PDA

View Full Version : Are the Texans helmets not bad ass???

Tailgate
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I mean, apparently our helmets are so bad that we didnt even get mentioned in these stupid helmet rankings. Worse than the hags?? Here I am thinking our logo and helmets are one of the coolest in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/24019/helmet-cam-the-ones-we-like-best

El Tejano
05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
From the article:
I stuck predominantly with designs that have endured.
That may be the reason. Tenure!

nero THE zero
05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
But the Texans did score well in a ballot that didn’t count toward the results. Our lead correspondent on this project, Bill Williamson, talked with a former “Project Runway” contestant, who put Houston sixth and Indianapolis ninth.

Perhaps the Texans can make mention of that prestigious standing in their media guide.

Zing.

b0ng
05-18-2011, 01:09 PM
No I really don't think the Texans helmets are bad-ass.

Dutchrudder
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
ESPN broadcaster: Tune in next week when we discuss which team celebrated Breast Cancer Awareness the best this past year! We will have stunning analysis from our football writers as they fight and bicker over which team sported pink the best!

Oh man, this is the worst off-season ever...

IDEXAN
05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
No I really don't think the Texans helmets are bad-ass.

My wife calls them cartoonish, and I agree.

EllisUnit
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
i love the texans helmet/logo. i think its BA. How do the browns make it ? really ?

Thorn
05-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I like the Texans helmet logo.

Nawzer
05-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think the Texans uniforms, helmets, logo are badasses. I don't think they're bad, but they're not memorable either. I like the simple helmet designs like the Colts, Steelers, Packers, etc. I'm not even big fan of the name "Texans". All I really care about is the team and whether or not they are any good.

gwallaia
05-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Personally, I think the Chiefs and Cowboys have the best helmet designs.
The Titans, without question have the worst.

I do like the Texans helmets though and I could not care less where "they" rank us.

Blake
05-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Instead of "Top NFL helmets", this piece could have been called "Oldest NFL helmets."

I like the Texans helmets. I dont care for the name.

I think the Packers, Raiders, Broncos and Patriots helmets are the best.

DonnyMost
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Helmets are ok, uniforms are kinda lame though.

Definitely better than the Jags, who somehow received a vote.

Also notice the Titans got zero votes as well.

Double Barrel
05-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I dig our helmets and logo. But I still think we should have been the Houston Toros.

houstonspartan
05-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Can't stand our name, but our logo is pretty solid and original.

As for this list, we can't compete with historical franchises, so there's no point in even worrying about where we fall.

Kulluminatii
05-18-2011, 02:21 PM
This is how I would rank the helmets:

1.Raiders
2.Giants
3.49ers
4.Packers
5.Chargers
6.Lions
7.Patriots
8.Bears
9.Broncos
10.Cowboys
11.Vikings
12.Ravens
13.Texans
14.Buccaneers
15.Steelers
16.Chiefs
17.Jaguars
18.Eagles
19.Rams
20.Falcons
21.Saints
22.Seahawks
23.Redskins
24.Browns
25.Colts
26.Bengals
27.Bills
28.Cardinals
29.Jets
30.Dolphins
31.Panthers
32.Titans

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I think its fair to say most people would put the Raiders helmet in their top 5. How would you guys rank the helmets?

HoustonFrog
05-18-2011, 02:39 PM
My wife calls them cartoonish, and I agree.

I've said this in many threads over the years. I think the helmets look cartoonish and "expansion" like. I think some of the combo unis are cool and all but the helmet..not so much.

Chargers and Cowboys have been my favorites since I was a kid. Raiders is cool and I like the old but recent Jets helmet.

But none are as good as the USFL Michigan Panthers

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/282/140pi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/140pi.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

houstonspartan
05-18-2011, 02:46 PM
I've said this in many threads over the years. I think the helmets look cartoonish and "expansion" like. I think some of the combo unis are cool and all but the helmet..not so much.

