PDA

View Full Version : article on Owen Daniels and Dorin Dickerson

pirbroke
06-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I know from bleacher report but I really liked this write up and they bring up some interesting points about the wide receiver position. I think ( hope ) this is Dorin time to shine, I keep forgetting how fast he was and I remember at least one highlight real catch last preseason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/727031-houston-texans-owen-daniels-could-be-the-finishing-touch-to-the-texans-offense

following is the part I liked about wide receiver. click link for whole story.

A Former Tight End Integral As Well

Daniels is likely the main reason why Kubiak chose not to add a receiver from the draft, but a former tight end might have something to do with it as well. Dorin Dickerson, a former All-Big East tight end, may play a bigger role in 2011 than people expect.

Dickerson was taken in the seventh round of the 2010 draft and was immediately labeled as a wide receiver conversion project. Not only did the 6’4”, 225-pound tight end have by far the fastest 40-time of his position at the combine, at 4.4 seconds, his sprint was bested by only one wide receiver, Oakland's Jacoby Ford.

Dickerson played in only seven games his rookie year, mostly as a depth fill-in and special teams player. The rawness that kept him out of the offense last year may have subsided, though, and even if he is still a work-in-progress, he doesn’t need to learn how to be fast or big.

Jacoby Jones will likely be an unrestricted free agent once the labor unrest is settled, and while he has flashed his considerable play-making ability, his inconsistency has been maddening. If the Texans choose to let Jones walk, Dickerson may take the role of the deep threat as he continues to develop the rest of his route-running skills.

Many Texans fans were wishing for a speedy receiver on draft day, but none were taken. In the end, however, it may be a current and a former tight end that fill that void better than a rookie wideout could in 2011.

IDEXAN
06-08-2011, 08:18 AM
"but the surprise for those two moves paled in comparison to the reaction of extending tight end Owen Daniels' contract. There were numerous reasons to question the timing of a deal worth $22 million over four years.

It had seemed as though the Texans were taking steps to move on without Daniels, which is why the move came as a surprise. Daniels spent a good deal of the last two seasons injured, while backup Joel Dreessen filled in adequately. Also, Houston technically drafted four tight ends in the years 2009 and 2010."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why draft all of those TEs if you're going to retain Daniels ? And what
are the chances of him getting thru this season without another season-ending injury, maybe 50-50 ?
Casey has definitely turned out to be as talented as we hoped he would, but they don't play him because they continue to hang on to OD. I think this is another example of bad personnel management & indecisiveness by Kubiak.

TimeKiller
06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
As for DD, there aren't a whole lot of reasons to give as to why he's being kept off the field. It's his chance, now it's up to him and how he plays. Hey, THEY GAVE JACOBY HIS CHANCE!! THAT SHIT DIDN'T REALLY WORK OUT REMEMBER?!? DD has the same size and speed except that he's also got hands and a good attitude.

As for OD.........well? He's Kubiak's boy. What'd you expect? Them to really give a look at the multitude of TE on the roster?! Dreamin'!

disaacks3
06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Jacoby Jones will likely be an unrestricted free agent once the labor unrest is settled, and while he has flashed his considerable play-making ability, his inconsistency has been maddening. If the Texans choose to let Jones walk, Dickerson may take the role of the deep threat as he continues to develop the rest of his route-running skills.

To be fair to Jacoby, 2 years ago he was definitely an impact player on Offense. Kubiak decided to integrate him more deeply into the offense and issues cropped up. I'd be happier if they used him to stretch the field...as we didn't have Foster in the mix 2 years ago and the combination of headaches we could give an opposing defense is scary.

pirbroke
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
DD is 6'4", more like a second Jhonson out there size wise and I don't remember his hands being a problem like JJ. Man if he pans out it will be huge.

as for OD you have to admit the offence moved a lot better with him in there so I won't be so hard on him but injuries is a concern, I was hoping Casey would beat out Dreessen for the 2nd spot but that might have been due to minor injury issues also. Casey has the best hands on the team but for some reason what stands out in my mind are the few times he would get tripped up and end up on the ground. I don't remember what game or games this happened, just wanted to throw something at the tv at the time.

badboy
06-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I have seen nothing from Casey to indicate he will beat out Dreesen or OD,yet. Nothing against him but forall the optimistic talk when he was drafted...
Dickerson? I'm hopeful but he needs to show up big time. You should not be given a spot, you should take it. He has it all and I hope he can put it together.

El Tejano
06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
DD is 6'4", more like a second Jhonson out there size wise and I don't remember his hands being a problem like JJ. Man if he pans out it will be huge.

He had a real bad problem catching the slant route which, in this offense, is very important. He would make some remarkable acrobatic catches but then wouldn't catch the gimme first down catches during preseason.

