PDA

View Full Version : Would Texans be interested in Marion Barber?

rarazz00
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
06:48 AM ET 04.30 | The Cowboys selected Oklahoma???s DeMarco Murray in the third round with the intention of working him into the rotation at running back in place of Marion Barber, who has a $4.25 million salary for next season. The club is expected to release Barber before training camp, avoiding a $500,000 roster bonus.

Dallas Morning News

Just a thought!!!!!:texflag:
Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?page=2#ixzz1L7WwUVAP

MistaRed
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Probably not. There are already 4 rb's on the roster. Barber will most likely want to go to a team where he could earn a starting spot.

The1ApplePie
05-01-2011, 12:59 PM
He was a monster when he came off the bench, so playing behind Foster could do wonders. May not be a starter any more, but he can be a closer in the 4th quarter.

rmartin65
05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Foster and Barber would be a nasty combo, especially with Ward as the 3rd back. If he is willing to be the second back, then I hope the Texans try to sign him.

TexanSam
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I doubt he has any interest in coming here. He's only 27 and can probably be a starter somewhere.

Odd fact when I was looking up his stats though. I didn't know he's never had a 1000 yard season. Kind of surprised me.

rarazz00
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Foster and Barber would be a nasty combo, especially with Ward as the 3rd back. If he is willing to be the second back, then I hope the Texans try to sign him.

Yes and we got Tate!!!...

rmartin65
05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Yes and we got Tate!!!...

Shit, I forgot about Tate! No way Barber comes here. Just no way it happens.

Rey
05-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I doubt it happens, and I really don't want to spend money in that area...

I'd rather they throw some money at the reciever spot on offense...

Texecutioner
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Haved loved Barber for years, but he is not effective at all the way he used to be. His running style is so physical and brutal that it took years off of his career. I would hate to take that guy on now even for really low money. RB's like him are great to have, but they simply don't last long, and he'd be a waste of a signing in my opinion. For the first time in years, I can say that I think the Texans RB situation is damn good right now and they don't need to sign anyone really other than a depth guy and I don't want Barber to be that guy. He'll want to many carries and we need to get Tate and others involved more.

gary
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Have some UDFA and have them at training camp once a new CBA is signed because they are not ever enough of them.

Dutchrudder
05-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I bet a rep that he ends up on the Jets.

Texecutioner
05-02-2011, 06:37 PM

I'll take that bet for the hell of it. :fingergun:

Not a bad prediction though.

The1ApplePie
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
When he split time, he was the best closer in the game. Maybe he still has the magic where he can sit on the bench for three quarters and then come light it up in the 4th.

Dutchrudder
05-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I'll take that bet for the hell of it. :fingergun:

Not a bad prediction though.

Well, you gotta predict a team. I say Jets.

awtysst
05-02-2011, 07:16 PM

I want to play too. I will bet he ends up in Tampa Bay. They need a RB and they did not draft one until the 6th round. Tampa would try to sign him since a steady RB like him could help the development of Freeman.

Texecutioner
05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, you gotta predict a team. I say Jets.

Yeah, but that leaves us both with 29 other teams that could possibly take him. What if he goes to neither?

I'll pick a one A team and then B team for him and you pick a 2nd one then

Team A: Washington Redskins

team B: Greenbay Packers.

Texecutioner
05-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I want to play too. I will bet he ends up in Tampa Bay. They need a RB and they did not draft one until the 6th round. Tampa would try to sign him since a steady RB like him could help the development of Freeman.

You're in.. Pick one more team so that will give us at least 6 teams that he could potentially go to. Between Washington (team I picked) and NY, I think there is a strong chance he lands at one of them.

Can't pick Dallas though.

gary
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM
He and Grant would be great for Green Bay.

Dutchrudder
05-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but that leaves us both with 29 other teams that could possibly take him. What if he goes to neither?

I'll pick a one A team and then B team for him and you pick a 2nd one then

Team A: Washington Redskins

team B: Greenbay Packers.

Fair enough. I'll take Pittsburgh for my second team. He could compliment Mendenhall well.

Rey
05-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Tennesee & Indy

Texecutioner
05-02-2011, 09:40 PM
He and Grant would be great for Green Bay.

I don't think that he'd be great for anyone at this point. He's banged up pretty bad and I haven't seen him as that effective runner who could run through people and smash them since 2008.

gary
05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't think that he'd be great for anyone at this point. He's banged up pretty bad and I haven't seen him as that effective runner who could run through people and smash them since 2008.As a second or third option back, so what?

Texecutioner
05-03-2011, 01:42 AM
As a second or third option back, so what?

A lot of times those 2nd and 3rd options become your work horse back if you have enough injuries. It happens with a few teams every season. I wouldn't want to be a team where Barber is your main guy that's expected to carry the ball 15+ in any game. RB's seem to get hurt more and more these days.

HoustonFrog
05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
I think Barber on any team now is going to be situational...mostly short yardage. Most people don't realize how much he has lost. The last 2 years he has come to camp and all I heard is how he is healthy and has gained his momentum back. Then you see him play and he CAN'T get outside and even has some problems getting to the hole because of losing a step. He will have 2-3 runs where you are like.."wow, that looks like the Barber of old" but I think those take all his effort and then he looks slow again. Shortyardgae/goalline is all I see to keep him fresh and effective.

HOU-TEX
05-03-2011, 09:43 AM
No..

Texecutioner
05-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I think Barber on any team now is going to be situational...mostly short yardage. Most people don't realize how much he has lost. The last 2 years he has come to camp and all I heard is how he is healthy and has gained his momentum back. Then you see him play and he CAN'T get outside and even has some problems getting to the hole because of losing a step. He will have 2-3 runs where you are like.."wow, that looks like the Barber of old" but I think those take all his effort and then he looks slow again. Shortyardgae/goalline is all I see to keep him fresh and effective.

Exactly. I knew you'd be in this thread at some point with the same sentiment being a Cowboys fan and watching him probably more than I have even. I like Barber a lot and always have, but the last two years he hasn't been the same dude with that explosive burst of strength as he runs and for a guy that never had any speed to begin with, that doesn't give him much else to work with.

gary
05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
If he wants to just come in here or there then he might work out.

badboy
05-03-2011, 10:36 PM
When Dallas picked Murray, I immediately rejected Barber for Texans. We have three big backs & I think Ward can catch better out of backfield than Barber but I could easily be wrong. Laugh but I think New England as Barber wants a ring and will sign cheap.

TimeKiller
05-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Chargers.