PDA

View Full Version : Grade The Texan 2011 Draft

beerlover
05-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I’m going to keep it simple, straight forward. Just one Texan fans viewpoint of how successful or not this organization performed against the field so to speak. Go Ahead & Rip It Apart.

11th pick – JJ Watt, Wisconsin, DE, 6053 290
Strengthens the Texans up front & creates more flexibility primarily as a 3-4 5-Tech DE who can move to tackle in four man fronts (Mario-Watt-Smith- Barwin). Large frame, he seems to still be growing into, the sky is the limit for him & having Wade Phillips to coach him up into a truly great player. In this new defensive scheme (3-4) this position is generally difficult to acquire/fill & considered a foundation piece. Selected BPA @ position of need using own pick, zero additional cost. Grade A

#42ND pick – Brooks Reed, Arizona, OLB, 6024 263
Love his motor, aggressive downhill style, strength, ability to stack & shed plus he’s developed a multitude of pro style (advanced) pass rushing moves. He is very explosive off the snap, his combine numbers match up really well with Clay Matthews combine two years ago so there are many similarities besides the long flowing blonde air (maybe the NFL will figure a way to outlaw that too). Selected BPA @ position of need using own pick, zero additional cost. Grade A

#92nd pick – Brandon Harris, Miami, CB, 5094 191
Texans moved back up into the second round to address CB with one of the best talents at position of need in the draft (w/New England giving up their third (73rd overall) and fifth-round picks (138th overall) in the deal. His primary strength will best be utilized in the slot but has ability to step out & cover bigger receivers. The overall concept now is a better team defense in the secondary so all these players will learn how to maximize each other’s attributes. Brandon is also a competitor, smart & disciplined, did not have the big Senior year because teams where avoiding his side of the field, love adding another Hurricane player to what the Texans already have.
Traded picks to acquire coveted player, who wouldn’t last to the next pick, costly but understandable. Grade A-

#127th pick – Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech, CB, 5100 192
One of the few players we as fans heard of Texans having interest in both @ Senior Bowl & Combine. Better speed @ his Pro-Day (4.39 forty) also very productive w/10 INT’s over the past two seasons. With Harris lined up in the slot he could fill one of the outside posts opposite Kareem Jackson, makes sense so they can move Glover Quinn to FS. Texans traded down with Washington giving up fourth (#105) & sixth (#178) receiving Skins fourth (127th) plus two fifth’s (#144/#153) = winning & filling position of need. Grade B+

#144th pick - Shiloh Keo, Idaho, SS, 5114 219
Folks don’t worry about his timed speed, kid is a winner, a competitor, a spirited player you can pull for with every rep he can convince Wade Phillips to allow. Naturally that begins with special teams, where he was a stand-out, both returning punts & gunner on kick-offs. He is both smart & tough a common thread in this Texan draft. I like this quote from ourlads scouting services “Comes downhill to support like a rolling ball of butcher knives” that pretty much sums of his style of play, Texan fans are going to fall in love with this guy, he is a leader both on & off the field. Grade B+

#152nd pick – TJ Yates, North Carolina, QB, 6030 219
QB’s are a difficult evaluation but since we have one of the best in Gary Kubiak who is to say he’s wrong taking a QB in the 5th rd.? West Coast style, reads progressions as Texans teach, four full years of starting experience under his belt, so he maybe more NFL ready than most. A couple things I’ve noticed that do remind me of Schaub that I don’t really care for is he holds the ball too long, then tries to force it or take unnecessary hits/sacks, not the most mobile QB either, guess that shouldn’t surprise. Grade B

#214th pick - Derek Newton, Arkansas State, OT, 6047 311
Good feet with ability to play RT or possibly move inside to RG. Has good length for zone blocking scheme, natural knee bender who is active downfield. Can mirror & slide in pass pro. Better than average athlete who is a solid developmental tackle with some versatility to kick inside. I have no problem taking at least one OL in every draft, considering he was only a 7th rd. investment seems like a smart pick with Butler surely moving on once free agency is lifted. Grade B

#254th pick - “Mr. Irrelevant” – Cheta Ozougwu, Rice, OLB, 6200 247
Hard to dig such a nice, young, intelligent, local kid who adds another camp body @ OLB. He looked really good at the combine, posted some decent numbers & flashed enough hip flex to consider developing. I wonder if Casey had anything to do with his selection? Anyway enjoy the moment the night is still young. Grade C

Total Overall Texan Grade A- (weighted early picks higher)

jppaul
05-01-2011, 01:11 AM
I give it a b+. I would have liked to see them grab a big body for the middle.