Chargers and Cowboys have been my favorites since I was a kid. Raiders is cool and I like the old but recent Jets helmet.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/282/140pi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/140pi.jpg/)

Eh. Grew up going to Michigan Panther games. Didn't really pay attention to their helmets then, but I'm not that impressed with them now.

HoustonFrog
05-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Eh. Grew up going to Michigan Panther games. Didn't really pay attention to their helmets then, but I'm not that impressed with them now.

i just remember loving them back then. The colors aren't perfect but I love the Panther.

gwallaia
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I dig our helmets and logo. But I still think we should have been the Houston Toros.

You have got to be kidding.

Nawzer
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Hey Houstonspartan, I think Houston Spartans would've been a much more cooler name. :headbang:

BIG TORO
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
I think our helmets are decent, I would prefer if the used this bull instead with three pin strips: two red with a white down the middle.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=963596655606&id=772f8bb473f52dacba09ca62cf021a62

Hervoyel
05-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I like the Texans helmet logo.

I like it too. I just don't think it's anything special or memorable. The Texans colors and uniform design feels like something that a series of focus groups concluded was least likely to alienate any one part of their targeted demographic. Their logo feels to me like something calculated to appeal to fans and says nothing about them, or us, or anything really.

They're bulls but nobody can be "The Bulls" because Chicago already owns that name so much that it's considered taken in any other major sport. We might have been Toros if some focus group somewhere hadn't come back with alarming numbers indicating that a significant number of white Houstonians might take offense to anything that sounded too Mexican.

So we're Texans and incredibly that somehow adds nothing to our identity at all. Maybe that's because we all know that the team settled on that name to try and appeal to as many people in the state as possible.

It's no wonder we rarely do well in things like this. We've only been around a decade and spent most of that sucking and (thankfully) not being televised much outside of our own market.

We were Oilers. We should have stayed Oilers. Update the colors if you want. Update the logo too but the name should have never been allowed to leave this city. We screwed that up bigtime.

Double Barrel
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
You have got to be kidding.

Yeah, I am. Should have said the Texas Toros! :D

gtexan02
05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
No surprise. I bet a lot of casual football fans wouldn't even recognize it as a professional NFL logo

TEXANRED
05-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Wasn't The Houston Riggers up for consideration? Thank God we didn't go with that one.

I still like Roustabouts though.

Hervoyel
05-18-2011, 03:34 PM

I always feel like we lost the "HOUSTON Oilers" and came back six years later with the "houston TEXAS" (spelled just like a couple of announcers every year say it).

All the emphasis on appealing to the entire start from the Texans at the beginning rubbed me the wrong way. I understand it but at the same time Cowboys fans aren't going to care what McNair's team in Houston does and UT fans aren't interested in them either.

b0ng
05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I have always thought that the Bengals helmets were the most creative and looked the best out of the entire NFL.

TEXANRED
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
This is how I would rank the helmets:

1.Raiders
2.Giants
3.49ers
4.Packers
5.Chargers
6.Lions
7.Patriots
8.Bears
9.Broncos
10.Cowboys
11.Vikings
12.Ravens
13.Texans
14.Buccaneers
15.Steelers
16.Chiefs
17.Jaguars
18.Eagles
19.Rams
20.Falcons
21.Saints
22.Seahawks
23.Redskins
24.Browns
25.Colts
26.Bengals
27.Bills
28.Cardinals
29.Jets
30.Dolphins
31.Panthers
32.Titans

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I think its fair to say most people would put the Raiders helmet in their top 5. How would you guys rank the helmets?
Really? It's not even a logo. It's just a color.

gwallaia
05-18-2011, 03:45 PM
I submitted the name "Apollos" in the name the team contest.

My idea for the helmet logo were the following:

a.) Cool looking astronaut helmet
b.) Saturn V rocket blasting off

and my favorite,
c.) Neil Armstrong's boot print from the first step on the moon.

Señor Stan
05-18-2011, 03:48 PM

and it's not even brown.

nero THE zero
05-18-2011, 03:53 PM
That whole, "we suck because our team name and colors are generic" argument is trite and almost as tired as the sunshine crew.

nero THE zero
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I submitted the name "Apollos" in the name the team contest.

My idea for the helmet logo were the following:

a.) Cool looking astronaut helmet
b.) Saturn V rocket blasting off

and my favorite,
c.) Neil Armstrong's boot print from the first step on the moon.

Apollos was my favorite of the finalists. It makes too much sense.

I also love to green/yellow scheme that's been floated.

Alas, it is what it is.

Hervoyel
05-18-2011, 03:59 PM
That whole, "we suck because our team name and colors are generic" argument is trite and almost as tired as the sunshine crew.

While also managing to be true at the same time.

Double Barrel
05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I always feel like we lost the "HOUSTON Oilers" and came back six years later with the "houston TEXAS" (spelled just like a couple of announcers every year say it).

All the emphasis on appealing to the entire start from the Texans at the beginning rubbed me the wrong way. I understand it but at the same time Cowboys fans aren't going to care what McNair's team in Houston does and UT fans aren't interested in them either.

yep, I agree. And we see eye-to-eye about the corporate gloss that covers all things Houston Texans. Everything has that focus-group-tested feel about it to mass appeal from the beginning in order to sell merchandise and tickets. I honestly think the business partnership with the Houston Rodeo influenced the idea of the bull logo, which then limited the options for names.

As far as appealing state wide, winning would have achieved that regardless of the logo, name, or colors. But that's much harder than picking colors, name, and logo, of course.

nero THE zero
05-18-2011, 04:40 PM
While also managing to be true at the same time.

There's really no way to test that, either way. It's unfalsifiable. I think it's silly and baseless, myself.

But, I understand that the performance of the organization has thus far justified such cynicism and conspiracies. So, have at it.

Raf
05-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Everything's grown on me. I hated the name Texans at first but now...wouldn't have it any other way.

I've always used the name "Venom" for all my franchises when playing video games. I know Venom really doesn't depict or describe our heritage/history/culture....but many other teams in their respective city don't either. So why not look and sound cool and have a more menacing aura to your team? That's not to say "Venom" would be the best but with some creativity....wonderful things could have came about.

What to associate the name "Venom" with? I've always immediately used the snake family. Given that there are so many types of snakes, varying from many sizes and colors...the possibilities would be endless. You can literally use any color scheme and it would have fit the bill.

Instead...we use generally the same color scheme or look very similar to uniforms of the Patriots, Bills, somewhat like the Broncos, Bears. I would have like a totally different color combination not seen in the league. But oh well.

With that said however, I'd like to again state that for the record...I love my Texans, uni, helmet, name and all.....now.

TEXANRED
05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
and it's not even brown.

Hahaha. That's true.

Kulluminatii
05-18-2011, 05:03 PM

I change my opinion quite often about the Browns' helmet, sometimes I hate it and sometimes I love the "classic" look it has. I honestly think the helmets would look a lot better if they changed up their uniforms, they look terrible. If I'm not mistaken in their early years the Browns used to wear #'s on one side of the helmet, I think that might look pretty cool if they modernized it a bit.

vupac1
05-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Ok, I get that they're big on tenure and all, but the BROWNS??? Seriously??

Can anyone honestly make a passionate argument for the BROWNS helmet??
for one thing there is no logo just colors, and the colors are typically regarded as, well... ugly. I know to each his own, but seriously how do you justify the BROWNS?

Edit: let me add I'm not saying a logo is a must, because I've always loved Penn State uni's, but I think their color scheme offers way more to vote for than the Browns.. shrugs..

TEXANRED
05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I change my opinion quite often about the Browns' helmet, sometimes I hate it and sometimes I love the "classic" look it has. I honestly think the helmets would look a lot better if they changed up their uniforms, they look terrible. If I'm not mistaken in their early years the Browns used to wear #'s on one side of the helmet, I think that might look pretty cool if they modernized it a bit.

IMO the color they use for their helmet looks like someones baby had diarrhea and they took the diaper to home depot to match the color.

And yes I am saying the Brown colors look like baby sh@t brown.

Dutchrudder
05-18-2011, 05:32 PM
IMO the color they use for their helmet looks like someones baby had diarrhea and they took the diaper to home depot to match the color.

And yes I am saying the Brown colors look like baby sh@t brown.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/7101987.jpg

They are the browns, wtf kind of color of brown doesn't look like poop?

infantrycak
05-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Didn't like the name at first.

Liked the colors - close to Texas colors.

Really like the logo unless we can get the smoking version we had around here for a while.

Double Barrel
05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
The Browns are the antithesis of the Texans when you think about it.

They are named the "Browns" after Paul Brown, vice president, general manager and head coach of the team. Some say the nic "Brown Bombers" (the plural of boxer Joe Louis' nickname) influenced the public's decision, but regardless, it's a grassroots and location specific name connected to local history. And, of course, Paul Brown is regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, often referred to as the "father of the modern offense" for all the significant improvements he brought to the sport. The seeds of the modern NFL go back to Paul Brown. So the name of the team, along with the unassuming style of the bland helmet, actually mean something.

Then we have the Texans, whose entire history is deeply rooted in executive board room decisions heavily influence by modern corporate marketing strategies. While we look at the surface and see gloss and glitz, especially compared to the mundane look of the Browns helmet, the fact of the matter is that the Texans colors, name, and logo are shallow, while the Browns are deep in meaningful history of the league itself.

It is certainly ironic, and I have little doubt that all of this influenced those that made the decisions with this list, as well.

Carr Bombed
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I like it too. I just don't think it's anything special or memorable. The Texans colors and uniform design feels like something that a series of focus groups concluded was least likely to alienate any one part of their targeted demographic. Their logo feels to me like something calculated to appeal to fans and says nothing about them, or us, or anything really.

They're bulls but nobody can be "The Bulls" because Chicago already owns that name so much that it's considered taken in any other major sport. We might have been Toros if some focus group somewhere hadn't come back with alarming numbers indicating that a significant number of white Houstonians might take offense to anything that sounded too Mexican.

So we're Texans and incredibly that somehow adds nothing to our identity at all. Maybe that's because we all know that the team settled on that name to try and appeal to as many people in the state as possible.

It's no wonder we rarely do well in things like this. We've only been around a decade and spent most of that sucking and (thankfully) not being televised much outside of our own market.

We were Oilers. We should have stayed Oilers. Update the colors if you want. Update the logo too but the name should have never been allowed to leave this city. We screwed that up bigtime.

LOL, I think some of y'all are reading way too much into their dicision making process. They simply took the Texas flag and colors and made a uniform design and logo. They took things that symbolized the state of Texas and combined it into a team name and uniform.

BTW, I love the team name, logo, and uniform. I just don't like the results, fix the results and then these uniform, logo, yada yada yada will suddenly become more "memorable". They're not memorable, because the Texans haven't done jack **** worth remembering. :)

TEXANRED
05-18-2011, 06:07 PM

They are named the "Browns" after Paul Brown, vice president, general manager and head coach of the team. Some say the nic "Brown Bombers" (the plural of boxer Joe Louis' nickname) influenced the public's decision, but regardless, it's a grassroots and location specific name connected to local history. And, of course, Paul Brown is regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, often referred to as the "father of the modern offense" for all the significant improvements he brought to the sport. The seeds of the modern NFL go back to Paul Brown. So the name of the team, along with the unassuming style of the bland helmet, actually mean something.

Then we have the Texans, whose entire history is deeply rooted in executive board room decisions heavily influence by modern corporate marketing strategies. While we look at the surface and see gloss and glitz, especially compared to the mundane look of the Browns helmet, the fact of the matter is that the Texans colors, name, and logo are shallow, while the Browns are deep in meaningful history of the league itself.

It is certainly ironic, and I have little doubt that all of this influenced those that made the decisions with this list, as well.

You don't find calling yourself a Brown bomber to be funniest in least?

TexanSam
05-18-2011, 06:10 PM

LOL I thought that too

ChampionTexan
05-18-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm confused - are you talking about the Browns that moved to Baltimore for financial reasons and became the Ravens, or the Browns that took their place and are one of the few teams to have a worse record during the years the Texans have been in the league?

False Start
05-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I like the helmets, the name, and the unis. To me, the unis have a simple look to them, I like that. The newer unis that some teams wear kind of look a bit Arena League to me, like the Jags, Broncos, and Falcons just to name a few.

TheMatrix31
05-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I think our helmets, and uniforms overall are awesome.

2slik4u
05-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Man, we must be jones'n for some football talk...

:kitten:

False Start
05-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Man, we must be jones'n for some football talk...

Yep! lol...offseason, plus a lockout makes for bad times.

pbat488
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
THIS is what I want back.. this was houston and people knew it. I was barely alive for the oilers but man do I love that helmet.

http://www.supersportscenter.com/images/product/icon/2122.jpg

Carr Bombed
05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't care at all about the Oiler days. Water under the bridge and they don't represent this city. That team would be so easy to replace if our current one would ever get their crap together and figure things out. LOL :) trust me, Bud Adams and the Oilers didn't set the bar very high.

Thorn
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't care at all about the Oiler days. Water under the bridge and they don't represent this city. That team would be so easy to replace if our current one would ever get their crap together and figure things out. LOL :) trust me, Bud Adams and the Oilers didn't set the bar very high.

The team, not the owner, did garner a lot of respect during their glory years. The Oilers were a kick ass team, just couldn't make it over the hump.

Damn Steelers.

Carr Bombed
05-18-2011, 08:30 PM
The team, not the owner, did garner a lot of respect during their glory years. The Oilers were a kick ass team, just couldn't make it over the hump.

Damn Steelers.

Yeah, I know all about the "love ya blue days", but even in the highlight of that franchise's glory days.....read the bold. :)

The bar wasn't set very high, we just need our current team to finally go on some playoff runs.

Texan Asylum
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM

:clap:

You must spread some rep...

Carr Bombed
05-18-2011, 08:50 PM
lol, if we were still named the "Oilers", we'd be the most hated team in the league with today's gas prices. :)

Texan Asylum
05-18-2011, 08:52 PM
lol, if we were still named the "Oilers", we'd be the most hated team in the league with today's gas prices. :)

:thisbig:

imatexan
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I love the helmet, color,logo, and uniforms.

Just because the media is not used to seeing our logo everywhere they will be biased towards other teams.

For me:
-Texans
-Steelers
-Chargers
-Seahawks
-Saints

barrett
05-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I think our helmets are decent, I would prefer if the used this bull instead with three pin strips: two red with a white down the middle.
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=963596655606&id=772f8bb473f52dacba09ca62cf021a62

I always thought that the helmets without stripes down the middle lacked the classic look. The simplest logo's often look the best. Clean lines and straight ahead simples designs are easy to digest mentally and suitable for something that would withstand the test of time. I am also in the camp that the bull logo looks cartooney, modern and expansion-like.

The colors are logical. They are the colors of the Texas flag. The team is called the "Texans". Why not just run with that? It's so logical it hurts. Same helmet, red stripes spaced with white in the middle or or inverted. Texas flag logo on the side. A rectangle flag. Period. No wavy flag stuff. Just the emblem. End of debate. Championships next on the docket!

Norg
05-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I like our logo and helmets

its like it pops out at U its like u can kinda see the texans flag in there :kitten:

and the best thing from the front view the two red horns stick out so oppesing teams just see these two devil horns when they see us from the front and the back

Txn_in_Oki
05-19-2011, 06:46 AM
I like the logo. I'll admit that when I heard the name I was in full WTF mode but it's grown on me. Once I heard what the alternates were I was definitely okay with it.

nero THE zero
05-19-2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.misterhabs.com/wfl_files/WFL_Texans.gifhttp://www.oursportscentral.com/uniforms/houtexansuni.gif

This is what I was talking about, which apparently is an old WFL uniform.

Though, the Texans have adopted the logo, as I have a shirt with it in red, white, and blue.

I would have much preferred this, though.

Texan_Bill
05-19-2011, 09:00 AM

BS!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=764507391249&id=a6387f55351b49ab9f6347323bd32743

;)

cuppacoffee
05-19-2011, 09:05 AM
BS!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=764507391249&id=a6387f55351b49ab9f6347323bd32743

;)

Best of all time IMO.

Could have adopted the whole uni, name and colors, I would have no complaints.

:coffee:

BigBull17
05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
The Colts whole jersey is so bland and blah its awful. Pats, Bucs, Raiders have some of the best. Texans gear looks good, but I hate the all white and all red. Red with white pants is cool, as would red pants with white(i think)

drs23
05-19-2011, 09:13 AM
LOL, I think some of y'all are reading way too much into their dicision making process. They simply took the Texas flag and colors and made a uniform design and logo. They took things that symbolized the state of Texas and combined it into a team name and uniform.

BTW, I love the team name, logo, and uniform. I just don't like the results, fix the results and then these uniform, logo, yada yada yada will suddenly become more "memorable". They're not memorable, because the Texans haven't done jack **** worth remembering. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes, they also need to win. Soon.

Carry on...:)

Hervoyel
05-19-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.misterhabs.com/wfl_files/WFL_Texans.gifhttp://www.oursportscentral.com/uniforms/houtexansuni.gif

This is what I was talking about, which apparently is an old WFL uniform.

Though, the Texans have adopted the logo, as I have a shirt with it in red, white, and blue.

I would have much preferred this, though.

I wonder if they've actually purchased it. I cranked a copy of that old logo out years ago in the current Texans colors and thought it looked much better than what we are using today.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/WFLTexansinnewcolors.jpg

I was planning on getting some caps made and maybe a t-shirt.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/HoustonTexansWFLLogo.jpg
If the Texans now own the old WFL logo that could be problematic.

nero THE zero
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder if they've actually purchased it. I cranked a copy of that old logo out years ago in the current Texans colors and thought it looked much better than what we are using today.

I was planning on getting some caps made and maybe a t-shirt.

If the Texans now own the old WFL logo that could be problematic.

The logo on the shirt I have is slightly modified, so you might be OK. I'll poke around the internet and see if I can find a picture of it.

edit -- Here it is:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/TexansSecondary.jpg

Thorn
05-19-2011, 10:14 AM
BS!!

;)

Yes! I still have my Gamblers baseball cap!!

They had a fantastic logo and helmet.

Double Barrel
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM

I don't think it's reading too much into it to understand that marketing an expansion team was a priority, which is understandable. They worked hard to find something that had mass appeal, and it worked.

I don't disagree with you. I like the logo and colors, as well, and the name is what it is, so I'm used to it and accept it.

And no doubt that winning would change lots of perceptions.

lol! That's hilarious! I'm not a fan of the Browns, and never cared for the helmet. I remember being confused as a kid by the Bengals and Browns, both in the AFC Central with the Oilers, because they both had brown helmets before the Bengals went with stripes.

I only knew the stuff about Paul Brown from a documentary on NFLN. I watch that channel way too much!

I'm confused - are you talking about the Browns that moved to Baltimore for financial reasons and became the Ravens, or the Browns that took their place and are one of the few teams to have a worse record during the years the Texans have been in the league?

Just the Cleveland Browns, circa 1946.

Yeah, I know all about the "love ya blue days", but even in the highlight of that franchise's glory days.....read the bold. :)

The bar wasn't set very high, we just need our current team to finally go on some playoff runs.

The bar might not have been set very high, but the Texans have never even come close to it in a decade regardless.

ObsiWan
05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Can't stand our name, but our logo is pretty solid and original.

whut he sed

Bipolar The Titan
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
This poll is legit. Hands down the chargers and steelers take this one and two for obvious reasons. Surprisingly I don't see Cincinnati. Objectively speaking their helmets are really cool. Subjectively we all associate them with not really won anything, but there was that one time during the Icky Woods's "era"... I don't know. Close to the advent of the the "Bud Bowl". Maybe it was Bud Bowl III. It was a long time ago. How about that Jerry Rice anyways... I was just a kid then. Same goes for the Titans and Texans both so as well I suppose. Never really win anything, never really win these polls.

You know. I don't really think there is anything special about the Chiefs helmet. The fact they made that list is horse$#!t. :devilpig:

sakebomb
05-19-2011, 11:37 PM

Looks like the Thundercats symbol.

AnthonyE
05-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Looks like the Thundercats symbol.

Michigan Panthers HOOOOOOOO!

In regards to the thread -

I'm a fan of the colors, and uniform. I still think the Houston Toros would be a much more badass name. The logo = BEAST.

Thorn
05-20-2011, 07:35 AM
OK, this is what needs to happen. If no one else picks this up today, I'll do it this evening or Saturday. We need a poll (and pictures) of ALL the helmets of ALL the pro football teams that have ever arisen in Houston and we deciede who had the most bad ass helmet in Houston of all time. If someone does this today, make sure you research your history and leagues, because there have actually been a number of football teams in Houston's history from various leagues.

Selections should also include any Arena league teams as well, since they are "professional". Including our current and apparently ass kicking Stallions.

drs23
05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm in the minority here I know but I like the team name and I think our logo is the best in the league.

Thorn
05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
OK, this is what needs to happen. If no one else picks this up today, I'll do it this evening or Saturday. We need a poll (and pictures) of ALL the helmets of ALL the pro football teams that have ever arisen in Houston and we deciede who had the most bad ass helmet in Houston of all time. If someone does this today, make sure you research your history and leagues, because there have actually been a number of football teams in Houston's history from various leagues.

Selections should also include any Arena league teams as well, since they are "professional". Including our current and apparently ass kicking Stallions.

I hate to quote myself, but, just in case anyone else is working on this, I've found a couple of odd ball leagues that had Houston teams, one being a female pro team. We've had quite a few helmets pass through this town. LOL

So if someone else is working on this, get with me so we don't leave anything out. Thanks. :)

Texan JBZ
05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
To me, the Texans have the coolest helmet and uniforms in the league. The worst has to be the Browns. Others who have cool helmet/uniforms are the Falcons, Chargers, and Broncos.

gwallaia
05-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I still think the Chiefs and Cowboys have the best helmet logos followed by the old Buffalo Bills logo with the buffalo just standing there.

The Titans logo and their crapastic uniforms are simply the worst, not only in the NFL but in all of sports. And I'm not just saying that because I detest the Titans organization. I'm sure Bipolar and all Titan fans would have to agree.

Speedy
05-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't get the love for the Chargers helmets. I liked their blue ones better.

False Start
05-20-2011, 07:15 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/texansoilers.png

:heh:

wildroot
05-21-2011, 08:07 AM

There should be a NFL rule...if a team moves, the colors and name stays with the city. Like what happened in Cleveland.

