PDA

View Full Version : Five teams inquiring about LA?

Showtime100
06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
AEG has talked with five NFL teams about relocating to Los Angeles

The fact that the Southern California-based AEG corporation is interested in bringing an NFL team back to Los Angeles may be the worst-kept secret in America. But the company, owned by billionaire Philip Anschutz and run by president Tim Leiweke (brother of former Seattle Seahawks CEO Tod), expressed real and concrete interest in moving a team to SoCal — the first time in 16 years that the league would be located there — for a Thursday story in the Orange County Register.

"St. Louis, Jacksonville, not extensively, certainly Oakland, San Diego, Minnesota are still in the mix," Leiweke told reporter Scott M. Reed, when asked which franchises AEG had been talking to. Leiweke then added: "We're not packing any [moving] vans right now."

Leiweke then put it all on the table and said that AEG would be willing to pay to get a team out of a current stadium lease, citing the $24 million payment the Chargers would apparently have to make to get out of their current agreement.

However, in a recent Associated Press story, representatives of the Chargers and Raiders insisted that majority shares were not for sale, and the Vikings are trying to get their own stadium deal done.

When speaking to a group in Pacific Palisades on Thursday, according to Reid, Leiweke said that the $1.35 billion project to build Farmers Field (the as-yet nonexistent L.A. football field with a current name sponsor in Farmers Insurance) and renovate the Los Angeles Convention Center would bring $45 million per year in new taxes placed on hotel stays, property, employees and sales. AEG is currently negotiating a lease for the property on which the new stadium will stand; it's assumed that any team could play in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum until a new stadium was built.

AEG is also committing to write checks to cover any bridge between a debt on stadium bonds and revenue created, and the company is trying to get a memorandum of understanding with the Los Angeles City Council by July 31, according to Reid. If that happens, AEG can move forward, and would certainly want to enter into more comprehensive and aggressive talks with a current NFL team, or with the NFL about a new team.

Where this becomes interesting is that in order to end the current lockout (by choice or by force), it's almost certain that the owners will have to make concessions they don't want to make in order to avoid more stringent penalties by an Eighth Circuit Court that now seems more committed to ending the lockout, even if it shortfalls both sides. The bill for that will fall in the lap of Roger Goodell, and the best way for Goodell to save his own bacon will be to facilitate the sale of a team, or the expansion of the league, and the fat fees those moves generally put in the pockets of all owners.

In other words, when labor peace exists again, job one for Goodell will be to refill the coffers to the levels the owners expected when this labor standoff began, and AEG may be the organization willing — and able — to do so.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/AEG-has-talked-with-five-NFL-teams-about-relocat?urn=nfl-wp2532)

Oddly, this doesn't surprise me.

TEXANRED
06-12-2011, 07:10 PM
AEG has talked with five NFL teams about relocating to Los Angeles

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/AEG-has-talked-with-five-NFL-teams-about-relocat?urn=nfl-wp2532)

Oddly, this doesn't surprise me.

It's interesting that The Raiders, Chargers, and Vikes have basically said they are not interested but nothing from the Rams or or Jville.

I would like to see the Rams return home but I get the feeling it's gonna be the L.A. Jags soon.

Dutchrudder
06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
My money is on the LA Bucaneers.

Ryan
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
LA Texans. :stirpot:

edo783
06-12-2011, 07:56 PM
The Jags have contract issues at their stadium that may preclude them moving before 2015 IIRC.

Marcus
06-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Wouldn't bother me in the least.

cuppacoffee
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM

That thought bothers me less and less.

I can just enjoy watching other teams play on the tube without investing any 'emotion' to who wins or loses. I was priced out of the stadiums years ago.

Seems I can remember living without a favorite pro team before.

Maybe I can score tickets to the Lamar Cardinal football games.

:coffee:

GP
06-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Rams or Jags.

There would be a nostalgia factor for the Rams, since they left L.A.

All we would need to round it out is to have the Cardinals move to St. Louis and the Jags to move to Arizona.

