also had unreasonable expectations on his end, too, in regards to expectations of himself AND of the Texans (such as wanting them to "understand his situations better" etc.).

At the end of the day, it's pretty dumb of Ahman Green to try and say this stuff. Sometimes it's better to just take the money and run (not run your mouth, but rather RUN WITH THE DOUGH and hush).

That's why I say Ahman Green is the foolish one here.

Norg
06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Wow I didn't know the players interact wit the general manager on a day to da basis ...... Really tho don't the players umm rarely see the gm if anything the players are around the coaches more then the front office

Alot of the players that suck bad mouth us when they leave

But the core guys and the core guys are getting bigger due to the style in which we build our team seem to like playing for the texans

Rey
06-16-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm glad that there is actually some controversy. . Or bitching. Whatever this is.

I almost feel like we have a real franchise now. All we need to do now is sign a troubled player or two and maybe have a couple arrest.

Brisco_County
06-16-2011, 11:22 PM
The guy couldn't stay healthy enough to justify the millions the FO paid him, but somehow the FO is the unreasonable party.

Ok!

CretorFrigg
06-16-2011, 11:45 PM
The guy couldn't stay healthy enough to justify the millions the FO paid him, but somehow the FO is the unreasonable party.

Ok!

The FO is unreasonable for signing Green to such a ridiculous contract, knowing the history of Green's health.

JamesBill
06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
This guy was terrible. All week we were told he was good to go and ready for the game, then 3 plays in he was knocked out for the day.

houstonspartan
06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Don't call him "boy."

In MY opinion, Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak were trying to get a RB that this franchise needed. They took a chance on the guy, probably feared he would be a risk...but maybe a risk worth taking--And frankly, since that particular "risk" they took on Ahman, they haven't really taken any other chances on guys. Kubiak and Smith don't want to be on the hook for any more Ahman Greens.

It was the Ahman Green failed experiment that led all three (McNair, Smith, and Kubiak) to say they would no longer extend a nice contract to ANY player whom they considered to be an Ahman Green-type player--A guy at the end of his career who is a health risk regardless of past performance elsewhere.

So on the Texans' end, I certainly see what they were trying to do. It was probably way too heavily weighted on the "bust" end for a lot of people's tastes (I certainly panned the acquisition immediately).

You have a very good point here. Whenever I hear Bob McNair make vague references about how they're not going to overspend on a free agent, I always think about Ahman Green. I just do.

They tried. They failed. And now they're (overly)-cautious.

Great point.

houstonspartan
06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm glad that there is actually some controversy. . Or bitching. Whatever this is.

I almost feel like we have a real franchise now. All we need to do now is sign a troubled player or two and maybe have a couple arrest.

LOL!

Well, I would have thought that the two steroid-related suspensions last season would have qualified us as a "real" franchise. But I do see your point though. LOL.

I think a players arrest or an assistant coaching getting shit-faced drunk in public would put us over the top and earn us our franchise cred. (Bonus points if the drunk coach's public rant was filmed by someone with a camera and posted on You Tube).

TEXANRED
06-17-2011, 01:00 AM
@ 18:30 something, does he flush the toilet?

TEXANRED
06-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Ahman Green was our stupidest acquisition ever. Everybody but the FO knew he was damaged goods, including Ahman. He ought to keep his trap shut. He was on the scam.

Sorry but Boselli or Todd Wade trumps Green any day of the week.

scourge
06-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Sorry but Boselli or Todd Wade trumps Green any day of the week.

Philip Buchanon? I think he trumps Todd.

KA4Texan
06-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Oh no, say it aint so......... but how would he know how the Texans are.............

Ohhhhh yeah, he did play for us huh....... I really miss that guy.:sarcasm:

TimeKiller
06-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if just once....just ONCE....Smith or Big Bob came out in an interview and said, "Ahman...A...Ahman who? Green? Oh yeah, yeah, I remember. Just tell him to enjoy his retirement."

Alas, they're *********s with no balls.

Texan_Bill
06-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Are you dense, boy? Where does Smith even make a public response to Green?

The only concerning thing about Rick Smith is why he even pursued a washed up running back like Ahman Green in the first place?

You need to quit with the personal attacks!!

Texan_Bill
06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Don't call him "boy."

ON AHMAN GREEN'S END...

He took the money. He knew if he was capable or not, but yet Ahman Green could have also had unreasonable expectations on his end, too, in regards to expectations of himself AND of the Texans (such as wanting them to "understand his situations better" etc.).

At the end of the day, it's pretty dumb of Ahman Green to try and say this stuff. Sometimes it's better to just take the money and run (not run your mouth, but rather RUN WITH THE DOUGH and hush).

That's why I say Ahman Green is the foolish one here.

Don't forget that Mike Sherman had a large role in bringing Green here!

Texan_Bill
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Marcus Coleman on 1560 taking his shots at Rick Smith, now.

ChampionTexan
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Don't forget that Mike Sherman had a large role in bringing Green here!

Absolutely.
That first taste of free agency was exciting for Ahman. With his former head coach and friend, Mike Sherman (Ahman was referred to by teammates as ‘Ahman Sherman’), with the Texans, Houston put on the recruiting blitz -- private plane, floor tickets to a Rockets game, fancy dinner and hotel suite, etc. And, by the way, over $8 million in the first two years of the deal, a good bit more than we were willing to pay.

From a National Football Post column written by Andrew Brandt (Former Packer Exec) when Green Bay brought Ahman back. Obviously, an older article, but some might find it interesting.

LINK (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ahman-never-should-have-left.html)

HOU-TEX
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Marcus Coleman on 1560 taking his shots at Rick Smith, now.

Coleman was long gone by the time Smith got here. Makes me wonder how he's got the ammo to take shots

Texan_Bill
06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Coleman was long gone by the time Smith got here. Makes me wonder how he's got the ammo to take shots

Coleman is a "Texans Ambassador" and still has many "ins" within the organization.

BTW, here is linkage to Coleman's thoughts: http://bit.ly/kax2HZ

Dr2bKay
06-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I guess he doesn't want to be a Texans Ambassador anymore....

Mr. White
06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Probably old news around here, but I just heard for the first time that Tramon Williams' agent called Rick Smith and Rick never returned the call.

:wadepalm:

Runner
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I posted that Rick Smith was a problem, not a solution, early on. This was when "In Smithiak We Trust" signatures were in vogue. I've received some flack about that over the years, but nothing has ever convinced me otherwise.

It seems the Texans media machine can't keep a lid on things forever.

Mr. White
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
It also sounds like the guy's made quite a reputation for himself around the league. And not a good one. No wonder why we're not landing the big name FA's.

I have yet to hear anyone say that Rick Smith is a stand-up guy.

gary
06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Whether you are a Smith supporter or not if this idea from former Texans and one player who is still with the organization then things might get very interesting in Texans land.

TexansFanatic
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm not going to defend Rick Smith's reputation, but I sure as hell won't let Ahman Green affect my opinion of him.

Green had personal problems? Who the #!*! doesn't?

He gave the Texans next to nothing for their investment and now he's crapping on Rick Smith?

Just go away, Ahman.

gary
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm not going to defend Rick Smith's reputation, but I sure as hell won't let Ahman Green affect my opinion of him.

Green had personal problems? Who the #!*! doesn't?

He gave the Texans next to nothing for their investment and now he's crapping on Rick Smith?

Just go away, Ahman.Now Coleman is taking shots which is not a positive sign no matter who's side you are on. No one here has worked for Smith like these two ex players have before we just jump to conclusions about either Ahman Green or Marcus Coleman.

TexansFanatic
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Now Coleman is taking shots which is not a positive sign

Hmmmm.....I like Marcus. This would tend to explain why the Texans seem to do well in the draft, but are non-players in free agency.

Not good.

gary
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Hmmmm.....I like Marcus. This would tend to explain why the Texans seem to do well in the draft, but are non-players in free agency.

Not good.Ahman has had his moments and is not exactly a model himself but it was Smith who invested the money going in.

drs23
06-17-2011, 12:46 PM

That made me laugh Stan. Quick wit, I like it. :fingergun:

Blake
06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I think he is just Green with envy.

Texecutioner
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I'd be interested if you'd expand in the pattern you mention. I'm not remembering too many instances myself.
Not saying you're wrong, though.

There just seems to be a lot of players that leave here and either bash the way that management handles things or bashes the way the team is ran from the coaching staff as if it's not really a serious organization. Dunta did when he left, Carr did when he left, Reeves has since he hasn't been here, Green now is going off, and we've also got Coleman saying things that aren't exactly positive as well. There have been others who have said things to, but these are just a few that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment. I know that guys like Carr and Green aren't the best examples since they played like shit here, but there has been a pattern of negativity after players leave here and we haven't seem to have heard anything positive about Rick Smith from anyone. I hear players all of the time leave other teams say how much they loved the organization and the management but things just didn't work out and they had to leave. I don't ever hear any ex players saying that about Smith. Not surprised either.

gary
06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
There just seems to be a lot of players that leave here and either bash the way that management handles things or bashes the way the team is ran from the coaching staff as if it's not really a serious organization. Dunta did when he left, Carr did when he left, Reeves has since he hasn't been here, Green now is going off, and we've also got Coleman saying things that aren't exactly positive as well. There have been others who have said things to, but these are just a few that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment. I know that guys like Carr and Green aren't the best examples since they played like shit here, but there has been a pattern of negativity after players leave here and we haven't seem to have heard anything positive about Rick Smith from anyone. I hear players all of the time leave other teams say how much they loved the organization and the management but things just didn't work out and they had to leave. I don't ever hear any ex players saying that about Smith. Not surprised either.When you have this amount of players saying negative thing whether good or bad.

