PDA

View Full Version : The Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

badboy
06-12-2011, 10:14 PM
How would fans react? I don't know how to create poll but I think many would be "ho hum" and want to see how he does. Others like me would be estatic. I think others would complain at how much he costs & demand a Super Bowl.

Where do you line up?

redwhiteANDblue
06-12-2011, 10:17 PM
If your ho-hum with nnamdi then you're crazy.

AnthonyE
06-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm in the same boat as you.

Just a player of Awesome-wah's calibur will turn this secondary from suspect to formidable if not better. We'll see.

wolf123
06-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure I'd strip my cloths off and run naked around my house, If not the street!!

badboy
06-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Pretty sure I'd strip my cloths off and run naked around my house, If not the street!!News at eleven. "do you know where wolf is and what he is doing?"

RTP2110
06-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd flip. the freak. out.

FirstTexansFan
06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't feel the majoritiy of fans would be "Ho Hum" on this one..... it's the difference between the same old BS, and a Super Bowl imo.

wolf123
06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
News at eleven. "do you know where wolf is and what he is doing?"

:goodpost:

Hey my body is a Wonderland!!

badboy
06-12-2011, 10:43 PM
:goodpost:

Hey my body is a Wonderland!!Wait until you get to be my age and you'll probably need a wonder bra.

:headhurts:

Stemp
06-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I start immediately saving for home playoff tickets.

rarazz00
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I think I would tag my underwear :thinking:

GP
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
I think I'd have to start wondering exactly how he's going to break his leg in the preseason and never play a down of reg season ball for us.

I mean, does he trip up on our big sliding trays of grass? Or does Kareem Jackson pull a Ron Dayne and take him out? Does a boulder fall from the sky and land on him? Just typical Texans Luck shit like that.

But that's just me, I guess. I'm a fatalist like that. :worldpeace:

houstonspartan
06-12-2011, 11:57 PM
There's too much "either or" in this discussion.

I wouldn't be ho hum, but I wouldn't be calling Hilton to use my hotel points for the Super Bowl, either.

Would Asomugha's signing be huge? Yes.
Would that automatically put us in the playoffs? No.

Lucky
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Would Asomugha's signing be huge? Yes.
Would that automatically put us in the playoffs? No.
What it would be is a sign that the organization is serious about winning. That commitment has been in question after the retention of Kubiak and Smith.

XI CMURDER IX
06-13-2011, 12:54 AM
It depends on if the new CBA has a salary cap! If it does I will cry myself into a coma and wake up 6 years, 70 million dollars later and see what damage has been done! haha

Allstar
06-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Sorry, but no one would be ho-hum about this. All the people in-the-know would freak out. Then all the others would turn on Sportscenter and then listen to the talking heads, and then freak out.

KA4Texan
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
I normally dont think its fair to say that one man will "save us", but in this case I do find it fair to say, with his talent in one of our weakest areas, would give me hope for something better.

I think bringing him in would be the recharge of hope that we fans need.

Dont get me wrong, IF this season happens Ill be there in person or at my TV screaming...regardless if he is signed or not.... but its so much better to run off a fully charged battery of hope than the back up battery of loving your team... if that makes any sense.

Trap_Star
06-13-2011, 01:29 AM
i'd stream a live feed of me masterbating online...

and of course you would all be invited to watch.

Dutchrudder
06-13-2011, 01:46 AM
If he signs we should throw a party at Reliant with Aso, AJ and Mario celebrating our big 3! Then we can let Aso tell us how we're gonna win not 5, not 6, not 7, but 8 Super Bowls!!!! It's gonna be awesome!!!!

The Pencil Neck
06-13-2011, 02:50 AM

I... uh...

:backsout:

KA4Texan
06-13-2011, 02:52 AM
If he signs we should throw a party at Reliant with Aso, AJ and Mario celebrating our big 3! Then we can let Aso tell us how we're gonna win not 5, not 6, not 7, but 8 Super Bowls!!!! It's gonna be awesome!!!!

Screw that, The whole team, cant leave Foster out, so bring them all.

Trap_Star
06-13-2011, 03:04 AM
I... uh...

you'll be the first to get the link. :doot:

HJam72
06-13-2011, 08:45 AM
IMO, the secondary is the only thing keeping us from the playoffs, and it's been that way for a long time. It would be a sign to me that the organization is getting serious. Sure, he could get injured, Schaub could, Mario (again), Smith, Cushing, Ryans (again), OD (again) etc., so there's no guarantee of anything, but my excitement for this team would be seriously raised.

Ole Miss Texan
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I think there would be a HUGE amount of support for the Texans nationwide, and more importantly, from the home fans in Houston. The fanbase would would be overjoyed that Bob spent the big bucks on the best player available and in my opinion the best CB in the NFL.... which addresses our biggest weakness.

I think Bob bringing in Asomugha AND hiring Wade Phillips as DC in the same offseason would show us all a giant message that he wants to win NOW.

I'd be overjoyed and think this would be the missing piece that pushes us far in the playoffs (let alone just making it). The elephant in the room is can all our players stay healthy??? If so I think it's playoffs easily with a division win. But its the NFL and an injury here or there just puts us back to square 1.

2slik4u
06-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Look, I typically only like to post facts and try and keep my opinions to myself.....for the most part. I think this thread is completely ridiculous in the fact that you think bringing in the best CB in the game to the NFL's worst secondary would make a "ho-hum" impact on our team.

Absolutely ridiculous and Im glad there isnt a poll for this.

You can put me in the category of nothing short of ecstatic if this happened. Ill take it one step further and say that if we signed ANY of the top 7-8 FA CB's, I would be jumping for joy.

I think we are probably one key acquistion (a shutdown CB) from being in the playoffs. Our offense is shored up. Our front seven is in great shape as far as Im concerned with our young bodies and the new scheme brought in from one of the games best DC's. Its our secondary is what sucks the most and could prove to be our downfall.....unless we sign Nnamdi.

Assenine to say the least...

If you would read any of the other "Ill give my first born child to get Nnamdi" threads out there, you would have seen the answer to your head scratcher.

houstonspartan
06-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Look, I typically only like to post facts and try and keep my opinions to myself.....for the most part. I think this thread is completely ridiculous in the fact that you think bringing in the best CB in the game to the NFL's worst secondary would make a "ho-hum" impact on our team.

You can put me in the category of nothing short of ecstatic if this happened. Ill take it one step further and say that if we signed ANY of the top 7-8 FA CB's, I would be jumping for joy.

I think we are probably one key acquistion (a shutdown CB) from being in the playoffs. Our offense is shored up. Our front seven is in great shape as far as Im concerned with our young bodies and the new scheme brought in from one of the games best DC's. Its our secondary is what sucks the most and could prove to be our downfall.....unless we sign Nnamdi.

If you would read any of the other "Ill give my first born child to get Nnamdi" threads out there, you would have seen the answer to your head scratcher.

All I am saying is, let's not act like Miami Heat fans and hold the victory party before the season begins (if we get him). It will be exciting, yes, but then we have to wait and see how all the pieces fit together.

2slik4u
06-13-2011, 10:31 AM
All I am saying is, let's not act like Miami Heat fans and hold the victory party before the season begins (if we get him). It will be exciting, yes, but then we have to wait and see how all the pieces fit together.

That goes without saying, but being "ho-hum" on the biggest FA signing in the entire NFL this year AND in our entire franchises history would warrant a little more than "ho-hum".

Not hating on you, just saying...there would be plenty to be excited about IF we got Nnamdi.

houstonspartan
06-13-2011, 10:35 AM
That goes without saying, but being "ho-hum" on the biggest FA signing in the entire NFL this year AND in our entire franchises history would warrant a little more than "ho-hum".

Not hating on you, just saying...there would be plenty to be excited about IF we got Nnamdi.

I am not saying I would be ho hum. I would be excited. But, I wouldn't be booking my hotel room in Indy just yet.

I fell into that trap last year, when, while walking into the Cowboy game, me and a buddy were having a serious discussion about whether we would drive up to Dallas for the Super Bowl or fly.

Nope, not doing that again. They have to prove something to me.

gary
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I think there would be a HUGE amount of support for the Texans nationwide, and more importantly, from the home fans in Houston. The fanbase would would be overjoyed that Bob spent the big bucks on the best player available and in my opinion the best CB in the NFL.... which addresses our biggest weakness.

I think Bob bringing in Asomugha AND hiring Wade Phillips as DC in the same offseason would show us all a giant message that he wants to win NOW.

I'd be overjoyed and think this would be the missing piece that pushes us far in the playoffs (let alone just making it). The elephant in the room is can all our players stay healthy??? If so I think it's playoffs easily with a division win. But its the NFL and an injury here or there just puts us back to square 1.The best teams overcome this factor of football.

houstonspartan
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
The best teams overcome this factor of football.

Exactly. Injuries happen.

badboy
06-13-2011, 11:03 AM

If you would read any of the other "Ill give my first born child to get Nnamdi" threads out there, you would have seen the answer to your head scratcher.As you now see there are other opinions on the MB besides yours and that is why I posted the thread. Probably surprises you but people can express themselves and should be able to wthout you calling them names.

HTown2ATX
06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I would go bananas! The exact opposite of my fury at last year and how WR's like Ajiritoutou from SD burned up or D like he was Jerry Rice for a career 2 TD day!!!

The anger I had at that game and the rest of the season....this would flip that to the polar opposite.

It would be the 1st time in the Texans off season history and maybe history in general where my BP would sky rocket and I'd start having chest pains and hyperventilating for a GOOD reason.

:jam:
Unfortunately Kubes and the Denny's menu will still be there during the season to counter weight this....

:kubepalm:

DX-TEX
06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
How exactly does signing Aso help the terrible play calling by Kubiak again? Am I missing something here??

gary
06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Exactly. Injuries happen.They are not just not going to happen.

FirstTexansFan
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM

I didn't realize you were a Texan fan Congressman Weiner :)

Kulluminatii
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Hmm...if Nnamdi signed with the Texans, I think I'd be perfectly ok. NFL is a business after all so I shouldn't feel too bad about it...

http://i.imgur.com/W5kMv.gif

Vinnie
06-13-2011, 11:29 AM

Assenine is the right word considering we're staring down not even having a season. I hope the Texans aren't playing nice and are contacting free agents behind closed doors and getting deals done even though they aren't supposed to be. We all know that's not what's happening though. Aso will end up a Jet, Redskin, Cowboy etc. right at 12:01 AM the moment the lockout is lifted.

2slik4u
06-13-2011, 11:56 AM
As you now see there are other opinions on the MB besides yours and that is why I posted the thread. Probably surprises you but people can express themselves and should be able to wthout you calling them names.

For starters, I dont recall calling anyone any names. Chill out. On another note, go back to the other Nnamdi thread and you can do your poll by reading through all the posts and pages. Im sure not everyone agrees with me that it would be exciting to see him come here but I could probably bet the majority (95% or better) of this message board will be jumping for joy and have many positive things to say about it.

Go ahead and count up the other 5% + - if need be.

Sorry if it feels like Im jumping on you but I dont mean to be. This offseason has been ridiculously slow due to the lockout and I (as well as everyone else) am looking for something worth while to talk about. Starting another discussion about NA coming here and whether or not it would be a great move didnt strike me as that. Once again, just my opinion. I try not to post opinion on here as there are many others who do that and Im sure you guys care as much about mine as I do about yours. I try to post fact and information as much as possible, this being one of the times I didnt.

Post on bro, dont let a sour apple like me stop you. You just gotta be prepared when someone like myself shares a strong opinion on something like this.

badboy
06-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Assenine is the right word considering we're staring down not even having a season. I hope the Texans aren't playing nice and are contacting free agents behind closed doors and getting deals done even though they aren't supposed to be. We all know that's not what's happening though. Aso will end up a Jet, Redskin, Cowboy etc. right at 12:01 AM the moment the lockout is lifted.So it's ok with you for Texans to cheat, get caught and maybe have to give up a first round selection in next draft and NFL void the FA deal? :bat:

TEXANRED
06-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Assenine is the right word considering we're staring down not even having a season. I hope the Texans aren't playing nice and are contacting free agents behind closed doors and getting deals done even though they aren't supposed to be. We all know that's not what's happening though. Aso will end up a Jet, Redskin, Cowboy etc. right at 12:01 AM the moment the lockout is lifted.

I would say yes to that.

