PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse of Wade Phillips defense throughout the years.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 04:45 PM
As usual, I want to start with a disclaimer, that I'm not an X and O guy.
It's taking me a long time to watch the games and other materials as well as to read up about the schemes, fronts, coverages and stuffs.

It would be great if any knowledgeable football people can help out at any time.

It will take quite a long time, I imagine, because I don't have anywhere as much time as I would like to have.

Without further ado, let me start with the Bum Phillips' days with the Oilers.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
The Oilers base 3-4

The 3-man front from the 1978 season.
(This is from the Monday Night Game against the Dolphins)

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Base%2034/1-Oilersfront3.png

76Texan
05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
The Linebackers:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Base%2034/2-OilersLBs.png

76Texan
05-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Note that Curley Culp, the NT was listed at 265 lbs on pro-football reference.com.

I took the time to check and he was smaller than 9 other NTs in the league at the time (some 4-3 NT can be big) and bigger than 14 guys (thereabout).
There were 4 or 5 guys listed at the same weigh. I missed a few, obviously!

In a video titled "Learning Football the NFL Way - Defense" (1998), John Madden called Culp the best NT he's seen.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
The DL techniques (from the Falcons playbook in 2003 when Wade was there.)

(Other coaches might use slightly different terminology.)

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Base%2034/TechniqueDL.jpg

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:06 PM
From what I can see throughout the years, mostly, the NT plays the shade technique, but he can be find playing others, scuh as the 0 tech.

In the base 3-4, the DEs usually line up in the 4-tech (head up on the OTs - Offensive Tackles).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Base%2034/Base3-4DE4t.png

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
The two ILBs are normally head-up on the Guards (even though this photo doesn't quite show it).
(ILBs : #54 Bingham and #57 Kiner)

I believe it's called a 5-2, based on the fact that the two ILBs lining up in the 2 technique (plus 5 men on the LOS).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Base%2034/BothGuardsuncovered.png

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:40 PM
With the 5-2, it looks like the two ILBs are exposed to the Guards; however, since the front 5 penetrate different gaps on different occasions, the ILBs (or at least one of them) are more free than one may think.

Among the diferent schemes are TONTO, JET, and BULLETS.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Bum Phillips and the young Wade

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/YoungWadeandBum.png

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:45 PM
This front here, I believe is called the 3-4 Under.
It's very much the same as the 4-3 Under.

In this diagram, it's called the WILL WINK

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Under/WILLWINKDiagram.jpg

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Under/WILLWINKphoto.png

Similar to the 4-3 Under, it creates one-on-one situation on the weak side, unless one of the backs helps out.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 05:53 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Under/4-NTstratas0tLEas5t.png

It can start with the NT at 0 tech or shaded weakside and the LE at 4 tech or 5 tech (base or over front).

76Texan
05-26-2011, 06:03 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Under/5-NTshiftsto1t.png

But then the NT shifts to his right.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
The LE also shifts to his right, playing 3 tech.
This is the Under front.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Under/6-LEshiftsto3tthisis34underWILBprotected.png

The only difference with the 4-3 Under is the 3-4 weakside OLB standing up as opposed to a weakside 4-3 DE playing with hand down.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
The LE also shifts to his right, playing 3 tech.
This is the Under front.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Under/6-LEshiftsto3tthisis34underWILBprotected.png

The only difference with the 4-3 Under is the 3-4 weakside OLB standing up as opposed to a weakside 4-3 DE playing with hand down.
This is exactly what I was looking at on youtube video provided by brakos.

Go Texans!!!

76Texan
05-26-2011, 11:17 PM
http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/1rf279l1vnfcr0g/images/5-d505da1be7/000.jpg

A base 3-4 look from the Ravens playbook 2005.
Here we can see the truer 5-2 with the ILBs head-up on the Guards.

76Texan
05-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Here's the Under look from the same playbook.

On the weak side (left), you can see the one-on-one opportunities.

http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/1rf279l1vnfcr0g/images/10-a37cfced3c/000.jpg

76Texan
05-26-2011, 11:33 PM
WOW, I just notice that the Ravens took this out of the game they played us in 05

ArlingtonTexan
05-26-2011, 11:54 PM
The main thing I want to add to this thread is that Wade's defense is not a heavy blitzing multiple look 3-4. Most of the blitzes come from the LB position and really the two outside guys rush the passer way more than not (especially when you consider he uses a 4 man nicle/dime package). He really wants guys to do the same things over and over and do them well versus lots of things okay. Honestly, this is the same broad theory the offense (running game in particular) is based. those who want a trick'em scheme on defense will probably be disappointed. It is execution over innovation.

Barring a dramatic change, there will be some blitzing from the inside LBers, but very little (almost none)blitzing from the CB/S. He does not really use the true in the box safety so Pollard out here is not much different than Sooner Roy williams not fitting in Dallas. Speaking of safeties, during his time, Dallas did NOT have much better safety play than Houston, but it was largely hidden by a much better front seven and generally better CB play.

I will let 76 have his thread back now.

76Texan
05-27-2011, 06:12 AM
The main thing I want to add to this thread is that Wade's defense is not a heavy blitzing multiple look 3-4. Most of the blitzes come from the LB position and really the two outside guys rush the passer way more than not (especially when you consider he uses a 4 man nicle/dime package). He really wants guys to do the same things over and over and do them well versus lots of things okay. Honestly, this is the same broad theory the offense (running game in particular) is based. those who want a trick'em scheme on defense will probably be disappointed. It is execution over innovation.

Barring a dramatic change, there will be some blitzing from the inside LBers, but very little (almost none)blitzing from the CB/S. He does not really use the true in the box safety so Pollard out here is not much different than Sooner Roy williams not fitting in Dallas. Speaking of safeties, during his time, Dallas did NOT have much better safety play than Houston, but it was largely hidden by a much better front seven and generally better CB play.

I will let 76 have his thread back now.

Thanks for the input, TA.

There are a couple of things I disagree with you though.
When was the last time the Texans have a safety that pull in 5 INTs in a year?
Sensabaugh did that for the Cowboys last year.
They missed Ken Hamlin greatly, nonetheless.
When they had both of those guys, I don't see how the Texans' safeties can compare.

And true, they had better CB play since Jacques Reeves went south to.... Houston! :choke:

ArlingtonTexan
05-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the input, TA.

There are a couple of things I disagree with you though.
When was the last time the Texans have a safety that pull in 5 INTs in a year?
Sensabaugh did that for the Cowboys last year.
They missed Ken Hamlin greatly, nonetheless.
When they had both of those guys, I don't see how the Texans' safeties can compare.

