PDA

View Full Version : Asomugha and Houston all about money

CloakNNNdagger
05-16-2011, 07:38 PM
From ESPN:

Asomugha and Houston all about money (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23984/asomugha-and-houston-all-about-money)
May, 16, 2011 May

By Paul Kuharsky

Routinely, when asked about the Houston Texans making the playoffs, I say I will pick it to happen the year after it finally happens.

There is one thing that might change my stance there.

If Texans owner Bob McNair opened his vault and landed cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha when free agency arrives, I think it would be a transformative move for the franchise.

The top free agent can often fall through. But Asomugha is more of a sure thing than most. He’d bump every cornerback the team has down a peg, he’d make bad or average safeties better, he’d hold up if the pass rush continues to take too long to force the quarterback to throw and he'd make many teams simply avoid the guy he covers.

I don’t think Houston will be bold enough to make it happen, and I suspect some other team will jump out and overwhelm the free-agent prize.

I do not, however, enter as a factor the idea that Asomugha wouldn’t go to Houston because he wants to join a winner. I believe he’ll do like most guys and go where the money is, and I believe he’d believe Houston can be a serious contender with his services.

John Clayton [Click on this link] makes the Houston argument in the Hot Button debate on Asomugha’s ultimate landing spot and it’s a good one. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6548175)

It’s all about McNair’s willingness to spend.

thunderkyss
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
You know, teams are not allowed to talk the players right now. But there isn't anything stopping John Clayton from talking to the players or the agent. Instead of writing bullshit like this, why don't he talk to Asomugha & find out if anyone talked to him that one day the stay was lifted, or what he would consider his ideal situation, or if Houston is even a consideration.

We won't be the only team offering Nmandi money, & if a chance to play for a championship is one of his requirements, we can drop this right now.

badboy
05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=CloakNNNdagger;1699969]From ESPN:[/QUOTE ]I like it because have been saying the same thing for years. Most probabky remember the trade suggestions I have made in the past. Go get him!

:foottap:

Big Lou
05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
As much as I'm against going over the Cap even for sure things, I really think it would send a message and I hope we try like hell (See Avatar). Hell it would sure fire up the fan base. McNair would sell about 100,000 Jerseys the first week!!!!!

Aren't Aso and Dre good friends, come on Dre get him to sign!!!!!!!!

Aso strikes me as a guy who will have plenty of good years left in him even if he's 30. If they can strike a deal, combined with Wade coming in I think this team would finally have the confidence to feel like they could take anyone on every Sunday with out wondering if the Offense comes out of the gate hot.

If I was still lucky enough to live in Houston, I'd be holding a picket sign in front of Reliant every night until FA ends. (When ever it finally starts!!!)

hot pickle
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
sign aso and cromartie!!!! CHAMPIONSHIIIPPPP hahahha :hurrah:

gtexan02
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Honestly, how successfully do DBs make transitions?

Remember when nate clements was expected to be the next best thing? Is he doing well in SF? (Im curious, I dont know)

Sometimes FAs are products of a system. I'm worried about breaking the bank if he doesn't perform

Corrosion
05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
We won't be the only team offering Nmandi money, & if a chance to play for a championship is one of his requirements, we can drop this right now.

No they wont be the only team to make him an offer , but if you fix the back end of this defense you have a team that can win it all .... and signing Aso does just that , fixes the back end while making the rest of the guys around him better.

ChampionTexan
05-16-2011, 09:00 PM
You know, teams are not allowed to talk the players right now. But there isn't anything stopping John Clayton from talking to the players or the agent. Instead of writing bullshit like this, why don't he talk to Asomugha & find out if anyone talked to him that one day the stay was lifted, or what he would consider his ideal situation, or if Houston is even a consideration.

The highest profile FA's of 2009 & 2010 were Albert Haynesworth and Julius Peppers respectively. Neither the Redskins, nor the Bears had finished above .500 the previous season. Washingon's cumulative record the three seasons prior to Haynesworth signing was 22-26. Chicago's was 23-28 (just like the Texans currently).

I'm guessing that teams more likely to play for a championship were interested in their services, but they both ended up with teams very few people considered serious contenders.

thunderkyss
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM

Remember when nate clements was expected to be the next best thing? Is he doing well in SF? (Im curious, I dont know)

Sometimes FAs are products of a system. I'm worried about breaking the bank if he doesn't perform

Not exactly. A lot of people were talking about Clements & Samuel raping desperate teams.

They are/were about as good as Cromartie, not worth the money they got. Like Dunta, he's not a bad corner.... maybe even above average. But not worth elite money.

FA gets teams in a bad situation. When the market is weak, weak teams get desperate and over spend, which puts them into the a tail spin that is difficult to get out of.... look at San Fran.

FA is almost as bad as the draft. Even if you're average, if you are the best thing on the market, you get paid like a future hall of famer.... look at Winslow in TB.

If the best FA on the market is a LB, or a Safety, or a WR (Steve Smith) I'd rather put my money there, than in an overpriced Corner.

Speaking of Cromartie.

Aso is worth the money, so is Joseph.. & the argument can be made for Grimes. Other than that, I would pass on the "next best CB"

thunderkyss
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
The highest profile FA's of 2009 & 2010 were Albert Haynesworth and Julius Peppers respectively. Neither the Redskins, nor the Bears had finished above .500 the previous season. Washingon's cumulative record the three seasons prior to Haynesworth signing was 22-26. Chicago's was 23-28 (just like the Texans currently).

I'm guessing that teams more likely to play for a championship were interested in their services, but they both ended up with teams very few people considered serious contenders.

I don't think so. Haynesworth wasn't going anywhere but Washington. Everybody else knew he was in it for the money. Playing his ass off in a contract year.... always finding a reason to not be on the field otherwise.

Peppers was on the downside of his career.

Neither situation compares to Nmandi. Nmandi is only going to get better over the next 5 years or so & he's played lights out from day one.

gary
05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Peppers did great last season for being on the downside of his career.

thunderkyss
05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Peppers did great last season for being on the downside of his career.

He sure did. Chicago rolled the dice & it worked out for them.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Who else was bidding for the services of Julius Peppers?

ChampionTexan
05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
He sure did. Chicago rolled the dice & it worked out for them.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Who else was bidding for the services of Julius Peppers?

He also had double-digit sacks and pro-bowl appearances in the two seasons immediately preceding his signing with Chicago.

gary
05-16-2011, 09:25 PM
He also had double-digit sacks and pro-bowl appearances in the two seasons immediately preceding his signing with Chicago.Didn't he sign a seven year deal?

b0ng
05-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Samuel has been good on the Eagles since he left the Pats. Bailey was pretty good in Denver and I know Woodson has been alright on the Packers. Deon was good everywhere he went (except the last place, I forget which team that was).

I think Aso would be good just because he's been good for years, and the Raiders front 7 isn't exactly a QB pressure machine. Not saying it's a for sure thing, but it's about as close as you can get.

gary
05-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Samuel has been good on the Eagles since he left the Pats. Bailey was pretty good in Denver and I know Woodson has been alright on the Packers. Deon was good everywhere he went (except the last place, I forget which team that was).

I think Aso would be good just because he's been good for years, and the Raiders front 7 isn't exactly a QB pressure machine. Not saying it's a for sure thing, but it's about as close as you can get.I think the Ravens were the last team for Deon six years ago.

Lucky
05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Not saying it's a for sure thing...
Then I'll say it. Nnamdi Asomugha is a sure thing. And there's a lot of smoke (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2011/05/14/2011-05-14_buffalo_bills_owner_ralph_wilson_never_wanted_t hat_deal_nfl_owners_cant_seem_to_.html?page=2) concerning Nnamdi and Houston.

Whenever the lockout ends, Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Nnamdi+Asomugha) is going to be the No. 1 free agent on the market. It's not often the league's second-best shutdown corner, in his prime, reaches the open market. It's going to be awfully tough for the Jets to pay Asomugha market value after signing Darrelle Revis (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Darrelle+Revis) last year, but it would be impossible to throw on the Jets if they were able to pair them. Even if 2011 is a year without a salary cap, the cap will likely return in 2012. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Mike+Tannenbaum) is a creative guy, so he has to at least look into it. Rumors are the Eagles, Patriots and Texans (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Houston+Texans) will make a push for Asomugha…
Will the Texans have to offer Asomugha more $$$ than any other team? Yes. And I don't have a problem with that. The players in the most demand should earn the most money.

gary
05-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Then I'll say it. Nnamdi Asomugha is a sure thing. And there's a lot of smoke (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2011/05/14/2011-05-14_buffalo_bills_owner_ralph_wilson_never_wanted_t hat_deal_nfl_owners_cant_seem_to_.html?page=2) concerning Nnamdi and Houston.

Will the Texans have to offer Asomugha more $$$ than any other team? Yes. And I don't have a problem with that. The players in the most demand should earn the most money.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]Exactly.

beerlover
05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Its hard to imagine Bob outbidding Jerry. I'll have to see it to believe it :shades:

Kaiser Toro
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
At some point in his life, McNair had to spend money to make money. Hopefully, Phillips can sell Aso or Cromartie through to pry that wallet open.

edo783
05-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Its hard to imagine Bob outbidding Jerry. I'll have to see it to believe it :shades:

Actually, at this point in time, I think Bob may have a bunch more coin available than Skelator does to get a deal done. He is up against it a bit with that white elephant he built in Dallas and I have heard he has some SERIOUS dollar commitments coming up.

thunderkyss
05-16-2011, 10:43 PM

I hope Rick Smith finds a way to sign Asomugha for some ridiculously rich deal creatively appropriated over a number of years.

I then hope McNair doesn't like the deal, thinks Rick gave up too much money.

End result, we get Asomugha & a new GM.

Rey
05-16-2011, 11:13 PM
If we got Aso, I think I may actually cry tears of joy.

My eyes are swelling up writing this post.

gtexan02
05-16-2011, 11:17 PM
The sad thing is, I would actually expect him to be a huge disappointment here... Thats how conditioned I've become

The first time I saw Peyton throw over his head, I'd think... "Yep, thought so"

GuerillaBlack
05-16-2011, 11:58 PM
It's time for the Texans to make a splash and sign Aso. It's the only logical thing to do tbh...

Wolf6151
05-17-2011, 01:05 AM
If we got Aso, I think I may actually cry tears of joy.

My eyes are swelling up writing this post.

Calm down, put the tissue down, it ain't gonna happen in Houston. Bottom line Bob ain't gonna spend that kind of money in FA. JMO.

Hookem Horns
05-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Calm down, put the tissue down, it ain't gonna happen in Houston. Bottom line Bob ain't gonna spend that kind of money in FA. JMO.

Sadly I agree with this. Just like the writer of that article said he would not pick the Texans to go to the playoffs until they actually do. I am not going to expect McNair to sign a big name free agent until he actually does.

El Tejano
05-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I'd be happy if they didn't sign Aso only if they end up doing something crazy like getting two really good CBs for the price they would've paid for Aso.

Is there any chance that the Texans could pick up a solid FA CB and then go to Aso and say "Look we got X CB in FA who is going to start and right behind him and you we got Jason Allen who had 6 ints last year. You come play for the Texans and you easily will be asked not to do half the things you have to do with the other team." ?

From the John Clayton article:

Asomugha has had only 52 passes completed against him in the past three seasons.

Need we say more?

LikeMike
05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Aso would transform this team in a serious title contender almost single handedly. Putting KJax and Allen on the 2nd and 3d receiver, having safety help from a guy who can actually cover (Quinn) and a pretty decent pass rush - and all of that under a DC who actually knows what he is doing - could make this a top 10 defense (if we don`t suffer major injuries).

This team right now has one very big hole - and we could fix it with arguably the best player on his position. We could even say, we are only this player away from contending - that makes it suck even harder, that we probably won`t get him. Bob won`t be willing to spend that amount of money... well, but in this long offseason we can dream, right?

DonnyMost
05-17-2011, 08:48 AM
You can't take it with you, Bob.

Andre is friends with Nnamdi... maybe he can help us off the field, too?

GP
05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Because the Texans are notoriously slow to move or act on things, maybe the ongoing lockout will make Bob McNair sit and stew on this.

Maybe he'll sit there and watch this lockout drag on and on, and maybe it gives Phillips more time to creatively argue (with McNair) for the benefits of grabbing a CB like Aso.

Since the departure of Charlie Casserly, there has not really been the "flashy" deals in free agency, if we can call Casserly's free agency wheeling and dealing that...I'm just saying that outside of Antonio Smith, there hasn't really been a free agency acquisition of notoriety here.

All I can hope for is that McNair has recovered from that era, and that he has a genuine "defensive football mind" in Wade Phillips who is going to bat every day--Always lobbying for a better secondary player. I don't think is dumber than we are; I'd like to think that if anybody knows the CB position is a laughing stock here that it'd be Wade Phillips who knows it most.

I think the Texans have to practically throw stoopid crazy money at Aso within the first minute that free agency is open for business. I mean, they have to sit there, Bob and Rick and Wade and Gary, watching the clock tick down to Open For Business time, and dial Aso's agent the second the hand hits the 12, and say "We'll give him x-amount" knowing that it's the best offer the Texans can do; knowing it's the tip top, bump-the-ceiling dollar amount that can feasibly work within other limitations/expenses/guidelines.

Peyton Manning willingly offered and ended up re-structuring his contract so the Colts could retain a key player (taking money from Peyton and giving it to the key player, I think it was Reggie Wayne IIRC). I'd like to see someone like AJ do the same thing, though I also want to state that I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

If guys in Houston want to win. If they want to make the playoffs. If they want to make it and have a real chance to win a SB title, then there's a lot of things that need to happen to give them a reasonable chance to do so. And to me, grabbing the premiere NFL CB who literally (not figuratively) shuts down his side of the field is what does it or at least makes it more believeable--Aso allowed 52 completions in three season, which is 17 completions-per-year, which is about ONE completion-per-game.

Realistically, I don't believe we'll grab Aso. I do believe we will offer him significant money, but I think he's going to get equal money AND a better team in a better market. Ultimately, he will reject our offer partially based upon him being tired of being stuck on a loser team for so long and not desiring to roll the dice in Houston, as well.

badboy
05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
The sad thing is, I would actually expect him to be a huge disappointment here... Thats how conditioned I've become

The first time I saw Peyton throw over his head, I'd think... "Yep, thought so"What will you think the first time Aso intercepts Peyton? This is just as likely a scenario. While considering a new girlfriend, I would remain cognizant of what issues there were with other women in my past and also problems with women in other relations I know about. In the long run, I will base my decision on what I know about the new girlfriend. I guess I am just programmed to think a new person will work out for me. To be honest, I doubt I would spend much time on how much the cost would be to have her in my life. I would focus on hip swivle, back pedal (when she realizes she's wrong & I'm right) 40 speed to the bedroom and what she does once she gets her hands on the ball.