I know I know I don't have a link but I know someone who was pretty close to the DRob situation and before the deadline of free agency (before he franchised the first time) he had two deals worked out, one with Atlanta and one with the Jets and both were paying him more than Chris Gamble with a lot more guarantee money. That's why DRob got so pissed off.

Teams are dealing behind closed doors all day everyday. Fat Al is another example. How do you put a $100 million dollar deal together 1 minute into free agency?

gary
06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Guys all it takes is one team to get caught so not a bright idea.

infantrycak
06-13-2011, 01:30 PM

This is one of those sentences you want to make sure you spell correctly.

Texecutioner
06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Another Nnamdi masturbation thread??

Hopefully this is the last one, because there has been nothing in the Texans history to suggest that they'll pony up the cash and the salesmanship to bring him here. It's not going to happen under the current management this organization has and this is just a waste of time as far as realistic conversation goes. Hell, even bringing Cromartie here is a long shot that has very little % chance of happening. People need to drop this idea of Nnamdi unless they're just looking for disappointment.

Trap_Star
06-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Hopefully this is the last one, because there has been nothing in the Texans history to suggest that they'll pony up the cash and the salesmanship to bring him here. It's not going to happen under the current management this organization has and this is just a waste of time as far as realistic conversation goes. Hell, even bringing Cromartie here is a long shot that has very little % chance of happening. People need to drop this idea of Nnamdi unless they're just looking for disappointment.

Hey, I'm still willing to masturbate online, even without an asomugha signing.

2slik4u
06-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Damnit....

Asinine.

badboy
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Hopefully this is the last one, because there has been nothing in the Texans history to suggest that they'll pony up the cash and the salesmanship to bring him here. It's not going to happen under the current management this organization has and this is just a waste of time as far as realistic conversation goes. Hell, even bringing Cromartie here is a long shot that has very little % chance of happening. People need to drop this idea of Nnamdi unless they're just looking for disappointment.I can't believe all those silly children believing in Santa Clause. It is just simply impossible for such a thing to happen and I can not wait until next Christmas so I can inform those who want to believe how silly they are. WHere would they be without me putting in my two cents?

gary
06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
I like laughter.

Texecutioner
06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I can't believe all those silly children believing in Santa Clause. It is just simply impossible for such a thing to happen and I can not wait until next Christmas so I can inform those who want to believe how silly they are. WHere would they be without me putting in my two cents?

Comparing a religious holiday that children get excited for like Sesame Street or the Easter Bunny to the idea of a franchise who has made it known that they're strictly a build through the draft team and has proven that through several off seasons and has an owner that has stated they won't do anything crazy as far as free agency goes, well it's not closely related at all. There has already been like 12 Aso threads where the same things are discussed and it's so highly unlikely at this stage of this franchise under what they've proven they will and won't do in the off season. The Santa Claus analogy doesn't fit here.

The sad part that everyone in here seems to be missing is that our star WR who is a quiet guy does a lot more recruiting and makes way more attempts at trying to attract other players here than our own GM and HC does who are getting paid to be effective in these areas. Andre Johnson has a better chance at getting any of these big time free agents here than the clown we have as a GM.

TEXANRED
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey, I'm still willing to masturbate online, even without an asomugha signing.

:firehair:

EllisUnit
06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Heres Me.

:bravo: then :doot: then:splits: then :jam: then :gun: from disbelief

badboy
06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Heres Me.

:bravo: then :doot: then:splits: then :jam: then :gun: from disbelief

Just leave the remote where it can be found

badboy
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Comparing a religious holiday that children get excited for like Sesame Street or the Easter Bunny to the idea of a franchise who has made it known that they're strictly a build through the draft team and has proven that through several off seasons and has an owner that has stated they won't do anything crazy as far as free agency goes, well it's not closely related at all. There has already been like 12 Aso threads where the same things are discussed and it's so highly unlikely at this stage of this franchise under what they've proven they will and won't do in the off season. The Santa Claus analogy doesn't fit here.

The sad part that everyone in here seems to be missing is that our star WR who is a quiet guy does a lot more recruiting and makes way more attempts at trying to attract other players here than our own GM and HC does who are getting paid to be effective in these areas. Andre Johnson has a better chance at getting any of these big time free agents here than the clown we have as a GM.The comparison was not Christmas to Texans franchise rather you to a grinch that wants to bust others bubble. Man, I respect your views but this thread was not about whether ASO could come here but if he did what would fans opinions be. If you do not like content of thread rather than crap on the thread just back out and move on to next thread. It is like you just have to be negative. We know you POV just like we know what it is on Yao Ming.

gary
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
BB, just know I don't mind the thread it give me hope and something to pass the time.

texansdrummer
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Rep if I could.

texansdrummer
06-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Regarding Aso.....well, I'd like to give it a try. It could only make us better. If Uncle Bob wants to throw down the cash, I'd fully support his efforts.

Texecutioner
06-14-2011, 08:36 AM
The comparison was not Christmas to Texans franchise rather you to a grinch that wants to bust others bubble. Man, I respect your views but this thread was not about whether ASO could come here but if he did what would fans opinions be. If you do not like content of thread rather than crap on the thread just back out and move on to next thread. It is like you just have to be negative. We know you POV just like we know what it is on Yao Ming.

Didn't bust any bubble. It's quite obvious that any fan would be ecstatic if the Texans signed the best CB in the league. I mean, what fan wouldn't be happy about their team signing a quality guy like that? It's a rhetorical question. I know it's the off season, but how many threads are going to exist on a guy that the Texans clearly won't pay for where the same discussion takes place over and over?

It is like you just have to be negative.

Replace negative with "realistic" and this is a true statement.

We know you POV just like we know what it is on Yao Ming.

And how did Yao Ming work out for Houston fans? Not exactly a good example for you to use in this instance considering the guy's career. Call it negative all you want, but "realistically" Yao never proved me wrong and gave fans false hopes for years and set the Rockets back many years just as I said he would. Sorry, you didn't like the lack of optimism regarding a guy who was a lemon here for years, but Houston fans that put all the hopes and dreams in that guy got a big bag of disappointment year after year. I choose not to go down that path when I see enough signs that indicate a very low probability surrounding a player or situation regarding a team.

infantrycak
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
The sad part that everyone in here seems to be missing is that our star WR who is a quiet guy does a lot more recruiting and makes way more attempts at trying to attract other players here than our own GM and HC does who are getting paid to be effective in these areas. Andre Johnson has a better chance at getting any of these big time free agents here than the clown we have as a GM.

Given that the current circumstance is AJ is allowed to talk to other players and the Texans can't this is an off-base comment.

steelbtexan
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Bottom line

Billionaire Bobby aint gonna pony up the cash for ASO.

But he will keep worshiping at the altar of the cash cow that is known as the Houston Texans.

houstonspartan
06-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Bottom line

Billionaire Bobby aint gonna pony up the cash for ASO.

But he will keep worshiping at the altar of the cash cow that is known as the Houston Texans.

No offense, but that's such a lame argument. It's old. McNair has money, and has spent it if he thinks it's necessary. If Gary Kubiak told McNair that every single player needed a million dollar diamond earring in order to win, McNair would write a check in three seconds.

McNair isn't cheap. He's just overly loyal and not very competitive in spirit. There's a difference.

The problem is, McNair looks at teams like Pittsburg and New England, and think: "Hmm. They've never spent big money on free agents. They build slowly through the draft. That's what I'm going to do."

The problem with that line of thinking is that Pittsburg and New England have VERY high standards for players and coaches. The things we tolerate here won't be tolerated there. The result is a culture of WINNING within both franchises, which makes it easier to recruit high caliber players and coaches.

The irony is, if McNair had a bit more of a mean streak in him and raised the bar for his employees, he wouldn't HAVE to spend a lot of money.

badboy
06-14-2011, 12:06 PM
No offense, but that's such a lame argument. It's old. McNair has money, and has spent it if he thinks it's necessary. If Gary Kubiak told McNair that every single player needed a million dollar diamond earring in order to win, McNair would write a check in three seconds.

McNair isn't cheap. He's just overly loyal and not very competitive in spirit. There's a difference.

The problem is, McNair looks at teams like Pittsburg and New England, and think: "Hmm. They've never spent big money on free agents. They build slowly through the draft. That's what I'm going to do."

The problem with that line of thinking is that Pittsburg and New England have VERY high standards for players and coaches. The things we tolerate here won't be tolerated there. The result is a culture of WINNING within both franchises, which makes it easier to recruit high caliber players and coaches.

The irony is, if McNair had a bit more of a mean streak in him and raised the bar for his employees, he wouldn't HAVE to spend a lot of money.I think it is more of a risk factor. Some fans will risk more than others, especially when the result has little impact on us as individuals. Reminds me a bit of politicians who say anything and then when they sit on the throne of power they make different decisions.

I would spend $74 million 5 years of Bob's money for Nnamdi but if ASO gets hurt or has a bad year or two, it is Uncle Bob who looks silly not BADBOY.

Texecutioner
06-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I think it is more of a risk factor. Some fans will risk more than others, especially when the result has little impact on us as individuals. Reminds me a bit of politicians who say anything and then when they sit on the throne of power they make different decisions.

I would spend $74 million 5 years of Bob's money for Nnamdi but if ASO gets hurt or has a bad year or two, it is Uncle Bob who looks silly not BADBOY.

Teams don't look stupid for spending high dollars on a guy who is #1 or #2 at his position in the league if he ends up getting hurt. No GM or owner has a crystal ball and can tell if someone is going to get hurt that they sign to a lot of money, so anyone who would call an owner stupid for that is well stupid themselves. And if ASO started playing poorly all of a sudden I don't see how he'd look stupid then either considering that there is nothing in Aso's history to suggest that he'll lose motivation because he gets a big contract or that he is on any downward spiral of decline. He already has been paid top dollar and has still played great and been highly motivated. On paper Aso is one of the safest big investments you could make.

Given that the current circumstance is AJ is allowed to talk to other players and the Texans can't this is an off-base comment.

I had a feeling someone would come in here and use that against what I said. The fact is that the Texans management haven't done that in any seasons under this regime hardly. You can use the "well they can't talk to anyone right now" argument all you want, but I can go back on 4 off seasons where Smithiak arrogantly just wanted to build through the draft and hardly pushed hard at all to sign other top players around the league that were available, while AJ is all over the place trying to pull guys over here. What he is doing now is something Smithiak has never been consistent at doing in order to bring in high end players to fill holes. I don't see any reason to believe that will all of a sudden change when this lockout is lifted and Smithiak is able to sign and push hard for whomever they want. Mcnair already stated "we aren't going to do anything crazy" so in his language that meant we'll keep the same status quo and do the same thing we have for years and be very conservative in free agency as opposed to being aggressive.

Ole Miss Texan
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Teams don't look stupid for spending high dollars on a guy who is #1 or #2 at his position in the league if he ends up getting hurt. No GM or owner has a crystal ball and can tell if someone is going to get hurt that they sign to a lot of money, so anyone who would call an owner stupid for that is well stupid themselves. And if ASO started playing poorly all of a sudden I don't see how he'd look stupid then either considering that there is nothing in Aso's history to suggest that he'll lose motivation because he gets a big contract or that he is on any downward spiral of decline. He already has been paid top dollar and has still played great and been highly motivated. On paper Aso is one of the safest big investments you could make.
It's usually the #1 or #2 rated player at his position (not the league) we're talking about... rarely does the best actually become available. Nobody would ever blame a team for signing an Andre Johnson or Nnamdi Asomugha type of player. It's the ridiculous contracts that get handed out to the #1 or #2 rated player at their position just because they're "the best that's out there". And that can easily haunt a franchise if that player sucks or gets injured. No crystal ball - whatever... what happened last year or two years ago is old news. Nobody cares/remembers anymore but that player is still counting against the team's salary cap and limiting their options to furthur improve the team.

In regards to Nnamdi... every single owner, GM, head coach, defensive coordinator, and fanbase would LOVE to have him on their team.

Why is it that I'm still cautiously optimistic this may happen? It's like when you buy a lottery ticket and you really REALLY have that feeling that you're actually going to win. I feel like that with Asomugha. For some weird reason my mind is playing this awful trick on my heart.

Texecutioner
06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Why is it that I'm still cautiously optimistic this may happen? It's like when you buy a lottery ticket and you really REALLY have that feeling that you're actually going to win. I feel like that with Asomugha. For some weird reason my mind is playing this awful trick on my heart.

From my observations in the past you're always very optimistic about this team so that's not a surprise. When you're still yelling out "Team Kubiak" after 5 years of failures, I'd consider you an optimist no matter the circumstance given the history. I don't know why you would be at this point as far as free agency goes though. We haven't done anything in the past under this regime to indicate that there would be a high liklihood that we would pay the kind of money that Aso will demand, nor have we gone out and pushed extremely hard for highly sought after free agents. If the Texans did make a huge push and go all out to sign Aso it would be the first.

CloakNNNdagger
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Asomugha, experienced DBs on secondary-weak Texans' radar (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820737ee/article/asomugha-experienced-dbs-on-secondaryweak-texans-radar?module=HP_headlines)

Wade Phillips hasn't been bashful about letting it be known the Houston Texans need veteran help in their secondary.

The Texans' new defensive coordinator has made the point repeatedly in public forums since his team used three picks in the first five rounds of last April's draft on defensive backs.

Whether Phillips' message has been heard by general manager Rick Smith or the rest of the Texans' hierarchy is a different story.

"From what I know and what we've talked about (internally), I think we'll be active in free agency, especially as far as the secondary (goes)," Phillips told me during a recent interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "But there may be other priorities, maybe even offensive priorities."

The Texans could use help in other areas besides the defensive backfield or any other spot on defense, for that matter. They are looking to make a serious postseason run, and Smith and coach Gary Kubiak no doubt are feeling some heat over the team's inability to finally get over the hump and into the playoffs on their watch. That pressure ultimately could push the team to look in multiple directions for new players when the lockout ends and free agency and trades begin.

Nevertheless, the Texans clearly view improving their defense as a key element to being strong contenders this season. That was why they hired Phillips last January. That was why their first five draft picks, and six of their eight choices, were defenders.

Phillips understands his job is to make the defense significantly better in a hurry. And he knows he doesn't have all of the necessary tools.

"We're really young in the secondary overall, and that's more worrisome than anything else," Phillips said. "I think we have some good talent, although I haven't had the players (at the team facility for offseason workouts) to know exactly what we have. I'm going on what the other coaches say and what we've seen on tape."

Phillips didn't mention any specific names, but the Texans are known to hope to get in on the bidding for biggest prize in free agency: Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

They might not be able to land him, but Phillips certainly is encouraging them to try and to go after other experienced defensive backs.

Follow Vic Carucci on Twitter @viccarucci.

76Texan
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Asomugha, experienced DBs on secondary-weak Texans' radar (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820737ee/article/asomugha-experienced-dbs-on-secondaryweak-texans-radar?module=HP_headlines)

Drafting 3 more seconday players as he's very concerned about the young secondary? :wadepalm:

76Texan
06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
We're really young in the secondary and that's worrisome.
So I went ahead and drafted 3 more players! :wadepalm:

Shaft75
06-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Signing Aso would be my double rainbow.

Txn_in_FL
06-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Signing Aso would be my double rainbow.

And I'd have a jersey made within days of the signing :)

Ryan
06-24-2011, 12:40 AM

Well they had to play the draft like free agency wouldn't ever happen, for obvious reasons.

Ryan
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
On NFL Live today, they did a sort of "mock draft" of what every team needs to do in Free Agency, and they said the Texans top priority was to sign Asomugha. FWIW...which is probably nothing.:wadepalm:

The Pencil Neck
06-24-2011, 03:00 AM

And let two experienced safeties go. Granted, they may be shite but at least they had some experience.

:wadepalm:

Raf
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I'd freaking flip out. Might not make it to the Super Bowl...but love the approach. Trying to win....something Bob hasn't shown in...lets just say never. My love for the team would be rejuvinated. Sure, signing Joseph would make me happy and disply mild excitement.

But with Namdi....be more like:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh1b3qyig11qabj53o1_500.gif

thunderkyss
06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
How would fans react? I don't know how to create poll but I think many would be "ho hum" and want to see how he does. Others like me would be estatic. I think others would complain at how much he costs & demand a Super Bowl.

Where do you line up?

I can't imagine anyone who claims to be a fan of this game & the Texans being ho-hum about Nmandi & Wade...

Just Wade, I can see it.

Just Nmandi.... maybe.

But both?

Then you throw in the draft, & we've got a Ti-Vecta

badboy
06-25-2011, 01:34 AM
I can't imagine anyone who claims to be a fan of this game & the Texans being ho-hum about Nmandi & Wade...

Just Wade, I can see it.

Just Nmandi.... maybe.

But both?

TK there are posters who I think would be glad to get Asomugha but would then say, "Well, it doesn't guarantee a SB so McNair has to do more."

ArlingtonTexan
06-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Just Wade, I can see it.

Just Nmandi.... maybe.

But both?

The Texans need to win (10 plus and the playoffs) for me to get excited. Phillips or not. Nmandi or not. Draft or not. Individual moves don't matter much, bottomline results do.

badboy
06-26-2011, 12:20 AM
The Texans need to win (10 plus and the playoffs) for me to get excited. Phillips or not. Nmandi or not. Draft or not. Individual moves don't matter much, bottomline results do.Well there you go and thank you for admitting it.

ArlingtonTexan
06-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Well there you go and thank you for admitting it.

Just for clarification:

Do I like the chances of the Texans chances of being good with Wade more than any of the previous DCs? Of course, he has a clear record of being able to put together good ( not great) NFL defenses.

Do I like the chances of the Texans being good with Nnamdi than with any other free agent corner back? Of course, he has been either the best or 2nd best CB in the league by all accounts for the last 5 years or so. Still how much has he helped Oakland's bottonmline as a team?

Do I like the overall draft of the Texans? Yes, but they are rookies and expecting them to be better than people who have at least proven they stay on an NFL roster is always shaky. I am hoping but that's all.

Until the Texans break their mediocore overall behavior, there is not a reason for me to expect more than some teasing at goodness and mediocore results. This dude or that move can't override multiple years of the same darn thing under Smithiak. More hopeful, yes. Actually excited, no.

houstonspartan
06-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Just for clarification:

Do I like the chances of the Texans chances of being good with Wade more than any of the previous DCs? Of course, he has a clear record of being able to put together good ( not great) NFL defenses.

Do I like the chances of the Texans being good with Nnamdi than with any other free agent corner back? Of course, he has been either the best or 2nd best CB in the league by all accounts for the last 5 years or so. Still how much has he helped Oakland's bottonmline as a team?

Do I like the overall draft of the Texans? Yes, but they are rookies and expecting them to be better than people who have at least proven they stay on an NFL roster is always shaky. I am hoping but that's all.

Until the Texans break their mediocore overall behavior, there is not a reason for me to expect more than some teasing at goodness and mediocore results. This dude or that move can't override multiple years of the same darn thing under Smithiak. More hopeful, yes. Actually excited, no.

Exactly. Totally agree.

Sung to the tune of Aretha Franklin's "Respect"....

R-E-S-U-L-T-S...

That is the big ultimate test.

thunderkyss
06-26-2011, 02:14 PM
The Texans need to win (10 plus and the playoffs) for me to get excited. Phillips or not. Nmandi or not. Draft or not. Individual moves don't matter much, bottomline results do.

I'll be watching & rooting for the Texans next season. It's what I do. However, if it weren't for the Wade Phillips acquisition, & the defense heavy draft, I'd have little reason to believe next year would be different.

So I'm already excited & if we sign Nmandi, I'll be extremely excited.

beerlover
06-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I'll be watching & rooting for the Texans next season. It's what I do. However, if it weren't for the Wade Phillips acquisition, & the defense heavy draft, I'd have little reason to believe next year would be different.

ditto :bravo:

HJam72
06-26-2011, 04:31 PM
I would move to Houston, buy season tickets for the first time, buy all the Texans gear that will fit me (which I don't normally bother to), pay for Sunday ticket, NFL TV whatever all over the place (which I don't currently do), continue to pay for NFL.com season pass, playoffs, Superbowl, etc., give all the rest of my money to Bob's church, and have a daughter who will grow up to be hot and marry Bob's son or grandson (whatever), and there's like 100 trillion Texans fans who would do the same. :smooch:

Otherwise, me and 100 trillion other fans will continue to be cheapskates. Your choice, Bobby.

Oh, and if ya get Cromartie too, I'll buy ya a beer or somethin'.

PS-some of these promises are contingent on my actually making money and actually getting laid... :kubepalm:

ArlingtonTexan
06-26-2011, 07:21 PM

I will be watching and rooting, but that does not mean I am subject to blind faith when someone has shown me who they are.

The Texans are like the chic who keeps promising ...well ya know, but when it comes time to ya know, something comes up (and not even always her fault). At some point, sweet talk and sexier night gowns are not enough. The ya know has to happen. If you keep dating this chic it has to some reason beyond the ya know since you are not getting as much satisfaction that's being implied or directly promised.

I mean if you are happy being blue over and over, there nothing really I say to change your mind, but I rather delay the excitement until the prospects of ya know are real(not just looking better), especially when I have had repeated disappointment.

thunderkyss
06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I will be watching and rooting, but that does not mean I am subject to blind faith when someone has shown me who they are.

The Texans are like the chic who keep promising ...well ya know, but when it comes time to ya know, something comes up (and not even always her fault). At some point, sweet talk and sexier night gowns are not enough. The ya know has to happen. If you keep dating this chic it has to some reason beyond the ya know since you are not getting as much satisfaction that's being implied or directly promised.

I mean if you are happy being blue over and over, there nothing really I say to change your mind, but I rather delay the excitement until the prospects of ya know are real(not just looking better), especially when I have had repeated disappointment.

Don't know if I can relate to your analogy. As the father of 3 daughters, I support & respect girls who stand behind no-sex-before-marriage principals. If it's time for you to move on to another girl..... move on to another girl.

As far as blind-faith goes, there's nothing blind about my faith in the Texans.

This is a journey. I'm excited about what we've done so far & I'll be ecstatic if they sign Nnamdi.

steelbtexan
06-26-2011, 08:02 PM
TK there are posters who I think would be glad to get Asomugha but would then say, "Well, it doesn't guarantee a SB so McNair has to do more."

Agreed

If they didn't make the playoffs after signing Aso Billionaire BoBBY would have to fire Rick and Gary?

Nah, they are GM/HC for life. Or until their contracts run out. LOL

ArlingtonTexan
06-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Don't know if I can relate to your analogy. As the father of 3 daughters, I support & respect girls who stand behind no-sex-before-marriage principals. If it's time for you to move on to another girl..... move on to another girl.

As far as blind-faith goes, there's nothing blind about my faith in the Texans.

This is a journey. I'm excited about what we've done so far & I'll be ecstatic if they sign Nnamdi.

I will leave my analogy and your comments as is, because this not a moral issue about your daughters. If that is your familys' real choices I respect that.

Part of a sports' fan journey (for me) is the loss of real faith, but still following anyway(hope). Current example is the Dallas Mavericks. They had disappointed the DFW fans so much, that as many fans if not most thought they would not get out of the 1st round against Portand. The Mavericks by actually winning in each round earned the trust of the fans by results. That's where the Texans are for me: I am following because that's what I do, but for true excitement, you have to show me.

badboy
06-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Just for clarification:

Until the Texans break their mediocore overall behavior, there is not a reason for me to expect more than some teasing at goodness and mediocore results. This dude or that move can't override multiple years of the same darn thing under Smithiak. More hopeful, yes. Actually excited, no.Well there you go and thanks for admitting it. If we sign ASO I will much more than greatly excited and that would be before down one.

badboy
06-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Exactly. Totally agree.

Sung to the tune of Aretha Franklin's "Respect"....

R-E-S-U-L-T-S...

That is the big ultimate test.
Sort of "I really like my new girlfriend but I ain't getting too excited until I know the results and she better not expect to much in bennies just because she knows she can get them elsewhere."

thunderkyss
06-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Well there you go and thanks for admitting it. If we sign ASO I will much more than greatly excited and that would be before down one.

I think I would have an Aso jersey before Aso has an Aso jersey.

badboy
06-26-2011, 09:44 PM

The Texans are like the chic who keeps promising ...well ya know, but when it comes time to ya know, something comes up (and not even always her fault). At some point, sweet talk and sexier night gowns are not enough. The ya know has to happen. If you keep dating this chic it has to some reason beyond the ya know since you are not getting as much satisfaction that's being implied or directly promised.

I mean if you are happy being blue over and over, there nothing really I say to change your mind, but I rather delay the excitement until the prospects of ya know are real(not just looking better), especially when I have had repeated disappointment.AT, side note here, do you evaluate your women on "potential"? lol

badboy
06-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I think I would have an Aso jersey before Aso has an Aso jersey."must spread rep before...." but I like it.

ArlingtonTexan
06-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Well there you go and thanks for admitting it. If we sign ASO I will much more than greatly excited and that would be before down one.

Why should I not "admit" it? It is a stronger position than placing faith in a single player making a difference. I want results no matter what Nnamdi does either in signing with the Texans or on the field. Some of you are in too much of Nnamdis or bust mode. The choice is not the Texans to sign him. He chooses us or not for whatever reason he and his family believes. And remember the Raiders have been awful with his being one of the best, its about the total product.

ArlingtonTexan
06-26-2011, 09:53 PM
AT, side note here, do you evaluate your women on "potential"? lol

Well, I have been locked into (married) to one woman for quite awhile now.

Edit: And she 'drafted" me much more on potential than I her. She was pretty much a sure thing.

steelbtexan
06-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Why should I not "admit" it? It is a stronger position than placing faith in a single player making a difference. I want results no matter what Nnamdi does either in signing with the Texans or on the field. Some of you are in too much of Nnamdis or bust mode. The choice is not the Texans to sign him. He chooses us or not for whatever reason he and his family believes. And remember the Raiders have been awful with his being one of the best, its about the total product.

Agreed

This yr Billionaire BoBBY isn't going to be able to pull this we're on the right track crap. Even novice fans such as my wife are questioning your motives and why I'm wasting time and $$$$ on an owner that winning is secondary to the bottom line.

It's win or you're going to be compared to Bottom Line Bud. So you better be on the right track.

thunderkyss
06-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Why should I not "admit" it? It is a stronger position than placing faith in a single player making a difference..

To be fair, I've never said anything about one player.

Wade Phillips

Defensive draft

Nnamdi Asomugha

badboy
06-26-2011, 10:59 PM
To be fair, I've never said anything about one player.

Wade Phillips

Defensive draft

Nnamdi Asomughaplease, please, please

GP
06-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Chris Mortensen tweet (appxtly. 11:30 pm Monday night):

@mortreport RT @Josh_Hagstrom: @mortreport I see Houston Texans in running. #wadesdefense >> I think Nnamdi/Texans would be a really good match about an hour ago

Can Bob pull that trigger? Can he tie up the money in one guy?

Or does he pass it up with the idea that Wade can make magic out of average players and/or discover talent the way Kubiak did for the offense?

drs23
06-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Can Bob pull that trigger? Can he tie up the money in one guy?Or does he pass it up with the idea that Wade can make magic out of average players and/or discover talent the way Kubiak did for the offense?

I don't see it happening. I'm not up to date on where we stand/stood in relation to cap room but all that's allegedly changing anyway. If it were to change in a way that would allow that move and resigning the current players we need to keep and get a quality safety, then sure, why not.

Señor Stan
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
@mortreport RT @Josh_Hagstrom: @mortreport I see Houston Texans in running. #wadesdefense >> I think Nnamdi/Texans would be a really good match

Or does he pass it up with the idea that Wade can make magic out of average players and/or discover talent the way Kubiak did for the offense?

Thanks Mort. It's like someone telling you it would be awesome for you to get and iPad2 for Christmas...then when you open up your present Christmas morning, it's an Etch-a-Sketch.

badboy
06-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Or does he pass it up with the idea that Wade can make magic out of average players and/or discover talent the way Kubiak did for the offense?I think everyone sees Asomugha as a good fit, but does everything else fit Nnamdi's scenaro of where he wants to play? It has beenrumored he wants $15m a year. If that is true, I say welcome aboard Mr. Asomugha.

b0ng
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I think everyone sees Asomugha as a good fit, but does everything else fit Nnamdi's scenaro of where he wants to play? It has beenrumored he wants $15m a year. If that is true, I say welcome aboard Mr. Asomugha.

I've been reading a hell of a lot more about the Eagles and Aso than the Texans fwiw.

Double Barrel
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I can't believe all those silly children believing in Santa Clause. It is just simply impossible for such a thing to happen and I can not wait until next Christmas so I can inform those who want to believe how silly they are. WHere would they be without me putting in my two cents?

Watch out, or Bob McNair could be your Grinch...

http://www.philnel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Grinch.jpeg

I'd be stoked if Aso signed with the Texans, without a doubt.

That being said, I'm certainly not going to be disappointed when it does not happen, simply because I try not to set myself up with unrealistic expectations. :winky:

badboy
06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Watch out, or Bob McNair could be your Grinch...

http://www.philnel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Grinch.jpeg

I'd be stoked if Aso signed with the Texans, without a doubt.

That being said, I'm certainly not going to be disappointed when it does not happen, simply because I try not to set myself up with unrealistic expectations. :winky:

I will be disappointed as it will be a chance to get the top position player at a arguably most needed position for only money and no players or draft picks.

Double Barrel
06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I will be disappointed as it will be a chance to get the top position player at a arguably most needed position for only money and no players or draft picks.

Well, it takes two to tango. And we have no evidence that Aso wants to be a Texan. So McNair could offer him the moon, but if Aso is just not interested in Houston, then it won't happen. My expectations are tempered by the fact that we are the Texans.

Texas T
06-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I've been reading a hell of a lot more about the Eagles and Aso than the Texans fwiw.

This just shows how things go-I live in Eagle area and I have not heard anything about this. I also work with a group of HARDCORE Eagles fans and they would have let me know if this was looking true.
They've been more concerned with McNabb showing up at "training camp".

gary
06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
This just shows how things go-I live in Eagle area and I have not heard anything about this. I also work with a group of HARDCORE Eagles fans and they would have let me know if this was looking true.
They've been more concerned with McNabb showing up at "training camp".What do you mean by this? Just an example?

AnthonyE
06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
What do you mean by this? Just an example?

I think he's just saying aso to the eagles isn't big news over there.

gary
06-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I think he's just saying aso to the eagles isn't big news over there.That's what I thought but just making sure.

Allstar
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
What do you mean by this? Just an example?

McNabb worked out with the Eagles during their team workout.

gary
06-29-2011, 04:56 PM
McNabb worked out with the Eagles during their team workout.Ya think anything?

Allstar
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Ya think anything?

Nope. Absolutely zero chance he goes back.

ArlingtonTexan
06-30-2011, 09:41 AM
They've been more concerned with McNabb showing up at "training camp".

Just to continue this rabbit trail

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/29/report-eagles-will-show-strong-interest-in-ike-taylor/

badboy
06-30-2011, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Double Barrel;1717793]Well, it takes two to tango. And we have no evidence that Aso wants to be a Texan. So McNair could offer him the moon, but if Aso is just not interested in Houston, then it won't happen. My expectations are tempered by the fact that we are the Texans.

Ah, but no evidence that he does not want to be a Texan. If the info is true about AJ recruiting him... If he was dead set against, seems he would have snickered and told AJ "Quit clowning around, fool!"

Ole Miss Texan
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Ah, but no evidence that he does not want to be a Texan. If the info is true about AJ recruiting him... If he was dead set against, seems he would have snickered and told AJ "Quit clowning around, fool!"
The more teams in the mix bidding for his services the better (for him). It wouldn't be wise for him to say that to AJ even if he's thinking it.

badboy
07-01-2011, 10:54 PM
The more teams in the mix bidding for his services the better (for him). It wouldn't be wise for him to say that to AJ even if he's thinking it.I doubt ASO saying something to AJ would effect Texans attempt to sign him

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Interesting because they talk about the Jets and Nnamdi in this article but they say

“Asomugha is interesting because the Houston Texans, probably, are going to make him the biggest offer,” Mortensen said......But I’ve got a feeling that Asomugha will go to the team that offers him the most money
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/will-nnamdi-be-a-jet-because-he-wants-to-be-an-actor/
Those are snippits but they are interesting ones.

Mike

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Interesting because they talk about the Jets and Nnambi in this article but they say

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/will-nnamdi-be-a-jet-because-he-wants-to-be-an-actor/
Those are snippits but they are interesting ones.

Mike

NnamDi. :)

We'll see if we make him the biggest offer and if he takes it. He can choose almost any team he wants.

Malloy
07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Nnnnnbambi? I is confuzzed :)

Doppelganger
Cmon Rick get it done!

Texanmike02
Dyslexia can you fix that for me mods? Thanks

Mike

DonnyMost
07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~david.m.carroll/mymovies/office_space_bobs_thumb.jpg

"Nna... Num... Neh... Notgonnaworkherethat'sfordamnsure."

redwhiteANDblue
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
If this gets done I can't imagine what im going to do. Just imagine guys. Peyton will never be able to throw to reggie wayne again! :hurrah:

El Tejano
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
If this gets done I can't imagine what im going to do. Just imagine guys. Peyton will never be able to throw to reggie wayne again! :hurrah:

But Dallas Clark is always ready.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 10:46 AM

I do not want them to outbid everyone for Nnambi! No way. We should avoid these sweepstakes and get a CB for half the money, that is 2 or 3 years younger, and not already preparing for his life after football!

BetaV1
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
I do not want them to outbid everyone for Nnambi! No way. We should avoid these sweepstakes and get a CB for half the money, that is 2 or 3 years younger, and not already preparing for his life after football!

As much as I would like Aso, I agree that no player is worth "breaking the bank" for unless he's a proven pro-bowl quarterback in his prime...And other than a once-in-a-decade chance, how often does that happen?

Most of these unbelievably expensive free agents usually fall well short of their pay more often than not.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Ordinarily I would agree with you. I think in this case Nnamdi is a must sign. This is one case that a free agent is worth what he gets. To this defense (especially with Phillips defense) the abilty to shut down half the field is incredible. He changes the entire game with one signing and he does it for 3-5 years.

Mike

b0ng
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM

What CB is going to even be near his level that only wants half? I'm genuinely curious on this.

redwhiteANDblue
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree we should not spend all our money on Nnamdi like I said in a different thread and get other players but I mean if we get Nnamdi then how can you be dissapointed? Its pretty much like getting another Andre but for the defense

Stemp
07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
The Texans need to win THIS YEAR.They need to make the moves that makes them competitive NOW. We're all tired of waiting for "next year" and the best WR in the NFL isn't getting any younger. The time is now!

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
What CB is going to even be near his level that only wants half? I'm genuinely curious on this.

This free agent market is flooded, particularly at the CB position. I'm not sure which players will be the best bargains, only that the principles of supply and demand will ensure that some will be. We have never seen a market this loaded with young talent in the salary cap era. Here are some names for you:

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

and that list excludes the 30 and 31 year old FAs that will also be in market:

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

I'm not saying that all those guys are great players. But, some are/will be very good and smart teams will have the opportunity to assess which ones will have the best value as the NFL moves through this truncated free agent process.

beerlover
07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
The Texans need to win THIS YEAR.They need to make the moves that makes them competitive NOW. We're all tired of waiting for "next year" and the best WR in the NFL isn't getting any younger. The time is now!

agree w/stemp. we owe this to Andre Johnson too as well as the fans :fans:

houstonspartan
07-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Yes, how DARE we actually make a bold move to become competitive!

We know you're fine with 6-10 and giving Gary and Rick a lifetime contract. Some of us, however, want a little bit more.

Allstar
Phillip Buchanan

http://lolpics.se/pics/25810.jpg

FirstTexansFan
I'm sorry, but anything but the signing of Aso won't cut it for me, and no amount of reasoning will pacify me. I don't want a second tier player, it's time for this front office to step up and deliver.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree we should not spend all our money on Nnamdi like I said in a different thread and get other players but I mean if we get Nnamdi then how can you be dissapointed? Its pretty much like getting another Andre but for the defense

There's a difference. Offensively, the Texans can scheme in a way that ensures Andre will be involved in the game and have an opportunity to make a lot of plays.

An opposing team, on a passing down, will often have 5 eligible receivers running routes. Nnambi will only be covering one of those five. Good offenses can scheme and work an offense in a way that minimizes the impact Nnambi will make. After all, consider how bad the Raiders defense has been the past four years while Nnambi has been, dominant, healthy, and in his prime.