And true, they had better CB play since Jacques Reeves went south to.... Houston! :choke:

Ken Hamlin has one outstanding year in 2007. Signs a huge deal before 2008 and was cut before 2010. Jerry ususally holds onto guys he has paid too long. Hamlin was horrible his last two years with the Cowboys. Remember Hamlin is 29/30 so age was not a factor, he was simply that bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Hamlin

On March 23, 2007, Hamlin signed a one-year contract worth $2.5 million with the Dallas Cowboys.[2]

In his first season with the Cowboys, Hamlin earned his first Pro Bowl selection, being named a starter for the NFC and was one-of-13 Cowboys selected - setting a team and NFL record. He started all 16 games at free safety recording 102 tackles (third on the team) - his first career 100-tackle season - five interceptions (second on the team and tied for ninth in the league) and a single-season career-best 14 pass breakups. He made his Cowboys debut against the New York Giants on September 9, recording nine tackles and one pass breakup. After the season, on February 21, 2008, the Cowboys placed a franchise tag on him, insuring he would play at least one more season with the team.[2] Later, on July 15, he signed a six-year, $38 million contract.[2] In 2008, Hamlin was elected as one of the defensive team captains for the season and finished fourth on the team - first in the secondary - with 92 tackles, along with three pass breakups, one interception, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Hamlin was released on April 2, 2010.[3]

Sensgaugh signed with the Cowboys in 2009. After that year of those two together, Hamlin was gone bye. That combination was not good by overall NFL standards.

barrett
05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I expect Phillips to utilize Cushing a bit more aggressively due to his skill set. Whether or not that means blitzing him from the MIKE or sliding him outside in some hybrid packages, I don't know but Phillips has said on the record that he expects to get plenty of sacks from Cushing siting Bradie James as his comparable example.

I'm curious as to what alignment will have #56 outside.

DBCooper
05-27-2011, 12:08 PM
That Oiler team gives me wood!

IDEXAN
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I expect Phillips to utilize Cushing a bit more aggressively due to his skill set. Whether or not that means blitzing him from the MIKE or sliding him outside in some hybrid packages, I don't know but Phillips has said on the record that he expects to get plenty of sacks from Cushing siting Bradie James as his comparable example.

Cushing of course is a true SAM born to play that position in a 4-3 under who should be spending his time bouncing TEs around, but he may be able to contribute something as an ILB in Wades system ? It's just not his best fit,
as his best talents are somewhat wasted in the 3-4.

infantrycak
05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Cushing of course is a true SAM born to play that position in a 4-3 under who should be spending his time bouncing TEs around, but he may be able to contribute something as an ILB in Wades system ? It's just not his best fit,

I just don't think that is true and we have good examples with the Texans of successful transitions. Jamie Sharper won a super bowl ring (including a critical interception) as an OLB in a 4-3 and then became an excellent (league leading tackler) as a 3-4 ILB. DeMeco was expected to go in the 1st round and then moved to ILB and became a pro-bowler. I think Cushing's football instincts are going to lead to a ton of tackles -2 to +2 from the line of scrimmage. Gonna guess Wade dials up some delayed blitzes from him as well.

rush2112mn
05-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Note that Curley Culp, the NT was listed at 265 lbs on pro-football reference.com.

I took the time to check and he was smaller than 9 other NTs in the league at the time (some 4-3 NT can be big) and bigger than 14 guys (thereabout).
There were 4 or 5 guys listed at the same weigh. I missed a few, obviously!

In a video titled "Learning Football the NFL Way - Defense" (1998), John Madden called Culp the best NT he's seen.

Culp was a great NT...I loved the way the guy played. I met him a few years ago....reallly nice guy....

I think the NT is very important position on this defense.....key to it infact. Everyone is going to point to our secondary or Mario...but I think it is the guy who is down there in the middle myself.....

badboy
05-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Culp was a great NT...I loved the way the guy played. I met him a few years ago....reallly nice guy....

I think the NT is very important position on this defense.....key to it infact. Everyone is going to point to our secondary or Mario...but I think it is the guy who is down there in the middle myself.....I think I heard a former NFL player (may have even been a team mate) say on the field, Culp was a mean sucker. I just know I liked to watch him play.

76Texan
05-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Ken Hamlin has one outstanding year in 2007. Signs a huge deal before 2008 and was cut before 2010. Jerry ususally holds onto guys he has paid too long. Hamlin was horrible his last two years with the Cowboys. Remember Hamlin is 29/30 so age was not a factor, he was simply that bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Hamlin

On March 23, 2007, Hamlin signed a one-year contract worth $2.5 million with the Dallas Cowboys.[2]

In his first season with the Cowboys, Hamlin earned his first Pro Bowl selection, being named a starter for the NFC and was one-of-13 Cowboys selected - setting a team and NFL record. He started all 16 games at free safety recording 102 tackles (third on the team) - his first career 100-tackle season - five interceptions (second on the team and tied for ninth in the league) and a single-season career-best 14 pass breakups. He made his Cowboys debut against the New York Giants on September 9, recording nine tackles and one pass breakup. After the season, on February 21, 2008, the Cowboys placed a franchise tag on him, insuring he would play at least one more season with the team.[2] Later, on July 15, he signed a six-year, $38 million contract.[2] In 2008, Hamlin was elected as one of the defensive team captains for the season and finished fourth on the team - first in the secondary - with 92 tackles, along with three pass breakups, one interception, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Hamlin was released on April 2, 2010.[3]

Sensgaugh signed with the Cowboys in 2009. After that year of those two together, Hamlin was gone bye. That combination was not good by overall NFL standards.

I think you got spoiled with Hamlin in the Pro-Bowl.

It's a very difficult sell for you to try to convince us that a defense ranked 2nd in point allowed and 9th in yardage would have as porous seafety play as the Texans' last year. :tiphat:

I've watched some 9 games from the 09 season, including all the highest scoring games by the opponents (2 @ 20 points, 2 @ 21 pts, and 3 higher - two of them without Hamlin.)

Hamlin and Sensabaugh weren't the best tandem in the NFL that year, but they were much better than the average. I will try to get to at least a couple of those games in the review.

Remember that Hamlin missed 4 games in 09 with a high ankle sprain.
(Returning after only 4 weeks with such an injury was remarkable, especially for a veteran like Hamlin.)

"He is a smart player who was valuable to us in playing the role of the quarterback in the secondary," Jones said about Hamlin in the statement. "We appreciate what he brought to this team -- and this defense -- as a solid player and a competitor."

From what I can see, the cut was a combination of injury, age, and money.

I will try to look even closer to the safety play, keeping your comments at the forefront - just as with all the inputs in this thread or any similar thread.

I only feel trapped for time is all.

76Texan
05-27-2011, 08:57 PM

Personally, I think Cushing and Demeco will do great in this scheme.
Playing Cushing at ILB is one way to put your best players on the field.
As I've responded to TPN before, Cushing can be a force on the LOS, but he can also be a force a few yards back.

Since we need forces at the ILB spots, especially with the uncertainty of Ryans' situation, I think it's wise to let Cushing know ahead of time so he can better prepare.

There are plenty of packages for him to rush the QB in this scheme.

76Texan
05-27-2011, 08:58 PM
That Oiler team gives me wood!

I've got something coming up for you!

76Texan
05-27-2011, 09:12 PM

I just don't think that is true and we have good examples with the Texans of successful transitions. Jamie Sharper won a super bowl ring (including a critical interception) as an OLB in a 4-3 and then became an excellent (league leading tackler) as a 3-4 ILB. DeMeco was expected to go in the 1st round and then moved to ILB and became a pro-bowler. I think Cushing's football instincts are going to lead to a ton of tackles -2 to +2 from the line of scrimmage. Gonna guess Wade dials up some delayed blitzes from him as well.

I'm combining these two quotes together, the reason is quite simple.
The MIKE (SILB - Strong Inside LB) is the guy who's most responsible for the TE among the LBs.
The MO or TED (WILB - Weak side Inisde LB) will also look for the slant route or shallow cross by the TE from the other side.

On top of that, when the defense is in nickel situation (4 DL, 2 LBs, 5 DBs) Cushing and Demeco would be in the same positions they always played against spread offense like the Colts.

It makes a lot of sense to have Cushing playing one of the ILB position.

76Texan
05-27-2011, 09:24 PM

I think the NT is very important position on this defense.....key to it infact. Everyone is going to point to our secondary or Mario...but I think it is the guy who is down there in the middle myself.....

I think I heard a former NFL player (may have even been a team mate) say on the field, Culp was a mean sucker. I just know I liked to watch him play.

I'm going to combine these two quotes as well.
The penetrating NTs in Wade's system is important.
Some folks will be surprised when I come to the bigger guys who played for Wade.
The two types of guys are used somewhat differently.
Culp is somewhere in the middle.
We can think of him as a guy who's quite big for the time (but not very big) but very quick.
Such a guy can disrupt both the running game and passing game equally.

In this sense, I know a few of us like Mitchell.
I would compare a 265-lb guy like Culp with a guy like Mitchell (between 290-295 today.)
The trade off is a more stout version in Shaun Cody who is not as quick but possesses body girth who can also penetrate some (but not as consistently.)

I was very encouraged by Mitchell's play as a rookie.
If he continues to improve instead of flatten out, he can really help quite a bit.

76Texan
05-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Bonus time!

Earl Campbell! :cow:

Power I.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/1EarlinPowerI.png

76Texan
05-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Traffic in the middle.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/2Trafficinthemiddleright.png

76Texan
05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Press the line!
Eluding one guy!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/3Elude1guy.png

76Texan
05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Eluding another guy!
Leaving them both in the dirt!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/4Eludeanotherguytobounceout.png

76Texan
05-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Stilll two more guys coming!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/5Lookingat2guys.png

76Texan
05-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Cut back!

Make the outside guys miss.

Get under the inside guy, bring him up high!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/6cutbacktoavoidtheoutsideguywhileliftingupthesecon dguyinside.png

Ah well, he didn't quite score.
But that was a heck of a run to the outside by a big guy!
It's not like they didn't challenge him all the way, step by step!

It was a heck of an effort by the D!

76Texan
05-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Big man over the top, TD!
Look at all the white jerseys all around!

Can you say WOW!!!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Earl%201/Earloverthetop.png

ArlingtonTexan
05-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I think you got spoiled with Hamlin in the Pro-Bowl.

It's a very difficult sell for you to try to convince us that a defense ranked 2nd in point allowed and 9th in yardage would have as porous seafety play as the Texans' last year. :tiphat:

I've watched some 9 games from the 09 season, including all the highest scoring games by the opponents (2 @ 20 points, 2 @ 21 pts, and 3 higher - two of them without Hamlin.)

Hamlin and Sensabaugh weren't the best tandem in the NFL that year, but they were much better than the average. I will try to get to at least a couple of those games in the review.

Remember that Hamlin missed 4 games in 09 with a high ankle sprain.
(Returning after only 4 weeks with such an injury was remarkable, especially for a veteran like Hamlin.)

"He is a smart player who was valuable to us in playing the role of the quarterback in the secondary," Jones said about Hamlin in the statement. "We appreciate what he brought to this team -- and this defense -- as a solid player and a competitor."

From what I can see, the cut was a combination of injury, age, and money.

I will try to look even closer to the safety play, keeping your comments at the forefront - just as with all the inputs in this thread or any similar thread.

I only feel trapped for time is all.

I look forward to what you find (I like your fact and observation appraoch), but cutting a late 20s safety who has an high ankle sprain is generally NOT age and injury. And as for money Jones generally does not like to be wrong, so keeps dudes too long.

Remember in 08/09, the pass rush for Dallas was silly good with Jenkins and Newman playing above average corners (09), so yes you could hide safeties who were not making plays.

BTW (semi-side bar), the reason we are always like the Texans have terrible safeties is that we have not had the combination of above average pass rush with good corner play forcing safeties to make (try to) way too many plays. My other safety take is that in the 3/4 WR, athlete TE era the position of safety as we know it needs to change in terms of both players and schemes. Methinks that safety is the worst played position throughout the entire NFL at the moment.

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:57 AM
The 34 Over

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Over/SAMSINKdiagram.jpg

This is similar to the 43 Over Front

The NT plays shade technique, just outside the C
The WDE (weak side Defensive End) plays 5 tech, just outside the LT
The SDE plays 3 tech, just outside the RG
On the strong side, instead of a 4-3 SDE, we can find the 34 SAM (or SOLB) plays 6 tech (head up on the TE).

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:59 AM
The Over Front from the Ravens 2005 playbook

http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/1rf279l1vnfcr0g/images/7-dfbb092c6a/000.jpg

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
A variaion, with the 34 WDE plays 4t (on the Weak side OT - on this play, he's on the right side of the offensive formation).

The 34 SDE plays either 5t (outside Strong side OT) or just inside the TE or on the TE (6 tech and 6i tech).

The two OLBs plays wide outside.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/34%20Over/3-RE7tLE4tMiamiFront.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:21 PM
If you wonderabout the transition, I can tell you that there's no transition.
All the fromts that I present here (and more to come) was employed by the Texans last year.
The players had been in those positions before.

The only difference is that we should see more 34 looks, that's all.

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
The reduce front where the DEs move in on the OG (Offensive Guards.)
The ILBs play 4 tech (head up on the OTs).

You can call this a 54 scheme (5 men on the LOS and 2 ILBs playing 4 tech).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Misc%20fronts/34Reduceor54.jpg

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Photo of a reduce front from the Miami game

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Misc%20fronts/Reducefront.png

Texan4Ever
05-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I thought I would add this to the thread. Yahoo Sports has our depth chart according to what they think it will be when (or if) the season begins:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/hou/depthchart?nfl-pos=defense

DE: Antonio Smith
NT: Shaun Cody
DE: JJ Watt

OLB: Mario Williams
ILB: Brian Cushing
ILB: DeMeco Ryans
OLB: Connor Barwin

CB: Brice McCain
SS: Dominique Barber
FS: Glover Quinn
CB: Kareem Jackson

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Misc fronts.

In tihis one, both OLBs are on the same side
(obviously, one of them can move back to the other side or to whereever front the defense want to change to._

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Misc%20fronts/LDE7t2LBstohisoutside.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought I would add this to the thread. Yahoo Sports has our depth chart according to what they think it will be when (or if) the season begins:

I think the secondary is still very fliuid.

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
The usual 5-man goal line stand (or can also be found sometimes in short yardage situation).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Misc%20fronts/goalline5manstand.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
A Bear front, with 3 DLs and 3 LBs.
(Let Buddy Ryan get the credit for the Bear 46 defense.)

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Misc%20fronts/ABearfront.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Another different look of the 3-man front

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Misc%20fronts/3manfrontLBoffLOS.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:43 PM
How to play Cover 2 better than the Texans of 2010

Thr RCB plays off-man.
You can't see him in this picture.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/1CBplaysoffmanLOSjustpastthe28.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:45 PM
RCB uses the 5-yard chuck rule as not to give the receiver a free release.
He also re-directs the receiver to the inside.

(If he let the receiver goes outside right off the bat, it's a NO NO in Cover 2).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/2CB5ydchuckrule.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:47 PM
He (RCB) then passes off the receiver.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/3CBpassesofftosettleintheunderneathzone.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Then gets ready to settle into the underneath zone.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/4CBsettlesinunderneathzone.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:49 PM
The receiver sticks his foot in the ground.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/5receiverstickhisfoot.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Then turns to the outside.
This is the spot the Texans had a lot of problem with.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/6receivercutstotheoutside.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey, where did the FS come from?

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/8receiverreadytocatchtheball.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Safety plays over the top

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/9safetyplaysoverthetop.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/10safetybreaksupthepass.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Ball loose.
Incompletion!

Whew! That Kareem Jackson just got saved by the neck! :choke:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/Cover%202/11Incompletion.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
4th quarter prevent defense.
3-man front

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/4th%20Qtr/3manpreventfront.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 01:00 PM
And Curley Culp still got a sack.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/4th%20Qtr/AndCulpstillgotasack.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 01:02 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/4th%20Qtr/Score.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 01:02 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/4th%20Qtr/Earl4TDs.png

El Tejano
05-28-2011, 08:17 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20Miami%201978/4th%20Qtr/Earl4TDs.png

I was 3 and I still remember that moment!

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Now comes the 4-man looks in Phillips' defense.

These are from a MNF game vs the Browns in 1980.
The Oilers won 17-6

Situation: 3rd and 9

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/1-4manfrontonthirdand9.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:33 PM
2nd and 10
4-man Under Front with OLB outside the TE

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/2-4manoverfronton2ndand10.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
4-man front on 3rd and 4

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/3-4manfronton3rdand4.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Another 2nd and 10
Another 4-man Under front, with OLB on the TE

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/4-4manfrontonanother2ndand10.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Third and 12
Another 4-man Under with OLB on the TE

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/5-4manfronton3rdand12.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:42 PM
4-man Under on 2nd and 12

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/8-Another4manfronton2ndand10.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:43 PM
A 5-man goal-line stand

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/9-5mangoallinestand.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:45 PM
2 and 20
Nickel package against a 3-WR set.
4-2 Under front

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/10-42nickelpackageagainst3WRseton2ndand20.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Short yardage situation on 3rd down.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/11-4-manshortyardagesituationonth8irddown.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Third and 4

4-man Over front

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/12-Another4manfronton3rdand4.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Just for fun.
The Oilers on offense.
Have you ever seen this goal-line offensive formation?

3 RBs lining up in a row in the backfield.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/14haveyouseenthisoffensiveformation.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Late in the 4th quarter.

Another 4-2, nickel package against a 3-WR set.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/15late4thqtramanlinenickelagainst3wide.png

76Texan
05-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Overall, the Oilers were in the 4-man Front about 15 times, plus a couple 5-man fronts.
As you can see that's about 40%.
They were either in passing situation, on third down, against a 3-WR set, or in short yardage situation.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Browns%20MNF%201980/Oilersusedthe4manfrontabout40percent.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
The last game of the Oilers series is against Zorn and the Seahawks (he was one of the QBs that I liked back then).

Of course, the Oilers had Pastorini, whom I also like.
But I like The Snake better.
He's a little bit like TexanBill! Actually, quite a bit like TexanBill!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/1-Thesnake.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
These old games, they don't show you a lot of coverages.
I thought I would bring it up when I can.

So let's say from the base 34

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/2-Base34againstSeahaks.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:03 PM
They can rush just 3 and drop both OLBs to the curl area.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/3-BothOLBsdoptothecurlrushonly3.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Normally, that would be in a 5-3 zone or some form of matching zone whereas the OLB doesn't run with a TE deep. If he does, it will be in double coverage.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/4-OLBcurlILBhookhole.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Here is a Bear front, with 4 DLs and 8 in the box

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/5Abearfrontwith4DL2OLBs1LILBand1SSslotsidepassstre gth.png

badboy
05-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Personally, I think Cushing and Demeco will do great in this scheme.
Playing Cushing at ILB is one way to put your best players on the field.
As I've responded to TPN before, Cushing can be a force on the LOS, but he can also be a force a few yards back.

Since we need forces at the ILB spots, especially with the uncertainty of Ryans' situation, I think it's wise to let Cushing know ahead of time so he can better prepare.

There are plenty of packages for him to rush the QB in this scheme.

As long as Cush has Ryans calling plays he will be fine. We will eventually need someone to replace Demeco if injured. Last season was a fiasco.

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:10 PM
They definitely threaten blitz, but can the QB guess how many would come?

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/6Showingblitzbuthowmany.png

badboy
05-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Here is a Bear front, with 4 DLs and 8 in the box

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/5Abearfrontwith4DL2OLBs1LILBand1SSslotsidepassstre gth.pngAnd with two good corners and a FS, I like it.

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:14 PM
In this case, they only blitzed six, dropping an ILB and the SS

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/7Blitz6dropILBandSS.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:16 PM
They created confusion, and got a sack.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/8Sack.png

Beware, however, if you live with the sword, you can die by the sword!

badboy
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM

CB: Kareem JacksonIf McCain and KJ are starters a miracle had better have been accomplished in backfield. It is good to know Barwin and RYans will heal enough to be starters. I have posted for weeks that Barber will start SS so I'm ok with that one.

:thinking:

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Another Bear front with 8 in the box.
(Or perhaps we should call it by a different name because I don't see Buddy Ryan anywhere near.)

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Oilers%20vs%20Seahawks%201980/10AnotherBearfrontwith4DL.png

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
They blitzed again.
Zorn had an open receiver, but the pass was just long.

In this instance, the pass rush helped the CB.
And of course, the CB would get credit for a pass thrown toward him but it was an incompletion.

It's a cat and mouse game of sort.
The more you bring up to blitz, the fewer defenders you have to cover.

A blitz can result in a sack or a long pass completion/TD.

(BTW, let's try to keep our comment to the proper thread, let's not go all over the place. One or two is OK, but too many would make it too much of a cluster, thank you!)

76Texan
05-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I have more Oilers game, but it's best to move on.

Basically, you can already see all the fronts.
Even though there were a few sub-fronts I didn't mention, they were in there.

I thought it's best to look at the fronts first, because these old footages didn't show much of the field anyway.
It's not so obvious if one wants to look at the coverage.

painekiller
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I have more Oilers game, but it's best to move on.

Basically, you can already see all the fronts.
Even though there were a few sub-fronts I didn't mention, they were in there.

I thought it's best to look at the fronts first, because these old footages didn't show much of the field anyway.
It's not so obvious if one wants to look at the coverage.

Thanks for showing the old Oilers stuff, I would hope that Wade has added to Bum's and Ed Biles old scheme's. Back during this time period Wade was the LB coach iirc, Ed Biles was the DC. Biles had been a LB coach when Bum was the DC for Sid Gilman.

The New Orleans team would be Wade's earliest coordinator job.

IMO Wade's defensive looks of the last 10 years will be much more pertinent then the old stuff. But have to admit it's is fun to see the progression and the foundation. Plus I also miss those Luv U Blue days in the dome.

Rep to you.

pirbroke
05-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for showing the old Oilers stuff, I would hope that Wade has added to Bum's and Ed Biles old scheme's. Back during this time period Wade was the LB coach iirc, Ed Biles was the DC. Biles had been a LB coach when Bum was the DC for Sid Gilman.

The New Orleans team would be Wade's earliest coordinator job.

IMO Wade's defensive looks of the last 10 years will be much more pertinent then the old stuff. But have to admit it's is fun to see the progression and the foundation. Plus I also miss those Luv U Blue days in the dome.

Rep to you.

I was just going to ask and you touched on a little. Is Wade's defense the same as his dads? has he changed it over the years? and what were they doing in dallas? was it his defence in dallas or the defensive cordinator they had? and I sure miss the Bum Phillips years.

ArlingtonTexan
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM
I was just going to ask and you touched on a little. Is Wade's defense the same as his dads? has he changed it over the years? and what were they doing in dallas? was it his defence in dallas or the defensive cordinator they had? and I sure miss the Bum Phillips years.

The last couple of years there was no DC, so it was Wade's defense directly and even before that the DC had worked under Wade in San Diego.

Mari-OWNED!
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Hey 76Texan, by any chance could you provide the links to the videos that you're watching? I'd really like to see the actual footage myself.

By the way, this is an awesome and informative thread. :bravo:

awtysst
05-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Here are my thoughts based on the current lineup. I know they will add players in FA.

NT: Earl Mitchell I think Wade prefers Mitchell over Cody

OLB: Connor Barwin/Brooks Reed(I am not sure who starts.

CB: Jason Allen Allen starts over McCain
SS: Troy Nolan What has Barber done to deserve a starting spot? Nolan looked great in limited time. I say give him the chance.

badboy
05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Here are my thoughts based on the current lineup. I know they will add players in FA.

SS: Troy Nolan What has Barber done to deserve a starting spot? Nolan looked great in limited time. I say give him the chance.
CB: Kareem JacksonWhat has KJ done to be a starter?

gary
05-30-2011, 07:53 PM
What has KJ done to be a starter?Fall down.

drs23
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM

I think this is what we'll see as well. As far as KJ is concerned, I think we'll see an improved version as many have stated in other threads. They NEED TIME which of coarse, they don't have right now!

powda
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Rep 76. Great job...however, i wonder how opposing offenses have changed Wade's philosophy in the last 30 years.

Seņor Stan
05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey 76Texan, by any chance could you provide the links to the videos that you're watching? I'd really like to see the actual footage myself.

By the way, this is an awesome and informative thread. :bravo:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1978+oilers+dolphins&aq=0m&oq=oilers+dol

Brakos posted the whole Oilers/Dolphins MNF classic. It was the 1st game I ever attended in person. Awesomeness.

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
i wonder how opposing offenses have changed Wade's philosophy in the last 30 years.

It's difficult to really tell about coverage because the old footages hardly ever show the whole field.

As far as fronts and pressure packages, it seems to me like the main philosophy remains.

Aggressive, but not overtly aggressive.
Not a lot of soft zones.

Since Bum already had multi-fronts (pretty much anything one might see), all Wade has to do to to adapt the ones that he think can work with the players he has in a certain year.
He can also change them up game to game, against different opponents.

With the time he spent in Phila (Buudy Ryan), Wade was able to see more of the Bear deffense (from a different perspective).

He also had the chance to go against the West Coast offense early and the run and shoot (which is a variation of the spread offense) so he was able to tweak and play around with different things from year to year.

It'll become a little more apparent.

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Plus I also miss those Luv U Blue days in the dome.

I sure misses Luv U Blue the Astrodome.
U of H also played many home games there during the early SWC days.
Lots of memories there!

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Some notes from the Saints vs. Theisman and the Skins in 1982.

The NT Moore was 6'4 - 250 lbs.
He had 4 sacks for the year.
He wasn't as good as Culp but he did well in the middle for the Saints.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/8-Saintsfront3.png

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Rickey Jackson became a HOF.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/9-RickeyJacksonHOF6ProBowls2ndrdr.png

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:49 PM
A seven-man blitz from the base 34

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/10-7manblitzfromthebase34.png

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:50 PM
The Saints were burned a few times on these heavy blitzes.

Here's one to Downton Charlie Brown

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/11DowtownCharlieBrown.png

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Base 34 with 9 men in the box

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/12Base34with9meninthebox.png

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
All out blitz

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/13ZerocoverageAllOutBlitz.png

76Texan
06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Man coverage (zero coverage, no safety help).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/14Oneononecoverage.png

More later, I've got to go!

DocBar
06-01-2011, 01:06 PM

I didn't think Nolan looked all that great. Yes, he had a couple of INT's, but his overall play didn't really WOW me. I'm not against giving him a fair chance to try for a starting spot, though.

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Against the 3-WR set, sometimes Wade's D still stays with the base 34

That means there's a single safety even in the red zone.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/15Base34singlesafetyagainst3-wides.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
That lone safety can always come in on an all-out blitz, leaving single coverage on all 3 receivers

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/13ZerocoverageAllOutBlitz.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:25 PM
In this instance, there was good coverage, at least initially.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/17Goodcoverage.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
With the pass rush coming on heavily, Theisman rolls out to buy some time.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/18Theismannroolsoutstillcouldntfindanybody.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Can he? Looks like he saw something!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/19Canhe.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Nope, sack!
This time the blitz won out.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/20Nopesack.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
this is a view toward the end zone before the snap.
You can see the lone safety #49

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/21Viewtowardtheendzone.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Safety is a coming

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/22Safetycoming.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:36 PM
LG picks up the safety as he's more on a direct line to the QB #7 Theisman

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/23LGpickesupsafetyandleavesILBalone.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
ILB, uncovered, came in on the hot chase

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/24Hotchase.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Open or not?
OLB # 52 also coming up!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/25Openornot.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe the slot receiver can get to the outside...

But was there enough time for Theisman?

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/26Willhetry.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I guess not!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/27Nocando.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:49 PM
This 3 man front with the SOLB on the LOS actually looks like A 4-3 Miami front (whcih Jim Johnson populated later on with the Hurricanes and much later on, with the Cowboys).

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/30NoticehowwidetheWDEisandtheWOLBalsoverywide.png

76Texan
06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Just a side bar.
In this play, the SOLB jammed the TE then dropped back into a 5-3 zone (the defense rushed only 3).
He was the one lining on the LOS and appeared near the top of the screen.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/31Thatwouldbejusta3manblitzanda53zone.png

drs23
06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Just a side bar.
In this play, the SOLB jammed the TE then dropped back into a 5-3 zone (the defense rushed only 3).
He was the one lining on the LOS and appeared near the top of the screen.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Saints%20vs%20Skins%201982/31Thatwouldbejusta3manblitzanda53zone.png

76, we're hangin' here! :D

76Texan
06-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I'll finish the Saints segment now, then!

Basically, I wanted to show that this defense can be as aggressive as the DC wants it to be.

The element of risk is minimized as much as possible with some sort of a balance among:
- Penetrating up the middle.
- Containing the edge
- Guarding the passing lane
- Getting a man free to enhance the chance of getting there

A combination of good play by the O-line, the QB, and receiver can still kill you.

But your DBs are protected as much as possible, and that's all you can ask for.

Overall, I see a well-coached defense that wouldn't back down from the eventual SuperBowl winner.

Nor against the Walter Payton's led Bears ( a 10-0 shutout)
They limited the Bears to their lowest rushing total of the year: a mere 48 yards (Payton was 8 for 20 yds).
The Saints weren't afraid to use 8 and 9 men in the box from either the 46 or 36 defense (same concept - just like with the 43 vs the 34, the 46 vs 36 has a signle difference: another guy putting his hand down on the LOS).

The Saints record was 4-5 in that shortened 1982 year.
All 5 of their losses were to play-off teams (those 5 teams put the most points on the Saints defense).
They also beat the Division winner Falcons 35-6 in the last game of the season.

During Wade's tenure there, the Saints put more emphasis on drafting offense.
It wasn't much of a surprise that his last year was the poorest showing for the defense (yardage-wise).

76Texan
06-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Another note is about the NTs.

We have seen a not very big Curley Culp playing extremely well for the Oilers such that John Madden called him the best NT he's seen up to that point.

The next guy was Derland Moore (all 250 lbs of him) who played well for the Saints. He was a vet that came from a 4-3.
There were bigger defenders on the team.
They groomed Elliott (who was 282 lbs) for 3 years to replace him.

76Texan
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Having played Buddy Ryan's Chicago Bears a few times, Wade Phillips did not realize it at the time, but he was actually auditioning for his next job.

As Ryan became HC of the Eagles in 1986, he tabbed Wade as his DC.

People may not realize it, but the Bears 46 defense wasn't totally a 4-man line with 2 more defenders on the LOS all the time, or most of the time.

Actually, it was just another multiple front defense that was quite similar to Bum Phillips'.
It's just that Ryan preferred to go mostly with a 4-man front.
He ran it out of a 4-3 base that would go to 4-2 in nickel situation.
If he feels like he can pressure the QB with just the front 4 and an occasional blitzer, he would do that.

In some game, he would go more with the 46 look than other.
He also use the 3-4 look that can turn into a 36 defense.

In another word, Buddy Ryan's defense was the same as Phillips.
He simply prefers to go more with the 4-man front, that is all.

badboy
06-08-2011, 10:24 AM
It would be interesting if you would compare the size of the Oline players Culp went against. I am a big fan of Curley but he was a lot of tough in a smaller body.

DocBar
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Another note is about the NTs.

We have seen a not very big Curley Culp playing extremely well for the Oilers such that John Madden called him the best NT he's seen up to that point.

The next guy was Derland Moore (all 250 lbs of him) who played well for the Saints. He was a vet that came from a 4-3.
There were bigger defenders on the team.
They groomed Elliott (who was 282 lbs) for 3 years to replace him.

Back when Culp played, there weren't the behemoths with elite atheletic ability like we see today. I just don't see that as apples and apples.

76Texan
06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
A couple of notes on the Eagles defense with Wade as the DC.

Wade now use the 4-man line more, so we can say he was running Ryan's defense.
However, he incorporated more 3-4 looks than Ryan (when he was with the Bears).

The Eagles defense the previous year was a 3-4 defense.
So, actually, Wade (and Ryan) was actually converting a 3-4 defense to a 4-3.

The NT for the first 3 years was Ken Clarke who weighed 268 lbs.
The other DT was Jerome Brown (292 lbs).
Reggie White, who played DE, was 291 lbs.

They did rotated the linemen; you can find any of those 3 lining up just off the C.

The number of snaps for Reggie at NT varried from game to game.

Against the Giants in 1988 (with Phil Simms at QB), the Eagles didn't blitz much, but rather rushed with 4 men.

They attacked the C (and the RT) by rotating different guys in to wear these two down.

I imagined they believed it was best to rush Simms up the middle to force him out of the pocket.

Well, it worked!
The Giants played from behind and Simms was just 19 of 39 with a TD and an INT.

76Texan
06-08-2011, 11:27 PM
It would be interesting if you would compare the size of the Oline players Culp went against. I am a big fan of Curley but he was a lot of tough in a smaller body.

Back when Culp played, there weren't the behemoths with elite atheletic ability like we see today. I just don't see that as apples and apples.

It's really hard to compare, especially since we don't really have true measurements.
Different archive database would have different numbers.
And the players' weigh may very well vary from year to year.

One thing I know for sure (reading one book by John Madden and one by Bill Walsh) was that Madden loved big bodies (while Walsh preferred smaller, more athletic linemen).

A quick reference check at pro-football reference showed the Raiders with 6 guys bigger than Culp in 1978 (and 3 at the same size - for a total of 9 on one team.)
That included both O and D-linemen.
And it was an annomally rather than the norm.

Another quick check on 10 other teams' rosters shows an average of about 3 guys on a roster who was bigger than Culp.

Remember, we're talking about the BIGS.
These guys usually are NT, DT, OG, or OT.

By Madden's standard, Culp was small.
By the "you-want-a-big-34-NT" standard, Culp didn't fit the bill.

And as I've pointed out, the next guy in New Orleans, a few years later, was pitifully small at 250 lbs (Moore).
(The guy that replaced him was much bigger but that was the year the Saints defense suffered. Coincidence? I don't know.)

The next guy in Philadelphia, Ken Clarke at 268 lbs, for his time, was also below average size for a NT. There were several guys on his own team that are bigger.

What these NTs had in common was the ability to penetrate and to play with good leverage.

I had watched about 40 games of Phillips' (father and son) defense through the years - in response to wolf in another thread; not counting the games I wacthed after we signed Reeves (but I did have a glimpse of a defense that was predicated by the success of the front 7 and the play of a good safety in Hamlin.)
I watched each game at least twice. I would pause and replayed the parts that I want to look further into - however many times I can bear to.)

It would take too much time to post pictures so I thought I would skip some of the Saints segment and all of the Eagles'.

The Broncos segment will come next.

Allstar
06-09-2011, 12:28 AM
This is awesome 76, rep comin your way. Is there any reason in particular you are breaking all this down into one post per picture? Sorry OCD is kicking in.

76Texan
06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
This is awesome 76, rep comin your way. Is there any reason in particular you are breaking all this down into one post per picture? Sorry OCD is kicking in.

OCD, LOL!

There's no particular reason for the one post per picture.
I just thought that it would be clearer and also, in case there's a disconnection, I don't lose the post and have to spend time redoing it.
Besides, I may have 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there.
Uploading the pix to photobucket and then bring it here takes time, especially as I'm not anywhere as quick and tech-savyy as the majority of board members here.

Anyhow, to begin the Broncos segment, I thought I'd come back to the NT position.

From 1988 to 1993, the starting NT was Greg Kragen who was 263 lbs.
By 1988, that was small by any standard.
On his own team, there was 9 guys that were bigger than Kragen.

By 1993, his last year with the Broncos (he was 31), there were 13 bigger bodies on the Broncos roster.

Once again, Kragen fit the mold of Phillips' one-gap NT.
In 94, the Broncos traded for Ted Wahington (the first big NT for Wade) from the Niners.