Allstar
06-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Wouldn't bother me in the least.

I can just enjoy watching other teams play on the tube without investing any 'emotion' to who wins or loses. I was priced out of the stadiums years ago.

:coffee:
:mariopalm: wow.

badboy
06-13-2011, 09:57 AM

:coffee:I have minimal interest in watching non Houston sports teams. I watch the Super Bowl and switched yesterday between a movie and game 6 of NBA finals. First time I watched that in years. I remember trying to follow Bud's team when he moved to Tennessee but I quickly lost interest. If Texans moved, I'd maybe follow one year if that. I guess it is the "ownership" I have with a local team. I would also lose the increased interest in College football I've experienced last three years due to NFL draft.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
There's something that sounds a little screwy. It was written awhile back that "what people don't understand" is the 350 million dollar bond arrangement. Well the LA administration should know exactly if or how it could come back to haunt LA. There must still be a significant "hidden" liabllity that the city is concerned about for not signing a "Memo of Understanding." This will be another mess that the NFL will be able to enjoy having created.

badboy
06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
There's something that sounds a little screwy. It was written awhile back that "what people don't understand" is the 350 million dollar bond arrangement. Well the LA administration should know exactly if or how it could come back to haunt LA. There must still be a significant "hidden" liabllity that the city is concerned about for not signing a "Memo of Understanding." This will be another mess that the NFL will be able to enjoy having created.Can you be a little bit more specific about this? It rings a bell but I can't remember any details. Thanks.

chicagotexan2
06-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I think the Rams moving back would help ticket sales more than if the Jags did. But I think the Jags will be the ones to move. But so it doesn't make sense. Even though it's a huge market I don't think LA will embrace another NFL team.

Double Barrel
06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Screw L.A. They don't care if they get a team, so why should I?

Thorn
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I have minimal interest in watching non Houston sports teams. I watch the Super Bowl and switched yesterday between a movie and game 6 of NBA finals. First time I watched that in years. I remember trying to follow Bud's team when he moved to Tennessee but I quickly lost interest. If Texans moved, I'd maybe follow one year if that. I guess it is the "ownership" I have with a local team. I would also lose the increased interest in College football I've experienced last three years due to NFL draft.

Same here. When the Oilers left town, I quit watching the NFL for a long time. I didn't even watch most of the Super Bowls. I have no interest in any type of professional sports anymore except for the NFL, and only if there is a Houston team. My interests in this regard are very narrow, and this stupid situation with the lock out is decreasing my interest in the Texans. If I weren't such an avid poster on this board, I would have already lost interest in the Texans. Most especially since they haven't shown anything yet.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Can you be a little bit more specific about this? It rings a bell but I can't remember any details. Thanks.

President of AEG, Tim Leiweke, listed four of his conditions for the stadium to be built next to Staples Center:

An NFL team must agree to move to Los Angeles
The NFL to approve the team’s move to Los Angeles
Los Angeles must give quick approval and $350 million in bonds to replace the West Hall of the LA Convention Center. West Hall will be torn down and the NFL stadium built on that site
Agreements must be reached with corporations for naming rights and other sponsorships. link (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/01/18/anschutz-aeg-agrees-to-finance-la-stadium/)

This should explain the bond situation.:

AEG chief: Problems with NFL stadium deal in L.A. stem from years of mistrust (http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/03/sports/la-sp-0604-la-nfl-stadium-20110604)

Hervoyel
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I suspect there are some things even Los Angelas wouldn't do. The idea is to create some form of excitement in the greater Los Angelas area for NFL football. The Los Angelas Texans (or whatever they'd call them) would not accomplish this.

CloakNNNdagger
06-15-2011, 07:30 AM
I suspect there are some things even Los Angelas wouldn't do. The idea is to create some form of excitement in the greater Los Angelas area for NFL football. The Los Angelas Texans (or whatever they'd call them) would not accomplish this.

The Los Angeles WEED would! Just think of the endless possibility of promotions. :spin: