PDA

View Full Version : Is it true: Season Ticket Holders Being Pressured

CloakNNNdagger
05-25-2011, 06:13 PM
...........to put down their money (without guarantee of a season or full season).................or they will lose their seats or possibly their PSL? I've heard from several ticket holders that this is going on now.

NitroGSXR
05-25-2011, 07:14 PM
...........to put down their money (without guarantee of a season or full season).................or they will lose their seats or possibly their PSL? I've heard from several ticket holders that this is going on now.

Yes. I have actual email correspondence from my rep. I'd be happy to forward it to you in its entirety. I am absolutely disgusted... not at my rep, she's great, just the Texans. I am tired of being bullied out of my money. This is a bull**** move. Shame on them...

No more nice guy.

Ckw
05-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes. I have actual email correspondence from my rep. I'd be happy to forward it to you in its entirety. I am absolutely disgusted... not at my rep, she's great, just the Texans. I am tired of being bullied out of my money. This is a bull**** move. Shame on them...

No more nice guy.

Wow!!!! You should post the letter here. That is some BS!!! What an absolute joke of an organization. Bunch of money hungry sons of bitches is what they are.

Stemp
05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
You HAVE to pay for your season tickets each year or you lose your PSL.
If there isn't a season or games are missed, they will give a refund or apply to the next year. Made my last payment couple of weeks ago and now they get to keep my money till they decide to settle this mess.

Kaiser Toro
05-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Refund + 1% interest should there be no season.

NitroGSXR
05-25-2011, 08:30 PM

And my money makes 13% interest where it's at now. They are trying to fleece you.

CloakNNNdagger
05-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Such a deal. Let me see. On a $1000 dollar seat, you get $10 back. That wouldn't even make up for the rate of inflation. The way inflation is going, especially with food, I would dare say, many fans would find better use of their money immediately than having it sit in the owner's coffers while they wait to see if and when the season begins, something that has always been in their ultimate control. It is bad enough that this season is likely to be compromised of quality even if it is "salvaged." If $10 can be considered by the owner to be adequate "compensation," then I suggest that it should be an adequate deposit for the fan.:mcnugget:

steelbtexan
05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Such a deal. Let me see. On a $1000 dollar seat, you get $10 back. That wouldn't even make up for the rate of inflation. The way inflation is going, especially with food, I would dare say, many fans would find better use of their money immediately than having it sit in the owner's coffers while they wait to see if and when the season begins, something that has always been in their ultimate control. It is bad enough that this season is likely to be compromised of quality even if it is "salvaged." If $10 can be considered by the owner to be adequate "compensation," then I suggest that it should be an adequate deposit for the fan.:mcnugget:

Cant you just see BoB sitting around his office saying how can we fleece the fans this yr.

Then Rootes says lets offer them 1% it will eqaul $10 per fan. Then BoB says that's a great idea. That'why we hired you Jamey. I will give you a 1% raise, but now you need go tell the other FO personell that we are going to implement a 1 week furlough each month until the lockout ends.

I'm about sick of these greedy bast**ds.

BIG TORO
05-26-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't see what the big deal is! It's a business every thing has to run in order. What are they suppose to do wait to the last minute and say OK lock out is over everybody hurry up give us your money. We are talking over tens of thousands of people you have to keep organized so that come football time everything is in order and everyone is paid up.

DonnyMost
05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't see what the big deal is! It's a business every thing has to run in order. What are they suppose to do wait to the last minute and say OK lock out is over everybody hurry up give us your money. We are talking over tens of thousands of people you have to keep organized so that come football time everything is in order and everyone is paid up.

Yep, that's exactly what they should do.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14857712/giants-delay-seasonticket-renewals-until-lockout-ends/rss

CloakNNNdagger
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM

If the owner is threathening, but justifies it with a possible 1% refund, you're right, it's just business.............the fans are the ones "getting the business." And if the fan really wants to enjoy "the business," if there is no season, they can keep their money in the owner's pocket for more than a year and let it roll over to next season...........and, maybe, get back a whopping 1% in return.........could come in handy for filling a 2-3 gallon gas can you can keep in the trunk in case you run out gas while idling on Kirby waiting to get to your parking spot. :spin:

disaacks3
05-26-2011, 10:29 AM
And my money makes 13% interest where it's at now. They are trying to fleece you. I want to know where you're investing, I'd take a steady 13%.

I don't see what the big deal is! It's a business every thing has to run in order. What are they suppose to do wait to the last minute and say OK lock out is over everybody hurry up give us your money. We are talking over tens of thousands of people you have to keep organized so that come football time everything is in order and everyone is paid up. Donny already beat me to it...the Giants aren't charging their folks a DIME until the lockout ends.

BIG TORO
05-26-2011, 11:16 AM
The way I look at from a business perspective is How do you know who is in and who is out. If you dont have anyone paying because there is a lock out, you don't know who is really in and who is out. If the lock out gets settled right before the season starts or in pre season the organization would find it self having alot of empty seats because they didnt know what seat were available to sell ahead of time.

CloakNNNdagger
05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
The way I look at from a business perspective is How do you know who is in and who is out. If you dont have anyone paying because there is a lock out, you don't know who is really in and who is out. If the lock out gets settled right before the season starts or in pre season the organization would find it self having alot of empty seats because they didnt know what seat were available to sell ahead of time.

Isn't that THEIR problem. Shouldn't that have been thought about BEFORE instituting the lockout. There's a saying that is couseled to procrastinators and bipolar patients when they complain about the havoc they have created and has come back to bite them in the butt.........

Procrastination or poorly thought out plans on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. :francis:

jaayteetx
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I want to know where you're investing, I'd take a steady 13%.

Donny already beat me to it...the Giants aren't charging their folks a DIME until the lockout ends.

No kidding!

Ckw
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Isn't that THEIR problem. Shouldn't that have been thought about that BEFORE instituting the lockout. There's a saying that is couseled to procrastinators and bipolar patients when they complain about the havoc they have created and has come back to bite them in the butt.........

:francis:

Exactly! I really cannot begin to fathom how people can support this greedy behavior by the sob's at One Reliant Park.

Hardcore Texan
05-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I paid my invoice like normal, haven't been bullied or anything like that.

I am however not happy about having to pay for the tickets during the lockout even though it's refundable.

NitroGSXR
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Donny already beat me to it...the Giants aren't charging their folks a DIME until the lockout ends.

Haha. It's called getting smart but mostly small caps and some junk bonds. My dad really taught me a lot. I'll PM you some details after work. If I forget, remind me.

NitroGSXR
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM

They are doing what the IRS does when you overpay into your taxes. They are "borrowing" that money and reaping the interest benefits. It is a slap in my face to be forced into this at 1% and the Texans know this. I'm going with 13% for the sake of this thread... 12% of 70k seats paid in full is a hell of a lot of interest for them. One percent for me? Eat my shorts. Truth be told, I don't care so much abut the $100. Its the slap in the face that's got me a bit... upright. 1%? I'm Deaf. Not stupid.

eriadoc
05-26-2011, 03:00 PM
There is clearly not enough indignation in this thread.

Double Barrel
05-26-2011, 04:09 PM
It's only lip service when the NFL talks about fans. Clearly the fans represent one thing to them, and you are fooling yourself if you think that any of us mean more to them than that.

steelbtexan
05-26-2011, 08:39 PM

How are the Giants going to make ends meet ?

I dont believe Mara/Tisch have had layoffs/furloughs.

Has BoB made layoffs/furloughs? I honestly dont know the answer to that ?

Reports coming out of the Texans FO concerning this have been few and far between.

steelbtexan
05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
It's only lip service when the NFL talks about fans. Clearly the fans represent one thing to them, and you are fooling yourself if you think that any of us mean more to them than that.

Cant rep you

The truth can be ugly sometimes.

NitroGSXR
05-27-2011, 12:08 AM
I forwarded my email conversation to CloaknnnDagger. I do not have the capability to post that at this time. I can't cut and paste on my device so I have asked for his help in posting.

1%? I feel insulted... nonono... I feel used... especially after being such a dedicated fan from 188 miles away door-to-stadium season after season... Raise prices fine but to insult me out of my money? Eh. I guess my TV has a better picture anyway. Maybe pick up a game or two here and there but as a dedicated season ticket holder? I don't know anymore. I really feel different this time around. Its going to take me a long time to recover from this...

:texan:

CloakNNNdagger
05-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I forwarded my email conversation to CloaknnnDagger. I do not have the capability to post that at this time. I can't cut and paste on my device so I have asked for his help in posting.

1%? I feel insulted... nonono... I feel used... especially after being such a dedicated fan from 188 miles away door-to-stadium season after season... Raise prices fine but to insult me out of my money? Eh. I guess my TV has a better picture anyway. Maybe pick up a game or two here and there but as a dedicated season ticket holder? I don't know anymore. I really feel different this time around. Its going to take me a long time to recover from this...

:texan:

The dialogue between us. I never responded back [to the last e-mail].

On Tue May 3rd, 2011 3:32 PM CDT Cordes, Katie wrote:

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to get in touch with you about your season ticket account. I just noticed that we haven't received a payment from you yet. Are you still planning on buying your season tickets?

Katie Cordes
Customer Service Representative
Houston Texans
Reliant Stadium
Two Reliant Park
Houston, TX 77054-1573
832.667.2191 (fax)
www.houstontexans.com<http://www.houstontexans.com/>

GO TEXANS!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:09 AM
To: Cordes, Katie
Subject: Re: Houston Texans Season Tickets

Hi Katie,
Am I going to pay? How about this... are the owners going to lift this lockout nonsense? Have they not learned from the MLB disaster back in 1994. Almost 20 years later and MLB isn't the same.

I have to be honest... watching billionaires squabble with multi-millionaires while I struggle to provide for my family has really left a bad bad bad taste in my mouth. Especially at the 1% interest offer from Bobby McBillionaire if the season ends up beng cancelled. My money is best left in my bank account at this point considering.

I know none of this is your fault nor can you do anything about it but I am a very unhappy fan. Bluntly honest is how I am trying to approach this.
--Mike

Sent: Wed May 4th, 2011 8:51 AM CDT
To: nitrohanda
Subject: Re: Houston Texans Season Tickets

Mike,

I completely understand where you are coming from. We are pretty frustrated with the situation too since there is nothing we can do about it.

At the risk of upsetting you more though, I have to at least ask if you can put down a 25% payment ($408.75) by Friday in order to hold your seats longer. You may have received an email from one of our reps about this. We understand if you would like to hold out for the rest of the payments but at least this would let us know you are committed to coming back once this lockout/CBA is settled. In the meantime, I have noted your account as to why there hasn't been a payment to date.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Katie Cordes
Houston Texans

This was my response to Nitro after he sent me his e-mail interchange. We both agreed that this should be "shared" information with the TexansTalk board members.

Mike,

I find it strange that they found it acceptable to "haggle" a price for
you, when this is not something that others were offered. My guess is that
you are not the only one that gets special offerings when they are seen to be
seriously pulling out. It looks like they are just trying to see how far
they can push fans, and when fans like you stick to their guns, they try to
get whatever money they CAN squeeze out of you.

This communication should be shared with other Texans fans. Of course,
that's only if you feel comfortable in doing so. None the less, my hat's off
to you for doing something that too many are "afraid" to do because they are held hostage by a team they truly love.

Thanks for sharing,
Jean

BigWig
05-27-2011, 07:40 AM
And my money makes 13% interest where it's at now. They are trying to fleece you.

WOW, I wanna bank where you bank, whats the secret?

Blake
05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
I am as pissed off as everyone else about this. The 1% back is a joke. They could play 2 games and you wouldnt get that 1%.

I paid my 25% to reserve my season tickets. They wont do anything if you have a few hudered down on your seats. They will get the rest when they sign a new CBA.

Double Barrel
05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
"Bobby McBillionaire"!!! :spit: Rep to Nitro!

NitroGSXR
05-27-2011, 11:25 AM
WOW, I wanna bank where you bank, whats the secret?

Jesus. I wish I didn't say anything. Focus, people...

NitroGSXR
05-27-2011, 11:46 AM
I am as pissed off as everyone else about this. The 1% back is a joke. They could play 2 games and you wouldnt get that 1%.

I paid my 25% to reserve my season tickets. They wont do anything if you have a few hudered down on your seats. They will get the rest when they sign a new CBA.

