PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress?

Ryan
06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Been following Derrick Ward on Twitter, and he says he's going to try to get him to sign with us. Would you accept him here? Think it would be a good fit? I think he would add a whole new dynamic to the offense and make the deadliest 1-2 punch in the NFL for sure. Although we know how Bob is with signing anyone with a record.

DerrickWard32
"Just talked to my big bro Plaxico. Training together friday! Can't wait to get on the field with him again!"

DerrickWard32
"So ill be in my big bro Plax's ear all week and weekend to get him to come ball with me in Houston. What do my Texans fans think? Goodfit?"

gary
06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think he fits here Texas is a very pro gun rights state.

2slik4u
06-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Been following Derrick Ward on Twitter, and he says he's going to try to get him to sign with us. Would you accept him here? Think it would be a good fit? I think he would add a whole new dynamic to the offense and make the deadliest 1-2 punch in the NFL for sure. Although we know how Bob is with signing anyone with a record.

DerrickWard32
"Just talked to my big bro Plaxico. Training together friday! Can't wait to get on the field with him again!"

DerrickWard32
"So ill be in my big bro Plax's ear all week and weekend to get him to come ball with me in Houston. What do my Texans fans think? Goodfit?"

Typically Im all about getting "good guys" and turning away from "bad guys" but Im sick of it. If the player is good (which Plaxico has been prior to incarceration) then I say we take a chance on him.

The prison stint isnt going to make him dirt cheap but it will cut his asking price down dramatically from where it was prior to the clink.

The nice guy act has gotten us nowhere so I say take a chance and get his ass over here stat-like.

ATXtexanfan
06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
i say do it, whats there to lose, surely schaub can throw a jump ball right

gary
06-08-2011, 01:59 PM
As long as he does not bring his gun along because he does not need one.

BIG TORO
06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Would be a nice addition to our team!

HTown2ATX
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Honestly I'm hung up on it, but I say yes only because while I like the WR corps we have now, we are only 1 injury away from having garbage at WR.

DO NOT NAME NAMES - NO JINXES

Incentive laden deal, hardly any guaranteed money, depth...why not.

houstonspartan
06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I am a Spartan. I am biased. YES.

powda
06-08-2011, 03:11 PM
No way. Overpriced prima donna. The little he might bring to our offense would not be worth the increased street crime...

gary
06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
He just shot himself with an unregistered hand gun. But, what else did he really do?

drs23
06-08-2011, 03:28 PM
No. He's 138 yrs old, has sub-par work habits a.k.a. Lazy and was visibley on the decline 3 years ago.

Other side of the coin. He could be cheap camp fodder. If he were to work out, he'd be cheap. If he doesn't, cut him. Bob's not goin' for it.

b0ng
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I said no just because I think the likelyhood of Plax signing here is is very very small. I wouldn't mind having him here because he was very talented before he got incarcerated but I just really don't see it happening this offseason.

powda
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
He just shot himself with an unregistered hand gun. But, what else did he really do?

From his Wiki page:

Legal troublesDomestic disturbancesIn August and September 2008, Totowa police responded to two domestic disturbance calls at the Burress household. At both times temporary restraining orders were issued that were later dismissed by state court.[15]

Civil lawsuitsIn January 2009, Burress was the defendant in a civil lawsuit brought against him by a Lebanon County, Pennsylvania car dealer, who claimed that Burress was given a leased Chevrolet Avalanche in return for promises to appear at publicity events for the dealership. The dealer claimed that Burress never returned the car and never attended any publicity events; the damaged car was eventually returned after being impounded by the New York Police Department. Burress acknowledged that he was responsible for some of the damage to the car, but asked a jury to determine the amount.[16] On January 15, 2009 the jury returned a verdict awarding only $1,700 to the dealer, who had asked for damages of up to $19,000.[17] According to the Associated Press, Burress has been sued at least nine times since he joined the NFL in 2000.[18]

He has a civil lawsuit pending against him in Broward County, Florida, where a woman claims that his $140,000 Mercedes-Benz collided with the back of her car. The suit, filed on December 8, 2008, claims that Burress was liable for causing permanent injuries to the woman. It is noted that because Burress failed to pay his car insurance premium his policy was cancelled 3 days before the accident.[19]

Accidental shootingOn Friday, November 28, 2008, Burress suffered an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound to the right thigh in the New York City nightclub LQ when his Glock pistol, tucked in the waistband of his sweatpants,[20] began sliding down his leg; apparently in reaching for the gun he inadvertently depressed the trigger, causing the gun to fire.[21] The injury was not life-threatening and he was released from an area hospital the next afternoon.[22] The following Monday, Burress turned himself in to police to face charges of criminal possession of a handgun.[23] It was later discovered that the NYPD found out about the incident only after seeing it on television and were not called by New York-Presbyterian Hospital as required by law. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg called the hospital actions an "outrage" and stated that they are a "chargeable offense". Bloomberg also urged that Burress be prosecuted to the fullest extent, saying that any punishment short of the minimum 3 years for unlawful carrying of a handgun would be "a mockery of the law."[24][25] Burress had an expired concealed carry (CCW) license from Florida, but no New York license.

On December 2, 2008, Burress posted bail of $100,000.[26] Later in the day, Burress reported to Giants Stadium as per team policy for injured but active players, and was told he would be suspended without pay[27] for the remaining four games of the 2008 regular season for conduct detrimental to the team. In addition, the Giants placed Burress on their reserve/non-football injury list,[28] meaning he was ineligible to return for the playoffs. Burress was also scheduled to receive $1 million from his signing bonus on December 10, 2008, initially withheld by the team.[29] The NFL Players Association filed a grievance, saying the team violated the collective bargaining agreement and challenging the suspension and fine received by Burress.[30] A Special Master in arbitration subsequently ruled that the Giants must deliver the entire $1 million to Burress, as per the collective bargaining agreement. "To think that a player could carry a loaded gun into a nightclub, shoot himself and miss the rest of the season but get to keep his entire signing bonus illustrates one of the serious flaws in the current system," said Giants co-owner John Mara in a statement afterward.[31]

On December 23, 2008, a search of Burress' New Jersey home by the Totowa, New Jersey Police, the New York Police Department and investigators from the Manhattan District Attorney turned up a 9 mm handgun, a rifle, ammunition and the clothing believed to be worn by Burress on the night of his accidental shooting.[32] On June 12, 2009 Burress' attorney, Benjamin Brafman announced that he had been unable to reach a sentencing agreement.[33]

Burress asked a Manhattan grand jury for sympathy during two hours of testimony on July 29, 2009.[34] On Monday, August 3, 2009, prosecutors announced that Burress had been indicted[35] by the grand jury on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, and a single count of reckless endangerment in the second degree, both felonies.[36][37]

On August 20, 2009, Burress accepted a plea deal that would put him in prison for two years with an additional two years of supervised release.[35] His sentencing was held on September 22, 2009. Burress hired a prison consultant to advise him on what to expect while in prison.[38] In January 2010, Burress applied for and was denied a work release from prison.[39] On June 6, 2011, Burress was released from prison.[40][41]

Driving violationsBurress was pulled over by Florida police on March 11, 2009 and ticketed for four separate moving violations: speeding, improper display of tags, improper lane change and for improper window tinting.[42] The charges were subsequently dismissed by a Fort Lauderdale magistrate "because the officer ... didn't supply information on how to pay the tickets."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's reportedly always been a turd...even in his college days...and a guy you can expect to make it rain at the local strip joints...I can't imagine him and owner Bob McNair in the same room.

gary
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
From his Wiki page:

Legal troublesDomestic disturbancesIn August and September 2008, Totowa police responded to two domestic disturbance calls at the Burress household. At both times temporary restraining orders were issued that were later dismissed by state court.[15]

Civil lawsuitsIn January 2009, Burress was the defendant in a civil lawsuit brought against him by a Lebanon County, Pennsylvania car dealer, who claimed that Burress was given a leased Chevrolet Avalanche in return for promises to appear at publicity events for the dealership. The dealer claimed that Burress never returned the car and never attended any publicity events; the damaged car was eventually returned after being impounded by the New York Police Department. Burress acknowledged that he was responsible for some of the damage to the car, but asked a jury to determine the amount.[16] On January 15, 2009 the jury returned a verdict awarding only $1,700 to the dealer, who had asked for damages of up to $19,000.[17] According to the Associated Press, Burress has been sued at least nine times since he joined the NFL in 2000.[18]

He has a civil lawsuit pending against him in Broward County, Florida, where a woman claims that his $140,000 Mercedes-Benz collided with the back of her car. The suit, filed on December 8, 2008, claims that Burress was liable for causing permanent injuries to the woman. It is noted that because Burress failed to pay his car insurance premium his policy was cancelled 3 days before the accident.[19]

Accidental shootingOn Friday, November 28, 2008, Burress suffered an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound to the right thigh in the New York City nightclub LQ when his Glock pistol, tucked in the waistband of his sweatpants,[20] began sliding down his leg; apparently in reaching for the gun he inadvertently depressed the trigger, causing the gun to fire.[21] The injury was not life-threatening and he was released from an area hospital the next afternoon.[22] The following Monday, Burress turned himself in to police to face charges of criminal possession of a handgun.[23] It was later discovered that the NYPD found out about the incident only after seeing it on television and were not called by New York-Presbyterian Hospital as required by law. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg called the hospital actions an "outrage" and stated that they are a "chargeable offense". Bloomberg also urged that Burress be prosecuted to the fullest extent, saying that any punishment short of the minimum 3 years for unlawful carrying of a handgun would be "a mockery of the law."[24][25] Burress had an expired concealed carry (CCW) license from Florida, but no New York license.

On December 2, 2008, Burress posted bail of $100,000.[26] Later in the day, Burress reported to Giants Stadium as per team policy for injured but active players, and was told he would be suspended without pay[27] for the remaining four games of the 2008 regular season for conduct detrimental to the team. In addition, the Giants placed Burress on their reserve/non-football injury list,[28] meaning he was ineligible to return for the playoffs. Burress was also scheduled to receive $1 million from his signing bonus on December 10, 2008, initially withheld by the team.[29] The NFL Players Association filed a grievance, saying the team violated the collective bargaining agreement and challenging the suspension and fine received by Burress.[30] A Special Master in arbitration subsequently ruled that the Giants must deliver the entire $1 million to Burress, as per the collective bargaining agreement. "To think that a player could carry a loaded gun into a nightclub, shoot himself and miss the rest of the season but get to keep his entire signing bonus illustrates one of the serious flaws in the current system," said Giants co-owner John Mara in a statement afterward.[31]

On December 23, 2008, a search of Burress' New Jersey home by the Totowa, New Jersey Police, the New York Police Department and investigators from the Manhattan District Attorney turned up a 9 mm handgun, a rifle, ammunition and the clothing believed to be worn by Burress on the night of his accidental shooting.[32] On June 12, 2009 Burress' attorney, Benjamin Brafman announced that he had been unable to reach a sentencing agreement.[33]

Burress asked a Manhattan grand jury for sympathy during two hours of testimony on July 29, 2009.[34] On Monday, August 3, 2009, prosecutors announced that Burress had been indicted[35] by the grand jury on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, and a single count of reckless endangerment in the second degree, both felonies.[36][37]

On August 20, 2009, Burress accepted a plea deal that would put him in prison for two years with an additional two years of supervised release.[35] His sentencing was held on September 22, 2009. Burress hired a prison consultant to advise him on what to expect while in prison.[38] In January 2010, Burress applied for and was denied a work release from prison.[39] On June 6, 2011, Burress was released from prison.[40][41]

Driving violationsBurress was pulled over by Florida police on March 11, 2009 and ticketed for four separate moving violations: speeding, improper display of tags, improper lane change and for improper window tinting.[42] The charges were subsequently dismissed by a Fort Lauderdale magistrate "because the officer ... didn't supply information on how to pay the tickets."

He's reportedly always been a turd...even in his college days...and a guy you can expect to make it rain at the local strip joints...I can't imagine him and owner Bob McNair in the same room.I did not know about the lawsuits. Wow.

gtexan02
06-08-2011, 04:29 PM
From his Wiki page:

He's reportedly always been a turd...even in his college days...and a guy you can expect to make it rain at the local strip joints...I can't imagine him and owner Bob McNair in the same room.

What of any of that has do with "street crime" or references "strip clubs" or "making it rain"

Over generalization much? :vincepalm:

nero THE zero
06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Non-starter. Bob would never even think about it.

Thorn
06-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Oh, I don't know. The Texans shoot themselves all the time, Plaxico could fit right in with this group.

El Tejano
06-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Our 3rd down effeciency would be way better, our Redzone TDs would be better too, and talk about a run blocking WR to go along with the two good run blocking WR we already have on the team.

powda
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
What of any of that has do with "street crime" or references "strip clubs" or "making it rain"

Over generalization much? :vincepalm:

So even with your head in the dirt your still able to find a keyboard? Thats talent.

Shaft75
06-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Oh, I don't know. The Texans shoot themselves all the time, Plaxico could fit right in with this group.

:tiphat:

gtexan02
So even with your head in the dirt your still able to find a keyboard? Thats talent.

Nice redirect attempt, but you still haven't proven anything.

You made the comment that Burress would increase street crime and that he has always been a turd and that he was the type of guy who was going to make it rain in local strip clubs, etc, etc. I just don't his criminal history as really being anything to worry about. Theres a difference between being someone who makes stupid descisions and someone who is a criminal. Burress strikes me as the type that just makes bad choices.

Someone questioned you on it, and you posted his entire criminal history. Which is made up of:

1. Minor sounding domestic disturbance which was dismissed
2. A sponsorship deal gone sour which resulted in a civil suit over a leased car
3. An accidental shooting of himself and a bs gun charge
4. Some minor traffic violations (failure to signal in a lane change goes on wikipedia now?)

So I'm still waiting for you to explain how any of this relates to the stuff you mentioned.

:popcorn:

Wolf6151
Hell NO... Plaxico Burress was a team cancer in N.Y. prior to shooting himself. Prison may have changed his outlook and opinion on life but freedom and money will change it back. He's old and been out of football for 2 yrs. what could he contribute. Hell NO...

EllisUnit
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM

You made the comment that Burress would increase street crime and that he has always been a turd and that he was the type of guy who was going to make it rain in local strip clubs, etc, etc. I just don't his criminal history as really being anything to worry about. Theres a difference between being someone who makes stupid descisions and someone who is a criminal. Burress strikes me as the type that just makes bad choices.

Someone questioned you on it, and you posted his entire criminal history. Which is made up of:

2. A sponsorship deal gone sour which resulted in a civil suit over a leased car
4. Some minor traffic violations (failure to signal in a lane change goes on wikipedia now?)

So I'm still waiting for you to explain how any of this relates to the stuff you mentioned.

the rest of us non famous filthy rich people would be doing 15-20 years with a rap sheet like that. Sounds like a everyday street thug to me. Just cause he's famous and gets a slap on the wrist dont mean the rest of us have to like him.

Look at Vick, he is sympathized with for what "he went through" haha now isn't that a joke.

PapaL
06-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I make it rain at strips clubs...doesn't mean I can/not play WR.

Give the guy a chance. What's the worst that happens? He picks up AJ's work ethic or is cut. I'm fine with it.

