PDA

View Full Version : What's our contingency plan at swing T

nero THE zero
06-15-2011, 12:48 PM
For those that haven't seen it on Twitter, it looks like Rashad Butler wants out of Houston.

RB2cool Rashad Butler
@
@BrianaShani H town is not the same anymore to me!

RB2cool Rashad Butler
Nation's Capitol!!! Where I wanna take my talents. twitpic.com/5bp4fw
(Picture is a picture of a Redskins cap)

Cushing's response:

briancushing56 Brian Cushing
@
@RB2cool say something stupid like that again and I'll make you take your talents to a hospital bed. Your a #Texan

Butler's Response to Cush:
RB2cool Rashad Butler
@
@briancushing56 The new CBA will decide that!

I can understand why he would want out. He's good enough to start for someone, but you never want to see a good player go and the way he's going about it isn't really the classiest.

Trap_Star
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
i guess he thinks he can start at RT for them.

indiantexan
06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Butler's not the sharpest tool in the drawer. I remember a while ago when he was tweeting about getting high on mary jane and I tweeted back to him to not be so dumb

HOU-TEX
06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Can't blame the guy.

Brisco_County
06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Twitter is like a matchbook for Pro Athletes. They don't know how to keep quiet on business matters.

eriadoc
06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Twitter is like a matchbook for Pro Athletes. They don't know how to keep quiet on business matters.

I like it. It allows the stupid ones to out themselves, so we all get to know for sure.

Does anyone know why Butler is saying that Houston is "not the same anymore"? Did something happen that we know about?

m5kwatts
06-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Couple things about Butler:

-He's too cocky for his own good. He calls himself RB2Cool and has t-shirts/hoodies made with this logo on it to sell. It's actually pretty amazing to see a 2nd string offensive lineman think he's so marketable lol.

-Is his cockiness such a bad thing? Personally, I like that Winston and Brown had this annoying chihuahua nipping at them all these years, I know it's made them better players. I don't like when guys are comfortable with their starting position.

-Butler should feel this way. He's better than a lot of starting tackles in this league. In the NFL, nothing on tape is a secret and you can bet he and his agent have heard through the grapevine of possible interest from other teams.

-He's pretty much a goner anyways. He's going to be an unrestricted free agent when the CBA is signed most likely and the Texans won't get in a bidding war for him is my guess.

This brings us to the 6th round pick Derek Newton. His scouting reports read like a classic ZBS lineman - athletic, quick, and lacks bulk. His arm length is pretty short for a tackle (31") but he did start at right tackle 2 straight years and never played guard, so I assume that's his natural position.

My guess would be this guy gets coached up as hard as Butler was and gets the swing job. Cole Pemberton is under contract, but my guess is he's just a guy, not someone they ever plan on seeing real action.

eriadoc
06-15-2011, 01:37 PM
-Is his cockiness such a bad thing?

Yes, because:

-He's too cocky for his own good.

There's a difference between cockiness and confidence.

m5kwatts
06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes, because:

There's a difference between cockiness and confidence.

But really who cares? Thanks to him for putting pressure on Brown/Winston every day he was a Texan.

HTown2ATX
06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Ok, I don't Tweet......

WTF is the # before everything all about.

# Texans

# Winning

WTF

:kubepalm:

Seņor Stan
06-15-2011, 02:45 PM
The # or hashtag is a way to categorize the tweets. If you clicked the #Texans link it would list all the tweets with that hashtag.

Sometimes a hashtag is added as kind of a punchline to a joke...A tweet about Vince Young might be marked with a #sausage.

Rey
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Butler is better than Winston IMHO.

HTown2ATX
06-15-2011, 03:08 PM
The # or hashtag is a way to categorize the tweets. If you clicked the #Texans link it would list all the tweets with that hashtag.