I too would like to see him pan out but what the heck is wrong with just adding a guy throug FA?

badboy
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
His size and speed, we need him streaking down sideline deep opposite AJ and taking some heat off. Forget slants for now. I don't remember Bob Hayes in his early years doing much other than going deep and getting there quicker than anybody else.

TimeKiller
06-08-2011, 01:42 PM

as for OD you have to admit the offence moved a lot better with him in there so I won't be so hard on him but injuries is a concern, I was hoping Casey would beat out Dreessen for the 2nd spot but that might have been due to minor injury issues also. Casey has the best hands on the team but for some reason what stands out in my mind are the few times he would get tripped up and end up on the ground. I don't remember what game or games this happened, just wanted to throw something at the tv at the time.

I think I remember that too.....but didn't he have like, a pretty serious ligament issue in his knee?

badboy
06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I think I remember that too.....but didn't he have like, a pretty serious ligament issue in his knee?no imjury I am aware of

b0ng
06-08-2011, 03:11 PM
And what
are the chances of him getting thru this season without another season-ending injury, maybe 50-50 ?

Explain how you came to this conclusion and show your work.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2011, 09:38 PM
His size and speed, we need him streaking down sideline deep opposite AJ and taking some heat off. Forget slants for now. I don't remember Bob Hayes in his early years doing much other than going deep and getting there quicker than anybody else.

Whenever I hear comments like this, I get this bad feeling in my gut that I see him "outrunning" the defenders' arms........as well as Schaub's.

DocBar
06-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Explain how you came to this conclusion and show your work.

geeeez....ain't school out for the summer?:splits:

DocBar
06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Whenever I hear comments like this, I get this bad feeling in my gut that I see him "outrunning" the defenders' arms........as well as Schaub's.They need to work on the deep hook and curl routes. :kitten:
Schaub's deep balls remind me of my drives. They look great til until I realize it's was about 20 yds short of where I was aiming.
EDIT: With OD & JD doing double TE sets, we could create some havoc. That just popped into my head.

TimeKiller
06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
no imjury I am aware of

I believe it was a knee ligament in 2009 and he had a problem this past year as well. Nothing that kept him on IR but I'm quite sure it affected his ability to catch-turn/run. I think if he ever gets a chance to prove himself, it'll be the last time we worry about whether or not Daniels makes it through another season on those fragile wheels.

rush2112mn
06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
I would have to say that the Texans have a excess number of tight ends...I was surprised we did resign Dainiels.....I was thinking they were going to let him go last year.

As far as Dorin Dickerson is conecerned, He was a"project" wide receiver pick and the Texans knew that when they drafted him.

TimeKiller
06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I would have to say that the Texans have a excess number of tight ends...I was surprised we did resign Dainiels.....I was thinking they were going to let him go last year.

As far as Dorin Dickerson is conecerned, He was a"project" wide receiver pick and the Texans knew that when they drafted him.

They did set themselves up to move on without Daniels....for about 2 years....and then resigned him. Very "takin'-care-of-my-boys" move by Kubiak.

As far as projects go: big, fast, strong and agile are great places to start. He's got every physical tool you could ask for and a great attitude to boot (I heard on the radio he was working at Foot Locker because he needed a job). Oh and he's got this guy to watch and learn from, I think you know him, ANDRE JOHNSON!!!! This guy should have the future Jacoby Jones fumbled and deflected away.

infantrycak
06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
People really need to make up their minds. Is OD a great TE or is he just some guy made special by Schaub's noodle arm?

I understand frustration but admit talent every once in a while. OD is a top 5 TE when healthy. Schaub is a top 10 QB who reads the field in the top 5 but may not be able to nail a 50 yard pass (and has openly said he has a philosophy of under throwing rather than over throwing) but does take advantage of any receiver he is given. Does anyone want to return to the days of over thrown non-completion HWWNBN? Better a 35 yard completion with AJ trucking three guys for a TD than a 60 yard throw when AJ is 55 yds downfield.

badboy
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Whenever I hear comments like this, I get this bad feeling in my gut that I see him "outrunning" the defenders' arms........as well as Schaub's.Hey, CND, I feel your concern but never said throw it to him just allow him to take heat off AJ. JJ could have been used more for this. Send a WR deep and allow Aj to work the field as he & Matt decide. A defense has to scheme for any WR sitting 30 yards down field wide open. Unless until WR prooves he can't catch. When Holliday proves he can hold the ball, he could perform this function.

While not a cannon, Schaub can get the ball down field.

badboy
06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I believe it was a knee ligament in 2009 and he had a problem this past year as well. Nothing that kept him on IR but I'm quite sure it affected his ability to catch-turn/run. I think if he ever gets a chance to prove himself, it'll be the last time we worry about whether or not Daniels makes it through another season on those fragile wheels.I could not find anything on internet. Let me know if you come up with link showing his ability is affected.

badboy
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM

As far as Dorin Dickerson is conecerned, He was a"project" wide receiver pick and the Texans knew that when they drafted him.IMO so was Jacoby Jones. Primary difference was round drafted in. Anytime I can draft a WR in a tight end's body with 4.36 speed in 7th round, I'd prob do it.

IDEXAN
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
People really need to make up their minds. Is OD a great TE or is he just some guy made special by Schaub's noodle arm?

I understand frustration but admit talent every once in a while. OD is a top 5 TE when healthy. Schaub is a top 10 QB who reads the field in the top 5 but may not be able to nail a 50 yard pass (and has openly said he has a philosophy of under throwing rather than over throwing) but does take advantage of any receiver he is given. Does anyone want to return to the days of over thrown non-completion HWWNBN? Better a 35 yard completion with AJ trucking three guys for a TD than a 60 yard throw when AJ is 55 yds downfield.

I don't mean to denigrate OD here, because I think he's one of the best value picks the Texans ever made and when healthy he's an integral member of the offense if it is to perform at max potential. No doubt we got a lot of bang for our 4th round buck.
However I don't think he's in fact a top 5 TE, except perhaps by some stat measurements. I don't even think he's a bona fide probowler, rather he's a guy who was an alternate one year who got in a PB game because a couple other guys were sick or indifferent about playing one year.

beerlover
06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't mean to denigrate OD here, because I think he's one of the best value picks the Texans ever made and when healthy he's an integral member of the offense if it is to perform at max potential. No doubt we got a lot of bang for our 4th round buck.
However I don't think he's in fact a top 5 TE, except perhaps by some stat measurements. I don't even think he's a bona fide probowler, rather he's a guy who was an alternate one year who got in a PB game because a couple other guys were sick or indifferent about playing one year.

He is a system TE much like Dallas Clark, as long as he or the system is not broke, his numbers will be Pro-Bowl worthy. Texans got him on the cheap. Plus if you value leadership, character & clubhouse chemistry he's about as good as it gets.

Rey
06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
He is a system TE much like Dallas Clark, as long as he or the system is not broke, his numbers will be Pro-Bowl worthy. Texans got him on the cheap. Plus if you value leadership, character & clubhouse chemistry he's about as good as it gets.

Agreed on all points.

Dallas Clark and OD are both talented players, but I think that the offenses they play in help them out a great deal.

OD is clearly the best TE we have on the roster, and that's not even debatable. I wanted the Texans to trade him and let the other guys play, but after seeing the difference he made last year when he was on the field I've changed my mind.

He's a weapon and you can never have too many of those.

pirbroke
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I could not find anything on internet. Let me know if you come up with link showing his ability is affected.

He did have his knee scoped and last year he had a very bad sprained ankle which I think affected his ability, How could it not. Texans have been rough on TE's, OD'S, Thors, Juppru, Hill. maybe we should have drafted another TE this year ( kidding-------------or am I )

pirbroke
06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Agreed on all points.

Dallas Clark and OD are both talented players, but I think that the offenses they play in help them out a great deal.

OD is clearly the best TE we have on the roster, and that's not even debatable. I wanted the Texans to trade him and let the other guys play, but after seeing the difference he made last year when he was on the field I've changed my mind.

He's a weapon and you can never have too many of those.

You know I was thinking the exact same thing, I am glad he is back.

DocBar
06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
However I don't think he's in fact a top 5 TE, except perhaps by some stat measurements. I don't even think he's a bona fide probowler, rather he's a guy who was an alternate one year who got in a PB game because a couple other guys were sick or indifferent about playing one year.Wow. I have the complete opposite view of OD. I think he's one of the driving forces behind our O and Schaubs definite #2 favorite target. He makes all the catches, rarely fumbles(hope I didn't just jinx him) and gets 1st downs like they're going out of style. IMO, OD is also a big reason Walter's numbers are down. Schaub looks OD's way when AJ is covered. I think playing for the Texans is a bigger hindrance to ODs' pro bowl bids more so than his play on the field when he's healthy.

badboy
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow. I have the complete opposite view of OD. I think he's one of the driving forces behind our O and Schaubs definite #2 favorite target. He makes all the catches, rarely fumbles(hope I didn't just jinx him) and gets 1st downs like they're going out of style. IMO, OD is also a big reason Walter's numbers are down. Schaub looks OD's way when AJ is covered. I think playing for the Texans is a bigger hindrance to ODs' pro bowl bids more so than his play on the field when he's healthy.

Agree with your opinion, especially the bolded. If OD remains healthy, DD has good soph year and JJ does what he is capable (all are possible) we could have a tremendous O. with our Rbs. I really hope Wade being on sideline allows Kubes to focus solely on offense. We could set NFl records.