Hervoyel
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM

You are so lost sometimes. He's not old, he's not going to break the bank, and how many times have we gone out and signed a cornerback who was half the price of someone like Aso? How's that worked out so far?

I don't understand the reluctance to go out and get the best possible solution to one of our biggest problems over the last decade. A great player is on the market at a position we need and we have the chance to get him for money. Not picks, not players, just money. What is wrong with Texans fans that they can't imagine a reality where the team pays big money for the closest thing to a free agent sure thing in memory? Someone is going to sign him and that team will still be able to field a roster of players at least as good as ours I promise you. That team will have money to sign rookie contracts and they'll be able to pick up street free agents during the season to fill holes. He'll be expensive but he isn't going to render your team incapable of operating.

In 3-4 years his contract will look like a bargain compared to what the top free agent CB costs (whoever that may be).

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
As much as I would like Aso, I agree that no player is worth "breaking the bank" for unless he's a proven pro-bowl quarterback in his prime...And other than a once-in-a-decade chance, how often does that happen?

Most of these unbelievably expensive free agents usually fall well short of their pay more often than not.

So a QB is worth breaking the bank for but the ability to take half the field away from that same QB is not worth it?

What if your secondary is absolutely terrible and you could go from the 30th secondary in the league to instantly an average secondary? This is the one player that you can probably add 3-5 wins to your total instantly. Seriously. Without any other changes to our defense last year, add Nnamdi and you are talking about a team that wins 9-11 games.

Mike

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:08 AM
This free agent market is flooded, particularly at the CB position. I'm not sure which players will be the best bargains, only that the principles of supply and demand will ensure that some will be. We have never seen a market this loaded with young talent in the salary cap era. Here are some names for you:

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

I'm not saying that all those guys are great players. But, some are/will be very good and smart teams will have the opportunity to assess which ones will have the best value as the NFL moves through this truncated free agent process.

You tell me which of those guys are going to be anywhere near Nnamdi in talent, and will only want half. None of the guys on either of those lists qualify that I can see.

Hervoyel

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

Don't you ever get sick of watching the Texans sift through the bargain bin looking for "the best bargain" and trying to show the world how smart they are? After ten years of this haven't you figured out that the Texans aren't exactly good at this (Arian Foster's presence on the team notwithstanding)

dalemurphy
Yes, how DARE we actually make a bold move to become competitive!

We know you're fine with 6-10 and giving Gary and Rick a lifetime contract. Some of us, however, want a little bit more.

I would like to see our finite resources used most efficiently. I have no problem with fans believing that paying for Nnambi is the best utilization of those resources. I happen to disagree. What I find intellectually insulting and immature, is the idea that the ONLY way the Texans can show they are serious about improving the team and winning this off-season is to sign Nnambi. That is such a silly straw man that it seems pointless to even discuss football with people that think that way.

Big Lou
But Dallas Clark is always ready.

Mario will cover him, hehehehehe.

Big Lou
07-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

I realize this was a FA list, but I would have left him off the list on general principle......

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Don't you ever get sick of watching the Texans sift through the bargain bin looking for "the best bargain" and trying to show the world how smart they are? After ten years of this haven't you figured out that the Texans aren't exactly good at this (Arian Foster's presence on the team notwithstanding)

Don't you understand the uniqueness of this free agent market? This is the best free agent market, by far, in over a decade. There are a dozen CBs in free agency that would improve most NFL secondaries, certainly ours. Furthermore, beyond the CB market, there are many good to great NFL players just entering into their prime that could be major assets to our football team.

In free agency, last year's 2nd best CB was Leigh Bodden. This year the 10th best FA CB is clearly better than Bodden and will likely be signed for less money than Bodden was last year.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Johnathan Joseph: A clear number 2 and very good player. He will likel;y head back to Cincy though.
Brent Grimes: pretty good player, but not on the level of Aso
Antonio Cromartie: overrated.
Brandon Carr: solid, but unspectacular
Josh Wilson: more upside than Carr but not on the level of JJ or Aso
Chris Carr: pass
Richard Marshall: eh, is he really better than Allen?
Kelly Jennings: See Marshall
Chris Houston: see Marshall
Eric Wright: overated.
Fabian Washington: VERY overated

Drayton Florence: bad for our system
Carlos Rogers: see Marshall
Ike Taylor: bad for our system
Phillip Buchanan: NO THANKS

Strongly disagree. There are maybe 3 CBs who would be definitive upgrades. The rest are basically on the same level as Jason Allen and the others don't fit our scheme.

BetaV1
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
So a QB is worth breaking the bank for but the ability to take half the field away from that same QB is not worth it?

What if your secondary is absolutely terrible and you could go from the 30th secondary in the league to instantly an average secondary? This is the one player that you can probably add 3-5 wins to your total instantly. Seriously. Without any other changes to our defense last year, add Nnamdi and you are talking about a team that wins 9-11 games.

Mike

There's a reason why your secondary is absolutely terrible, and it ain't because you didn't have Aso in the backfield. You would swear from some of the reactions here that this guy is the sole reason why Oakland has been to the playoffs for the past eight years straight.

:kitten:

I'm not going to deny Aso's ability, but I've always been worried about buying into the hype of any player, especially at defensive back which is arguably the hardest position in football. Does he really shut down the field as well as people thinks he does? He's great, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason why nobody throws on the Raiders, and it's more to do with the fact that their run defense, in the words of Bart Scott, "can't stop a nosebleed."

A legitimate question for the Aso must-signers out there: How much do you think he's worth a year? And don't give me that "he's worth whatever it takes the win" bullplop. Man up and produce a number.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Richard Marshall is actually not a bad CB at all, it's just that the Panthers were terrible last year so people have a low opinion of him. But there is no way he is only asking for half. The only way we are getting a player who wants half of what Nnamdi wants is if we sign somebody that isn't in the same galaxy as him in terms of talent.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Strongly disagree. There are maybe 3 CBs who would be definitive upgrades. The rest are basically on the same level as Jason Allen and the others don't fit our scheme.

a few things:

1. The CBs that "don't fit our scheme" still flood the market and drive down the price of the ones that "do fit".

2. Clearly, you have a high opinion of Jason Allen. However, you do realize that teams often have 3 or 4 CBs on the field at the same time? So, even if these guys are on his level, why wouldn't we want them as well?

3. Who cares if they are "over-rated"? If they are solid players that make the team better and the market determines that they can be signed for a discounted rate, I'm hardly concerned whether they are as good as ESPN analysts believe they are.

c10x
07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
There's a difference. Offensively, the Texans can scheme in a way that ensures Andre will be involved in the game and have an opportunity to make a lot of plays.

An opposing team, on a passing down, will often have 5 eligible receivers running routes. Nnambi will only be covering one of those five. Good offenses can scheme and work an offense in a way that minimizes the impact Nnambi will make. After all, consider how bad the Raiders defense has been the past four years while Nnambi has been, dominant, healthy, and in his prime.

Actually the raider defense has been pretty damn awesome. Especially the secondary. The problem has been their front 7's ability to stop the run. Aso is worth every $$ they threw at him. I'm not saying we get him, but I fully support making a legit run at him.

False Start
07-26-2011, 11:35 AM
BUT! McClain says there is pretty much no way in hell we sign Nnamdi...so there is a chance. :fingergun:

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
a few things:

1. The CBs that "don't fit our scheme" still flood the market and drive down the price of the ones that "do fit".

I doubt that the price is going to get driven down just because there are a lot of CB's on the market this year. Especially not driven down enough where we are getting a Richard Marshall (insert name of wanted CB here) for less than 5 or 6 million a year.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
a few things:

2. Clearly, you have a high opinion of Jason Allen. However, you do realize that teams often have 3 or 4 CBs on the field at the same time? So, even if these guys are on his level, why wouldn't we want them as well?

3. Who cares if they are "over-rated"? If they are solid players that make the team better and the market determines that they can be signed for a discounted rate, I'm hardly concerned whether they are as good as ESPN analysts believe they are.

1. CBs that don't fit the scheme are not ones we can actually use. So, while there may be 11 FA CBs , maybe only 6 are usable.

2. The CBs were pretty bad last year, but the main issue is that if you get a Aso or a Joseph, you cut off half the field. Now, the Safteys can cheat and help the other CB, help each other, and patrol the middle of the field. With Allen type players, they are not good enough to solo, so you need to keep a safety nearby, which opens up additional passing areas. One elite CB can significantly upgrade your D.

3. If they are overrated and basically on the level of Allen, why bring them in? Jackson was horrible, but got dramatically better as the season wore on. Allen was Allen. We have Brandon Harris as well. If the players we bring in are on the level of Allen, we may as well stick with our Allen and Jackson. At least Jackson has potentially more upside than some of the names you mentioned.

infantrycak
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I doubt that the price is going to get driven down just because there are a lot of CB's on the market this year. Especially not driven down enough where we are getting a Richard Marshall (insert name of wanted CB here) for less than 5 or 6 million a year.

What makes you think we can get Nnamdi for $10-12 mil? He just walked away from $17 mil after making $15 mil for two years. $8-10 mil should get a quality CB with $5-7 mil getting a quality safety. Fact is none of us knows what Nnamdi wants, whether he knows he will need to take a pay cut or whether he expects a pay raise. In my book $17 mil is too much even for the best CB in the league.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
What makes you think we can get Nnamdi for $10-12 mil? He just walked away from $17 mil after making $15 mil for two years. $8-10 mil should get a quality CB with $5-7 mil getting a quality safety.

Didn't Revis signed a 4-year $46m dollar deal with an $18m bonus somewhere? While Nnamdi did walk away from a $17m contract, it was also walking away from being a Raider which it looks like he's wanted to do for the last 2 or 3 years.

Hervoyel
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Don't you understand the uniqueness of this free agent market? This is the best free agent market, by far, in over a decade. There are a dozen CBs in free agency that would improve most NFL secondaries, certainly ours. Furthermore, beyond the CB market, there are many good to great NFL players just entering into their prime that could be major assets to our football team.

In free agency, last year's 2nd best CB was Leigh Bodden. This year the 10th best FA CB is clearly better than Bodden and will likely be signed for less money than Bodden was last year.

Sure I understand it. I also understand that you have a wildly optimistic view of this group of free agent CB's. This is in keeping with your traditionally overly optimistic outlook on things like this. The 10th best CB this year isn't better than Bodden (it's embarrassing for you to even suggest it) and will be signed for less money because he's worth less money. Don't let reality get in the way of a good tale though. Trot out your list of better values and be happy with that if you like. I can't agree with you though.

Many good to great players will be available. That means of course that the Texans will have an almost unobstructed shot at getting as many ordinary-to-good players as they want! Doesn't the thought just make your skin tingle all over!

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Actually the raider defense has been pretty damn awesome. Especially the secondary. The problem has been their front 7's ability to stop the run. Aso is worth every $$ they threw at him. I'm not saying we get him, but I fully support making a legit run at him.

That's clearly not true. Which, is my point. At some point, the money given to Asomugha would be too costly. It could mean Mario is not re-signed. It could mean that the team is not able to sign Abrayo Franklin and Eric Weddle. It could mean the team lets Foster walk in two years. This romanticism of a single free agent at the expense of all logic and reason baffles me.

How did the Haynesworth deal work out? How many of you were begging the Texans to spend money on him?

How about the 8 year 80 million given to Nate Clements... good player but that hasn't worked out too well for SF.

Even with the Patriots got into the elite FA market, it didn't go so well: Adalius Thomas flamed out after the Pats gave him $50 million over 7 years.

This is the NFL, not the NBA. One player doesn't make the difference (other than QB) between winners and losers. Almost all of the great FA signings the past 10 years have been bargain-hunting signings.

Charles Woodson- teams had soured on him after a few mediocre years in Oakland and GB got him at a discount.

Drew Brees- had a bad shoulder and the Saints got him at a discount

Mike Vick- Eagles got him at a major discount after his jail time.

I'm really struggling to think of any elite FA bidding war where the team that ended up with the player got value from him. Anyone? Surely, there is one or two examples but I honestly can't think of any.

ThaShark316
07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
This better not happen...

because if it does, I'll be getting neg rep for years...I'll probably get banned from cussing everyone who said it wouldn't happen out.

infantrycak
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Didn't Revis signed a 4-year $46m dollar deal with an $18m bonus somewhere? While Nnamdi did walk away from a $17m contract, it was also walking away from being a Raider which it looks like he's wanted to do for the last 2 or 3 years.