How long you been a season ticket holder? That right there should be enough to secure your seats...

Hardcore Texan
05-27-2011, 02:15 PM

1%? I feel insulted... nonono... I feel used... especially after being such a dedicated fan from 188 miles away door-to-stadium season after season... Raise prices fine but to insult me out of my money? Eh. I guess my TV has a better picture anyway. Maybe pick up a game or two here and there but as a dedicated season ticket holder? I don't know anymore. I really feel different this time around. Its going to take me a long time to recover from this...:texan:

Me too.

Dr2bKay
05-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow, this is the first that I have ever heard of this....but anyways...

Did anyone have a Platinum lot parking pass that they are now not wanting due to the greed of the owners? I am sure that someone can find a home for it. :-)

Texans Fans despite it all....

CloakNNNdagger
05-28-2011, 08:29 AM
McNair not among owners squeezing staffers while their bank accounts grow

It’s amazing to me how many teams are cutting pay and forcing staffers to take work furloughs during the lockout.

Why?

Because owners have your ticket money, and it’s drawing interest. They didn’t have to pay March roster bonuses to players who had them in their contracts. And they haven’t paid a signing bonus to a free agent.

At this time, the owners are saving money, and yet many of them are cutting payroll of people in the organization.

Now, at some point, the owners will have to pay those March roster bonuses, and when free agency begins, they’ll be paying signing bonuses. But when the league resumes play, probably because of a new collective bargaining agreement rather than a decision in court, the owners will get their television money.

Some owners say they won’t cut anybody anytime. Their employees are very fortunate.

Here’s where the Texans stand: In March, Bob McNair said it will be business as usual with the Texans, but if games are canceled, and he has to return ticket money with interest, then he’ll revisit his decision.

Funny, how McClain is reporting nothing new....but just what was stated back in March........."conditions" that has since then changed dramatically. If fans were to have stuck together and insisted on 1% DEPOSIT (instead of 1% refund) until the lockout was lifted, the status of the lockout would have long been resolved by the owners. Money..........or should I say, the loss of money.......... is the only thing that seems to draw attention to reality.

gtexan02
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Is there a bank that will give you greater than 1% interest guaranteed right now?

I just checked Money Market Accounts and Savings Accounts APY for Houston and the highest I found was 1%.

If you got creative with investing, sure, its easy to earn greater than 1%. But not with 0% risk. 1% seems to be pretty reasonable considering the current rates

Yankee_In_TX
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Someone needs to bust out the PSL or season ticket contract. I bet the language in the contract we signed pretty much says we have to pay no matter what.

In fact, I think it says if you miss the payment deadline your seats go 'poof,' so they're actually beding by letting folks just put 25% down.

Sooo....... Sorry it seems unfair, but it IS the golden rule, those who have the gold rule.

Yankee_In_TX
05-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Funny, how McClain is reporting nothing new....

Ever.

lol

eriadoc
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Sooo....... Sorry it seems unfair, but it IS the golden rule, those who have the gold rule.

:popcorn:

Yankee_In_TX
05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Someone needs to bust out the PSL or season ticket contract. I bet the language in the contract we signed pretty much says we have to pay no matter what.

In fact, I think it says if you miss the payment deadline your seats go 'poof,' so they're actually beding by letting folks just put 25% down.

To reply to a private note I got - 'what if all PSL holders bailed?'

I agree, if all the PSL holders bailed the Texans would be caught with their pants down - but I bet within 60 days would have them all re-sold. Then the joke is on us sitting at home.

It is like people saying 'I'm not going to renew my season tickets and we'll teach the Texans a lesson about the crap on the field' - we all know that just doesn't work because so many of us are not willing to give up our season tickets or psl's.

CloakNNNdagger
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM

I agree, if all the PSL holders bailed the Texans would be caught with their pants down - but I bet within 60 days would have them all re-sold. Then the joke is on us sitting at home.

It is like people saying 'I'm not going to renew my season tickets and we'll teach the Texans a lesson about the crap on the field' - we all know that just doesn't work because so many of us are not willing to give up our season tickets or psl's.

I don't know how many PSLs would be bought up in this economy. There are probably enough PSL holders out there that would want to go back to the old days, where you hold season tickets with the option of renewal or upgrade or even downgrade.

Double Barrel
05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
To Then the joke is on us sitting at home.

That all depends on what you consider the punchline to that joke, my friend. :winky:

NitroGSXR
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM

See... I don't care about sending a message to the Texans. Its why I didn't respond to their email. I know that I am just a mere grain of sand on the beach. I just feel that I can get better value for my money elsewhere at this point. I owe it to my family...

FWIW, I am a non-PSL season ticket holder...

Blake
06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
How long you been a season ticket holder?

Since 2004. Non PSL.

That right there should be enough to secure your seats...

Maybe it should be. But I am not willing to risk it to find out. I guess I dont see a problem with dropping $400 to secure my seats.

Yankee_In_TX
06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
That all depends on what you consider the punchline to that joke, my friend. :winky:

LOL, well, if I gave up my psl's to prove a point and they resold the entire stadium in the span of a few months, the joke would be on me :)

Yankee_In_TX
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I just feel that I can get better value for my money elsewhere at this point. I owe it to my family...

And I see nothing wrong with that! Completely your choice as to what you feel is best for you and your family.

NitroGSXR
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Since 2004. Non PSL.

Maybe it should be. But I am not willing to risk it to find out. I guess I dont see a problem with dropping $400 to secure my seats.

More power to you.

We all have our breaking points. This one in particular was mine. The 1994 MLB strike negatively affected me in this light. The cancellation of the World Series was a real gut check for me. I am not really sweating this lockout stuff. It is what it is but I'm not going to be "used" in the process. I am in no mood to explain to my 9 year old what exactly is the holdup here... I watch enough NFLn/ESPN that he understands there's something massively financial going on.

He also understands the amazing cost to our family... financially, mentally, and physically (I know you understand being a dedicated out-of-town fan yourself) to be able to attend these games week in, week out. Considering all three factors, it's amazing how much we spend only to get p'unked with a 1% guarantee. With that extra money laying around, I think we're buying expensive Schlitterbahn season passes this summer instead of the 6 Flags that we do annually. I think it'll be less confusing to my kid and me as well. Seems a bit easier to come away with a big wet smile on our faces than watching billionaires squabble with millionaires all the while holding my money hostage.

I'm exhausted. Ima go hit the lazy river for a while.

Double Barrel
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Schlitterbahn is awesome, man. I can't blame you one bit. Is it good for all Schlitterbahn locations? The one in Galveston is cool, too!

SheTexan
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Fans look at this a bunch of different ways. For me, it's my entertainment. Yep, sometimes my choice of entertainment SUCKS, but, it's my choice. Securing my seats by paying up now just puts my mind at ease. WHENEVER the season starts I'll be ready to do my part as a diehard Texan fan! Profootball will return, its just a matter of when. If we don't have a season I'm good to go for 2012. I'm just not gonna stress over the % of interest lost. Just like I didn't stress over the couple thousand bucks I've spent since Feb over other entertainment ventures. I didn't get any interest on that either.

Dr2bKay
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Fans look at this a bunch of different ways. For me, it's my entertainment. Yep, sometimes my choice of entertainment SUCKS, but, it's my choice. Securing my seats by paying up now just puts my mind at ease. WHENEVER the season starts I'll be ready to do my part as a diehard Texan fan! Profootball will return, its just a matter of when. If we don't have a season I'm good to go for 2012. I'm just not gonna stress over the % of interest lost. Just like I didn't stress over the couple thousand bucks I've spent since Feb over other entertainment ventures. I didn't get any interest on that either.

:goodpost:

My exact thoughts and feelings about this matter... #diehard

DonnyMost
06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I kind of hope they cancel the season so I can say I made some money (albeit a paltry 1%) off of Uncle Bob.

Forcing fans to pay up when you're deliberately trying to ensure that the games aren't played is such a freaking joke.

Blake
06-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I kind of hope they cancel the season so I can say I made some money (albeit a paltry 1%) off of Uncle Bob.

Forcing fans to pay up when you're deliberately trying to ensure that the games aren't played is such a freaking joke.

Good luck. I think they would squeek in a couple of games so that they dont have to pay you the 1%. This is from the email they sent me.

If you are paid in full by the May 17th deadline, and we do not play any games in the 2011 season, you will be refunded your payment in full plus 1% interest. The league deadline of May 15th is extended to these accounts since many are on our payment plan, scheduled to run the final payment on May 17th.

To me that says they can play 1 game and keep their 1%.

eriadoc
06-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Fans paying up is the joke.

ATXtexanfan
06-02-2011, 08:55 PM
hmmm.... so i went to pay off my tix in the account manager and no invoices were found. guess i will call tomorrow
system update or something, check in the mail

texanmojo
06-04-2011, 10:06 PM
For me...its business as usual. I paid my tickets...100%. Each of you have great reasons one way or another for paying or not paying. I get it. I really do. If nothing happens this season...so be it. Its beyond my control.

All I can do is hoe there is football this fall. If so...great. If not...I'll just travel all over the state/country on my motorcycle.

CloakNNNdagger
06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
League says season-ticket sales are now down (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/06/league-says-season-ticket-sales-are-now-down/)

Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal recently reported NFL owners were informed at a meeting in Indianapolis that season-ticket sales surprisingly were ahead of the 2010 pace, despite the lockout.

Per Kaplan, the league now claims that the sales are behind last year’s numbers.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy explained to Kaplan that the sales figures shared with the owners applied only through May 6. When adjusting the totals through May 31, the numbers have dropped. McCarthy also said that renewals of suites and club seats “have slowed to a crawl.”

The league apparently is trying to counter, as Kaplan explains it, criticism of teams for “cutting back and laying off and furloughing employees” at a time when sales were actually up.

But the new figures don’t make the situation any better, in our view. The NFL has been planning to lock out the players for years. Why not also plan to take care of the folks caught in the middle? Last year, in the final year of the labor deal, teams were able to set aside plenty of money thanks to the absence of a salary floor and the disappearance of various types of player benefits. They teams should have set some of that money aside to help pay the employees who are now feeling the pain for a wound they didn’t inflict.

To the extent that the cuts are merely part of some broader effort to demonstrate that the teams are suffering during the lockout, then it’s one of the dumbest P.R. efforts we’ve ever seen. This isn’t a recession or some other external hardship. The NFL has brought this financial crisis on itself in an effort to get a bigger piece of the revenue pie from the players. Thus, the only team officials who fairly should be losing any money as a result of the lockout are the owners.

CloakNNNdagger
06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Here's a group.........the secondary ticket crooks (sellers).........you just can't feel too sorry for. But it does reflect what is going on with fans.

It was about 10:30 one night last month when Frank Fullerton opened his laptop. He was in the “Panthers room” of his home on the outskirts of Charlotte. While most of the house features neutral colors, in this room Fullerton has a giant 12-foot team logo painted on a blue wall. A custom-made Vinny Testaverde Panthers jersey hangs near the entrance.

Fullerton began typing. “I’m selling my season tickets for the coming season,” he wrote, “if there is one.”

Former Redskins assistant Chris Meidt is called down another aisle
Agent Joby Branion draws strength from past to advise football stars
NFL lockout puts Rashad Carmichael’s career with the Houston Texans on hold
View all Items in this Story

He’s owned the two seats in Section 321 since the Panthers moved into Bank of America Stadium in 1996. His passion for the team hasn’t wavered, despite the team’s dismal 2-14 record last season. But he lost his sales job a couple of years ago. He lived off old stocks for a while and though he’s only 53 years old, he recently began dipping into his IRAs.

“Same thing that’s happened to a lot of people,” is how he explained his situation. “Companies have been cutting back everywhere. It makes it hard for anyone to justify three grand for football games.”

The advertisement for his tickets went up on Craigslist. He was only asking for face value, but no matter how many times Fullerton checked his in box, there was no response.

It’s a tough time to sell pro football tickets. Since NFL owners locked out their players in March, league officials, ticket brokers and season ticket holders have all reported a difficult time moving tickets.

NFL owners and players are at a stalemate in negotiations for a new labor agreement, and they might stand to lose the most by a prolonged work stoppage. But there is a trickle-down effect that has many others carefully monitoring the dispute, from those in charge of merchandising to the restaurants and bars surrounding NFL stadiums to businesses large and small that depend on the NFL for advertising, entertaining clients and promoting their brands.

“We’re one of the peripheral figures that are affected by this lockout,” said Glenn Lehrman, a spokesman for StubHub, one of the most popular outposts for buying and selling tickets on the secondary market. “Like so many others — vendors, merchants — we’re all in the same boat.”

The two sides have recently begun private talks about a labor deal, and an agreement couldn’t come soon enough for many. While the full impact wouldn’t hit until September, some businesses have contingency plans in place. The lockout has presented large advertisers such as Pepsi, Budweiser and Mars, maker of the Snickers candy bar, with difficult decisions about budgeting, media buys, in-store displays and campaign rollouts.

‘Big picture is still bad news’

Those in the ticket business are already feeling the impact. Ticket sales are down 53 percent from the same time a year ago, according to Don Vaccaro, chief executive of TicketNetwork, one of the country’s leading online ticket exchanges.

“That is a huge, huge swing,” he said. “It seems that a lot of folks on the lower end aren’t buying tickets, and it could be the start of a multiyear problem for the NFL, like we’ve seen with some other leagues.”link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-ticket-sales-are-affected-by-lockout/2011/06/03/AG7oHCLH_story.html)

Blake
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
You cheap asses. Just pay your dues! I hear Bob McNair had to cut back on his private Jet staff during his trip to Europe.

BigWig
06-10-2011, 07:34 AM
So how are they going to handle it if there is a shortened 8 game season?
Has there been any correspondence sent out about that?

disaacks3
06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
So how are they going to handle it if there is a shortened 8 game season?
Has there been any correspondence sent out about that? In the case of the Texans, you'd get whatever games weren't played refunded....plus 1% interest.

ATXtexanfan
06-15-2011, 06:51 PM
so i paid off my tix and relocated a few sections over. the rep said reliant was at about 90% capacity and they expected to sell out the stadium once the lockout was lifted. thats was she said

silvrhand
06-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Sigh..

Seriously we all entered into the PSL contract knowing good and well why we did it, the contract doesn't make amendments for anything like this so to adhere to the contract you signed.. pay your dues and wait.

And I'm sorry noone is making a steady 13% interest in this market right now.

Blake
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Sigh..

Seriously we all entered into the PSL contract knowing good and well why we did it, the contract doesn't make amendments for anything like this so to adhere to the contract you signed.. pay your dues and wait.

And I'm sorry noone is making a steady 13% interest in this market right now.

Your NOT making 13%? I have a great opportunity for you then. Its not a pyramid scheme, but I was recruited to sell these cards, and now im recruiting you. And if you think this is a quick rich scheme, well Yes! You will get rich quick. We all will!

:spin:

Ole Miss Texan
06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I think they would be dumb for not asking for payment now.

I'm just really glad to see they're not laying employees off like other clubs are.

Ole Miss Texan
06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Is there a bank that will give you greater than 1% interest guaranteed right now?

I just checked Money Market Accounts and Savings Accounts APY for Houston and the highest I found was 1%.

If you got creative with investing, sure, its easy to earn greater than 1%. But not with 0% risk. 1% seems to be pretty reasonable considering the current rates
Not to mention you pay now and if there's no season you get your money back plus that 1%.... SIX months from now, not a year! Good luck finding a 6 month CD with that rate.

silvrhand
06-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Not to mention you pay now and if there's no season you get your money back plus that 1%.... SIX months from now, not a year! Good luck finding a 6 month CD with that rate.

https://www.google.com/advisor/uscd?kw=6+month+CD+rates&q=6+month+cd+rates&s=1

Ole Miss Texan
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
https://www.google.com/advisor/uscd?kw=6+month+CD+rates&q=6+month+cd+rates&s=1
Per link, 6 month CD rates are 0.52%

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2011, 09:59 PM
What may to be lost here is that, the way the economy is going, in 6 months your money will be worth less. Some would rather have that money now to be able to spend their money on things they want/need now at probably a better return on that cash purchase.

BIG TORO
06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I think if people have to worry about how much intrest they are going to get in return if there is a lock out, they might not want to be investing in football at all! No one is making anyone invest in football it's a luxury!

Bull Pen 1
06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
If you didn't pay for your tickets as a normally year, would you have the money set aside to pay for all of it at once, once the lockout is over. I don't think so.

NitroGSXR
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM
If you didn't pay for your tickets as a normally year, would you have the money set aside to pay for all of it at once, once the lockout is over. I don't think so.

I've got it. What's your point?

Yankee_In_TX
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Per link, 6 month CD rates are 0.52%

LOL, what is the 6 month inflation rate these days?

Ole Miss Texan
06-23-2011, 02:50 PM
LOL, what is the 6 month inflation rate these days?
Haha most likely higher!

I still just don't really see the big deal of paying for your tickets in advance, as in now, likely when you normally would. Has anyone tried to collect money from people for an event? It's hell when you wait right before the even starts.

Sure there's the risk that a season may not occur, but quite frankly I find that extremely unlikely. Even if that were to happen (worst case scenario), you would get your money back or at least pro rata on the number games played/lost. No season? Boom I get my money back... sucks but at least I'm not out anything.

Then add on the talk about the Texans actually paying you 1% of the price as interest!!?? I think that's pretty cool of them to do. I was meerily commenting on the fact that you pay them in May/June and there's no season, you get paid back 6 months later. That's 1% for 6 months... not a whole year. Could you invest that money in something else and make more? Sure possibly. With today's market you also run the risk of losing some of your initial investment and then you'd be stuck having to come up with extra money right before the season starts to pay for your season tickets... which at that point you might just say 'eff it'.

Is $10 back six months down the road going help me? Not really. I think its somewhat of a nice gesture when they could just say, "sorry OMT, no season here's your money back."

I just find it kind of funny people getting upset not only that they're being asked to pay for their season tickets but that they only get an extra 1% refund in the unlikely event no season occurs.

Bull Pen 1
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
I've got it. What's your point?

Good for you, I'm sure the majority of the fans wouldn't.

steelbtexan
06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Good for you, I'm sure the majority of the fans wouldn't.

Sadly, true

I admire Nitro's stance on this. If more fans were like him this organization would be in much better shape.

ensign_lee
06-29-2011, 03:28 PM

You can try Texas Citizens Bank or Founders Bank here in Houston. They have rewards checking accounts at about 2-2.5%. (used to be 5%, but alas...) Only catch is you have to use the debit card x number of times a month and have direct deposit (basically, they want you to use it like a normal checking account). For Founders, it's 10x a month and for Citizens it is 12x a month I believe.

But ya...point me in the direction of the 13% checking accounts plz. :)

NitroGSXR
06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
You can try Texas Citizens Bank or Founders Bank here in Houston. They have rewards checking accounts at about 2-2.5%. (used to be 5%, but alas...) Only catch is you have to use the debit card x number of times a month and have direct deposit (basically, they want you to use it like a normal checking account). For Founders, it's 10x a month and for Citizens it is 12x a month I believe.

But ya...point me in the direction of the 13% checking accounts plz. :)

Now you guys need to stop with the "telephone pole game" everchanging messages. I never said I had a 13% checking account. Enough please. I said my money makes 13% where its at. I was trying to make a statement but to my surprise, nobody can focus on the message behind it. Some of you guys just made up stuff and started running with the savings accounts and whatnot. If y'all want to make fun, that's fine with me... but I definitely wish I had said nothing... that really was too personal information for me to divulge on my part. In my mind and post, I was talking to one person (who I happen to know is a very financial person) but sometimes I forget this is an open forum... oh well. It happens...

Dr2bKay
06-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I just got off the phone with the Texans ticket office and they said that the lockout has not impacted their projected sales.... Apparently everyone with Platinum lot passes and lower Bull pen tickets have renewed their season tickets.... :-( :foottap:

I wish more Platinum lot people would get upset about the lockout!

disaacks3
06-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I just got off the phone with the Texans ticket office and they said that the lockout has not impacted their projected sales.... Apparently everyone with Platinum lot passes and lower Bull pen tickets have renewed their season tickets.... :-( :foottap:

Sorry Kay, you know us....we put the FAN in fanatic! :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
06-30-2011, 09:56 PM

It is obvious that the owners' own self-induced business insecurity led to policies that were meant to purposely generate insecurity on their loyal season ticket holders..........something that in many other contexts would be referred to as out and out "blackmail."