PDA

View Full Version : The Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:26 PM
They can't be in on everybody, lol. Such nonsense.Sure they can. Throw a bunch of sh*t against the wall and see what sticks. The Jets have a good team, a lot of success the last few years and Revis. They can call the shots and see if they can get Aso at a discount. How much do you think a championship ring is to Aso? Only 1 team a year gets one.
EDIT: What if the Jets can scare everyone else into thinking they have the inside track and everyone else starts signing the 2nd tier guys (as seems to be happening) to avoid missing the boat all together? This is Texas Hold 'Em. Does Smithiak have the balls not to blink?

Brisco_County
07-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Jags showing "significant" interest in Chris Carr, but so are the Jets and Ravens.
Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times reports the Jacksonville Jaguars are showing 'significant' interest in cornerback Chris Carr, per a league source. The Jets and Ravens are in the mix, too.
Link (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/18458/Jaguars-showing--significant--interest-in-Chris-Carr/Default.aspx)

The Ravens just lost Josh Wilson to the Redskins, so they'll be value shopping to fill the hole. Link (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/18448/Redskins-nab-CB-Josh-Wilson-from-Ravens/Default.aspx)

Also, more signs that Dallas is out of the Asomugha sweepstakes.
There had been speculation that the Cowboys might make a play for Nnamdi Asomugha, the top free agent on the market and arguably the league's top cornerback. But executive vice president Stephen Jones answered "yes" when asked if he liked his cornerbacks according to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Link (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/18456/Cowboys-won-t-get-involved-in-Asomugha-sweepstakes/Default.aspx)

gary
07-27-2011, 09:32 PM
This board won't be sleeping tonight.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Keep backtracking, Mac:

Source?

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:37 PM
They are putting together a pretty stout D in SF. With a Stout D and a run heavy Offense they could grind out and wear down some teams in the NFC. They could be the Ravens of the West Coast.

The Niners could stand to lose Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin, David Baas, Nate Clements and Dashon Goldson. And that's even if they don't sign Aso. Who knows how much green they would still have if they got Nnamdi.

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Sure they can. Throw a bunch of sh*t against the wall and see what sticks. The Jets have a good team, a lot of success the last few years and Revis. They can call the shots and see if they can get Aso at a discount. How much do you think a championship ring is to Aso? Only 1 team a year gets one.

The Jets are possibly the most over-hyped team in the league. The Texans are better than them at every aspect of the game except the secondary. Yeah I said it.

They got stupid lucky to make the playoffs the last few years.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:41 PM
The Jets are possibly the most over-hyped team in the league. The Texans are better than them at every aspect of the game except the secondary. Yeah I said it.

They got stupid lucky to make the playoffs the last few years.Really?? Got anything to back that up? They've been to the AFC Championship game the last 2 seasons and we've done jack diddley squat but ***** and moan. In the final analysis, only 2 stats matter: wins and losses. Everything else is to make the losers feel better about themselves.

fiasco west

Agreed. We aren't that far off from the Jets. If Wade does what he does a lot of teams will NOT want to play the Texans.

Many people seem to forget just how stacked our offense is. The only reason they lost as many games they did because of our safety play being almost non existent when it came to coverage and our CBs playing 15 yards off of WRs PLUS getting burnt deep on a constant basis.

Craig.
I think he used the sarcasm font.

Right?

GP
07-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Out of town, using TapaTalk tonight on iPhone.

I think Houston has always been the frontrunner, but his agent is trying to let the Jets clear enough room to match Houston...this is why there's no "report" right now. Agent milking as much as he can.

And IF the Jets match, McNair will find a way to up the price. Which puts Jets out of the race. Even more money for both Aso and his agent.

And THAT is the dirty little secret Peter King is referencing when he says "everybody inside the NFL knows Aso to Houston. Worst kept secret in NFL."

Didn't Wilson sign w/ Skins? That likely takes them out of Aso sweepstakes (gonna need a QB too).

Updated rumors said Eagles out as well.

Ike Taylor re-signed w/ Pitt.

Ravens "could" be in it. Cowboys "could" be in it. I think Jets are possibly not even no. 1 nor no. 2 if Modell or Jerry make a run at it.

But the Texans, IMO, are gonna' open the vault. Hopefully.

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 09:42 PM
The Niners could stand to lose Takeo Spikes, Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin, David Baas, Nate Clements and Dashon Goldson. And that's even if they don't sign Aso. Who knows how much green they would still have if they got Nnamdi.

Could you imagine if we got that guy too?

Seriously though, when it comes to Asomuagh, if there is anyone who knows what he can do it is Gary Kubiak. He's pretty much faced him every year he's been in the league and Aso does a very decent job of shutting down AJ.

Nawzer
07-27-2011, 09:43 PM

I agree with you. I think they are definitely a better defensive unit and Sanchez can make clutch plays. But over the last couple of years they have had lady luck on their side multiple times. Their playoff game against the Steelers made Rex Ryan look stupid at times. But this is the nature of the beast when it comes to anything NY and the media attention they get.

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Really?? Got anything to back that up? They've been to the AFC Championship game the last 2 seasons and we've done jack diddley squat but ***** and moan. In the final analysis, only 2 stats matter: wins and losses. Everything else is to make the losers feel better about themselves.

Watching the Jets win games is like watching the special ED kid finish first place in the science fair. It's dumbfounding and unexplainable.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM

I think Houston has always been the frontrunner, but his agent is trying to let the Jets clear enough room to match Houston...this is why there's no "report" right now. Agent milking as much as he can.

And IF the Jets match, McNair will find a way to up the price. Which puts Jets out of the race. Even more money for both Aso and his agent.

And THAT is the dirty little secret Peter King is referencing when he says "everybody inside the NFL knows Aso to Houston. Worst kept secret in NFL."

Didn't Wilson sign w/ Skins? That likely takes them out of Aso sweepstakes (gonna need a QB too).

Updated rumors said Eagles out as well.

Ike Taylor re-signed w/ Pitt.

Ravens "could" be in it. Cowboys "could" be in it. I think Jets are possibly not even no. 1 nor no. 2 if Modell or Jerry make a run at it.

But the Texans, IMO, are gonna' open the vault. Hopefully.

When did Peter King say this?

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Agreed. We aren't that far off from the Jets. If Wade does what he does a lot of teams will NOT want to play the Texans.

Many people seem to forget just how stacked our offense is. The only reason they lost as many games they did because of our safety play being almost non existent when it came to coverage and our CBs playing 15 yards off of WRs PLUS getting burnt deep on a constant basis.If we were that stacked on offense, we would've gone 12-4 in '09 and at least 10-6 in '10. We lost a lot of games because we couldn't score in the last few minutes. We have a very good offense, but we ain't no Colts, Saints or Chargers.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM

That was Mike Francesca that said that. Peter King just said that The Texans are gonna go hard for Nnamdi.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
More reports that the Jets are looking elsewhere, or at least have a backup plan:

espn_afcsouth
Jaguars showing 'significant' interest n Chris Carr, per a league source. Jets, Ravens in the mix, too.

Rey
07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
True

But the Jets who are over the cap have figured out how to be a player in the Aso. game and reupped Holmes.

The Texans who are under are doing?

Exactly my point.

If the jets can find a way to het him from a money stand point the texans should at least be able to match or beat it.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Exactly my point.

If the jets can find a way to het him from a money stand point the texans should at least be able to match or beat it.I haven't heard any mention at all that the Texans are low balling Aso. I;ve heard the exact opposite. Everyone expects the Texans to make Aso the highest offer, but will he accept it?

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Looks like the Johnathan Joseph decision is going overtime. Not going to happen tonite. Stay tuned

Rey
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I haven't heard any mention at all that the Texans are low balling Aso. I;ve heard the exact opposite. Everyone expects the Texans to make Aso the highest offer, but will he accept it?

Just for clarification I wasn't saying that the jets were lowballing him.

My post is in response to those still saying that we can't afford him.

Rey
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Looks like the Johnathan Joseph decision is going overtime. Not going to happen tonite. Stay tuned

There sure know how to hook em.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Nnamdi "@Zepp1978: @NFLDraftInsider More likely: Jonathan Joseph or Nnamdi to the Texans?"

- nfldraftinsider

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
This is Orlando Pace all over again. I get tired of the Texans being someone else's set up guy.

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
If we were that stacked on offense, we would've gone 12-4 in '09 and at least 10-6 in '10. We lost a lot of games because we couldn't score in the last few minutes. We have a very good offense, but we ain't no Colts, Saints or Chargers.

We lost a lot of games because our offense couldn't save us for every single game.

The Texans are the perfect example. Their Offense is top 5 in the NFL...and their defense is among the worst.

There were times the past two seasons where Matt and Dre were super clutch and helped pull out the W...but asking that from them for pretty much every game because the defense fails to get stops is asking a lot. They will never go 10-6 or anything similar with such a bad defense, because it evens out.

Colts defense makes big plays in clutch moments...ours give them up. Quinn on the hail mary...Jets driving bout 70 yards down the field with 30 seconds left...the Eagles game...

Saints defense gets timely turnovers also

And the Chargers defense is just good.

Point is the defense making big plays makes it much easier for the offense to impose their will. How many times do the Texans put together a great drive only to have the other team just come right back down to score?