I am not predicting Nnamdi will not take a Revis type deal. It is just an unknown. This is going to be his last contract most likely. Is he willing to take a pay cut to just over Revis money at about $12 mil per year for a longer term or will he want a pay raise and take a shorter contract? We just don't know.

And while AJ is a really nice guy and might be happy pulling in almost $10 mil per year if Nnamdi was making $12 I kind of doubt he would like being the best WR in the NFL and getting just over half if signing Nnamdi required $18 mil.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
That's clearly not true. Which, is my point. At some point, the money given to Asomugha would be too costly. It could mean Mario is not re-signed. It could mean that the team is not able to sign Abrayo Franklin and Eric Weddle. It could mean the team lets Foster walk in two years. This romanticism of a single free agent at the expense of all logic and reason baffles me.

How did the Haynesworth deal work out? How many of you were begging the Texans to spend money on him?

How about the 8 year 80 million given to Nate Clements... good player but that hasn't worked out too well for SF.

Even with the Patriots got into the elite FA market, it didn't go so well: Adalius Thomas flamed out after the Pats gave him $50 million over 7 years.

This is the NFL, not the NBA. One player doesn't make the difference (other than QB) between winners and losers. Almost all of the great FA signings the past 10 years have been bargain-hunting signings.

Charles Woodson- teams had soured on him after a few mediocre years in Oakland and GB got him at a discount.

I'm really struggling to think of any elite FA bidding war where the team that ended up with the player got value from him. Anyone? Surely, there is one or two examples but I honestly can't think of any.

How did Peppers work out for Chicago? What about Samuel to the Eagles? Antonio Smith has been pretty good here (not on the same level as the previous two but it does hit close to home).

Not every big FA signing is a huge failure you goon and you know this dale.

C'mon man.

Blake
07-26-2011, 11:52 AM
If we are going to spend FA money on a CB it needs to be Aso. The other FA CB's arent half as good, and will cost more than half as much.

badboy
07-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I do not want them to outbid everyone for Nnambi! No way. We should avoid these sweepstakes and get a CB for half the money, that is 2 or 3 years younger, and not already preparing for his life after football!and 2/3 his ability and health history. No thanks.

Marcus
07-26-2011, 11:53 AM
What makes you think we can get Nnamdi for $10-12 mil? He just walked away from $17 mil after making $15 mil for two years. $8-10 mil should get a quality CB with $5-7 mil getting a quality safety. Fact is none of us knows what Nnamdi wants, whether he knows he will need to take a pay cut or whether he expects a pay raise. In my book $17 mil is too much even for the best CB in the league.

Exactly!

All these people that say "we absolutely must sign NambDi" will be the very first ones out of the block that will say we overpaid him if we did.

I hope they do sign him. I want to hear the uproar from everyone when they hear what it would take to do it.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I am not predicting Nnamdi will not take a Revis type deal. It is just an unknown. This is going to be his last contract most likely. Is he willing to take a pay cut to just over Revis money at about $12 mil per year for a longer term or will he want a pay raise and take a shorter contract? We just don't know.

You are correct we do not know. However we do know that teams love to use other contracts that players of a similar caliber and position during negotiations, so the Revis contract, I do know, will be brought up at least once to Nnamdi during any negotiations he has with probably any team.

Jackie Chiles
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
How did Peppers work out for Chicago? What about Samuel to the Eagles? Antonio Smith has been pretty good here (not on the same level as the previous two but it does hit close to home).

C'mon man.

Peppers is a much better example of what a Nnamdi signing would bring than Haynesworth, no doubt about it.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Sure I understand it. I also understand that you have a wildly optimistic view of this group of free agent CB's. This is in keeping with your traditionally overly optimistic outlook on things like this. The 10th best CB this year isn't better than Bodden (it's embarrassing for you to even suggest it) and will be signed for less money because he's worth less money. Don't let reality get in the way of a good tale though. Trot out your list of better values and be happy with that if you like. I can't agree with you though.

Many good to great players will be available. That means of course that the Texans will have an almost unobstructed shot at getting as many ordinary-to-good players as they want! Doesn't the thought just make your skin tingle all over!

What CBs on this list are worse than Bodden?:
Asomugha
Joseph
Grimes
Brandon Carr
Ike Taylor
Carlos Rogers
Antonio Cromartie
Eric Wright
Kelly Jennings
Josh Wilson
Richard Marshall
Chris Carr
Drayton Florence
Chris Houston....

If you can eliminate 5 from this list, then that would put Bodden at #10... I'm not here to disparage Bodden... but, there are definitely 10 from this list that I'd prefer. And, I doubt I'm alone.

Regarding my "optimism". I was not optimistic about last year's FA list of CBs. I thought it was a lousy list last year. I thought last year's FA group, in general, was pathetic and I said so. It's quite a leap to suggest that because I entered the last few Texans' seasons with hope and optimism, that means that I will overrate the NFL free agent list of CBs... Doesn't make sense! If anything, seeing the Texans with rose-colored glasses would give me a more cynical view of non-Texan players. How does my "negative opinion" on signing Nnambi mesh with my unreasonable optimism? There are multiple reports that the Texans are going to sign him (we wrote two stories in February predicting this) and I am absolutely opposed to it.

Hervoyel
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Exactly!

All these people that say "we absolutely must sign NambDi" will be the very first ones out of the block that will say we overpaid him if we did.

I hope they do sign him. I want to hear the uproar from everyone when they hear what it would take to do it.

I'd just like to point out that he walked away from the Raiders $17 million. We honestly don't know if the Raiders could have kept him at any price. His value is high of course but until he starts fielding offers from other teams nobody can say for certain what he's going to cost. He might sign with the Packers, Patriots, or Steelers for significantly less than what the Raiders offered. He may cost that or more if the team in question is the Texans. What does he even think of the Texans? Does he see them as a team that's on the rise? Does he say all the right things and laugh inside when someone asks him about Houston?

DexmanC
07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Nnnnnbambi? I is confuzzed :)

Nnnnnbambi pambi

Allstar
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd just like to point out that he walked away from the Raiders $17 million. We honestly don't know if the Raiders could have kept him at any price. His value is high of course but until he starts fielding offers from other teams nobody can say for certain what he's going to cost. He might sign with the Packers, Patriots, or Steelers for significantly less than what the Raiders offered. He may cost that or more if the team in question is the Texans. What does he even think of the Texans? Does he see them as a team that's on the rise? Does he say all the right things and laugh inside when someone asks him about Houston?

He didn't walk away from anything. The clause in his contract went in effect automatically when he didn't reach the incentive.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 12:05 PM

C'mon man.

Samuel's deal was pretty big, but not a monster deal. I would love for the Texans to spend a similar amount on a CB this year.

Antonio Smith's deal included only about $10 million guaranteed. Deals like the one the Texans gave Antonio are exactly the kind of deals I want the Texans to make.

The Peppers deal is a fair example- It seems a little early to judge the deal. He certainly played well last season and they did reach the playoffs... so, I think that's your best example right now.

BetaV1
07-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Exactly!

Cak and Dale are spot on in this topic. If you ask me whether I want Aso, or Eric Weddle and one of the other corners out there, I'll take the latter in a heart beat. This defense has far too many holes in the backfield to assume that one player is going to turn us into Peyton Manning's worst nightmare. Dale also nailed it rock solid with his post on page two about how outbidding the entire NFL for a single player can really set your franchise back if they fail to live up to their pay, which is more often the case than not.

I, too, agree with Cak and draw the line around the $17 million range. At some point, any sensible person says "this is too much money."

GP
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM

C'mon man.

Reggie White, as well, did pretty good when he went to the Packers.

At that time, everybody thought he was crazy for leaving the Eagles and going to the Packers. Whoops.

As has been pointed out, this is probably the last contract for Aso. So why not be the one who gives it to him. Get at least 4 years out of the guy. He has virtually ZERO tread on the tires--He's not a DL or a LB who has had punishment dished out onto him. He's basically ran down the field and watched the plays happen 30 yards or more away from him.

I think Aso becomes a member of the Ravens, though. Which, IMO, makes the Ravens the best AFC team immediately. That defense would be elite overnight. It was already pretty stout. This would make them superior.

El Tejano
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Reggie White is a quick one that comes to mind.

Hervoyel
07-26-2011, 12:10 PM
He didn't walk away from anything. The clause in his contract went in effect automatically when he didn't reach the incentive.

Granted. He was set to make a certain amount, clause triggered, contract void. Is that about right?

I think that illustrates the point even further though. Nobody can say exactly what he's going to cost right now. Does he want stupid-money right now, competitive situation for excellent money, or excellent money and long-term security? Does he want to play on a team with someone in particular? Does he want to play in a certain city?

It's all up in the air until we see some offers.

hobie
07-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Cak and Dale are spot on in this topic. If you ask me whether I want Aso, or Eric Weddle and one of the other corners out there, I'll take the latter in a heart beat. This defense has far too many holes in the backfield to assume that one player is going to turn us into Peyton Manning's worst nightmare. Dale also nailed it rock solid with his post on page two about how outbidding the entire NFL for a single player can really set your franchise back if they fail to live up to their pay, which is more often the case than not.

I, too, agree with Cak and draw the line around the $17 million range. At some point, any sensible person says "this is too much money."

Well since the lockout was mainly about money and how teams just don't make enough of it...ehh... who cares... it's only our money they are playing with !!

:fingergun:

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Reggie White, as well, did pretty good when he went to the Packers.

Reggie White, Charles Haley, Deion Sanders, etc... are irrelevant in this discussion, because that era was before the salary cap and at the beginning of its implementation when the rules were easily manipulated.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Samuel's deal was pretty big, but not a monster deal. I would love for the Texans to spend a similar amount on a CB this year.

Antonio Smith's deal included only about $10 million guaranteed. Deals like the one the Texans gave Antonio are exactly the kind of deals I want the Texans to make.

The Peppers deal is a fair example- It seems a little early to judge the deal. He certainly played well last season and they did reach the playoffs... so, I think that's your best example right now.

Samuel's deal fits perfectly fine in to the realm of top FA available for that particular year, which was like 3 years ago now. If you want to spend that kind of money for that contract length, more than likely you are looking way down into the Richard Marshall's, Brandon Carr and players like that.

It's fine if you want the Texans to sign players like that, but I think most people around here and in Houston would rather the Texans actually take a risk in free agency more than once every 3 years.

And it's not like Nnamdi is some Dunta Robinson type player who just happens to be the best available this year but really isn't that good. He is generally considered to be one of the 2 best corners in the game (like Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are to WR's right now) as of me typing this. Even if he doesn't work out, it's not like he's Haynesworth who was only good when he was angling for a new contract, he's been doing it without much help around him for awhile now.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Well since the lockout was mainly about money and how teams just don't make enough of it...ehh... who cares... it's only our money they are playing with !!

:fingergun:

Salary Cap! Particularly now, with the new CBA rules... whatever money given to Nnambi is money that can't go to other FAs.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Salary Cap! Particularly now, with the new CBA rules... whatever money given to Nnambi is money that can't go to other FAs.

The big FA's we sign every year?

thunderkyss
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Johnathan Joseph
Brent Grimes
Antonio Cromartie
Brandon Carr
Josh Wilson
Chris Carr
Richard Marshall
Kelly Jennings
Chris Houston
Eric Wright
Fabian Washington

Drayton Florence
Carlos Rogers
Ike Taylor
Phillip Buchanan

I heard a guy on the radio yesterday refer to Cromartie as the 3rd best cover corner in the league today.

Does anyone agree with that?

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Samuel's deal fits perfectly fine in to the realm of top FA available for that particular year, which was like 3 years ago now. If you want to spend that kind of money for that contract length, more than likely you are looking way down into the Richard Marshall's, Brandon Carr and players like that.

It's fine if you want the Texans to sign players like that, but I think most people around here and in Houston would rather the Texans actually take a risk in free agency more than once every 3 years.

And it's not like Nnamdi is some Dunta Robinson type player who just happens to be the best available this year but really isn't that good. He is generally considered to be one of the 2 best corners in the game (like Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are to WR's right now) as of me typing this. Even if he doesn't work out, it's not like he's Haynesworth who was only good when he was angling for a new contract, he's been doing it without much help around him for awhile now.