Sometimes a hashtag is added as kind of a punchline to a joke...A tweet about Vince Young might be marked with a #sausage.

ahhhhhhh....i see...thx....rep if it will let me

gary
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
he might be a good player but if he wants out and wants to be low about then don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

beerlover
06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Derek Newton

m5kwatts
06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
On Derek Newton's 2009 season:

Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference selection . . . Received the Gary Withrow Award as the Red Wolves outstanding offensive lineman of the year . . . One of the most consistent players on ASU's offensive line and the only ASU offensive lineman to start every game in 2009 . . . Helped lead the way for 21 rushing touchdowns, the third most in the Sun Belt Conference . . . Paved the way for three different ASU players rushing for over 100 yards in at least one game and was part of ASU's line that helped the offense to its most yards of total offense (484) against an FBS opponent since the 2007 season.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=1514391

He was first team All-Sun Belt in 2010.

Quick scouting snippets from ESPN insider:

Pass pro: Can lock out and keep defenders off frame but hand placement needs to be more consistent.....

Run block: Drives legs and engulfs smaller defenders but plays high and could generate more push as a drive blocker.

Other notes...Keeps head up and can pick up linebacker when asked to combination block up to the second level.....Played with a torn meniscus and bone bruise in right knee in 2010....

His highest grade was in "toughness"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27147/derek-newton

Texas T
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
ahhhhhhh....i see...thx....rep if it will let me

I got 'em for ya. 'cause I didn't know either.

badboy
06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
On Derek Newton's 2009 season:

Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference selection . . . Received the Gary Withrow Award as the Red Wolves outstanding offensive lineman of the year . . . One of the most consistent players on ASU's offensive line and the only ASU offensive lineman to start every game in 2009 . . . Helped lead the way for 21 rushing touchdowns, the third most in the Sun Belt Conference . . . Paved the way for three different ASU players rushing for over 100 yards in at least one game and was part of ASU's line that helped the offense to its most yards of total offense (484) against an FBS opponent since the 2007 season.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=1514391

He was first team All-Sun Belt in 2010.

Quick scouting snippets from ESPN insider:

Pass pro: Can lock out and keep defenders off frame but hand placement needs to be more consistent.....

Run block: Drives legs and engulfs smaller defenders but plays high and could generate more push as a drive blocker.

Other notes...Keeps head up and can pick up linebacker when asked to combination block up to the second level.....Played with a torn meniscus and bone bruise in right knee in 2010....

His highest grade was in "toughness"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27147/derek-newtonI think Butler is correct that Houston not the same and Newton may be why. Butler may feel Newton nipping at his heels this season as the starters felt Butler. Rashad is a good player & I was impressed at how well he replaced Brown. He is not the starter on this team. He better be hoping Snyder gets stupid one more time and overpays him.

m5kwatts
06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I think Butler is correct that Houston not the same and Newton may be why. Butler may feel Newton nipping at his heels this season as the starters felt Butler. Rashad is a good player & I was impressed at how well he replaced Brown. He is not the starter on this team. He better be hoping Snyder gets stupid one more time and overpays him.

In light of Jamaal Brown playing like ass at right tackle for the Skins last year and Shanny's knowledge of Butler's skillset, it wouldn't surprise me.

It's ironic because Butler's contract will be a reference point for Duane Brown's extension talks which should be starting any time now if it hasn't already.

"Well Rick, the Skins gave Duane's backup all those years this number, so we're gonna ask for this number." I don't want to see what that number is lol.

TexanSam
06-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Butler's not the sharpest tool in the drawer. I remember a while ago when he was tweeting about getting high on mary jane and I tweeted back to him to not be so dumb

He tweeted that? He's lucky the league didn't see it and suspend him.

Lucky
06-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Has there been a more overrated backup on the Texans than Rashad Butler? He proved last year that he was completely out of his element at LT. He was dominated by Ware and Umenyoira. The Texans put up huge rushing numbers on the Raiders, but the big runs were to Winston's side. Butler's just another guy, and the Texans should have little problem getting a swing tackle his caliber (or better).

m5kwatts
06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Has there been a more overrated backup on the Texans than Rashad Butler? He proved last year that he was completely out of his element at LT. He was dominated by Ware and Umenyoira. The Texans put up huge rushing numbers on the Raiders, but the big runs were to Winston's side. Butler's just another guy, and the Texans should have little problem getting a swing tackle his caliber (or better).