TexCanada
05-01-2011, 01:23 AM
I am extremely happy with this draft, which is a completely different feeling then I had after last years draft. I really think we added some quality players this time around. I can't wait for free agency when we can hopefully add a veteran CB.

phantom17
05-01-2011, 01:40 AM
B+ I really like the first 3 draft picks- A. The 2 DBs seem very solid & as long as Wade has his blessing on them, then I'm good with it! I thought the the QB was a wasted pick, ala Alex Brink 2.0, with other needs along the D, like another OLB/DE or NT. I do like the OT in the 7th for value, but not sure about the Cheta (really cool name)! I'm praying that this draft will be great for once in a long time! I like that they picked high IQ, very hard working football players! I really think Wade had alot of say so, instead of just relying on Dumb & Dumber to pick the players!:texflag:

beerlover
05-01-2011, 11:40 AM
1st rd. I got the position right but the player wrong (Cameron Jordan). I understand it now because Wade liked Watt ability to slide inside to DT on a consistent basis which gives the Texans more mobility to shift Mario, Cam would have also been a stand up guy so it makes a lot of sense. Texans had to get tougher on the DL & Watt brings it along with Antonio Smith.

2nd rd. tried & tried to mock Brooks Reed but just didn't think it was realistic he would still be available, scoreboard Texans.

3rd. rd. traded up, something we talk about but its too hard to mock. Brandon Harris is a late 1 early 2nd who's slide allowed the Texans to trade up with New England giving up only a 3rd & 5th.

4th rd. traded down with Washington swapping 4's & giving up a 6th to acquire 2 5's. props to Rick Smith, now that folks, is a New England type move. Also one reason why I gave Rashad Carmichael B+ to complete the CB conversion (waiting still for FA) via the draft while restocking picks is a win win.

5th rd. Guess I have to start the Shiloh Keo fan club or something I just love his spirit & I was a big fan of Pollard as a person too. He is one of the few players in this draft at the safety position who is a born leader by example & embodies the character Texans covet.

5th rd. Had to rely on a fellow draft bud to talk me down out of the tree on this one, but I'm ok with it now. What if he develops into starting QB material? was not in any of our mock drafts because he was rated too high for a 6th/7th rd. grade didn't know the need was that significant but if Kubiak sees an opportunity to get a solid back-up to replace Orlovsky & Leinart then it's a steal.

7th rd. Swing tackle was a need with Butler on the move when FA opens. This makes alot of sense to find a tackle/guard who fits ZBS to develop & bring in depth. Being better than average talent with good line coaching should help him along to make the 53 man roster, not the PS.

7th rd. Character, intelligence, symbolic of what Texans like in a prospect coming out of College. Plays a need position, will get plenty of snaps/reps once camp begins we'll just have to see how hard he works on his own to prepare for this opportunity given. I know there are some quality undrafted free agents still out there but have some patience & expect the Texans to be aggressive players who will identify needs not addressed during the draft like nose tackle, another safety, inside linebacker & a punter.

Obviously I love the job Rick Smith & the entire coaching staff along with the scouting department did to make this 2011 class one which will turn the corner for this organization & give the fans something they've deserved for hanging in there through disappointing times. I'll stand by my grade -A

The1ApplePie
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Good draft IMO. The only thing lacking is a NT, but that can be filled in free agency.

ArlingtonTexan
05-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Very good analysis here.

mugrakers
05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I wonder if Muhammad Wilkerson was available at the 2nd round pick... would they have taken him over reed?

beerlover
05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I wonder if Muhammad Wilkerson was available at the 2nd round pick... would they have taken him over reed?

I'm not sure if its because of the lock-out of just principle but once selected as a Texan the organization seems to have a strict policy about not discussing other players. I did get the impression however that if Aldon Smith was there the Texans would have selected him. Wilkerson would have made one hell of a nose tackle in Wade Phillips system that's for sure & a top 20 rated prospect on most boards. I would have taken him, then traded up again for Brooks. Really love both of them.

PHAROAH
05-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I thought the Texans had very productive draft B+ IMO now it all hinges on what we do in free agency. I think that we still need to spend big on the defensive secondary and Linebacker position for depth. The offense could use a young explosive #2 wr opposite Andre Johnson like packers WR James Jones.

Thorn
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
My guess is we'll right back here next year asking the same questions. I think the Texans improved themselves, but we still have the same head coach.

badboy
05-01-2011, 07:51 PM
1st rd. I got the position right but the player wrong (Cameron Jordan). I understand it now because Wade liked Watt ability to slide inside to DT on a consistent basis which gives the Texans more mobility to shift Mario, Cam would have also been a stand up guy so it makes a lot of sense. Texans had to get tougher on the DL & Watt brings it along with Antonio Smith.

2nd rd. tried & tried to mock Brooks Reed but just didn't think it was realistic he would still be available, scoreboard Texans.

3rd. rd. traded up, something we talk about but its too hard to mock. Brandon Harris is a late 1 early 2nd who's slide allowed the Texans to trade up with New England giving up only a 3rd & 5th.

4th rd. traded down with Washington swapping 4's & giving up a 6th to acquire 2 5's. props to Rick Smith, now that folks, is a New England type move. Also one reason why I gave Rashad Carmichael B+ to complete the CB conversion (waiting still for FA) via the draft while restocking picks is a win win.

5th rd. Guess I have to start the Shiloh Keo fan club or something I just love his spirit & I was a big fan of Pollard as a person too. He is one of the few players in this draft at the safety position who is a born leader by example & embodies the character Texans covet.

5th rd. Had to rely on a fellow draft bud to talk me down out of the tree on this one, but I'm ok with it now. What if he develops into starting QB material? was not in any of our mock drafts because he was rated too high for a 6th/7th rd. grade didn't know the need was that significant but if Kubiak sees an opportunity to get a solid back-up to replace Orlovsky & Leinart then it's a steal.

7th rd. Swing tackle was a need with Butler on the move when FA opens. This makes alot of sense to find a tackle/guard who fits ZBS to develop & bring in depth. Being better than average talent with good line coaching should help him along to make the 53 man roster, not the PS.

7th rd. Character, intelligence, symbolic of what Texans like in a prospect coming out of College. Plays a need position, will get plenty of snaps/reps once camp begins we'll just have to see how hard he works on his own to prepare for this opportunity given. I know there are some quality undrafted free agents still out there but have some patience & expect the Texans to be aggressive players who will identify needs not addressed during the draft like nose tackle, another safety, inside linebacker & a punter.

Obviously I love the job Rick Smith & the entire coaching staff along with the scouting department did to make this 2011 class one which will turn the corner for this organization & give the fans something they've deserved for hanging in there through disappointing times. I'll stand by my grade -AHey draft partner. After being on MB since Thursday, I did not turn 'puter on until just now and went right for your evaluation and it continues to amaze me how much we agree and not just on our players. The top two guys I wanted Jones & Phil Taylor went where you and 65 thought & even me. I was just hoping for a miracle. As you know, I am a big Watt fan & think he was an A. It will be interesting to see how Mario does this year as he seemed to do better when Kubiak got in his face. Now he has competition at his spot. On top of that he is in his last contract year & we should see effort there. On top of that to build this ice cream Sunday I am creating, Mario now has a Co-ordinator that should use Mario to his potential. (This will apply to our DBs also with secondary coach Vance Joseph. Joseph still has to prove it to me, but he HAS to be better than wha we had, doesn't he?)

2. I was also aware of Reed but did not see him avail here. As I have not watched him, I can only go on the glowing reports. He should be fine year one & get only better.

2B. Brandon Harris. My CB. Most posters know of my love for last year's Kyle WIlson and my rant against Kareem. Well, we fixed that problem with this "cover" man-man CB. Still a bit short, Harris has an almost three foot vertical and does not watch the QB to time his move. This is an A+ selection and I was stunned when we trade back up into the second to get him. It was like Wade Phillips validated my eval of this guy. He has starter written all over him.
4. Rashad Carmichael moved off my board after the 40s @ combine. I missed his pro day as like others I was stunned again when he ran 4.39. He has the size and speed with the caveat that his first season will see him nervous as he was at combine. This young man need a firm hand and a father type coach and Phillips fits both. If only KJ had had access to this type coach we may have seen a much different player. More later on that.
5. Keo caught me by surprise & did not know who he was until I saw his face. Kid won my heart (and Deon Sander's) at the combine. His body is perfect for Strong and he is a tank to bring down on returns averaging over 14 yards returning punts. This kid could start by game 3 & says he can play FS. That remains to be seen but if he can only make him more valuable. Feels two needs and if he can start any time this season A++.
5B. No way did I think Yates here as I had him late 4th. I was hoping for Enderle in 6th. He went 5th where I originally mocked him. Yates can be a productive back up especially behind Schaub with Kubiak. B+

badboy
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Something I have to give credt to Houston Chronicle for reminding me, if this season is played under 2010 CBA, Leinart will be restricted and should be back with team. He did nothing to impress me but liked him better than Orslovky who needs to be cut. Hey we need that money for Asomougha, right? I am still tooting the tuba for this Cb who would immediately turn defense around with a vet that would help all our young Dbacks plus shut down one side of field which has to improve line. I think it might intrigue Aso to play for Phillips and our QB, best WR NFL and best RB NFL has to intrigue his desire to get to Super Bowl. Come on Bob, go get him.

Insideop
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
For those of you waiting on the Texans to get the big NT in FA, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I was hoping they would draft one but had a feeling they wouldn't when I kept reading that Wade thinks Cody and Mitchell could be good NT's. They could still pick up Ian Williams as an undrafted FA, a guy most picked to go in the 4th or 5th round, but I doubt they do it. I think they're happy with Cody and Mitchell.

rmartin65
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM
For those of you waiting on the Texans to get the big NT in FA, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I was hoping they would draft one but had a feeling they wouldn't when I kept reading that Wade thinks Cody and Mitchell could be good NT's. They could still pick up Ian Williams as an undrafted FA, a guy most picked to go in the 4th or 5th round, but I doubt they do it. I think they're happy with Cody and Mitchell.

Wade does seem to like Mitchell. I am hoping for a FA to be brought in, and some UDFAs as well. If only for camp competition.

badboy
05-01-2011, 09:24 PM
For those of you waiting on the Texans to get the big NT in FA, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I was hoping they would draft one but had a feeling they wouldn't when I kept reading that Wade thinks Cody and Mitchell could be good NT's. They could still pick up Ian Williams as an undrafted FA, a guy most picked to go in the 4th or 5th round, but I doubt they do it. I think they're happy with Cody and Mitchell.More than huge, fat guy, I want some one with good solid base, tree trunk legs, some bilateral movement, good punch, and upper body strength. He does not have to be 320+. I sure hope Wade is correct on those two Texans. Personally, I like Mitchell but can't see him holding up to the beating the Nose is going to get.

beerlover
05-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Something I have to give credt to Houston Chronicle for reminding me, if this season is played under 2010 CBA, Leinart will be restricted and should be back with team. He did nothing to impress me but liked him better than Orslovky who needs to be cut. Hey we need that money for Asomougha, right? I am still tooting the tuba for this Cb who would immediately turn defense around with a vet that would help all our young Dbacks plus shut down one side of field which has to improve line. I think it might intrigue Aso to play for Phillips and our QB, best WR NFL and best RB NFL has to intrigue his desire to get to Super Bowl. Come on Bob, go get him.

The beauty of this scenario is if the Texans control Leinart they also own his rights if they control his rights they can make a trade. Yates has to make the most of his opportunity, he can take it from Orlovsky, writing's on the wall, why else spend a 5th? at least that's my thinking.

hot pickle
05-01-2011, 09:48 PM
B..

badboy
05-01-2011, 09:58 PM
The beauty of this scenario is if the Texans control Leinart they also own his rights if they control his rights they can make a trade. Yates has to make the most of his opportunity, he can take it from Orlovsky, writing's on the wall, why else spend a 5th? at least that's my thinking.Agreed and to add to our viewing pleasure, Butler and Jacoby. I know Jacoby gets blasted but I am ok with him on roster one more year. If thw new CBA changes the 6 years, this might change.

gafftop
05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
My guess is we'll right back here next year asking the same questions. I think the Texans improved themselves, but we still have the same head coach.

And offensive coordinator.

QB’s are a difficult evaluation but since we have one of the best in Gary Kubiak who is to say he’s wrong taking a QB in the 5th rd.? West Coast style, reads progressions as Texans teach, four full years of starting experience under his belt, so he maybe more NFL ready than most. A couple things I’ve noticed that do remind me of Schaub that I don’t really care for is he holds the ball too long, then tries to force it or take unnecessary hits/sacks, not the most mobile QB either, guess that shouldn’t surprise. Grade

Why is Kubiak so good picking QB's??? He said Carr could do it. WRONG
Then he picked a PAID big money for Orvlosky. Rated to 10 most overpaid in NFL. Grossman beat him out. Why is Kubiak the best in picking QBs.

beerlover
05-01-2011, 11:23 PM
And offensive coordinator.

QB’s are a difficult evaluation but since we have one of the best in Gary Kubiak who is to say he’s wrong taking a QB in the 5th rd.? West Coast style, reads progressions as Texans teach, four full years of starting experience under his belt, so he maybe more NFL ready than most. A couple things I’ve noticed that do remind me of Schaub that I don’t really care for is he holds the ball too long, then tries to force it or take unnecessary hits/sacks, not the most mobile QB either, guess that shouldn’t surprise. Grade

Why is Kubiak so good picking QB's??? He said Carr could do it. WRONG
Then he picked a PAID big money for Orvlosky. Rated to 10 most overpaid in NFL. Grossman beat him out. Why is Kubiak the best in picking QBs.

Carr was damaged goods, he tried, soon after he moved on. No question the extension was a mistake, Gary has made a few of those but so has everybody (just not million dollar ones right?). Orvosky was pulled off the scrape heap, as was Grossman, as was Sage, as was Leinart, these are tough turnarounds some work then some don't. Schaub was a better prospect to begin with & I would say he's developed nicely. How many teams can say that? I think Gary is pretty well respected around the league for his QB development as well as his offensive coordinator abilities. The only question we should still have is if he has the ability to make it as a Head Coach?

Texan_Bill
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Grade The Texan 2011 Draft

I think

B+

Lucky
05-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Orvosky was pulled off the scrape heap...
Orlovsky was given a 3 year $9 million contract. That's one hellava scrap heap.

Kubiak did identify and go after Schaub. And the Rosenfels signing was solid. Gary's evaluation of Carr was a miss, but he was not alone in the league in that assessment. Orlovsky looks like a miss, but he hasn't been needed thus far. Who knows about Leinart. I feel that giving Kubiak a mid round pick for a developmental QB was a good move for the organization, long term.

beerlover
05-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Orlovsky was given a 3 year $9 million contract. That's one hellava scrap heap.

Orlovsky was lucky to get another chance after Detroit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhijWrjy8Uo
He was given what was considered the league average for a back-up QB, then took a pay cut before last season. Safe to say he has underperformed expectations so it was determined to spend a mid round pick on position. Interesting side note on RotoWorld player page http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3227/dan-orlovsky
Orlovsky held off Matt Leinart all season to be Matt Schaub's primary clipboard holder, but nearly $3 million may be too pricey for a backup QB considered league average in that role, at best. Assuming they fill out their extensive need areas on defense, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Texans to invest a mid-round pick on a quarterback. Matt Schaub turns 30 this June. Feb 8, 11:50 AM

Señor Stan
05-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I just tried cherry picking the draft for the top three spots. Honestly, I am hard pressed to come up with anything that would have a bigger impact next year on the Texans new 3-4 defense.

Watt / Reed / Harris is a better haul than anything that I could come up with. Plus it was done without the 20/20 hindsight.

Quinn / Paea / Harris
Amukamara (yeesh) / Bowers / Martez Wilson
Quinn / Bowers / Houston

Good job Texans.

Blake
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Grade: Solid A

I love this draft. Absolutely LOVE. I expect it to rival 2006.

J.J. Watt is being undervalued due to the amount of 5 tech's in the draft. This is a very valuable and highly sought after position for 3-4 defenses. J.J. Watt has all the tools including work ethic, motivation and heart required to be a solid football player. Might seem like a bit of a luxury pick to a team with Antonio Smith and Mario Williams already on the roster but I dont think that either will be full time ends, and with Smith's attitude towards the change you can never be certain that he wont quit on the team and Wade Smith.

Brooks Reed has a relentless motor and unquenchable thirst for sacking the quarterback. Will be a tough transition as it is for all DE's with their hand in the dirt to rush standing up, but Reeds athleticism should make it possible. A senior who had a very good showing at the senior bowl back in February, Reed seems very workman like and coachable.

Brandon Harris. Texans steal of the draft. Harris is a coaches son who has been working towards this his entire life. Has the skills and swagger to add to an already Hurricane loaded roster. Only costing the team a 5th, a deal you cannot pass up.

Trading down in the 4th, picking up a 5th, and turning a 6th into a 5th as well, and still getting a quality corner in Rashad Carmichael. Another sub 5'11" CB that has plently of speed and ability. Rick Smith and co generally strike gold in the 4th, so I am expecting a-lot from this kid.

Not sure about Shiloh Keo. They say he is coachable. A do everything kind of player. A diamond in the rough. Well it doesnt get more rough than an Idaho Vandal. I am just glad we got some safety help.

T.J. Yates. Prototypical stand in the pocket, tall, knows alot about how the Texans run their offense. Would have liked Powe or another defender here, but I am ok with this if it brings a solid backup to Houston, or provides a trade chip in the future.

Derek Newton from Arkansas State seems like good value in the 7th. Makes me wonder if they are worried about losing their swing tackle RB.

Cheta Ozougwu. Not surprised they are adding depth to their pass rush specialists. A local Rice kid. What else can I say? Mr. Irrelevant.

beerlover
05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
In 2006 the Texans owned the first pick & each round thereafter including back to back picks top of the 3rd. Flash forward to 2011 Texans selected 11th then rotated with other 6-10 teams. So to be able to even be mentioned in the same breath as 2006 is quite an accomplishment. :logo: