What do you think?

No typos on this one!

Brandon420tx
04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
:toropalm: <--- What I think

MojoMan
04-30-2011, 01:46 PM
From CBS Sports:

TJ Yates (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117404/tj-yates)

Overview

Despite starting the previous three seasons, Yates entered his senior campaign fighting with Bryan Renner for playing time. Not only did Yates win the job, he earned Honorable Mention All-ACC honors as one of the more improved quarterbacks in the country.

His maturity and mental toughness throughout a season most Tar Heel fans would rather forget is sure to impress NFL teams. For Yates to earn a shot in the NFL, teams will have to be impressed with his intangibles, because his lack of ideal arm strength and accuracy makes him tough to grade as anything more than a late-round consideration.

Analysis

Positives: Cerebral quarterback who does the little things well. Extends his arm and carries out the play-action fake well. Possesses enough mobility and pocket sense to feel the pressure coming, step up to avoid it and buy extra time for his receivers to separate. Understands the offense. Shows the confidence and recognition to move defenders with his eyes and make his progressive reads. Good accuracy in the short to intermediate zones. Consistently throws his receivers open on underneath routes. Not a legitimate scrambling threat, but will take what the defense gives him. Has made steady gains throughout his career. Emerged as the unquestioned leader of this team amid plenty of off-field turmoil.

Negatives: Might be maxed out. Doesn't possess the size, athleticism or arm strength most teams are looking for in a developmental prospect. Only average arm strength and accuracy outside of the hashes.

Apparently Gary Kubiak sees things differently.

Hagar
04-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I watched a couple of NC games and he wasn't that good. If we were going to pick a QB, I'd prefer the kid for Alabama, Greg McElroy. I watched several of his games and he good QB. Reminds me of Berney Kosar; no arm strength, good head.

First pick I don't like.

Brandon420tx
04-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Ok venting is over. I do want someone to replace DanO, and that is now my expectation for this guy. At least we have a training camp arm .... wait ... crap lockout

dinkatoid
04-30-2011, 01:53 PM
They brought him up earlier on ESPN, Dilfer said he really liked the guy. He said his mechanics were a train wreck, but if a good team could develop him, he could see him turning into a Tony Romo type QB. I think Kubiak could work with him.

I forgot who said it, but it has been said that its not a bad idea to draft a qb every year in the late rounds. If one turns out and turns into a Kolb type situation (I know he wasnt late round, but has some demand), you have made it worth your while.

TimeKiller
04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
At least Alex Brink was a 7th...WhoTF is this clown?

mariowillshine15
04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I watched him in a few games and he had some nice skills.

Accurate, good release, carried that team through all those suspensions.

In the 5th round? Sure why not

nytexan
04-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Well Kubiak and Smith must have taken over the draft again or Philips had to use the restroom and didn't get back in time for the pick.

A QB with no arm, great pick

:toropalm:

Playoffs
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Pro day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkylkpFRSeI

^warning: Quinn footage as well

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
First pick I dislike. I think he could develop into something, but there are safeties, defensive tackles, and linebackers on the board that I would rather have.

EDIT: Re looked at my board and notes. I cant change my vote, but I would change it to on the fence.

dinkatoid
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
"espn_afcsouth: Kiper said Yates' pocket awareness is 10 times > than Gabbert's. Dilfer loves Yates' release. Calls him a sleeper starter."

Tailgate
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
They loved him on ESPN just now. Dilfer just said he is the only sleeper/possible starter of the "backup" QBs available later in this draft.

stingray
04-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Love this pick. :kingkong::texflag::clown:

TexansFanatic
04-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Aw hell, I just listened to Mel Kiper and Trent Dilfer rave about this guy. Dilfer said Yates is special and is the one sleeper starter in the late rounds at quarterback.

Tremendous pocket awareness, escapability, and quick release.

From Dilfer's enthusiasm alone, I'm very pleased with this pick.