Deljuan Robinson. Did he go on to make multiple pro bowls with someone else like some on this board expected?

CloakNNNdagger
06-16-2011, 03:53 PM
For those that haven't seen it on Twitter, it looks like Rashad Butler wants out of Houston.

RB2cool Rashad Butler
Nation's Capitol!!! Where I wanna take my talents. twitpic.com/5bp4fw
(Picture is a picture of a Redskins cap)

This is his accompanying picture.
http://data.crowdreel.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2011/06/15-04/f2471214bff84c7f2f34a609cb683bf4184b1fbd.jpg

Runner
06-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Does anyone know why Butler is saying that Houston is "not the same anymore"? Did something happen that we know about?

It could be any number of things. Maybe "Houston" (the Texans) used to be "on the brink of being very successful" and now they are just a perennial disappointment.

Wolf6151
06-17-2011, 12:44 AM
It's funny how he seems to know where he's going in FA since players aren't suppossed to be having any contact with teams due to the lockout. Butler was a very good fill in at LT when Brown was out. I thought that Butler was better in pass blocking than Brown but not as good in run blocking as Brown. I wish him well and we should be looking for his replacement.

Lucky
06-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Butler was a very good fill in at LT when Brown was out. I thought that Butler was better in pass blocking than Brown but not as good in run blocking as Brown.
Butler was owned in the Giants and Cowboys games. No way was he as good a blocker as Brown in any category.

Dutchrudder
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM

But but but, he's OUR guy! We have all these diamonds in the rough that just need some polishing, like Butler and Jacoby and Diles. They will be pro-bowlers next year!

Texan_Bill
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Rashard, don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!! :fingergun:

DX-TEX
06-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Bu Bye!!

If he doesnt want to be here then let him leave.

CloakNNNdagger
06-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Some of you may not remember, but the Texans could be said to have saved his career. After he was claimed a bust by the Panthers, couldn't gain weight and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Treatment was inadequate until his treatment was taken over by Medical Center doctors took over his treatment following his acquisition by the Texans. I guess it boils down to "what have you done for me lately."

eriadoc
06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
It could be any number of things. Maybe "Houston" (the Texans) used to be "on the brink of being very successful" and now they are just a perennial disappointment.

Well, as easy as that is to believe, I was thinking there might have been some news item I wasn't aware of. Nonetheless, there are ways to handle things and putting that out on Twitter probably isn't the best way to achieve the desired result.

m5kwatts
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
The RB2Cool story won't die. Here's the latest comments from future Washington Redskin Rashad Butler:

Butler to Slaton : @Steve20Slaton Ur boy @ArianFoster is big time now!!! kind of SAD I'm not going to be blocking for him next yr!!!!

http://www.twitter.com/rb2cool

eriadoc
06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
The RB2Cool story won't die.

More aptly stated: The moron won't let it die. He's deliberately stirring it at this point, which just proves that he's stupid rather than ignorant.

m5kwatts
06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
More aptly stated: The moron won't let it die. He's deliberately stirring it at this point, which just proves that he's stupid rather than ignorant.

Teammates are wishing him farewell:

Brian Cushing he's not going anywhere, I'll turn in my jersey like Rudy

Arian Foster hardly that bro!! An we will miss you my man...go get it!!

BIG TORO
06-22-2011, 03:31 PM
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1030476399102&id=c30d6868688ed777525fc3ad1a1efa63
"Well.....Bye!"

Dutchrudder
06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm gonna laugh if after all this is done and he ends up with a minimum contract with a team like the Broncos.

CloakNNNdagger
07-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Butler emphasizes that he wants to become a FA that can leave Houston to become a starter somewhere. He does say that if he has to stay another year, he will give it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmpQJXhyGKk&feature=youtu.be

Lucky
07-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Butler was owned in the Giants and Cowboys games. No way was he as good a blocker as Brown in any category.

The RB2Cool story won't die. Here's the latest comments from future Washington Redskin Rashad Butler:

Butler in the NFC East would be hilarious. I pity Rex Grossman and John Beck.

Rey
07-03-2011, 12:19 PM

He was not owned. First of all the guy hadnt played in a real game in years. And jumped in against some of the better pass rushing teams in the league and held his own.

You want to talk about getting owned go back and watch brown and Winston in the second game against the colts. Brown was out for a month and came back and got his ass handed to him. Butler hadn't played in years and held his own.

Butler probably isn't better than brown, but I do believe that if he had the opportunity to play and take as many reps in practice as Winston he could provide better protection on that side of the line.

Lucky
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
He was not owned. First of all the guy hadnt played in a real efgame in years.
Yes, allowing your opponent to garner 3 sacks (Ware) and 2 sacks (Umenyiora) is the definition of being owned. And the reason Butler hasn't played much in years is...he's not good enough.

Edit: And here's a writeup on Butler's performance in the KC game (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/10/19/re-focused-week-6-chiefs-at-texans/) (his 4th consecutive start):

Come back, Duane Brown. While Albert gave up five pressures, Rashad Butler (-5.6) upstaged the Chiefs’ left tackle with his own poor pass protection. Struggling to cope primarily with Tamba Hali (+3.8), Butler gave up five quarterback pressures and a further two hits of his quarterbacks as he proved he’s not quite ready to be protecting anyone’s blindside.

Houston fans love the backups. They're convinced they are much better than the starters they are sitting behind. Eventually, the backup plays and everyone sees why he's the backup. Most do, anyway.

The Pencil Neck
07-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes, allowing your opponent to garner 3 sacks (Ware) and 2 sacks (Umenyiora) is the definition of being owned. And the reason Butler hasn't played much in years is...he's not good enough.

Edit: And here's a writeup on Butler's performance in the KC game (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/10/19/re-focused-week-6-chiefs-at-texans/) (his 4th consecutive start):

Houston fans love the backups. They're convinced they are much better than the starters they are sitting behind. Eventually, the backup plays and everyone sees why he's the backup. Most do, anyway.

That has nothing to do with Houston. That's true of just about everywhere. That's human nature.

HJam72
07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Connor Barwin.

He's our contingency plan for EVERYTHING. :kubepalm:

beerlover
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Damn training camp can't get here soon enough! I really want to see how newbies Shelly Smith & Derick Newton respond.

CloakNNNdagger
07-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Damn training camp can't get here soon enough! I really want to see how newbies Shelly Smith & Derick Newton respond.

Newton was knocked because of a short wingspan. He was thus projected as an NFL guard by many before the draft. I believe that most of Winston's problems with pass protection has been his short wingspan, which was also a knock with his draft. We don't need 2 tackles with chicken wings.

steelbtexan
07-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Newton was knocked because of a short wingspan. He was thus projected as an NFL guard by many before the draft. I believe that most of Winston's problems with pass protection has been his short wingspan, which was also a knock with his draft. We don't need 2 tackles with chicken wings.

Yep Newton may make a fine RT.

If D.Brown gets hurt and no vet is picked up in FA the Texans season is screwed.

beerlover
07-03-2011, 10:42 PM

In Gibbs ZBS wingspan means squat. It's all about athletic agility & foot speed. From reports I read prior to draft then following Newtons strength is raw physical ability. Texans don't prize wingspan so much even on the edges.

CloakNNNdagger
07-03-2011, 11:12 PM
In Gibbs ZBS wingspan means squat. It's all about athletic agility & foot speed. From reports I read prior to draft then following Newtons strength is raw physical ability. Texans don't prize wingspan so much even on the edges.

