PDA

View Full Version : Disguising The Blitz

BorrowMe
04-30-2011, 10:18 PM
One thing about the Texans that really irked me alot was that you could always figure out who was coming on the blitz. But now that we have DC Wade Phillips and LB Coach Reggie Herring, will they finally disguise our blitzes?

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2011, 10:24 PM
One thing about the Texans that really irked me alot was that you could always figure out who was coming on the blitz. But now that we have DC Wade Phillips and LB Coach Reggie Herring, will they finally disguise our blitzes?

Now that would be a novel approach indeed.:thinking:

And, yes, I have no doubt that our new D will be based on creating total confusion and chaos...............FOR THE OPPONENT for the first time!

dream_team
04-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I think this is the biggest reason a team should switch to the 3-4.

If you run a 4-3, you HAVE to put pressure on the QB with your front four. If they can't get the job done, and you're forced to blitz, then it is a bit difficult to disguise blitzes from a 4-3.

Historically, Wade has had defenses that put pressure on the QB, so I wouldn't expect anything less next season.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Yes.

I remember when Eugene Wilson first came to the Texans and Dunta Robinson was shocked when Wilson started doing things to disguise the coverages. Our DBs had never really been coached to do that. :toropalm:

I think in this defense, we will be disguising our coverages and blitzes much better than we have in the past.

phantom17
05-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Yep! This is why you HIRE a real DC & a proven one, not your buddies, who are clueless! I still can't believe Smithiak hired some doofus to run the D for the past 5 yrs that they were in charge!:toropalm:

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Yep! This is why you HIRE a real DC & a proven one, not your buddies, who are clueless! I still can't believe Smithiak hired some doofus to run the D for the past 5 yrs that they were in charge!:toropalm:

What's crazy is that for this to have been a "surprise" to Dunta then this has to go back all the way into the C&C era, it's not just the Smithiak defensive coaching staff.

It's just crazy.

phantom17
05-01-2011, 02:46 AM
What's crazy is that for this to have been a "surprise" to Dunta then this has to go back all the way into the C&C era, it's not just the Smithiak defensive coaching staff.

It's just crazy.

Sad but true!:toropalm:

DocBar
05-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Whoa....you mean I won't be able to call out the blitzers before the O is out of the huddle anymore? I guess that could be a good thing. All this time I thought the other teams were listening in on our playcalling.
:toropalm:

Corrosion
05-01-2011, 06:24 AM

You werent saying that when Richard Smith took over the defense in 09 and turned what was the worst defense in the league for the first three games into a top 10 unit from then to the end of the season.

Yes , they took a huge step back defensively in 2010 and yes , much of that is on Richard Smith but a whole heap of it has to be placed at the feet of the other Smith .... Rick that is , for not bringing in any veteran help in the secondary. Expecting the "Kiddie Corps" to get the job done was a recipe for disaster from the get go.

While I typed this post , Kareem Jackson fell down ..... twice. :toropalm:

DocBar
05-01-2011, 06:29 AM
You werent saying that when Richard Smith took over the defense in 09 and turned what was the worst defense in the league for the first three games into a top 10 unit from then to the end of the season.

Yes , they took a huge step back defensively in 2010 and yes , much of that is on Richard Smith but a whole heap of it has to be placed at the feet of the other Smith .... Rick that is , for not bringing in any veteran help in the secondary. Expecting the "Kiddie Corps" to get the job done was a recipe for disaster from the get go.

While I typed this post , Kareem Jackson fell down ..... twice. :toropalm:Didn't Frank Bush run the D in '09 and '10? I think KJ might've tripped over you in that post!!:rake:

Corrosion
05-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Didn't Frank Bush run the D in '09 and '10? I think KJ might've tripped of you in that post!!:rake:

I could have sworn Smith took over in week three of 09 after the Texans allowed 615 rushing yards in the first three games under Bush. :rake:

Edit : Bleh I got them confused ....

record
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I agree with this 100% and believe it the reason why Kubes should of been fired during the off season. He should of hired a proven D coordinator last time instead of his buddy. I am hoping that hiring Wade now and sticking with Kubes will have great results for the Texans, but believe this type of move should of been done two years ago. Kubes is now getting a 3rd chance to hire a DC. He should of recognized his limits earlier in HC career. He is lucky that McNair is a patient man.

b0ng
05-01-2011, 02:34 PM

It's just crazy.

But look at the stuff Capers does now as a DC in Green Bay. It's crazy how mediocre our defense was because he certainly didn't look like he was investing much time with the offense when he was the HC here.

DocBar
05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
But look at the stuff Capers does now as a DC in Green Bay. It's crazy how mediocre our defense was because he certainly didn't look like he was investing much time with the offense when he was the HC here.As has been stated, Capers is a helluva DC, not so much of a HC.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
But look at the stuff Capers does now as a DC in Green Bay. It's crazy how mediocre our defense was because he certainly didn't look like he was investing much time with the offense when he was the HC here.

Lots of times when coordinators become head coaches, the side of the ball that they're supposed to be experts on suck. Capers is a defensive guru, but with Houston his defense sucked (except for some bright spots that first year); Brian Billick, offensive wiz from the Vikings, goes to Baltimore and has a great D but no O; Dungy, defensive genius, goes to Indy and has a great O but a not-so-great D (even though he had built a defensive powerhouse in Tampa.)

If you're a head coach, you've got a fine line between taking over the side of the ball that you know so well vs. letting your coordinator for that side of the ball do their own thing.

ArlingtonTexan
05-01-2011, 08:39 PM

At least in his Dallas years, (IMO) Wade really did not disquise very much. I saw something locally where they really did not blitz much at all from the DBs and moderately from the inside LBers. If I remember where I saw this I will post.