GP
06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
There just seems to be a lot of players that leave here and either bash the way that management handles things or bashes the way the team is ran from the coaching staff as if it's not really a serious organization. Dunta did when he left, Carr did when he left, Reeves has since he hasn't been here, Green now is going off, and we've also got Coleman saying things that aren't exactly positive as well. There have been others who have said things to, but these are just a few that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment. I know that guys like Carr and Green aren't the best examples since they played like shit here, but there has been a pattern of negativity after players leave here and we haven't seem to have heard anything positive about Rick Smith from anyone. I hear players all of the time leave other teams say how much they loved the organization and the management but things just didn't work out and they had to leave. I don't ever hear any ex players saying that about Smith. Not surprised either.

It's easy to bash a loser. It's like a grown man bullying a young boy.

These dip-shit half-ass players such as Carr and Green and Faggins (IIRC) are so sad about their pathetic state of personal being...that they figure they can try and redeem their suckitude by bashing on the Texans.

I'm not saying Rick Smith is great. I barely think I can muster up the word "good" to describe him. But you know what? None of those guys in the Texans front office come out and go onto a radio show and just blast away at former players.

I think stuff like this is petty and sad.

They made money doing what they did. I bet when they cashed their checks they weren't bad-mouthing him or other FO personnel.

How many former Patriots players or Steelers players you see just hammerin' away at Pats or Steelers FO personnel? They don't, unless they are like the top tier superstar player (Faneca, for example) that didn't get a big contract and had to leave to another team to get it. Otherwise, I never see lower tier, half-ass broke-down players of Faggins and Green's caliber leaving a winning team and bashing them on radio shows.

The reason ex-players of winning franchises don't do this is because any normal person would immediately think the ex-player was just butt-hurt and has misplaced his anger with the former team. On the flip side, by doing these shenanigans to a losing franchise, fans will fall for it and sympathize with the disgruntled ex-player ("Well damn! So THAT explains why we suck so bad!"). I see lots of people falling for the trick. The suckitude on the Texans is a combined effort, and those pantie-waisted ex-players like Carr and Green played their special role in it, so they should just STFU and move along and enjoy the money they stole. IMO.

It's easy to pile onto a losing franchise and accuse THEM of being the reason you didn't make the Pro Bowl every year. All things considered, a pissin' and moanin' ex-player like Carr and Green just gall me when they do this.

No front office personnel deserves to be derided like these former Texans players are doing. It just reveals their true character, IMO. And I guess I can say if there's anything "good" about McNair/Smith/Kubiak it's that they seem to hold their tongue and do their best to speak well of players and ex-players.

Just my .02

dc_txtech
06-17-2011, 03:20 PM
That made me laugh Stan. Quick wit, I like it. :fingergun:

I repped him too, I think his rep bar doubled from that post, lol.

IDEXAN
06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I guess he doesn't want to be a Texans Ambassador anymore....
True that, because McNair dosen't like dirty family laundry hung out for everyone to see.

Second Honeymoon
06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Rick Smith has done a poor job as GM. This is just icing on the cake. Asking that question is unprofessional and will not be looked on in a positive light around the league. Not at all. Both Kubiak and Rick should have been fired when Richard Smith was given his 3rd year and still failed. Jobs should have been on the line at that point. Then promoting from within with Bush only exasperated the problem and should have made Smithiak even more personally responsible for their failings. Yet, they both still keep their jobs. I still can barely rap my head around that fact. I love my team, through thick and thin, but it really is a poorly run and poorly owned team. McNair is in way over his head with these guys that are currently running the show.

I called 6-10 last year but this year I gotta see what they do in FA and how certain players look to have rebounded in whatever preseason games we have. (KJ, Tate, Daniels) Right now, based on what we have in our flock, I think we are at best an 8-8 team.

Now, if Wade Phillips comes in and catches lightning in a bottle, I could look really stupid. I just feel that its gonna be tough to move in FA if you are a tertiary team like the Texans, and that our draft picks need some seasoning. Phillips will come in and help but I think there are personnel issues that will make a quality Texans defense a risky call at best.

Ahman never did anything for the Texans, so I am not a huge AG fan, but you don't ask someone if they are quitting. If the relationship is that bad, you need to cut bait and gtfo.

