PDA

View Full Version : Texans Scouting director breaks down the draft

Señor Stan
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Scouting-director-Strahm-reviews-2011-draft-class/430cf989-26b7-4ec6-9316-252c6c656a08

Really good piece on the HT.com website.

Strahm said that there were a few key traits that Phillips was looking for in his players.

“He wanted guys that are first of all athletic, number one, and number two – and I think this is a great, great point – is production,” Strahm said. “Is he productive? You know, guys come in different packages, but… is he a productive football player? Is he explosive? Does he have a motor? Is he athletic? Can he bend? Can he run? Can he get off blocks? Can he make plays in space? When you get down to the fundamentals of it, you’re looking for certain characteristics at a position, and our defensive staff with Wade leading our troops is very aggressive – get after their tail, be explosive, play hard, never stop coming, never stop giving up. It’s exciting for us.”

beerlover
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
zero off the field issues with all of them, clean & green :D

gtexan02
05-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I think "Passion for football" was a key.

And I think its smart, because if we have a lockout some of these guys are going to need other income sources and will be forced to walk away. We want guys who will be excited to come back

dream_team
05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Good article. I would also like to hear what they don't like about each player. I know it's probably not a good idea to mention it, but I also would have liked to known what other players they were considering at those spots.

I would have like to known if they preferred Aldon Smith over Watt, and why they passed on Fairley & Quinn.

Malloy
05-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Good stuff, pumped for sure.

I like this last bit, ‘If you’re green, you’re grown, and if you’re ripe, you’re rotten'

:)

El Tejano
05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Does anyone remember when we first hired Kubiak? We could immediately tell the offense would have some improvement just by hearing Gary talk about the offense and it did - even with HWNSNBM under center. We even had multiple 100 yard rushing games!!!

Well I'm getting that same thought from the new defensive coaches. You can hear the difference in how they go about their business and you can tell they know what they are talking about.

Ole Miss Texan
05-05-2011, 09:08 AM
I think "Passion for football" was a key.

And I think its smart, because if we have a lockout some of these guys are going to need other income sources and will be forced to walk away. We want guys who will be excited to come back

I totally agree with this. We've got some guys on this team that, I wouldn't call lazy.... but they lack the passion that is required to make them elite. In following the prospects this past college season and during all the pre-draft business, I always gravitated towards the guys that play 110% and have a great work ethic... the ones that love to play and never let up. That's what we need more of on this team - the blue collar type of guys.

Cush and Barwin are those kind of guys. Demeco is that kind of guy. Now Watt, Reed and Keo are those type of guys. When you're surrounded my more teammates like these guys, it pushes you. This will really rub off on our other players because these are the kind of guys that will hold you accountable. People may be saying Wade is soft, this or that... but the attitude on this defense has changed dramatically over the last year or so and it's only going to continue to improve.

HOU-TEX
05-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Most of it was meh, but I liked what he said of Keo.

This guy, he doesn’t know what it is not to hit somebody. Probably if he was in the lunch room, he’ll probably knock somebody over

He’s got what we call ‘body shock’ when he hits you. It’s like a fighter: A lot of guys can throw a punch, but a real champion knocks you out. Well, this guy’s got that knockout punch about him

badboy
05-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Good article. I would also like to hear what they don't like about each player. I know it's probably not a good idea to mention it, but I also would have liked to known what other players they were considering at those spots.

I would have like to known if they preferred Aldon Smith over Watt, and why they passed on Fairley & Quinn.So you'd be okay with me telling the MB "I hired old Dream Team but I really preferred Billy Bob cause he is much smarter and has a much better work ethic. I think Dream Team is going to be with us a long while IF we can coach him up. Take George Samson, now that guy really can use a computer and even remains after go home time to do extra work and Dream Team..well let's just say he enjoys banker hours. D.T. is a bit over weight and really needs to spend some time with our strength coach and the kid should not have taken the Wonder Lick (as he called it). He said some stupid things in the interview but hey (as Charlie Casserly says) we had an opening and until someone better comes along, we got Dream Team.

I guess I can see why they choose not to do that.

CloakNNNdagger
05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
One of my favorite parts, re. Watt:

He’s supposed to go to this school, and he goes to another school, and that coach gets fired, and he goes to another school and he walks on. He works so hard in spring practice he immediately earns a scholarship. I like those kind of kids that are lunch-pail kids. They’re not privileged to anything. They’ve got to fight and scratch and claw to get where they were. And he took that talent, he took that work ethic and made himself an All-American and a first-round draft pick. I just love his work ethic and motor. This guy plays full speed regardless of whatever he’s doing. He could be eating, it’s full speed. He probably sleeps full speed. He’s a great pick for us.”

dream_team
05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
So you'd be okay with me telling the MB "I hired old Dream Team but I really preferred Billy Bob cause he is much smarter and has a much better work ethic. I think Dream Team is going to be with us a long while IF we can coach him up. Take George Samson, now that guy really can use a computer and even remains after go home time to do extra work and Dream Team..well let's just say he enjoys banker hours. D.T. is a bit over weight and really needs to spend some time with our strength coach and the kid should not have taken the Wonder Lick (as he called it). He said some stupid things in the interview but hey (as Charlie Casserly says) we had an opening and until someone better comes along, we got Dream Team.

I guess I can see why they choose not to do that.

Exactly what I want to know! Haha. Yeah, I understand why they didn't mention it, but it's stuff I do wanna know.

rmartin65
05-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Another thing to consider, is that no coach, GM, or scout is going to admit anything less than excitement after the draft.

76Texan
05-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Another note on this draft now that I just got back in town:
The secondary guys (Harris - Miami, Carmichael - VT, Keo- Idaho) all came from schools with the same coverage scheme that Wade employs: Pattern matching.

Jackson (Alabama - under Saban) and LB Sharpton (Miami) also came from this principle.

rmartin65
05-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Another note on this draft now that I just got back in town:
The secondary guys (Harris - Miami, Carmichael - VT, Keo- Idaho) all came from schools with the same coverage scheme that Wade employs: Pattern matching.

Jackson (Alabama - under Saban) and LB Sharpton (Miami) also came from this principle.

That is interesting. I appreciate (as I am sure many others do) the work you do analyzing schemes and plays.

If you get the time, would you mind watching some Keo tape and letting us know about his coverage ability? I was not impressed, and it is the only thing holding me back from loving the pick.

drs23
05-05-2011, 07:17 PM
That is interesting. I appreciate (as I am sure many others do) the work you do analyzing schemes and plays.

If you get the time, would you mind watching some Keo tape and letting us know about his coverage ability? I was not impressed, and it is the only thing holding me back from loving the pick.

Roger that. REP sent.

76Texan
05-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been reviewing some tapes and should have some thing to report soon.
I think I like the pick.

steelbtexan
05-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I totally agree with this. We've got some guys on this team that, I wouldn't call lazy.... but they lack the passion that is required to make them elite. In following the prospects this past college season and during all the pre-draft business, I always gravitated towards the guys that play 110% and have a great work ethic... the ones that love to play and never let up. That's what we need more of on this team - the blue collar type of guys.

Cush and Barwin are those kind of guys. Demeco is that kind of guy. Now Watt, Reed and Keo are those type of guys. When you're surrounded my more teammates like these guys, it pushes you. This will really rub off on our other players because these are the kind of guys that will hold you accountable. People may be saying Wade is soft, this or that... but the attitude on this defense has changed dramatically over the last year or so and it's only going to continue to improve.

Agreed, More blue collar guys are needed.

What attitude has changed over the last yr on defense? The defense was historically bad vs the pass last yr and nobody knows how they're going to fare coming off a lockout shortened offseason. While incorporating a whole new scheme. That is being installed by a DC that as HC ha a historically bad Cowgirls defense last yr. Have Wades AC's gotten smarter or developed a better plan than they did with the Cowgirls last yr?

I'm happy with the change too, but my optimism is somewhat tempered with the setbacks of putting in a new defense in a lockout offseason and the fact that Wades Cowgirls defense stunk last yr.

Dutchrudder
05-07-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Scouting-director-Strahm-reviews-2011-draft-class/430cf989-26b7-4ec6-9316-252c6c656a08

Really good piece on the HT.com website.

Good read, thanks for posting that.

Jackie Chiles
05-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Agreed, More blue collar guys are needed.

What attitude has changed over the last yr on defense? The defense was historically bad vs the pass last yr and nobody knows how they're going to fare coming off a lockout shortened offseason. While incorporating a whole new scheme. That is being installed by a DC that as HC ha a historically bad Cowgirls defense last yr. Have Wades AC's gotten smarter or developed a better plan than they did with the Cowgirls last yr?

I'm happy with the change too, but my optimism is somewhat tempered with the setbacks of putting in a new defense in a lockout offseason and the fact that Wades Cowgirls defense stunk last yr.

Dom Caper's defense stunk while he was the HC with us and I don't think you'll hear too many complaints from the faithful in GB. All of the lockout concerns are valid but trying to overshadow Phillip's career resume with a horrible 7 game streak where his team gave up on him is silly.

thunderkyss
05-15-2011, 07:19 AM
I just read the article. This:
our defensive staff with Wade leading our troops is very aggressive – get after their tail, be explosive, play hard, never stop coming, never stop giving up. It’s exciting for us.”

Sounds very familiar. I remember Richard Smith saying similar things. Frank Bush as well. In fact, that is exactly how I would describe our 2009 defense from week 5 through week 16.

But something happened in 2010..... they got way too conservative, put their play-makers on their heels, reading, watching, reacting, instead of being aggressive & making things happen.

I don't know if that was our DC's nature to play ultra conservative back then to cover some perceived deficiency, or if that was Gary's conservative nature taking over. If it were the later, I hope Wade has the gnads to die by the sword & stay aggressive until they figure it out.