PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Candidates

ToxicButt
05-12-2011, 11:12 PM
We don't have any proof that the Texans will actually do anything in free agency this year. However, there are several factors that suggest they should and will this year:

1. Texans chick article about the average age of the defense is damning. the numbers don't lie.

2. Wade Phillips is no *****. He knows that help is needed. And I'm not just talking about talent. This defense is full of fail. We need veterans from successful programs to change the "oh shit" attitude. Someone to lead when things are not going well. Someone to lend swagger based on actual experience of success.

3. We could have taken a safety higher (near the top of th 4th round) if we wanted to go young. I believe the safety from OU was there. But we didn't. And it looks like we're moving Quinn to FS. It would make a ton of sense to bring in a veteran safety to help quarterback the secondary.

4. Likewise, we did not go CB in rounds 1 and 2. I'm somewhat pleased with it because that suggests to me that we will look for a veteran.

5. Veterans with prior 3-4 experience, particularly those with prior connection with Phillips, could significantly help in the transition to the 3-4, especially since there will be limited offseason. Again, Wade Phillips is no dummy. He knows he's dealing with the league's worst defense that has a culture of suck. He needs on the field leadership.

So with that, I would like to develop a list of FA's that (i) have prior experience with the 3-4, (ii) possibly have a prior history with Wade Phillips, and (iii) play linebacker, CB or Safety. I believe we need veteran leadership and help at all three levels.

Ike Taylor comes to mind first at CB. He comes from a very successful 3-4 defense and can still play at a high level. I would be very happy if we overpaid for him.

Who else can you think of that fits the bill. Is Woodson available to play for 1 year at safety. He could provide tremendous leadership and help to Quinn.

beerlover
05-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Aubrayo Franklin, NT from SF 3-4 could be a surprise acquisition.

I don't want or expect to see McNair throw wild money to get Nnamdi or even Ike is gonna be too high as he will try & leverage a better deal anyways with Pittsburgh. I think the Texans should consider Johnathan Joseph out of Cincinnati, he is four years younger than Asomugha & five years younger than Ike Taylor, still only 26.

Of all the free agents who could really help impact this Texans defense particularly the secondary is Eric Weddle, safety San Diego. I'm sure Kubiak & Smith see a little John Lynch in him, not the fastest or best athlete but the same kind of hard nosed, lunch pale, passionate, competitor who would teach/led young db's the ropes (assignments). Might be tough prying him away from San Diego for Houston but if the big boys go down there personally & he seems intrigued why not bring him out for a look & see.

Lucky
05-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Aubrayo Franklin, NT from SF 3-4 could be a surprise acquisition.
The Texans aren't going to give big $$$ to a NT. What they may do is bring in a Pat or Jamal Williams (if available). Both played under Wade and who likely take a short contract.

I don't want or expect to see McNair throw wild money to get Nnamdi or even Ike is gonna be too high as he will try & leverage a better deal anyways with Pittsburgh. I think the Texans should consider Johnathan Joseph out of Cincinnati, he is four years younger than Asomugha & five years younger than Ike Taylor, still only 26.
Joseph would be a more likely acquisition, if the free agent rules make him available. If 2011 is played under 2010 cap rules, Joseph and the other FAs with less than 6 years of experience would become restricted (if tendered).

Might be tough prying him away from San Diego for Houston but if the big boys go down there personally...
What "big boys"? Mario & Winston? They better bring about 100,000 Benjis with them.

DocBar
05-13-2011, 07:09 AM
I think McNair might surprise us this season. Houston is getting a LOT of buzz and love for hiring Phillips anf the draft we had. If we were to sign Aso, it would send one hell of a signal that the Texans are serious about getting to the playoffs this season and, more than likely, be money well spent. Aso is 1a or 1b in the nfl at CB.
We also need to retain two of our own FA's- Leach and Butler.

El Tejano
05-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I would like to see us go for any one of the before mentioned people. If it's a one big name splash that's fine but if not I'd like to see us land one of the other quality defensive FA with a good WR to add to that such as Steve Breaston, or Clayton from St.Louis. I know we have needs on D but there is nothing wrong with add a bit more explosiveness to our strength either.

I'd like to add another OL too. Nothing wrong with that.

infantrycak
05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
4. Likewise, we did not go CB in rounds 1 and 2. I'm somewhat pleased with it because that suggests to me that we will look for a veteran.

Really, they didn't?

Signed

Brandon Harris, 28th pick in the 2nd round

Blake
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Really, they didn't?

Signed

Brandon Harris, 28th pick in the 2nd round

Exactly. I love the pick, but IMO that tells me that the Texans dont plan on getting an ASO. Not to mention Rashad Carmichael. They plan on using what they have. And they are fine with that. They have been for the last few years.

dream_team
05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Exactly. I love the pick, but IMO that tells me that the Texans dont plan on getting an ASO. Not to mention Rashad Carmichael. They plan on using what they have. And they are fine with that. They have been for the last few years.

I think that's just being smart. Can't put all your faith you'll be able to sign someone from FA. Glad Texans have a Plan B if they're not able to sign a vet CB.

HoustonFrog
05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
We don't have any proof that the Texans will actually do anything in free agency this year. However, there are several factors that suggest they should and will this year:

1. Texans chick article about the average age of the defense is damning. the numbers don't lie.

2. Wade Phillips is no *****. He knows that help is needed. And I'm not just talking about talent. This defense is full of fail. We need veterans from successful programs to change the "oh shit" attitude. Someone to lead when things are not going well. Someone to lend swagger based on actual experience of success.

3. We could have taken a safety higher (near the top of th 4th round) if we wanted to go young. I believe the safety from OU was there. But we didn't. And it looks like we're moving Quinn to FS. It would make a ton of sense to bring in a veteran safety to help quarterback the secondary.

5. Veterans with prior 3-4 experience, particularly those with prior connection with Phillips, could significantly help in the transition to the 3-4, especially since there will be limited offseason. Again, Wade Phillips is no dummy. He knows he's dealing with the league's worst defense that has a culture of suck. He needs on the field leadership.

So with that, I would like to develop a list of FA's that (i) have prior experience with the 3-4, (ii) possibly have a prior history with Wade Phillips, and (iii) play linebacker, CB or Safety. I believe we need veteran leadership and help at all three levels.

Ike Taylor comes to mind first at CB. He comes from a very successful 3-4 defense and can still play at a high level. I would be very happy if we overpaid for him.

Who else can you think of that fits the bill. Is Woodson available to play for 1 year at safety. He could provide tremendous leadership and help to Quinn.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204422/football-headlines?r=1

Free agent Ike Taylor suggested Thursday that he will give the Steelers first dibs on re-signing him once the league year begins.
"I'm pretty sure we're on the same page," said Taylor. "The ball's in their court ... I've been in Pittsburgh longer than any other city since I was born. That's home to me. Steelers Nation is crazy." Beat writer Scott Brown notes that Taylor is "father-son close" to owner Dan Rooney, and the Steelers are "too smart to try and lowball him." Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Mr teX
05-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think any real flashy names will be signed....just mid tier guys like usual.. However, i do think the PR machine down on Kirby has gotten the message that some fans at least want to "hear" that they're going after the flashy guys, & it'll make all the difference for them.

beerlover
05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
The Texans aren't going to give big $$$ to a NT. What they may do is bring in a Pat or Jamal Williams (if available). Both played under Wade and who likely take a short contract.

Your probably right if things remain as they have been, I'm just saying he is a perfect system fit for Wade Phillips 3-4, add some veteran leadership in the middle of a young unproven Texan interior DL. His contract would reflect in the same neighborhood as when they signed Antonio Smith so I would consider him a legit target.

Joseph would be a more likely acquisition, if the free agent rules make him available. If 2011 is played under 2010 cap rules, Joseph and the other FAs with less than 6 years of experience would become restricted (if tendered).

Joesph for reason you mentioned is probably a less likely signing. This is more a pipe dream (but a good one) than Franklin. More likely lesser name, with the lockout even these guys will be hungry to sign quickly.

What "big boys"? Mario & Winston? They better bring about 100,000 Benjis with them.

the method used to pull this quote even threw me off, but what I meant to say is if the Texans are really interested in Eric they need to express their desire & commitment by sending the big 3 - Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak & Wade Phillips, book a tee time @ Torey Pines & discuss a business deal like the big boys do in corporate America. I would even offer my services as their caddy :bender:

badboy
05-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Who else can you think of that fits the bill. Is Woodson available to play for 1 year at safety. He could provide tremendous leadership and help to Quinn.Or Wade Phillips is sucking up the adoration as he turns defense to a top 40% in one season with what he NOW has. He then listens to offers to be a head coach the following season.

DocBar
05-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Or Wade Phillips is sucking up the adoration as he turns defense to a top 40% in one season with what he NOW has. He then listens to offers to be a head coach the following season.

I hope Phillips has come to understand that he's an exceptional coordinator and mediocre head coach. A lot like Dome Capers and Dick LeBeau. Not everyone has the moxie to be a head coach. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I hope Phillips wants a couple of years off from the HC gig.

badboy
05-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I hope Phillips has come to understand that he's an exceptional coordinator and mediocre head coach. A lot like Dome Capers and Dick LeBeau. Not everyone has the moxie to be a head coach. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I hope Phillips wants a couple of years off from the HC gig.I just keep thinking what would happen in this town if we got Asomougha. Talks shows locally would go berserk. ESPN 1-infinity would be talking about Texans and this MB would probably explode.

houstonspartan
05-13-2011, 11:22 PM
I hope Phillips has come to understand that he's an exceptional coordinator and mediocre head coach. A lot like Dome Capers and Dick LeBeau. Not everyone has the moxie to be a head coach. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm waiting for Gary Kubiak to make the same realization....

aussie_texan
05-13-2011, 11:35 PM
apart from the likes of aso and joseph which i think would be amazing but only a very slim chance of getting,
what about 2nd tier players like carlos rogers and josh wilson from the ravens his a houston boy (his dad played for the oilers) aswell i know it doesnt mean much but its something he had a pretty decent year.
you couple any two of these guys with a big time safety like weddle, mikell, landry (ravens) then i think you have a very good secondary group.

and i don't think they will add a NT, wade seems pretty adamant to use earl and cody. unless they bring in pat williams as a veteran presence but i doubt it unless we get an injury in the off-season.

as for bringing in offensive players i doubt it. before the draft i would have said a o-lineman but we drafted one so you can count that out. and a WR i doubt as well, they had chances to get one in the draft and didn't so it gives me the impression that they are happy with the group. OD will be back and his pretty much a slot receiver and i guess that he can be put in as a free-agency signing seen as we extended his contract. However, now im thinking if JJ goes in FA they could bring ing someone like Sims-Walker or early doucet i other words a 2nd or 3rd tier reciever. expect playing time for DD i think

b0ng
05-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I just keep thinking what would happen in this town if we got Asomougha. Talks shows locally would go berserk. ESPN 1-infinity would be talking about Texans and this MB would probably explode.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No, that's not going to happen even if we sign big time FA's. At best we'll be a talking point for maybe a week if we're lucky, but more likely is that we won't get national run unless we have some silly record with no losses about halfway through the season.

DocBar
05-14-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm waiting for Gary Kubiak to make the same realization.... That could be a very true statement..

DocBar
05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I just keep thinking what would happen in this town if we got Asomougha. Talks shows locally would go berserk. ESPN 1-infinity would be talking about Texans and this MB would probably explode.I gotta go with bong on this as far as nation-wide coverage. If we make a deep run in the playoffs though, watch out!!
Houston would def explode. Especially with the 'stro's sucking so bad.

badboy
05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
We have gotten a bit of national coverage for the draft and hiring Phillips. There also has been talk about Texans interested in Asomugha. Not a bunch but better than ever before imo. Casserly has often put in comments but usually about his time with team & choosing Mario.

Big Poundcake
05-18-2011, 05:36 AM
I think that Asomougha and Huff would be cool.

gary
05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
A safety like Weddle or Huff and a CB would awesome.

Norg
05-19-2011, 01:36 AM
my new realistic list LOL or guyz prob on the texans radar :kitten:

CB/Safties

Eric Weddle
Pat Watkins
Darren Sharper
Gerald Sensabaugh
Charlie Peprah
Derrick Martin
Roman Harper
Atari Bigby

WR

hopefully someone like

Torry Holt
Early Doucet
Plaxico Burress
Steve Breaston
Devin Aromashodu
Donte' Stallworth

TO or Ochico Cinco would be fuuny and shocking maybe BOTH LOL

we need a new punter IDK who it is but that Punter for the ravens that helped beat us last game is pretty nice and he is Free me thinks

has far has CB i can only see like

Eric Wright
Nate Ness
Trumaine McBride
Johnathan Joseph
Chris Carr
Will Blackmon
Josh Bell

Allstar
05-19-2011, 03:01 AM

I don't think playing in a 3-4 or a 4-3 has too much effect on the secondary. Front seven is where you'd want familiarity.

aussie_texan
05-19-2011, 08:32 AM
my new realistic list LOL or guyz prob on the texans radar :kitten:

CB/Safties

Eric Weddle
Pat Watkins
Darren Sharper
Gerald Sensabaugh
Charlie Peprah
Derrick Martin
Roman Harper
Atari Bigby

WR

hopefully someone like

Torry Holt
Early Doucet
Plaxico Burress
Steve Breaston
Devin Aromashodu
Donte' Stallworth

TO or Ochico Cinco would be fuuny and shocking maybe BOTH LOL

we need a new punter IDK who it is but that Punter for the ravens that helped beat us last game is pretty nice and he is Free me thinks

has far has CB i can only see like

Eric Wright
Nate Ness
Trumaine McBride
Johnathan Joseph
Chris Carr
Will Blackmon
Josh Bell

im surprised you didnt have huff with your safeties and also josh wilson (i have a real feeling about this) and cromartie to your list.

also i would add in sims-walker to the WRs. according to rumours we had a look at him before the lockout. id be all for bringing him in, as he would be a good number 2 receiver and also make the jaguar WR group very bad

V3rm0nt3r
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm looking at Sensabaugh as the most likely Safety option. Got 5 picks for Phillips last year and Smithiak historically likes bringing in one year wonders who worked in the system with reasonable price tags. See Will Demps and Pollard.