I understanding wanting Nnambi. If the Texans signed him, part of me would be very excited. I just love this free agent market and think we could allocate the resources better. Other than trying to make that point, what I'm arguing about is the idea that some posters have that the Texans not signing Nnambi = Texans don't care/want to win. I will gladly acknowledge that signing Nnambi could work out really well for the Texans. It's odd to me that some can't acknowledge that there are other things the Texans could do in this market that could lead to success as well. There are over 500 FAs, many of them are very good and also young... Of course there are other signings the Texans could do that would be both prudent and a genuine effort to build a championship team.

Mainly, the one thing they can't do, is not participate in this free agency. They need to upgrade that secondary with quality veterans. If they are inactive, I'll be the first to criticize them. And, by active, I don't mean signing a couple "C" level free agents for 3 yrs. and $5 million.

SteveSlaton20
07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Johnathan Joseph-Would love to get him if we can't get Aso.
Brent Grimes-Is gonna resign w/ the Falcons
Antonio Cromartie-Dude sucks.
Brandon Carr-He's good but at best he's a #2 CB.
Josh Wilson-Maybe for our #2 CB, but Kareem Jackson isn't or will he ever be the #1 CB, so no.
Chris Carr-He's still w/ the Ravens
Richard Marshall-too small to be #1 CB right now. Not sure how good he really is.
Kelly Jennings-only 2 career interceptions, dude been playing for four years by now, no thanks. Unless he's a shutdown CB, but no thanks.
Chris Houston-lol, are you kidding me???
Eric Wright-eh, settle for him and we wont be making the playoffs any time soon.
Fabian Washington-Dude sucks

how about we just go after Aso?

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Aso is in discussion for the best CB in the league. He has been consistent for years and still has several good years of football available. Those kind of players rarely hit the market. Usually its a one year wonder or an average player who is talked up more than his ability suggests.

When an Aso becomes a FA you MUST put your best offer forward.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Dale, I don't disagree with what you're saying in this thread. I think it would be smart to get a two or three very good/quality players that are immediate starters. See Johnathan Joseph + Eric Weddle + whoever... Although you may get more bang for your buck and I think that would be a smart way to go, I think it's harder to accomplish. I think Joseph re-signs with Cincy, Weddle will be hard to get... I think we'll be stuck with Richard Marshal and Gerald Sensabaugh. ugh!

I also agree with your statement about an opposing offense "avoiding Nnamdi" thus taking him out of the play. That's why big boys in the trenches matter so much, they're a part of every single play. With that said, what Nnamdi does is allows our Safeties to focus on other parts of the field and the 4 other Receivers. That will help a ton.

I'll be interested in how Stanford Routt plays these next three years without Nnamdi across the field from him. Raiders just handed him a 3 year $31.5MM contract.

I think the stars are aligned for us to get Nnamdi. He's the exact kind of player that McNair covets. He's an All Pro, best at his position, Great work ethic, smart, literate, quality person, does a TON for the community, and can provide excellent veteran leadership that is desperately needed in our secondary. We've got the capital to sign him. Andre and him are great friends, we just got one of the most respected DC's in the league. I think McNair is going to go after him... it's just a matter of Nnamdi realizing that with him here, Houston is the frontrunner to win our division.

I normally would be against spending this kind of $'s on a 30+ year old player but I think he fits perfectly for what we want and what we need on this team. Additionally, he played sparingly his first 2 seasons and didn't become a full time starter until his 3rd year, 2005. So he's got only 1 year of full time starting experience than Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans and Eric Winston. He's in his prime (not past it) and the Texans are in "WIN NOW" mode over the course of this next seasons and the following 2-3,4 years... that will be the length of his contract.

Come on Nnamdi, just sign on the dotted line. PLEASE

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 12:22 PM
The big FA's we sign every year?

The FA market, largely due to the CBA being opted out of, has been horrible the past couple years. This is the market that makes up for those last couple awful ones... So, the Texans had better be active!

BetaV1
07-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Just a quick point I want to make about Aso's health record, since it seems to be brought up quite frequently: All because a player has never had a major injury before does not mean they are immortal. It's football. Things happen. People are going to go crazy if we pay a guy $20 million a year and he breaks a finger or something this year and isn't quite the same, or tweaks his ankle next year and misses some games.

Granted, I wouldn't let the fear of injuries stop me from signing somebody. But if you spend this kind of money on one player and something does happen, you're screwed. End of story.

CretorFrigg
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd be extremely excited if we signed Nnamdi, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Texans targeted and signed two quality CBs such as Joseph and Grimes. That would immediately bolster our secondary, hopefully giving us more salary cap room so that we can sign a safety whom we can play the first game.

If I remember correctly, we haven't really addressed our safety issues yet, and I can't find any info on us signing an UDFA safety.

BetaV1
07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
When an Aso becomes a FA you MUST put your best offer forward.

Sure. What kind of money in your mind would it take to ensure that your offer is the best offer?

infantrycak
07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
When an Aso becomes a FA you MUST put your best [for the team] offer forward.

Fixed it for you.

People can disagree on specific numbers but at the end of the day everyone should agree there is a cut-off price on what to pay for one player.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Mainly, the one thing they can't do, is not participate in this free agency.

Nobody should disagree with this point, even if we all disagree with each other on what they should do, they should avoid being the people who have to sign their back up to the back up to the back up plan for FA.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Fixed it for you.

People can disagree on specific numbers but at the end of the day everyone should agree there is a cut-off price on what to pay for one player.

I agree. I am not saying we should hand him a blank check. We need to figure out the most we can pay him and then make him that offer. I say he is better than going for a lower quality CB and safty combo.

If we don't get him, we don't get him, but at least shoot for the stars once in a while.

dalemurphy
Nobody should disagree with this point, even if we all disagree with each other on what they should do, they should avoid being the people who have to sign their back up to the back up to the back up plan for FA.

I have defended the organization for not spending money the past two seasons in FA because the market has been so poor... However, this one is great. If they don't spend this year, I'm going to be leading the anti-McNair and Kubiak crowd. True story.

TheMatrix31
A Nnamdi Asomugha signing can not only put us in the playoffs or further, but it is flat out the signing of the franchise. You make a franchise with the signing of a Nnamdi Asomugha. You're saying "I know what we need, and I'm getting the best available no matter what."

Signing him is more than just on-the-field change.

Brandon420tx
07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
I'd be extremely excited if we signed Nnamdi, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Texans targeted and signed two quality CBs such as Joseph and Grimes. That would immediately bolster our secondary, hopefully giving us more salary cap room so that we can sign a safety whom we can play the first game.

The Texans won't sign 2 FA corners this season unless one of those is Jason Allen. They have too many young corners they want to keep and develope. They can only justify keeping 6 on the roster, and likely 4 of those spots will be taken by KJack, Harris, Carmichael, and McMannis, That leaves us our 1 big FA and either McCain or Allen, hopefully they bring back Allen.

Joseph + Weddle + Midtier CB has a much lower chance of happening than Aso + (Gholdson or Sensebaugh). Even (Joseph or Grimes or Marshall + Weddle) has less chance of happening. As much as I like Weddle, I see him coming here less likely than Nnamdi. There is just too much open market for him and he has zero ties here which is usually our main sticking point for landing FAs.

Edit: I'm wrong you can justify having 7 on the roster, but at max only 6 will be active on gameday. 7 is pushing it though and leaves you weaker somewhere else on the roster

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 12:42 PM
We have to hope that Kolb gets dealt for Rodgers-Cromartie. It would really help our chase for Nnamdi, since the Eagles would be much more reluctant (or out of the race entirely?) to make an offer on him.

Marcus
07-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Just a quick point I want to make about Aso's health record, since it seems to be brought up quite frequently: All because a player has never had a major injury before does not mean they are immortal. It's football. Things happen. People are going to go crazy if we pay a guy $20 million a year and he breaks a finger or something this year and isn't quite the same, or tweaks his ankle next year and misses some games.

Granted, I wouldn't let the fear of injuries stop me from signing somebody. But if you spend this kind of money on one player and something does happen, you're screwed. End of story.

And he's 30 years old and not getting any younger. After 30, that's when the nicks and the "nagging injuries" start to happen. He's on the downside of his career, and with his last big contract, there's no incentive for him to give 100%.

It doesn't really matter anyway. He'll need to have his head examined if he chooses the Texans :lol: over a playoff caliber team that has decent chance of going to the Super Bowl. Like Herv said, he'll say all the right things to the Texans, but laugh himself silly under his breath.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Anyone think that by signing Nnamdi we're not just immediately improving our team and chances to win but changing the way players around the league view us? We look at our roster now and can point to all these players that are ranked near the top of their positions. But there's this stigma about Houston. I think other players this year, next year, etc. would raise their eyebrows and say "damn, Houston is serious." I think it would only raise the interest level of players. But more than that, winning is the biggest thing that will get this franchise respected across the league.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
And he's 30 years old and not getting any younger. After 30, that's when the nicks and the "nagging injuries" start to happen. He's on the downside of his career, and with his last big contract, there's no incentive for him to give 100%.

It doesn't really matter anyway. He'll need to have his head examined if he chooses the Texans :lol: over a playoff caliber team that has decent chance of going to the Super Bowl. Like Herv said, he'll say all the right things to the Texans, but laugh himself silly under his breath.

Why would he want to come to a team with fans that have this mentality?

You DO know that Nnamdi Asomugha would be the difference-mak-----ah who cares.

Rey
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM

How is shutting Off a portion of a teams offense a bad thing?

ChampionTexan
07-26-2011, 12:49 PM
The Texans won't sign 2 FA corners this season unless one of those is Jason Allen.

Jason Allen's not a FA - he's under contract for 2011.

LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3670/jason-allen)

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Chris Mortensen
On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if they land him.

Seems purely subjective, but I hope he's right.

AnthonyE
07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Something I quickly photoshopped before work.

http://mirrorimg.net/im1/cib.png

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Would be better without the text, lol.

Brandon420tx
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Good a contract year and no reason to hold onto McCain

djohn2oo8
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if they land him.
6 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/MORTREPORT

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 01:06 PM

I don't want to hear about what we will or should do. I want to hear about what we have done.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't want to hear about what we will or should do. I want to hear about what we have done.

Well you're gonna have to wait then, because right now everything is swirling around and nothing is really concrete for anyone.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 01:10 PM

If he is here Houston suddenly joins a short list of teams that has a real shot at going deep into the playoffs.

Think about this. If you shore up half of our problems in the secondary with a lockdown corner.. where do you place us as far as over all teams in the league? Probably a top 5 team. With our offense we are no longer a "threat to come back on you" we are a "threat to put our foot on your throat mid way through the second quarter".

Mike

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Well you're gonna have to wait then, because right now everything is swirling around and nothing is really concrete for anyone.

I'm not worried about FA rumors at this point. We've been hearing this since the end of the season.

I'm just concerned about the UDFAs right now.

CretorFrigg
07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
If he is here Houston suddenly joins a short list of teams that has a real shot at going deep into the playoffs.

Think about this. If you shore up half of our problems in the secondary with a lockdown corner.. where do you place us as far as over all teams in the league? Probably a top 5 team. With our offense we are no longer a "threat to come back on you" we are a "threat to put our foot on your throat mid way through the second quarter".

Mike

As I mentioned earlier, signing Nnamdi would tremendously upgrade our defense, but he's just one CB. What about our safeties? Heck, who ARE our safeties?

I'm all for opening up the checkbook for Nnamdi, given that it's not my money, but there is a limit on how much you can pay one player. Afterall, this is a team game. We need cap room to sign some safeties like Darren Sharper, maybe?

srrono
07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
mortreport: On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if they land him. [via Twitter]

texanhead08
07-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I would rather take the same money and sign a CB and a Safety. That's assuming Quinn is going to be one safety.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
I would rather take the same money and sign a CB and a Safety. That's assuming Quinn is going to be one safety.

How about Asomugha AND one of the top safeties?

gafftop
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I know I started " Would you trade Mario if we could get Nnambi" thread but as i stated later in that post I don't think using 15-20% of your cap on any player is a smart thing to do, especially for the Texans who have so many needs. I think we are hamstrung with Mario"s cap number now. Look at the great teams New England, Green Bay they don't pay big money to players. Football is definitely a TEAM game and you need quality players not just a couple of superstars. The Texans problem is they don't evaluate talent well and then they don't utilize what talent they do have. The front office and coaching for the Texan's has basically ****** from the beginning.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 01:21 PM
It's really, really hard to hit on two top free agents. Easier to make the one huge splash than multiple good splashes.

Texan_Bill
07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Chris Mortenson just tweeted:

RT @mortreport: On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if land him.

hookinreds
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that free agent Nnamdi Asomugha may be willing to "take a little less money" to sign with a playoff contender.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

HTown2ATX
07-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Something I quickly photoshopped before work.

http://mirrorimg.net/im1/cib.png

Dude, I called a customer at work and right when he answered this popped up as the page loaded and I had to stfile a laugh big time....oh man...almost got bad lmao.

:lol:

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
As I mentioned earlier, signing Nnamdi would tremendously upgrade our defense, but he's just one CB. What about our safeties? Heck, who ARE our safeties?

I'm all for opening up the checkbook for Nnamdi, given that it's not my money, but there is a limit on how much you can pay one player. Afterall, this is a team game. We need cap room to sign some safeties like Darren Sharper, maybe?

I think with Quinn at S you are looking at two major signings to dramatically improve your defense. Adding Nnamdi alone doesn't give you a top ten defense but it probably puts you in the top half of the league. Lets remember if you can basically take the number 1 guy on the other team everyone looks better.

S: Quinn
S: Weddle
CB: Nnamdi
CB: Allen

S: Quinn
S: Nolan/Keo
CB: Nnamdi
CB: Allen

Sure, the first one looks better. But lets remember, its not just that you add Nnamdi, you slide every one of your CBs down one on the depth chart. Allen is a very servicable #2 but a terrible #1 CB. Jackson's speed liability is covered up if he slides into the nickel. Additionally do your safety's look as bad last year if they are supporting Nnambi on the #1 receiver and Allen on the #2? Suddenly your safeties are providing more support to the #2 AND available to help out on the TE.

Nnamdi doesn't just come in and change one position. He slides everyone down on the depth chart to a position they SHOULD be playing. He changes the way your back 4 operates. Yes Joseph/Cromartie do too, but you can't put them on an island. Nnamdi IS a gamechanger, the kind of game changer we have never had on the defensive side of the ball. Mario and Cushing (rookie) included.

Mike

El Tejano
07-26-2011, 01:34 PM

So then you have to ask, is Namdi and Glover better than Eric Weddle and Joseph?

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
So then you have to ask, is Namdi and Glover better than Eric Weddle and Joseph?

No, it'd be is Nnamdi and Glover better than Eric Weddle, Joseph and Glover. Quin is here no matter what, don't know why you worded it like that.

thunderkyss
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
that's a Super Bowl contender if they land him.

& I thought I was drinking Koolaide.

I want what he's having.

thunderkyss
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
With our offense we are no longer a "threat to come back on you" we are a "threat to put our foot on your throat mid way through the second quarter".

Mike

Well..... actually no.

We have yet to put our foot on anyone's throat since GK has been here. & we've had plenty of opportunities.

But that is one of the things I was hoping he would bring from Denver. Those guys were ruthless.

badboy
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Thing we know about Aso; if he remained with Oakland his salary this season $17m. He or his agent Condon has allegedly said he wants $45m up front. While any player can be hurt any play, all are evaluated on history; Nnamdi's is good. In a five year contract, he would enter his fifth year having turned 35 that July.

We can offer 5 year $80m with $25m bonus (just over DRs deal with Falcons) which divided over contract is $5m year. $80m- $25= $55m divided over 5 years. The salary can be paid anyway the Texans and Nnamdi agree. So $25m upfront + $15m (first year)= $40m guaranteed first year and a $20m cap hit [$15 + $5)(where Mario's cap is allegedly). Structure second and third years @ $7m + $5m (bonus) for $12m cap hit each year. This leaves $26m last two years paid as agreed on. Of course each of us including Smith can move numbers to fit Texans need. Usually, a contract is back loaded as player of ASO age would be cut last year or two with only dead money left. ASO should earn all 5 years.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Not sure about SB contender exactly, but signing Nnamdi will put us at in the playoffs and I'd say we'd be prime for a solid-deep playoff showing.

badboy
07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I know I started " Would you trade Mario if we could get Nnambi" thread but as i stated lated in that post I don't think using 15-20% of your cap on any player is a smart thing to do, especially for the Texans who have so many needs. I think we are hamstrung with Mario"s cap number now. Look at the great teams New England, Green Bay they don't pay big money to players. Football is definitely a TEAM game and you need quality players not just a couple of superstars. The Texans problem is they don't evaluate talent well and then they don't utilize what talent they do have. The front office and coaching for the Texan's has basically ****** from the beginning.Or you ask you players like AJ, Schaub, Demeco and Mario to re-structure their existing contracts to lower their cap hits as the Raiders have done for years. Mario is only one I feel may not re-structure but to move Texans to a top 5 possible SB contender?

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Not sure about SB contender exactly, but signing Nnamdi will put us at in the playoffs and I'd say we'd be prime for a solid-deep playoff showing.

I think we'd win the division and have a great chance to play with any team in the playoffs. In that sense, I do think we would be a Super Bowl contender. With that said, I think the biggest thing hurting us would be our lack of experience in playoff games or big games period.

Honest question here: How many of our starters have played in a single playoff game? I think Antonio Smith is the only one. That's what would hurt us when we're playing the Steelers or Patriots come crunch time.

Señor Stan
07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that free agent Nnamdi Asomugha may be willing to "take a little less money" to sign with a playoff contender.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Sweet! This would give us more room to sign some other play....errr...oh...yeah....that last part.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I think we'd win the division and have a great chance to play with any team in the playoffs. In that sense, I do think we would be a Super Bowl contender. With that said, I think the biggest thing hurting us would be our lack of experience in playoff games or big games period.

Honest question here: How many of our starters have played in a single playoff game? I think Antonio Smith is the only one. That's what would hurt us when we're playing the Steelers or Patriots come crunch time.

I think Kevin Walter might have...

Rey
07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I think bentley went to the superbowl

Allstar
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Not a starter.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
as i stated lated in that post I don't think using 15-20% of your cap on any player is a smart thing to do.
I think I read somewhere that Peyton Manning and Dwight Freeney comprise about 33% of the Colts cap. But then again, that's freaking Manning and Freeney. LOL

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I think Kevin Walter might have...

Good one! Bengals lost in the Wild Card game to the Steelers.

Kevin Bentley: Not a starter but worth 1/2 a point!

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Ehh, that could matter.....or maybe not. Not sure. I feel like all that stuff is circumstantial.

Corrosion
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Chris Mortenson just tweeted:

RT @mortreport: On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if land him.

How many times I gotta tell ya before you believe it ?!

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
How many times I gotta tell ya before you believe it ?!

I hope Mort is right that the Texans go hard and get Aso.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 03:40 PM
How is shutting Off a portion of a teams offense a bad thing?

How is comprehension a bad thing? Really! Where did I argue that Nnambi isn't a good CB and that his play would not make the team better. I am speaking about the allocation of resources. My point is that I believe there are more effective ways to spend our limited resources... Of course his presence would help the secondary play and of course shutting down a WR is helpful for a defense.

Rey
07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
How is comprehension a bad thing? Really! Where did I argue that Nnambi isn't a good CB and that his play would not make the team better. I am speaking about the allocation of resources. My point is that I believe there are more effective ways to spend our limited resources... Of course his presence would help the secondary play and of course shutting down a WR is helpful for a defense.

No. You were talking about how teams would scheme against him. That in itself is bogus, because qb's would still go after him. Not as much as the second or third corner but he would get his fair share of throws at him.

Also, even if he has completely shut down a receiver how is that not beneficial to the team as a whole?

Why allocate resources that way when you have a player that is interested in you that would elevate the play of the entire defense?

You would rather bank on getting two or three solid players rather than getting one franchise guy?

When your plan backfires and one or two of the guys you are targeting goes elsewhere then what? Just pick from the leftovers.

That makes no sense to me. You have the top rated player at his position, and it's a position we sorely need and you want to pass him over for Eric weddle and tier 3 corner?

If the money is not outrageous you stretch your pockets a bit and go for the stars. And you know the corny saying. . If you miss then you Langdon the moon.

Allocating resources is just code for being good in a few places while not being great at any. We have a lot of good on this team. It'd be nice to have some greatness.

Texecutioner
07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
No. You were talking about how teams would scheme against him. That in itself is bogus, because qb's would still go after him. Not as much as the second or third corner but he would get his fair share of throws at him.

Also, even if he has completely shut down a receiver how is that not beneficial to the team as a whole?

Why allocate resources that way when you have a player that is interested in you that would elevate the play of the entire defense?

You would rather bank on getting two or three solid players rather than getting one franchise guy?

When your plan backfires and one or two of the guys you are targeting goes elsewhere then what? Just pick from the leftovers.

That makes no sense to me. You have the top rated player at his position, and it's a position we sorely need and you want to pass him over for Eric weddle and tier 3 corner?

If the money is not outrageous you stretch your pockets a bit and go for the stars. And you know the corny saying. . If you miss then you Langdon the moon.

Allocating resources is just code for being good in a few places while not being great at any. We have a lot of good on this team. It'd be nice to have some greatness.

This was one hell of a post.

And as far as just picking over the leftovers, well that is what the Texans have done pretty much every season in free agency since their existence.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Not even going to hope, worry, or whatever until Friday... til then, everything is just speculation.. much like the lockout.. until its done, nothing means much.

badboy
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM

When your plan backfires and one or two of the guys you are targeting goes elsewhere then what? Just pick from the leftovers. That makes no sense to me. You have the top rated player at his position, and it's a position we sorely need and you want to pass him over for Eric weddle and tier 3 corner?

Allocating resources is just code for being good in a few places while not being great at any. We have a lot of good on this team. It'd be nice to have some greatness.This is what some are forgetting in comparing 2-3 players to Aso. You have no guarantee we could sign all of the others in any comparison. If you get Nnamdi, he is in the bag, if you sign Weddle for example, we still have to sign another CB.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
It's funny that now all of a sudden with the lockout over.. all this Nnamdi talk going on.. I don't recall reading much of it the last few months, but the "talk" that he is high on the Texans list and that "he" might come here has sure seemed to get ya'lls panties wet...

Continue on !!!

Allstar
07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
It's funny that now all of a sudden with the lockout over.. all this Nnambi talk going on.. I don't recall reading much of it the last few months, but the "talk" that he is high on the Texans list and that "he" might come here has sure seemed to get ya'lls panties wet...

Continue on !!!

You haven't been paying attention...

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 04:42 PM
wait....why is everyone calling him 'Nnambi?'

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Exactly.

It's been discussed at length on here. Afterall, we've had nothing else to do!

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:44 PM

Much like the lockout... as stated.. until it's done, nothing matters.. !

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
wait....why is everyone calling him 'Nnambi?'

Typo in the thread title.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Exactly.

It's been discussed at length on here. Afterall, we've had nothing else to do!

And there ya have it ladies and gentlemen, it has been for months... and yet, with the new "news"... it's taken on a new life of it's own.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Typo in the thread title.

Heh I see. Looking back in the thread Lol at that bambi pic.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM
And there ya have it ladies and gentlemen, it has been for months... and yet, with the new "news"... it's taken on a new life of it's own.

So why even bother posting, dude? We'll wake you up on Friday if you want.

hobie
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
So why even bother posting, dude? We'll wake you up on Friday if you want.

Why, I get a kick out of grown men talking what if's, or this and that's.. I do thank you all though for the good reading..As for the wake up call.. I'm good, but thanks for the offer...
I can't wait to read what is in store come Friday !!!!

SheTexan
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
The TEXANS can offer him the best deal, AJ can BEG him to come, and the fans can salivate until they drown, BUT, you can't make the man sign on the dotted line!!

To some of you guys who think the game of football will come to an end for the Texans IF we don't sign him, what ya gonna do then?? Blame Daddy Bob for being cheap? Hang RS up by his balls? Invent new cuss words to use against the Texans franchise? IMHO the man will sign with WHO he really wants to play for, and it just might not be us! If it was all about the money he would stay with the Raiders. :includeme:

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
mortreport: On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all; that's a Super Bowl contender if they land him. [via Twitter]

I would put more credence into this if Scheftfer was reporting it. I lost a lot of repspect for Mort with the garbage he kept tweeting during the lockout.