PDA

View Full Version : Project the Texans Defense

ToxicButt
04-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Of course, there's free agency and training camp. But as of right now, is this the Texans Defense?

Defensive Line: Williams, Mitchell, Smith
Reserves: Watt, Cody, Damion James
Commentary: Strong DE rotation, will our NT hold up at POA?

Linebackers: Barwin, DeMeco, Cushing, Reed
Reserves: Mark Andersen, Sharpton, Bentley, Nading
Commentary: Health of Barwin, DeMeco are major questions. As is Cushings ability to produce without PEDs. Starting 4, if healthy, has significant potential.

CBs: FA Veteran, Kareem
Nickel: Brandon Harris
Reserves: Allen, Carmichael, McCain, McMannis
Commentary: A CB1 is sorely needed and would push the rest of the CB crew into their proper slots (like an Ace of a pitching staff)

Safeties: FA Veteran, Quinn
Reserves: Nolan, Keo
Commentary: The new secondary coach's quotes all but assures that Quinn is moving to Safety. The coach seems to appreciate the fact that quality safety play is necessary for the back end to play as a unit. You can argue that a good SF could help Kareem look like a reasonable CB.

EllisUnit
04-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Of course, there's free agency and training camp. But as of right now, is this the Texans Defense?

Defensive Line: Williams, Mitchell, Smith
Reserves: Watt, Cody, Damion James
Commentary: Strong DE rotation, will our NT hold up at POA?

Linebackers: Barwin, DeMeco, Cushing, Reed
Reserves: Mark Andersen, Sharpton, Bentley, Nading
Commentary: Health of Barwin, DeMeco are major questions. As is Cushings ability to produce without PEDs. Starting 4, if healthy, has significant potential.

CBs: FA Veteran, Kareem
Nickel: Brandon Harris
Reserves: Allen, Carmichael, McCain, McMannis
Commentary: A CB1 is sorely needed and would push the rest of the CB crew into their proper slots (like an Ace of a pitching staff)

Safeties: FA Veteran, Quinn
Reserves: Nolan, Keo
Commentary: The new secondary coach's quotes all but assures that Quinn is moving to Safety. The coach seems to appreciate the fact that quality safety play is necessary for the back end to play as a unit. You can argue that a good SF could help Kareem look like a reasonable CB.

ummm everything but this,,,,,WHY would u put K.J back out there and make our best CB from last season in J. Allen a reserve ???? I know people say he sucks BUT what i saw last year was some good coverage skills and our best CB.

gary
04-30-2011, 11:07 PM
ummm everything but this,,,,,WHY would u put K.J back out there and make our best CB from last season in J. Allen a reserve ???? I know people say he sucks BUT what i saw last year was some good coverage skills and our best CB.
If you sign a vet who is much better than Allen then Jackson has to get out there some time being the number one pick and all.

EllisUnit
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
If you sign a vet who is much better than Allen then Jackson has to get out there some time being the number one pick and all.

oh i agree he does need some PT, BUT i dont think he should start. Until he shows 100% improvment i think he should play nickel, our back up Allen/Quinn our the awesome FA CB we sign ;). Just cause he's a number 1 pick dont mean he automatically gets the nod. look at Foster Undrafted FA and he worked his way up, after the season KJac had i feel he needs to work his way back up as well.

BUT if we sign a FA i still say the FA and Allen with Jackson in nickel/back-up.

gary
04-30-2011, 11:18 PM
oh i agree he does need some PT, BUT i dont think he should start. Until he shows 100% improvment i think he should play nickel, our back up Allen/Quinn our the awesome FA CB we sign ;). Just cause he's a number 1 pick dont mean he automatically gets the nod. look at Foster Undrafted FA and he worked his way up, after the season KJac had i feel he needs to work his way back up as well.

BUT if we sign a FA i still say the FA and Allen with Jackson in nickel/back-up.Exactly. If he is working hard then you don't just not play him at all though.

Dutchrudder
04-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I project the Texans defense to be 17th in the league overall for 2011...

Big Lou
04-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Here's the way I see it:

Smith
Cody
Mario

Barwin
Cushing
Demeco
Reed

Aso
Allen
Quinn
Nolan

EllisUnit
05-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Exactly. If he is working hard then you don't just not play him at all though.

i have known a lot of HARD workers who have gotten fired. It takes a little more than hard work to get it. it takes improvement as well. And i didnt say dont play him at all, isaid he should play nickel/back-up. he will still get PT.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2011, 12:25 AM
This is as it stands now...

DL: Mario, Watts, Smith, Mitchell, Cody, D. Lewis

OLB: Reed, Barwin, Nading, Anderson, Adibi
ILB: Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton, Bentley

CB: Jackson, Allen, Harris (nickel), McCain
S: Quinn, Nolan, Barber, Keo

I expect us to go after a vet CB, a vet S, and a vet LB. Maybe multiples at each position.

Rey
05-01-2011, 01:07 AM
If we landed Carlos Rogers and Eric Weddle I'd be good with that. Probably not players that will break the bank, but should be very good players...Definitely upgrades over what we're accustomed to...I'd also go after Manny Lawson for the right price...

---------Mario-Watt-Smith---------
-----Barwin-Demeco-Cushing-Lawson
Rogers-----------------------------Jackson
----------Quinn-----Weddle-----------

Troy could back up both safety spots...Reed both OLB spots and I'd let Allen and Harris battle for the nickel position...

DocBar
05-01-2011, 06:38 AM
I have to agree with this, but I also think we need to see what happens in TC and make KJ earn a starting role. I would rather see Harris sit and KJ play the nickel if he's not ready for a full time starting role. Hell, make everyone of them earn a spot. Put the best player on the field, regardless of draft position.

nytexan
05-01-2011, 09:10 AM
.......Smith - Mitchell - Williams....
......Barwin - Ryans - Cushing - Reed....
..KJ.......................................Ike Taylor..
............Quin........Sensabaugh................ .

My predictions, Taylor from Pittsburgh, Sensabaugh from Dallas

texanhead08
05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I am not sure its a given that Quinn moves to safety until free agency is over and the new defensive staff has a chance to work with the players.

dream_team
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm not going to make any FA guesses... but I'm hoping, just like everyone else, they sign a CB & SS.

DE - Antonio Smith
NT - Earl Mitchell
DE - Mario Williams

JJ Watt will be heavily rotated in. On passing downs, Mitchell will come out, Smith will kick inside, Watt comes in at DE. May also see some looks where Mario will be the OLB, and Watt will be the DE.

OLB - Connor Barwin
ILB - DeMeco Ryans
ILB - Brian Cushing
OLB - Brooks Reed

Big question mark surrounding Barwin, how he's recovering from his injury. Mark Anderson will probably battle him in TC for the starting job.

CB - Kareem Jackson
CB - Jason Allen
FS - Glover Quinn
SS - Dominique Barber

I think Allen will start when the season starts, but I think Brandon Harris will eventually take over that spot. Yes, we're getting even younger in the secondary. I'm hoping the Glover to FS move will really pan out. And I see Dominique Barber beating out Troy Nolan for the SS spot. I'll probably lose some rep for making that statement.