Although you can get away with shorter arms in ZB because of the help, in ANY scheme, long arms are helpful for leverage against a pass rusher.......a deficiency that, as strong as Winston is, has proved to be a noticeable weakness in his game.

beerlover
07-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Although you can get away with shorter arms in ZB because of the help, in ANY scheme, long arms are helpful for leverage against a pass rusher.......a deficiency that, as strong as Winston is, has proved to be a noticeable weakness in his game.

Long arms have very little to do with leverage & more to do with spacing- keeping defender from getting into the body. Leverage comes from knee bend, ability to drop hindquarters getting low & underneath along with natural strength. Those basic laws apply to Derick, might as well call them Newtons Laws of Physics. Brown is actually similar while Winston is more stationary because of his mass & lack of natural speed not long arms (wingspan) although in his case it would help create an even bigger arc.

CloakNNNdagger
07-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Long arms have very little to do with leverage & more to do with spacing- keeping defender from getting into the body. Leverage comes from knee bend, ability to drop hindquarters getting low & underneath along with natural strength. Those basic laws apply to Derick, might as well call them Newtons Laws of Physics. Brown is actually similar while Winston is more stationary because of his mass & lack of natural speed not long arms (wingspan) although in his case it would help create an even bigger arc.

I see what you are saying. It makes sense. And as you pointed out, when you lack (natural) speed, it would be helpful to make up for that with a longer wingspan.

It's somewhat interesting to go back and see Winston's draft profile which pushed his mobility and speed. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/424025

Lucky
07-04-2011, 11:12 AM
...Winston is more stationary because of his mass & lack of natural speed not long arms (wingspan) although in his case it would help create an even bigger arc.
Winston is a former TE who ran a sub 5 second 40 at the combine. Probably one of, if not the, fastest RTs in the league.

beerlover
07-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I see what you are saying. It makes sense. And as you pointed out, when you lack (natural) speed, it would be helpful to make up for that with a longer wingspan.

It's somewhat interesting to go back and see Winston's draft profile which pushed his mobility and speed. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/424025

first off happy 4th!

Of course draft profiles can be misleading, I just don't see Eric build as angular, thin-limbed & more finesse than power. I think he's made a good mauler who seems to enjoy it. His footwork speed, side to side has never been the same since he tore his acl back in Junior year @ Miami, of course doc you know this better than me. His arm length is pitiful only 32 1/4" for a left tackle so that along with his mobility issue sideline to sideline (straight ahead is fine, which makes him more a pulling guard) is why he makes a fine RT. I think he plays smart, keeps doing what he's best at & for the most part has kept injury free as a Texan.

Back to our swing tackle discussion & Newton who is not to be confused with Eric for polish or technical powers, is a raw athlete who still retains his natural fluidity, foot quickness if for no other reason never tore his acl or had to rehab. Almost identical measureables with slightly longer arms 33 1/8" he seems more explosive because he's a natural knee bender & could back up both tackle positions in a ZBS because of strong run blocking skills, he's active down field, also mirrors & slides his feet in pass protection. This is the kinda player who is really hurt most by this lockout. Derek needs his reps & coaching, this will probably set him back one year in his development so I don't expect a whole lot this year. Must be patient.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm bring this back because I believe that if we are not able to re-sign Butler or replace him with someone of decent talent, life could quickly become very chaotic if Winston or Brown bite the dust for any period of time. A 7th rounder without offseason experience will be essentially worthless.

Brandon420tx
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
In another thread I made a list of what I thought the probable day 1 roster was going to be, minus FA acquisitions. There were 5 empty roster slots, 1 needs to go to punter, and I hope we get 1 CB, and safety. Another spot for WR, which left me 1 blank spot. OT is very viable and probably more of a priority than WR so I'm putting in that now. Also, if we get a FA safety, I'll cross Barber off my list, although I think its entirely possible we still keep him. Not because I like him but because Kubes has a crush