Any ways. I just don't see the Texans that far away from being contenders. Especially if Wade is the D.Coordinator he should be.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
The holdup on Joseph is the wait for Nnamdi to set the market price. Everyone is in on all top cbs.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Just for clarification I wasn't saying that the jets were lowballing him.

My post is in response to those still saying that we can't afford him.
I understood that. I was referencing the fact that it may not be about money. It may be about post season opportunities.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Alright I'm following a thread on Football's Future and a lot of them are saying that they heard that Nnamdi is down to NYJ, SF and HOU. Joseph is down to DET, CIN and HOU.

DocBar
We lost a lot of games because our offense couldn't save us for every single game.

The Texans are the perfect example. Their Offense is top 5 in the NFL...and their defense is among the worst.

There were times the past two seasons where Matt and Dre were super clutch and helped pull out the W...but asking that from them for pretty much every game because the defense fails to get stops is asking a lot. They will never go 10-6 or anything similar with such a bad defense, because it evens out.

Colts defense makes big plays in clutch moments...ours give them up. Quinn on the hail mary...Jets driving bout 70 yards down the field with 30 seconds left...the Eagles game...

Point is the defense making big plays makes it much easier for the offense to impose their will. How many times do the Texans put together a great drive only to have the other team just come right back down to score?

Any ways. I just don't see the Texans that far away from being contenders. Especially if Wade is the D.Coordinator he should be.Those are good points. Maybe we can agree that good teams find ways to win. The Texans aren't a good team yet.

Nawzer
Nnamdi "@Zepp1978: @NFLDraftInsider More likely: Jonathan Joseph or Nnamdi to the Texans?"

- nfldraftinsider

I'm sorry, but I'm not really up on my twitter lingo. Who's tweeting who in this message?

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
This is Orlando Pace all over again. I get tired of the Texans being someone else's set up guy.

You have absolutely no idea if this is the case or not.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not really up on my twitter lingo. Who's tweeting who in this message?

Zep tweeted NFL Draft Insider to ask which is more likely. They replied "Nnamdi".

TheMatrix31

Some dude is asking NFLDraftInsider who's more likely for us, and NFLDraftInsider says Nnamdi.

I know, Twitter is an ugly thing. So disorganized. Aesthetically horrible.

DocBar
Some dude is asking NFLDraftInsider who's more likely for us, and NFLDraftInsider says Nnamdi.

I know, Twitter is an ugly thing. So disorganized. Aesthetically horrible.To hell with aesthetics. Sign the mofo.

Rey
07-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I understood that. I was referencing the fact that it may not be about money. It may be about post season opportunities.

It's probably a mixture of both. Money and a good chance to win.

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Any ways. I just don't see the Texans that far away from being contenders. Especially if Wade is the D.Coordinator he should be.

Whenever someone talks about the Jets this is the image that goes through my head:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/TEXANRED/carlossingle.jpg

Carr Bombed
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
If we were that stacked on offense, we would've gone 12-4 in '09 and at least 10-6 in '10. We lost a lot of games because we couldn't score in the last few minutes. We have a very good offense, but we ain't no Colts, Saints or Chargers.

Most of the Texans' offensive problems came in the first half of football games, but at the end of the day they still put up the points to win games and I highly doubt the Colts, Saints, or the Chargers would've fared any better record wise if they fielded the 2nd worst defense in NFL history. Hell the Chargers' STs alone all but derailed their season.

The Texans offense was inconsistent as far as 4 quarters of football goes, but they were still potent at the end of the day and they didn't prevent the Texans' ability to make the playoffs or win games. It's amazing how much more "consistent" a offense can become when the defense throws them a short field or holds a team to < 23 points every now and then or how consistent a offense can become if the STs actually does anything remotely "special". The STs and defense put so much pressure on our offense to perform that it was basically "Be perfect or lose" Long story short.... 2/3rds of the Texans' units didn't do the offense any favors and the fastest way to fix the hiccups within the offense is to improve the other 2 units around it. A half ass decent defense and solid ST play would do that offense a WORLD of favors.

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
You have absolutely no idea if this is the case or not.

You are correct. But it just feels like I have been here before.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
It's probably a mixture of both. Money and a good chance to win.I would say that's a good bet.

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
When did Peter King say this?Yes, and where?

djohn2oo8
07-27-2011, 10:07 PM
They playin with emotions yo

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 10:07 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
don't count the 49ers out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM

Whoever NFLDraftInsider is telling Zepp that we have a better chance of getting Aso than JoJo.

Nawzer
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM

I know, Twitter is an ugly thing. So disorganized. Aesthetically horrible.

Ahh...thanks for clearing that up Matrix, Ckw, and Bong.

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 10:10 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
don't count the 49ers out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes.
That wouldn't make any sense. They are far from a playoff team.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Most of the Texans' offensive problems came in the first half of football, but at the end of the day they still put up the points to win games and I highly doubt the Colts, Saints, or the Chargers would've fared any better record wise if they fielded the 2nd worst defense in NFL history. Hell the Chargers' STs alone all but derailed their season.

The Texans offense was inconsistent as far as 4 quarters of football goes, but they were still potent at the end of the day and they didn't prevent the Texans' ability to make the playoffs or win games. It's amazing how much more "consistent" a offense can become when the defense throws them a short field or holds a team to < 23 points every now and then or how consistent a offense can become if the STs actually does anything remotely "special". The STs and defense put so much pressure on our offense to perform that it was basically "Be perfect or lose" Long story short.... 2/3rds of the Texans' units didn't do the offense any favors and the fastest way to fix the hiccups within the offense is to improve the other 2 units around it. A half ass decent defense and solid ST play would do that offense a WORLD of favors.True enough statements. It still stands as fact that the Colts and Saints went to the SB with horribly ranked D's. I think the Colts were 30th or 31st when they won the SB. I could very well be wrong. The Chargers have been deep into the playoffs with less tha average D play. My main point is that while we have a potent offense, it's not potent enough to overcome defensive problems like we've had. Besides, I don;t much care what other teams have done. I've seen our O lose almost as many games for us as our D has given away. From Rosencopter to 4 downs at the Cards 1 yd line.

Trap_Star
07-27-2011, 10:12 PM
That wouldn't make any sense. They are far from a playoff team.

their division is ****, so it's up for grabs. they're definitely not SB contenders, but playoff team? maybe.

Ckw
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
True enough statements. It still stands as fact that the Colts and Saints went to the SB with horribly ranked D's. I think the Colts were 30th or 31st when they won the SB. I could very well be wrong. The Chargers have been deep into the playoffs with less tha average D play. My main point is that while we have a potent offense, it's not potent enough to overcome defensive problems like we've had. Besides, I don;t much care what other teams have done. I've seen our O lose almost as many games for us as our D has given away. From Rosencopter to 4 downs at the Cards 1 yd line.

30th or 31st in yards but those teams you mentioned always seemed to get turnovers, while the Texans have always been piss poor at both.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
two reasons the 49ers have chance for Nnamdi. One, he loves the Bay area. Second, he'd help the new stadium push

Seems like a weak argument, has nothing to do with the team...

Rey
07-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Most of the Texans' offensive problems came in the first half of football, but at the end of the day they still put up the points to win games and I highly doubt the Colts, Saints, or the Chargers would've fared any better record wise if they fielded the 2nd worst defense in NFL history. Hell the Chargers' STs alone all but derailed their season.

The Texans offense was inconsistent as far as 4 quarters of football goes, but they were still potent at the end of the day and they didn't prevent the Texans' ability to make the playoffs or win games. It's amazing how much more "consistent" a offense can become when the defense throws them a short field or holds a team to < 23 points every now and then or how consistent a offense can become if the STs actually does anything remotely "special". The STs and defense put so much pressure on our offense to perform that it was basically "Be perfect or lose" Long story short.... 2/3rds of the Texans' units didn't do the offense any favors and the fastest way to fix the hiccups within the offense is to improve the other 2 units around it. A half ass decent defense and solid ST play would do that offense a WORLD of favors.

In order to make comebacks the defense had to have played well at some point.

Offense can erase a first half or errors, defense cannot.

The texans if one of the other units played a bit better throughout the game then they would help the whole team out.

If defense steps up it makes it easier on the offense. The opposite is also true.

When teams get up big it's just human nature to lay off a bit. It's also human nature for the team that's down to loosen up and just play.

The defense and the offense were prone to extremely slow starts. Both units need to Improve if we are going to be superbowl contenders.

This team is a good defense away from makin the playoffs. We are a scary offense that consistently is a threat to score away from being superbowl contenders.

Both units need to step it up a bit. Defense moreso than offense.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Those are good points. Maybe we can agree that good teams find ways to win. The Texans aren't a good team yet.

What's sad is that I felt that we were finally one of those teams after the Reskins game last year :kubepalm:

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 10:18 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
two reasons the 49ers have chance for Nnamdi. One, he loves the Bay area. Second, he'd help the new stadium push

Don't understand why'd he go to the 9ers. If he's using any team for leverage it has to be them.

I mean they are almost the splitting image of the Raiders.

-Average to good Defense
-Crappy QB
-Good RBs

I guess you can say it'd be a step up from Al Davis but still...

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 10:20 PM

I thought Mike Francessa said that. He didnt say anything about "dirty little secret" though.

Carr Bombed
07-27-2011, 10:20 PM
True enough statements. It still stands as fact that the Colts and Saints went to the SB with horribly ranked D's. I think the Colts were 30th or 31st when they won the SB. I could very well be wrong. The Chargers have been deep into the playoffs with less tha average D play. My main point is that while we have a potent offense, it's not potent enough to overcome defensive problems like we've had. Besides, I don;t much care what other teams have done. I've seen our O lose almost as many games for us as our D has given away. From Rosencopter to 4 downs at the Cards 1 yd line.

The Colts had the #1 defense in the playoffs the year they won the SB and the Saints weren't bad either.

We aren't talking about yearly rankings....we're talking about a historically bad ranking here. On a yearly ranking you can't drop below 31 and 32. If you assess how bad Houston was historic wise defensively, (especially pass defense) they don't remotely compare to Indy or the Saints rankings the years they won the SB. They aren't even in the same stratosphere. No way in hell would Indy or the Saints win a SB if their defense was in the process of giving up hail Marys' or if they have CBs falling down everywhere.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I dont buy the "good teams find a way to win" thing. I mean, sometimes, luck does matter.

If you're a team like the Texans, we blow game after game after game. Has nothing to do with the other team being a "good team finding a way to win."

Obviously being a good team matters, but sometimes it's just as simple as that.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
The Colts had the #1 defense in the playoffs the year they won the SB and the Saints weren't bad either.

The Colts had a historically bad run defense the year they won the SB. I believe they set records for their poor play. Ron Dayne of all people had 200+ yards against them.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Don't understand why'd he go to the 9ers. If he's using any team for leverage it has to be them.

I mean they are almost the splitting image of the Raiders.

-Average to good Defense
-Crappy QB
-Good RBs

I guess you can say it'd be a step up from Al Davis but still...

It always strikes me as strange that players don't gravitate to Texas since there is no state income tax. Its my understanding that the players have to pay taxes in the state/county/city they play so in 8 away games they have to pay whatever, but seems like they'd make more money in Texas for away games. I wonder how much if at all this plays in to things.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 10:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/after-losing-out-on-weddle-texans-turn-attention-to-asomugha-and-joseph/

The bad news for the Texans: They lost out on safety Eric Weddle after the Chargers reportedly “extended their budget” to get Weddle away from Houston.

The good news: They can use the money they saved to go after a cornerback with more value than Weddle. (And we actually like Weddle plenty.)

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans are “working hard” on possible deals for Nnamdi Asomugha or Johnathan Joseph. They’ll have to shuffle around other contracts and give lots of upfront money to get a deal done, McClain writes.

We are more than 36 hours in sorta free agency, and we get the sense Asomugha’s market is still developing.

It wouldn’t shock us if a team we haven’t heard of yet enters the bidding if they learn the price isn’t as high as once feared.

So if this article is correct Weddle was ready to sign with us and the Chargers had to over extend to keep him. Were we going after Weddle and Aso?

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I dont buy the "good teams find a way to win" thing. I mean, sometimes, luck does matter.

If you're a team like the Texans, we blow game after game after game. Has nothing to do with the other team being a "good team finding a way to win."

Obviously being a good team matters, but sometimes it's just as simple as that.

I often thought of becoming a golf club

Trap_Star
can't sleep, clown will eat me....can't sleep, clown will eat me....can sleep, clown will eat me...

Carr Bombed

If you're a team like the Texans, we blow game after game after game. Has nothing to do with the other team being a "good team finding a way to win"

Good teams find a way to win in all facets of the game. Whether it's offense one week, a defensive play another, or a key STs play another week.

The Texans found multiple ways to win on offense last season...too bad multiple doesn't = 10. Name the amount of times where they won a game defensively (and if you name the Rusty Smith game you will be shot on site :) ) or with the strength of STs? It didn't happen.

Brisco_County
07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton

True enough, but they're still a team without a quarterback.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
The Colts had a historically bad run defense the year they won the SB. I believe they set records for their poor play. Ron Dayne of all people had 200+ yards against them.

But they turned it on in the post-season and only allowed 155 ypg passing in the post season and only 82 ypg rushing.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 10:30 PM
So if this article is correct Weddle was ready to sign with us and the Chargers had to over extend to keep him. Were we going after Weddle and Aso?

That's what it sounds like.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Until the playoffs. Seems like Sanders came back and played out 9f his mind.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Some bitchmade ass guy "RTed" something from "Adam Schefter" about us signing him.

What a troll.

Carr Bombed
07-27-2011, 10:33 PM

Read the quote again.. "The Colts had the #1 ranked defense in the playoffs" I know all about that horrible regular season run defense. Then they signed Booger McFarland and Bob Sanders was healthy and everything changed. They totally flipped their rankings once they reached the playoffs. It's also alot harder to overcome a historically bad pass defense then it is a bad run defense. Especially when the Colts' defensive scheme has always been geared to stop the pass and not the run...mainly because of the scoring pressure that Peyton puts on other teams.

RTP2110
07-27-2011, 10:35 PM

By Tuesday morning, after the Chargers had extended their budget slightly to make sure they got Weddle from the clutches of the Houston Texans, it had become virtually certain that Burnett will be playing elsewhere this season.

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/27/chargers-back-burnett/

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
31,000 replies! Forgot about that one lol. Well it has a chance to be the largest football related thread (I think. Couldn't find the Moulds thread).

Now that you ask... I went and looked it up. 2010 replies. Of course somehow my name got taken off my only chance at texanstalk history. :-| :strangle:

I take my son to Harry Potter and come back and suddenly we're back in the race for real? I'm so confused.

Mike

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/after-losing-out-on-weddle-texans-turn-attention-to-asomugha-and-joseph/

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans are “working hard” on possible deals for Nnamdi Asomugha or Johnathan Joseph. They’ll have to shuffle around other contracts and give lots of upfront money to get a deal done, McClain writes.

Pancakes is up to his ussual doucheyness. Why would the Texans have to shuffle contracts to frontload. Is Nnamdi requesting a front loaded contract? He's just making sh*t up.

Trap_Star
07-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Some bitchmade ass guy "RTed" something from "Adam Schefter" about us signing him.

What a troll.

what?

Allstar
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I really feel that if he was going to the Jets then he would have already done so.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Is it possible that Weddle + JJ was plan A and Aso is plan B with Sensabaugh and JJ being plan C?

Mike

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Damn that Smithiak, doing NOTHING!

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Now that you ask... I went and looked it up. 2010 replies. Of course somehow my name got taken off my only chance at texanstalk history. :-| :strangle:

I take my son to Harry Potter and come back and suddenly we're back in the race for real? I'm so confused.

Mike

Im with ya. Fed, bathed, put the kids to bed and watched Storage Wars and come back to this. My heart can not take it.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
what?

Some guy made a fake "report" tweet coming from "Adam Schefter" about us signing Aso.

Trap_Star
07-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Some guy made a fake "report" tweet coming from "Adam Schefter" about us signing Aso.

my bad...didn't know RTed meant re-tweeted.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:52 PM
"Texans are “working hard” on possible deals for CB Nnamdi Asomugha or CB Johnathan Joseph. per PFT"

.....nothing we didnt know

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
"Texans are “working hard” on possible deals for CB Nnamdi Asomugha or CB Johnathan Joseph. per PFT"

.....nothing we didnt know

Why is it when they say they are working hard I envision both Aso and Joseph with Rick Smith making it rain @ the Gold Cup?

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Why is it when they say they are working hard I envision both Aso and Joseph with Rick Smith making it rain @ the Gold Cup?

Is that a strip club there? Ha.

My guess is they're just trying to see ho much room they can clear.

MEGA SWATT
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Please get Aso!!!!!!!!!!

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 11:03 PM

Yeah. One of many.

Shaft75
07-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Breaking news... This just in...

The Texans are still pursuing Aso and Finnegan is still a punk b*tch!

Brisco_County
07-27-2011, 11:05 PM

What a troll.

You're cut off. Give me your keys.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Breaking news... This just in...

The Texans are still pursuing Aso and Finnegan is still a punk b*tch!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/cortland-finnegan-openly-questions-whether-hasselbeck-fits-the-titans/

Then talks **** about his new QB. All class that guy.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 11:08 PM
So I finally caved and signed up for this Twitter Crap to monitor the FA Market. I added Nnamdi and I'm glad I did. He references Houston seveal times over the last few days, here are some of his posts:

Lots a rumors everywhere. Team im really hearing is houston. Tomorrow ill start listening and thinking
25 Jul via Mobile Web

All raiders, texans, eagles, ravens, jets, and all the other rumored team fans follow me. Might end up in yall city;)
25 Jul via Mobile Web

Still listening. Should sign by saturday
10 hours ago via Mobile Web

Oh Oh. #HoustonWantsNnamdi
9 hours ago via Mobile Web

I see houston wants me bad as they made a # just for me going there. Dont know yet, but there definetely up there

I don't see any reference to any other team on his page!!!!!!!

EDIT: Turns out I'm a dumb ass, and this is a fake account. If you'll excuse me a nigerian prince just emailed me and is giving me $4,882,455 dollars, all I have to do is wire $7000 for bank fees and he'll send me a cashiers check!!!!! Oh I can't wait.

Corrosion
07-27-2011, 11:08 PM

Yeah , and I live about 8 miles away from it ..... lol

If Rick signs Aso I'll take them there personally .... along with TB of course.

BetaV1
07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, I been asleep all day. Can I get a general Aso update? Are the Jets still heavily in it?

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 11:11 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/cortland-finnegan-openly-questions-whether-hasselbeck-fits-the-titans/

He is just upset cus he is not going to get to see Young's sausage in the shower again.

TheBigpaki
07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
So I finally caved and signed up for this Twitter Crap to monitor the FA Market. I added Nnamdi and I'm glad I did. He references Houston seveal times over the last few days, here are some of his posts:

Lots a rumors everywhere. Team im really hearing is houston. Tomorrow ill start listening and thinking
25 Jul via Mobile Web

All raiders, texans, eagles, ravens, jets, and all the other rumored team fans follow me. Might end up in yall city;)
25 Jul via Mobile Web

I see houston wants me bad as they made a # just for me going there. Dont know yet, but there definetely up there

I didn't realize he had a twitter.

Brisco_County
07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Why aren't we organizing an online campaign like we did for Bodden?

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM

I always thought he didnt have a page, may not be real.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM

25 Jul via Mobile Web

25 Jul via Mobile Web

You're new to this, so you get a pass, but when you first look up someone famous on twitter, check and see if he's verified and how many followers he has. I can tell you without looking that the account you are following is fake.

Shaft75
07-27-2011, 11:16 PM
The Aso twitter page is a fake. Don't buy into it. If it was real it would say verified with a check mark next to his name. Check out the Texans twitter profiles.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM

I assume thats his, I just did a search. Hopefully its not a fake and I end up looking like a sports writer for the chron. (Excluding Lance Z of course, he's cool)

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, I been asleep all day. Can I get a general Aso update? Are the Jets still heavily in it?

It's turned into a teenage soap opra.

The Jets wanted him and were flirting and sending out signals. Then they decided that they are putting themselves too far out there and they didn't want to get hurt so they are telling their BFF knowing that it will flow back to Aso that they are talking to other guys and reports are they have stopped talking to one another.

Mean while Aso in response has started talking to this other team The Texans and have reportedly been talking about going to the fall dance together.

Some (Me) thinks they are trying to make each other jealous and still want to make it in the back seat of a used pinto.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
You're new to this, so you get a pass, but when you first look up someone famous on twitter, check and see if he's verified and how many followers he has. I can tell you without looking that the account you are following is fake.

Stupid ass Twitter, thats why I avoided it so long. I'm gonna punch one of our IT Guys at work tomorrow on general principles!!!!!!

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Why aren't we organizing an online campaign like we did for Bodden?

Cus it would end with the same results?

Carr Bombed
07-27-2011, 11:19 PM

Somebody needs to remind the fake Irishman that we also run a west coast offense and we have NO PROBLEMS completely deep passes against his overrated ass. Cortland Innegan is the biggest punk b*tch in the NFL and Andre Johnson permanently put his man card on suspension. :) The sad thing is, that even at the age of 35 Hasselbeck is a better NFL player than Innegan.

P.S.

LMAO at the "hands down, man down" reference. Who is this.. Cortland Innegan or Mark Jackson? Oh well it doesn't really matter, both are equally annoying.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 11:19 PM
It's turned into a teenage soap opra.

The Jets wanted him and were flirting and sending out signals. Then they decided that they are putting themselves too far out there and they didn't want to get hurt so they are telling their BFF knowing that it will flow back to Aso that they are talking to other guys and reports are they have stopped talking to one another.

Mean while Aso in response has started talking to this other team The Texans and have reportedly been talking about going to the fall dance together.

Some (Me) thinks they are trying to make each other jealous and still want to make it in the back seat of a used pinto.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/james-harrison-eyes.jpg

GP
07-27-2011, 11:22 PM

Recently. I'm trying to do a search. It was wayyyy early in this thread, though.

Direct quote.

I'll keep looking.

GP
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
CKW:

Allstar said he heard it on Francesca's radio show, so there's no link.

Here was the original statement by Allstar in the "Texans Prepared To Make A Huge Offer For Aso?" thread (within the first 30 posts of the thread):

Originally Posted by Allstar

Mike Francesa: "Nnamdi Asomugha is going to Houston" Says everyone in the NFL knows it and it's the "worst kept secret in the NFL".

I messed up and thought it was Peter King. Everything is happening so quickly, it's hard to not get these media guys mixed up. Especially with all the tweets and stuff. My bad.

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM

That makes me feel much better about our front office. Sounds as if we've been going after Weddle and Aso/Joseph. Sucks we couldn't get Weddle. At least we see they are working on stuff. Better than what I thought earlier that they were sitting on their thumbs again.

GP
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Just want to say that earlier this evening I was thinking just what Allstar posted recently: If the Jets were "that" hungry for some Aso, they would have pulled the trigger already.

I had posted earlier tonight that I think what happened is that the Jets were clearing room for him, tried to approach the agent...but the agent said Houston's on "automatic bid" like you have on ebay. "Try again, please."

They're not going to be able to do it.

Now the agent is going to use all of Thursday to see if Dallas, or Baltimore, or San Fran, or any other team wants to try and outbid Bob. And thus, Francesca will have been proven correct. Bob wants this guy bad. But I think he might have flirted with Weddle, Weddle went back and used as leverage and got even more to stay with Chargers.

This is why, IMO, we didn't overspend for Weddle. Put out a semi-soft feeler, thinking we might be able to pair Weddle with Joseph or hell maybe even with Aso (you never know). If we got Weddle, we go get Joseph and leave Nnamdi behind. Maybe we're waiting to decide on Leach based on what we get out of the various combinations the Texans are waiting to occur for us?

BetaV1
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
That makes me feel much better about our front office. Sounds as if we've been going after Weddle and Aso/Joseph. Sucks we couldn't get Weddle. At least we see they are working on stuff. Better than what I thought earlier that they were sitting on their thumbs again.

I agree. It took the Chargers making Weddle the highest paid safety in NFL history in order to steal him away from us. That right there tells me we aren't playing around in courting some of these guys.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I haven't checked the NSZ for hours... you know how long its been since I did that? Four months.... lol

Mike

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
I haven't checked the NSZ for hours... you know how long its been since I did that? Four months.... lol

Mike

Everyone needs balance. The NSZ is about discipline, Free Agency prognostication is about flip flopping.

Corrosion
07-27-2011, 11:45 PM

Mike

Im almost banished to the NSZ ..... at least the NSZ is somewhat educational.

Playoffs
07-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Getting the feeling Texans will have no chair when the music stops...

House of Pain
07-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Getting the feeling Texans will have no chair when the music stops...

Not saying that you are wrong, but isn't that the typical outcome of being a Texans fan? How would you know what it would feel like for something to go right for the franchise?

TEXANRED
07-27-2011, 11:52 PM
LOL! It's midnight and there are 128 people viewing

ArlingtonTexan
07-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Everyone needs balance. The NSZ is about discipline, Free Agency prognostication is about flip flopping.

I thought the NSZ was about rigidly maintaining whatever position you went in there with while ignoring objective facts that might challenge your already established world view.

In other words, the flip flopping is the balance from regular NSZ visits.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 11:56 PM

We aren't talking about yearly rankings....we're talking about a historically bad ranking here. On a yearly ranking you can't drop below 31 and 32. If you assess how bad Houston was historic wise defensively, (especially pass defense) they don't remotely compare to Indy or the Saints rankings the years they won the SB. They aren't even in the same stratosphere. No way in hell would Indy or the Saints win a SB if their defense was in the process of giving up hail Marys' or if they have CBs falling down everywhere.
This is a catchall post. Just because you can point to this or that doesn't alter the fact that the Texans have sucked on both sides of the ball when the chips were down. You can play it off as this or that, but it's a matter of record that neither side of the ball came to the rescue of the othr side often enough to get us into the playoffs. That's what matters. You can't go all Jets om people and win win playoff games you should lose by not being in the playoffs. The Jets got there and kicked ass. The Texans haven't even had a legitimate sniff at the playoffs. They remind me of the bunch of boys trying to get laid in Porky's.

b0ng
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
LOL! It's midnight and there are 128 people viewing

The last few nights this week **** has gone down after I went to sleep.

RagingBull
07-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Congratulations on being the fourth longest thread ever.:fans:

Corrosion
07-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Congratulations on being the fourth longest thread ever.:fans:

16th longest .... including the NSZ , No Sports & NSFW.

Last one to post wins being the longest with ..... 31,835 replies.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM

Last one to post wins being the longest with ..... 31,835 replies.And I thought I was anal about some things. LOL

TexanSam
07-28-2011, 12:20 AM

Damn, still 800 more replies until we catch up with the Moulds thread.

Man, were we really that excited about Eric Moulds?

Big Lou
07-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I wonder if us signing Butler, Jones, and Leinhart yesterday means we have an agreement with a CB, as if we knew we had money to work with. If true maybe we have a tentative deal with Leach based on us getting the CB for our current offer but still leaving the door open for bidding war. All just speculation but the tea leaves might be telling a story. The Leach front has been quite.

Corrosion
07-28-2011, 12:34 AM
I wonder if us signing Butler, Jones, and Leinhart yesterday means we have an agreement with a CB, as if we knew we had money to work with. If true maybe we have a tentative deal with Leach based on us getting the CB for our current offer but still leaving the door open for bidding war. All just speculation but the tea leaves might be telling a story. The Leach front has been quite.