I really like Brandon Harris' work rate though. Not uber athletic but has great instincts and football acumen. Hopefully it was a Wade pick because Rick, although a DB himself at Purdue, has done a horrible job evaluating DB talent and retaining talent that we have had.

Like it or not, on a real team that is committed to winning, they find a way to retain Dunta in a way that is beneficial to both parties. Rick made it personal and it sounds like that is a common thread with him. (the embarassment that was the Schobel recruitment, Dunta's problems with Rick, alleged treatment of Ahman Green, and then not following through with AJ on promises on being aggressive in improving the team and AJ's comments last year)

But Bob says we are on the right track....

Rey
06-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Rick Smith has done a poor job as GM. This is just icing on the cake. Asking that question is unprofessional and will not be looked on in a positive light around the league. Not at all. Both Kubiak and Rick should have been fired when Richard Smith was given his 3rd year and still failed. Jobs should have been on the line at that point. Then promoting from within with Bush only exasperated the problem and should have made Smithiak even more personally responsible for their failings. Yet, they both still keep their jobs. I still can barely rap my head around that fact. I love my team, through thick and thin, but it really is a poorly run and poorly owned team. McNair is in way over his head with these guys that are currently running the show.

I called 6-10 last year but this year I gotta see what they do in FA and how certain players look to have rebounded in whatever preseason games we have. (KJ, Tate, Daniels) Right now, based on what we have in our flock, I think we are at best an 8-8 team.

Now, if Wade Phillips comes in and catches lightning in a bottle, I could look really stupid. I just feel that its gonna be tough to move in FA if you are a tertiary team like the Texans, and that our draft picks need some seasoning. Phillips will come in and help but I think there are personnel issues that will make a quality Texans defense a risky call at best.

Ahman never did anything for the Texans, so I am not a huge AG fan, but you don't ask someone if they are quitting. If the relationship is that bad, you need to cut bait and gtfo.

I really like Brandon Harris' work rate though. Not uber athletic but has great instincts and football acumen. Hopefully it was a Wade pick because Rick, although a DB himself at Purdue, has done a horrible job evaluating DB talent and retaining talent that we have had.

Like it or not, on a real team that is committed to winning, they find a way to retain Dunta in a way that is beneficial to both parties. Rick made it personal and it sounds like that is a common thread with him. (the embarassment that was the Schobel recruitment, Dunta's problems with Rick, alleged treatment of Ahman Green, and then not following through with AJ on promises on being aggressive in improving the team and AJ's comments last year)

But Bob says we are on the right track....

IMO wade is our only hope.

Our headcoach has been poor, same for the gm and owner. That's a lot of suckiness for wade to overcome.

Then on top of that we've just gotten younger on defense.

I'm not sold yet that this is going to be the year. A few good fa signings may change that though.

CloakNNNdagger
06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
It's easy to pile onto a losing franchise and accuse THEM of being the reason you didn't make the Pro Bowl every year. All things considered, a pissin' and moanin' ex-player like Carr and Green just gall me when they do this.

No front office personnel deserves to be derided like these former Texans players are doing. It just reveals their true character, IMO. And I guess I can say if there's anything "good" about McNair/Smith/Kubiak it's that they seem to hold their tongue and do their best to speak well of players and ex-players.

Just my .02

I won't disagree with you on the sad state when you hear this bashing by ex players, especially when they had a poor track record while here. But just like a known liar can occasionally speak the truth, it behooves us not to entirely discard what they may have to tell us.......and at least apply it to what our own eyes see.

And there is a very good reason your would not see the FO bashing ex players. It would obviously play negative to the current players.........and make this an even less appealing stop for any new potential players.

gary
06-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I have to agree with SH while many of us are quick to undermine these statements just because they are coming from a player who played pretty crappy during his tenure here. Ahman was over the top and looking to just barely survive and have one last rodeo in the NFL. The Texans were still seeking out their all time franchise RB and for all they knew they just needed help that is all. Green had major injuries before ever setting foot in city but I'm sure the Texans just kept remembering all the great seasons he had in Green Bay so that is the standard he was going to be held to like was twenty five years old and injury free. David Carr was drafted nine years ago as your supposed franchise QB but his NFL journey never turned out the way he had planned due largely to him just not ever being good enough but because he was meant to be an all star player his negative words upon joining Carolina still did hold weight at that time and in my opinion they still would today even though again he never grew into the elite and HOF status like he should have one has to wonder if a poorly run organization did not assist in putting his career on a much faster track to disaster than it would have been. Now you see Ahman Green and Marcus Coleman playing hard ball years later and in 2009 this time it was the issues with Dunte Robinson who whether right or wrong the problem was still looming overhead for an entire training camp. Butler is presently tweeting about leaving once the business session resumes in the NFL and Jason Babin was not to fond of his playing days here either so all of this as a Houston Texans football team fan you definitely do you have a cause for concern about organizational dis function within the front office of this team no matter if it is just a little bit or a lot.

houstonspartan
06-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Guys, I sense that we're on the verge of re-writing the Dunta Robinson story. Hold the phone.