IDEXAN
05-21-2011, 08:15 AM
"Texans" is the kind of obvious, safe, bland, unimaginative nickname you'd expect somebody like MaNair to choose for his Houston-based team. Also maybe he thought the nickname would appeal to fans outside of Houston, but he really should have concentrated on securing the patronage of Houstonians and taken any support of other Texas residents outside of the city as icing on the cake.

Thorn
05-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Re: Are the Texans helmets not bad ass???

Apparently not as bad ass as the Gamblers helmet according to my poll. Still it's a very good helmet. Like a lot of folks around here, I didn't really like the team name when it was first announced, but I loved the logo.

Now, of course, I like the name. Just hope this year they do something to push that name into the NFL fans mindset.

Carr Bombed
05-23-2011, 11:30 AM
The bar might not have been set very high, but the Texans have never even come close to it in a decade regardless.

Well that's fine. They still have another 40 years of ineptitude to go before they match the other team that used to play here, so I'm not that worried about it right now. The only thing I miss about those teams are some of the individual players. I could care less about that franchise as a whole anymore.

Carr Bombed
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
"Texans" is the kind of obvious, safe, bland, unimaginative nickname you'd expect somebody like MaNair to choose for his Houston-based team. Also maybe he thought the nickname would appeal to fans outside of Houston, but he really should have concentrated on securing the patronage of Houstonians and taken any support of other Texas residents outside of the city as icing on the cake.

Let's see. He has one of the longest consecutive streaks of sellouts in the league and has one of the best supported and most valuable sports franchises. Something tells me he already "secured the patronage of Houstonians".

Hervoyel
05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
The Texans logo is arguably a fantastic work of art. I think it single-handedly saved the franchise from what is frankly a lousy name. When the name was announced prior to the logo reveal there were a number of skeptics and nearly all of them were placated by the logo and colors. It looks good.

Over the past decade however I feel like the logo hasn't aged as well as I thought it would. The helmets from the front have these two stupid little red cartoon "devil horns" on them. I don't know if that was intentional or not but they look silly to me.

In my case it's like this. I thought our helmet was bad ass when it was first revealed. Today I think it's not the worst helmet out there but we could have done better. It's not going to be a "classic" I don't believe.

Speedy
05-23-2011, 06:39 PM
They could have come up with a better 5 that made the final cut but of the ones that did; Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters, and even though I thought it was stupid at first, I'm glad they went with Texans.

Wildcatters? Really? Bobcats are Takei. I just don't see the connection with Stallions. The only other possibility would have been Apollos even though that was a bad minor league hockey team here in the early 80's. And you think the "Houston, we have a problem" thing is worn out now, being called Apollos would have made that 100 times worse, especially with the play the last 9 years.

I'm good with Texans, I'm good with the helmet and logo and the uniforms. Just wish they'd stop with the 1,000 different combinations........oh, and start winning! Don't give a crap if they wear polkadots if they just win.

thunderkyss
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
THIS is what I want back.. this was houston and people knew it. I was barely alive for the oilers but man do I love that helmet.

http://www.supersportscenter.com/images/product/icon/2122.jpg

I do like the helmet, but I never liked the columbia blue.

Red, White, & (manly) Blue.... those are my colors.

I love the Texans Helmet & Logo & the whole bull theme, with out being called the toros or heffers or moos....

The robot bull animation they play before/during the games are awesome, along with Thunderstruck..

I love the Texans.

thunderkyss
05-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Of course, I would have considered the Houston Caballeros

Hervoyel
05-23-2011, 10:30 PM

I love the Texans Helmet & Logo & the whole bull theme, with out being called the toros or heffers or moos....

The robot bull animation they play before/during the games are awesome, along with Thunderstruck..

I love the Texans.

Even though I think it's really, really cheesy I have to admit I always enjoy that.

I had no idea that the fans were going to be the ones "thunderstruck" though. They should do a video with the Bull running around the stadium while we're getting our asses beat pounding fans who boo or leave early.

houstonspartan
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM

I love the Texans.

This team introduced me to ACDC. Love "Thunderstruck".