Here's something interesting I just read and found interesting regarding the cap (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/781461-houston-texans-free-agency-what-to-make-of-re-signing-jones-and-butler)

Some have contended that the Texans are limited in cap space, so these signings have made that situation worse...they are misinformed. NFL teams do not have to be under the salary cap, which will feel like $126 million, until August 4th. They’ll worry about whether they can land a premier free agent first, and if they do they’ll deal with restructuring contracts and cutting players to make room.

These deals do not hurt that salary cap issue. Butler’s deal was peanuts for the peace of mind he provides, and I would bet that Jones’ deal is structured so that most of his money hits the cap in 2012 and 2013, rather than this year.

Carr Bombed
07-28-2011, 01:21 AM
This is a catchall post. Just because you can point to this or that doesn't alter the fact that the Texans have sucked on both sides of the ball when the chips were down. You can play it off as this or that, but it's a matter of record that neither side of the ball came to the rescue of the othr side often enough to get us into the playoffs. That's what matters. You can't go all Jets om people and win win playoff games you should lose by not being in the playoffs. The Jets got there and kicked ass. The Texans haven't even had a legitimate sniff at the playoffs. They remind me of the bunch of boys trying to get laid in Porky's.

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about the Texans' whole entire history of their franchise here. The only thing relevant in this argument is last year and last year it wasn't their offense that held them back. BTW that offense did bring them back and even won them games last season. I'm sick of the woe is us Houston sports fan outlook. It reminds me of the people that piled on me because I said Arian Foster wasn't going to be Chris Taylor. BTW you do realize that Schaub has led more than his fair share of 4th quarter comebacks and last season the 4th quarter was one of his best quarters don't you?.

I do understand your frustration here, but I don't understand the direction of your criticism. The offense struggled at times, but it wasn't the problem. Field a defense that can force 3 and outs, turnovers, and short fields and then tell me how crappy this offense is or how bad Schaub is at operating in the 4th quarter. Every single season has it's own challenges and it's hard to compare one season to the next. It's like the people that act like Schaub cant lead us to the playoffs, but are more than willing to admit that if we had Rackers instead of Brown in '09, Schaub would've led us to the playoffs... It just doesn't make sense. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Things aren't as battle red rosie as some make it seem, but on the flip side, they aren't as remotely absolute **** (the sky is falling) either.

Allstar
07-28-2011, 03:41 AM
I see you 49er fans lurking in this thread.... Back off, he's ours:logo:

GNTLEWOLF
07-28-2011, 06:31 AM

The question I have is, If the Texans DO have a CB on their radar, is he a game changer?
It looks to me pretty much like all those guys are already gone. No, the Texans remain true to form with no-name FA'a and building "the right way" through the draft. History predicts the future the Texans history is now and always. Gonna be a long year for the defense.

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 06:39 AM
The question I have is, If the Texans DO have a CB on their radar, is he a game changer?
It looks to me pretty much like all those guys are already gone. No, the Texans remain true to form with no-name FA'a and building "the right way" through the draft. History predicts the future the Texans history is now and always. Gonna be a long year for the defense.

The three best cornerbacks are still available.

RTP2110
07-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Signing day is tomorrow! C'mon Nnamdi make an effin decision/announcement already! Hopefully we hear something my midday today.

...wonder if the Texans will do like they did to Reggie Bush and just go on to the next target if Aso takes too long.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Signing day is tomorrow! C'mon Nnamdi make an effin decision/announcement already! Hopefully we hear something my midday today.

...wonder if the Texans will do like they did to Reggie Bush and just go on to the next target if Aso takes too long.

Honestly if they can get Joseph by the end of the night I won't blame them if they did.

What you don't want to do is sit around while Nnamdi twiddle's his fingers and takes his time while everyone else signs. I'm betting other teams think that way too and hopefully there is some pressure on him to make that decision today.

Meanwhile Schefter said that the Jets are in the lead for Nnamdi and that they have the cap space to get it done.

If this is true and if it is true that Nnamdi really wants to go to the Jets then it should have been done. Instead you have Clayton saying Nnamdi might not make a decision until the weekend.

El Tejano
07-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Honestly if they can get Joseph by the end of the night I won't blame them if they did.

What you don't want to do is sit around while Nnamdi twiddle's his fingers and takes his time while everyone else signs. I'm betting other teams think that way too and hopefully there is some pressure on him to make that decision today.

Meanwhile Schefter said that the Jets are in the lead for Nnamdi and that they have the cap space to get it done.

If this is true and if it is true that Nnamdi really wants to go to the Jets then it should have been done. Instead you have Clayton saying Nnamdi might not make a decision until the weekend.

I believe Nnamdi is waiting to see how much the price goes up by the time signing time begins.

Señor Stan
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Last one to post in the Nnamdi thread wins!:evil:

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Ha, the thread is on page 69.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz-9WeHDPV4

Oh, Billy.

Texanmike02
07-28-2011, 07:48 AM
I believe Nnamdi is waiting to see how much the price goes up by the time signing time begins.

I think he's watching this thread. When it gets to page 100 he will sign with us.

Mike

J_R
07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Jets are more than $10 million UNDER salary cap, according to two NFL capologists. Might make the Jets the favorite to land Nnamdi Asomugha.

Schefter adds on SportsCenter Jets are the favorite, its a matter of them "convincing" him to play there.

The Texans are "in the mix" for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha, sources tell the Houston Chronicle.

The problem for Houston is that Jets are now reportedly nearly $10 million under the cap -- and that's before they restructure contracts. It's going to be hard to pry Asomugha away from Broadway and coach Rex Ryan if they can't even offer the most money. The Texans may be better off turning their attention to free agent Johnathan Joseph.

BetaV1
07-28-2011, 08:01 AM
I think he's watching this thread. When it gets to page 100 he will sign with us.

Mike

Well if that's the case, here's me making my contribution. Just got off work, got some eggs, bacon, and coffee, and Sportscenter on while this topic refreshes every few minutes. Let's get this done. :cow:

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm pretty much convinced that if Nnamdi was gonna be a Jet, he would be one by now.

HuttoKarl
07-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Well if that's the case, here's me making my contribution. Just got off work, got some eggs, bacon, and coffee, and Sportscenter on while this topic refreshes every few minutes. Let's get this done. :cow:

I'd punch a hobo in the neck for some eggs, bacon and coffee....and to land Aso.

Playoffs
07-28-2011, 08:11 AM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Quote:
Jets are more than $10 million UNDER salary cap, according to two NFL capologists. Might make the Jets the favorite to land Nnamdi Asomugha.

Ruh roh...

With McClain saying Texans would have to rework a number of contracts if they got Aso...

Gotta say, though, if Jets have more room than Texans we need a "capologist" transplant.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Ruh roh...

With McClain saying Texans would have to rework a number of contracts if they got Aso...

Gotta say, though, if Jets have more room than Texans we need a "capologist" transplant.

McClain doesn't know what he's talking about though.

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Some dude, Paul Greco, host of a show on Sirius I guess.....just said;

#Texans still in Nnamdi Asomugha race. A lot of jack going to be thrown his way. Moved in late last night & have meetings today with agent

Señor Stan
07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Ruh roh...

McClain is NOT a reliable guy for cap numbers...

From LZ's Twitter

Said member of Texans organization, "You aren't buying into this 'we might not have cap room' stuff are you?"

badboy
07-28-2011, 08:29 AM

So if this article is correct Weddle was ready to sign with us and the Chargers had to over extend to keep him. Were we going after Weddle and Aso?Many times I hear John say on radio 610 "Texans up against the cap. What starters do they cut to go after Asomugha?" Well, Mr. McClain so far no starter has been cut. I have advocated that borderline players could be cut + salary adjustments would do it. At least he seems to be coming off the "Absolutely no way!" mantra.
What I guaranttee he (and others on this MB) will do if Aso is not a Texan; "see I told you absolutely no way."

ThaShark316
Ruh roh...

Not a "ruh roh", really...

Mr teX
Ruh roh...

Just the opposite though...If the jets are already reportedly under 10 million, it probably spells the end for some of their other key guys. Braylon Edwards has already been tweeting that he wants to be a jet but apparently the feeling "isn't mutual"..We also know they have to resign David Harris & it probably also means that Cromartie is outta there as well.

On a side note, what does this really say about how Ryan feels about everyone's favorite draft pick from just 2 years ago in Kyle Wilson?

Trap_Star
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Just the opposite though...If the jets are already reportedly under 10 million, it probably spells the end for some of their other key guys. Braylon Edwards has already been tweeting that he wants to be a jet but apparently the feeling "isn't mutual"..We also know they have to resign David Harris & it probably also means that Cromartie is outta there as well.

On a side note, what does this really say about how Ryan feels about everyone's favorite draft pick from just 2 years ago in Kyle Wilson?

it means that wilson has some kind of foot fungus, along with some bunions...total boner kill for rexy.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
i'm pretty much convinced that if nnamdi was gonna be a jet, he would be one by now.this!!

HoustonFrog
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Then there was this

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

evansilva Evan Silva
If #Jets lose Nnamdi Asomugha to the #49ers, they're expected to reset their sights on signing Antonio Cromartie. http://bit.ly/pBR4gl

I'm pretty much convinced that if Nnamdi was gonna be a Jet, he would be one by now.

Disagree completely. If they are 10 million under and want to make sure he is happy they can cut some more salary or restructure some guys and promise him more. From what I've read with the new CBA you can easily make his 2011 number very cap friendly and then give him what he wants other years.

Mr teX
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Then there was this

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

wow.... the longer this plays out, the more $ he's driving the price up....& the less likely i'll want Aso.

HuttoKarl
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
this!!

No way...he's got to use our offer to get more cheddar from the Jets.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
No way...he's got to use our offer to get more cheddar from the Jets.Are you saying that you don't think the Texans have made him an offer?

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 08:50 AM
If my "first choice" is declaring that they have the room, that they're highly interested, that they're gonna make it work, blah blah, then why would I waste time with the other teams? If the Jets fit perfectly, then it would have happened. Especially for Nnamdi, who's generally a no-nonsense guy.

I think his using the JETS to drive up the price for Houston and other teams with more money to throw at him.

HoustonFrog
07-28-2011, 08:57 AM
If my "first choice" is declaring that they have the room, that they're highly interested, that they're gonna make it work, blah blah, then why would I waste time with the other teams? If the Jets fit perfectly, then it would have happened. Especially for Nnamdi, who's generally a no-nonsense guy.

I think his using the JETS to drive up the price for Houston and other teams with more money to throw at him.

The same reason you stated in your last paragraph..."Houston and the 49ers are really coming hard..." Then the Jets add another million or 2 because they decide to restructure someone. You can play with the money all day and make the years and money fit.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Would be a smart thing for him to do. Once he knows that the Texans are desperately wanting him, his agent is probably like "let's milk this... because we can." Leak to the media that you really like New York, that you want to form a great tandem with Revis, that you really like Rex Ryan, that you want to play for a winner. Those are all probably truths and/or at least very believable for a team like us to say "Oh sh*t", here's another million per year.

NitroGSXR
07-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty much convinced that if Nnamdi was gonna be a Texan, he would be one by now.

FIFY.

Its all about the dollars. Nnamdi's got a kickass agent. Look at what he was able to do for Dunta Robinson.

JB
07-28-2011, 09:01 AM
FIFY.

Its all about the dollars. Nnamdi's got a kickass agent. Look at what he was able to do for Dunta Robinson.

I thought it was Joseph that had the same agent as DR

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM
FIFY.

Which is why I proposed that he's using a "big threat" in the Jets as a way to get the Texans to move from 15 mil a year to, say, 17 a year or something.

NitroGSXR
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I thought it was Joseph that had the same agent as DR

You might be right. I'm not so sure.

Good to see you, my friend!

Playoffs
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Nnamdi is leveraging the Texans offer, squeezing it higher, to maximize his payout from either the Jets (ring) or 49ers (home).

It's just business.

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
The $$$ ASO demands will put us in cap hell for years to come. We really need to aquire a GOOD CB and a GOOD safety as opposed to foresaking the rest of our teams future for one player an injury away from dooming this team for years and years to come.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM
If we got Joseph and Manning/Landry, I'd be more than satisfied.

badboy
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM
It has taken years for McNair to get out of several bad contracts after hiring the capologist from NFL. He has said he would not do anything crazy. This could mean that he has ok'd a certain amount for ASO (or any other FA) but after being used in past to bid up money for players going elsewhere has now learned lesson. "Nnamdi, we are going to make you incredibly richer & here is our team, our coaches and plan for the playoffs. SHop around but by Friday it is us or the highway. Don't go get a better offer and come back cause those days are over."

Texans could have held up on announcing a done deal to put pressure on another teams to cut players.

Ckw
07-28-2011, 09:11 AM
The $$$ ASO demands will put us in cap hell for years to come. We really need to aquire a GOOD CB and a GOOD safety as opposed to foresaking the rest of our teams future for one player an injury away from dooming this team for years and years to come.

I'm beginning to agree. Let's move on texans. I'm ok with Joseph or Cromartie and safety like Daniel Manning who we have apparently shown interest in. Good with me.

Aso, keep your feet looking clean and pristine if you go to New York.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Nnamdi is leveraging the Texans offer, squeezing it higher, to maximize his payout from either the Jets (ring) or 49ers (home).

It's just business.

Source?

Texas T
07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
It has taken years for McNair to get out of several bad contracts after hiring the capologist from NFL. He has said he would not do anything crazy. This could mean that he has ok'd a certain amount for ASO (or any other FA) but after being used in past to bid up money for players going elsewhere has now learned lesson. "Nnamdi, we are going to make you incredibly richer & here is our team, our coaches and plan for the playoffs. SHop around but by Friday it is us or the highway. Don't go get a better offer and come back cause those days are over."

Texans could have held up on announcing a done deal to put pressure on another teams to cut players.

I hope this is what they did-and with Cromartie and Joseph.
It would set us up nicely with out killing us for years to come.

Now who believes that McNair has learned something about football??

badboy
07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
The $$$ ASO demands will put us in cap hell for years to come. We really need to aquire a GOOD CB and a GOOD safety as opposed to foresaking the rest of our teams future for one player an injury away from dooming this team for years and years to come.So using your theory we should not have signed, Ryans, Schaub, AJ, Mario, Wade or Anthony SMith...

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm beginning to agree. Let's move on texans. I'm ok with Joseph or Cromartie and safety like Daniel Manning who we have apparently shown interest in. Good with me.

Aso, keep your feet looking clean and pristine if you go to New York.

I agree and think we should make an offer to Cromartie now! I can't imagine he's feeling the love in NY right now

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 09:14 AM

If we got Joseph and Manning/Landry, I'd be more than satisfied.
Agreed. I REALLY want Nnamdi but I definitely want us to be smart about it. Adding Joseph at CB and Manning at S would be huge. And if it takes too much for Nnamdi to come here, Joseph and Manning would be less expensive. I'd just hope we can convince these guys to sign with us.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM

Personally I don't care at all for the 2012-13 season. NFL you go by year by year. Aso is so much better than Joseph or Cromartie he will make the entire secondary play better.

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
So using your theory we should not have signed, Ryans, Schaub, AJ, Mario, Wade or Anthony SMith...

Are any of those players the highest paid for their position? The only one of those players with an incredible contract was AJ and he is without a doubt the best player to ever wear a Texans uni.

HoustonFrog
I agree and think we should make an offer to Cromartie now! I can't imagine he's feeling the love in NY right now

I don't see this happening because of his rep but overall I think he fits as well as anyone if they don't get Aso. I am convinced Joseph stays with the Bengals.

DocBar

Texans could have held up on announcing a done deal to put pressure on another teams to cut players. I don't know if the Texans are gonna play hardball like that with a talent like Nnamdi. This guy is everything the team covets. He's arguably the best at a position of dire need, he's a model citizen and the signing would bring the spotlight on Houston. McNair has to be drooling over this. Signing Aso would also fire up the fan base to heights we haven't seen since 2002. We would be bona fide playa's in the NFL world.
:fans:

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Personally I don't care at all for the 2012-13 season. NFL you go by year by year. Aso is so much better than Joseph or Cromartie he will make the entire secondary play better.

Are you willing to lose Mario and Foster next year?

badboy
07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
It would set us up nicely with out killing us for years to come.Now who believes that McNair has learned something about football??Convince me that signing ASO "kills" us for years to come? You can not stand on "he might get hurt". Well so could any player. Nnamdi has a good health history. Most think he can play corner another 4 years & many think he could then move to safety especially with his size.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I think Joseph will leave the Bengals. With how they are holding Palmer and Chad hostage I really can't see why a player would want to stay there if he had other options.

Mr teX
07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Aso, Joseph, Cromartie...i don't care we absolutely HAVE to land 1 of these guys.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Are you willing to lose Mario and Foster next year?

We won't let those two go, Texans will cut/release other players before they do that. Plus there is always the franchise tag.

gary
07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
I just hope this all ends today about Asomugha.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I just hope this all ends today about Asomugha.in about 31.5 hrs it will all be over.

gary
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
in about 31.5 hrs it will all be over.I don't want to wait that long it is driving me crazy.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
It would set us up nicely with out killing us for years to come.

Now who believes that McNair has learned something about football??

Convince me that signing ASO "kills" us for years to come? You can not stand on "he might get hurt". Well so could any player. Nnamdi has a good health history. Most think he can play corner another 4 years & many think he could then move to safety especially with his size.
To play devil's advocat.... Joseph has had injuries in the past. If anybody's likely to miss time due to injury it would be him. No he wouldn't be making what Nnamdi is but you'd have to think he'll be in the $8M-$10M range.

DocBar
07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't want to wait that long it is driving me crazy.I know!!!:wild:

HuttoKarl
07-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Are you saying that you don't think the Texans have made him an offer?

Whether we made an offer or will make an offer, he'll use it to drive up the price like any other "big" free agent to ever visit the Texans.

Wonder if Ahman Green can play CB??? :gun:

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM

It's just business.

If I remember correctly, Orlando Pace was a buisness man as well. I wonder who his agent was.

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Didn't we put all of our effort into a single CB last year only to lose him to a "buisness" move and force our hand into starting rookies? I might be mistaken, but I feel a groundhog day moment going on.