El Tejano
05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Aren't Aso and Dre good friends, come on Dre get him to sign!!!!!!!!

Dre needs to pull out our Raiders game film (based on how many times we've played them we got alot of it. And he could even pull up the season when we first went 8-8 and we lost to the Raiders on the second to last game of the season costing us a 9-7 season.) Then he could just turn to them and say "Now if he did that to me, he can do that to Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Kenny Britt, and whoever Jville has."

CloakNNNdagger
05-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Because the Texans are notoriously slow to move or act on things, maybe the ongoing lockout will make Bob McNair sit and stew on this.

By the time he usually figures it out, opportunity has left the building. Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0

Texecutioner
05-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Nate Clements was never anywhere close to as good as Aso is. Clements was just the hottest CB on the market that year coming off of a great season where he over achieved. Aso has been a true shut down corner for years on a team with a bad pass rush. He's way better than Clements ever has been.

GP
05-17-2011, 10:22 AM
By the time he usually figures it out, opportunity has left the building. Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0

Yeah, that's true.

I was just trying to see if I could get some temporary membership inclusion with the Sunshine Club for a little bit.

I was trying to think "positive." Silly me.

Ole Miss Texan
05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
So picture this:

Connor Barwin/Brooks Reed - Antonio Smith - Earl Mitchell - JJ Watt - Mario Williams all rushing the passer.

Demeco Ryans and Brian Cushing manning the middle of the field spying on the QB.

Nnamdi Asomugha shutting down one side of the field with Shiloh Keo over his top spying deep middle.

Kareem Jackson covering the other side of the field with Glover Quin helping over the top.

Maybe have Keo/Quin/Jackson playing 3-man safety with Asomugha and Allen/Harris as corners.

I know we're relying heavily on Barwin and Demeco coming back healthy, and some rookies to step up and in.... but I really think this defense is as close to complete as ever if we got Asomugha. This would be a dangerous dangerous TEAM.

gtexan02
05-17-2011, 10:37 AM
I bet the lockout has a lot of effect on this actually.

It makes most sense for Aso to go to a team that isnt undergoing a major defensive transformation

Scooter
05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
like everyone else, "i'll believe it when i see it". i can find one point of optimism however that mcnair might spend to bring in aso ... he has his ideal coaches and obviously wants to keep them. kubiak the aggie and hometown kid on offense (who a lot think should've been gone a year or two ago), and now the son of bum and fan favorite on defense. mcnair wants to market these two, but to keep that pairing past 2011 we have to win 10+ games and atleast make the playoffs, something most dont see as possible without something bigtime happening in our secondary.

Double Barrel
05-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Rick Smith played safety at Purdue, where he was a defensive backs coach for two years after graduation.

In Rick Smith's mind, he knows secondary. And the key here is that he thinks he knows secondary.

This is the same braniac who preached to us about going with youth in our secondary last off-season. Yeah, genius! His knowledge of secondary talent led us to...one of the worst units in NFL history.

This dude isn't going to sign Asomugha to a huge contract. He's just not going to do it. It would be contrary to his entire M.O. since he's been here, and a tiger doesn't change it's stripes.

Expect Asomugha in New England, where they can give him jack and a winning tradition. No way will Smith / McNair offer a contract that will be more tempting than whatever NE offers. I just don't see it happening...ever.

HOU-TEX
05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Rick Smith played safety at Purdue, where he was a defensive backs coach for two years after graduation.

In Rick Smith's mind, he knows secondary. And the key here is that he thinks he knows secondary.

This is the same braniac who preached to us about going with youth in our secondary last off-season. Yeah, genius! His knowledge of secondary talent led us to...one of the worst units in NFL history.

This dude isn't going to sign Asomugha to a huge contract. He's just not going to do it. It would be contrary to his entire M.O. since he's been here, and a tiger doesn't change it's stripes.

Expect Asomugha in New England, where they can give him jack and a winning tradition. No way will Smith / McNair offer a contract that will be more tempting than whatever NE offers. I just don't see it happening...ever.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the Pats are known for spending the big big bucks on FA's either. I think any team in the NFC East have the better odds than anyone.

steelbtexan
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM

^^^^

This

If BoB wants to sign ASO, he will have to do what Phillips in Chicago did with Peppers. When he comes in for his visit offer him a contract he cant refuse. Dont let ASO leave the building without signing a contract.

I cant see BoB doing something like that. Afterall wasn't there an eariler thread where BoB said he wasn't going to do anything crazy?

That means dont expect ASO to be in a Texans uni next yr.

Jackie Chiles
05-17-2011, 11:56 AM
^^^^

This

If BoB wants to sign ASO, he will have to do what Phillips in Chicago did with Peppers. When he comes in for his visit offer him a contract he cant refuse. Dont let ASO leave the building without signing a contract.

I cant see BoB doing something like that. Afterall wasn't there an eariler thread where BoB said he wasn't going to do anything crazy?

That means dont expect ASO to be in a Texans uni next yr.

It would be crazy not to sign him.

Texecutioner
05-17-2011, 12:10 PM
It would be crazy not to sign him.

It's been crazy that we've ignored all sorts of players that filled holes in free agency for years that could have helped our team a lot and went on to become great pieces for other teams. That would be nothing new here. Bob isn't going to spend the kind of money other teams will to get ASO. He's just not going to do it, and we don't have a strong minded GM here that is hell bent on convincing him to do it. All this talk about Aso around here is just a masturbation session as it is every year when people start discussing top end free agents that we never go after.

The Texans will probably express interest, but when it comes down to paying what other teams will, that's when Bob will feel like "he's doing something crazy" and he already stated that he's not doing that. That's when we'll walk away and let either NE, Philly, Washington, or some other team that will sign him.

Double Barrel
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I might be wrong, but I don't think the Pats are known for spending the big big bucks on FA's either. I think any team in the NFC East have the better odds than anyone.

yeah, you're right about that. I just used the Patriots example from Lucky's post about current Aso rumors.

badboy
05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I bet the lockout has a lot of effect on this actually.

It makes most sense for Aso to go to a team that isnt undergoing a major defensive transformationNot if the team underging transformation will be the best & with Phillips history it could easily be one of the best in NFL with Aso on it.

beerlover
05-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Aso as he relates to Houston Texans, does have some plus plus characteristics. One is most obvious - fills a dire need. Two, is in his prime years. Three, meets necessary off field behavior (clean charitable work) along with Andre Johnson type work ethic. Fourth, pressure is on Bob McNair to led by example, is he committed to winning via showing big time free acquisition's the money :money:

TimeKiller
05-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Why would the worst secondary in the NFL bid up for the best CB around?

Oh the worst secondary of a team who makes more money than nearly every other organization in the world? Yeah that one.

Why? On a defense that has SO MANY QUESTION marks, what would a sure thing do besides not help at all?

You guys are dumb. Asomugha wouldn't help us at all.

Watt- Rookie, can he play/live up to the hype?
Mitchell- can he play as an undersized NT in 3/4 after not much experience as a rookie?
Smith- can he get over himself and play 3/4 end? can he wait until 'hike' is called?
Barwin- return from injury?
Cushing- return from.....pregnancy?
Ryans- return from injury?
Williams- can he stand up as a rush OLB? can he bring it every down?
Jackson- can he be anything besides the worst starting CB of all time?
Allen- can he continue to remake himself here or was that a flash that's gone forever?
Quin- can he be a FS?
SS- is a gigantic GD question mark altogether.

Yeah. How would having a top CB help any of these fools?

badboy
05-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Why would the worst secondary in the NFL bid up for the best CB around?

Oh the worst secondary of a team who makes more money than nearly every other organization in the world? Yeah that one.

Why? On a defense that has SO MANY QUESTION marks, what would a sure thing do besides not help at all?

You guys are dumb. Asomugha wouldn't help us at all.

Watt- Rookie, can he play/live up to the hype?
Mitchell- can he play as an undersized NT in 3/4 after not much experience as a rookie?
Smith- can he get over himself and play 3/4 end? can he wait until 'hike' is called?
Barwin- return from injury?
Cushing- return from.....pregnancy?
Ryans- return from injury?
Williams- can he stand up as a rush OLB? can he bring it every down?
Jackson- can he be anything besides the worst starting CB of all time?
Allen- can he continue to remake himself here or was that a flash that's gone forever?
Quin- can he be a FS?
SS- is a gigantic GD question mark altogether.

Yeah. How would having a top CB help any of these fools?TK, I had a little difficulty following your post & am assuming you are being sarcastic and are implying we do need Asomugha. If I am reading you incorrectly then your statement that he would not help at all is about the most ignorant I have seen in all the years on a Texans MB.

Brisco_County
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Ordinarily, I'd say there's no way McNair opens the wallet.

But with Wade's influence and McNair's current initiative to shake things up, the tendency to buck tradition creates a small possibility of paying top dollar for a low-risk FA acquisition.

Texecutioner
05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
TK, I had a little difficulty following your post & am assuming you are being sarcastic and are implying we do need Asomugha. If I am reading you incorrectly then your statement that he would not help at all is about the most ignorant I have seen in all the years on a Texans MB.

His entire post was implied sarcasm.

gary
05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
This thread is making me want football but there isn't any stupid lockout.

Hervoyel
05-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Realistically, I don't believe we'll grab Aso. I do believe we will offer him significant money, but I think he's going to get equal money AND a better team in a better market. Ultimately, he will reject our offer partially based upon him being tired of being stuck on a loser team for so long and not desiring to roll the dice in Houston, as well.

But......we're on the right track. Doesn't Aso see this?

Seriously, signing Aso is the only thing I want to see out of McNair at this point. I will accept a serious attempt that is simply rebuffed because Aso has (in this scenario) no interest in playing here. That's understandable. It's believable. It's even likely I think. What I will not accept is anything less than a full push to try and sign the best player/best fit for the Texans in all their years of existence. Rarely does a perfect opportunity to fill a need, address a concern, and prove a point like Asomugha come along. Bob McNair wants to win (he says). Sign Aso. Bob McNair's football team has a ****ING PATHETIC secondary. Sign Aso. Bob McNair doesn't sign veteran free agents pass their prime to big contracts. Aso is in his prime. Aso is worth the money. Aso is exactly what the doctor ordered for the Houston Texans (Seriously, just ask CloakNNNdagger. He's a doctor).

If I don't see the Texans make an intense effort to go after this guy then McNair can just assume the position right there next to all the lousy Houston sports owners like Bottom-Line Bud and John McMullen.

This is a put up or shut up moment for Uncle Bob. What's it gonna be?

BigBull17
05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
I would make him a very nice offer, and damn near guarantee the whole damn thing. Sink or swim move.

infantrycak
05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Peyton Manning willingly offered and ended up re-structuring his contract so the Colts could retain a key player (taking money from Peyton and giving it to the key player, I think it was Reggie Wayne IIRC). I'd like to see someone like AJ do the same thing, though I also want to state that I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

Manning was the highest paid player on his team and possibly in the league at that point.

So you want AJ to give up part of his 2011 $7 mil to give to a guy who made $15 mil last year?

I would make him a very nice offer, and damn near guarantee the whole damn thing. Sink or swim move.

So what is a very nice offer for a guy who made $15 mil for each of the last two years and is walking away from $17 mil? Is he willing to take Darrelle Revis $11.5 mil type money or will he insist on a raise from what he walked away from?

beerlover
05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Manning was the highest paid player on his team and possibly in the league at that point.

So you want AJ to give up part of his 2011 $7 mil to give to a guy who made $15 mil last year?

So what is a very nice offer for a guy who made $15 mil for each of the last two years and is walking away from $17 mil? Is he willing to take Darrelle Revis $11.5 mil type money or will he insist on a raise from what he walked away from?

now I get it, your one of those power agents aren't you :handshake:

TimeKiller
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM
TK, I had a little difficulty following your post & am assuming you are being sarcastic and are implying we do need Asomugha. If I am reading you incorrectly then your statement that he would not help at all is about the most ignorant I have seen in all the years on a Texans MB.

No, I'm totally not being sarcastic. I don't even think Asomugha is all that good. He's probably worse than Jackson. All we need to do is bring in some more young guys, stick with what we're doing and eventually it will all come together.

Yes I'm being sarcastic....geez.....

GuerillaBlack
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
No, I'm totally not being sarcastic. I don't even think Asomugha is all that good. He's probably worse than Jackson. All we need to do is bring in some more young guys, stick with what we're doing and eventually it will all come together.

Yes I'm being sarcastic....geez.....

I think most got it. It was obvious tbh..

b0ng
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM

I was speaking more with respect to his talents and how well he could transition to a different defense. I hope they sign him. I want them to sign him. I need the Texans to sign a big name free agent for our terrible secondary. But in no way am I going to believe it's happening until it's a confirmed report on the news wire. Whether Rick Smith or Bob McNair or whoever thinks they know DB talent or not, I just don't see them opening up that much money on a FA. I'm pretty sure that contract would dwarf any other FA contract we've ever had signed.

Ole Miss Texan
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I think Nnamdi could play on any defense and find success. Put him on an island on one side and have the 3 other DBs play man or zone or whatever.

I think this talk about him fitting in a scheme or not would be like any other team saying "but would Andre Johnson fit what this offense does?"

Hervoyel
05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
If Wade Phillips is the DC he's being touted as then I have no doubt he'll know exactly what to do with Asomugha. If he can't figure out what to do with him then that's a whole different kind of problem, though to be honest it's one we're very familiar with around these parts.

Still, with all my pessimism (and I've never felt this negative about the team before) I still can't force myself to believe that Wade Phillips couldn't build a very good defensive backfield with Aso, the junk we have on the roster right now, and a draft (like the one we just had) to pick up whatever else he needed.

HoustonFrog
05-17-2011, 05:13 PM
LOL..RJ source

http://twitter.com/#!/Rotoworld_FB

Rotoworld_FB Rotoworld Football
Asomugha 'doesn't want any part' of Texans? http://dlvr.it/S2x23

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204553/football-headlines?r=1

The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice passes along word that free agent Nnamdi Asomugha "doesn't want any part" of the Texans.
Justice doesn't pass along any specifics, but it's widely believed that Asomugha's top priorities include playing for a contender. The Texans have that potential, but they're certainly not there yet. We've yet to find anyone covering the Texans who believes owner Bob McNair would be willing to make the high-dollar investment in Asomugha, regardless.

disaacks3
05-17-2011, 05:15 PM
LOL..RJ source

The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice

You can stop reading after that ^^^ if you're looking for accurate sports news.

badboy
05-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Aso as he relates to Houston Texans, does have some plus plus characteristics. One is most obvious - fills a dire need. Two, is in his prime years. Three, meets necessary off field behavior (clean charitable work) along with Andre Johnson type work ethic. Fourth, pressure is on Bob McNair to led by example, is he committed to winning via showing big time free acquisition's the money :money:I want to expand on your post. If we did not have AJ and WR was our dire need and all offensive and defensive stats were reversed, would McNair go after Andre Johnson was a free agent from Oakland would McNair go100 % after him? I say yes.

badboy
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM

I think the right offer puts as much money in the player's hands as quickly as possible. He was to get $17m from Oakland. So hit him with $25m bonus and $10 million first year that more than double his Oakland money and then guarantee what it takes of remaining contract to sign him.

Big Lou
05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
LOL..RJ source

I expect to see an announcment any minute that Aso has signed with Houston regardless of the lock out and rules forbiding this if Dickey Justice reported that Aso not interested!!!! Hooray!!!

I think Dicky is just trying to sabotage Rick Smith, he has a crush on him and can't admit it to himself or the world.

Double Barrel
05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
You can stop reading after that ^^^ if you're looking for accurate sports news.

While certainly true and something I would never argue...I think it's one of those no-brainer things based upon our owner's M.O. and the idea of an elite player looking at the Texans.

File these under "Safe Assumptions" because it would take the stars aligning on December 21, 2012 while Santa Claus square dances with Sasquatch on an alien UFO over Times Square for either of these to come true, much less both at the same time.

PHAROAH
05-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Break Bread and get him in Texas.

Thorn
05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
I'd love it if he came here, but seriously, I don't really think there's a chance in hell that would happen.

beerlover
05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Speculation is all the owners have left their fans. No free agency, no Aso, or OTA's. No NFL football period. So it doesn't hurt to dream :thisbig:

b0ng
05-17-2011, 08:33 PM
While certainly true and something I would never argue...I think it's one of those no-brainer things based upon our owner's M.O. and the idea of an elite player looking at the Texans.

File these under "Safe Assumptions" because it would take the stars aligning on December 21, 2012 while Santa Claus square dances with Sasquatch on an alien UFO over Times Square for either of these to come true, much less both at the same time.

Did he quote a source saying that Aso wasn't interested or is this another blogpost of his best guesses?

edo783
05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Did he quote a source saying that Aso wasn't interested or is this another blogpost of his best guesses?

IMO, it is just DICK Justice looking for attention and making statements that can't be checked that will get him the attention he wants and pokes the stick at the people he hates ....... The Texans and their fans. Remember, they didn't pick VY and he hasn't let that go and never will.

Texan_Bill
05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
No they wont be the only team to make him an offer , but if you fix the back end of this defense you have a team that can win it all .... and signing Aso does just that , fixes the back end while making the rest of the guys around him better.

I tried to "fix the back end" the other night with a girl at a place.......... I was ejected from the club! :fingergun:

CloakNNNdagger
05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
IMO, it is just DICK Justice looking for attention and making statements that can't be checked that will get him the attention he wants and pokes the stick at the people he hates ....... The Texans and their fans. Remember, they didn't pick VY and he hasn't let that go and never will.

Imagine that........a DICK looking for attention.......:kitten:

gtexan02
05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Not if the team underging transformation will be the best & with Phillips history it could easily be one of the best in NFL with Aso on it.

What makes you believe that? When have the Texans ever made an entire paradigm switch and not taken time to "gel" or "learn the system"

Its taken years for us to learn our running game.

All of a sudden we go from 4-3 to 3-4 and put players in totally new positions, its going to take time. If the lockout eats up all of training camp and preseason games, then too bad for us, because we're done

Texecutioner
05-17-2011, 11:23 PM
I want to expand on your post. If we did not have AJ and WR was our dire need and all offensive and defensive stats were reversed, would McNair go after Andre Johnson was a free agent from Oakland would McNair go100 % after him? I say yes.

Based off of what exactly?? If AJ was on another team, I think the thought of Mcnair paying top dollar for him in free agency is the most laughable idea I've heard all week honestly. Mcnair has shown nothing in his history to suggest that he'd go after a top skill player at their position like that if it was a need.

Bottom line is that Aso is available now and Mcnair can prove what he would or wouldn't do and go after him. He won't make any major push though, because he considers throwing money around on a player like that as "crazy". We're on the right track remember? The only reason why AJ got paid top dollar here is because he had already been here and been in the good graces of the coaching staff and fan base. Mcnair has never shown that he'll aggressively go after a top flight free agent. He just hasn't.

Tonaaayyyy
05-18-2011, 12:48 AM
What makes you believe that? When have the Texans ever made an entire paradigm switch and not taken time to "gel" or "learn the system"

All of a sudden we go from 4-3 to 3-4 and put players in totally new positions, its going to take time. If the lockout eats up all of training camp and preseason games, then too bad for us, because we're done

Our defense can't be as bad as it was last year :fingergun:

dalemurphy
05-18-2011, 02:37 AM
Based off of what exactly?? If AJ was on another team, I think the thought of Mcnair paying top dollar for him in free agency is the most laughable idea I've heard all week honestly. Mcnair has shown nothing in his history to suggest that he'd go after a top skill player at their position like that if it was a need.

Bottom line is that Aso is available now and Mcnair can prove what he would or wouldn't do and go after him. He won't make any major push though, because he considers throwing money around on a player like that as "crazy". We're on the right track remember? The only reason why AJ got paid top dollar here is because he had already been here and been in the good graces of the coaching staff and fan base. Mcnair has never shown that he'll aggressively go after a top flight free agent. He just hasn't.

This is simply not true. One can make the argument that Kubiak and Smith haven't shown the willingness... But, McNair has shown willingness to spend top dollar on free agents. Unfortunately, the previous GM was ill-equipped to identify the right players. Here's an abbreviated list of examples:

Orlando Pace (willing to spend over $50 mil on a contract
Robaire Smith ($35 mil, i think)
Todd Wade ($25-$30 mil, I think)

not to mention the initial efforts to overpay for veterans during the expansion draft: Boselli, G.Walker, SPayne, J. Sharper, among others... In order to add relatively young talent to the team by means of the expansion draft, the Texans agreed to take over-priced veterans off of their former team (giving that team cap relief), if the team would also expose a veteran they were interested in to the expansion draft. McNair made those agreements with the Jets, Ravens, and Jags, if memory serves.

TimeKiller
05-18-2011, 07:53 AM
25 mil a year if that's what it takes. Make him the highest paid player such that he'll REMAIN the highest paid player for years to come.

He doesn't have interest in the Texans? NO SHIT. Way to solve that mystery Sherlock. All we're counting on is that he is waaaaay more interested in money than the logo on his jersey.

gafftop
05-18-2011, 07:58 AM
This is simply not true. One can make the argument that Kubiak and Smith haven't shown the willingness... But, McNair has shown willingness to spend top dollar on free agents. Unfortunately, the previous GM was ill-equipped to identify the right players. Here's an abbreviated list of examples:

not to mention the initial efforts to overpay for veterans during the expansion draft: Boselli, G.Walker, SPayne, J. Sharper, among others... In order to add relatively young talent to the team by means of the expansion draft, the Texans agreed to take over-priced veterans off of their former team (giving that team cap relief), if the team would also expose a veteran they were interested in to the expansion draft. McNair made those agreements with the Jets, Ravens, and Jags, if memory serves.

I think just for the moves already made that did not work out McNair has decided not to go after high dollar free agents. I agree that you should take decisions on a case by case basis but that involves thinking. Far easier to make universal rule then follow no matter what the case. Kind of like bring in closer in ninth no matter what. Just stupid. Wow the Texans are the DUMB and DUMBER fo the NFL based on the above moves.

houstonspartan
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Know what's really sad about all of this? Regardless of our record, if we had a really strong, high-profile coach we could easily land someone like Aso.

A Bill Cowher has enough juice in the business and behind his reputation that he could easily convince Aso to come here, and Aso would based on the potential he would see in such a coach. Why do you think players are willing to sell their souls to the devil to play for Rex Ryan, who has only been coaching for a couple of years?

Wade is great and all, but, we would need a STRONG head coach with a reputation to really bring top-flight free agents to Houston.

Texecutioner
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM

They brought in Orlando Pace. I'll give him that. He didn't push aggressively enough, and that's exactly why he went back to the Rams and left Mcnair holding the bag. Pace and his owner treated Mcnair like a rookie owner And Robaire Smith?? He was never the type of player that I'm talking about. Bad example. He was just a guy that got way over paid, and the same with Todd Wade. Stop bringing up Todd Wade for heaven's sake. That dude was never a good player, and it makes it seem like you're just trying to make excuses for Mcnair by using examples like him. Todd Wade was horrible. Every time there is an obvious player out there that fills a major hole whether it's in free agency or a player seeking a trade with permission from his team to market himself, Mcnair and the Texans are non existent. And if they're even interested at all, they're like the typical poker player that folds after the first raise by other participants.

And if it's true that Aso is completely balking at the idea of the Texans being interested in him, than that truly shows how this organization is looked at around the league and how little respect Smithiak has from anyone. It's sad.

GuerillaBlack
05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Know what's really sad about all of this? Regardless of our record, if we had a really strong, high-profile coach we could easily land someone like Aso.

A Bill Cowher has enough juice in the business and behind his reputation that he could easily convince Aso to come here, and Aso would based on the potential he would see in such a coach. Why do you think players are willing to sell their souls to the devil to play for Rex Ryan, who has only been coaching for a couple of years?

Wade is great and all, but, we would need a STRONG head coach with a reputation to really bring top-flight free agents to Houston.

I've been saying this since they decided again to keep Kubiak. Bill Cowher brings in the potential to bring in a lot of better players. It would be much easier convincing Aso to come here by sending out Cowher/Wade (if he would be the DC) than it is to send out Kubiak. What is Aso going to think of Kubiak? IMO, "this guy hasn't made the playoffs since he's been coach. Pass.". Sucks, but it's the truth. I remember Casey Hampton said he would come play back home in the Houston area if Cowher became coach. Pretty good NT he would be. In the list goes on...

GP
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
They brought in Orlando Pace. I'll give him that. He didn't push aggressively enough, and that's exactly why he went back to the Rams and left Mcnair holding the bag. Pace and his owner treated Mcnair like a rookie owner And Robaire Smith?? He was never the type of player that I'm talking about. Bad example. He was just a guy that got way over paid, and the same with Todd Wade. Stop bringing up Todd Wade for heaven's sake. That dude was never a good player, and it makes it seem like you're just trying to make excuses for Mcnair by using examples like him. Todd Wade was horrible. Every time there is an obvious player out there that fills a major hole whether it's in free agency or a player seeking a trade with permission from his team to market himself, Mcnair and the Texans are non existent. And if they're even interested at all, they're like the typical poker player that folds after the first raise by other participants.

And if it's true that Aso is completely balking at the idea of the Texans being interested in him, than that truly shows how this organization is looked at around the league and how little respect Smithiak has from anyone. It's sad.

Actually, IIRC, Pace was on the plane to head to Houston to talk with McNair...and the Rams called him before his plane left and signed him to a deal--We never talked with him because he never had to leave the airport for the trip to possibly get a deal with us.

All in all, he was just using the Texans as leverage to get a deal with his current team...as is customary for the majority of players who say they're interested in joining the Texans.

It's also a good thing the Rams did that, because Pace never played a significant amount of snaps from that point forward. That's ONE non-acquisition that actually worked out in our favor (for a change). LOL.

Texecutioner
05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Actually, IIRC, Pace was on the plane to head to Houston to talk with McNair...and the Rams called him before his plane left and signed him to a deal--We never talked with him because he never had to leave the airport for the trip to possibly get a deal with us.

All in all, he was just using the Texans as leverage to get a deal with his current team...as is customary for the majority of players who say they're interested in joining the Texans.

It's also a good thing the Rams did that, because Pace never played a significant amount of snaps from that point forward. That's ONE non-acquisition that actually worked out in our favor (for a change). LOL.

We didn't know that at the time though that his injuries were going to be as significant as they were later throughout his career. Actually I don't fault the Texans as much as some people do as far as all of their problems that they had on the O line starting off with how poorly we protected David Carr. I think one of the huge problems was Tony Boselli and all that money we wasted on him when he never played a down. It was awful from the standpoint of the scouts or whoever's job that was to get the proper physicals done and to investigate how badly injured he was, but the Texans did get ****ed hard on that deal. They did go out and sign that big time LT to protect Carr at the time in Boselli. He just never played unfortunately. I wonder who it was in the organization at the time that totally blew it when it came down to investigating Boselli's injuries at the time. Someone totally screwed up there, but Casserly and Mcnair did actually "attempt" to get that franchise LT when this team first got started and that failure definitely set us back.

b0ng
05-18-2011, 10:49 AM

The quality of said player has little or nothing to do with people saying McNair doesn't spend money. The fact is he has done it before (stupidly) and it ignores about half of the Texans history when people say McNair is the one being cheap and McNair is the one doing this or doing that with free agents. As far as I'm aware nobody likes Rick Smith here either but yet they refuse to pin silly FA decisions on him, that goes to McNair for some reason.

I'd like to know what makes people think Bob McNair is so hands on with the roster of the Texans.

beerlover
05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Texans almost spent stupid money on another CB not even in Aso class a couple years ago, Leigh Bodden, who used Houston to leverage his deal in New England, then got hurt & missed an entire season. Just saying :kitten:

infantrycak
05-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Yup. Heard McClain on the radio this morning and I didn't hear him saying anything to back Justice up. And while I am not a big McClain fan his NFL contacts are far superior to Justice's who people forget is mainly a baseball guy.

Nope - didn't go down that way at all.

With a Wednesday deadline in place to get a long-term contract with the Rams, Pace and his new agent, Kennard McGuire, flew to Houston on Monday to visit the Texans. Their goal: to facilitate a trade that would end his eight-year career as the Rams' left tackle.

The Texans took Pace to dinner Monday night. They plan to talk to the Rams in the next 48 hours about a possible trade that might involve the 13th pick in the first round of the April draft and more. If they agree to the terms of a trade, the Texans would have no problem reaching a contract agreement with Pace.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2012782)

Here was a post from a Ram fan at the time:

Mike Claiborne (KFNS) had a lengthy discussion with Orlando Pace -- last night and then again today.

Claiborne believes the Rams and Pace are very close to reaching a deal.

That was the indication he got from Orlando.

And Pace confirmed on KFNS just now, saying, "we're very close."

The Rams sweetened their offer today (Tuesday)

Pace just finished up an interview on KFNS.

Pace just said "we're close. I'm about to get on a plane right now (to Orlando) and hopefully by the time I land, we'll have a deal."

He said turning point was the Houston trip...it brought about a new offer from the Rams...structure of the deal (apparently) was tweaked by the Rams...Pace said that means more to him then the end number in the contract -- which I take to mean that the Rams moved more of the money to the front part of the deal.

Double Barrel
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM

That's what I'm saying, he doesn't need a source for the obvious. There is no incentive for a player of Aso's caliber to play for the Texans except for money. And to lure him would take a financial offer that is well beyond what McNair would find reasonable. The only chance for Aso to even consider it is to grossly over pay him, which is safe to assume will never happen.

Sometimes something is so obvious that you don't need a source. Justice is not reporting anything that the average Texans fan doesn't already know.

Texecutioner
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
The quality of said player has little or nothing to do with people saying McNair doesn't spend money. The fact is he has done it before (stupidly) and it ignores about half of the Texans history when people say McNair is the one being cheap and McNair is the one doing this or doing that with free agents. As far as I'm aware nobody likes Rick Smith here either but yet they refuse to pin silly FA decisions on him, that goes to McNair for some reason.

I don't think that any of those examples other than Pace prove that he's willing to spend big in the open market. With the exception of Pace none of those guys were franchise players at their position. And if that's the best that people can try to site as Mcnair's spending abilities when we're like in the top 10 of the most successful franchises in our 9 year history I think that actually proves the point of people criticizing Mcnair for not spending the money he needs to in order to fill holes.

I'd like to know what makes people think Bob McNair is so hands on with the roster of the Texans.

That's part of the huge problem here. He'll put this unconditional trust in incapable guys that have proven nothing, and he'll wait until it all crumbles before he'll actually address their failures. He won't take notice of any of the symptoms that cause this team to continually fail and he'll wait until the volcano completely erupts instead of noticing a pattern of poor symptoms early on. For all we know with Mcnair's history we might still have Smithiak on our hands for another few years even without any post season appearances. What I fear the most is if the Texans somehow do make the playoffs with like a weak 9-7 team and get blown out in the first round fans and Mcnair both will act like Kubiak is some God for doing that and he'll get extended again and he'll be treated like a Bum Phillips around this city.

Texecutioner
05-18-2011, 11:16 AM
That's what I'm saying, he doesn't need a source for the obvious. There is no incentive for a player of Aso's caliber to play for the Texans except for money. And to lure him would take a financial offer that is well beyond what McNair would find reasonable. The only chance for Aso to even consider it is to grossly over pay him, which is safe to assume will never happen.

Sometimes something is so obvious that you don't need a source. Justice is not reporting anything that the average Texans fan doesn't already know.

It's not only just the money issue though. One of the biggest problems since Smithiak is here is that they're weak as hell on "selling" this organization as a potential winner for the future. They haven't established any ability to "lure" players over here at all, unless it was some ex Denver player when Kubes first got here. Those were the only players that smithiak seem to want any part of. You see guys like Rex Ryan who establish themselves as soon as they get to their franchise and start campaigning to players around the league to go there. Rex Ryan got a few good players right off the bat before he even coached a season as a HC. Smithiak just doesn't have any idea on how to create a flare here where players can say, I'm going there because this team is on their way up and I want to be apart of that. Meanwhile teams like the Jets, Falcons, Saints, and many others all have built their teams up and had no problems getting quality free agents to "want" to go there.

El Tejano
05-18-2011, 11:31 AM
It's not only just the money issue though. One of the biggest problems since Smithiak is here is that they're weak as hell on "selling" this organization as a potential winner for the future. They haven't established any ability to "lure" players over here at all, unless it was some ex Denver player when Kubes first got here. Those were the only players that smithiak seem to want any part of. You see guys like Rex Ryan who establish themselves as soon as they get to their franchise and start campaigning to players around the league to go there. Rex Ryan got a few good players right off the bat before he even coached a season as a HC. Smithiak just doesn't have any idea on how to create a flare here where players can say, I'm going there because this team is on their way up and I want to be apart of that. Meanwhile teams like the Jets, Falcons, Saints, and many others all have built their teams up and had no problems getting quality free agents to "want" to go there.

I agree with you. That being said, what incentives would you give Aso that would be a change from Oakland?

I'm asking because everytime I think of one, Oakland can provide the same incentive.

b0ng
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I agree with you. That being said, what incentives would you give Aso that would be a change from Oakland?

I'm asking because everytime I think of one, Oakland can provide the same incentive.

How about the owner isn't a side-show crypt keeper who also is the acting GM. Also, our offense can actually compete with other teams and is not relying on Jason Campbell to be a good QB.

disaacks3
05-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Then RJ should phrase it that way (or the source took it out of context). Saying that Asomugha wants "no part of the Texans" is completely different than saying the Texans won't do what it would take to bring him here.

badboy
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM

After DDW, we have not had a RB to learn anything. Foster is the first good RB since then. Phillips has a history of turning defenses around very quickly and has done so in first year.

Texecutioner
05-18-2011, 01:00 PM

It's real simple really. You make that player become a believer in what you're building and what you plan to sustain for the next ten years. You make that player feel like you're about to become the NE Patriots from this decade. I'd first make him understand that our offense has so many great pieces that they're onto something very special and it's hardly any work needed there. Then I'd mention at how bad our defense has been, but I'd highlight the great pieces we already have in Mario, Cushing, Demeco, and some of the other young draft picks and make Aso feel like we're a terrible defense that just needs another piece or two and the right coach to turn this entire thing around and that it's about to happen as long as Aso signs and I'd make him feel like he is that missing piece that's going to change things drastically. Then I'd reassure him about what we expect to do in the near future which would be to find the best safety available that this organization was more committed to winning a SB than any other team in the NFL and I'd explain how passionate the fan base is and how excited they'd be to have him here.

You've got to sell the players on the future and make them believe that they're about to be part of something huge and that when they come here they're going to make history.

houstonspartan
05-18-2011, 01:08 PM
It's real simple really. You make that player become a believer in what you're building and what you plan to sustain for the next ten years. You make that player feel like you're about to become the NE Patriots from this decade. I'd first make him understand that our offense has so many great pieces that they're onto something very special and it's hardly any work needed there. Then I'd mention at how bad our defense has been, but I'd highlight the great pieces we already have in Mario, Cushing, Demeco, and some of the other young draft picks and make Aso feel like we're a terrible defense that just needs another piece or two and the right coach to turn this entire thing around and that it's about to happen as long as Aso signs and I'd make him feel like he is that missing piece that's going to change things drastically. Then I'd reassure him about what we expect to do in the near future which would be to find the best safety available that this organization was more committed to winning a SB than any other team in the NFL and I'd explain how passionate the fan base is and how excited they'd be to have him here.

You've got to sell the players on the future and make them believe that they're about to be part of something huge and that when they come here they're going to make history.

Yep. Rex Ryan has been coaching for only a couple of years, and that man can land ANY PLAYER HE WANTS.

badboy
05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I've been saying this since they decided again to keep Kubiak. Bill Cowher brings in the potential to bring in a lot of better players. It would be much easier convincing Aso to come here by sending out Cowher/Wade (if he would be the DC) than it is to send out Kubiak. What is Aso going to think of Kubiak? IMO, "this guy hasn't made the playoffs since he's been coach. Pass.". Sucks, but it's the truth. I remember Casey Hampton said he would come play back home in the Houston area if Cowher became coach. Pretty good NT he would be. In the list goes on...Hopefully ASO will know that Kubiak has presented a very good offense & not just last season. We have the best WR, pro bowl FB, #1 RB & a pretty good Oline. OD is one of the best TEs and Dreesen looked very sharp.
I hope like me ASO would be intrigued to see a solid Watt replace Mario who moves to OLB and maybe ASO thinks "Wade has done well with other OLB..." He knows Allen would be a pretty good #2 CB and Quin will be decent FS who could cheat towards the other side if ASO was #1. It would help if we could get a vet SS to allow KEO to develop, but I think ASO just might like it here.

badboy
05-18-2011, 01:20 PM
We didn't know that at the time though that his injuries were going to be as significant as they were later throughout his career. Actually I don't fault the Texans as much as some people do as far as all of their problems that they had on the O line starting off with how poorly we protected David Carr. I think one of the huge problems was Tony Boselli and all that money we wasted on him when he never played a down. It was awful from the standpoint of the scouts or whoever's job that was to get the proper physicals done and to investigate how badly injured he was, but the Texans did get ****ed hard on that deal. They did go out and sign that big time LT to protect Carr at the time in Boselli. He just never played unfortunately. I wonder who it was in the organization at the time that totally blew it when it came down to investigating Boselli's injuries at the time. Someone totally screwed up there, but Casserly and Mcnair did actually "attempt" to get that franchise LT when this team first got started and that failure definitely set us back.
If I remember correctly we also got two defensive starters in Smith and Coleman & I believe both went to pro bowl first year on Texans.

Texecutioner
05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
If I remember correctly we also got two defensive starters in Smith and Coleman & I believe both went to pro bowl first year on Texans.

Our defense was pretty good in our first season. Glenn played pretty damn good at CB and I believe that Sharper led the league in tackles that season if I'm not mistaken. He was good for us though. Pollard was pretty good and Gary Walker had like two good seasons for us.

badboy
05-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Yup. Heard McClain on the radio this morning and I didn't hear him saying anything to back Justice up. And while I am not a big McClain fan his NFL contacts are far superior to Justice's who people forget is mainly a baseball guy.

Nope - didn't go down that way at all.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2012782)

Here was a post from a Ram fan at the time:

Ok, thanks. I thought I remembered Pace getting a dinner and an offer from Houston but then that offer raised offer from Rams.

badboy
05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Our defense was pretty good in our first season. Glenn played pretty damn good at CB and I believe that Sharper led the league in tackles that season if I'm not mistaken. He was good for us though. Pollard was pretty good and Gary Walker had like two good seasons for us.Dang it. It was Glen & Walker that went to probowl. Many thought Sharper had a chance. It owuld have been intersting if Boselli could have been just an average LT & reduced some of sacks on Carr.

Hervoyel
05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Dang it. It was Glen & Walker that went to probowl. Many thought Sharper had a chance. It owuld have been intersting if Boselli could have been just an average LT & reduced some of sacks on Carr.

No power in the universe could have reduced the number of sacks on Carr. He proved repeatedly that in the absence of pressure he was more than capable of sacking himself when necessary.

Couldn't read a defense to save his life. Couldn't hit a moving target consistently. Refused to put the time in to become a student of the game. Carr was a waste of a 1st overall draft pick. If we'd passed on Ocho-Stinko and drafted Peppers like we should have we'd have started out on a brilliant note. Instead we got Bob McNair's long-lost wanna-be son and dream-face of the franchise.

Norg
05-19-2011, 12:22 AM
today i heard on the radio Aso wants to be the highest paid CB in the leauge there is no way we are getting this fool he prob wants like 18 million paid !!!!! plus bonous for only like 2 maybe 3 years of his services .....

Allstar
05-19-2011, 01:54 AM
I hope that Bob hiring a big time coordinator like Wade is an indication that he is ready to spend in free agency. Aso would just be perfect. Can you imagine having Aso and AJ on the same team? Practice would be more challenging that the actual games for those two.

Hervoyel
05-19-2011, 09:46 AM
today i heard on the radio Aso wants to be the highest paid CB in the leauge there is no way we are getting this fool he prob wants like 18 million paid !!!!! plus bonous for only like 2 maybe 3 years of his services .....

I'm just curious but do you not think that the best cornerback in the league should be the highest paid cornerback in the league? Now I don't know if there is a truly definitive way of saying that Revis, or Aso, or somebody else is THE BEST CORNERBACK IN THE LEAGUE (TM) but I think that to the extent that we can determine who that is Aso is a big part of the discussion.

Had he said "highest paid player in the league" I'd be right there with you and talking about "this fool". Highest paid cornerback in the league however isn't too terribly unrealistic for this player. He actually has a better than usual (for a highly sought after free agent) chance of delivering on that high salary I think.

CloakNNNdagger
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
More likely, it is the fool who thinks that Aso will not end up being the highest paid CB in the NFL.

badboy
05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
No power in the universe could have reduced the number of sacks on Carr. He proved repeatedly that in the absence of pressure he was more than capable of sacking himself when necessary.

Couldn't read a defense to save his life. Couldn't hit a moving target consistently. Refused to put the time in to become a student of the game. Carr was a waste of a 1st overall draft pick. If we'd passed on Ocho-Stinko and drafted Peppers like we should have we'd have started out on a brilliant note. Instead we got Bob McNair's long-lost wanna-be son and dream-face of the franchise.You are totally incorrect in most of your points and come across as a Carr basher rather than stating facts. I am not going to get caught up in another David Carr thread but DC threw for quite a few yards. I agree he did not turn out well and a lot was his fault but most sacks were not his fault. Most of the sacks you refer to as sacking himself was holding the ball trying to make something happen. That should have been coached out of him. Looking back at Peppers over Carr is real easy now.

Double Barrel
05-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I like ya' badboy and don't wish for another HWWNBN debate, but let's look at Herv's statements:

"Couldn't read a defense to save his life." TRUE - As confirmed by his tenure with multiple teams

"Couldn't hit a moving target consistently." TRUE - key word: consistently

"Refused to put the time in to become a student of the game." TRUE - confirmed by his own admission

"Carr was a waste of a 1st overall draft pick." TRUE - this is obvious when he's considered a bust

As far as his sacks, I think it was a former Texans OL (McKinney?) that said a solid third of HWWNBN's sacks were self-induced because he lacked pocket presence and did not know when to get rid of the ball. You even support this with your statement "Most of the sacks you refer to as sacking himself was holding the ball trying to make something happen." How is this the line's fault?

As far as being a "Carr basher", even his most loyal supporters from back in the day would be considered "bashers" today. Hindsight being 20/20, nobody is wearing those rose-colored glasses anymore.

