PDA

View Full Version : The Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Texecutioner
07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
This is what some are forgetting in comparing 2-3 players to Aso. You have no guarantee we could sign all of the others in any comparison. If you get Nnamdi, he is in the bag, if you sign Weddle for example, we still have to sign another CB.

Plus, guys see a guy like Nnamdi sign here, and then the rest are like "okay these Texans aren't playing around anymore. Let me give them some serious consideration. " That would make a statement.

Ryan
07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I would put more credence into this if Scheftfer was reporting it. I lost a lot of repspect for Mort with the garbage he kept tweeting during the lockout.

Schefter confirmed pretty much the same thing on NFL Live that it's down to NYJ and us.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I think Rick Smith is still reading the new CBA......

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Schefter confirmed pretty much the same thing on NFL Live that it's down to NYJ and us.

When did this happen? Why wasnt I informed? Come on people support me here. We are through the looking glass! I need vids STAT!

Allstar
07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
When did this happen? Why wasnt I informed? Come on people support me here. We are through the looking glass! I need vids STAT!

it was earlier in the thread djohn said he heard it on Sportscenter.

badboy
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
It's funny that now all of a sudden with the lockout over.. all this Nnamdi talk going on.. I don't recall reading much of it the last few months, but the "talk" that he is high on the Texans list and that "he" might come here has sure seemed to get ya'lls panties wet...

Continue on !!!You just need to visit board more often. Not knocking you but it would be like you having the opportunity to get your favorite anything, car, boat, plane, train, girlfriend, or job that you thought would take you to heights you have only dreamed about. I don't wear panties, but the hope he may sign and takes us to the Super Bowl is very exciting for those of us who enjoy football.

badboy
07-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Much like the lockout... as stated.. until it's done, nothing matters.. !Sex ain't much until it happens but it sure gets talked about a lot.

Ole Miss Texan
07-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Sex ain't much until it happens but it sure gets talked about a lot.

:ahhaha: must spread rep, must. spread. rep.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
You just need to visit board more often. Not knocking you but it would be like you having the opportunity to get your favorite anything, car, boat, plane, train, girlfriend, or job that you thought would take you to heights you have only dreamed about. I don't wear panties, but the hope he may sign and takes us to the Super Bowl is very exciting for those of us who enjoy football.

You serious?? Visit more often.. heck, I have been on here since day 1, back when it was the official board over at HT.com !! This offseason I stayed off for reasons of the lockout because there was too much speculation over stuff that nobody knew anything about and the crap that was coming from ESPN and the NFLN !! Until it was over, it wasn't over !

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Sex ain't much until it happens but it sure gets talked about a lot.

I don't talk about it.. Now TB on the other hand, he's still holding out for VY !!

GP
07-26-2011, 04:31 PM
No. You were talking about how teams would scheme against him. That in itself is bogus, because qb's would still go after him. Not as much as the second or third corner but he would get his fair share of throws at him.

Also, even if he has completely shut down a receiver how is that not beneficial to the team as a whole?

Why allocate resources that way when you have a player that is interested in you that would elevate the play of the entire defense?

You would rather bank on getting two or three solid players rather than getting one franchise guy?

When your plan backfires and one or two of the guys you are targeting goes elsewhere then what? Just pick from the leftovers.

That makes no sense to me. You have the top rated player at his position, and it's a position we sorely need and you want to pass him over for Eric weddle and tier 3 corner?

If the money is not outrageous you stretch your pockets a bit and go for the stars. And you know the corny saying. . If you miss then you Langdon the moon.

Allocating resources is just code for being good in a few places while not being great at any. We have a lot of good on this team. It'd be nice to have some greatness.

Is it just me, or does Eric Weddle as a Safety make me have the same "meh" feelings as I have for Ike Taylor as a CB?

I feel like both those guys are benefiting from superior secondary play that's happening AROUND them. Isolate them off, onto the Texans secondary, and I don't know that they're all that great here.

I dunno. I have a feeling the Jets or Ravens will land Aso. I have a feeling the best scenario we're going to end up with is a CB/S combo of some sort, and it will probably be guys we've never even discussed on here much. It might even be guys who are cut, so those teams can make room for the Ike Taylors or the Josephs or the Aso's of the NFL, and we get the cut casualties.

And as I sit here and read all of you guys' thoughts, it can't just be as simplistic as either (a) Aso and that's it, nor (b) A CB--Taylor or Joseph--and a Safety (Weddle). There's no telling what we're going to see. Amobi might still be here, for all we know. There's no specific rhyme or reason, IMO.

I suggest everybody scale back their emotional investment into these types of threads the day before free agency hits. You're going to want to go for a long walk, clear your head of the past 6 months of speculation, and be ready to see what we DO end up with the day of free agency.

I, for one, am just glad that we have football back in the first place. I'd rather root for a Nnamdi-less or Weddle-less Texans team than to have no team to root for at all.

Lots of people are going to drink a beer on free agency day, and I think they're going to spit the beer out. Call me crazy, but there's so many various options the Texans can pursue--and it might not even be on defense!--and the expectations should probably return to planet earth.

I, for one, pledge to all of you that MY panties won't be in a wad. Just like last season, when I knew we were going to tank it and suck the rest of the way out, I had already prepared myself for the letdown. Some of you kept riding the Right Track Express, though, getting out your nifty Bob McNair collector's edition Playoff Calculators to try and figure out what combinations of wins and losses we needed to sneak into the wildcard berth.

Just like then, I have been training myself these past few days with ninja focus...slowing down my heart rate and preparing for the day when we are either underwhelmed or treated to a different avenue than what we spent 6 months speculating about.

Just like in Cool Hand Luke, you gotta' get yore mind right. You were warned. :)

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll take Aso and Sensabaugh over Weddle and Ike Taylor, thanks.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Is it just me, or does Eric Weddle as a Safety make me have the same "meh" feelings as I have for Ike Taylor as a CB?

I feel like both those guys are benefiting from superior secondary play that's happening AROUND them. Isolate them off, onto the Texans secondary, and I don't know that they're all that great here.

I dunno. I have a feeling the Jets or Ravens will land Aso. I have a feeling we're going to end up with a CB/S combo of some sort, and it will probably be guys we've never even discussed on here much.

It can be as simplistic as either (a) Aso and that's it, nor (b) A CB--Taylor Joseph--and a Safety (Weddle).

I suggest everybody scale back they're emotional investment into these types of threads the day before free agency hits. You're going to want to go for a long walk, clear your head of the past 6 months of speculation, and be ready to see what we DO end up with the day of free agency.

I, for one, am just glad that we have football back in the first place. I'd rather root for a Nnamdi-less or Weddle-less Texans team than to have no team to root for at all.

Lots of people are going to drink a beer on free agency day, and I think they're going to spit the beer out. Call me crazy, but there's so many various options the Texans can pursue--and it might not even be on defense!--and the expectations should probably return to planet earth.

I, for one, pledge to all of you that MY panties won't be in a wad. Just like last season, when I knew we were going to tank it and suck the rest of the way out, I had already prepared myself for the letdown. Some of you kept riding the Right Track Express, though, getting out your nifty Bob McNair collector's edition Playoff Calculators to try and figure out what combinations of wins and losses we needed to seek into the wildcard berth. Just like then, I have been training myself with ninja focus...preparing for the day when we are either underwhelmed or treated to a different avenue than what we spent 6 months speculating.

Just like in Cool Hand Luke, you gotta' get yore mind right.

Well played Sir !!!

Allstar
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
If we sign Aso I will rep everyone I can on this board :)

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 04:36 PM
If we sign Aso I will rep everyone I can on this board :)

Reason number 4281 to go get Aso. As if the 4280 yards we gave up weren't enough.

Mike:fans:

badboy
07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
The TEXANS can offer him the best deal, AJ can BEG him to come, and the fans can salivate until they drown, BUT, you can't make the man sign on the dotted line!!

To some of you guys who think the game of football will come to an end for the Texans IF we don't sign him, what ya gonna do then?? Blame Daddy Bob for being cheap? Hang RS up by his balls? Invent new cuss words to use against the Texans franchise? IMHO the man will sign with WHO he really wants to play for, and it just might not be us! If it was all about the money he would stay with the Raiders. :includeme:Well after last season I was on my last nerve with Texans and considering giving up like I have with Astros and perhaps soon with Rockets. Signing Phillips mollified me a bit and the draft was very good for me. Now if I find out we did not go strong after the best FA in years that fills a huge hole, then I will be knocked back a few steps. Then it would be on a game by game evaluation. Sort of like being married to a drunk for years who kept talking about potential and being committed to fixing our problems yet my costs keep going up and the sex ain't that great. I am about to the point of filing for a divorce from my last addiction, Texans ball.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
This could be a bad sign for Texans getting Aso.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez is willing to put it all on the line -- even his paycheck -- if it means the New York Jets will have a better chance to win.

With NFL teams working under a lower salary cap, the third-year player said he already has had discussions about reworking his contract if it helps to make the Jets stronger as free agency begins.

"Absolutely, and my agent's already talked to me about it," Sanchez said. "Whatever we need to do to win, it's on. I think our whole team feels that way, (Darrelle) Revis, me, whoever, it doesn't matter."

In 2009, Sanchez signed a five-year deal with the Jets that included $28 million in guaranteed money, with incentives making the deal potentially worth $60 million. With the 2011 salary cap now at $120 million per team, restructuring Sanchez's contract would give the Jets the ability to spend more to acquire or re-sign free agents this season.

Sanchez may not have to take a pay cut. Depending on the fine print of a new collective bargaining agreement, Sanchez could have some portion of his base salary of $13.5 million converted into a signing bonus, which would be pro-rated and be less of a hit against the salary cap.

Sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini that it is not clear if the NFL will allow Sanchez, who has only two years of service time under his belt, to restructure his deal.link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6803190/mark-sanchez-offers-rework-new-york-jets-deal?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Ryan
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm trying to remain calm here and not get my hopes up like i have one too many times with this organization.