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 09:41 AM

It's just business.

Actually I predicted just the opposite two days ago. Aso's agent is leveraging these other teams to get Aso the max deal from the Texans.

Brisco_County
07-28-2011, 09:41 AM
The 49'ers are being used against us to inflate the price. When Nnamdi said he wanted to go to a contender, he wasn't thinking San Francisco.

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
The 49'ers are being used against us to inflate the price. When Nnamdi said he wanted to go to a contender, he wasn't thinking San Francisco.

Agreed, had he wanted to stay home he would have stayed in Oakland.

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Didn't we put all of our effort into a single CB last year only to lose him to a "buisness" move and force our hand into starting rookies? I might be mistaken, but I feel a groundhog day moment going on.

Texans aren't putting all their effort into it though. We know they tried really hard to get Weddle and now we hear of them going after Manning, and also the rumors of Joseph.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 09:44 AM

We've also contacted Joseph and possibly Cromartie.

Last year was difficult becase Bodden was the #1 FA. Then there were a bunch of RFAs (5). And Dunta. And the next highest ranked CB FA was Philip Buchanon and then Hood from the Titans.

So it was Bodden or nothing. This year there are more options.

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Texans aren't putting all their effort into it though. We know they tried really hard to get Weddle and now we hear of them going after Manning, and also the rumors of Joseph.

NO! Smithiak sucks!

euro-Texan
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
We've also contacted Joseph and possibly Cromartie.

Last year was difficult becase Bodden was the #1 FA. Then there were a bunch of RFAs (5). And Dunta. And the next highest ranked CB FA was Philip Buchanon and then Hood from the Titans.

So it was Bodden or nothing. This year there are more options.

Great point. I didn't recall all of the other options (or lack there of) last year. I'm going to get worried if some of these other FA start falling off the board though.

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
My new crazy theory:

Clayton reported yesterday thath would announce something last night. Needless to say that never happened. Media said it was because they are waiting to see what Aso's contract is to set the bar. Then the other story got out that the Texans are very much in this with the highest money offer combine with that tweet from Zierlein not to worry about cap numbers.

I believe the Texans have a max offer on the table. Whenever the Jets and 49'ers place a a bid the agent tells em "not high enough, still under Texans". They also have a sercurity net in place with an offer to Joseph contingent on signing Aso. Its a big offer so Joseph is willing to wait and see what happens. Its also in his best interest since if Aso signs a HUGE deal it would drive his value up.

Crazy I know but the fact the Texans had Weddle and made the Chargers overspend says a lot.

ensign_lee
07-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't understand how SF is in the picture. Aren't they set to release Nate Clements because of cap issues?

The Pencil Neck
My new crazy theory:

Clayton reported yesterday thath would announce something last night. Needless to say that never happened. Media said it was because they are waiting to see what Aso's contract is to set the bar. Then the other story got out that the Texans are very much in this with the highest money offer combine with that tweet from Zierlein not to worry about cap numbers.

I believe the Texans have a max offer on the table. Whenever the Jets and 49'ers place a a bid the agent tells em "not high enough, still under Texans". They also have a sercurity net in place with an offer to Joseph contingent on signing Aso. Its a big offer so Joseph is willing to wait and see what happens. Its also in his best interest since if Aso signs a HUGE deal it would drive his value up.

Crazy I know but the fact the Texans had Weddle and made the Chargers overspend says a lot.

My new crazy theory is that Nnamdi is playing the different teams against each other and the Texans are playing Nnamdi against Joseph. Last night, I think that was a power play and someone was threatening to announce a "signing" and then someone came back with another offer.

Mr teX
If I remember correctly, Orlando Pace was a buisness man as well. I wonder who his agent was.

Lol its funny though b/c let some people in here tell it, landing these caliber of FA's is all on the texans FO & the player has next to nothing to do with it. They say that If Ricky & Gurry just qued up the Rudy music, made an inspiring speech to the player about how they were the missing link, everything else would easily take care of itself & these top FA's wouldn't stand a chance in being able to resist coming to Houston.

The other forces (like the actual player wanting to come here, team situations, & the player's agent games) are just secondary & don't matter in the grand scheme of courting these guys. & of course this as we've seen in the past with so many other players, is far from the truth. All of this crap matters & the only way to get around all of that is to blow every other team out of the water.................likely at the expense of the rest of your team. Hopefully, this isn't the case for us.

The Pencil Neck
I don't understand how SF is in the picture. Aren't they set to release Nate Clements because of cap issues?

They're set to release Clements to make room for Aso.

euro-Texan
My new crazy theory:

Not crazy at all. It's what we do

Texas T
07-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Convince me that signing ASO "kills" us for years to come? You can not stand on "he might get hurt". Well so could any player. Nnamdi has a good health history. Most think he can play corner another 4 years & many think he could then move to safety especially with his size.

I wasn't even thinking injury, I was driving toward the $$ he will tie up for years. I'm not confident that the Texans can play the cap game well enough to keep us from dieing in the next couple of years based on one guy.
I've seen all the stuff about our capologist but how well has that worked??
I'm concerned that the longer this drags out the more $$ we will spend for him and then next year we will be screwed.
I'm not sure if one good year is worth it...but that could be the Houston Sports fan in me, seeing the bad in everything...

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 09:55 AM
My new crazy theory:

Not crazy at all. I hope you're right.

aussie_texan
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM

where is the source to say we tried hard for weddle all i heard was the we were in contact, and the manning rumours arnt much either

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
where is the source to say we tried hard for weddle all i heard was the we were in contact, and the manning rumours arnt much either

J_R
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM

If they set Clements free, it was reported that it would give them "more than enough" room/money to sign Nnamdi

According to ESPN's Mike Sando, the 49ers' impending release of Nate Clements would clear "more than enough" salary cap space for the team to sign free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
...Clements was scheduled to count $17 million against the cap. The Niners are known to be "strongly" in pursuit of Asomugha, and they likely now have the funds to execute. San Francisco appears to be neck-and-neck with the Jets at this point. Jul 27, 6:30 PM

fiasco west
07-28-2011, 10:00 AM

ThaJokaa
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM

http://m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/27/chargers-back-burnett/

Nawzer
Day 3 of the Nnamdi saga.

DX-TEX
The "hype" from the Jets havinga realistic shot is just that: typical east coast media hype. Espn is notorious for this damn east coast bias.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM

The bad news for the Texans: They lost out on safety Eric Weddle after the Chargers reportedly “extended their budget” to get Weddle away from Houston.

The good news: They can use the money they saved to go after a cornerback with more value than Weddle. (And we actually like Weddle plenty.)

EDIT: others beat me to it!

HoustonFrog
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
My new crazy theory:

Not crazy but don't see it. I can see a twist on it where basically Aso started saying he wanted 17-20 mil/season. Texans maybe max at 14-15 mil. Probably 15. 49ers can do that so now you have a choice. Jets start at 12 mil and that is where he'd like to play but money talks. So the delay now is can the Jets cut enough to get between 12 and 15...say "You hit 14 and we got a deal." Thus Jets working hard.

As far as Weddle. That happened pretty quick. From what I heard Texans and others wanted bid but Chargers were already willing to spend even if the Texans had offered alot, as report above said.

aussie_texan
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
wow i just got bombarded with sources lol thanks guys

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
wow i just got bombarded with sources lol thanks guys

LOL. Take these "sources" with a grain of salt. There's so much misinformation floating out there it's nearly impossible to know what's truth from whats false.

Mr teX
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
My new crazy theory:

not crazy at all..this might be why we have yet to hear anything about the players we're releasing b/c it would give opposing teams an idea of how much cap space we're prepared to clear to sign Aso...& other players. the number that's out there for us right now is 6-7 million under the cap.

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Not crazy but don't see it. I can see a twist on it where basically Aso started saying he wanted 17-20 mil/season. Texans maybe max at 14-15 mil. Probably 15. 49ers can do that so now you have a choice. Jets start at 12 mil and that is where he'd like to play but money talks. So the delay now is can the Jets cut enough to get between 12 and 15...say "You hit 14 and we got a deal." Thus Jets working hard.

Bob desparately wants to be a big boy in this league. I think last year finally drove him over the edge and the fans talk got to him. He paid $700 miillion for this franchise and has been one up'ed on every single thing he does every year.

Dont forget the talk that came out last season where Rex Ryan called the Texans "wimps, soft" and knew his team would beat us in 09. Bob is pissed and doesnt want to be a second class citizen anymore. If they wont let him in the elite door he will knock the damn door down. He has been hanging around Bum a lot.:fans:

Cjeremy635
07-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Holy crap, 73 pages of speculations? Don't you people have jobs?

:foottap:

DocBar
07-28-2011, 10:07 AM

As far as Weddle. That happened pretty quick. From what I heard Texans and others wanted bid but Chargers were already willing to spend.
Just typing out loud here, but I wonder if part of the problem is length of deal and how the $$ is structured and how much is garaunteed. The devil could very well be in the details with this. Weddle said on Sirius NFL that the Texans and Jags were very much targeting him.

DX-TEX
07-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Im on vacation!!!! WEEEEEEEE!!!:spin:

BetaV1
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM

I'm a sportswriter with reliable "inside sources." :spin:

Nawzer
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
The lack of inaction by the Texans in the FA market tells me that we are almost guaranteed getting either Nnamdi or Joseph. I just hope it's resolved sometime early today so we can address the other areas of the team.

badboy
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I wasn't even thinking injury, I was driving toward the $$ he will tie up for years. I'm not confident that the Texans can play the cap game well enough to keep us from dieing in the next couple of years based on one guy.
I've seen all the stuff about our capologist but how well has that worked??
I'm concerned that the longer this drags out the more $$ we will spend for him and then next year we will be screwed.
I'm not sure if one good year is worth it...but that could be the Houston Sports fan in me, seeing the bad in everything...Actually Texans have worked cap pretty well as seen by the $118m reported by several sources compared to NFL cap of $120m. They have also added Antonio Smith and Wade Smith as free agents. No they did not sign Leigh Bodden but he got a lot of money elsewhere. As fans we want Texans to spend whatever to get who we think is best. Even on this limited MB fans are all over about what would be best deal.

ThaJokaa
07-28-2011, 10:11 AM

Im at school in my computer class, but I was lurking at work last night through my phone...

gary
07-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Need a safety too though.

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Hope and Change, bro.

BIG TORO
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Im working now!:spin:

Mr teX
07-28-2011, 10:14 AM

I'm at work...........but im the boss :heh:

HoustonFrog
07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Bob desparately wants to be a big boy in this league. I think last year finally drove him over the edge and the fans talk got to him. He paid $700 miillion for this franchise and has been one up'ed on every single thing he does every year.

Dont forget the talk that came out last season where Rex Ryan called the Texans "wimps, soft" and knew his team would beat us in 09. Bob is pissed and doesnt want to be a second class citizen anymore. If they wont let him in the elite door he will knock the damn door down. He has been hanging around Bum a lot.:fans:

I'm not sure of this version of Bob McNair you are talking about. The same one who thought owners were proud of a heartbreaking loss and who thought the Texans were on the right track. The same one that said the other day that they would make smart moves and who said this when Wade was hired

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/07/hey_texans_has_anybody_checked.php

"I have so much more confidence. Generally, when you make any kind of change, you sort of hold your breath. You say, 'Boy, I hope this works out.' I'm not saying that here. It will work out. [Wade's] done it. He's been there. He's come in, he's looked at our film, we've talked about it, and he just cut to the quick so fast. He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel." -- Texans owner Bob McNair on Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips the day he was hired, 1/6/11

With all of that said I see Bob having a 15 mil max and that is what is out there. So they are in it but I don't think there is a massive negotiation...just their max offer...JMO

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Can you imagine if we land Nnamdi AND sign Danieal Manning. SO freaking awesome if that happens.

I KNOW we're going to get a FA (Nnamdi, Joseph, Cromartie, whoever) and they are going to be our "#1".... but honest question here: Who's going to line up opposite him? Will it be Jackson or Allen? I'd imagine Harris will see some time in nickle situations too. I'll be really interested to see how the corners shake out. Quin + Manning as safety nets? Yes please.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Not after this.

gary
07-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Can you imagine if we land Nnamdi AND sign Danieal Manning. SO freaking awesome if that happens.

I KNOW we're going to get a FA (Nnamdi, Joseph, Cromartie, whoever) and they are going to be our "#1".... but honest question here: Who's going to line up opposite him? Will it be Jackson or Allen? I'd imagine Harris will see some time in nickle situations too. I'll be really interested to see how the corners shake out. Quin + Manning as safety nets? Yes please.I'd start Allen and make Jackson earn play time.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/07/hey_texans_has_anybody_checked.php
"I have so much more confidence. Generally, when you make any kind of change, you sort of hold your breath. You say, 'Boy, I hope this works out.' I'm not saying that here. It will work out. [Wade's] done it. He's been there. He's come in, he's looked at our film, we've talked about it, and he just cut to the quick so fast. He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel." -- Texans owner Bob McNair on Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips the day he was hired, 1/6/11
I hope after this weekend with the signing of some top secondary free agents that we understand the second part of what McNair was thinking but didn't say:

"He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel. So that tells me we're close. But I told him we're adding Nnamdi and a veteran safety so that should put the perverbial nail in the coffin, so to speak." LOL

The1ApplePie

I’m my own editor/supervisor, so I can do what I want. :fans:

J_R
michaelombardi (http://twitter.com/#!/michaelombardi) Michael Lombardi
Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Nnamdi Asomugha—money will be in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year

DX-TEX
I'm not sure of this version of Bob McNair you are talking about. The same one who thought owners were proud of a heartbreaking loss and who thought the Texans were on the right track. The same one that said the other day that they would make smart moves and who said this when Wade was hired

With all of that said I see Bob having a 15 mil max and that is what is out there. So they are in it but I don't think there is a massive negotiation...just their max offer...JMO

Im trying to feel warm and tingly. I like to imagine Bob as the Hulk. Mild mannered,tempered, layed back but when he gets angry........BOB SMASH!!! OVERPAY FREE AGENTS!!!!!

Section516
RT @michaelombardi: Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Asomugha—money in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year

Section516
07-28-2011, 10:21 AM
As for the job..Dual monitor at work..One for Twitter and ESPN, one for TT..Improves my productivity..

Maddict5
get it done!

aussie_texan
Need a safety too though.

surely we'll get one of sensabaugh, goldson or manning

TheMatrix31
#Texans have reportedly moved into the foreground in the race for CB Nnamdi Asomugha for roughly $12-14M/yr, updates surely to come. #NFL

from "nfldraftupdate"

ThaJokaa
07-28-2011, 10:22 AM
RT @michaelombardi: Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Asomugha—money in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year

:fans:

Cjeremy635
07-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm at work...........but im the boss :heh:

That's me....LOL.

I just tell the guys to leave me alone, I'm trying to get all of these damn TPS reports done!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iGggGfFOpZw/S0N3udsgiwI/AAAAAAAACjg/Pm49zgDknfw/s400/tps+report.jpg

gary
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I honestly think we got him.

Errant Hothy
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Nnamdi Asomugha—money will be in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year

I honestly think we got him.

I wish I had that kind of faith. I'll believe it when/if it happens.

TheMatrix31
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Bastards getting our hopes up, LOL.

J_R
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I wish I had that kind of faith. I'll believe it when/if it happens.

This. I want to believe it but nothing is done until its done. Already had one guy back out of his agreement with a team.

HuttoKarl
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I'll believe it when ink hits paper...and even then might think I'm dreaming.

Maddict5
ya the way it keeps going from jets->sf->texans def makes it look like hes trying to drive up the price... still exciting but will he take the money though?

toxictrix
I don't think I like Lombardi very much. He was counting us out almost completely until now. Wonder what happened. He must have gotten some big information.

Ole Miss Texan
Boy well that's nice to hear, but it ain't over yet!

The thing about Nnamdi to the Jets (for me) is not how much cap room can they clear... it's how they make Nnamdi and Revis both happy from a contract sense. We can debate who is better Nnamdi or Revis... they're both the best, there are valid arguements for either. Honestly, I'd imagine that the Jets/Rex probably think Revis is in fact the best. They see him everyday, they've got a history with him, he's done extremely well there. They JUST renegotiated Revis' contract 9 months ago because Revis was unhappy. Does it make sense to sign a CB that is equal to or maybe "not quite as good" as Revis for 15%-20% per year?? It makes no sense to me. Not that they can't afford to do it, but how are you going to pay Nnamdi $14M and Revis $12M if you think Revis is better. Revis would probably love to play opposite Nnamdi but that's not going to tied him over too long, he's going to ask for more money to get paid equally.

It'd be like us signing Larry Fitzgerald to a contract where he's making $2M-$3M more a year than Andre Johnson. Sure maybe we can technically do that and be under the cap... but it doesn't make sense.

BetaV1
07-28-2011, 10:27 AM

http://img.mp3fiesta.com/covers/12/12740/art_12740_big.jpg

Brisco_County

Dual monitors, my boss' cube is right beside me so I update him from time to time on free agency.

DX-TEX
Number seems really low.

FirstTexansFan
Well I'm sticking with my prediction, we're gonna get him and Sensabaugh, and Trap Star's gonna video himself dancing naked.... is it wrong of me to be giddy about that? I mean, the signing of Aso and Sensabaugh of course :)

Cjeremy635
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
This. I want to believe it but nothing is done until its done. Already had one guy back out of his agreement with a team.

Exactly. I would love to sign him, but I hate the unknown variables.

My biggest fear is completely missing the boat on other players due to the time and effort invested in this one guy. Hopefully they have a contingency plan in place where they'll already have a plan B & C ready to go if we don't get Aso.

I'd be happy if we got him, but furious if we get nobody.

badboy
:fans:Lombardi being interviewing on NFL Network mentioning no income tax in Texas, Jets still facing Revis money (if Jets sign ASO (matching offer by Texans) Revis agent will be on telphone demanding more $. Houston has "lots of money" (say what John McClain?) and is back at #1 in Nnamdi race. Said he expects deal done today by someone.

Section516
Well I'm sticking with my prediction, we're gonna get him and Sensabaugh, and Trap Star's gonna video himself dancing naked.... is it wrong of me to be giddy about that? I mean, the signing of Aso and Sensabaugh of course :)

Sens/Hope/Manning would all be upgrades. Honestly, I'd take whoever was the cheapest..