Kragen joined the Chiefs (who already had 2 veterans about his age.)
That defense would ranked 8th in points allowed.

For the last 3 years of his career, guess where Kragen ended up at?
I think 99% of folks won't be able to guess.
Kragen started 48 games (out of 50) in Dom Capers' 2-gap defensive scheme at Carolina.
That defense ranked 8th, 2nd, and 13th in points allowed the 3 years Kragen was there.

So, even in the 2-gap scheme that "requires" a "traditional" big NT, Kragen bucked the odd.
What he proved was that penetration can work at least just as well.

76Texan
06-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Week 4 - 1990 vs Bills
Commentator (former NFL player) talking about the Broncos D-line:
"This is not a huge defensive line.
They are a one-gap team.
Each player is only responsible for one gap.
You dont have to be big to be efficient."

That brings back the NT position.

Now Kragen only made the Pro-Bowl once, but if you look at his numbers as compared to Ted Washington, you might be surprised.

In an 8-yr stretch of their relative prime time, Washington totalled 475 tackles + assists while Kragen amassed an astounding 745 total.

So, who is Ted Washington anyway?
The Niners drafted him at #25 in 1991.
He played 3 years there before he got traded to the Broncos (Wade's).

For the Niners, he started 6 games in his second year (1992) and 12 games in his third year (1993 - missing 4 games due to some sort of injury.)
At different times, he was listed at 320, 330, and more (later on in his career).

I watched a couple of Niners' games, and I wasn't sure he was bigger than his teammate Dennis Brown (whose weight was given as 320 by the play-by-play announcer.)
The Niners also employed multiple fronts; their base was the 4-3.
In this 1993 game, a rookie named Dana Stubblefield (listed at 300 lbs) was the NT.
Washington was the UT, and Brown was a DE.

Stubblefield ended the year with 10.5 sacks.
(He made the Pro-Bowl 3 times, netting a career-high 15 sacks in 1997.)

When the Niners went with a 3-man front, I found Stubblefield more often at NT (with Brown and Washington at DE) even though all 3 saw some time in the middle.

I don't know what the Niners got in the Washington's trade after the 93 season.
But I do know that they drafted a smaller DT Bryant Young (6'3 - 291 lbs) at #7
This guy started from day one and made the Pro-Bowl 4 times.

With Washington, the Niners ranked 16th in point allowed as opposed to 6th with the rookie Young (who got a Super Bowl ring to show).

The Niners D ranked 3rd in 91 (Washington was a back-up),
4th in 92 (Washington started 6 games),
16th in 93 (Washington started 12 games),
and 6th in 1994 (without Washington).

In no way I'm talking down Washington, but as I saw it, there was more than one way to skin a cat.

I'll have some observations about Washington later which may surprise some people even further!

76Texan
06-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Turning to safety, overall, Wade has always had excellent to decent play at these positions (except for 2010).

Oilers:
Mike Renfeldt
Vernon Perry
Those two were great.

Saints:
Russell Gary, 2nd round 1981, started as a rookie
He was part of a decent safety tandem.

Eagles:
Andre Waters
Terry Hoage, 3rd by Saints the previous year.
Good pair.

Broncos:
Dennis Smith, inherited 1st roud S 1981, 7-time PB
Steve Atwatter, 1st round 1989 (1st yr for Wade) 8-time PB
One of the best tandem!

Bills:
Low draftee inherited FS Kurt Schulz, a bench warmer previously (7th round in 1992 , back up/special team 3 years, no INT)
28 INts in 6 years
Hnery Jones, inherited 1st round SS
Nice pair.

Falcons:
Undrafted FA (1999) brought over from Bills (started 22 games in 3 yrs for Bills) Bryan Scott 2nd round 2003, started 7 games as a rookie.
About average.

Chargers:
Terence Kiehl, inherited 62nd pick 2003
A pretty good tandem.

Cowboys:
FA Hamlin was good when he was there.
FA Sensabaugh was serviceable.
They should have kept Hamlin in 2010 unless he had health issue (that I'm not aware of) as Alan Ball was inconsistent in his first stint at FS.
He was a 4th year nickel who made the transition to safety in 2010.

Wade did a pretty good job overseeing the development of the young safeties, regardless where they were drafted.
He also did a good job with FAs.

The cornerbacks, however, are a different matter.
In that regard, Wade's CBs did not fare well overall.
An example would be the guys who played for Dallas last year.
If you haven't seen worse CB play than the Texans, well, there it is.

The Cowboys secondary was worse than the Texans last year, IMHO.
But that will be for later!

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Besides the NT Kragen, the best defensive players for the Broncos during Wade's tenure were:

- 6-time Pro-Bowler Karl Mecklenburg who, for 5 seasons (between 1989 to 1993), averaged nearly 8 sacks and more than 120 tackles/assists per season from the ILB position.

In 1994, at the age of 34, the Sackmaster (as they called him) nearly didn't play due to injury, but somehow managed to start 15 games.
He was no where his usual self.
His production fell off sharply to just 1.5 sacks and 58 tackles/assists.
He retired after the 94 season.

(Note: For those who fears that Cushing might become a waste at ILB, don't fret too much.
As I've said before, there are plenty of opportunities from different positions.)

- OLB Simon Fletcher who averaged over 13 sacks and nearly 100 tackles/assists between SAM and WILL.

Fletcher's number also dropped off sharply in 1994 (about 50%).
This was the year Ted Washington joined the Broncos (more on this later.)

- OLB/ILB Michael Brooks, the run-stopper, who averaged 155 tackles/assists for 4 years.
The Broncos lost him in FA in 1993.

He was replaced by FA David Wyman (a former #45 pick of the Seahawks).
Wyman had his career year with the Broncos, tallying 133 tackles/assists.
Wyman was hurt in 1994 and played in only 4 games (with zero start).

(Note: Between Cushing and Demeco Ryans, we don't know how they will be used.
There's a possibility one will be in the Sackmaster's mold and one in the Michael Brook's mold.
Or they both can be something in between.

- In 1991, Wade drafted LB Mike Croel at #4 overall.
He started 10 games in his rookie season and ended up with 10 sacks and was named DROY.
(Mecklenburg had 9 sacks in this same year. Notice that both played ILB.
This was the year Michael Brooks played OLB.
Brooks and Croel switched position the next year, 1992.)

At OLB, Croel had 5 sacks in both 92 and 93.
So you just don't know which position (OLB or ILB) can end up with more sacks.

Croel averaged 97 tackles/assists in his first three years.
His production took a nose dive in 1994 - again, the same year Ted Washington came on board.
(No sack and just 39 tackles/assists while starting 12 of 13 games.)

He was deemed a bust, playing 3 more years with 3 different teams, without much production to show for.
I've no idea what went wrong for him.

- Shane Dronett, a 2nd round pick in 1992, averaged 6.5 sack in 3 seasons as a DE.
That included his rookie season in which he started just 2 games.
He had 6.5 sack that year, in 1992.
(Rookie, you hear that!?! )

And of course, there was Steve Atwater, an 8-time Pro-Bowl FS and Dennis Smith, a 6-time Pro-Bowl SS.

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Next, comes a twist in the line-up.

In the AFC Playoff game in 1992 against the Oilers and Warren Moon, Wade brought out the Tiger defense to combat the 4-WR, one-back Run & Shoot.

It constitutes of a 3-man front, 2 LBs in the middle and 5 DBs.
The Broncos were without one of their starting CB Henderson.
That might have been partially a reason for the change.

Here's the normal 3-4 defense:

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/vlcsnap-6874687.png

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:24 AM
In an effort to put their best pass rushers as well as their best run stopper (Michael Brooks) on the field, Wade sent out an unorthodox line-up.

He kept the NT Kragen, but left the 2 DEs (Powers and Holmes) on the side-line (these guys became situational subs, as well as the rookie Dronett.)

Remember also that the CB Henderson was out of the line-up due to injury.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/vlcsnap-6875211.png

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
He moved Mike Croel to ILB.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/vlcsnap-6875325.png

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
He then up the Sackmaster Mecklenburg to one DE spot.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/vlcsnap-6875412.png

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Simon Fletcher was moved to the other DE spot.
Fletcher had 16 sacks this year.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/vlcsnap-6875494.png

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:35 AM
With 2 safeties and 4 CBs, the result was the Tiger defense.
This is one form of a Dime defense.
In this game, it was used as the base defense for a vast majority of the time.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/vlcsnap-6875551.png

76Texan
06-14-2011, 12:38 AM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/1Tiger3-2DefensevsRunandShoot.png

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/Lineup%20Change/2DimepackageinTigerD-oneofstartingCBwasout.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:01 AM
You probably wonder about the effectiveness of the scheme, so let me go ahead and recap the game.

The scheme was sound, but the defense execution could have been better.
It was enough to out a 26-24 victory, nevertheless.
And the "slackers" included the two All-Pro safeties.

On the first play of the gme, Moon quickly picked on the replacement Dimry for a 50-yd completion to Jeffires.
The FS Atwater had halfheartedly given a blitz look, but still could't get back in time.

I would think it was more Atwater's "fault" since the CB had turned the receiver inside, most likely expecting safety help within the design of the Defensive call.
IMO, it shouldn't be a stretch to think that the defense wanted Moon to make that throw.
Atwater just had to get back pronto because a veteran like Moon wasn't go waste time surveying the field.
Soon as he identified the one-on-one opportunity (as Atwater stepped up showing blitz) Moon would go right to it.

It would have been foolish for the D to let the receiver release inside toward an vast empty portion in the middle of the field.
I don't care if you have Asomugha covering, such a scheme put the CB at an extreme disadvantage; ie. putting a player in a position to fail (I can't stress this enough becuase this is the position Kareem Jackson was put in quite a bit last year.)

In Wade's scheme, this would be the inverted cover 2.
I will have more examples.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/1st%20Drive/3Moonwassharp-hequicklybeatdoublecoveragefora50ydbombtoDuncan.pn g

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
A few plays later, Moon beat the double team for a TD as the culprit was Atwater once again.
He reminds of Pollard, never looking back at the ball.
Atwater was the guy on the inside of the bracket; he could have broken up the pass if he knew where it was going.
Again, this was within the concept of an inside/outside bracket in inverted cover 2.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/1st%20Drive/4Moonquicklybeatdoublecoverageagainfora14ydTDtosta rtthegame.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:11 AM
On the Oilers 2nd drive, Moon continued to be sharp as he led the Oilers on a 64yd scoring drive despite the pressure from the Broncos D. And when Moon is on his game, there wasn't much a defense can do.

Here, there was good coverage, but Moon scrambled for 15 as Macklenburg lost containment.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/11GoodcoverageMoonscrambledfor15as77lostcontainmen t.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Munchak got beat and had to hold DROY Croel.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/13MunchakheldDROYCroel.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:13 AM
A 4-man pressure forced Moon to hrow the ball away on this play.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/144-manpressureforcedMoontothrowtheballaway.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Moon capped the drive with a 9-yd TD pass to the soon-to-be retireee Drew Hill in the middle.

The Broncos brought up two secondary players and blized 7.

All-Pro D. Smith was to cover Hill. He incorrectly "guessed" an outside move by Hill and tried to get ahead of the route. Instead, Hill cut to the inside and was wide open for the score.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/16Alloutblitz.png

All-out blitz.

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Dennis Smith (inside) getting ready for Drew Hill (slot receiver.)

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/17AllProSmithvsretireeDrewHill.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Smith jumped the outside route, Hill cut back to the inside.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/18Out-InMovebyHill.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Drew Hill wide open for the TD.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/2nd%20drive/19TD.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:52 AM
The Oilers marched 80yd and scored again to lead 21-6.

Atwater had come up with a pick as Moon made a bad throw under pressure. The LDE Holmes forced the poor decision by Moon, but the young back-up LB (Mills) made a dumb mistake when he grabbed Moon and threw him to the ground.
It would have given the Broncos the ball just outside the Oilers 27. Instead, the Oilers got a 15-yd "roughing-the-passer" penalty and went on to score.

This was at least a 10-point swing.

Here's Atwater INT within the bracket concept of inverted cover 2.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/3rd%20drive/INTcalledback.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
The INT was nullified; instead the Broncos were hit with a 15-yd roughing the passer penalty.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/3rd%20drive/Unecessaryroughingthepasser.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Moon capped the drive by throwing a 5 yd-TD pass to Duncan who had gotten away with a push-off on the CB to get separation on a swirl route (in/out).

Here's Duncan (on the outside) running a slant in.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/3rd%20drive/vlcsnap-7044325.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Duncan pushed off on the LCB.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/3rd%20drive/vlcsnap-7044670.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Gaining separation, Duncan swirled back to the outside.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/3rd%20drive/vlcsnap-7044720.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
TD!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/3rd%20drive/vlcsnap-7044820.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Atwater would get his INT on the next drive, again, within the bracket concept of an unverted cover 2.

Here, you can see both safeties in brackets with the two CBs.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/4th%20drive%20INT/vlcsnap-7047924.png

76Texan
06-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Actually, the inverted cover 2 is a staple in Wade's defense as you see here and you will see later all the way to the Cowboys.
In this scheme, at times, the CB would be hung out to dry if the safety doesn't get back quickly enough.)

The Bronces scored to pull within 13-21 at the half.

In the second half, the Broncos cranked up the blitzes a little more.
They put a few more hits on Moon and he wasn't as sharp.
Moon had 109 passing yards in the 2nd half as the Oilers managed just a FG.

A timely sack here, some pressure there, good coverage here, double coverage there (including that inverted cover 2).

The scheme (Tiger D) was sound and it worked well when the players executed the plan, keeping to minimal mistake.
I doubt that we'll see the Tiger defense with the Texans, but it's good to know that Wade is flexible; that he can adapt to try to put his best players on the field against certain offense, and to put his players in position to make play.

Next, I will get to a little bit of how the LBs are used in coverage.
Also, I'll take a couple of shots at Pattern Matching.

drs23
06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Atwater would get his INT on the next drive, again, within the bracket concept of an unverted cover 2.

Here, you can see both safeties in brackets with the two CBs.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Broncos/Tiger%20Defense%20vs%20Oilers/4th%20drive%20INT/vlcsnap-7047924.png

So THAT'S safety help over the top? What a novel concept. :kitten: