PDA

View Full Version : Are Texans players in organized workouts/practices???

Playoffs
05-12-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm reading about players from many league teams in organized workouts: Pats, Saints, Jets, etc.

Have not seen anything saying Texans are doing the same?

The Cush
05-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Awhile ago there was an article about Schaub organizing the workouts and back when the lockout was lifted and players were "allowed" to workout at the facilities, I remember another article saying that while a few people came to Reliant or wherever they workout that most of the others continued to workout with each other at their designated site

Here's an article: They are working out at Rice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81efd133/article/texans-qb-schaub-organizes-team-workouts-at-rice-university

alphajoker
05-12-2011, 06:36 AM
I want to say the Texans were the first to organize workouts but it wasn't really reported on NFLN as they are now for the higher profile teams. Texans get no respect but untill they start winning, what else can you expect?

IDEXAN
05-12-2011, 06:38 AM
I get the impression that these workouts at Rice involve just offensive
personnel ? I think I read that DeMeco Ryans, the unquestioned leader of the defense, is doing his rehab for last years season-ending injury back home in Alabama and without him there's really no one to organize and lead the defensive guys in workouts like Schaub and the offense are doing ?

DocBar
05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I get the impression that these workouts at Rice involve just offensive
personnel ? I think I read that DeMeco Ryans, the unquestioned leader of the defense, is doing his rehab for last years season-ending injury back home in Alabama and without him there's really no one to organize and lead the defensive guys in workouts like Schaub and the offense are doing ?

I wish MW would stand up and take charge if this is the case. He's supposed to be our best defensive play. I'm glad Cushing hasn't. He might "over train" again.

HoustonFrog
05-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I want to say the Texans were the first to organize workouts but it wasn't really reported on NFLN as they are now for the higher profile teams. Texans get no respect but untill they start winning, what else can you expect?

Alot of teams did it around the same time. It isn't about respect, just that is what alot of teams did. Romo has had the Cowboys working out daily. He organizes and has at least 40 players a day showing up. Many teams are and have been doing the same.

IDEXAN
05-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I wish MW would stand up and take charge if this is the case. He's supposed to be our best defensive play. I'm glad Cushing hasn't. He might "over train" again.
I don't think Mario is the type who's inclined to lead in spite of his abilities and value to the defense, and I'm of the opinion that Cushing is not popular enough/held in high enough regard by his teammats to effectively lead them.

badboy
05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Practice? Practice? It is only Practice and we don't need Practice!

ChampionTexan
05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
While I think it's better than nothing, and I'd be concerned if my team wasn't doing these self-organized workouts, I don't think a player organized practice can come close to the value of what they'd be getting in OTA's and mini-camps.

Does anyone know of an instance where a group of players has hired retired or unemployed NFL coaches to manage and oversee these workouts? I think this would be far more effective than anything these guys can do on their own - regardless of what team we're talking about.

cuppacoffee
05-12-2011, 09:43 AM
While I think it's better than nothing, and I'd be concerned if my team wasn't doing these self-organized workouts, I don't think a player organized practice can come close to the value of what they'd be getting in OTA's and mini-camps.

Does anyone know of an instance where a group of players has hired retired or unemployed NFL coaches to manage and oversee these workouts? I think this would be far more effective than anything these guys can do on their own - regardless of what team we're talking about.

Good idea. Maybe the D can convince $ Bum to come watch a few practices.

:coffee:

gafftop
05-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't think Mario is the type who's inclined to lead in spite of his abilities and value to the defense, and I'm of the opinion that Cushing is not popular enough/held in high enough regard by his teammats to effectively lead them.

Could this be just one of the problems of this team on defense. There is no leader. Just a bunch of individuals playing. You hope Wade brings this to the defense, but they still need some team leaders.