GuerillaBlack
05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I like ya' badboy and don't wish for another HWWNBN debate, but let's look at Herv's statements:

"Couldn't read a defense to save his life." TRUE - As confirmed by his tenure with multiple teams

"Couldn't hit a moving target consistently." TRUE - key word: consistently

"Refused to put the time in to become a student of the game." TRUE - confirmed by his own admission

"Carr was a waste of a 1st overall draft pick." TRUE - this is obvious when he's considered a bust

As far as his sacks, I think it was a former Texans OL (McKinney?) that said a solid third of HWWNBN's sacks were self-induced because he lacked pocket presence and did not know when to get rid of the ball. You even support this with your statement "Most of the sacks you refer to as sacking himself was holding the ball trying to make something happen." How is this the line's fault?

As far as being a "Carr basher", even his most loyal supporters from back in the day would be considered "bashers" today. Hindsight being 20/20, nobody is wearing those rose-colored glasses anymore.

Yep. If we could put the brain of our current QB into our former QB, then you'd have one sick QB. Carr had the measurables. He had a good arm, was durable, and had speed. Carr just lacked the smarts and will to be a competent NFL QB.

infantrycak
05-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm just curious but do you not think that the best cornerback in the league should be the highest paid cornerback in the league? Now I don't know if there is a truly definitive way of saying that Revis, or Aso, or somebody else is THE BEST CORNERBACK IN THE LEAGUE (TM) but I think that to the extent that we can determine who that is Aso is a big part of the discussion.

Had he said "highest paid player in the league" I'd be right there with you and talking about "this fool". Highest paid cornerback in the league however isn't too terribly unrealistic for this player. He actually has a better than usual (for a highly sought after free agent) chance of delivering on that high salary I think.

Yes Aso should be paid as the best CB in the league even if there is a debate about Revis simply because Aso will get his contract later and contracts always grow. But here is where things should get sane. Revis is making $11.5 mil per year. I totally want the Texans to go after Aso with $12.5 or $13.5. But he just walked away from $17 mil. If he did that and understood he was going to get a long term contract at a lower annual great. Drive hard to get him. If he did that to get more than $17 mil then let some other team destroy their cap (because I believe there will be one eventually).

You are totally incorrect in most of your points and come across as a Carr basher rather than stating facts. I am not going to get caught up in another David Carr thread but DC threw for quite a few yards. I agree he did not turn out well and a lot was his fault but most sacks were not his fault. Most of the sacks you refer to as sacking himself was holding the ball trying to make something happen. That should have been coached out of him. Looking back at Peppers over Carr is real easy now.

No he is not. Sure most sacks weren't his fault but too many were. Running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage is not "trying to make something happen." It is friggin' stupid and he was so uncoachable he never would stop doing it. You're outside the tackle box you dummy, throw the ball away and keep the yardage. He clearly couldn't read a defense. He was virtually blind to the field in between the hashmarks. Look at his last year hear five years in - 442 attempts and only 46 to the middle of the field and most of those RB dumps. Quite a few yards? - how long has it been since 2767 yds was top half of the league? I won't opine on hitting a moving target consistently. At short range sure. At long range I will contrast. People complain about Schaub underthrowing long balls but you know what they are catchable. HWWNBN often threw the ball 4 yards past some of the faster WR's around, i.e. threw a completely uncatchable ball.

beerlover
05-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes Aso should be paid as the best CB in the league even if there is a debate about Revis simply because Aso will get his contract later and contracts always grow. But here is where things should get sane. Revis is making $11.5 mil per year. I totally want the Texans to go after Aso with $12.5 or $13.5. But he just walked away from $17 mil. If he did that and understood he was going to get a long term contract at a lower annual great. Drive hard to get him. If he did that to get more than $17 mil then let some other team destroy their cap (because I believe there will be one eventually).

I wouldn't quibble giving ASO 20 per 5 if a 100 mil gets it done. In comparison to HWMNBN in current market place, inflation & demand. Aso can be justified like a franchise QB especially on this team. Even at this inflated price compared to HWMNBN both known & unknown return is vastly superior.

infantrycak
05-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't quibble giving ASO 20 per 5 if a 100 mil gets it done. In comparison to HWMNBN in current market place, inflation & demand. Aso can be justified like a franchise QB especially on this team. Even at this inflated price compared to HWMNBN both known & unknown return is vastly superior.

First off no he cannot be justified like a franchise QB. The '90's Cowboys won championships without Deion Sanders who I think is the greatest CB to play, but they didn't win any without Troy Aikman.

How about in comparison to the greatest WR in the game? Seriously this throw any amount of money at one guy stuff isn't thinking it through. You think AJ blows out another 1600 yard season he isn't going to look across and say "umm time for me not to make one third of that guy?" Plus I just think it is foolish to not prefer two $10 mil players to one $20 mil player not named Peyton in his prime.

beerlover
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
First off no he cannot be justified like a franchise QB. The '90's Cowboys won championships without Deion Sanders who I think is the greatest CB to play, but they didn't win any without Troy Aikman.

How about in comparison to the greatest WR in the game? Seriously this throw any amount of money at one guy stuff isn't thinking it through. You think AJ blows out another 1600 yard season he isn't going to look across and say "umm time for me not to make one third of that guy?" Plus I just think it is foolish to not prefer two $10 mil players to one $20 mil player not named Peyton in his prime.

Point being this is what Texans threw @ an unproven franchise QB prospect coming out of Fresno State. Then Extended him another contract that must have cost Texans 20 mil for one crappy season & you don't think ASO is not worth a similar number because of position?

HoustonFrog
05-19-2011, 12:29 PM
You are totally incorrect in most of your points and come across as a Carr basher rather than stating facts. I am not going to get caught up in another David Carr thread but DC threw for quite a few yards. I agree he did not turn out well and a lot was his fault but most sacks were not his fault. Most of the sacks you refer to as sacking himself was holding the ball trying to make something happen. That should have been coached out of him. Looking back at Peppers over Carr is real easy now.

You're kidding. I'll write this about Carr and leave it be..he didn't know how to throw a ball away and he stared down receivers. No coaching was changing that because the guy spent minimal time looking at film and getting better. He is a 9-5 NFL QB. I'd say half the sacks were his fault because he couldn't feel pressure and ran into sacks.

Mr teX
05-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Lol at it being "simple" & "making" somebody believe something... by the end of the week he'll go visit a team with an actual established track record of winning, offering the same money & forget all about your pitch..i.e. there's nothing that we as a city, football franchise or anything else that can set us apart from other teams, except for money................maybe.

The saints, Jets & Falcons situations are completely different from ours now for various reasons.

awtysst
05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
LOL..RJ source

And why would he want to come here? He has been stuck in the Black Hole his whole career. He wants to play for a perennial contender not some team that has NEVER even made the playoffs. Unless we offer him ridiculous money like $100 million guaranteed, he isn't coming here.

False Start
05-19-2011, 02:11 PM
IMO, hes just not coming here, so I wont even get my hopes up. My bet is on The Eagles, or Atlanta.

infantrycak
05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Point being this is what Texans threw @ an unproven franchise QB prospect coming out of Fresno State. Then Extended him another contract that must have cost Texans 20 mil for one crappy season & you don't think ASO is not worth a similar number because of position?

You're just pulling stuff out of an orifice now. HWWNBN was on a contract that maxed out at a potential average of $8.5 mil including lots of incentives he never received. Ain't been that much inflation. In fact it would be about $10.5 mil. And he wasn't given a new contract. He played his entire time here under his original seven year contract. He played enough to void out the last three years unless the Texans exercised a built in buy back bonus which was part of the potential $60. So not a similar number so the question makes no sense. And no I do not think Aso is worth $20 mil when Revis is making $11.5.

beerlover
05-19-2011, 02:40 PM
IMO, hes just not coming here, so I wont even get my hopes up. My bet is on The Eagles, or Atlanta.

I'm unyielding for a change. Can't explain it & I have no intentions of swaying public opinion. It's not buisness as usual & of course there is this lock-out. If Wade says ASO is the key to revamping secondary with so many scheme & position changes & with so little time to implement, that's just the most sure fast track answer.

Dutchrudder
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Lol at it being "simple" & "making" somebody believe something... by the end of the week he'll go visit a team with an actual established track record of winning, offering the same money & forget all about your pitch..i.e. there's nothing that we as a city, football franchise or anything else that can set us apart from other teams, except for money................maybe.

The saints, Jets & Falcons situations are completely different from ours now for various reasons.

Maybe we could pitch him the challenge of fixing the worst pass defense in NFL history? Tell him to rise to the occasion or something. I'm sure Rick Smith can find a way to spin it into a good idea...:cow:

Mr teX
05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe we could pitch him the challenge of fixing the worst pass defense in NFL history? Tell him to rise to the occasion or something. I'm sure Rick Smith can find a way to spin it into a good idea...:cow:

I see no reason to believe he's got some urge to "rise to the occasion" or that he's looking to increase his stardom profile. He has nothing to prove, he's been one of, if not the outright best cb in the league for a number of years now. He knows it & every team in the nfl knows it.

A couple of things are certain based on the fact that he walked away from 17 million:

1, whichever team does land him he won't come cheap.

2, you're going to have to show him that you're ready to win now...nothing drives that home better than a winning track record / recent playoff appearance...........neither of which the texans have.

Its just not going to happen..

KA4Texan
05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
We could also promise him free pass on the worlds stupidest "mass transit" system........... how many cities can offer that?

Or just bite the bullet and promise to keep filling up his gas tank, that's worth more than a several million dollar contract by todays prices.

Plus it would be easier to hide the cap hit....:thinking:

Allstar
05-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I see no reason to believe he's got some urge to "rise to the occasion" or that he's looking to increase his stardom profile. He has nothing to prove, he's been one of, if not the outright best cb in the league for a number of years now. He knows it & every team in the nfl knows it.

A couple of things are certain based on the fact that he walked away from 17 million:

1, whichever team does land him he won't come cheap.

2, you're going to have to show him that you're ready to win now...nothing drives that home better than a winning track record / recent playoff appearance...........neither of which the texans have.

Its just not going to happen..
I don't think he had a choice. His contract was voided.

Kulluminatii
05-19-2011, 10:55 PM

Yup, I want to say its all part of Al Davis' master plan to resign Aso for more $ than any other team but less than he was going to make on his previous contract. But let's face it, we are talking about Al ****ing Davis. :brickwall:

infantrycak
05-20-2011, 10:36 AM

No, he had an option clause to void it. He didn't have to exercise it.

Hervoyel
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
All his walking away from 17 million tells me is that he's not entirely focused on the money. It's entirely possible and I think even likely that he would refuse to return to the Raiders at any price.

That he will be a very expensive free agent is I believe a given. I don't think that this absolutely translates into "He must have more than $17 million dollars".

Texecutioner
05-20-2011, 11:55 AM

This theory is proven wrong every off season, and it's nothing but a loser's mentality. We can't get free agents because we aren't proven winners with a track record of multiple playoff seasons or just coming off of one?? Yeah, well tell that to Rex Ryan who waltzed right into the NY Jets franchise when they were down and started pulling in quality free agents right away and then in the next off season went bananas at bringing in guys like Cromartie, LT, Taylor, and Holmes. Nothing stopped Rex Ryan because he "sold" players around the league on what he was about to build and players believed in it and they fed off of his confidence.

Take the Saints who were a team just like the Texans in the off season before the SB and they landed Jonathan Vilma and Sharper. The Saints had been a great offense with a lousy defense and their management made those players believe that they were the pieces to build that effective defense with.

The Falcons had no problems landing Tony Gonzales. They weren't some proven winner. They were just a team that came off like 9-7 season after Ryan's 2nd year and one playoff season two years before that, but Gonzales believed in what they were doing.

I could go on and on with examples of players who go to teams that aren't big time elite teams when they signed there. You talk as if it's some "unwritten rule" that players go by to where they'll only go to proven winners. Any player will tell you that the majority of the time that players will go after the money. Going to a winner is always a plus, but it's a coach and a GM's job to sell people on the idea that they're about to be big time winners by adding them.

They weren't any different at all considering the fact that every one of them has had horrible down years in the NFL since Kubiak and company got here and all of these teams have added new regimes at one point that were successful in bringing in high quality players after down years. If their situations are any different "now" it's because they did things to make them different and they didn't believe in any theories about players around the league not wanting to come there and not believing in what they were building and they were all right obviously.

beerlover
05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
This theory is proven wrong every off season, and it's nothing but a loser's mentality. We can't get free agents because we aren't proven winners with a track record of multiple playoff seasons or just coming off of one?? Yeah, well tell that to Rex Ryan who waltzed right into the NY Jets franchise when they were down and started pulling in quality free agents right away and then in the next off season went bananas at bringing in guys like Cromartie, LT, Taylor, and Holmes. Nothing stopped Rex Ryan because he "sold" players around the league on what he was about to build and players believed in it and they fed off of his confidence.

Take the Saints who were a team just like the Texans in the off season before the SB and they landed Jonathan Vilma and Sharper. The Saints had been a great offense with a lousy defense and their management made those players believe that they were the pieces to build that effective defense with.

The Falcons had no problems landing Tony Gonzales. They weren't some proven winner. They were just a team that came off like 9-7 season after Ryan's 2nd year and one playoff season two years before that, but Gonzales believed in what they were doing.

I could go on and on with examples of players who go to teams that aren't big time elite teams when they signed there. You talk as if it's some "unwritten rule" that players go by to where they'll only go to proven winners. Any player will tell you that the majority of the time that players will go after the money. Going to a winner is always a plus, but it's a coach and a GM's job to sell people on the idea that they're about to be big time winners by adding them.

They weren't any different at all considering the fact that every one of them has had horrible down years in the NFL since Kubiak and company got here and all of these teams have added new regimes at one point that were successful in bringing in high quality players after down years. If their situations are any different "now" it's because they did things to make them different and they didn't believe in any theories about players around the league not wanting to come there and not believing in what they were building and they were all right obviously.

I feel this is really one of your best posts, one I agree with 100%. :handshake:

Mr teX
05-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Both of us could go on & on, doesn't mean either of us is completely right or completely wrong as there are tons of examples both ways. But imo us signing Aso & these other teams' signing are apples & oranges. You can't look at this stuff in a vacuum...

Bart Scott & the FS Ryan brought over from Baltimore had already played under him...They knew the system, he had a leg up over everyone else signing those guys mainly b/c of that. Scott in particular was looking to get from under Lewis' shadow..what better way to do that than to go play for a coach who's defense you already know & could be a star in? I'll give you Cromartie, but LT & Taylor were "quality" FA's only in name at that point, especially Taylor. Neither was expected to be a full time guys & both were/are over the hill, looking for 1 last crack at it. Holmes faced a 4 game suspension for any team that took him on (which scared many teams off) & the steelers had pretty much had it with him & were looking to dump him for whatever they could...Edwards was pretty much in the same boat but he's garbage anyway so... Then you have the city of NY that essentially sells itself. Ryan didn't have to do much of anything for most of these guys & in some cases had an actual advantage over the field. What exactly do we as a franchise have an advantage over the field to sell to Aso that other teams don't also have?

The Saints took a gamble on Brees when noone else really wanted to...They got lucky & it paid off. Vilma was a quality signing but once again guys long in the tooth like sharper were only quality in name at that point..noone in the league pegged sharper as a guy that would come in and make the difference like he did that year; Besides, Greg Williams & his defensive philosophy made more of a difference; more so than any FA player they ever signed.

Gonzalez is another 1 of these guys that was looking for 1 last hurrah & only a quality FA signings/trades in name at that point really. As far as their other FA signings, i don't think you could call the signing of Turner a quality FA signing....at least not then. Remember, at the time he was a back-up rb that had had a few flashes here & there spelling LT. That had as much potential to back fire as it did for him to turn out the way he did. Call it what it was, a calculated gamble that paid off for them. As for others, we all know how folks here feel about d-rob so i won't even go there.

Regardless of the teams success, none of these "quality" FA's that these teams signed are/were of the caliber at their positions that Aso is at this moment. A bonafide cream of the crop guy at his position, IN HIS PRIME. That makes a huge difference. What's more is that we have no built in inherent advantage over any other team to sign him, & realistically put yourself in his shoes, why would you sign here if you were him? It's pretty much up there with us having a shot at signing Peyton Manning. Sure, he's a FA in 2011, but does anyone really think that any other team besides Indy have a shot at signing this dude? Nope.

You can call it a loser's mentality, or think that i'm speaking in absolutes & im not. i'm simply being realistic..besides, we can sign other quality FA's, it's not Aso or bust. We stand a better chance at landing a Jonathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie, a Brent Grimes or even Ike Taylor. I'm not going to be upset if they go after him, but i'm not holding my breath thinking he's going to sign here either & i certainly don't want the texans putting all their eggs in the Aso basket, while other teams are getting the jump on signing these other guys.

badboy
05-21-2011, 09:40 PM
All his walking away from 17 million tells me is that he's not entirely focused on the money. It's entirely possible and I think even likely that he would refuse to return to the Raiders at any price.

That he will be a very expensive free agent is I believe a given. I don't think that this absolutely translates into "He must have more than $17 million dollars".A $25 million upfront bonus plus say $10m first year gets that $17m back before he plays a game + another $18m by end of season. He will be paid by someone.

Lucky
05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
All his walking away from 17 million tells me is that he's not entirely focused on the money.
Herv, Asomugha's contract voided. It's not as if he could reverse the contract. The Raiders put that void in the contract to protect them from paying the $17 million. I think Nnamdi would have been happy to collect that $17 mil from the Raiders, but he will be okay getting it from another source. Bottom line, he'll get paid.

ArlingtonTexan
05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
I feel this is really one of your best posts, one I agree with 100%. :handshake:

It would be really good if at least 50% of his examples weren't players who were traded traded versus FA signings, but who cares about the details.

houstonspartan
05-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Both of us could go on & on, doesn't mean either of us is completely right or completely wrong as there are tons of examples both ways. But imo us signing Aso & these other teams' signing are apples & oranges. You can't look at this stuff in a vacuum...

Bart Scott & the FS Ryan brought over from Baltimore had already played under him...They knew the system, he had a leg up over everyone else signing those guys mainly b/c of that. Scott in particular was looking to get from under Lewis' shadow..what better way to do that than to go play for a coach who's defense you already know & could be a star in? I'll give you Cromartie, but LT & Taylor were "quality" FA's only in name at that point, especially Taylor. Neither was expected to be a full time guys & both were/are over the hill, looking for 1 last crack at it. Holmes faced a 4 game suspension for any team that took him on (which scared many teams off) & the steelers had pretty much had it with him & were looking to dump him for whatever they could...Edwards was pretty much in the same boat but he's garbage anyway so... Then you have the city of NY that essentially sells itself. Ryan didn't have to do much of anything for most of these guys & in some cases had an actual advantage over the field. What exactly do we as a franchise have an advantage over the field to sell to Aso that other teams don't also have?

The Saints took a gamble on Brees when noone else really wanted to...They got lucky & it paid off. Vilma was a quality signing but once again guys long in the tooth like sharper were only quality in name at that point..noone in the league pegged sharper as a guy that would come in and make the difference like he did that year; Besides, Greg Williams & his defensive philosophy made more of a difference; more so than any FA player they ever signed.

Gonzalez is another 1 of these guys that was looking for 1 last hurrah & only a quality FA signings/trades in name at that point really. As far as their other FA signings, i don't think you could call the signing of Turner a quality FA signing....at least not then. Remember, at the time he was a back-up rb that had had a few flashes here & there spelling LT. That had as much potential to back fire as it did for him to turn out the way he did. Call it what it was, a calculated gamble that paid off for them. As for others, we all know how folks here feel about d-rob so i won't even go there.

Regardless of the teams success, none of these "quality" FA's that these teams signed are/were of the caliber at their positions that Aso is at this moment. A bonafide cream of the crop guy at his position, IN HIS PRIME. That makes a huge difference. What's more is that we have no built in inherent advantage over any other team to sign him, & realistically put yourself in his shoes, why would you sign here if you were him? It's pretty much up there with us having a shot at signing Peyton Manning. Sure, he's a FA in 2011, but does anyone really think that any other team besides Indy have a shot at signing this dude? Nope.

You can call it a loser's mentality, or think that i'm speaking in absolutes & im not. i'm simply being realistic..besides, we can sign other quality FA's, it's not Aso or bust. We stand a better chance at landing a Jonathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie, a Brent Grimes or even Ike Taylor. I'm not going to be upset if they go after him, but i'm not holding my breath thinking he's going to sign here either & i certainly don't want the texans putting all their eggs in the Aso basket, while other teams are getting the jump on signing these other guys.

Yes, that is a losers mentality. It reminds people who say "Bill Cowher will never come here!" Or "X player would never come here!"

Total loser talk.

So, if Aso goes to the Bucs, as is the latest rumor, how will you explain that? How could a small market team with a brand new coach get a top free agent, if it happens?

houstonspartan
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Agree. Rex Ryan can have any player he wants.

Also, guess who else is about to become one of those coaches that's able to pull free agents? Jim Schwartz. Yes, Jim Schwartz is able to convince free agents to move to DETROIT. Trust me, Detroit is not a tourist destination. Yet, I bet money they will be in the mix over the next few years for major free agents because of the program their building.

Think about that for a minute. Detriot.

HJam72
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Agree. Rex Ryan can have any player he wants.

Also, guess who else is about to become one of those coaches that's able to pull free agents? Jim Schwartz. Yes, Jim Schwartz is able to convince free agents to move to DETROIT. Trust me, Detroit is not a tourist destination. Yet, I bet money they will be in the mix over the next few years for major free agents because of the program their building.

Think about that for a minute. Detriot.

Yeah, cuz they can buy their houses really cheap there. :hurrah:

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that voided the deal if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. If the escalators were tied to interceptions, tackles, and/or pass breakups, the Raiders simply blew it. Asomugha doesn't rack up stats because no one is dumb enough to throw at him. Asomugha is also ineligible for the franchise tag. Once free agency hits, the 29-year-old will be the top defensive player on the market.link (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40989150/ns/sports-player_news/)

There was a clause within that same contract that specifically stated that he could not be franchised.

steelbtexan
05-22-2011, 02:32 PM
If Detroit passes up Houston in rebuilding, then BoB = Brown.

Allstar
05-22-2011, 04:25 PM

Are you sure? Seems odd that Nnamdi would have the option to void his contract because he underperformed.

Lucky
05-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Are you sure? Seems odd that Nnamdi would have the option to void his contract because he underperformed.
Asomugha's contract voided because he failed to meet performances clauses. There was no option at that point for the team or the player. Had Asomugha met one of the performance clauses (one interception, one sack, one fumble recovery, or more plays in 2010 than 2009), he would have been paid $16.8 million or the average of the top 5 QBs (whichever was higher). Still, the Raiders could have cut Asomugha outright and not paid the $16.8 million (as they were reportedly ready to do). Anyway you cut it, Asomugha was going to hit the free agent market.

Allstar
05-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Asomugha's contract voided because he failed to meet performances clauses. There was no option at that point for the team or the player. Had Asomugha met one of the performance clauses (one interception, one sack, one fumble recovery, or more plays in 2010 than 2009), he would have been paid $16.8 million or the average of the top 5 QBs (whichever was higher). Still, the Raiders could have cut Asomugha outright and not paid the $16.8 million (as they were reportedly ready to do). Anyway you cut it, Asomugha was going to hit the free agent market.

That's what I thought. So it's not Like Aso was unhappy with the money he was making. Still expect him to use that as a starting point in negotiations anyways.

badboy
05-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Herv, Asomugha's contract voided. It's not as if he could reverse the contract. The Raiders put that void in the contract to protect them from paying the $17 million. I think Nnamdi would have been happy to collect that $17 mil from the Raiders, but he will be okay getting it from another source. Bottom line, he'll get paid.I read that ASO's agent put the clause in the contract & it caught management by surprise. It was based on a percentage of plays or productivity that Oakland assumed he would hit. A brilliant moved by agent. This happened to another NFL player this season but I can't remember who it was.

badboy
05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes, that is a losers mentality. It reminds people who say "Bill Cowher will never come here!" Or "X player would never come here!"

Total loser talk.

So, if Aso goes to the Bucs, as is the latest rumor, how will you explain that? How could a small market team with a brand new coach get a top free agent, if it happens?I will be furious if Texans allow TB to get Asomugha. No way should this player want to play there over Houston.

badboy
05-22-2011, 10:12 PM
link (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40989150/ns/sports-player_news/)

There was a clause within that same contract that specifically stated that he could not be franchised.There you go thanks CND for link.

Lucky
05-23-2011, 12:50 AM
I read that ASO's agent put the clause in the contract & it caught management by surprise. It was based on a percentage of plays or productivity that Oakland assumed he would hit. A brilliant moved by agent. This happened to another NFL player this season but I can't remember who it was.
I'd like to read where this agent takes credit for this clause. I'm not seeing how missing out on a $16.8 million salary can be described as a "brilliant move".

It's pretty clear that the Raiders put this in the contract to protect themselves from an Asomugha injury. Teams can't cut injured players without reaching injury settlements. You have to think that a All Pro CB would come up with either an interception, sack, or fumble recovery over the course of a season. Unless he incurred a serious injury. Nnamdi did miss a couple of games with an ankle sprain, but it was a fluke that he didn't reach the performance goals set.

houstonspartan
05-23-2011, 12:53 AM
I will be furious if Texans allow TB to get Asomugha. No way should this player want to play there over Houston.

I heard that Raheem Morris has a really amazing personality and presence. I have a source who was at an event with him and met him and was stunned when they met him. Apparently, the guy has the "it" factor that wins people over.

That alone is quite a bit to convince a free agent to sign there...

False Start
05-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Heard on 610 Dre is recruiting Aso! Get it done Dre!

infantrycak
05-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I'd like to read where this agent takes credit for this clause. I'm not seeing how missing out on a $16.8 million salary can be described as a "brilliant move".

It's pretty clear that the Raiders put this in the contract to protect themselves from an Asomugha injury. Teams can't cut injured players without reaching injury settlements. You have to think that a All Pro CB would come up with either an interception, sack, or fumble recovery over the course of a season. Unless he incurred a serious injury. Nnamdi did miss a couple of games with an ankle sprain, but it was a fluke that he didn't reach the performance goals set.

I'm not sure what point you are making. There were a bunch of clauses which would have made the contract unvoidable including number of snaps. In any event, If Nnamdi wanted to play for Oakland he could just say I waive that clause and play for $17 mil next year if Oakland wanted him which I have seen nothing indicating they do not. Apparently he doesn't want to do so.

HTown2ATX
05-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Yup heard that too. I knew they were friends long ago and before that was even said today on the radio.....I already assumed that Dre was talking to him. But it was nice to hear that confirmed today.

drs23
05-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Yup heard that too. I knew they were friends long ago and before that was even said today on the radio.....I already assumed that Dre was talking to him. But it was nice to hear that confirmed today.

I think if it can be done 'Dre will be the man that gets him here. That would be so killer!

TexansSeminole
05-23-2011, 11:38 AM

NFL.com reporting it as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ff79a9/article/texans-wr-johnson-recruits-free-agent-asomugha-to-texans

If your the best cornerback in the league and the best wide receiver in the league wants you on his team, wouldn't you be excited about that?

If we get Aso, it changes everything IMO.

houstonspartan
05-23-2011, 12:39 PM
NFL.com reporting it as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ff79a9/article/texans-wr-johnson-recruits-free-agent-asomugha-to-texans

If your the best cornerback in the league and the best wide receiver in the league wants you on his team, wouldn't you be excited about that?

If we get Aso, it changes everything IMO.

Interesting. Well, if Dre is recruiting him, then that could possibly be a good sign. We will have to wait and see.

Also, if Dre is recruiting him, it could also be a sign to McNair that he needs to open the checkbook. Dre wouldn't tell McNair to do so, because it's not in his nature. But McNair respects Dre and could take a cue from him and go after this guy. Just a thought.

Texecutioner
05-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Interesting. Well, if Dre is recruiting him, then that could possibly be a good sign. We will have to wait and see.

Also, if Dre is recruiting him, it could also be a sign to McNair that he needs to open the checkbook. Dre wouldn't tell McNair to do so, because it's not in his nature. But McNair respects Dre and could take a cue from him and go after this guy. Just a thought.

Dre can recruit him all he wants, but that's not going to make Bob spend the kind of money Aso will demand nor will it put a fire under Smithiak to actually do what it takes to recruit the guy here and to sell him on this franchise for the future. I've seen nothing from our owner or management here to think that this has any higher chance of happening just because AJ is trying to help get him here. There are players on every team that are trying to help recruit Aso to their defense.

TexansSeminole
05-23-2011, 12:51 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The two are similar in age and both at the top of their game.

HTown2ATX
05-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Dre can recruit him all he wants, but that's not going to make Bob spend the kind of money Aso will demand nor will it put a fire under Smithiak to actually do what it takes to recruit the guy here and to sell him on this franchise for the future. I've seen nothing from our owner or management here to think that this has any higher chance of happening just because AJ is trying to help get him here. There are players on every team that are trying to help recruit Aso to their defense.

Dead on man.

This is my fear.

Then we'll get the usual BS lipservice on how they "tried" and we "don't know what efforts they made behind closed doors"....

Texecutioner
05-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Dead on man.

This is my fear.

Then we'll get the usual BS lipservice on how they "tried" and we "don't know what efforts they made behind closed doors"....

The "we don't know" spin is always the funniest one.

Tried to rep ya, but it wouldn't let me.

HJam72
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey, we don't know what efforts they're making behind closed doors. :hurrah:

HTown2ATX
05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey, we don't know what efforts they're making behind closed doors. :hurrah:

LOL

The only thing we don't know is what Kubiak has on McNair that kept his job....

(starting to get pissed off again about last year....must leave thread....FAIL)

Rey
05-23-2011, 05:02 PM
The fact that it's being reported that Dre is recruiting Aso is a good thing.

When a national outlet reports something like that about the Texans, it means that it's serious.

Sure there may be lots of other guys that talk to Aso about coming to help their defense, but maybe they aren't pushing as hard as Dre is because I haven't seen a bunch of reports about guys from other teams recruiting him.

infantrycak
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Dead on man.

This is my fear.

The "we don't know" spin is always the funniest one.

Tried to rep ya, but it wouldn't let me.

Not to distract you while y'all play massage my rod but do you seriously believe fans find out about every move the Texans attempt?

False Start
05-23-2011, 06:04 PM

He (Bob) better listen, Dre may be wanting out after this season, if the Texans don't make the playoffs. :shades:

gary
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
He (Bob) better listen, Dre may be wanting out after this season, if the Texans don't make the playoffs. :shades:I hope not but I would not be surprised.

Lucky
05-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure what point you are making. There were a bunch of clauses which would have made the contract unvoidable including number of snaps. In any event, If Nnamdi wanted to play for Oakland he could just say I waive that clause and play for $17 mil next year if Oakland wanted him which I have seen nothing indicating they do not. Apparently he doesn't want to do so.
My point is that neither Asomugha nor the Raiders had the option of waiving the clause. That's how it has been described in everything reported that I've seen. If you've seen something different, I would like to see it.

Allstar
05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
My point is that neither Asomugha nor the Raiders had the option of waiving the clause. That's how it has been described in everything reported that I've seen. If you've seen something different, I would like to see it.

That's how I understood it as well. It wouldn't make sense for Aso to say "If I don't get a sack, a fumble recovery, an Int, and I play less than last year, I get the option to turn down all this money."

badboy
05-24-2011, 12:53 AM

It's pretty clear that the Raiders put this in the contract to protect themselves from an Asomugha injury. Teams can't cut injured players without reaching injury settlements. You have to think that a All Pro CB would come up with either an interception, sack, or fumble recovery over the course of a season. Unless he incurred a serious injury. Nnamdi did miss a couple of games with an ankle sprain, but it was a fluke that he didn't reach the performance goals set.Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract voids, heading to free agency
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 9, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
If you thought firing Tom Cable annoyed Raiders fans, wait until they hear about this.

Adam Schefter of ESPN dropped a bombshell Sunday morning: Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract has voided because of a previously unknown option in his contract. Asomugha is headed for free agency.

Even the Raiders appear surprised by the development. They had a team option to keep Asomugha for the 2012 season at $16.8 million or the quarterback franchise tag number, whichever was higher. But Asomugha had a “little known” clause that said his deal would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010.

Link :http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/nnamdi-asomughas-contract-voids-heading-to-free-agency/
Link:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943
Include audio by originating analyst from ESPN.

Honestly, you do not see putting a CB in his PRIME into free agency where he is far and above his closest competitor? He can double if not more the $17m he gave up with upfront bonus money & first year salary in a new contract.

badboy
05-24-2011, 01:09 AM
That's how I understood it as well. It wouldn't make sense for Aso to say "If I don't get a sack, a fumble recovery, an Int, and I play less than last year, I get the option to turn down all this money."QBs do NOT throw to receivers covered by Aso. In last 4 years he has had only 1 INT a SEASON. In 2003, 04,05 and last year he had zero INTS. His only "good" year was 8 INTS in 2006. To my knowledge, he never had a fumble recovery or a sack. That is not what he does. WHy is it hard to understand he might not get one in 2010?

link:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4489

Allstar
05-24-2011, 03:22 AM
QBs do NOT throw to receivers covered by Aso. In last 4 years he has had only 1 INT a SEASON. In 2003, 04,05 and last year he had zero INTS. His only "good" year was 8 INTS in 2006. To my knowledge, he never had a fumble recovery or a sack. That is not what he does. WHy is it hard to understand he might not get one in 2010?

link:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4489

I think you missed the point., I said that it made no sense that he had an option to opt out if he didn't reach those strange incentives. He didn't have an option, it just happened if he didn't meet the requirements. So it's not like he decided to be a free agent this year.

With all that said, I don't agree with you. I'd say it was very, very unlikely that he would fail to get a single INT, sack, fumble recovery or play less than the year before. He's a top defender in this game, it is a rare occurrence that one of those things did not happen.

Lucky
05-24-2011, 06:19 AM
To my knowledge, he never had a fumble recovery or a sack. That is not what he does. WHy is it hard to understand he might not get one in 2010?
Previous to 2010, Asomugha (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AsomNn20.htm) had only one season (2005) out of seven where he didn't collect either a int, a sack, or a fumble recovery.

infantrycak
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM

I haven't seen it reported either but truth is any contract clause can be waived. It really is as simple as:

I waive paragraph 7.1 of the contract dated August 7, 2005.

Signed,

Lucky

He doesn't want to do so.

steelbtexan
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Not to distract you while y'all play massage my rod but do you seriously believe fans find out about every move the Texans attempt?

No we dont know,

But what we do know based on BoB's history is that if the title of this thread is true, ASO wont be a Texan next yr.

Of course BoB, Gary, Rick will spin it to make te team look like they gave it their all. The MB will come up with all kinds of excuses and the Texans will miss the playoffs again. Wash, rinse and repeat. SOS

It's probably a good thing the fans dont know what goes on behind closed doors. If they did BoB would probably be looked at in a different light.

Texecutioner
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Yeah, if it's for a major player like Aso absolutely I do. We've been over this and I know that it's your favorite excuse to give your precious Texans every other year when they fail to make any big splashes that would help the team, but when big time players go to other teams it's usually not a secret about what teams made plays at the player and how active they were in trying to get him even if they aren't the team that signs him. Sure, if it's just a phone call that might not be reported anywhere, but just a phone call doesn't get players signed. If you're not recruiting then you're really not that interested. It's a reason why the Texans are never even hardly thought of when it comes to big players around the league either being traded or being in a situation where there teams might let them go. That reason is because they're known as a team that builds through the draft mainly. It's also a reason why teams like the Eagles, Pats, and the Cowboys are always mentioned as potential players when it comes to certain guys on the open market, because those teams are more frequently signing free agents or are out there competing to get guys every off season and have a management team that is always moving and shaking. We don't make the playoffs ever and have all these disappointing seasons, but yet nothing ever seems to change in how this organization operates, so there is no reason to continue this little game of "well we don't know" just for the sake of trying to make ourselves feel better about the Texans. It's a form of denial is what it boils down to.

HTown2ATX
05-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Due to the track record of little to no big name free agents being landed here speaks volumes on just how valid the whole "we tried" excuse by the FO is.

Add that to the fact that the FO and HC staff including the GM frequently make statements on how we will win "with what we have" (which was stated how many times last year while Kareem Jackson was falling all over the field and letting no namers like Ajiritoutou (sp?)for SD burn us up for career days and everyone was screaming for change while we still had a prayer of correcting things and actually not being futile last year) you can obviously see that not all the stops are being pulled for big name FA's.

You can't tell me Houston is so bad that no big names ever want to come here.....we're not a 1-15 city. It's obvious that we're just a player or 2 (and HC IMO) away from being serious winners....yet NO FA's that are big time land here.....really? :thinking:

Hervoyel
05-24-2011, 10:40 AM

No, of course not. Niether do I believe that the Texans actually attempted every move they try to tell the fans they tried.

The only thing I'm certain of is that nobody knows exactly what they're doing except the people inside, directly involved in the process. Still, when you've watched a team for decades you start to get a feel for where the bullshit is. We've got just at the edge of ten years I think with the Texans so our sample size is getting big enough to start making more educated guesses.

My guess is that there's a lot of bullshit behind those closed doors.

infantrycak
05-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah, if it's for a major player like Aso absolutely I do. We've been over this and I know that it's your favorite excuse to give your precious Texans every other year when they fail to make any big splashes that would help the team, but when big time players go to other teams it's usually not a secret about what teams made plays at the player and how active they were in trying to get him even if they aren't the team that signs him. ....

Has nothing to do with the Texans. I just don't think NFL fans find out the majority of discussions. I'd bet teams attempt all sorts of moves we don't hear about. I'd bet the Rams tried to shop Steven Jackson. If Rick Smith picks up the phone and says "hey will Nnamdi entertain an offer in the $14 mil per year range" and the agent says "no we are looking for $18 mil plus" I doubt we ever hear about it unless it is a deliberate PR move to make folks like you happy. Just my opinion and applies to every team.

Allstar
05-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I should note that I'm just using logic, I don't have proof to back this up.
I haven't seen it reported either but truth is any contract clause can be waived. .

Not if the stipulation benefits the team. Just like any incentive-laden contract, if you reach the incentive, you get the benefit. In Aso's case, the benefit is keeping his job. This clause was constructed by the Raiders to protect themselves from an injury.

DBCooper
05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
You can't tell me Houston is so bad that no big names ever want to come here.....we're not a 1-15 city. It's obvious that we're just a player or 2 (and HC IMO) away from being serious winners....yet NO FA's that are big time land here.....really? :thinking:

Cmon, you don't think the 2 headed monster of Phillips and Kubiak makes one good head coach?

Texecutioner
05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Cmon, you don't think the 2 headed monster of Phillips and Kubiak makes one good head coach?

Well lets see. Here is what you're getting.

ONe soft coach who has had a problem in Houston getting players to play for 4 quarters that lack discipline and lack fire from game to game. Kubiak is an OC, and not even HC material either.

Then you have another guy who isn't HC material either in Wade who also has had the same exact problems where he lost his team in Dallas that was filled with talent and his players lacked focus and discipline there as well to an even worse degree.

To answer your question, I think it's a horrible combination. Both coaches are so soft, that they would be much better off with some strong minded disiplinarian coaches around them that could actually light that fire that this franchise has never had. The Texans Longhorns had a similar situation when Mack Brown was there who is a horrible game day coach and had all types of talent playing undisciplined, and they brought in a guy like Muschamp who was very strong minded and had a fierce personality and he changed their defense around and the team's mentality. Muschamp was a perfect compliment to Mack Brown's soft and laid back approach. Wade would be a great hire as a DC for teams that already have a strong nose HC that has his teams playing with fire all of the time that just need a better scheme and nose for talent. If we had Cowher or a guy like Coughlin or Shottenheimer who all run very tight ships and have their players focused a lot Wade would have been a great hire. But with a guy like Kubes who constantly under achieves and can't ever draw consistency for 4 quarters or for several games, these players won't respect authority.

Double Barrel
05-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Gary and Wade would make a great OC and DC for Cowher. :D [/wishful thinking]

Allstar
05-25-2011, 12:33 AM
If anyone caught Kubiak on NFL total Access, he definitely sounded like Aso was an option when he said "I'm glad Andre's got some great friends out there so let's see what happens."

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81ffefc6/Kubiak-chats-Texans-draft-Mario-Williams-and-more

Mr teX
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
No, of course not. Niether do I believe that the Texans actually attempted every move they try to tell the fans they tried.

The only thing I'm certain of is that nobody knows exactly what they're doing except the people inside, directly involved in the process. Still, when you've watched a team for decades you start to get a feel for where the bullshit is. We've got just at the edge of ten years I think with the Texans so our sample size is getting big enough to start making more educated guesses.

My guess is that there's a lot of bullshit behind those closed doors.

Good Post Herv...at the end of the day, the bolded is what it boils down to...rep you way b/c at least you admit that at the end of the day, you really don't know what's going on...You'd swear some in here work for the texans the way they talk.

DX-TEX
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
If anyone caught Kubiak on NFL total Access, he definitely sounded like Aso was an option when he said "I'm glad Andre's got some great friends out there so let's see what happens."

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81923&page=9

Said while he had a sh*t eating grin on his face. Any other coach I would take that as a good sign. Kubiak though it could mean he just sh*t himself.

El Tejano
05-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Just glad to hear Andre is trying.

HTown2ATX
05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
You know, part of me, -the still pissed off at the fuqng toilet season that was 2010 and how Kubes MIRACULOUSLY kept his job :kubepalm: AND we got good ol boy in waiting for HC (probably it seems anyway :gun: ) in Wade, -thinks that 'Dre is even pissed now and is like "Eff this, I need to do what I can or I'm out. I'm tired of wasting my time with these numbskulls. So, I'll go get us these players we need and the morons in the FO can suck it or I'm out!"

Kubes, you should pray and thank GOD everyday for the owner we have and players like Dre that keep the good times and :money: rollin in for you...

Can you say still pissed at last season.......ugh.....

:crazy:

Mr teX
05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
You know, part of me, -the still pissed off at the fuqng toilet season that was 2010 and how Kubes MIRACULOUSLY kept his job :kubepalm: AND we got good ol boy in waiting for HC (probably it seems anyway :gun: ) in Wade, -thinks that 'Dre is even pissed now and is like "Eff this, I need to do what I can or I'm out. I'm tired of wasting my time with these numbskulls. So, I'll go get us these players we need and the morons in the FO can suck it or I'm out!"

Kubes, you should pray and thank GOD everyday for the owner we have and players like Dre that keep the good times and :money: rollin in for you...

Can you say still pissed at last season.......ugh.....

:crazy:

Where is all this "dre may want out/dre is pissed" talk coming from? The guy just got his contract restructured to ensure that he'll stay happy in houston..at least for the foreseeable future & had his chance to get outta here a few years back when he originally signed his current contract...He chose to stay.

I swear, some of you guys just throw stuff out there just to throw it out there.

HTown2ATX
05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Where is all this "dre may want out/dre is pissed" talk coming from? The guy just got his contract restructured to ensure that he'll stay happy in houston..at least for the foreseeable future & had his chance to get outta here a few years back when he originally signed his current contract...He chose to stay.

I swear, some of you guys just throw stuff out there just to throw it out there.

Lol.....that part was in part jest bro about him leaving....guess I didn't pontificate that well enough to not need the :sarcasm: smilie..... But at the same time we see sports players sign new contracts and want to leave soon after all the time. I'm not saying Dre is in this mindset, but you think he is all smiles and giggles if he knows how many more years may go to waste here if this year goes south?

I'm serious about Dre taking it upon himself, in my mind anyway, to try to recruit players this bumbling FO won't get for some reason although e know "they'll try". My comments on Kubes and Wade and FO were serious too.

Mr teX
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Lol.....that part was in part jest bro about him leaving....guess I didn't pontificate that well enough to not need the :sarcasm: smilie..... But at the same time we see sports players sign new contracts and want to leave soon after all the time. I'm not saying Dre is in this mindset, but you think he is all smiles and giggles if he knows how many more years may go to waste here if this year goes south?

I'm serious about Dre taking it upon himself, in my mind anyway, to try to recruit players this bumbling FO won't get for some reason although e know "they'll try". My comments on Kubes and Wade and FO were serious too.

i kind of figured your comment about dre was being sacarstic, but someone else earlier in this said something similar...& they were being serious.

badboy
05-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Maybe this is the first opportunity that a good friend of AJ is on the market and is a super star player. Here is what is interesting to me, if Asomugha signs with us, will the ears of other good players perk up? Especially, if we have a really good year?

drs23
05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Maybe this is the first opportunity that a good friend of AJ is on the market and is a super star player. Here is what is interesting to me, if Asomugha signs with us, will the ears of other good players perk up? Especially, if we have a really good year?

One can only dream, or is that more like fantasizing?

Nawzer
05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
One can only dream, or is that more like fantasizing?

Asomugha coming to Houston would be analogous to Harry Potter switching houses from Gryffindor to Hufflepuff. He could go sign with another Gryffindor like team or go with either the smart Ravenclaw or the cunning and slightly badass Slytherin. And yes, I'm comparing the Texans to the Hufflepuffs. They are lamest house at Hogwarts (sorry, if you're a Hufflepuff fan but it's true). Also, if you have no idea what I'm talking about then don't worry. Lol.

DX-TEX
05-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Asomugha coming to Houston would be analogous to Harry Potter switching houses from Gryffindor to Hufflepuff. He could go sign with another Gryffindor like team or go with either the smart Ravenclaw or the cunning and slightly badass Slytherin. And yes, I'm comparing the Texans to the Hufflepuffs. They are lamest house at Hogwarts (sorry, if you're a Hufflepuff fan but it's true). Also, if you have no idea what I'm talking about then don't worry. Lol.

Please dont ever use an analogy like this again. I feel dumber just for reading it.

MistaRed
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM

as an HP fan, this is the perfect analogy

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae130/RedX21/Youre-a-Hufflepuff-Not-Important-To-The-Story-Line.jpg

GP
05-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Geezus, Nawzer. Seriously? (sigh)

http://www.pophate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gearge-Takei-Douchbag-Animated-GIF.gif

HTown2ATX
05-25-2011, 09:17 PM

:sarcasm:

(fixed it for you :D )

Nawzer
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Geezus, Nawzer. Seriously? (sigh)

http://www.pophate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gearge-Takei-Douchbag-Animated-GIF.gif

Haha. Hey who am I to argue against George Takei?!

houstonspartan
05-25-2011, 11:52 PM

If we have a good year, then that re-writes the history of this franchise, regardless of who comes here. The storyline would be "The Texans have FINALLY turned the corner."

Add that to a rich-ass owner who is willing to spend, a major market, a great stadium, a cool town and loyal fans, and this team could have any player they wanted - IF we get some balls.

badboy
05-26-2011, 02:20 PM
One can only dream, or is that more like fantasizing?"Dream on, dream until your dreams come true". Steven Tyler last night American Idol before winner was announced.

SIde note I loved Lady Gaga's performance as at the end she and male dancer jumped off the high stand they had been dancing on.

badboy
05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
If we have a good year, then that re-writes the history of this franchise, regardless of who comes here. The storyline would be "The Texans have FINALLY turned the corner."
Add that to a rich-ass owner who is willing to spend, a major market, a great stadium, a cool town and loyal fans, and this team could have any player they wanted - IF we get some balls.I would have said "Texans FINALLY got a corner who could turn and run....:hurrah:

Ole Miss Texan
05-27-2011, 10:41 AM
On Free Agency:

We’re going to be as aggressive as we can be, like we always are. It’s odd this year, of course, because we’ve had the draft first, but in a lot of respects, it gives you an idea to really pinpoint where you think you need to go and try to address. We certainly have done that.

We’re chomping at the bit, both from a collegiate free agent standpoint as well as an unrestricted and restricted free agent standpoint. We’re ready to go.
Love the first part of his first statement... but "like we always are" isn't exactly what I wanted him to follow that up with! lol
“We’ll see whenever it comes. I think our front seven right now is pretty solid. I think we’ve got a really good group on paper – what I’ve seen, what I think. We’ve got a pretty good group up front. We’ve got a lot of young secondary people that need to come on, and we’ll see about free agency.

Most fans want to know if the Texans will pursue Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, a four-time Pro Bowler who’ll be an unrestricted free agent. Asomugha, 29, likely will command a contract that will make him one of the highest-paid defensive players in NFL history.

The Texans haven’t spoken publicly about Asomugha, and league rules prohibit them from talking about any players from other teams until free agency begins.

Texans coach Gary Kubiak did say that the safety position “continues to be something that we’re looking at.” Even if the Texans move cornerback Glover Quin to free safety as expected, they could add a veteran strong safety to compete with Troy Nolan, Dominique Barber and Torri Williams.

We’ve almost prepared for free agency like three times, so we know these guys very well. The list (of free agents) is real big when you think about these rules and it’s very small when you think about some other rules that could be in effect. But the bottom line, we know who’s there. We know who we want to chase, so to speak, when the time comes.

I think us adding some veterans to our football team is very important. I think it would be a welcome addition to our players. I’ve heard some of them speak about that. There’s two ways you get better in the offseason, the draft and free agency, and we’re halfway there.
No this (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Targets-set-Texans-“chomping-at-the-bit”-for-free-agency/4483bb4b-eaa0-4b38-9e9d-566c9c1c62c0)doesn't specifically address Nnamdi Asomugha, but it does address (1) Free Agency and (2) the NEED to add a Veteran or two to the secondary. Obviously this is all talk right now, but I'm excited to know that the front office has their list of guys they really want to target and get. Wade and Kubiak have both publicly stated the need to get a veteran in the secondary. Wade says he really likes how the front seven looks and I think most of us will agree. Let's hope we can bring in a CB and/or S!

El Tejano
05-27-2011, 11:12 AM
On Free Agency:

Love the first part of his first statement... but "like we always are" isn't exactly what I wanted him to follow that up with! lol

No this (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Targets-set-Texans-“chomping-at-the-bit”-for-free-agency/4483bb4b-eaa0-4b38-9e9d-566c9c1c62c0)doesn't specifically address Nnamdi Asomugha, but it does address (1) Free Agency and (2) the NEED to add a Veteran or two to the secondary. Obviously this is all talk right now, but I'm excited to know that the front office has their list of guys they really want to target and get. Wade and Kubiak have both publicly stated the need to get a veteran in the secondary. Wade says he really likes how the front seven looks and I think most of us will agree. Let's hope we can bring in a CB and/or S!

Kubiak even said on NFL Network that when FA starts they are going to see if they can get a CB.

I think the presence of a veteran will do a great deal. Andre Johnson was very raw prior to Eric Moulds arrival. He had a great deal of talent but Eric Moulds showed him alot (as stated by Andre Johnson himself.) Having a good - been to the top vet - would help us a great deal.

rarazz00
05-28-2011, 08:46 PM
I remember a quote where Bob McNair said he didn't get into the NFL for the money...He got in it for Championships....with that being said, he's older now and may want to win now and open up the vault. Hope I'm right...our "D" needs Asomugha:texflag:

Big Lou
05-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Consider your man card pulled!!!!!!

2slik4u
05-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Nerd Alert.

houstonspartan
05-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Consider your man card pulled!!!!!!

lol!!

V3rm0nt3r
05-29-2011, 01:52 AM

Hey, F all these guys. That analogy's almost as awesome as the books. I even have a scar on my forehead from when I got t-boned last spring. Silver lining was pretty easy to find.

beerlover
05-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Andre Johnson being friends with Nnamdi Asomugha really helps the Texans case. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7578149.html

Johnson, who has recovered from postseason surgery on his ankle, also has encouraged cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to sign with the Texans when the lockout ends and he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
"I've talked to him, and every time I hit him with it, it seems like it's on his mind," Johnson said. "I don't even say, 'Hey, man, what's up?' The first thing I say is, 'What's up? Are you coming to Houston? What are you going to do?' "
When the lockout ends, Asomugha, who is regarded as one of the two best cornerbacks in the league, will become the most attractive free agent. The Texans know him very well because they play the Oakland Raiders almost every season.
"He'll have to make a decision," Johnson said. "I know it'll be a big decision. He's a very talented guy. I'd love to have him on our team."

It's more than just about the money :specnatz:

False Start
05-30-2011, 02:20 PM
IN DRE WE TRUST

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/dre100-fnlcopy.jpg

Mari-OWNED!
05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm sure Andre would take a pay cut if it meant re-signing Vonta Leach, and getting to sign Nnamdi Asomugha.

Mr teX
05-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Andre Johnson being friends with Nnamdi Asomugha really helps the Texans case. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7578149.html

It's more than just about the money :specnatz:

what's to be happy about? The money is the best chance for them to get him over here lol...if it's more than just about the money..that doesn't really play in our favor.

Rey
05-30-2011, 08:08 PM
what's to be happy about? The money is the best chance for them to get him over here lol...if it's more than just about the money..that doesn't really play in our favor.

We do have some things going in our favor. Our offense can score points.

Our defense should get better. We are still a young team and we are in a division that it's extremely possible we could win it.

If they can sell Aso on him being a catalyst to help push us over the top that could be another selling point.

Despite the stigma about Houston football (well Houston sports in general), I think that it's quite possible that with our without Aso we could do quite well for ourselves next year.

It's really just up to the Texans on selling that to him...And of course paying him.

Nawzer
05-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey, F all these guys. That analogy's almost as awesome as the books. I even have a scar on my forehead from when I got t-boned last spring. Silver lining was pretty easy to find.

Thank you. Someone appreciates humor and the rest of you, just be glad I didn't pull out my Star Wars or Star Trek analogies. :joker:

AnthonyE
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you. Someone appreciates humor and the rest of you, just be glad I didn't pull out my Star Wars or Star Trek analogies. :joker:

I support your Harry Potter analogy sir. And I would love a Star Wars one too.

Meh, star trek? Not so much.

thunderkyss
05-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm sure Andre would take a pay cut if it meant re-signing Vonta Leach, and getting to sign Nnamdi Asomugha.

I'd be extremely shocked if Andre takes a pay cut so the Texans can pay Asomugha more than him. That would be silly, especially considering the last time he did the Texans a "favor"

Rick F$#'n Smith better figure a way to structure the deal & the cap to handle his job up, without being bailed out by Andre.

If Andre is in contact with Aso & actively trying to get him to come to Houston, Rick Smith better kiss his ass.

badboy
06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Heard report on NFL channel last night that Oakland has cleared money to re-sign it's own free agents. Asomugha was mentioned by analyst but not identified by Oakland.

Double Barrel
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM

I'd like to hear both!

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/psychology/images/eventlist/events/nerd-herd-icon_1220937936.png

p.s. my 6'10" 320 lbs. football playing son LOVES Harry Potter.

badboy
06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you. Someone appreciates humor and the rest of you, just be glad I didn't pull out my Star Wars or Star Trek analogies. :joker:Yeah, I was waiting for you to pull out "Twinkle, twinkle little star any minute.

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Another piece that shows the Texans new "makeup" would be a nice setup for Aso. http://gridirongrit.com/houston-texans-2011-preview-nnamdi-asomugha-the-last-missing-piece/

VTexan
06-06-2011, 01:40 AM
I'd like to hear both!

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/psychology/images/eventlist/events/nerd-herd-icon_1220937936.png

You should have him step out on the bball court.

Ckw
06-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd like to hear both!

6'10" and 320?!?!?!? Holy shit, DB! Yeah, get that boy on the basketball court. Surely he can dunk. Just have him post up and abuse anyone that gets in his way to the rack.

gary
06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Why are we still a team on the rise? Will we always be that way?

eriadoc
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Why are we still a team on the rise? Will we always be that way?

8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and 6-10 doesn't indicate much of a rise, TBH.

gary
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
8-8, 8-8, 9-7, and 6-10 doesn't indicate much of a rise, TBH.That is what I'm talking about.

badboy
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Another piece that shows the Texans new "makeup" would be a nice setup for Aso. http://gridirongrit.com/houston-texans-2011-preview-nnamdi-asomugha-the-last-missing-piece/

Excellent read as it is same opinion I have (lol). The only poss disagreement is KJ starting opposite ASO as Harris may beat him out. Wonder if McNair is thinking of the attention he would get if he were to sign the vet?

badboy
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Why are we still a team on the rise? Will we always be that way?Hope is like yeast. It makes everything rise.

Allstar
06-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Saw this video that was posted a few months ago. Made me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToJ2ROxTtSg

could anyone show me how to embed this?

beerlover
06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Hope is like yeast. It makes everything rise.

Including alcohol :drunk::headhurts:

rarazz00
06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Including alcohol :drunk::headhurts:

or Viagra :kitten:

The Pencil Neck
06-09-2011, 02:05 AM
That is what I'm talking about.

lol

You really don't know how much worse it could get.

There are some teams that have talent and/or coaching and people expect them to get better and challenge the big boys and do some damage. Some teams are in that gray area of being almost good and almost bad for years and they become a favorite for pundits to pick as the next big thing.

The Texans are there right now and have been since Kubiak's second season.

The Cardinals were there for about a decade. The Lions were there during the Sanders era. The Packers were there for a long time. Everyone in the NFC East lives there.

It happens.

Brandon420tx
06-09-2011, 02:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3vg9k8Abc