The Pencil Neck
06-08-2011, 07:11 PM
If he comes in, fits in, works hard, and upgrades the WR position, I'm fine with it.

ArlingtonTexan
06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
the rest of us non famous filthy rich people would be doing 15-20 years with a rap sheet like that. Sounds like a everyday street thug to me. Just cause he's famous and gets a slap on the wrist dont mean the rest of us have to like him.

Look at Vick, he is sympathized with for what "he went through" haha now isn't that a joke.

I actually think Plaxico is a knucklehead, but that is not exactly a harden criminal rap sheet. In fact, I bet more the half the judges in Texas would thought the embarrassment of shooting your own self in leg was more than enough punishment. BTW, New York law mandated the jail time so he was done no favors because he was rich or famous.

gary
06-08-2011, 08:18 PM
A one year deal and then see how he does from there.

Showtime100
06-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Yeah, so he took a lethal weapon in a crowded place where he would be drinking, not knowing how to handle the thing, gun went off, and LUCKILY only he was shot.

Total BS gun charge MY ASS.

Plexico can be anything he wants to be, I just hope it's not a Texan. Dude doesn't fit.

Lucky
06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Get real. Burress will never be a Texan. A Cowboy? Maybe.

gtexan02
06-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Yeah, so he took a lethal weapon in a crowded place where he would be drinking, not knowing how to handle the thing, gun went off, and LUCKILY only he was shot.

Total BS gun charge MY ASS.

Plexico can be anything he wants to be, I just hope it's not a Texan. Dude doesn't fit.

He was charged for carrying a gun in a no-carry city. That was why I called it BS. If there were a legal way for him to carry for self defense and he had avoided it, then I'd agree. But there wasn't. He's a high profile athlete, I can understand the prudence of wanting to protect yourself.

Corrosion
06-09-2011, 04:10 AM
As long as he does not bring his gun along because he does not need one.

I take my pistol damn near everywhere I go ... He just took it to the wrong place.

It is his constitutional right to bear arms .... Move to Texas and get a CC license , just dont take the damn thing to the bar and we're golden. (well , not now that he's a felon)

Now go catch me a few TD's.

:hunter: :gun: :shoot:

powda
06-09-2011, 09:13 AM
-Nice redirect attempt, but you still haven't proven anything.

-So I'm still waiting for you to explain how any of this relates to the stuff you mentioned.

Dude just pulled 2 years in prison. I didnt prove anything? I just posted his "known criminal history" via wiki. Maybe you didnt see?

Are you related to this guy or what? Your the same guy that would bash the Texans later for having a criminal on the roster who goes on a columbine shooting spree(and that IS me generalizing).

Dutchrudder
06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I say bring him in, but I'm sure he will end up with a team like the Jets or Eagles.

Rey
06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I'd take PB, but I really doubt McNAir would.

Double Barrel
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Beyond his off-field problems, he's just not good for a team due to his poor work ethic:

The Giants receiver was fined dozens of times for being late to meetings and practices, leaving Coughlin desperate enough to consult Tiki Barber on how to handle it. When Burress was finally suspended for missing work without explanation, he returned to declare, "I enjoyed my week off," before later berating his coach in a sideline rant captured on TV.

Source (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=6620576)

Screw him and his prima-donna attitude. The last thing the Texans need is some big-headed dipshit on the roster.

Corrosion
06-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Beyond his off-field problems, he's just not good for a team due to his poor work ethic:

Screw him and his prima-donna attitude. The last thing the Texans need is some big-headed dipshit on the roster.

Under normal circumstances , I'd agree with you .... But this guy has something to prove .... If he doesnt he's not much of a man nor a football player.

gary
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I take my pistol damn near everywhere I go ... He just took it to the wrong place.

It is his constitutional right to bear arms .... Move to Texas and get a CC license , just dont take the damn thing to the bar and we're golden. (well , not now that he's a felon)

Now go catch me a few TD's.

:hunter: :gun: :shoot:My post was not all that serious.

Double Barrel
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Under normal circumstances , I'd agree with you .... But this guy has something to prove .... If he doesnt he's not much of a man nor a football player.

If he was a pass rusher or CB, I'd be willing to think about making an allowance. :winky:

But, I just don't see the return on the investment and potential disruptions that he'd bring for just another WR. Our offense is not the problem with this team, so I don't think we should disrupt the chemistry on that side of the ball.

But it's a mute point. No way would McNair ever even consider Burress, so this thread is just fans chatting about it and nothing more.

Blake
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Dont expect the Texans to be offering Plax starting money, or a slot over Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones. He will sign with a team that is in need of a veteran WR, but has a #1. Kansas City?

gtexan02
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Dude just pulled 2 years in prison. I didnt prove anything? I just posted his "known criminal history" via wiki. Maybe you didnt see?

Are you related to this guy or what? Your the same guy that would bash the Texans later for having a criminal on the roster who goes on a columbine shooting spree(and that IS me generalizing).

Definitely sounds like a future columbine type
(/sarcasm)

When it comes to playing again, Plaxico Burress just asks for a clean slate.

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal in his first extensive comments since being released Monday from prison, Burress reiterated he was ready for another chance in the NFL.

"I know what I'm capable of," the former Giants receiver told the newspaper. "All I need to say to teams is, 'Don't judge my future by my past.' Just let me come out and play football."

Burress confirmed prison-life cliches such as bad food and lost time held true. And the weight room wasn't much beyond serviceable, the Journal reported.

"There is nothing pleasant about prison," he said. "There's so much I can tell you and (at the same time) no one thing I can put my finger on. There's an emotional toll and there were definitely some guys I was around who'd done things that made me say, 'Really, seriously, I am here?' "

Yet Burress said he thought he left prison a better receiver than he entered.

"There weren't a lot of guys throwing perfect spirals in there," Burress joked. "I had to work to catch those balls."

Burress has not played football since late November in 2008 when a handgun that was tucked in his sweatpants slipped from his waistband and went off as he tried to grab the gun while in a New York City nightclub.

Burress shot himself in the thigh. Nearly a year later, he entered prison to serve his sentence in September 2009. He was released about three months early for good behavior.

Burress said he was able to watch NFL games on Sunday and Monday nights during the 20-month, 16-day stay at Oneida Correctional Facility in upstate New York.

"It definitely makes you hungrier. You watch your friends have success and you want to recommit yourself and accomplish things again," he said.

Burress said he will bide his time during the lockout by focusing on his family.

"Time had definitely passed," he told the Journal of seeing his family again, including 4-year-old Elijah. "I hold conversations with my son and I see how really intelligent he is and I'm so grateful."

On 18-month-old daughter Giovanna: "We just have to let her do her."

Burress said the family-first approach was part of the advice parted to him from Michael Vick, one of several NFL players who have offered their support and lobbied for the receiver's post-lockout services.

Former teammates Justin Tuck and Shaun O'Hara have said they would like to see Burress back with the Giants.

"You never know what may happen," Burress said. "I love New York. My fan base has always supported me there, and I've had teammates there who I've shared special moments with outside of football."

Burress said his agenda for next week, after he returns from Florida to his home in Totowa, N.J., will include a public appearance Monday with former Colts coach Tony Dungy to talk about gun safety.

"I'm taking it easy this week, but next week it starts again," Burress said. "I think I'll get right back into it and I'll fall back in line with all of it. How I feel about football and what I know I can do -- that's not anything two years can change."
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6648746

powda
06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Definitely sounds like a future columbine type
(/sarcasm)

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6648746

Awwww. He has been rehabilitated by the prison system! He says he's sorry so i"m sure he is. We should throw him a parade. Maybe you should let him baby sit your kids?

Wake up. He wants $. What do you expect to hear him say?