Jackie Chiles
07-26-2011, 04:42 PM

link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6803190/mark-sanchez-offers-rework-new-york-jets-deal?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

If Sanchez will do it so will Schaub I bet.

badboy
07-26-2011, 04:43 PM
You serious?? Visit more often.. heck, I have been on here since day 1, back when it was the official board over at HT.com !! This offseason I stayed off for reasons of the lockout because there was too much speculation over stuff that nobody knew anything about and the crap that was coming from ESPN and the NFLN !! Until it was over, it wasn't over !Yes, I'm serious. Maybe you just lurk and read but your post count for an "old timer" doesn't do much for your position. Anyway, you keep saying you are not interested in much until the deed is done. Okay, that is your right. Come back later but do not make fun of us that are involved and interested now.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
No biggie on the restructuring. I'm sure players on our team will be more than willing to restructure as well.

steelbtexan
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Great players win championships.

Aso is a great player.

If the Texans need more players like Aso.

See how simple that is.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, I'm serious. Maybe you just lurk and read but your post count for an "old timer" doesn't do much for your position. Anyway, you keep saying you are not interested in much until the deed is done. Okay, that is your right. Come back later but do not make fun of us that are involved and interested now.

What does post count have to do with anything?? Some people post a ton in the NSZ...not much into the football side of things.... Having 10000000 posts doesn't make anyone more of a regular than the next guy....
Sheesh... there has to be more going on to get worked up over a FA coming or not to the Texans.. if you have been a fan of the Texans long enough, you know speculating on ANYTHING regarding people coming here is .... well, you should know by know what I was going to say !!
But I do appreciate your enthusiasm about it....... I really do !!

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
No biggie on the restructuring. I'm sure players on our team will be more than willing to restructure as well.

If you are a member of the Texans and the team comes to you and says, hey, we need to restructure your deal to get the best corner in the game here and you say "nope", you're not that interested in winning and you need to go.

I know, a few exceptions and depends on the amount... I'm aware... but if your name is Mario, Andre, Brian, Demeco etc.. you need to go because clearly you're not that committed to winning.

Mike

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 04:49 PM
What does post count have to do with anything?? Some people post a ton in the NSZ...not much into the football side of things.... Having 10000000 posts doesn't make anyone more of a regular than the next guy....
Sheesh... there has to be more going on to get worked up over a FA coming or not to the Texans.. if you have been a fan of the Texans long enough, you know speculating on ANYTHING regarding people coming here is .... well, you should know by know what I was going to say !!
But I do appreciate your enthusiasm about it....... I really do !!

Post count and rep determine the quality of the poster, you know that... wtf is wrong with you.:kitten::spin:

Oh, and smiley usage. We should institute a smiley counter.

Mike

GP
07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Rex Ryan is a weird dude, but for some reason he has been able to get his players to follow him to the gates of hell.

If the Jets land Aso, I think it makes them a 3-to-4-year Super Bowl favorite every one of those years. It could make them a dynasty.

I'm not all that impressed with Sanchez as a PURE QB, but yet the guy will straight up ice your ass if you don't get to him in time. Plus, as vocal as he has been about doing whatever it takes to win...he's constantly putting himself out there as a guy who is very anti-Leinart. Which means he's nothing but football 24-7-365.

It's hard to root against a guy like Sanchez. Very Favre-ish in lots of ways.

He stomped our ass in his first ever NFL game, too, IIRC. STOMPED.

hobie
07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Post count and rep determine the quality of the poster, you know that... wtf is wrong with you.:kitten::spin:

Oh, and smiley usage. We should institute a smiley counter.

Mike

Damn.. I should go the route of the forbidden one ( E**E).... and beg for rep. by saying you rep me, I 'll hit ya back...For all old timers, you know what I am talking about... and I should neg rep myself for even bringing up that name !!

Smiley usage... ??

:ahhaha: :hurrah: :hobie: that's the ticket !!

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Damn.. I should go the route of the forbidden one ( E**E).... and beg for rep. by saying you rep me, I 'll hit ya back...For all old timers, you know what I am talking about... and I should neg rep myself for even bringing up that name !!

Smiley usage... ??

I don't think I was here for e**e... pm me the name lol.

Mike

False Start
07-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Smiley usage... ??

:lol:

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
How much could his relationship with AJ effect his decision? Is it blown out of proportion?

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Rex Ryan is a weird dude, but for some reason he has been able to get his players to follow him to the gates of hell.

If the Jets land Aso, I think it makes them a 3-to-4-year Super Bowl favorite every one of those years. It could make them a dynasty.

I'm not all that impressed with Sanchez as a PURE QB, but yet the guy will straight up ice your ass if you don't get to him in time. Plus, as vocal as he has been about doing whatever it takes to win...he's constantly putting himself out there as a guy who is very anti-Leinart. Which means he's nothing but football 24-7-365.

It's hard to root against a guy like Sanchez. Very Favre-ish in lots of ways.

He stomped our ass in his first ever NFL game, too, IIRC. STOMPED.

I wouldn't go that far. 18/31, 8 ypc, 1 td, 1 int, 84.3 passer rating is not exactly stomping. The Jet D annihilated us that game. Sanchez managed the game well.

GP
07-26-2011, 04:58 PM
If you are a member of the Texans and the team comes to you and says, hey, we need to restructure your deal to get the best corner in the game here and you say "nope", you're not that interested in winning and you need to go.

I know, a few exceptions and depends on the amount... I'm aware... but if your name is Mario, Andre, Brian, Demeco etc.. you need to go because clearly you're not that committed to winning.

Mike

This ^^^^^ times a bazillion.

Of course, DeMeco and Owen were running around like little girls, crying to the media and through their social media accounts about how they just HAD to have a new deal. Good luck with those two guys wanting to help out.

Andre would help out. I think he wants to win THAT badly. Of course, he might ask for a sweetheart year at the end of his career to make up for it.

I doubt Mario would. If our defense had a better secondary, we could put pressure on him...but unfortunately he's not holding the shitty end of the stick right now. He can say "No," and not get released or traded for it. That's my bet.

Actually, I think there's just not the level of desire with the Texans that you see with the Jets. After Mangini went and Tuberville'd the Jets, that club got its act together FAST! Incredibly fast, actually.

I'm very impressed with the recent decision-making by both the Packers and the Jets. Their fans are loving life right now.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't go that far. 18/31, 8 ypc, 1 td, 1 int, 84.3 passer rating is not exactly stomping. The Jet D annihilated us that game. Sanchez managed the game well.

Well, you're right. I guess the beatdown we received from their defense caused me to over-value Sanchez's contribution in that game.

But hey, rookie go this first win on his first day on the job. On the road, too.

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM

link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6803190/mark-sanchez-offers-rework-new-york-jets-deal?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Sanchez restructuring is important to the Jets so they can go after Santonio Holmes. They are about to lose Holmes, Edwards and Brad Smith to free agency, so if they need anything it's a #1 WR. They also may lose Cromartie, Shaun Ellis, and their kicker Nick Folk. They have a lot of work to do in this free agency.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, you're right. I guess the beatdown we received from their defense caused me to over-value Sanchez's contribution in that game.

But hey, rookie go this first win on his first day on the job. On the road, too.

He did get a W. No taking that away. But at the risk of getting neg repped, this had a much bigger factor than Sanchez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ9lYyj4uQ

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
He did get a W. No taking that away. But at the risk of getting neg repped, this had a much bigger factor than Sanchez.

No hard feelings about that play, it was a monstrous move by Jenkins against Meyers, but I am glad that he just threw Schuab to the ground. If he had jumped on Schaub and rode him to the ground, I don't think Matt would have played the rest of that game. Good on Kris for not being a bloodthirsty crazy guy trying to injure opponents.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Without looking, I bet it is Chris Myers getting completely blown up by Kris Jenkins. Right?

That was sexual assault. Plain and simple.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:16 PM

That reminds me...I hope Kris takes most of the first preseason game off if he's playing. Don't know if the guy is injured or not right now.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
That reminds me...I hope Kris takes most of the first preseason game off if he's playing. Don't know if the guy is injured or not right now.

I think he said he's done.

EDIT: Yep. He's retired. Source: Wikipedia entry for Kris Jenkins...

New York Jets
On February 29, 2008, the Carolina Panthers traded Jenkins to the New York Jets for third- and fifth-round draft picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.[2] For much of his first season with the Jets, Jenkins was dominant and garnered heavy consideration for the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award. On Sunday October 18, 2009, Jenkins left the game against the Buffalo Bills with a left knee injury. He was officially lost for the season the next day with a torn ACL.[3] On September 13, 2010 Kris Jenkins again tore his ACL in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, which ended his season for the second time in a row.[4]

The Jets released Jenkins on February 28, 2011.[5]

Retirement
Jenkins announced his retirement from football on July 20, 2011.[6]

Ryan
07-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Of course, DeMeco and Owen were running around like little girls, crying to the media and through their social media accounts about how they just HAD to have a new deal. Good luck with those two guys wanting to help out.

You and I both know that DeMeco deserved a contract more than just about anybody and had he not gotten that contract pre-injury there's a good chance he'd be walking right about now.

Wolf
07-26-2011, 05:19 PM

he retired

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83196

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I think he said he's done.

EDIT: Yep. He's retired. Source: Wikipedia entry for Kris Jenkins...

New York Jets
On February 29, 2008, the Carolina Panthers traded Jenkins to the New York Jets for third- and fifth-round draft picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.[2] For much of his first season with the Jets, Jenkins was dominant and garnered heavy consideration for the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award. On Sunday October 18, 2009, Jenkins left the game against the Buffalo Bills with a left knee injury. He was officially lost for the season the next day with a torn ACL.[3] On September 13, 2010 Kris Jenkins again tore his ACL in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, which ended his season for the second time in a row.[4]

The Jets released Jenkins on February 28, 2011.[5]

Retirement
Jenkins announced his retirement from football on July 20, 2011.[6]

Wow must have missed that. Sucks to see constant injuries bring a player down like that.

steelbtexan
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
You and I both know that DeMeco deserved a contract more than just about anybody and had he not gotten that contract pre-injury there's a good chance he'd be walking right about now.

Ryans walking would be a bad thing?

He been the leader of a terrible defense for 5 yrs now.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow must have missed that. Sucks to see constant injuries bring a player down like that.

Signed,
Bennie

Ryan
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM

One of the few bright spots on this team since 06. I'm excited to see what he can do with a competent DC that knows how to put people in the right position. :wadepalm:

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Good News

judybattista Judy Battista
RT @JennyVrentas: Jets extend offer to free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes: http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Good News

judybattista Judy Battista
RT @JennyVrentas: Jets extend offer to free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes: http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5

BOO YAH! I called it! :lion:

GP
07-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Well, I guess Rick Smith would have looked like a psychic had he NOT caved in on the demands. Everybody was saying Rick Smith was a turd for waiting so long, but in reality had he waited it out...he would have been in the right.

I can't remember of OD got his new contract before or after his own big injury. If he got it before the knee injury in the Bills game, then that's another one that we could say "See, make them play out their contract first."

Am I excited that a Texans player got a contract before blowing his achilles? Not really.

I was more than fine with it when Domanick Davis (Williams now) did, but that was mostly because he was the only producer on the field besides AJ...and I felt he ground himself into the turf for us.

But yet I never saw the level of whinery with DD that I saw with 'Meco. In fact, Domanick actually went away quietly. Kubiak visited him, trying to see if he'd try and come back. Nope. Done.

Besides, DeMeco had a bad shoulder before the achilles blew. He wasn't the same guy two years ago, and then he had the achilles this past year. I can't sit here and say his departure would spell doom for us. Sorry if that comes off as being ignorant of football facts or not. Just not intrigued anymore.

This is not a charity league. I've grown past the sentimental feelings stage once David Carr and Dunta Robinson banked it big for like zero ROI for us.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 05:34 PM

As if that was his doing.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
BOO YAH! I called it! :lion:

At the risk of coming off as being ignorant of the impact of this news...

Does this mean the Jets have less to spend on a certain someone else?

Playoffs
07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Eagles clearing the decks for a free agent move...

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Reports out of today are that the Jets are leading the charge for Nnamdi.

GP
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Reports out of today are that the Jets are leading the charge for Nnamdi.

But does the new news of the Holmes offer tend to make people re-evaluate that Nnamdi-to-Jets speculation?

Weddle wants $7 mill-per and there is a report that Houston is showing interest.

1. We get Aso

2. Or, we don't and we get Weddle because Jets can't afford both Aso and Weddle.

3. OR, we get Aso AND Weddle, which would just be craziness.

I have to go for that walk I was talking about. Must regain ninja focus....

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Depends on how much they have to throw at Holmes, but I'm guessing it will be at least 7.5 million a year. Sanchez can restructure but it will only net a couple extra million for this year. I have a hard time believing they can spend more than 10 million in 2011 on Aso given their cap space.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 05:48 PM
But does the new news of the Holmes offer tend to make people re-evaluate that Nnamdi-to-Jets speculation?

Weddle wants $7 mill-per and there is a report that Houston is showing interest.

1. We get Aso

2. Or, we don't and we get Weddle because Jets can't afford both Aso and Weddle.

3. OR, we get Aso AND Weddle, which would just be craziness.

I have to go for that walk I was talking about. Must regain ninja focus....Where on earth are you getting the idea that the Jets are after Weddle?

XI CMURDER IX
07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Why would Weddle want $7 million per year? He is a safety...

GP
07-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Where on earth are you getting the idea that the Jets are after Weddle?

My bad. LOL.

Got him confused with Leonhard. Hey, they're both white guys. Sue me.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Depends on how much they have to throw at Holmes, but I'm guessing it will be at least 7.5 million a year. Sanchez can restructure but it will only net a couple extra million for this year. I have a hard time believing they can spend more than 10 million in 2011 on Aso given their cap space.

Just because the Jets have made an offer doesn't mean much. Holmes will have many more........and quite possibly go with an other team. That would dump a load back into the kitty to spend less on a replacement WR and more on Aso. Obviously time will tell.

Stemp
07-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Texans would be Super Bowl contenders?
UPDATE: Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle reports that former cornerback Glover Quin is now "locked in" at safety. That opens a hole at CB for a certain high-profile free agent.

---

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says that if the Houston Texans want to be Super Bowl contenders, they need only make one signing: cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

"On Asomugha, Texans will go hard; you have to believe their offer will top all," Mortensen writes. "That's a Super Bowl contender if they land him."

- Vince Verhe
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Allstar
07-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Just because the Jets have made an offer doesn't mean much. Holmes will have many more........and quite possibly go with an other team. That would dump a load back into the kitty to spend less on a replacement WR and more on Aso. Obviously time will tell.

Very true, but you have to imagine all those battling for Aso put their best offer on the table day 1. There's a reason the number 1 FA is the first to get snagged most years.

Ryan
07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm just gonna be expecting that i'll be yelling expletives at Aso come August 15th instead of cheering his name.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Very true, but you have to imagine all those battling for Aso put their best offer on the table day 1. There's a reason the number 1 FA is the first to get snagged most years.

As far as the Jets, in my opinion, Santonio is gone. And Edwards will go more towards on the cheap.

Braylon Edwards' probation hearing set (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6803513/braylon-edwards-new-york-jets-attend-probation-hearing-wednesday?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 06:26 PM

I think they will work to keep him. An offer is a start, it may not be all that he wants, but I think he is a higher priority for the Jets than Aso is.

gafftop
07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't want Aso if it means we have to give Mario " I am hurt again" Williams a long term high dollar contract.

BullNation4Life
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Texans would be Super Bowl contenders?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Too bad they won't have the money to get it done. Already sitting at like 118 of a 120 mil cap with nobody of real significance in making money to cut...

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Too bad they won't have the money to get it done. Already sitting at like 118 of a 120 mil cap with nobody of real significance in making money to cut...

You can still restructure.

EllisUnit
07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
You can still restructure.

if anyone wants to. i dont see no one on that team willing to take less money

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 06:32 PM

You know that's true but you have to wonder, if you're the jets and you lose Holmes that's very damaging. That is catastrophic for that offense. Cromartie, Revis, Sanchez and Holmes is probably stronger than Aso, Revis, Sanchez and another WO. They are losing Edwards and Holmes. Edwards isn't a number 1, probably, but he's about as good as anything not named Holmes (dep on Rice recovery)...

No doubt Revis/Aso is amazing but their offense would be one dimensional and honestly you have to wonder what Sanchez is w/o Holmes and Edwards...

Mike

Allstar
07-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I honestly feel that Sanchez is holding that franchise back.

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 06:34 PM
if anyone wants to. i dont see no one on that team willing to take less money

Glad to know you know the players personally.

Besides, it's not "less" money.

EllisUnit
07-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Glad to know you know the players personally.

Besides, it's not "less" money.

It is the Jets we have all seen the personalities on that team. Now do i know for sure No, but my speculation is the same is speculating they will restructure.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 06:42 PM

As has been said a few times now: the cap is not a hard $120m. There are exceptions and benefits that can give a team up to $130m - $140m of room.-

Allstar
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
It is the Jets we have all seen the personalities on that team. Now do i know for sure No, but my speculation is the same is speculating they will restructure.
Mark Sanchez is on my television right now saying he would take a pay cut.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Mark Sanchez is on my television right now saying he would take a pay cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/sanchez-says-hell-adjust-his-contract-so-jets-can-keep-receivers/

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez wants free agent receivers Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith to stay in New York. And he’s willing to take a hit on his own contract if it helps contracts for Holmes, Edwards and Smith to get done.

“Whatever it takes, whether it’s adjusting contracts, delaying payment, whatever we have to do, our team will do it,” Sanchez said today, in comments distributed by the team. “I know that. We’ll be unselfish with it. We’ll get it figured out.”

Asked to clarify whether that meant he had considered making changes to his own contract to help the team’s salary cap situation, Sanchez answered, “Absolutely, and my agent’s already talked to me about it. Whatever we need to do to win, it’s on. I think our whole team feels that way. If it’s [Darrelle] Revis, me, whoever–it doesn’t matter. So, we’ll do whatever we can.”

Sanchez never actually said he’d be willing to take less money to keep his receivers, but he’s at least willing to re-structure his deal, if that helps. (We’re not sure if Revis is actually willing to do the same, or if Sanchez just thinks Revis would be willing to do the same.)

“It’s important,” Sanchez said of continuity at receiver. “It was such a luxury to have both [Edwards and Holmes] last year. It’s almost unrealistic to have that kind of a receiving corps again. But whichever guys we get back, it’s going to be them playing really well . . . whether we have Braylon and Santonio and Brad, or one of the three, two of the three–whatever it is.”

It seems like he is more worried about the receivers. After all, he will get a bigger contract when his is up if he is throwing to Holmes...

Mike

J_R
07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
The Newark Star-Ledger confirms the Jets have "reached out" to free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.

This comes on the heels of an earlier report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Jets plan to "make a run at" Asomugha to pair him with Darrelle Revis. Multiple reports suggest Asomugha is willing to leave money on the table to sign with playoff contender, and Rex Ryan's squad fits the bill. Asomugha also has designs on an acting career, which may give the Jets yet another edge.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/07/jets_contact_free-agent_corner.html

dtran04
Matt Schaub said he would restructure according to quotes on HT.com but has not been approached yet.

Allstar
Still think it's funny that our final Aso to Texans thread was titled "Nnambi and Houston":ahhaha:

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Still think it's funny that our final Aso to Texans thread was titled "Nnambi and Houston":ahhaha:

Lol, I got the two n's right and missed the d... :/

Mike

Mods, can you please save me some embarrassment?

TheMatrix31
07-26-2011, 06:53 PM

My bad dude, for a sec I thought you were talking about us, lol.

EllisUnit
07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/sanchez-says-hell-adjust-his-contract-so-jets-can-keep-receivers/

It seems like he is more worried about the receivers. After all, he will get a bigger contract when his is up if he is throwing to Holmes...

Mike

makes more sense.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
It's just speculation at this point whether he'd take a paycut to play for the Jets. Because that's the only way I see them signing him unless they want to risk not having any marquee WRs and literally no passing game. Because I doubt Holmes is taking a paycut and we'll see about Edwards.

gary
07-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Lol, I got the two n's right and missed the d... :/

Mike

Mods, can you please save me some embarrassment?He might read this thread and ask, why go to that team when their fans don't even know my name?

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Everyone is talking about how easy it is getting around the new salary cap. I couldn't find a source stating how the penalties work, except this one.

The new collective bargaining agreement formulated in 2011 has a salary cap of $120 million and a salary floor of $108 million, representing 90% of the cap. The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap include fines of up to $5 million, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#Salary_cap_in_the_NFL

If this is accurate, doesn't look so easy OR smart.

Playoffs
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
He might read this thread and ask, why go to that team when their fans don't even know my name?
... and we were that close to getting him! :wadepalm:

b0ng
07-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Everyone is talking about how easy it is getting around the new salary cap. I couldn't find a source stating how the penalties work, except this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap#Salary_cap_in_the_NFL

If this is accurate, doesn't look so easy OR smart.

Check out what Lance Z has been saying about the cap. As far as I know there's a 3 million dollar carry over from last year or something as well as a 3.5 million dollar exemption and some other benefits that can balloon the cap up. You can also do something with money from last year and apply it to the cap as well.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Check out what Lance Z has been saying about the cap. As far as I know there's a 3 million dollar carry over from last year or something as well as a 3.5 million dollar exemption and some other benefits that can balloon the cap up. You can also do something with money from last year and apply it to the cap as well.

I have, but there's no reference to what constitutes going "over the cap" and what the penalties are associated with it.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Alright update time guys:

Jerome Solomon
Text message from Texans player: "We get Nnamdi yet?" ... Hilarious ... Talk. Of. The. Town.

Now, here's some GOOD news: Straight from the mouth of Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik:

I asked Mark Dominik about Nnamdi Asomugha specifically. His answer: "I would temper that. The way we’ve been building this football team, the way we’ve been doing this over the last couple yrs, I think there’s a blueprint that’s already sitting in front of you, and we’re going to follow that blueprint... That’s really going to be a key to what you see as time goes on"

in other words, "HELL NO"

quote from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat writer Stephen Holder.
http://twitter.com/#!/HolderStephen

DocBar
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money and give up a low pick for busting the cap to get Aso. I'm of the opinion that he is this generation's version of Prime Time w/o all the BS. To compare signing him to Haynesworth or just about any other high profile FA bust is disingenuous. Aso has been nothing short of a model citizen in an organization known for showboats, malcontents and rebels without a clue. His down side is miniscule as it is. Compare it to his upside and it's a no-brainer. There is simply no other player in the NFL, short of Revis, that could impact our team as much as Aso. I'm including any QB's you want to throw in, also.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Alright update time guys:

Jerome Solomon

Now, here's some GOOD news: Straight from the mouth of Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik:

in other words, "HELL NO"

quote from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat writer Stephen Holder.
http://twitter.com/#!/HolderStephenDid he have his poker face on?

Allstar
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money and give up a low pick for busting the cap to get Aso. I'm of the opinion that he is this generation's version of Prime Time w/o all the BS. To compare signing him to Haynesworth or just about any other high profile FA bust is disingenuous. Aso has been nothing short of a model citizen in an organization known for showboats, malcontents and rebels without a clue. His down side is miniscule as it is. Compare it to his upside and it's a no-brainer. There is simply no other player in the NFL, short of Revis, that could impact our team as much as Aso. I'm including any QB's you want to throw in, also.
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money as well :fingergun:

DocBar
07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money as well :fingergun:I'd make a good congressman. I have no problem spending other people's money. :fans:

HoustonFrog
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206997/football-headlines?r=1

The Newark Star-Ledger confirms the Jets have "reached out" to free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
This comes on the heels of an earlier report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Jets plan to "make a run at" Asomugha to pair him with Darrelle Revis. Multiple reports suggest Asomugha is willing to leave money on the table to sign with playoff contender, and Rex Ryan's squad fits the bill. Asomugha also has designs on an acting career, which may give the Jets yet another edge

Dutchrudder
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Did you miss the part about the league voiding the contract or are you ignoring that bit? This isn't the NBA with a luxury tax penalty, it's the NFL with the same hard cap it has had for some 20 years now. If your team is pushed above the cap by signing a player, the league will not approve it and he will never join the team until you lose some salary.

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 08:16 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206997/football-headlines?r=1

It's all over but the cryin' folks. I just can't see him choosing us over the Jets. Defensive players love Rex and that is a big market. You pair him with Revis and that is a sick tandem, the sickest in the league.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
It's all over but the cryin' folks. I just can't see him choosing us over the Jets. Defensive players love Rex and that is a big market. You pair him with Revis and that is a sick tandem, the sickest in the league.

I still dont get how the Jets can sign him, even for a tad less than what is expected, with all their own FA's they have to sign. Are they going to completely compromise their offense for ONE CB?

Allstar
07-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I also find it very hard to believe the Jets could sign him. I think Baltimore and Philly have better shots, although I don't think either team wants him too bad.

Playoffs
07-26-2011, 08:23 PM
If you think Sanchez over Schaub, Nnamdi ..... you're fooling yourself.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I still dont get how the Jets can sign him, even for a tad less than what is expected, with all their own FA's they have to sign. Are they going to completely compromise their offense for ONE CB?

The other thing to consider is the Jets had trouble generating a pass rush without blitzing. That was when they had Ellis. If they bank on rooks and lower level FAs to supply the pass rush, not even a duo of Nmandi and Revis will save them from teams exploiting holes in the middle of the field.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Did you miss the part about the league voiding the contract or are you ignoring that bit? This isn't the NBA with a luxury tax penalty, it's the NFL with the same hard cap it has had for some 20 years now. If your team is pushed above the cap by signing a player, the league will not approve it and he will never join the team until you lose some salary.I'm in wishful/hopeful thinking mode and ignored that little clause for the purpose of my fantasy. Don't you judge me. :wild:

Rey
Can't wait till aso signs with us.

Texan_Bill

This^^^^^^^^^^^

/END THREAD!

Take that same money and get two competent players. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to score Aso, but he's already stated (or his agent) that he would take less money to be with a contender.... The Texans, as much as I hate to admit aren't that team....

Cjeremy635

Rex is of the "defense wins championships" mentality. Their defense was already one of the best in the league, you add Nnamdi and I don't think anyone puts over 10 points a game on them. I could be wrong, but where are you gonna throw? It would be hard to beat 2 shut down corners.

CloakNNNdagger
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money as well :fingergun:

Cheapskate! I'll match your $5 mil and bump it $10 mil..........of Bob's money!:strangle:

GuerillaBlack
07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't think that Jets thing means much. Just more speculation. Plus, the Jets still need to sign Holmes and Edwards. The Texans' biggest competition is the Ravens, IMO. Since Houston is in a weaker division, and Nnamdi's position is our biggest weakness (plus one of his good friends is already on the team), maybe he'll come here. There is some hope.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Don't think that Jets thing means much. Just more speculation. Plus, the Jets still need to sign Holmes and Edwards. The Texans' biggest competition is the Ravens, IMO. Since Houston is in a weaker division, and Nnamdi's position is our biggest weakness (plus one of his good friends is already on the team), maybe he'll come here. There is some hope.

That and Baltimore plans to re-sign their guys, might not want to commit that much to the CB spot.

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I still think the 49ers will make a move for him if they haven't done so already.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I still think the 49ers will make a move for him if they haven't done so already.

Why San Francisco? haven't heard that rumor before.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
The other thing to consider is the Jets had trouble generating a pass rush without blitzing. That was when they had Ellis. If they bank on rooks and lower level FAs to supply the pass rush, not even a duo of Nmandi and Revis will save them from teams exploiting holes in the middle of the field.

The more I think about it, the more I think something is afoot.

1) Aso gives a list of teams to his agent he would like to play for, Houston being one.
2) Lots of talk that Houston would go after him fast and quick. Most insiders were saying the Texans were going to sign him. Mike Francessa said last week it "was the worst kept secret in the NFL" that Aso was gong to Houston. Make him a good offer today.
3) Agent leaks news that the Jets are interested, even though no one can expalin how they can afford it. Use these rumors get Houston to sweeten the deal just a tad more.

Texanmike02
07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Rex is of the "defense wins championships" mentality. Their defense was already one of the best in the league, you add Nnamdi and I don't think anyone puts over 10 points a game on them. I could be wrong, but where are you gonna throw? It would be hard to beat 2 shut down corners.

You take away Holmes and they might not score 10 points on anyone all year either...

Mike

J_R
07-26-2011, 08:37 PM
You take away Holmes and they might not score 10 points on anyone all year either...

Mike

Ha, just thought the same thing. Jets might not allow 10 points but where will they get 10 points from? : P

Allstar
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Anyone else see Tampa bowing out as a really good sign? Drives the price down at the very least. We may just be the last team standing.

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Why San Francisco? haven't heard that rumor before.

Well they need a cornerback, they have Nate Clements but his salary is pretty huge and his play doesn't really merit the kind of money he will be making imo. Nmamdi gets to stay in the west coast in beautiful San Fran. The 49ers play in probably the weakest division in the league and they have a good shot at making a playoff run.

Texecutioner
07-26-2011, 08:45 PM
You pair him with Revis and that is a sick tandem, the sickest in the league.

It would be the sickest combination in NFL history and there would never be a better combo than that.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Rex is of the "defense wins championships" mentality. Their defense was already one of the best in the league, you add Nnamdi and I don't think anyone puts over 10 points a game on them. I could be wrong, but where are you gonna throw? It would be hard to beat 2 shut down corners. Who's gonna cover the TE's and RB's? WCO was built to defeat this kind of D setup. Put OD and Dreesen on the field in a single back set and they can't cover everyone AND defend the run.
IMO, your best bet on D is to take away 1/2 the field and roll help to the other 1/2 and disguise your coverage as best as possible to bait the QB into throwing to the latter 1/2. That gets into 76Texan's theory of safeties being more of a factor than a CB. An exceptional safety can read the QB's eyes and take appropriate action. Of course, I may be full of it, too.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Ha, just thought the same thing. Jets might not allow 10 points but where will they get 10 points from? : P

Their D may get their offense into fg kicking situations?

NBT
07-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Only thing is, if you take away the first read, such as Reggie Wayne, that gives our DL & LB's just that extra little bit of time to get to Peyton, and that could be all she wrote. Besides that it gives you the chance to scheme up a plan to handle the other 5, or however many receivers he might have, especially Dallas Clark. I like it, and devoutly hope we sign Aso.

J_R
07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
According to MLive.com's Tom Kowalski, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha wants to play for the Jets.

Kowalski is a Lions reporter, but he's presumably done digging on Asomugha because Detroit has so often been connected to this year's premier free agent. That digging apparently led Kowalski to believe Asomugha wants to play in New York. There have been several other indications this is the case, so it isn't a crazy notion. If Asomugha is willing to take a discount to play in the destination he covets, the marriage could very well happen
http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/statuses/96029259138740224

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Well they need a cornerback, they have Nate Clements but his salary is pretty huge and his play doesn't really merit the kind of money he will be making imo. Nmamdi gets to stay in the west coast in beautiful San Fran. The 49ers play in probably the weakest division in the league and they have a good shot at making a playoff run.

Interesting. Can they afford both Clements and Aso? Yes, SF is in a weak Division but for how long? St Louis is on the way up. If Arizona gets a QB and they look to get Kolb, they are they are the team to beat. Plus, Seattle won the division last time and Ol Pete has some tricks up his sleeve.

I could see the NFC West getting real tight in a year or two.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
According to MLive.com's Tom Kowalski, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha wants to play for the Jets.

Kowalski is a Lions reporter, but he's presumably done digging on Asomugha because Detroit has so often been connected to this year's premier free agent. That digging apparently led Kowalski to believe Asomugha wants to play in New York. There have been several other indications this is the case, so it isn't a crazy notion. If Asomugha is willing to take a discount to play in the destination he covets, the marriage could very well happen
http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/statuses/96029259138740224

Everyone seems to be repeating the same rumor. Question is how much of a discount is he willing to take? If its a couple of mill a year, maybe. If its like 5+ maybe not.

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I honestly don't care if we sign him or not. My biggest fear is that we miss the boat on other players because we invest too much time into chasing a pipe dream. I'd rather have a known quantity than nothing at all. There are still good players out there that can help us get going in the right direction. We could get a couple of good players for Aso's contract amount. At some point you have to fold and move on to the next hand.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I honestly don't care if we sign him or not. My biggest fear is that we miss the boat on other players because we invest too much time into chasing a pipe dream. I'd rather have a known quantity than nothing at all. There are still good players out there that can help us get going in the right direction. We could get a couple of good players for Aso's contract amount. At some point you have to fold and move on to the next hand.
I think most of the second tier CBs are waiting on Aso to use his contract as a benchmark.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Agree 100%. Texans must have a point, IMO tomorrow, where they say this is the best we can do. Take it or leave it. then move on to J Joseph.

Nawzer
07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Interesting. Can they afford both Clements and Aso? Yes, SF is in a weak Division but for how long? St Louis is on the way up. If Arizona gets a QB and they look to get Kolb, they are they are the team to beat. Plus, Seattle won the division last time and Ol Pete has some tricks up his sleeve.

I could see the NFC West getting real tight in a year or two.

I think I read on espn.com last week that the 49ers may cut Clements or re-structure his contract. I'm not saying the 49ers are the favorites, but don't count them out. All those teams have potential but I think with the defense that the Niners have with Patrick Willis and Co., they should be a good enough team to make it to the playoffs.

Texecutioner
07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I can't believe people still think that the Texans were ever going to lay down the scratch to get Aso. Bob doesn't have it in him and Rick Smith has no clue how to pull off a deal and sell a player like that.

I don't know if the the Jets will get him. I sure as hell hope not, because that would be the scariest secondary I've ever seen in any era of the NFL. One thing is for sure though is that Rex Ryan knows how to sell his franchise to players around the league. He has confidence and moxy and he's been able to build more of a winning culture there in just two seasons than what Smithiak has in five. If the Jets can pull the funds together to sign this guy (I don't see how it's possible), then the Texans would be an after thought even if we paid him more because the Texans don't have anyone in this organization that can sell a winning future other than AJ or Cushing and they are just players like a thousand others in the league.

I just hope that Aso doesn't end in NY and ends up somewhere in the NFC. Smith doesn't know how to sign players like these when they have multiple suitors.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
I think I read on espn.com last week that the 49ers may cut Clements or re-structure his contract. I'm not saying the 49ers are the favorites, but don't count them out. All those teams have potential but I think with the defense that the Niners have with Patrick Willis and Co., they should be a good enough team to make it to the playoffs.

I think QB play dictates who wins that division.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
I honestly don't care if we sign him or not. My biggest fear is that we miss the boat on other players because we invest too much time into chasing a pipe dream. I'd rather have a known quantity than nothing at all. There are still good players out there that can help us get going in the right direction. We could get a couple of good players for Aso's contract amount. At some point you have to fold and move on to the next hand.How can you get a more known quantity than Aso? What other player, at a position of desperate need, comes close to Aso? You honestly don't care? Sounds like a case of premature sour grapes to me. Is premature sour grapes redundant?

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I can't believe people still think that the Texans were ever going to lay down the scratch to get Aso. Bob doesn't have it in him and Rick Smith has no clue how to pull off a deal and sell a player like that.

I don't know if the the Jets will get him. I sure as hell hope not, because that would be the scariest secondary I've ever seen in any era of the NFL. One thing is for sure though is that Rex Ryan knows how to sell his franchise to players around the league. He has confidence and moxy and he's been able to build more of a winning culture there in just two seasons than what Smithiak has in five. If the Jets can pull the funds together to sign this guy (I don't see how it's possible), then the Texans would be an after thought even if we paid him more because the Texans don't have anyone in this organization that can sell a winning future other than AJ or Cushing and they are just players like a thousand others in the league.

I just hope that Aso doesn't end in NY and ends up somewhere in the NFC. Smith doesn't know how to sign players like these when they have multiple suitors.Why are you typing in the past tense? Has Aso agreed to terms somewhere or eliminated the Texans from the running? You need a Happy Meal. :smooch:

Texecutioner
07-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Why are you typing in the past tense? Has Aso agreed to terms somewhere or eliminated the Texans from the running? You need a Happy Meal. :smooch:

We don't have a competent GM that knows how to pull off a deal on a marquee player of Aso's caliber that has several suitors. It's that simple.

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 09:06 PM
How can you get a more known quantity than Aso? What other player, at a position of desperate need, comes close to Aso? You honestly don't care? Sounds like a case of premature sour grapes to me. Is premature sour grapes redundant?

Do I think he can help us? Hell yeah I do. Do I think we're one CB away from the superbowl? Nope. I think there are too many positions of need on defense to invest it all in one player. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if we did sign him. I think that there are pros and cons to both scenarios.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 09:07 PM
We don't have a competent GM that knows how to pull off a deal on a marquee player of Aso's caliber that has several suitors. It's that simple.

Antonio was the #1 rated DE available in FA the year we got him.

To be fair can you name any other players of Aso's caliber that have even come on the market for FA since Smith has been GM?

J_R
07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
AlbertBreer (http://twitter.com/#!/AlbertBreer) Albert Breer
Jets' interest in Nnamdi Asomugha (and a dream pairing with Revis) is real interesting. Remember, Nnamdi played 5 yrs for Rex's brother Rob. I do think this about Nnamdi -- Winning is important this time around. And I believe he'd sacrifice some money for the right situation.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Do I think he can help us? Hell yeah I do. Do I think we're one CB away from the superbowl? Nope. I think there are too many positions of need on defense to invest it all in one player. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if we did sign him. I think that there are pros and cons to both scenarios.What do you think our many positions of need are? I can think of 2 "need" positions. CB and S. We could use LB depth as well.
EDIT: Signing Aso will significantly reduce our need at S.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Do I think he can help us? Hell yeah I do. Do I think we're one CB away from the superbowl? Nope. I think there are too many positions of need on defense to invest it all in one player. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if we did sign him. I think that there are pros and cons to both scenarios.

I think the psychological impact is understated. Front 7 know that Aso would lock down one side of the field. The other DBs know they don't need to help him. Having Aso puts their minds to rest.

Also, having Aso fires up the team even more becuase its a sign from ownership that they will do ANYTHING to win.

Texecutioner
07-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Antonio was the #1 rated DE available in FA the year we got him.

To be fair can you name any other players of Aso's caliber that have even come on the market for FA since Smith has been GM?

You're trying to use Antonio Smith as an example that Smith can pull off a high caliber player that's being targeted by several teams? Lol!

That's funny.

NitroGSXR
07-26-2011, 09:15 PM
What do you think our many positions of need are? I can think of 2 "need" positions. CB and S. We could use LB depth as well.

:facepalm:

Each and every single one!!! C'mon man!!! We ALSO need LBs, Nose, WR, FB, OL, KR, punter.... that's just for starters.

Nnamdi's a pipe dream. We can't afford him...

gary
07-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't expect a whole lot from Houston this year anyway.

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I wonder if the Texans potential participation in Hard Knocks could have been leveraged as added value in bringing Aso in.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
You're trying to use Antonio Smith as an example that Smith can pull off a high caliber player that's being targeted by several teams? Lol!

That's funny.

Can you name a high caliber player of Aso's level that has even been available since Smith was the GM?

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
:facepalm:

Each and every single one!!! C'mon man!!! We ALSO need LBs, Nose, WR, FB, OL, KR, punter.... that's just for starters.

Nnamdi's a pipe dream. We can't afford him...Really? We have a very good WR corps, our OL is very good, with some depth, A little guy named Holliday is supposed to be one helluva kick returner(injured last season), Phillips says he's happy with our NT personnel. I agree we need LB help, but who would you sign as a FA that commands enough $$ to torpedo signing Aso? What on earth do you mean we need a punter? Besides, a punter is gonna screw the salary cap? Are we signing Janakowski? C'mon man yourself.

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Really? We have a very good WR corps, our OL is very good, with some depth, A little guy named Holliday is supposed to be one helluva kick returner(injured last season), Phillips says he's happy with our NT personnel. I agree we need LB help, but who would you sign as a FA that commands enough $$ to torpedo signing Aso? What on earth do you mean we need a punter? Besides, a punter is gonna screw the salary cap? Are we signing Janakowski? C'mon man yourself.

First off, we can do better at the #2 WR position. I like Walter, but he's not a huge threat and lacks that little bit of extra speed. I think he's clutch, but I still think an upgrade would help.
As far as Holliday goes, I wasn't impressed with him last preseason and I think the best thing that could gave happened to him was to get injured. I think he hesitated too much and looked a little scared. I wouldn't bank on him being a big contributor this year, but I hope I'm wrong.

c10x
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Wow there sure is a ton of negativity in this thread.

We're in the first day of the most interesting FA period in my lifetime. Can you not wait until this all shakes out before you go slamming our GM, our coach and the franchise? Geez.

c10x
07-26-2011, 09:31 PM
First off, we can do better at the #2 WR position. I like Walter, but he's not a huge threat and lacks that little bit of extra speed. I think he's clutch, but I still think an upgrade would help.
As far as Holliday goes, I wasn't impressed with him last preseason and I think the best thing that could gave happened to him was to get injured. I think he hesitated too much and looked a little scared. I wouldn't bank on him being a big contributor this year, but I hope I'm wrong.

Our offense isn't based on deep threats like Desean Jackson. It's possession, precision, blocking. You can upgrade the speed of WR2 and remove Walter, but there are very few other WRs in the league who do the things he does AND upgrade that speed.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM

This could possibly be true. Certainly, I can offer no evidence to the contrary. Personally, I don't think that is a very important quality in an NFL GM. I'll take a GM that can draft well and has an eye for talent, rather than one whose greatest asset is getting the guy that everyone agrees is the best player at his position.

Unfortunately, Smith's draft record is mixed and a number of the team's personnel decisions have been questionable to say the least. So, even though I still have some hope, I can't make a strong argument that Rick Smith is a very competent GM. And, I'm terrified the Texans are going to royally screw in free agency over the next ten days. I have hope, but zero confidence that they have properly prepared for the strange set of circumstances that the lockout has created.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Ok. So I will expect the worst and hope for the best.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
As far as Holliday goes, I wasn't impressed with him last preseason and I think the best thing that could gave happened to him was to get injured. I think he hesitated too much and looked a little scared. I wouldn't bank on him being a big contributor this year, but I hope I'm wrong. OK. You addressed two out of five positions you listed. We've had a top 4 passing O the last 3 seasons and you want to deep six Aso to improve that. What??? Are you nucking futs??? KR and PR guys are usually not huge FA signings. So tell me again about all the holes we need to fix? If we had Aso last season, we're talking our 2nd trip to the playoffs and winning the SB. Without Aso this season, we're talking about the '12 season as "our year". I'm sick of next year being "our year".

Wolf
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
OK. You addressed two out of five positions you listed. We've had a top 4 passing O the last 3 seasons and you want to deep six Aso to improve that. What??? Are you nucking futs??? KR and PR guys are usually not huge FA signings. So tell me again about all the holes we need to fix? If we had Aso last season, we're talking our 2nd trip to the playoffs and winning the SB. Without Aso this season, we're talking about the '12 season as "our year". I'm sick of next year being "our year".

I don't know if frank bush would have known what to do if he had aso

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't know if frank bush would have known what to do if he had asoIt would've been nice to find out.

FirstTexansFan
I don't know if frank bush would have known what to do if he had aso

Even Aso can't overcome playing back ten yards from the line :)

Allstar
Honestly, I'm not sure I'd trade our offense for any other team's. No one has a perfect roster.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Even Aso can't overcome playing back ten yards from the line :)Maybe Aso would've freaked out the secondary like Pollard did by "disguising" his coverage. Or maybe he would've done what ge does best and coaches be damned. Pull it off and the coaches can;t ***** too much.

dalemurphy
07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Even Aso can't overcome playing back ten yards from the line :)

More to the point, Aso would still look foolish when he releases a WR running a post and the safety is nowhere to be found. How many times did that happen to Jackson, Quinn, and company last season? Our safety play was a disgrace!

MEGA SWATT
07-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Great thread. I hope we lasso Aso b4 Dallas does!

DocBar
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
More to the point, Aso would still look foolish when he releases a WR running a post and the safety is nowhere to be found. How many times did that happen to Jackson, Quinn, and company last season? Our safety play was a disgrace!This is a true statement and 76Texan deserves credit for pointing it out. His posts have made me rewatch many plays to see this. It's all too easy to blame the CB. That said, Aso owuld be a dream for Phillips in his game planning.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Great thread. I hope we lasso Aso b4 Dallas does!

Apparently Dallas is in a bidding war with TB for Doug Free.

snicker

Allstar
07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
The Bills and Jets are bidding for Buffalo DB Drayton Florence. Hmmmmmm......

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
The Bills and Jets are bidding for Buffalo DB Drayton Florence. Hmmmmmm......

Where did you hear that?

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
OK. You addressed two out of five positions you listed. We've had a top 4 passing O the last 3 seasons and you want to deep six Aso to improve that. What??? Are you nucking futs??? KR and PR guys are usually not huge FA signings. So tell me again about all the holes we need to fix? If we had Aso last season, we're talking our 2nd trip to the playoffs and winning the SB. Without Aso this season, we're talking about the '12 season as "our year". I'm sick of next year being "our year".

You should go back and reread the last page of this thread. I addressed the positions you listed. I think you confused someone else's post for mine, because I only said we could upgrade a few spots, without giving specifics. I didn't list 5 positions of need, someone else did.

I'm not saying we are a huge roster turnover from reaching the playoffs, I just think we could "possibly" need help in more than one spot.

I do think that you should back away from the ledge though. I have a feeling you're going to get butt hurt if we don't sign this guy and then you'll be on an emotional low that's gonna be hard to rebound from.

False Start
Wake me when something happens....:yawn: :worldpeace:

DocBar
Apparently Dallas is in a bidding war with TB for Doug Free.

snickerThis is relevant to this thread how?

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Where did you hear that?

JasonLaCanfora (http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora)
The Bills and Jets are bidding for Buffalo DB Drayton Florence; Bengals & Packers express interest in Brandon Jackson

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
You should go back and reread the last page of this thread. I addressed the positions you listed. I think you confused someone else's post for mine, because I only said we could upgrade a few spots, without giving specifics. I didn't list 5 positions of need, someone else did.

I'm not saying we are a huge roster turnover from reaching the playoffs, I just think we could "possibly" need help in more than one spot.

I do think that you should back away from the ledge though. I have a feeling you're going to get butt hurt if we don't sign this guy and then you'll be on an emotional low that's gonna be hard to rebound from.You're right. it was GTX something or other. LOL on the emotional low. My 1st Oiler's game was in 1976. I'm accustomed to emotional lows. Sorry for misquoting ya, bro.

Doppelganger
07-26-2011, 10:10 PM

I would love to see Aso here.

As I said, I expect the worst and will hope for the best.

b0ng
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
This is relevant to this thread how?

I can't believe you aren't seeing the relevance, especially since i quoted the post but here goes:

Dallas being in a bidding war to sign their own LT significantly lowers their chances of being in the Scrabble tournament.

Thought you coulda put that together yourself there Columbo.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I can't believe you aren't seeing the relevance, especially since i quoted the post but here goes:

Dallas being in a bidding war to sign 8t's own LT significantly lowers their chances of being in the Scrabble tournament.

Thought you coulda put that together yourself there Columbo.After hearing about Dallas' cap situation, I'm not sure that it will have a huge affect. Any word on what Expensive, I mean Free, is gonna sign for?

nero THE zero
07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Pittsburgh reached agreement with veteran cornerback Ike Taylor on a four-year deal.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Im saying it again: Aso's agent is creating this whole "jets want Namdi" story to leverage the Texans for more money.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:16 PM
semi-relevant news:

Pittsburgh reached agreement with veteran cornerback Ike Taylor on a four-year deal.

I'm somewhat relieved, didn't really want him. Let's hope we don't end up with no one though....

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
semi-relevant news:

I'm somewhat relieved, didn't really want him. Let's hope we don't end up with no one though....Considering Pittsburgh's history, this is amazing. I think this will work against us, though. More suiters after our prize.

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Im saying it again: Aso's agent is creating this whole "jets want Namdi" story to leverage the Texans for more money.

I have never thought about that...would be nice for once..

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Im saying it again: Aso's agent is creating this whole "jets want Namdi" story to leverage the Texans for more money.That's a good agent. Sign the man.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:23 PM

I posted my X Files type theory a couple pages ago. I think Namdi wants to come here and his agent is just trying to get as much as possible.

badboy
07-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Interesting that of all the posted hints about Asomugha going everywhere and being offered contract by Jets NOTHING is on ESPN or NFL network.....

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Interesting that of all the posted hints about Asomugha going everywhere and being offered contract by Jets NOTHING is on ESPN or NFL network.....That's because he's going to the Texans and the Texans are going to the SB. They're just building the suspense.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Interesting that of all the posted hints about Asomugha going everywhere and being offered contract by Jets NOTHING is on ESPN or NFL network.....

Honestly I feel that it is a bit odd that they haven't even speculated. I haven't heard his name on the tv for hours.

JCTexan
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Considering the Jets are reaching out to him already & he presumably wants to be a Jet? I don't know...

This comes on the heels of an earlier report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Jets plan to "make a run at" Asomugha to pair him with Darrelle Revis. Multiple reports suggest Asomugha is willing to leave money on the table to sign with playoff contender, and Rex Ryan's squad fits the bill. Asomugha also has designs on an acting career, which may give the Jets yet another edge.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206997/report-jets-reach-out-to-nnamdi-asomugha

b0ng
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
After hearing about Dallas' cap situation, I'm not sure that it will have a huge affect. Any word on what Expensive, I mean Free, is gonna sign for?

They already cut Columbo and Davis off the OL and I think they were banking on Free re-signing without it being too expensive.

If TB tries to overpay wildly for him so they can hit the salary floor that could knock out 2 potential suitors.

badboy
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
That's because he's going to the Texans and the Texans are going to the SB. They're just building the suspense.From your lips to god's ear.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
From your lips to god's ear.Me and God...we be mates.

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
From your lips to god's ear.

Preach on brotha!

badboy
Honestly I feel that it is a bit odd that they haven't even speculated. I haven't heard his name on the tv for hours.Bit odd that nothing on Texans letting players go to build cap space or re-negotiating deals (although latter could be reported only if Aso signs.)

DX-TEX
Considering the Jets are reaching out to him already & he presumably wants to be a Jet? I don't know...

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/206997/report-jets-reach-out-to-nnamdi-asomugha

No offense but I could start spreading those rumors as well. No names attached, no verification. It could have been had from some random blog. Top that with the Jets having cap issues to begin with and their #1 AND #2 receivers being FA's.

Im probably wrong but it isnt too far from a reality at the same time.

Brisco_County
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Honestly I feel that it is a bit odd that they haven't even speculated. I haven't heard his name on the tv for hours.

I don't think any teams want a week-long bidding war. Everyone's keeping quiet until Friday.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:31 PM

You're implying that an "anonymous source" that leaked the info couldn't be his agent or someone from the Aso camp trying to hike up a deal?

ThaShark316
07-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Would be the case for any team. If this was "Eagles/Colts"...they'd say something like:

"He's always wanted to have the Rocky theme played before games"

Colts give up more money. Boom.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't think any teams want a week-long bidding war. Everyone's keeping quiet until Friday.

Still doesn't explain why ESPN doesn't even mention him. They are very good at talking out of their asses, and Nnamdi is the top FA. Doesn't make sense that he isn't in the news at all.

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Bit odd that nothing on Texans letting players go to build cap space or re-negotiating deals (although latter could be reported only if Aso signs.)

Bob Allan just said on 13 that Shaub would consider restructuring his contract. He didn't give specific reasons why, as in to get a particular player. Either way, it's good to know.

Stemp
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Nah... his agent is going to make sure every team in the running knows what the highest bid is.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Bob Allan just said on 13 that Shaub would consider restructuring his contract. He didn't give specific reasons why, as in to get a particular player. Either way, it's good to know.Is Schaub's contract tha big? It's a nice gesture, either way.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:35 PM
ericwinston Eric Winston
So free agency started.I understand that you can sign your own but I thought you had to wait until Fri to sign other? I.e Takeo Spikes to SD

Good to see Eric paid attention in that conference call :wadepalm:

badboy
07-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Bob Allan just said on 13 that Shaub would consider restructuring his contract. He didn't give specific reasons why, as in to get a particular player. Either way, it's good to know.WOW. Thanks. NFL network talking about 7 FA on Jets that NY needsa to re-sign and also Focused on Santonio Holmes. Edwards, Holmes & Cromartie with Holmes MUST sign for Jets. Nothing about ASO.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Bob Allan just said on 13 that Shaub would consider restructuring his contract. He didn't give specific reasons why, as in to get a particular player. Either way, it's good to know.

I think this was the plan BEFORE the lockout, Scahub and AJ both agreed for a restructuring to sign Aso. We know AJ was openly recruiting Namdi and I remember an interview where Schaub stated he was doing the same.

Why on earth has EVERY insider, for the entire summer, keep saying the Texans were going to sign Aso?

Cjeremy635
07-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Is Schaub's contract tha big? It's a nice gesture, either way.

I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to dig it up right now, but it does send a good message of leadership and selflessness.

Lucky
07-26-2011, 10:38 PM
It would be the sickest combination in NFL history and there would never be a better combo than that.
Lester Hayes & Mike Haynes were very good for the Raiders in the '80s. Won the Super Bowl in their first year together.
I think most of the second tier CBs are waiting on Aso to use his contract as a benchmark.
What if Nnamdi takes less $$$ to play for the Jets? Joseph could become the highest paid CB in free agency. I hope the Texans have a plan B, because Asomugha to the Jets sounds real.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to dig it up right now, but it does send a good message of leadership and selflessness.True statement.

Brisco_County
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Still doesn't explain why ESPN doesn't even mention him. They are very good at talking out of their asses, and Nnamdi is the top FA. Doesn't make sense that he isn't in the news at all.

Yeah, I failed to consider that fact.

Nah... his agent is going to make sure every team in the running knows what the highest bid is.

That's his agent. It's the teams in the running who need to not be playing any cards.

badboy
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't know what it is and I'm too lazy to dig it up right now, but it does send a good message of leadership and selflessness.This kind of deal with Texans player restructuring to bring in a Super Star will pump up fan base. I will do a double back flip...well maybe I'll just get up off sofa really quick and hope I don't faint, but that is about as good as I can do.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Lester Hayes & Mike Haynes were very good for the Raiders in the '80s. Won the Super Bowl in their first year together.

What if Nnamdi takes less $$$ to play for the Jets? Joseph could become the highest paid CB in free agency. I hope the Texans have a plan B, because Asomugha to the Jets sounds real.

I really don't think Nnamdi to the Jets has any legs. It all started with Mortenson on Mike & Mike. Greeny has talked up the Jets finding a way to get Aso and specifically asked how it would be done. Mort said that Nnamdi would like to act after his career and New York would certainly help with that and said that Nnamdi would have to take a pay cut. That took off like wild fire.

There have been reports that the Jets have reached out to Cromartie today and are currently battling with Buffalo for Drayton Florence's services. It's also worth noting that they have contacted Holmes as well.

Also, it would still make sense for all the other CBs to wait, even if Nnamdi takes a discount, because everyone else that missed out could start battling for them.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:44 PM
This kind of deal with Texans player restructuring to bring in a Super Star will pump up fan base. I will do a double back flip...well maybe I'll just get up off sofa really quick and hope I don't faint, but that is about as good as I can do.I'll spot ya!!!

JCTexan
07-26-2011, 10:44 PM
You're implying that an "anonymous source" that leaked the info couldn't be his agent or someone from the Aso camp trying to hike up a deal?

I don't know, but until he signs with Houston I will take the "Aso wants to be a Jet" rumors at face value.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't know, but until he signs with Houston I will take the "Aso wants to be a Jet" rumors at face value.

...because he want to "be an actor".....Remember all this Aso to Jets nonsense started when that schill Mortenson made this comment this morning.

c10x
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't see how the jets could afford that much of the salary cap at 2 of the same position. I get it, corners are high value players. But Revis @ 11mil, Aso @ 15mil? Thats like 20% of the entire salary cap. Just doesn't seem plausible.

NitroGSXR
07-26-2011, 10:48 PM

That sucks. I wanted him.

Corrosion
07-26-2011, 10:49 PM
From Solomon's most recent Chrapical article (http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2011/07/sports-illustrated-predicts-asomugha-to-the/)

In this week’s issue of Sports Illustrated, which hits newsstands on Friday, SI’s Peter King picks his top 50 NFL free agent, and predicts where they will sign.

King has Raiders’ cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha as the top guy on the board. And he predicts Asomugha will land with … the Texans.

King, who Texans GM Rick Smith subbed to write a column for a couple weeks ago, also has the Texans signing Eagles’ safety Quintin Mikell (No. 32) and Browns’ Abram Elam during this frenzied free agent signing period that will be unlike anything the NFL has ever seen.

Everyone is trying to get the upper hand in who goes where, and it is going to be fun keeping track of what happens.

Regardless of what you may have heard from crazy yappers on the radio, I can say with certainty that Nnamdi Asomugha has Houston on his list of teams for which he is interested in playing. In fact, he likes the city very much and is generally impressed with the organization.

DocBar
I don't see how the jets could afford that much of the salary cap at 2 of the same position. I get it, corners are high value players. But Revis @ 11mil, Aso @ 15mil? Thats like 20% of the entire salary cap. Just doesn't seem plausible.Yeah, but Sanchez is willing to rework his contract...That means more for teams in NYC than hamlets like Houston.

Brisco_County
I really don't think Nnamdi to the Jets has any legs. It all started with Mortenson on Mike & Mike. Greeny has talked up the Jets finding a way to get Aso and specifically asked how it would be done. Mort said that Nnamdi would like to act after his career and New York would certainly help with that and said that Nnamdi would have to take a pay cut. That took off like wild fire.

Greeny starts suffering from homer delusions and I lose 10 minutes of sports radio time on my morning commute.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
That sucks. I wanted him.

Cb's are starting to be signed and the Texans have done nothing we know of. I believe they have something done and keeping it tight. Dont want to be accused of tampering during the offseason....:fingergun:

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Cb's are starting to be signed and the Texans have done nothing we know of. I believe they have something done and keeping it tight. Dont want to be accused of tampering during the offseason....:fingergun:No signing the dotted line til Friday, right?

EllisUnit
07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Cb's are starting to be signed and the Texans have done nothing we know of. I believe they have something done and keeping it tight. Dont want to be accused of tampering during the offseason....:fingergun:

Funny how we havent heard anything from houston about a CB and we havent heard much from Aso and his agent. :specnatz:

Allstar
07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but Sanchez is willing to rework his contract...That means more for teams in NYC than hamlets like Houston.

Sanchez said that directly after a question about having enough cap room to get his receivers back.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
No signing the dotted line til Friday, right?

Yep. If it got out today that Aso had an agreement with the Texans someone would accuse them of dealing during the lockout.

Either I am awesome at smelling this stuff out or I am drunk on some Battle Red Kool Aid!

fiasco west
07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Greeny starts suffering from homer delusions and I lose 10 minutes of sports radio time on my morning commute.

I hoped something positive about the Aso-Houston would get done before morning. I enjoy listening to Mike&Mike in the morning but I hate how Greeney will take a general football conversation and transform the rest of the segment into something completely about the Jets.

Lucky
I really don't think Nnamdi to the Jets has any legs.
Here's the difference between the Jets and other teams (like the Texans). They don't say "can't". They find a way. They need a CB, the get Cromartie. They need a WR, they get two in Holmes and Edwards. They need a vet RB, they get LT. A pass rusher? Here comes Jason Taylor.

So I don't put anything past the Jets organization. They are can-do. Not an adjective I would ascribe to the Texans.

Brisco_County
Posted by DX-Tex in the Texans FA thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1731895&postcount=300):

LaConfora at nfl.com.

Either the Texans have their man and keeping really damn quiet about it or no one told them the lockout ended.

That's about the most accurate reporting on the Texans we're going to get all week.

J_R
Free Agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha likes the Jets , Texans after him too. Now, Sources tell me #Redskins are pursuing him. #NFL

http://twitter.com/#!/DanHellie/status/96052772088188930

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Yep. If it got out today that Aso had an agreement with the Texans someone would accuse them of dealing during the lockout.

Either I am awesome at smelling this stuff out or I am drunk on some Battle Red Kool Aid!If it'sa firm deal, it would also affect the bargaining power of other CB's with other teams. Aso is the creme de la creme. All others pale compared to him.

badboy
I'll spot ya!!!If I do a double back flip I'll be spotting---the carpet. LOL

Texanmike02
From Solomon's most recent Chrapical article

King, who Texans GM Rick Smith subbed to write a column for a couple weeks ago, also has the Texans signing Eagles’ safety Quintin Mikell (No. 32) and Browns’ Abram Elam during this frenzied free agent signing period that will be unlike anything the NFL has ever seen.

I'll take 2/3.

Mike

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Here's the difference between the Jets and other teams (like the Texans). They don't say "can't". They find a way. They need a CB, the get Cromartie. They need a WR, they get two in Holmes and Edwards. They need a vet RB, they get LT. A pass rusher? Here comes Jason Taylor.

So I don't put anything past the Jets organization. They are can-do. Not an adjective I would ascribe to the Texans.

But I just can not see how they can resign their own FA's (both starting WR's) and a CB that will get 12-15 million. They had major cap issues to begin with.

badboy
Is Schaub's contract tha big? It's a nice gesture, either way.$5.7m salary.

NitroGSXR

What I meant to say was that I felt he was our most realistic opportunity at getting a CB.

Brisco_County
07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I hoped something positive about the Aso-Houston would get done before morning. I enjoy listening to Mike&Mike in the morning but I hate how Greeney will take a general football conversation and transform the rest of the segment into something completely about the Jets.

Yep, it's disgustingly self indulgent. There's already enough about that show that rubs me wrong. Give me Freddie Coleman anytime.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
$5.7m salary.That's all??? What's to be restructured? That's chickenfeed by NFL standards.

NitroGSXR
07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Friday? I'm a little confused... when does FA open? I thought it started at 11 this morning?

Lucky
07-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, but Sanchez is willing to rework his contract...That means more for teams in NYC than hamlets like Houston.
According to Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5192/player?r=1), Sanchez has over $14 million in salary and bonus due in 2011. So, he can help the Jets out quite a bit by restructuring.

EllisUnit
07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
According to Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5192/player?r=1), Sanchez has over $14 million in salary and bonus due in 2011. So, he can help the Jets out quite a bit by restructuring.

but i'm sure he is more worried about his offensive guys.

J_R
07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Friday? I'm a little confused... when does FA open? I thought it started at 11 this morning?

You can talk to FAs, cant sign until Friday

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Albert Breer

AlbertBreer Albert Breer

I do think this about Nnamdi -- Winning is important this time around. And I believe he'd sacrifice some money for the right situation.

2 hours ago

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
$5.7m salary.

When we exercised the option in 2010 it was for three years at ~$28M. Where did you get the 5.7M?

Brandon420tx
07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
That's all??? What's to be restructured? That's chickenfeed by NFL standards.

They can take his salary and move a portion of it to bonus which would then be spread out over his remaining contract knocking his cap hit this season down a few million (probably like 2)

badboy
07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
That's all??? What's to be restructured? That's chickenfeed by NFL standards.

That's just salary, don't know how much his signing bonus was for this year but probably a few million.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
but i'm sure he is more worried about his offensive guys.From what I heard on Sirius NFL, it was an offer to restructure precisely to resign WR FA's, which are several and at least one is potentially season breaking. If the J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets lose Holmes, who will Sanchez throw to? Edwards? There goes the completion %.

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
But I just can not see how they can resign their own FA's (both starting WR's) and a CB that will get 12-15 million. They had major cap issues to begin with.

Did you miss the "find a way" part of his post?

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Did you miss the "find a way" part of his post?

No matter how hard you try you can not get blood from a turnip.

Either way I stated earlier its my X Flies conspiracy theory and it makes me all warm and tingly inside so let me have it please.

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Albert Breer

Key words are "some money," but there are plenty of dudes and dudettes on this board who have speculated that Aso won't sign for the absolute last cent, but has other factors in his decision. Just saying, but we will see.

cland
07-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Movie career or not, I'm having a hard time believing the NY Jets can or would want to sign Aso with the new cap. If he just took the same contact as Darrelle Revis he would cost an equal 16.5 million dollars per year. Adding the two cornerbacks up you get, 33 Million per year on a cap of $123M = 26.8% of the entire teams salary.

Even if Nnamdi gave a huge "home team" discount and played for 10 million per year, that's still 21.5% of the entire teams cap accounting for 2 out of 53 active roster spots.

I have a feeling someone is playing a joke on the media.

badboy
07-26-2011, 11:16 PM
When we exercised the option in 2010 it was for three years at ~$28M. Where did you get the 5.7M?Roto world but I am puzzled about that as we speak. As you say he got $10m 2010 leaving $18 for 2011 & 2012 or $9m each remaining year. That also fits with re-structuring a bit more.

Also, cannot find any bonus involved wuith the 3 year extension just $28 million with $10m in 2010.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:16 PM

Either way I stated earlier its my X Flies conspiracy theory and it makes me all warm and tingly inside so let me have it please.Define blood. :kitten:

Allstar
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I think there are teams we should be more worried about than the Jets in our competition for Aso.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I think there are teams we should be more worried about than the Jets in our competition for Aso.Names, sources????

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 11:18 PM
I have a feeling someone is playing a joke on the media.

Kubiak, Smith and Asos agent. All in Kubiaks office eating $5 foot longs with a deal that already makes Aso a Texan.

Kubes: What shoould we say now?
Smith: Say the Redskins are getting into the bidding
Aso's agent: LOL
Smith: No. Say the Falcons are signing him and they are trading Robinson back to Houston for $17 million a year
Kubiak: AWESOME!
Philips: Hey guys whats going on??I smell sammiches??

EDIT:for Brandon

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Either way I stated earlier its my X Flies conspiracy theory and it makes me all warm and tingly inside so let me have it please.

My argument would be that "find a way" teams/people magically do find blood in their turnips.

Edit:
Ooops, missed the X-Files part of your post. Carry on and ignore me.

TexanSam
I just can't see Asomugha coming here, not if he's serious about winning. Sure, the Texans MIGHT be a good team with him in the secondary, but if he goes to a team like the Jets or Ravens he's going to a bonafide contender as well as to a team that has shown what it takes to win. I hope I'm wrong though.

Texan4Ever
Some guy who sounds like Michael Wilbon from PTI on a show called "Put Up Your Dukes" (not to be confused with the NFL Network show) was on 97.5 FM and he was talking about the impact signing Namadi would have on this team.

He basically said that by getting Namadi, the management shows the team that they are serious about getting players who can help this team out and I can't think of a better way to inspire this team then to get guys who can play at a real high level.

We sign players that are solid but we never make a splash. Namadi would be a splash and the Texans would be front and center of the media. Not only does signing him give us a positive vibe but it can inspire Kareem Jackson and the like to look up at the King of Shutdown CBs.

Namadi can also be a coach on the field and do what coach's can't during a game. He is a leader who can command the DBs and make sure players are in position.

Just like Schaub is the leader of our offense, Namadi can be the leader of the DBs, Ryans or Cushing can lead the LBs, and Mario can lead the DEs.

So McNair do whatever you have to. I will BUY season tickets if it makes it that much easier for the Texans to sign the guy.

WE NEED HIM BADLY!!!

Brandon420tx
Add "I thought I smelt sammiches" to the end of Phillips' line and we have a deal!

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Roto world but I am puzzled about that as we speak. As you say he got $10m 2010 leaving $18 for 2011 & 2012 or $9m each remaining year. That also fits with re-structuring a bit more.

Also, cannot find any bonus involved wuith the 3 year extension just $28 million with $10m in 2010.

I am been looking around as well, but can't find two "sources" to help confirm.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Names, sources????

Just my opinion. If the Eagles don't get DRC, watch out. Keep an eye on Dallas and Baltimore as well.

DocBar
07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I just can't see Asomugha coming here, not if he's serious about winning. Sure, the Texans MIGHT be a good team with him in the secondary, but if he goes to a team like the Jets or Ravens he's going to a bonafide contender as well as to a team that has shown what it takes to win. I hope I'm wrong though.If you look at Phillip's record for improving defenses and consider the fact that we have a top 4 offense, what do you base your argument on? If the J-E-T-S sign Aso, they lose their entinre WR corps. Winning or losing 10-9 or 9-10 is not going to win fans in NYC.

Texan4Ever
07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Another thing just popped up in my head, is Terrence Newman a FA, if so, any chance Phillps tries to bring him here if we can't get Namadi? :thinking:

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Another thing just popped up in my head, is Terrence Newman a FA, if so, any chance Phillps tries to bring him here if we can't get Namadi? :thinking:

By Jason La Canfora |

Published: July 26th, 2011 | Tags: Terence Newman, Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys will not release CB Terence Newman, according to a team source. The high-priced player was a potential salary-cap casualty, and his deal still could be reworked, but he wasn’t among the players informed Tuesday that he would be released by the team.

Nope.

Allstar
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM

Dallas didn't cut him, at least not yet. Looks like they want to keep, maybe restructure his deal.