Dunta was an ass. We offered him, what, $25 million in cash (waaaay over what he was worth) based simply on the fact that he was considered a leader. What did he do? He turned us down. That told us that he never wanted to play here. I'm fine with that. If he doesn't want to be a Texan anymore, fine. Just say so.

But Dunta played both ends against the middle via the media, and tried to turn himself into a victim. He got a nice big payday in Atlanta, and I'm happy for him. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we treated him wrong, because we went out of our way to make him a great offer.

gary
06-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Guys, I sense that we're on the verge of re-writing the Dunta Robinson story. Hold the phone.

Dunta was an ass. We offered him, what, $25 million in cash (waaaay over what he was worth) based simply on the fact that he was considered a leader. What did he do? He turned us down. That told us that he never wanted to play here. I'm fine with that. If he doesn't want to be a Texan anymore, fine. Just say so.

But Dunta played both ends against the middle via the media, and tried to turn himself into a victim. He got a nice big payday in Atlanta, and I'm happy for him. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we treated him wrong, because we went out of our way to make him a great offer.The point is that several players have taken shots at Smith which is not positive either way.

houstonspartan
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
The point is that several players have taken shots at Smith which is not positive either way.

Well, sure. I agree. But let's keep things clear and not paint some players, like Dunta, as victims. Rick Smith offered him a LOT of cash, and he turned it down.

gary
06-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, sure. I agree. But let's keep things clear and not paint some players, like Dunta, as victims. Rick Smith offered him a LOT of cash, and he turned it down.No one in this thread has done so that I know of.

steelbtexan
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
These are the kinds of things that happen with losing franchises. The main problem is there is a passive agressive attitude the runs from Billionaire Bobby to Uncle Tom Rick to Good ole hometown boy/Aggie Gary to ditto Wade etc...

Until this changes the Texans will continue to be losers. I fully expect them to make the playoffs next yr. I mean they are getting to play 4 division games against rookie QB's. But there will be a quick embarrassing playoff exit.

That should be enough to keep status quo in the organization for another 2/4 yrs and Billionaire Bobby will continue to perpetuate this fraud on the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS. Why? because he will keep on making $$$$$ hand over fist.

gary
06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
These are the kinds of things that happen with losing franchises. The main problem is there is a passive agressive attitude the runs from Billionaire Bobby to Uncle Tom Rick to Good ole hometown boy/Aggie Gary to ditto Wade etc...

Until this changes the Texans will continue to be losers. I fully expect them to make the playoffs next yr. I mean they are getting to play 4 division games against rookie QB's. But there will be a quick embarrassing playoff exit.

That should be enough to keep status quo in the organization for another 2/4 yrs and Billionaire Bobby will continue to perpetuate this fraud on the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS. Why? because he will keep on making $$$$$ hand over fist.Does this mean Gary is safe until 2021?

CloakNNNdagger
06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Does this mean Gary is safe until 2021?

Sorry, but in my opinion, you Gary ain't got a chance. Not this season, not 2021. You gotta keep your hand on your wallet and stay on the MB only if you wanna try to play it safe. (BTW, what's with the 3rd person?):ahhaha:

thunderkyss
06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
This is goofy. Not just on the Ahman Green part, but for anyone thinking this has anything negative to say about Rick Smith.

Ahman Green is the feather in Rick Smith's cap. He is the only FA that was kinda sorta something before he got here. He is the biggest fish Rick Smith was able to land. Just because Ahman's coach (Sherman) who knew Ahman lost faith in him (because that is all this interview amounts to), how does this speak badly of Rick Smith?

Ahman Green being Rick Smith's crown gem is bad. That says a lot about Rick Smith. More than Ahman's whining.

We paid the guy some serious jack to be the best football player he could over a 2 year period. I feel bad about his dad, Bret Farve had one of his best games ever the week his father died. I feel bad about his daughter...... but that's got nothing to do with with GlassJaw Ahman Green.

Rey
06-19-2011, 09:41 PM

But Dunta played both ends against the middle via the media, and tried to turn himself into a victim. He got a nice big payday in Atlanta, and I'm happy for him. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we treated him wrong, because we went out of our way to make him a great offer.

I think the point is that we didn't do enough to keep him and we ended up fielding players that were much worse.

gary
06-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Hopefully this team proves something this year and I won't buy the lockout as an excuse because the will be the sixth season for Kubiak.

houstonspartan
06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
I think the point is that we didn't do enough to keep him and we ended up fielding players that were much worse.

Again: What should we have done, other than offer him his asking price WAY above what he was worth? (which is what we did) Name the stadium after him? Erect a statue? Rename our mascot Dunta? What?

I don't know about you, but to most people, $25 million in CASH, UP FRONT, is a lot of money. That's what we offered. (It may have been $23 million, I think, but still). I refuse to believe that Dunta would have starved making that kind of money.

Coming off his his injury season, our offer to Dunta was WAY more than generous. He just didn't want to play here. Atlanta offered him similar money and he took it. He wanted to play for a winning team. I respect that. But don't be a little punk on your way out and act as if we didn't try and keep you, because we did.

Dunta wanted out, but he didn't man up and admit it. And when he tried to backtrack, the damage was already done.

GP
06-20-2011, 02:47 AM
This is goofy. Not just on the Ahman Green part, but for anyone thinking this has anything negative to say about Rick Smith.

Ahman Green is the feather in Rick Smith's cap. He is the only FA that was kinda sorta something before he got here. He is the biggest fish Rick Smith was able to land. Just because Ahman's coach (Sherman) who knew Ahman lost faith in him (because that is all this interview amounts to), how does this speak badly of Rick Smith?

Ahman Green being Rick Smith's crown gem is bad. That says a lot about Rick Smith. More than Ahman's whining.

We paid the guy some serious jack to be the best football player he could over a 2 year period. I feel bad about his dad, Bret Farve had one of his best games ever the week his father died. I feel bad about his daughter...... but that's got nothing to do with with GlassJaw Ahman Green.

I'm in a weird mood lately. I'm not going to be Sunshine Club, but I will say that this Ahman Green interview where he lashes the Texans FO really pisses me off. Most of it--if not ALL of it--is just him being sullen due to Ahman Green not knowing how to handle his failed stint with the Texans.

I would tell Ahman Green that Arian Foster was signed on Rick Smith's watch. In fact, we offered more UDFA money than New Orleans did (according to Arian Foster, who says it was more money AND a shot at the RB1 spot here). Arian got benched during the Raiders game, but he chose to man-up and come back and play hard once he was off the bench. He didn't use it as a crutch and limp around and bad-mouth the coaches. He rose above it. He's even risen above his meager UDFA salary, too.

Matt Schaub was a Kubiak/Smith acquisition. If there is any "crown jewel" in Rick Smith's time here, I think the Schaub trade is it and Foster is a close 2nd. Schaub got hammered a lot here, put on his back and had some rough times before figuring out how to NOT be a Carr version 2.0. He never outed any coaches or the GM for not doing this or not doing that to help him out.

There are just some players who are going to lower themselves to the level of blaming it on the coaches, their teammates, a death in the family, a sick kid, sore muscles, a tooth ache, the humidity, an in-grown butt hair, etc. I don't think these types of players just one day acquire this type of attitude. It's likely been there a long time, lying dormant for whatever reason, but I bet there had always been inklings of it that would sometime rear its ugly head throughout the player's career in High School, NCAA, and NFL.

Players like David Carr, Ahman Green, and Dunta Robinson can go run their mouths all they want. They each got paid pretty well for not much payback to our team (in the grand scheme of things). They got theirs, so why can't they just be satisfied that they robbed their crooked boss of all that money?

The guy in my sig image (below) is a guy whom I think would never stoop to the level of Carr/Green/Robinson. Everything I have read about JJ Watt tells me that he kicks a challenge in the ass, eats hardship for breakfast, and seizes opportunity by the ball sack. I have a feeling that he'd say the only reason he hasn't achieved something is because he hasn't earned it the hard way...yet...but that he's working on gettin' it done.

Norg
06-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Well whats strange is most of our current and maybe even a few recent Ex players have said playing for the texans was playing for a first class organzatian other then the not winning part

b0ng
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
If Rick Smith made great draft picks or negotiated great deals for great players in free agency, all of this crap wouldn't really matter and nobody would be care. You can be a gigantic ******** and still be a good GM (AJ Smith of the Chargers used to be one), but he's not really that good of a GM.

Really though I give less than a shit (if that's even possible) about former players coming out to trash talk the current regime. They don't play for us, they aren't about to leave in free agency so I don't really give a shit. If Johnson or whomever that was good on this team was saying all this stuff, I'd pay way more attention to it.

steelbtexan
06-20-2011, 09:15 AM
If Rick Smith made great draft picks or negotiated great deals for great players in free agency, all of this crap wouldn't really matter and nobody would be care. You can be a gigantic ******** and still be a good GM (AJ Smith of the Chargers used to be one), but he's not really that good of a GM.

Really though I give less than a shit (if that's even possible) about former players coming out to trash talk the current regime. They don't play for us, they aren't about to leave in free agency so I don't really give a shit. If Johnson or whomever that was good on this team was saying all this stuff, I'd pay way more attention to it.

^^^^
This

The only thing I will say is there seems to be something a little teflon/smarmy about Rick Smith. He's done a terrible job as a GM. But nothing seems to stick to him.

It's another sign of no accountability within the Texans organization. Maybe that's the way Billionaire BoBBy wants it.

b0ng
06-20-2011, 09:22 AM
^^^^
This

The only thing I will say is there seems to be something a little teflon/smarmy about Rick Smith. He's done a terrible job as a GM. But nothing seems to stick to him.

It's another sign of no accountability within the Texans organization. Maybe that's the way Billionaire BoBBy wants it.

I think the fact that Smith hasn't tried to **** himself spectacularly in the draft (Mostly by not trading up much if ever, especially in the first round) that the FO can tell themselves "well at least he's not Charlie" and use that logic to keep him around.

I think if Watt has a year that's as bad as Jackson's rookie year though, then Smith is probably out, even if that was a "Wade" pick.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I think the fact that Smith hasn't tried to **** himself spectacularly in the draft (Mostly by not trading up much if ever, especially in the first round) that the FO can tell themselves "well at least he's not Charlie" and use that logic to keep him around.

I think if Watt has a year that's as bad as Jackson's rookie year though, then Smith is probably out, even if that was a "Wade" pick.

Expect:

But, he didn't have the benefit of a full preseason prep. Next year, he will have a break out year........and, if not next year, definitely the year after.

-------------Rick Smith.

gary
06-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Rick Smith is just a bad general manager and I'm just not going to drink any kool aid.

Double Barrel
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
How many former Patriots players or Steelers players you see just hammerin' away at Pats or Steelers FO personnel?

Is this a trick question or are you just be rhetorical?

Are you really asking why championship franchises don't have the problems of the sub-.500-history Texans?

Do you think either of those teams would hire Rick Smith as their GM?

thunderkyss
06-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Matt Schaub was a Kubiak/Smith acquisition. If there is any "crown jewel" in Rick Smith's time here, I think the Schaub trade is it and Foster is a close 2nd. Schaub got hammered a lot here, put on his back and had some rough times before figuring out how to NOT be a Carr version 2.0. He never outed any coaches or the GM for not doing this or not doing that to help him out.

A GMs job is to acquire talent for the team. Matt Schaub, Arian Foster, Wade Smith, all good acquisitions from a talent & production standpoint. Kudos for Rick Smith at identifying & signing these guys.

But as far as bringing in star players, Ahman is the only player Smith has landed so far that had been to a ProBowl before he got to Houston.

In my opinion that makes Ahman Rick's most prolific acquisition. Which says something about Rick's ability to attract talent.

GP
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Is this a trick question or are you just be rhetorical?

Are you really asking why championship franchises don't have the problems of the sub-.500-history Texans?

Do you think either of those teams would hire Rick Smith as their GM?

I'm saying there's some basic psychology involved, as to why an ex-player (one who did jack-squat) would berate his former team IF the former team was a sucky team.

Conversely, you ain't gonna' see an ex-player (one who did jack squat) of a great team do this same sort of crap out in the media.

Situation 1: When YOU suck, you point to it being the fault of the sucky team you were on. The grumbling ex-player knows it will get some play in the team's local papers, and it's a passive aggressive petty bullshit move, IMO.

Situation 2: When you're on a great team, and YOU suck, people will laugh at you when you try to say the awesome team was the reason you personally stunk up the joint. If you didn't make the cut on a great team, it naturally says that YOU couldn't hack it and therefore few ex-players of great teams are going to get the same play in the minds of fans.

CLARIFICATION TIME....

I don't want anybody here to be under illusions that I think Rick Smith is a world-class GM in terms of recruiting, signing, and retaining top talent. I am saying that in this particular, isolated incident with Ahman Green there exists the same motive as we saw with people like David Carr and Dunta Robinson when they trashed out the Texans on their way out: They all three were not performing at high levels, they have not really done anything spectacular since leaving Houston, and so they are bringing weak sauce by saying their woes were due to the Texans.

Our team sucks SO badly, you ought to be able to stand out as a superstar on this team if you just quit feeling sorry for your predicament and just hustle a little. Instead, those guys cashed the checks (with relative ease) and essentially are trying to say their lack of stardom here was not on themselves.

I think that's a fair & balanced view, personally.

GP
06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
In addition, it's not "on Kubiak" nor is it "on Smith" for our troubles.

It's on McNair. Squarely.He makes the top decisions.

He hired a guy, Kubiak, to turn an awful offense into a competent offense. He did just that. Unfortunately, McNair went "familiar" and grabbed Rick Smith as GM. Too cozy with not enough winning history and veteran experience in order to overcome the "familiarity and coziness" factor, IMO.

Kubiak bungled the Richard Smith hiring, but (a) did KUBIAK really hire Richard Smith or was that forced on him by McNair or (b) was Richard Smith the only option due to McNair's allowance for a d-coord in conjunction with who was available at the time? It seems the second time around, Kubiak hired a guy (Frank Bush) that he had been wanting for a long time but couldn't hire due to Bush being under contract with the Cardinals. This makes me think Richard Smith was easily a Plan B or even Plan C type of hire.

Rick Smith has definitely kept us out of cap hell. We got out of it, due to having to ride out so much dead money (a feature leftover from the Casserly era) and yet I think the thing McNair loves so much about Rick Smith--which is what we all loathe so much about Rick Smith--is that it has now become SOP (standard operating procedure) for the Texans to go Free Agent Lite instead of taking more chances. Of course, this begs the question from some on here: "But if there isn't solid, 100% value in free agency at the time, can you blame an organization (Texans) for NOT pursuing the big names at that time?" I dunno.

All I know is there is as sure of a BIG THING at cornerback (Aso) as I have ever seen in my life as an NFL fan, and I bet we can't get him. We're hamstrung by a losing climate in Houston, a new d-coord who was fired as HC of the Cowboys just a few months prior, no real depth or even starter quality in the entire secondary, and a guy in Aso who probably will be a NY Jets player when it's all said and done. Why? The odds are favorable for them to get to the next level this year. Us? LOL. Yeah, sure.

At the end of the day, folks, we have an inept and slow-learning and slow-to-change owner who is learning the game on the fly. My greatest contempt is for the owner because HE hires these guys and HE chooses to retain them rather than cut bait and find the HC and the D-Coord out there who can take what we have and make it better. IMO, Cowher would be the best bet to do just that. Then again, maybe "Gosh darn. Aw, Shucks" Kubiak gets it done???

:spit:

HoustonFrog
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not really sure how this is a surprise regarding Rick Smith. The guy has sucked. Everyone from ex-players to guys wanting to come here to people in the media have said the guy is a world class prick with attitude that pretty much doesn't know what he is doing.(though Richie hating him isn't a surprise either) That is what he has shown. I've heard this on talk radio for years. From LZ today

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2011/06/unsolicited-damage-control-for-rick-smith/

Rick Smith, on the other hand, has people ready to shots at him in high and low places. I think it is safe to say that Smith’s tenure as general manager of the team is not strong enough to warrant consideration in that capacity for any other team at this time and his interpersonal relationships are not what they need to be according conversations I’ve had over the years with former players and coaches, current players and coaches, agents and a couple of personnel people.

Let me lay all my cards out on the table for you so you know that what I’m writing today doesn’t have an agenda behind it.

I’ve spoken with Rick Smith on a few occasions over the years and we’ve exchanged emails regarding a couple of football-related issues in the past. When I found out how disappointed Aaron Schobel was with how his dealings with the Texans and Rick Smith went, I contacted Rick to get his side of the story and he answered. Am I buddy-buddy with Rick Smith? No. Do I dislike him? No. Rick Smith will tell you right out front that the organization believes in the “once voice” concept and Kubiak is that public voice. While I think that Smith needs to be more accessible to the media so that the fans can hear directly from him, I really don’t care if Smith is difficult to deal with for the media or not – as long as he does his job well.

He also said that he was warned by some former players to keep an eye on Rick Smith as he might not be trust-worthy. The real eye-opener during the interview was that Ahman Green claimed that Rick Smith called him into his office during the 2007 season and asked him directly if he was faking injuries. BAD. MOVE.

The next morning on the radio, we were discussing Ahman Green’s interview and comments and former Texans’ defensive back Marcus Coleman called into the show to give his opinion of Rick Smith and how the Texans are run. Coleman has no axe to grand with Smith as he was gone from the Texans before Smith came along, but Marcus has spoken with players who have played under Smith and he’s still tight with a few people inside the organization who have given him info over the years. If you’re thinking of trying to discredit Marcus Coleman with some type of “DUI” blast, save it.

I’ve spoken to Marcus at length over the last two years and he’s simply frustrated at what he sees. Coleman came from the Bill Parcells school of building and coaching a team and he played under then defensive coordinator Bill Belichick. As a Houstonian, Marcus shares the same frustration that we all feel while watching this regime operate, but he has the added burden of understanding how things should and could be done differently.