PDA

View Full Version : The Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Allstar
07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Things are definitely not looking good for us, at least in regards to Nnamdi.

HuttoKarl
You mean the report that said they were going to work on trying to get him for the next 12-14 hours?

When you put it like that "Seal the deal" that means it'd be the breaking news story on ESPN right now since it is all agreements right now.

Meh...semantics.

Bottom line is that any of us who hoped to have him in a Texans uniform are most likely going to be sorely disappointed.

Texecutioner
And how much success did his dad have as a HC? About the same as Rex at this point. buddys greatest achievement was as the co nordinator of the '85 Bears defense. He was terrible in Philly and Arizona as a HC. Talked a hell of a game, loved by his players but made dumb personel moves and never could get over the hump.

Yeah, going to two AFC championships back to back in your first two seasons is definitely something to be ashamed about as an under achiever. You're right he sucks.

Section516
Time to move on, Weddle/Joseph/Franklin..

steelbtexan
As Texans fans we have a skewed perspective of the Jets. We just want to win at this point and would be happy with a playoff appearance.

From the perspective of perrenial playoff teams and their fans the Jets are a "me too" laughing stock. While we cry for a fiery coach like Ryans here he is no better than his dad, Wade Philips. Kubiak etc.....great co ordinators but horrible head coaches-personel guys.

How many AFC/NFC championship games has Ryan been to? How many have Wade and Gary been too? Se they're nothing alike.

The sad part about it is the Jets and Texans were in the same boat record wise when Gary took over. Now the Jets are light yrs ahead as an organization. The Jets are a franchise players want to play for. The Texans are not. (Thanks for nothing BoBBy/Gary/Rick)

All of the excuses about the Texans being up against the cap are begining to ring hollow. The Jets are over the Cap and if they want Aso and Aso wants to pla for the Jets then Tannenbaum/Ryan will make it happen. (BTW Aso played for Rob Ryan in Oakland so he already knows the Jets system.) Given the chance to play for the Jets and a SB or a chance to play for the Texans who hope to make the playoffs if the $$$$ are close the decision is a no brainer.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Things are definitely not looking good for us, at least in regards to Nnamdi.

Move on to Joseph and Weddle.

But no our big FA signing was Jacoby!!!!
:fans::fans::fans::fans:

CloakNNNdagger
From PFT:

Asomugha day two update: Jets interest is serious, Bucs may be out
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2011, 9:57 AM EDT
N. Asomugha1 Getty Images

Nnamdi Asomugha’s first day on the sorta open market was relatively quiet. Expect that to change Wednesday.

From NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi:

“I keep hearing from well placed relible NFL sources that this Jet talk and Nmandi Asomugha is serious and I mean serious,” Lombardi wrote on Twitter.

A report from Mlive.com’s Tom Kowalski echoed the sentiment. Kowalski is a Lions beat writer, so it’s possible Detroit has heard that Asomugha is set on exploring his options in New York before entertaining other ideas.

Tampa Bay made some sense as a destination, but they don’t sound interested. First: They are keeping Aqib Talib. Second, G.M. Mark Dominik had this to say when asked about Asomugha:

“The way we’ve been building this football team . . . over the last couple of years, I think there’s a blueprint that’s already sitting in front of you all, and we’re going to follow that blueprint,” Dominik said via the St. Petersburg Times.

While we’re still just in the rumor stage, it’s worth remembering the Jets blueprint too: They like to make a big splash.

beerlover
Bill Romanowski just said on 610 that Nnamdi is not a shutdown corner, that Revis is better because he can take away anything. Still Asomugha would make an excellent teammate just not isolated on island in proverbial shutdown corner terms.

Rey
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Pft. Forget all this talk about the Jets cap money. I think the real concern here should be how many idiots are going to be online on Madden 12 with the Jets. :foottap:

(Jokes, obviously, but it's going to be bad if Aso goes there.)

At first there will be a few. Then after realizing they don't have all that great of pass rushers, receivers, qb or running game they will look elsewhere.

Since those are the things that matter most. If you just have corners with speed and agility on madden you can get by.

DocBar
Move on to Joseph and Weddle.

But no our big FA signing was Jacoby!!!!
:fans::fans::fans::fans:I agree. If Aso is gonna take his sweet time, move on. Don't get target fixation so bad you fly the plane into the ground.

fiasco west
michaelombardi (http://twitter.com/#!/michaelombardi) Michael Lombardi
Jets main competition for Asomuga right now are the 49ers, they are in it strong...will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Luckily for us these things change. I'm going to remain neutral on it until something becomes final. No sense in swaying back and fourth at every single report.

DX-TEX
How many AFC/NFC championship games has Ryan been to? How many have Wade and Gary been too? Se they're nothing alike.

And he will NEVER get any further, just like his dad! Thats why I said as Texans fans our perspective is screwed. Rex has to cross Everest, while Kubiak and the Texans cant get over the speed bump.

thread is moving too damn fast!

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
so...what's Weddle looking like right now?

beerlover
If the Jets do sign Nnamdi then the Texans take away Cromartie because no way they could keep him too!

DX-TEX
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/MechDX/CxO1V.png

:strangle:

Grams
07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
so...what's Weddle looking like right now?

H e is looking like a Jaguar - almost

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM

The sad part about it is the Jets and Texans were in the same boat record wise when Gary took over. Now the Jets are light yrs ahead as an organization. The Jets are a franchise players want to play for. The Texans are not. (Thanks for nothing BoBBy/Gary/Rick)

All of the excuses about the Texans being up against the cap are begining to ring hollow. The Jets are over the Cap and if they want Aso and Aso wants to pla for the Jets then Tannenbaum/Ryan will make it happen. (BTW Aso played for Rob Ryan in Oakland so he already knows the Jets system.) Given the chance to play for the Jets and a SB or a chance to play for the Texans who hope to make the playoffs if the $$$$ are close the decision is a no brainer.

I'm still amazed that people have actually thought that Bob and Smith were going to really be huge contenders in this sweepstakes in the first place. They build through the draft and sign mediocre free agents. That's their MO. And Bob already stated months ago that "we're not going to do anything crazy" which means we're not going to slug it out with other teams in a bidding war for a top tier player in Bob's language. People seemed to have forgotten that Bob said that months ago.

steelbtexan
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Time to move on, Weddle/Joseph/Franklin..

Look like it

HuttoKarl
07-27-2011, 10:49 AM
If the Jets do sign Nnamdi then the Texans take away Cromartie because no way they could keep him too!

Houston wouldn't sign Cromartie because his dick works extremely well. They don't want the negative rep that comes with a guy with working junk.

TheMatrix31
Luckily for us these things change. I'm going to remain neutral on it until something becomes final. No sense in swaying back and fourth at every single report.

Seriously. How fickle can people be?

HuttoKarl
I'm still amazed that people have actually thought that Bob and Smith were going to really be huge contenders in this sweepstakes in the first place. They build through the draft and sign mediocre free agents. That's their MO. And Bob already stated months ago that "we're not going to do anything crazy" which means we're not going to slug it out with other teams in a bidding war for a top tier player in Bob's language. People seemed to have forgotten that Bob said that months ago.

It's a failure of an MO...it'd be insane to not change up the game after this long.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2011, 10:51 AM

http://cgi.rumormillnews.com/pix0/Smoke___Mirrors1.jpg

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 10:51 AM

That would make the Texans look like big time losers to a big boy franchise. We desperately need a top CB. The Jets already have one and need to sign other players. They still end up signing the best guy and we just get their left overs in Cromartie who is overrated as hell any way. That would look like every other off season for the Texans, but that's what I've expected this entire time and for the record I think that you might be right about that happening.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Here's the thing. We need to get Aso. On the field Joseph + weddle will be fine and we will look OK at the end of the day. Hell Weddle + 2 CB's not on our roster right now are ok... but that isn't the only problem. We need to land a blockbuster. It isn't like people around the league would be like "oh wow, why'd they do that"... aka Roy Williams to lil-D... instead it would be like "they're serious about winning NOW"... It would send the message to OTHER players. We will have to overpay one time. We can over pay for Aso or we can overpay for someone else that's a huge splash. This splash makes us the best value. Call him. Tell him we will find a way to do 18/yr. Cap room wise that doesn't make sense.. I know... but it is the only way that we will ever NOT have to overpay for stars...

Mike

JamesBill
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM
So for those of us late to the party, we have no shot at NA?

The1ApplePie
07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Texans got Chris Bosh'd

It will always be hard to draw elite talent when your team is basically AJ, a one-year wonder RB (first Slaton, now Foster), and a bunch of mediocrity

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
It's a failure of an MO...it'd be insane to not change up the game after this long.

You're right, but I've accepted the fact that it isn't going to change until we get a new regime in here that's committed to winning with a strong minded HC that can sell his team and a real NFL GM instead of some flunkie that was Kubiak's boy in the Denver front office.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
texans got chris bosh'd

it will always be hard to draw elite talent when your team is basically aj, a one-year wonder rb (first slaton, now foster), and a bunch of mediocrity

lol

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Texans got Chris Bosh'd

It will always be hard to draw elite talent when your team is basically AJ, a one-year wonder RB (first Slaton, now Foster), and a bunch of mediocrity

That's better than what the Jets had before Rex arrived. In the NFL all it takes is the right HC and GM combination to change the culture at their destination. Rex has epitomized that notion and ran with it. Todd Haley seems to be on the same track. Meanwhile, we've got an owner that says "We're on the right track" after a 6-10 season in year 5 of our current regime. :wadepalm:

beerlover
07-27-2011, 11:01 AM
That would make the Texans look like big time losers to a big boy franchise. We desperately need a top CB. The Jets already have one and need to sign other players. They still end up signing the best guy and we just get their left overs in Cromartie who is overrated as hell any way. That would look like every other off season for the Texans, but that's what I've expected this entire time and for the record I think that you might be right about that happening.

is what it is :specnatz:

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
is what it is :specnatz:

where is Specnatz btw?

Mike

HuttoKarl
07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
You're right, but I've accepted the fact that it isn't going to change until we get a new regime in here that's committed to winning with a strong minded HC that can sell his team and a real NFL GM instead of some flunkie that was Kubiak's boy in the Denver front office.

I'm in the same camp, man. It's pathetic. It'd be maddening if I really cared anymore. Houston's front office has been chipping away at my fandom for a long time now with their lack of doing anything productive to change this team.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 11:04 AM

I agree. Don't know what the heck I was thinking.

Just so you know, egg on my facE + koolaide is not a good combo.

Freak'n :fans:

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Its sad. As good as we are at PR... why doesn't that extend to PR to star players.

Mike

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
At least we have all reached the acceptance stage.

The1ApplePie
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
That's better than what the Jets had before Rex arrived. In the NFL all it takes is the right HC and GM combination to change the culture at their destination. Rex has epitomized that notion and ran with it. Todd Haley seems to be on the same track. Meanwhile, we've got an owner that says "We're on the right track" after a 6-10 season in year 5 of our current regime. :wadepalm:

Rex left Baltimore and brought good Ravens players with him
Payton left Dallas and brought good Cowboys with him
Kubes left Denver and brought Ron Dayne with him:foottap:

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't think that we're out of it. The fact that its so quiet actually makes me feel a little better. Of course I'm going to hear on the radio that I'm wrong in 3... 2... 1....

Mike

ThaShark316
07-27-2011, 11:07 AM
...and there it is...Houston fans thinking no one wants to come here...

Got nothing to do with regime...dude talked about playing in NY 3 years ago. Not saying it was in the cards, but good god. Believe what y'all want to believe, but I'm not about to blame this regime for Asomugha not coming here....

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM

& Chris Meyers & Jeb Putzier

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Got nothing to do with regime...dude talked about playing in NY 3 years ago. Not saying it was in the cards, but good god. Believe what y'all want to believe, but I'm not about to blame this regime for Asomugha not coming here....

What if we sign NO real DB help this offseason?

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:09 AM

And here comes the Smithiak apologists........

Look at them go!!

HuttoKarl
07-27-2011, 11:10 AM

This regime has established an acceptance of mediocrity. Nobody wants to be mediocre in the NFL...with the exception of our front office, who jumps into the mediocrity pool and rubs that bitter mediocrity juice all over their bodies while talking about the right course.

fiasco west
I didn't know Aso signed anywhere yet. Reading the last page it sounds like the Texans missed out on Aso, Weddle, Joseph, and everyone else.

As long as Aso is not signed there will be tons of rumors.

9ers make sense if he wants to stay in Cali...if that is his only priority that is. Out of all the teams mentioned they are the worse IMO. It looks like they aren't interested in solving their QB problem either.

thunderkyss

I'm not blaming the regime because they can't get Asomugha.

I'm blaming them because tHey can't get any body who is anybody.

We won't get Cromartie, we won't get Grimes, we won't get Joseph. If anything we might get another freak'n Carr.

That's the big splash Mcnair was talking about

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Well don't be a debbie downer now and not give him any credit. He brought Rick Smith!!! :hurrah:

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I didn't know Aso signed anywhere yet. Reading the last page it sounds like the Texans missed out on Aso, Weddle, Joseph, and everyone else.

9ers make sense if he wants to stay in Cali...if that is his only priority that is. Out of all the teams mentioned they are the worse IMO. It looks like they aren't interested in solving their QB problem either.

OS is the best.

Nawzer
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I wish this thing would just end. Would be great if we get him, but we need to move on fast if we don't. There are other players available and we have a couple of holes to fill.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM

He wants to go to NY. The Jets want him. The freak'n media doesn't even mention us in the race anymore.

We'reto busy signing Damien Lewis because we can't find a decent NT out there named Kelly.

beerlover
very every action there is a reaction :kitten:

TheMatrix31
I wish this thing would just end. Would be great if we get him, but we need to move on fast if we don't. There are other players available and we have a couple of holes to fill.

Doesn't matter. Apparently were not getting anyone at all anyway.

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 11:16 AM

That's the way it looks. Didn't this franchise learn anything about staying with what you got? That decision to go with Brice Mccain and Glover Quin did real well for us right?

The1ApplePie
He wants to go to NY. The Jets want him. The freak'n media doesn't even mention us in the race anymore.

We'reto busy signing Damien Lewis because we can't find a decent NT out there named Kelly.

Well, at least the Texans have Nick Fairley playing the nose...

Texecutioner
And here is the latest.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the 49ers have jumped into the race to get free agent Nnamdi Asomugha under contract.
Lombardi calls the Niners the Jets "main competition," and assures "they are in it strong." San Francisco can clear a large amount of salary cap space by releasing Nate Clements, a move that would surely happen on Thursday if a deal with Asomugha was reached. Writers on the 49ers beat have been slightly skeptical of an Asomugha pursuit, but never ruled it out.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/0/Football-headlines?rw=1

Still no sign of the Texans for those who still think that Rick Smith is capable of anything.

That would be funny if the 49ers did sign Aso. I'd love to hear that Smithiak apologists who use the excuses every year that big time free agents just won't come here because we're not a winning team if Aso ended up on a perrenial loser like the 49ers who haven't sniffed the playoffs since Garcia and Mooch were there. Plus, I'm terrified to see Aso on the same team as Revis.

jaayteetx
Anytime there is a New York team involved in anything like this, the media is going to play it to the hilt. Why? Ratings, website hits and all that jazz. Don't sweat the Jets. Or Cowboys or anyone else. He'll sign who he signs with. If we get him, great, if not we move on. Wade Phillips alone is gonna make a world of difference to this defense, ya'll just watch.

TheMatrix31
That's the way it looks. Didn't this franchise learn anything about staying with what you got? That decision to go with Brice Mccain and Glover Quin did real well for us right?

I was being sarcastic.

DX-TEX

Is this sarcasm or honest opinion? I dont know anymore.:wild:

Wait a sec: but didnt you want to be like the Jets? Wouldnt that entail making a splash right at the beginning of free agency?

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Nnamdi needs to have a segment on ESPN called THE DECISION.... the anticipation is killing me.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not blaming the regime because they can't get Asomugha.

I'm blaming them because tHey can't get any body who is anybody.

We won't get Cromartie, we won't get Grimes, we won't get Joseph. If anything we might get another freak'n Carr.

That's the big splash Mcnair was talking about

Texans have made significant signings the last couple of years. They signed OG Wade Smith and he was a great addition to the O line. They signed the highest DE available in FA Antonio Smtih and he has been our best DL since he has been here.

They are not on the level of Aso, but nobody is. Please point to any other FA that is of the quality of Aso that the Texans have not gone after.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
And here is the latest.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the 49ers have jumped into the race to get free agent Nnamdi Asomugha under contract.
Lombardi calls the Niners the Jets "main competition," and assures "they are in it strong." San Francisco can clear a large amount of salary cap space by releasing Nate Clements, a move that would surely happen on Thursday if a deal with Asomugha was reached. Writers on the 49ers beat have been slightly skeptical of an Asomugha pursuit, but never ruled it out.

Still no sign of the Texans for those who still think that Rick Smith is capable of anything.

That would be funny if the 49ers did sign Aso. I'd love to hear that Smithiak apologists who use the excuses every year that big time free agents just won't come here because we're not a winning team if Aso ended up on a perrenial loser like the 49ers who haven't sniffed the playoffs since Garcia and Mooch were there. Plus, I'm terrified to see Aso on the same team as Revis.

I would imagine the location of the 49ers would be a big preference for Aso in this case. It's so close to Oakland, he wouldn't even have to move. Jim Harbaugh also seems like a coach he may want to play for, so I could see this happening.

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

The Media is always NY and east coast biased though.

But it's not even just about Aso. I'll be all on the FO also if we pass on Joseph, Cromartie, Weddle, etc etc. But it hasn't happened yet and those guys haven't signed any where yet and I'm sure they won't sign until Nnamdi does any ways.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 11:20 AM
And here is the latest.

Actually SF would be a solid fit for him. The division is weak, so SF could contend for years. SF is probably the most balanced of any of the teams in the division. I would prefer to see Aso in SF than NY.

Cjeremy635
07-27-2011, 11:20 AM
And here is the latest.

This.

I agree with others. I just want this thing to end. Either sign the guy or someone else. I will be royally pissed if they just stand around with their thumbs up their asses and don't do jack shit. That would be a terrible thing for the fanbase to have to put faith in.

Nawzer
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
And here is the latest.

I believe I mentioned the Niners as a serious possibility as well. Sometimes, I don't like it when I'm right.

thunderkyss
And here is the latest.

McNair better fire Rick Smith if he doesn't get Aso.

Grams
This.

I agree with others. I just want this thing to end. Either sign the guy or someone else. I will be royally pissed if they just stand around with their thumbs up their asses and don't do jack shit. That would be a terrible thing for the fanbase to have to put faith in.

The problem is, if we do not sign him, we will never know what the Texans did to try and get him.

Texecutioner
Its sad. As good as we are at PR... why doesn't that extend to PR to star players.

Mike

I've never thought we were good at PR personally. We just have a lot of fans in Houston that are fine with being mediocre and average. As long as we're not a 2-14 team, fans love football so much out here that they'll obviously still fill up a stadium. Until fans stop buying tickets, Bob sees no reason to change the status quo. He isn't a football guy that lives and dies on winning.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
This.

You don't need to worry. Nothing is gonna happen until this is decided.

beerlover
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
teams can visit with their own free agents right now, but not with free agents who didnít play for them in 2010.

DocBar
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I've never thought we were good at PR personally. We just have a lot of fans in Houston that are fine with being mediocre and average. As long as we're not a 2-14 team, fans love football so much out here that they'll obviously still fill up a stadium. Until fans stop buying tickets, Bob sees no reason to change the status quo. He isn't a football guy that lives and dies on winning.I think a lot of us remember 1994-2001. Wandering through the desert of no hometown team to root for.

Doppelganger
This.

Here is the thing, if Smith don't do anything, the team does not significantly improve, so Kubes and Smith are as good as gone after the seaosn. So they will have to do something.

I am guessing right now, they sign Carlos Roger to play CB, Sensabaugh as a Safety, and resign Leach.

BIG TORO
Well if he won't come down here I will move to NY!
:jk:

Texecutioner
I believe I mentioned the Niners as a serious possibility as well. Sometimes, I don't like it when I'm right.

Shoot, I hate being right about the Texans every year. I'm begging for an egg to be thrown on my face my Smithiaknair.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Texans have made significant signings the last couple of years. They signed OG Wade Smith and he was a great addition to the O line. They signed the highest DE available in FA Antonio Smtih and he has been our best DL since he has been here.

They are not on the level of Aso, but nobody is. Please point to any other FA that is of the quality of Aso that the Texans have not gone after.

Jacoby Jones & Damien Lewis.

My bad, we did go after them.

It really dent appear we are going after Aso.

We haven't made one positive addition to this team after theybswore we were going to be very active. This is ridiculous.

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM
McNair better fire Rick Smith if he doesn't get Aso.

Not gonna happen. All you can do is hope that he does after this season. But if the seats are filled up every week again, what will motivate Bob to do that next off season when it should have happened two off seasons ago. If the seats are filled I think Bob is fine with what we have personally.

thunderkyss
07-27-2011, 11:27 AM
teams can visit with their own free agents right now, but not with free agents who didnít play for them in 2010.

Where is Matt Hasselback playing in 2011?

The Pencil Neck
It amazes me how much things flip back and forth.

Prior to FA there are arguments about how much we want to pay Aso, whether he wants to come here, whether we should get one of the other CBs and a better safety upgrade, blah blah blah.

Then we're able to start talking to FAs and we're in the thick of the race for Aso and it appears we're offering him one of the biggest contracts. BUT he wants to go to NYC and offers to go to them for a lot less money than we're offering.

And then it becomes Aso or Mediocrity and Bob is cheap and we didn't even try and it's because our FO can't do anything.

If we offered Aso the biggest offer he got and he wanted to take a pay cut to go to NY, how does that show that Bob is cheap?

I want Aso. But I don't want him so much that I want to overpay for him. But we need to get one of the top CBs and one of the top Safeties.

Cjeremy635
The problem is, if we do not sign him, we will never know what the Texans did to try and get him.

I know. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during all of these discussions. As fans, we speculate that they don't do enough to solve some of the problems. In the end, that's all it is, speculation. They could be out there throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the guy, but we just assume that they aren't doing "enough" to get him. The reality is that if I was a FA and the Jets wanted me, I'd go and play for Rex in a heartbeat. I love that guy's personality and the how emotional he gets for his players. Those guys give it their all because they genuinely don't want to let him down. I can't say the same thing about our coach's & player's relationship. The players may say all the right things, but the on field results are what counts.

Maddict5

We haven't made one positive addition to this team after theybswore we were going to be very active. This is ridiculous.

ffs, there's been like 4 big signings.. mikell, santonio, ike taylor & charles johnson. dont get your panties in a bunch when about 80% of the good fa's are still unsigned

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM

They can talk to free agents that didn't play with them in 2010, they just can't meet with them face to face.

Mike

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM

He is currently meeting his new fan base.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/nickms/mugshot.jpg

beerlover
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM

teams can't meet with free agents from other teams face to face until Friday. I'm sure there are ways around this but surely nothing can be signed officially until then. These reports must be leaks through various sources of done deals in principle only.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
He is currently meeting his new fan base.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/nickms/mugshot.jpg

Repped

Mike

Doppelganger

Way to avoid the question.

I will ask you again. In previous year Offseasons, since Smith has been here, please name the free agent(s) that were on the level of Aso.

Jackie Chiles
San Francisco would have a great defense but who in the world is going to play QB for that team?

fiasco west
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
ffs, there's been like 4 big signings.. mikell, santonio, ike taylor & charles johnson. dont get your panties in a bunch when about 80% of the good fa's are still unsigned

Not sure how many times this needs to be said.

FA has just started. It's been said that most of the teams had to get a handle on the cap that's why there weren't many signings yesterday. Now we slowly start to see McNabb go, Hasslebeck go, Holmes go. I'm betting Nnamdi is another day away though.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Of which Santonio, Taylor, and Johnson reupped with their former teams.

There has been 1 big FA signing in which a player went to another team.

Maddict5
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
haha this thread is quickly going downhill...

jesus christ 'fire rick smith if he doesnt land aso'.. thats some real knowledgeable shit right there. hey i dont like smith as much as the next guy but hows is him not being able to force the marque FA to choose houston over a SB contender in a huge market city a fireable offence?

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM

I was wondering when this annual line was going to resurface for Smithiak on why they couldn't sign the big fish.

The classic "we don't know what went on," angle.

Like clock work every off season it just wasn't enough. It doesn't matter though because we've been on the right track for 5 years.

fiasco west
Lombardi just said on NFLN that 3 teams are strongly going after Nnamdi. He said he still thinks Houston is in it.

So people can chill out until the next tweet in about 20 mins that says "Nnamdi wants to go play in New York."

TheMatrix31
Lombardi just said we're still very in it.

DX-TEX
Im going back to last nights theory that this is all a ruse and a ploy by Namdis agent to get more money from the Texans. Handshake deal is done and he is coming here.

:fans:

DocBar
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I was wondering when this annual line was going to resurface for Smithiak on why they couldn't sign the big fish.

The classic "we don't know what went on," angle.

Like clock work every off season it just wasn't enough. It doesn't matter though because we've been on the right track for 5 years.It's like a good conspiracy theory: Impossible to prove or disprove by us.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM

jesus christ 'fire rick smith if he doesnt land aso'.. thats some real knowledgeable shit right there. hey i dont like smith as much as the next guy but hows is him not being able to force the marque FA to choose houston over a SB contender in a huge market city a fireable offence?

Fire Rick Smith becuase the team he constructed has not gotten to the playoffs. Fire Rick Smith becuase his drafting has been subpar. Fire Rick Smith becuase his decision to soley build through the draft and street FAs has been suspect.

Don't fire Rick Smtih becuase a player wanted to be elsewhere.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM

In defense of the OP (LOL) it did make it about 600 replys before it went down hill. I know the guy and he meant to have a good thread. :specnatz:

Mike

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM

SB contenders change every off season by what teams do to improve their teams. You sign Aso and other free agents quickly take notice that you're a team that is serious about contending. You sign the typical average free agent leftovers like the Texans do every off season and you're the typical Texans that have the same reputation as the Lions, Bills, and the Jags. People are tired of the status quo.

RagingBull
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Just reported that Jets resigned Santonio Holmes 5 years 50 million...can only help the Texans.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Just reported that Jets resigned Santonio Holmes 5 years 50 million...can only help the Texans.

Really? Thanks for the update.

Mike

The1ApplePie
07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
In defense of the OP (LOL) it did make it about 600 replys before it went down hill. I know the guy and he meant to have a good thread. :specnatz:

Mike

Should be proud

600 posts before going downhill has to be a TT record

Usually the NSZ makes it half a post before going tits-up

gary
07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
David Carr will be our big splash.

powda
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
49ers in the hunt. They are releasing David Carr and it looks like a move to spend more on aso...

Texans have allegedly contacted Weedle as well...

DocBar
David Carr will be our big splash.May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch.:strangle:

Ole Miss Texan
SB contenders change every off season by what teams do to improve their teams. You sign Aso and other free agents quickly take notice that you're a team that is serious about contending.
This is one of the most solid posts I've seen in this thread (definitely the last few pages)! I "get" players wanting to go to Super Bowl contenders, but like Tex said, contenders can easily change from one season to another. You see it just about every year, teams get substantially better. Other players will definitely take notice if the Texans can land Asomugha. Our franchise will be held with more respect in their minds and all of a sudden they're thinking to themselves "shoot, Texans are serious, they've got talent at every single level of their offense and defense. I might have to sign with them."

Now I don't want to get the cart before the horse here, but how much more interest do you think Weddle would have in us if we've got Wade Phillips taking over the D, we just signed Nnamdi Freaking Asomugha, etc. etc. etc. Of course now that's a dream landing Aso AND Weddle but the point is he's much more interested in the Texans than before. Cut a couple players, restructure Schaub's contract and boom goes the dynamite!

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
This is one of the most solid posts I've seen in this thread (definitely the last few pages)! I "get" players wanting to go to Super Bowl contenders, but like Tex said, contenders can easily change from one season to another. You see it just about every year, teams get substantially better. Other players will definitely take notice if the Texans can land Asomugha. Our franchise will be held with more respect in their minds and all of a sudden they're thinking to themselves "shoot, Texans are serious, they've got talent at every single level of their offense and defense. I might have to sign with them."

Now I don't want to get the cart before the horse here, but how much more interest do you think Weddle would have in us if we've got Wade Phillips taking over the D, we just signed Nnamdi Freaking Asomugha, etc. etc. etc. Of course now that's a dream landing Aso AND Weddle but the point is he's much more interested in the Texans than before. Cut a couple players, restructure Schaub's contract and boom goes the dynamite!

By golly he's got it!! ^^^^^^

It becomes a domino effect. You make that big signing that gets everyone talking and excited and others want to become a part of that. It's exactly what Rex Ryan has done with the Jets, hence why Nnamdi has a very strong interest.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
LOL. The Jets are now in on Randy Moss too. Typical media hype nonsense.

El Tejano
07-27-2011, 11:55 AM
San Francisco would have a great defense but who in the world is going to play QB for that team?

VY for this year and then Andrew Luck next year.

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:55 AM
David Carr will be our big splash.

:hurrah: We could bring him in for more of the same PR!!

He could go back to the hair cutting sessions!! :hurrah:

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
VY for this year and then Andrew Luck next year.

I actually think VY would be a very good fit for them right now as a stop gap guy. It would be a much better plan that boring your fans with another Alex Smith retread season of fail.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Damn! Weddle re-signs with the team he's been with for years. This front office sucks!

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I always saw Vince Young in a Raiders uniform. Don't know that it will happen but it's one those things where I can close my eyes and I see him in that uniform.

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Damn! Weddle re-signs with the team he's been with for years. This front office sucks!

:bangsheadthroughabrickwall:

Dang, Mikell and Weddle now unavailable.

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I actually think VY would be a very good fit for them right now as a stop gap guy. It would be a much better plan that boring your fans with another Alex Smith retread season of fail.

Yeah, and who knows, maybe VY turns it on. With it looking likely that the Texans will just sign a cast off CB/S from another team, the Austin market will have no problem broadcasting SF games, especially since that city tries to be so much like SF.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Blame Smithiak for this evil transgression. I hope Weddle becomes possessed with the same curse that is under Reliant Stadium, obviously.

ThaShark316
07-27-2011, 12:01 PM

lmao

It was either SD, JAX or us IMO...

gary
07-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Damn! Weddle re-signs with the team he's been with for years. This front office sucks!Link?

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Blame Smithiak for this evil transgression. I hope Weddle becomes possessed with the same curse that is under Reliant Stadium, obviously.

Yes, I agree. Blame Smithiak for never, ever being able to get a top-notch free agent in their entire tenure here. Blame McNair for not having the balls to fire Kubiak and hire Cowher (who openly positioned for the job on CBS it seemed). Franchise built on the status quo is built on the status quo. Nothing any fans can do about it, tbh.

Astew10112
07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Isn't Michael Huff a FA? I don't hear many people talking about him.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Link?

It was on Twitter. NFLDraftInsider

Dutchrudder
Weddle agrees to terms with the Chargers.

And then there were 3...

Doppelganger
So yet another FA has returned to their team.

c10x
I still would rather have Huff than Weddle. I think their ability is closer than most think, and Huff would come cheaper.

c10x
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Yes he is. And I've been talking about him the entire off season.

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah, and who knows, maybe VY turns it on. With it looking likely that the Texans will just sign a cast off CB/S from another team, the Austin market will have no problem broadcasting SF games, especially since that city tries to be so much like SF.

Well the Niners are built to have a big running game. They don't really need a ridiculous passing attack. But they do have Crabtree and Davis there as good weapons and a pretty good D. With VY's legs and Gore in the running game, I could see this working. Maybe not long term, but possibly for a season or two.

Lol! about Austin wanting to be like Frisco. Repped!

Honoring Earl 34
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
If VY came to the Texans , McNair would have Burnt Orange sunday .

Surreal McCoy
It amazes me how much things flip back and forth.

Prior to FA there are arguments about how much we want to pay Aso, whether he wants to come here, whether we should get one of the other CBs and a better safety upgrade, blah blah blah.

Then we're able to start talking to FAs and we're in the thick of the race for Aso and it appears we're offering him one of the biggest contracts. BUT he wants to go to NYC and offers to go to them for a lot less money than we're offering.

And then it becomes Aso or Mediocrity and Bob is cheap and we didn't even try and it's because our FO can't do anything.

If we offered Aso the biggest offer he got and he wanted to take a pay cut to go to NY, how does that show that Bob is cheap?

I want Aso. But I don't want him so much that I want to overpay for him. But we need to get one of the top CBs and one of the top Safeties.

Careful. Logic like that is, at best, frowned upon here.

PS - Rep'd

redwhiteANDblue
I can't take this suspense anymore!! I'm checking this site every 5 seconds for something! I'm losing brain cells hitting my head on the wall every time I see nothing! COME ON RICK DO SOMETHING BEFORE I GO CRAZY:brickwall:

c10x
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't see why Philly doesn't sign VY. Then they can rotate QBs the way you do other positions, and not change scheme between a pocket passer and a scrambler. Not to mention the beating each QB would take would be far less.

I understand theres a rhythm to playing QB, but if you have a scrambler who is too beat up to play well in weeks 15,16,17 - isn't that more important than rhythm?

gary
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
It was on Twitter. NFLDraftInsiderRick Smith at work do not expect to sign ASO.

Cerberus
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
As much as I would like Aso, I agree that no player is worth "breaking the bank" for unless he's a proven pro-bowl quarterback in his prime...And other than a once-in-a-decade chance, how often does that happen?

Most of these unbelievably expensive free agents usually fall well short of their pay more often than not.

Texans can have Huff as far as I'm concerned, being a Raider fan; so what does that tell you about him?

Nams would definitely be a great acquisition, he is everything they say he is. And not only is he a great DB, but outside of football he is a great person. Whoever ends up with Nams will be glad they got him, and proud that he wears their colors.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Not seeing the Seedless to SD stuff. Can I get a source?

Astew10112
07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Texans can have Huff as far as I'm concerned, being a Raider fan; so what does that tell you about him?

Nams would definitely be a great acquisition, he is everything they say he is. And not only is he a great DB, but outside of football he is a great person. Whoever ends up with Nams will be glad they got him, and proud that he wears their colors.

Just curious, what's the knock on Huff. Do you look at him as a one hit wonder? He had a great yr last season, right?

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Not seeing the Seedless to SD stuff. Can I get a source?

His agent, I presume, just tweeted:

"Congratulations to DEC MANAGEMENT client Eric Weddle on becoming the highest paid safety in NFL history. San Diego Super Chargers"

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Interesting:

Dozens of you have alerted us to something on the Eagles’ website that could be interpreted as indicating that a deal that would send quarterback Kevin Kolb to the Cardinals for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is done.

The Eagles are selling Rodgers-Cromartie jerseys on their website.

It’s not a front-page thing. Instead, the name appears as an option under the “Select a Player” option when purchasing an authentic jersey.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/eagles-website-offers-rodgers-cromartie-jerseys/

Errant Hothy
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
His agent, I presume, just tweeted:

"Congratulations to DEC MANAGEMENT client Eric Weddle on becoming the highest paid safety in NFL history. San Diego Super Chargers"

A pity he isn't worth being the highest paid safety in the NFL.

Cerberus
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Just curious, what's the knock on Huff. Do you look at him as a one hit wonder? He had a great yr last season, right?

It's like he is always one-step behind, or taking bad angles. He probably wouldn't be as bad in a different system that runs a lot of zone, but if your defense depends on your safety to be a safety-net, don't count on Huff.

Ryan
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
If Lombardi actually broke a news story i would literally sh*t myself. That being said, i think things are a bit too quiet on the Nnamdi front and i think he's already signed with someone.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
If Lombardi actually broke a news story i would literally sh*t myself. That being said, i think things are a bit too quiet on the Nnamdi front and i think he's already signed with someone.

I hope something happens quickly either way so I can go to sleep. Late nap last night + FA excitement + trade excitement in baseball + living on the West Coast = no sleep for me yet.

c10x
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Huff was named All Pro last season. Not pro bowl. All pro.

He is certainly worthy of being signed.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Everyone's staying with their own teams. DeAngelo now.

Free Agent Bonanza has been somewhat of a bust.....so far.

texasguy346
07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Lombardi just said on NFLN that it's a three team race for Namdi between NYJ, texans, & 49ers

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Everyone's staying with their own teams. DeAngelo now.

Free Agent Bonanza has been somewhat of a bust.....so far.

You can blame Smtih for not going after DeAngelo. A real GM would have made it happen.

:sarcasm:

ThaShark316
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Lombardi just said on NFLN that it's a three team race for Namdi between NYJ, texans, & 49ers

Expected...

redwhiteANDblue
07-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Wait what? When did the 49ers get in this race?? But I'm sure nnamdi would choose us over 49ers anyways

J_R
07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Weddle got himself a nice contract. 5 years 40 mil 19 guaranteed

I think the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha is a real story. For those who think the cap would prohibit it, understand this: The Jets could let free agents Antonio Cromartie and Braylon Edwards walk -- those two would be $10 million to $12 million on the cap, potentially, in 2011 -- and they could re-do the contracts of Mark Sanchez and Darrelle Revis, and they could whittle linebacker David Harris' 2011 cap hit from $10 million to about $7 million by turning his one-year deal into a multiyear contract. If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy.
2. I think if you are Texans GM Rick Smith or Jerry Jones of the Cowboys, you know this: You're going to have to offer more money, and maybe much more, to make sure Asomugha stays off Broadway.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/07/27/mail/index.html#ixzz1TKQTQjqY

Astew10112
07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Anyone here think we try and trade for a CB if we strike out on Joseph and Aso?

Also, what about safety prospects like Dawn Landry, (previously mentioned) Michael Huff. I think they're decent players, but more importantly massive upgrades to what we currently have.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I would say Sensabaugh is a lock at safety here. Wades guy.

Texas T
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Has anyone seen anything on Joseph???

Very silent on his front...

Grams
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=texasguy346;1732755]Lombardi just said on NFLN that it's a three team race for Namdi between NYJ, texans, & 49ers[/QUOTES

So he will probably sign with the Cowboys.

redwhiteANDblue
Is sensabaugh good? Have never seen him play or heard about him

J_R
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Jets are prepared to pay free agent Nnamdi Asomugha $12 million a year.
The question is whether that will cut it for Asomugha, who at the start of free agency was rumored to be commanding upwards of $20 million per season. In the story linked below, SI's Peter King insists, "If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy." The Jets, for now, look to be the front-runners for Asomugha. But the 49ers are pushing hard according to multiple reports, and the Texans look to still have some interest. Jul 27, 1:43 PM

nero THE zero
07-27-2011, 12:51 PM
We are going to sign Cromartie and Sensabaugh.

Classic Texans for you.

midgetonadonkey
07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

From what I've heard he isn't.

Errant Hothy
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Has anyone seen anything on Joseph???

Very silent on his front...

He and his agent are waiting to for Aso to set the level.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
We are going to sign Carlos Rogers and Sensabaugh.

Classic Texans for you.

Fixed it for you

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I cant imagine 12 million getting it done.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM

12 mill and pics of Ryans wife feet?

HTown2ATX
07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Careful. Logic like that is, at best, frowned upon here.

PS - Rep'd

For me it's not about Bob being cheap or whatever....

It's if we don't get Nnamdi, it just continues the path of the Texans somehow, for whatever reason you want to assign, of never seeming to make a splash, a headline grabbing, game changing FA acquisition.

I'm not too upset right now one way or the other. If we do get Nnamdi that FINALLY maybe we can break that cycle and I'll be excited for obvious reasons.

If not, it's back to the Wal-Mart $5 DVD clearance bin of FA's like normal and thus marks the beginning of another year where we wait for next year.

#Reality

It sux sometimes.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
My belief is that if you hear anything about Joseph before late Thurs/Early Friday it'll be him re-signing with the Bengals, so no news, is good news.

HoustonFrog
07-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Not as good as he thinks he is. He is average. The Cowboys need a safety. That should tell you something.

HoustonFrog
07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Anyone here think we try and trade for a CB if we strike out on Joseph and Aso?

Also, what about safety prospects like Dawn Landry, (previously mentioned) Michael Huff. I think they're decent players, but more importantly massive upgrades to what we currently have.

I heard he is a Jag now that they couldn't get Weddle.

Texecutioner

I can't either. If that's all that they can do financially, then the Texans have a damn good shot. They'd just have to slug it out with the 49ers and there would be no excuse than to go balls to the wall to get this done. If that is all the Jets can possibly afford than the Texans had better be beating his door down and doing everything imaginable, because this is a very realistic signing if the Jets don't have the money work with. I'm still not confident in anything though, because of who are GM/coach and owner are.

Texas T
He and his agent are waiting to for Aso to set the level.

I was thinking this too, but I was looking for someone else to say it out loud.

My belief is that if you hear anything about Joseph before late Thurs/Early Friday it'll be him re-signing with the Bengals, so no news, is good news.

I can buy this too.

Hopefully if Aso goes to NY or SF we will quickly hear that Joseph is coming here.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Not as good as he thinks he is. He is average. The Cowboys need a safety. That should tell you something.

I consolation LaConfora said it comes down between the Cowboys and Texans on him.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I consolation LaConfora said it comes down between the Cowboys and Texans on him.

Meh signing in my eyes. I think Michael Huff would be waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Sens unless he is trying to get a huge Weddle-ish contract. Goddamn that contract is huge.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I can't either. If that's all that they can do financially, then the Texans have a damn good shot. They'd just have to slug it out with the 49ers and there would be no excuse than to go balls to the wall to get this done. If that is all the Jets can possibly afford than the Texans had better be beating his door down and doing everything imaginable, because this is a very realistic signing if the Jets don't have the money work with. I'm still not confident in anything though, because of who are GM/coach and owner are.

If the numbers the Jets have is 12, then the Texans must offer 15.5 or 16. Then if he goes to NY, its becuase he wanted NY and turned down money.

Section516
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
For those wondering about Nnamdi and the Jets, it may be a squeeze to their cap, but the Jets are trying. That deal won't happen fast.

ClaytonESPN John Clayton

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 01:03 PM

My understanding is that the Beagles are one of the teams that NEEDS to spend money just to make the min requirement of the salary cap, so I would expect the Bengals to offer Joseph a pretty big deal by end of this week.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
My understanding is that the Beagles are one of the teams that NEEDS to spend money just to make the min requirement of the salary cap, so I would expect the Bengals to offer Joseph a pretty big deal by end of this week.

You would think so but Mike Brown. . .

Texecutioner
07-27-2011, 01:09 PM
If the numbers the Jets have is 12, then the Texans must offer 15.5 or 16. Then if he goes to NY, its becuase he wanted NY and turned down money.

Not just that. That would be because we didn't have a HC/GM combo that had a clue on how to sell this franchise the same way that Rex Ryan has been able to do. I've heard countless players over the years that were big time free agents talk about how they were going to sign here or there, but when they visited a team or talked to a certain coach or GM, that they were sold on their vision for the team and what their role was going to be. It's the same thing when a highly touted HC is looking for a new place to coach when a lot of teams are after their services. It's up to the owner and their current GM to sell that hot commodity of a HC on the future of that franchise with them as a huge important piece to build it with. With players it's the same thing. It's about money of course, but players want to go to a coach that they feel they can get excited for and a team that they feel like will be highly committed to building a SB winner. It's up to the HC/GM to make different players believers in that.

The only player that Gary Kubiak has ever been successful in doing that with and went all out for like that was Matt Schaub when they had their little golf game.

If we can offer 3 or 4 Mill more than the Jets, there is no excuse at all as to why we couldn't sign him. That's a ton of extra money. That would mean we have no idea on how to close a big time deal.

Porky
07-27-2011, 01:09 PM
If I am Rick Smith, I am also certainly playing up the no state income tax and overall MUCH lower bite on taxes in Texas vs. NY. So you not only have the leverage to beat the deal on pure numbers, but you can also save him a ton more in taxes. A penny saved is a penny earned. Just depends on what is motivating him more. We also have a ton of strip clubs if that helps. :spin:

gary
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Any news on Cromartie or Grimes?

Ryan
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM
If I am Rick Smith, I am also certainly playing up the no state income tax and overall MUCH lower bite on taxes in Texas vs. NY. So you not only have the leverage to beat the deal on pure numbers, but you can also save him a ton more in taxes. A penny saved is a penny earned. Just depends on what is motivating him more. We also have a ton of strip clubs if that helps. :spin:

Ask the Astros how that worked with Beltran. :strangle:

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Nope. LaConfora on NFLN says that he believes Aso's deal will be done tonight and that will start a snowball on CB deals.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Those guys (along with Joseph) probably won't get play until Aso is resolved.

Aso is the top tog.

Same with the safeties and Weddle. With Weddle off the market, now the other safeties can start to filter out. (I was surprised Mikell already agreed to terms. I would have liked to have taken a look at him.)

Cerberus
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
I hope something happens quickly either way so I can go to sleep. Late nap last night + FA excitement + trade excitement in baseball + living on the West Coast = no sleep for me yet.

Did you see my Pirates get hosed last night in the 19th?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3aH2F2a34

Allstar
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Whether we get him or not, I'm just ready for a god damn answer.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM

I'm a Braves fan....yep. That was the biggest bullshit I've ever seen in my life.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Jabar Gaffney to Washington. Takes them out of Braylon Edwards too. Good sign for us, perhaps.

Doppelganger
07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Nope. LaConfora on NFLN says that he believes Aso's deal will be done tonight and that will start a snowball on CB deals.

Ok folks. The first timetable.

Tonight.

badboy
07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Why would the Jets or any team let out such a small number on Aso? I could see it if the number was huge like the Ainsworht contract to scare off teams but this?

Ryan
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Ok folks. The first timetable.

Tonight.

Get ready to see Aso on Monday, August 15th!!!!!!

In gang green.

Rey
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Those guys (along with Joseph) probably won't get play until Aso is resolved.

Aso is the top tog.

Same with the safeties and Weddle. With Weddle off the market, now the other safeties can start to filter out. (I was surprised Mikell already agreed to terms. I would have liked to have taken a look at him.)

There are plenty of teams that are not in the "top dog" market and will go straight for one of the guys lower on the totem pole.

michaelm
07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
There are plenty of teams that are not in the "top dog" market and will go straight for one of the guys lower on the totem pole.

Agreed. Look no further than the Houston Texans.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 01:29 PM

And, yet, we hear nothing about them.

TheMatrix31
Aso decision tonight? Good, maybe I should go sleep, lol.

Cerberus
I'm a Braves fan....yep. That was the biggest bullshit I've ever seen in my life.

I don't know about that. I'm a Raider fan and the Snow-Job/Tuck-Rule game was pretty much bullshit.

srrono
07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
i hear sf is in the picture for aso but i just read Frank Gore will hold out absent new deal hopefully thats holds them up a bit

The Pencil Neck
Agreed. Look no further than the Houston Texans.

If that were the case, we would have already signed Sensabaugh and Drayton Florence.

TheMatrix31
I don't know about that. I'm a Raider fan and the Snow-Job/Tuck-Rule game was pretty much bullshit.

Yeah that too.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM

WTF? That was ridiculous. Exactly why baseball needs to embrace instant replay.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Wow @ Olindo Mare's contract. 4 years, 12 million, 4 million bonus.

michaelm
07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
If that were the case, we would have already signed Sensabaugh and Drayton Florence.

I was agreeing that the Texans "will go straight for one of the guys lower on the totem pole", not that the lower guys on the totem pole would go for the Texans.

:fingergun:

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok a couple interesting tweets from Lance Z:

LanceZierleinLance Zierlein
If the Texans cut Amobio, Orlovsky and Slaton, they will save almost $7 million dollars according to salary figures from Rotoworld.com

6 minutes ago

LanceZierleinLance Zierlein
@hlmjohnson They are in my opinion. All teams are quiet when they go after players. Rarely teams announce it publically... lose leverage

3 minutes ago

Second one was when asked if the Texans were making a legit offer to Aso.

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Not just that. That would be because we didn't have a HC/GM combo that had a clue on how to sell this franchise the same way that Rex Ryan has been able to do. I've heard countless players over the years that were big time free agents talk about how they were going to sign here or there, but when they visited a team or talked to a certain coach or GM, that they were sold on their vision for the team and what their role was going to be. It's the same thing when a highly touted HC is looking for a new place to coach when a lot of teams are after their services. It's up to the owner and their current GM to sell that hot commodity of a HC on the future of that franchise with them as a huge important piece to build it with. With players it's the same thing. It's about money of course, but players want to go to a coach that they feel they can get excited for and a team that they feel like will be highly committed to building a SB winner. It's up to the HC/GM to make different players believers in that.

The only player that Gary Kubiak has ever been successful in doing that with and went all out for like that was Matt Schaub when they had their little golf game.

If we can offer 3 or 4 Mill more than the Jets, there is no excuse at all as to why we couldn't sign him. That's a ton of extra money. That would mean we have no idea on how to close a big time deal.

This is all well and good, but if the Texans do not have the money to offer 15-16 mil there is nothing to be done. Everything I have read was Texans were 118 mil against a 120-125mil cap. So who do you cut? where do you free the money to sign Aso? I don't see it happening. I see Aso going to one of those teams that needs to spend alot of money to just get within the salary cap.

If the Jets are going to pursue Aso, they are going to have to cut some significant money. I've read they are already sitting up against 120 mil...

guess we'll have to wit and see

HTown2ATX
07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
This is all well and good, but if the Texans do not have the money to offer 15-16 mil there is nothing to be done. Everything I have read was Texans were 118 mil against a 120-125mil cap. So who do you cut? where do you free the money to sign Aso? I don't see it happening. I see Aso going to one of those teams that needs to spend alot of money to just get within the salary cap.

If the Jets are going to pursue Aso, they are going to have to cut some significant money. I've read they are already sitting up against 120 mil...

Have to disagree. Plenty of fat can be cut from this team to make $$ avail.

Rey
07-27-2011, 01:37 PM
And, yet, we hear nothing about them.

Nothing?

You just mentioned mikel.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 01:37 PM
If we don't get Aso, I don't think it's because of a lack of trying or money.

TheMatrix31
07-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Be back in a while. Gonna sneak in some sleep.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Be back in a while. Gonna sneak in some sleep.

wimp.

Rey
I was agreeing that the Texans "will go straight for one of the guys lower on the totem pole", not that the lower guys on the totem pole would go for the Texans.

:fingergun:

Lmao!

Doppelganger
Time for a meeting. Will be gone about an hour. Knowing my luck something will happen.

texasguy346
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Prisco says the Texans made a late offer to Weddle but Jacksonville never got into the running. Glad we missed out on that one. He got crazy money.

Texanmike02
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/report-frank-gore-will-hold-out-absent-new-deal/#content

Gore will hold out? That has to help knock down sf a bit.

Mike

J_R
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Prisco says the Texans made a late offer to Weddle but Jacksonville never got into the running. Glad we missed out on that one. He got crazy money.

Houston was a late player for Weddle Tuesday night. Jax never made an offer.

http://twitter.com/#!/PriscoCBS/status/96286761801613312

nero THE zero
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM

It's a bit disheartening that this play is the only one getting attention, despite his horrendous strike zone the entire night (that resulted in the ejection of McClouth and Gonzales).

Pirates weren't the only ones that got jobbed in that game.

Allstar
07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
I have to admit, I thought all it would take to get Nnamdi is the most money. Looks like that might not be the case. It's only fitting that the only time the Texans decide to spend top dollar on an elite player it just so happens that he is one of the only guys in the league that isn't completely motivated by money.

badboy
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Second one was when asked if the Texans were making a legit offer to Aso.I posted the cap savings on these guys days ago. Not bragging just glad Lance agrees. BTW there are more savings available on other players.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM

Second one was when asked if the Texans were making a legit offer to Aso.

Interesting stuff really. I can only hope it's true, but I doubt we'll ever really know if he's not signed.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Per Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Jets are prepared to pay free agent Nnamdi Asomugha $12 million a year.

The question is whether that will cut it for Asomugha, who at the start of free agency was rumored to be commanding upwards of $20 million per season. In the story linked below, SI's Peter King insists, "If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy." The Jets, for now, look to be the front-runners for Asomugha. But the 49ers are pushing hard according to multiple reports, and the Texans look to still have some interest.

So the Texans have to offer 15 million or so?

Too high IMO.

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Have to disagree. Plenty of fat can be cut from this team to make $$ avail.

where? There is nobody on the Texans team that is getting "overpaid" to cut and won't hurt the cap. They still haven't even signed their draft picks yet. So if you cut some, it's gonna get sucked up by the rookie contracts....

Everybody making significant money on the Texans are all big players that are absolutely needs.

I would absolutely love to see Aso in a Texans uni, but reality is telling me they do not have the money. Hope I am wrong but I don't think I am.

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I posted the cap savings on these guys days ago. Not bragging just glad Lance agrees. BTW there are omore savings available on other players.
I think you may have brought up David Anderson too, another $1M? I like him a lot and think we need a player that fits that role but we've got a lot of receiving threats. Jeff Maehl could surpris people, plus Toliver plus Dickerson plus Jacoby plus Walter plus all our TEs.

Rey
07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I love how everyone is a cap expert.

No one really knows what teams can do to make the cap work.

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 02:06 PM

Kinda like how everyone is a better GM than the one getting paid professionally? nobody has to be an expert, just what has been reported and read. Texans do not have enough to sign Aso, from everything being reported and talked about on radio and net....

Robbing Peter to Pay Aso isn't a logical solution...IMO

Rey
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I think you may have brought up David Anderson too, another $1M? I like him a lot and think we need a player that fits that role but we've got a lot of receiving threats. Jeff Maehl could surpris people, plus Toliver plus Dickerson plus Jacoby plus Walter plus all our TEs.

We could keep six if we went with one fb this year and three te's.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM

Re-structuring big contracts and cutting players that are due to make more money than they are worth are kind of it. Can also fenagle new contracts so that the big hits to the cap are done down the line (So that they don't hit at the same time as other big contracts).

The only thing the new CBA seemed to get rid of were the Tampa Bay and Cincinatti specials of putting huge bonuses in a contract with unattainable parameters (block 5 punts in a season, register a sack for offensive players, etc etc). The cap is also calculated at the end of the year this year, so you can sign whoever you want, play out the season and re-negotiate/cut players to get yourself there.

A good cap person can get almost any team under the cap it seems if we look at the last decade in the NFL.

Astew10112
07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
We could keep six if we went with one fb this year and three te's.

I'm a capologist. Chill out homie... :fingergun:

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Re-structuring big contracts and cutting players that are due to make more money than they are worth are kind of it. Can also fenagle new contracts so that the big hits to the cap are done down the line (So that they don't hit at the same time as other big contracts).

The only thing the new CBA seemed to get rid of were the Tampa Bay and Cincinatti specials of putting huge bonuses in a contract with unattainable parameters (block 5 punts in a season, register a sack for offensive players, etc etc). The cap is also calculated at the end of the year this year, so you can sign whoever you want, play out the season and re-negotiate/cut players to get yourself there.

A good cap person can get almost any team under the cap it seems if we look at the last decade in the NFL.

Do we believe the Texans have this person in the FO? I don't...

buddyboy
07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Alright, so if the Jets sign him for the supposed 12 mil/year and factoring in their discount (given their New York location, Revis, and winning organization), will you blame the Texans?

Or would you just chalk this up to the Jets making an irresistible offer?

Rey
07-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Kinda like how everyone is a better GM than the one getting paid professionally? nobody has to be an expert, just what has been reported and read. Texans do not have enough to sign Aso, from everything being reported and talked about on radio and net....

Knowing whether or not a team can manipulate the cap to fit their needs is not even close to recognizing when a gm has done a poor job bringing talent in.

Sure the texans don't have enough to sign aso. That's why they are pursuing him. . Cuz they don't have the money to sign him.

If that's the case the gm and organization is worse than I thought.

b0ng
07-27-2011, 02:11 PM

I don't either, but it is most certainly possible to do, even if your team is terrible (Redskins, Raiders).

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Knowing whether it not a team can manipulate the cap to fit their needs is not even close to recognizing when a gm has done a poor job bringing talent in.

Sure the texans don't have enough to sign aso. That's why they are pursuing him. . Cuz they don't have the money to sign him.

If that's the case the gm and organization is worse than I thought.

Are they? I have yet to read anything saying they are actually pursuing Aso at this moment. All I have read is the Jets. Maybe they are keeping it close to the vest, don't understand why, but I don't think they are pursuing Aso, I think they have already ran the numbers and are looking for other options... Like I said JMO....

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't either, but it is most certainly possible to do, even if your team is terrible (Redskins, Raiders).

Oh I agree that it is possible to do, the Patriots, Steelers and a number of other teams have proven their model works. I just have little faith in the Texans FO to be able to really sit down and find the money it would take to launch this team into contention....

I mean have they ever given you or I any reason to think they could do so?

HTown2ATX
07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Oh I agree that it is possible to do, the Patriots, Steelers and a number of other teams have proven their model works. I just have little faith in the Texans FO to be able to really sit down and find the money it would take to launch this team into contention....

This is basically what I was saying earlier. That was misunderstood maybe?

Ole Miss Texan
07-27-2011, 02:19 PM

Chris Olsen enters his fourth season with the Texans and first as the team’s vice president of football administration. He spent 13 years working at the NFL league office in New York. Olsen’s primary responsibility with the Texans is to work closely with general manager Rick Smith on negotiating player contracts and managing the salary cap.

Olsen served as the manager of labor operations with the NFL Management Council from 1999-2006. He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure teams were in compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and salary cap. He provided assistance to club executives pertaining to player-related areas of the CBA. He also served as a League liaison to the NFL Players Association regarding player contract matters.

I don't know... but I think we're alright. Have we had serious problems with our cap situations historically? I don't know what all the fuss is about.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/staff/chris-olsen/60032eb8-d2f1-471d-9902-4842f91a411d

BullNation4Life
07-27-2011, 02:21 PM
This is basically what I was saying earlier. That was misunderstood maybe?

And this is the damn shame of it all. Other teams shoot for the moon and if they miss, they are still amongst the stars....

The Texans FO shoots for the upper atmosphere and tend to land flat on their faces back on Earth....

b0ng
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Pats and the Steelers aren't really known for going out and signing FA's to gazillion dollar contracts.

To be fair, when they said they were going to go after a DE in the '09 season, they did go out and get the best DE that didn't get franchised and paid him maybe a tad more than what he was worth.

I don't think it totally absolves them for not getting any playmakers in '10 but this would be the time for redemption with how chock full this FA class is, and how much other teams are having to cut just to get under the cap.

TEXANS84
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Chris Olsen had every players contract in the NFL hit his desk for 13 years, I'd say we definitley have the right person.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Nothing?

You just mentioned mikel.

Who I specifically mentioned was an exception.

Vinnie
07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
The Jets just posted a video on their website that reads "NFLN: Staying Holmes; Santonio signs, Nnamdi next?". Not a good sign IMHO.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/NFLN-Staying-Holmes-Santonio-signs-Nnamdi-next/82c6fb31-814e-42f2-a9b8-bc386bc72122

badboy
I think you may have brought up David Anderson too, another $1M? I like him a lot and think we need a player that fits that role but we've got a lot of receiving threats. Jeff Maehl could surpris people, plus Toliver plus Dickerson plus Jacoby plus Walter plus all our TEs.$1.44 in his last year.2011: $1.44 million, 2012: Free Agent

Andre Davis $3.45m

Now that JJ has re-signed do we need either of these guys. I want to see more of Dorian Dickerson.

DX-TEX
I still feel like my theory from last night may hold true. Texans have a deal with Aso and his agent is using these teams as leverage to get more. Seems now the max the Jets can give him is 12 million a year. Now Aso's agent goes to the Texans and says beat this.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2011, 02:25 PM
$1.44 in his last year.2011: $1.44 million, 2012: Free Agent

Andre Davis $3.45m

Now that JJ has re-signed do we need either of these guys. I want to see more of Dorian Dickerson.

Davis was cut some time ago and should be off the cap this year as far as I know.

mariowillshine15
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
I still feel like my theory from last night may hold true. Texans have a deal with Aso and his agent is using these teams as leverage to get more. Seems now the max the Jets can give him is 12 million a year. Now Aso's agent goes to the Texans and says beat this.

It makes sense considering we haven't been connected to any other corners.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Are they? I have yet to read anything saying they are actually pursuing Aso at this moment. All I have read is the Jets. Maybe they are keeping it close to the vest, don't understand why, but I don't think they are pursuing Aso, I think they have already ran the numbers and are looking for other options... Like I said JMO....

I've read a lot of things saying they're actively pursuing Aso. And they made an offer to Weddle, too.

Ryan
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
The Jets just posted a video on their website that reads "NFLN: Staying Holmes; Santonio signs, Nnamdi next?". Not a good sign IMHO.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/NFLN-Staying-Holmes-Santonio-signs-Nnamdi-next/82c6fb31-814e-42f2-a9b8-bc386bc72122

That really doesn't mean anything.

jaayteetx
07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
NFL Network seems to stand for "New York Football League". All New York, all the time.

Rey
07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Who I specifically mentioned was an exception.

No you said you were surprised.

There have been a few teams signing their own guys and not waiting to see what the top player at their position is doing.

badboy
07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Do we believe the Texans have this person in the FO? I don't...Yes we do, Chris Olsen was hired directly from NFL and has used his knowledge to get Texans out of bad contracts and has reduce dead money to about $23,000 this season. He works with Smith on structuring contracts.

HoustonFrog
07-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Or instead of saving cash you can throw 5.5 mil at Leinart.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Or instead of saving cash you can throw 5.5 mil at Leinart.

Or you have a deal done with Aso and have already accounted for his money.....

welsh texan
07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Anybody else wonder if all this posturing from the Jets is aimed at getting Cromartie to sign on the dotted line without testing the market too much.

Overrated or not Cromartie is a pretty good #2 CB.

In a similar vein we just went out and signed a bunch of promising UDFA WR's and stoked a bit of chatter about Plax before re-signing JJ to a reasonable deal, sure you could look at the Full Back situation in a similar way, just whether or not Leach Re-up's remains to be seen.

Or am I clutching at straws?

badboy
07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Davis was cut some time ago and should be off the cap this year as far as I know.But off what number? The $120m or the last known list of roster salaries (2010)? Hard to find out what the 2011 player money is. My research shows 2010 roster was $92,947,804 with Davis, E. Wilson and Jacques Reeves included. These three total a bit over $10m

markn
07-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Isn't it more likely that the opposite is true- i.e. that the agent would use a desperate team's (Texans) superior offer as leverage to get a better deal from his preferred destination (NYJ)?

badboy
07-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Anybody else wonder if all this posturing from the Jets is aimed at getting Cromartie to sign on the dotted line without testing the market too much.

Overrated or not Cromartie is a pretty good #2 CB.

In a similar vein we just went out and signed a bunch of promising UDFA WR's and stoked a bit of chatter about Plax before re-signing JJ to a reasonable deal, sure you could look at the Full Back situation in a similar way, just whether or not Leach Re-up's remains to be seen.

Or am I clutching at straws?Possible scenario.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Isn't it more likely that the opposite is true- i.e. that the agent would use a desperate team's (Texans) superior offer as leverage to get a better deal from his preferred destination (NYJ)?

Go back tpo last nights posts around midnight. We discussed that scenario as well and its a crazy theory but it does have some reports that help to reinforce it.

Vinnie
07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
That really doesn't mean anything.

Maybe it doesn't, but you sure don't see any word of Nnamdi on the Texans' official website.

Maybe I'm just having paranoia flashbacks of Carlos Beltran.

Big Lou
07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Or you have a deal done with Aso and have already accounted for his money.....

I hope you are right. I signed up for Google Alerts for anything Aso or Houston Texan related. Everytime my BlackBerry goes off I get all excited.

Aso would be great, but I'll tae Joseph and Sensabaugh. If we can land one of these CB's and a solid Safety I will be giddy about this year!!!!

Its time to make a run, AJ deserves a shot at the SB, we can't do to AJ what we did to Earl Campbell.

euro-Texan
07-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I hate to be a downer, but I just don't see ASO coming here. Quality F/A use our team as a way to get better bids from the teams they WANT to play with. I don't remember the Fat Albert or the Peppers signing being much of a secret or any hessitation on their press release.

I'd love to have ASO and be the talk of the NFL media for something other than rosencopter or the hail mary in Jax, but I think people are getting themselves worked up for a big let down.

DX-TEX
07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I hate to be a downer, but I just don't see ASO coming here. Quality F/A use our team as a way to get better bids from the teams they WANT to play with. I don't remember the Fat Albert or the Peppers signing being much of a secret or any hessitation on their press release.

I'd love to have ASO and be the talk of the NFL media for something other than rosencopter or the hail mary in Jax, but I think people are getting themselves worked up for a big let down.

No one saw Haynesworth coming.

Ryan
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM

That's why i refuse. I'm going to the gym and getting my Arian Foster on in Yoga. Severe stress relief. Hopefully all this nonsense is over when i get back.

euro-Texan
07-27-2011, 03:13 PM
No one saw Haynesworth coming.

That's because he was signed 11 seconds after midnight when free agency began. No waiting involved.