TexansSeminole
04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
LOL @ the negatives listed for TJ Yates. "May have maxed out". That's the last thing I would say about TJ Yates. I saw him play for years at North Carolina and he improved dramatically over the years, maybe more than any other QB in the ACC. He's got a good head, and came up pretty clutch at times for NC. TJ Yates is a good player to develop if your Kubiak, as he has shown that he takes very well to coaching.

I like the player, no doubt. I just really like DeAndre McDaniel as a starting SS for us, but it's looking more and more like not many, if any teams agree with me.

Tailgate
04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Yates highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFHOdE0yio&feature=related

Gotta love the 55 yard bomb under pressure at 1:40.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I like it.

Dan O hasn't developed into the back up we needed.

New project sounds good and unlike Dan O he is not a huge project but a gem to polish.

Has all the upstairs stuff down, just needs some technique work.

texanchris
I actually like this pick. Hopefully he can beat out Orvlosky by the end of the season and be our backup in case schaub goes down. ESPN and NFLN both had great things to say about him so if they like him then i like him.

kiwitexansfan
Yates highlights

Yeah, everyone says he has a noodle for an arm but I thought he made some decent long throws and gets a bit of zip as well.

b0ng
04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
They loved him on ESPN just now. Dilfer just said he is the only sleeper/possible starter of the "backup" QBs available later in this draft.

The problem is. . . Trent Dilfer is an effing moron.

Malloy
04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
From the pos/neg he sounds like a Schaub clone, not too bad IMO if that's the case :)

bo orlando
04-30-2011, 02:27 PM
From the pos/neg he sounds like a Schaub clone, not too bad IMO if that's the case :)

yeah i was going to say, he appears to have ideal footwork and pocket presence for the kubiak offense. his arms appears to need some development, but it's easy to see why kubiak wants him. unfortunately, you have to wonder if kubiak will be around long enough to fully develop him.

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Still a lot of players left that I like. I think this is a good pick here with the extra 5th we got. A great developmental QB guy that Kubiak can work with.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2011, 02:31 PM
My initial reaction was to hate this pick.

But after hearing that so many people like this kid and the reasons why, I'm actually pretty good with it. So I like.

Honoring Earl 34
04-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I feel like I'm cleaning out the garage . Let's see ... to the dump goes

Dan O and Matt L
Okoye , Nading
Molden , Barber

Who else ?

Spled
04-30-2011, 02:34 PM
He completed 110 of 112 passes on pro day.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Given Yates has time to sit and learn with a very good teacher and mentor, Yates could end up having a better career than A LOT of other QBs taken earlier.

I am getting higher and higher on this pick.

Like more than Carmichael and Keo.

eriadoc
04-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I feel better about the Yates pick right now than I bet Pats fans felt about Brady on draft day. And that doesn't mean I'm comparing him to Tom Brady, for those of you who struggle with the English language.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2011, 02:54 PM
ProFootballWeekly video analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZzoJLQw47s

I hope that we haven't chosen a QB with a strong noodle upstairs (wonderlic 34) and with an arm that would be better suited to float in a soup bowl along with some tastey pieces of chicken.

eriadoc
04-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I hope that we haven't chosen a QB with a strong noodle upstairs (wonderlic 34) and with an arm that would be better suited to float in a soup bowl along with some tastey pieces of chicken.

From the little bit of video they showed on ESPN, he was hitting receivers in stride down the field. They didn't have to slow up to wait for the ball. ESPN didn't show a 15-yd. out, so I guess we'll have to see, but I doubt he has a noodle arm.

badboy
04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
good at the play option. Let's get the ball to AJ, OD, Dreesen, Foster, Tate or Slaton and allow them to get it down the field. I want an accurate passer over a long passer.

Dutchrudder
04-30-2011, 03:05 PM
I know UNC's offensive line wasn't great this year, but I have seen several defensive players highlights sacking Yates... :)

In any case, this is a 'meh' pick to me. Probably could have gotten him in the 7th, but that's ok. 5-7th rounds shouldn't be anything spectacular.

b0ng
04-30-2011, 03:05 PM
TJ Yates was not a good QB in college :/

beerlover
04-30-2011, 03:18 PM
ok had some time to calm down along with copious amounts of beer so taking those items into consideration, the Yates pick means Matt Leinart is not expected to be retained once CBA agreement reached & free agency begins. That's #1. #2 this is the last year of Orlovsky's contract. Hence #3 Yates will not be exposed to PS (where another team can steal him) & will make the opening day roster. there, I said it.

False Start
04-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Dont know a darn thing about him, he does have my family name, so thats kind of cool...I guess. :thinking:

ATXtexanfan
04-30-2011, 03:20 PM
get dan O outta here

Norg
04-30-2011, 05:32 PM
**** dis **** Im mad We don't need a qb. ESP for a 5th round pick. We need some much more help in other areas :toropalm:

SheTexan
04-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Daddy Bob staying true to his alma mater! JMO!

JCTexan
04-30-2011, 05:55 PM
**** dis **** Im mad We don't need a qb. ESP for a 5th round pick. We need some much more help in other areas :toropalm:

:toropalm: it's a fifth round pick. Why not take a developmental QB to groom behind Schaub?

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Daddy Bob staying true to his alma mater! JMO!

FWIW he went to South Carolina. Lol

Norg
04-30-2011, 07:56 PM
:toropalm: it's a fifth round pick. Why not take a developmental QB to groom behind Schaub?

Because we were 6 -10 last year !!!!!!!!!!

Kubes got like 16 weeks left to prove he's a winner or else he's kicked outta town

Kubes won't have no time to groom somebody when he's out of work !!!!!

And schaub !!! Wants kubes leaves it will only be a matter of time before wade wants to bring in his own qb to tie the hip with

dtran04
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
If you read the conference call quotes, North Carolina basically ran the Texans offense the past couple of years. If you watch the highlights, the plays are basically the same.

Corrosion
05-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I watched some video on this kid ... He's got a really quick release and is very accurate. He hasnt had much protection , the pocket was chaotic to say the least. He found ways to escape or get rid of the ball on target even if he took a big hit in the process .....

Considering he will play behind Schaub and be under the eye of a very good QB coach in Kubiak , I like his chances to work out in the long run.

He was the last QB on the board at the time that has the potential to start in the NFL .... I really like this pick.

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I have to share this impression which I must admit accurately reflected my own initial "what the.....?" impression of the pick.

BAD JUKEBOX SONG PICK (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/05/houston_texans_2011_draft_summ.php): T.J. Yates, QB, North Carolina (5th round, 152nd overall). The draft seemed to be going along just fine, Wade Phillips was cruising along steering the ship, picking defensive player after defensive player (five in a row to start the draft), and then apparently he ceded control for one pick. And presto, T.J. Yates is a Texan! I'm not crazy about Yates, and the franchise's history drafting quarterbacks has been less than stellar. This was the equivalent of...well, you know how when you're hanging out at a bar and one of your buddies has control of the jukebox? And he plays five really good songs in a row, and decides to let one of your friends with a very dull, almost nonexistent musical ear pick a song? And you wind up with a death metal song completely undercutting the mood in the room? Well, T.J. Yates was death metal for me.

beerlover
05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Bleecher Report ranks their impressions of how successful a career this class of 2011 QB's will become & grade T.J. Yates #9. Found it somewhat interesting enough to share - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/698807-nfl-draft-2011-will-cam-newton-have-most-successful-career-of-all-rookie-qbs/page/10

9. Taylor Yates

T.J. Yates comes in as a backup to Matt Schaub. As a result, he will get plenty of time to learn the game.

Yates is a solid prospect who has good upside, but he is far from ready to be a starting quarterback.

He most likely ends up as a career backup, but he will be a backup you can depend on.

Corrosion
05-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Bleecher Report ranks their impressions of how successful a career this class of 2011 QB's will become & grade T.J. Yates #9. Found it somewhat interesting enough to share - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/698807-nfl-draft-2011-will-cam-newton-have-most-successful-career-of-all-rookie-qbs/page/10

Beer - didnt see you say much about Yates as a player , just that ML would likely be gone and Yates makes the final roster - what do you think of him as a prospect ?

IDEXAN
05-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I also saw Dilfer rave about this guy during ESPNs Draft show, so perhaps that's worth something ? Atleast Kubiak isn't the only guy who likes him.
But re our QB situation, I'm still trying to figure out why they retained DanO while releaseing Grossman ?

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
I also saw Dilfer rave about this guy during ESPNs Draft show, so perhaps that's worth something ? Atleast Kubiak isn't the only guy who likes him.
But re our QB situation, I'm still trying to figure out why they retained DanO while releaseing Grossman ?

DanO was signed to a multi-year contract and Grossman to a 1 year deal. Grossman wanted the chance to start and knew he wasn't going to get that chance here.

So when little Shanny went to Washington to install the same offense and with no incumbent QB and a new offense, he had a chance to start.

beerlover
05-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Beer - didnt see you say much about Yates as a player , just that ML would likely be gone and Yates makes the final roster - what do you think of him as a prospect ?

To be honest QB was not even on my list for the Texans, my focus was defense driven, so many needs & holes to fill so my initial reaction was one of displeasure & shock. I did have the Texans taking a flyer w/QB prospect in my last mock (Mr. Irrelevant pick -Scott Tolzien - who went undrafted) but was not prepared to invest a 5th rd. pick on that position.

T.J. Yates is much like Schaub in his drops, not the most mobile QB either. But in the classic pocket passer mold, he sets-up clean & reads through his progressions. We've all read by now they used the same system in Carolina so that is a big asset to Kubiak, more ready made than most any other QB for this system in his class. He lacks arm strength, especially when compared to Orlovsky but shows better pocket composure & decision making, hence if he can get into camp sooner than later he can develop on a fast track to win the back-up role, if however the lockout keeps everyone strung out he is unlikely to develop quick enough so even working his butt off will have to prove he is worth a roster spot as third on depth chart.

badboy
05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I preferred Nathan Enderle from Idaho who went 160 to CHicago.

beerlover
05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I preferred Nathan Enderle from Idaho who went 160 to CHicago.

Yates is more Pro-ready. Enderle may end up better but that is only a projection, odds are kinda stacked against him in Chicago that's an exceptionally tough situation to play in the windy city.

badboy
05-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Yates is more Pro-ready. Enderle may end up better but that is only a projection, odds are kinda stacked against him in Chicago that's an exceptionally tough situation to play in the windy city.Interesting, I have Enderle more pro ready by slight margin but probably because I have watched him actually play games and Yates, everything came after we drafted him. Anyway, I think playing behind a solid starter will benefit each. Yates is a Texan and my guy now.

Corrosion
05-13-2011, 07:00 PM
To be honest QB was not even on my list for the Texans, my focus was defense driven, so many needs & holes to fill so my initial reaction was one of displeasure & shock. I did have the Texans taking a flyer w/QB prospect in my last mock (Mr. Irrelevant pick -Scott Tolzien - who went undrafted) but was not prepared to invest a 5th rd. pick on that position.

T.J. Yates is much like Schaub in his drops, not the most mobile QB either. But in the classic pocket passer mold, he sets-up clean & reads through his progressions. We've all read by now they used the same system in Carolina so that is a big asset to Kubiak, more ready made than most any other QB for this system in his class. He lacks arm strength, especially when compared to Orlovsky but shows better pocket composure & decision making, hence if he can get into camp sooner than later he can develop on a fast track to win the back-up role, if however the lockout keeps everyone strung out he is unlikely to develop quick enough so even working his butt off will have to prove he is worth a roster spot as third on depth chart.

I have to agree with the initial reaction .... I wasnt thrilled y any stretch of the imagination.

Your evaluation is about right on Yates the player. Lots of things to like about him. His transition to the Texans playbook will be more terminology than anything else.

One of the biggest things I saw from him in watching tape was how well he performed when under durress , which was the vast majority of the time. He didnt let pressure get to him and his release is very sudden allowing him to get rid of the ball almost instantly.

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2011, 07:44 PM
As I try to warm up to this pick, I am constantly reminded that Yates averaged almost 12 interceptions each season at UNC against 15 touchdowns within his four years as a full-time starter.

Corrosion
05-13-2011, 07:52 PM
As I try to warm up to this pick, I am constantly reminded that Yates averaged almost 12 interceptions each season at UNC against 15 touchdowns within his four years as a full-time starter.

He didnt have a lot of protection .... that contributed to the INT numbers. He seemed to be under durress on almost every play.

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2011, 08:29 PM
He didnt have a lot of protection .... that contributed to the INT numbers. He seemed to be under durress on almost every play.

Valid point. But I still have to wonder if it will occur with adequate protection. That can only be determined once he gets out on the field......if he ever does.

gary
05-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I am on board with this pick I think as long as he is not related to anyone named Andrea. I kid I think.

Carr Bombed
05-13-2011, 10:44 PM

??? The backup QB/developmental QB position was a known need for this team going into the draft...a lot of people here talked about it. (I expected them to target a QB around where they did.....how the hell could anybody not with their targeted FA backup QB getting beat out of his job every offseason by street FAs) Seriously, how people are shocked by this pick is confusing and surprising...it wasn't that hard to see coming.

The Yates pick was one of my favorite picks in the draft, at worst I think he'll be able to develop into a Sage Rosenfels type backup.......which is a pretty good backup who you don't worry about getting put in as a pinch starter. At best he's a player who can push for a starting spot in this league. So all in all, it was a savvy pick and a NEEDED pick for the Texans. Dan O needs to go and Lienart will most likely move on elsewhere as well. The Texans needed to spend a pick on this position and I'm glad they did.

If the QB position is the most important position in all of sports, the backup QB position is high up there as well, because when a injury takes place, you'll be praying for a good #2 option.

Carr Bombed
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Those #s don't mean much to me (They would have if T.J. Yates was drafted in the first 3 rounds), but T.J. Yates wasn't drafted on his whole body of work. He was drafted because of his senior season where he looked like a completely different player than he did his freshman and junior season (he was hurt as a sophomore), so those #s are irrelevant and I can see why the Texans would take a flier on him based off the improvement he showed last season...his gains and improvement were through the roof. Any QB that you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious question marks, but if the mental aspect of the game is half the battle than we already have half the battle won.

Also I don't see much of a difference (if at all) in the arm strength of Yates and Schaub. I actually think Yates can gain a little arm strength if he corrects that horrible throwing motion. It looks like he's pushing the ball, instead of throwing it. Some of his throws just don't look right and I think that's the biggest weakness he has.

beerlover
05-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Those #s don't mean much to me (They would have if T.J. Yates was drafted in the first 3 rounds), but T.J. Yates wasn't drafted on his whole body of work. He was drafted because of his senior season where he looked like a completely different player than he did his freshman and junior season (he was hurt as a sophomore), so those #s are irrelevant and I can see why the Texans would take a flier on him based off the improvement he showed last season...his gains and improvement were through the roof. Any QB that you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious question marks, but if the mental aspect of the game is half the battle than we already have half the battle won.

Also I don't see much of a difference (if at all) in the arm strength of Yates and Schaub. I actually think Yates can gain a little arm strength if he corrects that horrible throwing motion. It looks like he's pushing the ball, instead of throwing it. Some of his throws just don't look right and I think that's the biggest weakness he has.

In Golf they call it steering, I guess pushing is accurate, but Ben Roethlisberger did the same thing his rookie year & still won a Super Bowl.

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2011, 07:33 AM
In Golf they call it steering, I guess pushing is accurate, but Ben Roethlisberger did the same thing his rookie year & still won a Super Bowl.

Exactly. Ben could get by with this because of his incredible arm strength.

ObsiWan
05-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Yates highlights

Yates is okay but who the hell is that #83??!! Pick him up too.

Corrosion
05-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Yates highlights

The play at 0:45 - taking a lot of heat from behind and throws corner fade for a TD with a defender hanging all over him.

At 3:35 - Another play with a defender hanging on him - for a score.

The play at 4:12 shows his quick release ..... defender bearing down upon him , lets it fly at the last moment taking a big shot that results in a big gain.

The one thing I worry about when messing with his mechanics is slowing down his release which is one of his major strengths. He might not have a cannon for an arm but he's pretty accurate and usually puts the ball where only his recievers can get it .....

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Sorry ObsiWan. He decided not to come out this year. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83240&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

eriadoc
05-14-2011, 09:57 PM
We're talking about a FIFTH round pick. I'm 100% on board with the pick. If they had taken him with a 4th or earlier, I wouldn't be quite so much. But 5th-7th round picks are typically projected to be backups, specialty players, ST aces, and/or flops. This team needs a QB they can groom for the future, whether that future be a backup to Schaub or a projecte starter somewhere. I'd rather that process start while Kubiak is still here. The fact that this guy comes from a college program that runs a very similar offense is great. The fact that he has a quick release is awesome. The fact that he's operated under duress in college means the speed of the NFL might not be quite as overwhelming as you'd expect for a 5th rounder.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm really optimistic for Yates. I think it was a great pick.

thunderkyss
05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I was puzzled by the pick. Upset really.

Watching the highlights though, I still don't like the pick, but I like the kid.

He looks much more athletic than Schaub & his arm looks much stronger, some of the throws he made without setting his feet under him.....

I hope he isn't satisfied with being a back-up & works his butt off & prepares to start some day.

Lucky
05-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I read up on Yates a little, and found that his QB coach at UNC was longtime NFL QB coach John Shoop (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shoop_john00.html). Shoop has spent time as QB coach for Carolina, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Oakland. You hear draftniks throw out terms such as "NFL ready" and such. Well, TJ has been tutored by a NFL experienced coach.

I wanted to see a defensive draft. The initial 5 selections, and 6 of 8 overall, satisfied me. The Texans needed a young QB to groom as a backup, as well as a young swing Tackle. Whether these were the right guys remains to be seen. But, I agree completely with the thought process.

Knowing what I know now (moving Mario to OLB), I have zero issues with this draft. Still, I reserve the right to blast it if these players fail to develop and help the Texans win. Because it's not about what I would have done. It's about what the Texans did. They have no room for error.

badboy
05-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I am on board with this pick I think as long as he is not related to anyone named Andrea. I kid I think.You didn't? Yes you did!! Wahhahaha! That's a good one Gary! You won't believe this but my son used to deliver Italian food their home before that tragic day.

gary
05-14-2011, 11:15 PM
You didn't? Yes you did!! Wahhahaha! That's a good one Gary! You won't believe this but my son used to deliver Italian food their home before that tragic day.I knew someone with the last name Yates and right after it happened people would call her at random and leave messages asking if she was Andrea and then they would say stuff like tell her it's the medicine and to get off of it they know because they had family on the same meds and on and on they would go. She was not related to Andrea but she sure did receive those phone calls right afterwards and she would tell the callers no, this is not Andrea she's in jail. Ms. Yates was my school bus attendant on the way home from school in 8th grade so on the way home she would tell me about those phone calls everyday and it was really funny the calls and the stories she told me. Sorry to go way off topic but it was a hoot to say the least so I wanted to share it since we are on thee subject.

painekiller
05-15-2011, 03:20 AM
I hated the pick when it happened. I looked up the kid because I did very little scouting of the QBs.

After I started remembering some of the Carolina games and how he had done a nice job in a bad situation, and reading how he played in a West Coast Offense, I now like the pick.

But my initial reaction was not so nice. :vincepalm:

painekiller
05-15-2011, 03:50 AM
double post

CloakNNNdagger
05-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Looks like Yates and Orlovsky.

Can you see where I am going with this one? Simple really, Carroll needs a quarterback -- badly -- and Leinart badly needs a job. Heck, if going to Seattle rejuvenated wide receiver Mike Williams' career, imagine what it could do for Leinart?

Imagine the lovey-dovey press conference with Carroll extolling the virtues of Leinart, and the quarterback believing that being reunited with Carroll means his career is back on track. But once the press conference is over, would anyone besides Carroll and Leinart think it will work? I sure don't. And it has nothing to do with Carroll or new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. It has all to do with Leinart.

Leinart's poor work habits were legendary when he was first with the Cardinals. Once he matured and stayed away from the hot tub, his main problem went from work ethic to his overall physical skills to play the position. He became the king of the check down in Arizona, refusing to hold the ball, not being able to process quickly or deliver the ball in a timely fashion. He was often wild high and just plain wild.

His teammates in Arizona never came to his support when coach Ken Whisenhunt was clearly setting the stage for Leinart's eventual release. He spent all of last season with the Texans, but never ran a play in a game. Then Houston went ahead and selected Taylor Yates in the fifth round, clearly sending the signal to Leinart that his time with the organization had ended.

All of which sets the stage for us to connect the dots: Carroll and Leinart reunited in Seattle. It might happen, but I am fairly confident it won't work because Leinart is not up to the task.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fd06f1/article/a-leinartcarroll-reunion-wouldnt-solve-qb-issues-in-seattle?module=HP_cp2

Corrosion
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I hated the pick when it happened. I looked up the kid because I did very little scouting of the QBs.

After I started remembering some of the Carolina games and how he had done a nice job in a bad situation, and reading how he played in a West Coast Offense, I now like the pick.

But my initial reaction was not so nice. :vincepalm:

I think we all had that reaction at the time of the pick .... It took looking at him closer to see he was worth the gamble.

The Pencil Neck
05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I think we all had that reaction at the time of the pick .... It took looking at him closer to see he was worth the gamble.

Yeah, I know I did.

I hadn't really looked at ANY QBs in this draft because it was just about the last position (besides TE) that I expected us to draft. So when they picked a QB that early, I was pretty pissed off.

I got over it pretty quick, though.

beerlover
05-15-2011, 09:41 PM
now that we've all processed the pick we can move on. if the NFL owners & players union agree :thisbig:

awtysst
05-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I seem to recall a lone voice minutes after the selection was made on draft day talking about how he was a solid choice and that he had the makings of a solid backup.

I seem to recall almost everyone else killing the Texans, yet this one lone voice assured the group that he was a solid player.

Now, if I could just remember who that person was...

beerlover
05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
I seem to recall a lone voice minutes after the selection was made on draft day talking about how he was a solid choice and that he had the makings of a solid backup.

I seem to recall almost everyone else killing the Texans, yet this one lone voice assured the group that he was a solid player.

:spin:

awtysst
05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
:spin:

As The Todd would say, "Self High Five"

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50253_290096331839_3783642_n.jpg

beerlover
05-15-2011, 11:32 PM

can you drink it? if you can, would you pay for it? remember who your talking to so far this stick has offered little in return, hence heading back to the former.:worldpeace:

The Pencil Neck
05-15-2011, 11:39 PM

Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? The guy that drives the Diet Dr. Pepper truck?

76Texan
05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I really like this pick.
Yates looks better than several QBS drafted earlier.

His mechanics are just fine.
He can throw 48-52 yards (from the LOS) with ease.
He can move and slide against pressure while still keeping his eyes downfield better than Gabbert and many other QBs in this draft.
He has the soft touch in the short passes.
He can throw well on the run.
He's more mobile than Schaub.

True, he had a terrible game against VTech.
But none of his 4 Ints were terrible.
One was due to the CB taking it as the ball bounced off the receivers' hand.
One was a good play by the CB away from playside on a drop kick call (I will get to this as it shows how the Texans failed last year.)
One was a good play by the safety who were challenged by two vertical routes.
And one was due to the outside CB releasing his man to go help the nickel back.

76Texan
05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
This is the diagram of the drop-kick call that VTech used to get the INT by the CB away from play side.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/Dropkik_VT.gif

In one of the Texans games (Chargers ?), the LCB Jackson was blamed for allowing a TD as FS Wilson stepped down to play the slant route, and RCB Quin dropped back deep covering air in the far deep right of the defense.

76Texan
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Imagine Jackson as the LCB, Wilson as the FS in the middle, and Quin as the RCB.

The TE is on the left side of the offensive formation.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/1-Singlesafety.png

76Texan
05-17-2011, 01:02 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/2-Receiverinmotion.png

The receiver on Quin's side went into motion and eventually would fake a reverse.

RCB Quin followed inside toward and behind the nickel (not sure if he was a nickel or the SS or the SAM.)

76Texan
05-17-2011, 01:05 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/3-PAfakeandreverse.png

The offense faked a run and also a reverse.
The receiver on the eventual play side relased along with the TE.
The RCB started to follow him.

76Texan
05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/4-Safetystepsup.png

Notice that the FS started to come down to play the run and the reverse.

76Texan
05-17-2011, 01:08 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/5-Safetydropsback.png

However, when he read pass, the FS started dropping back.
The RCB was already deep, out of this picture.

76Texan
05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/6-Safetycutsofftheslantroute.png

The FS cut off the slant rooute by the TE.

76Texan
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/Yates%20vs%20VTech/INT%201/7-RCBcomesover.png

The LCB trailed to the outside of the deep receiver;
the RCB bracketed him deep to the inside.
By this time, the ball was already in the air.
The QB probably thought that the receiver would be open (and that defense were the Texans).
RCB picked off the ball as Yates threw inside (away from the LCB).

EVOLVIST
12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
People slag off on dead threads. But I like them. As a writer I love the history: These capsules in time, when they are relevant.

For what it's worth, it's worthy of applause that most peeps in here backed the pick (for better or worse).

The reliable 76Texan even broke out the ol' pen and paper, and Cloak has his level head on.

But also, there are some articles and commentary at the time that I thought was interesting and strangely ironic.

Doppelganger
12-14-2011, 04:16 PM

I will give you you your due sir. You said he was solid whereas others were killing him in the instant reaction. Your projection was actually a little lower as he looks more than a solid backup but way to stick your neck out there!

Porky
12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
At least Alex Brink was a 7th...WhoTF is this clown?

This must be the clown who has led us to victory's over the Falcons and Bengals. Is that the clown of which you speak?

thunderkyss
12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I was puzzled by the pick. Upset really.

Watching the highlights though, I still don't like the pick, but I like the kid.

He looks much more athletic than Schaub & his arm looks much stronger, some of the throws he made without setting his feet under him.....

I hope he isn't satisfied with being a back-up & works his butt off & prepares to start some day.

I didn't think I contributed to this thread at all, but it looks like I was spot on.

Thorn
12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I looked to see how I voted, and I didn't vote for some reason. Oh well. Any reaction to Yates at the time, good or bad, is normal for us. And besides, we all know by now that that it doesn't matter what round the player is taken in, they could be bust or boom once they see real action.

Playoffs
12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I really like this pick.
Yates looks better than several QBS drafted earlier.

His mechanics are just fine.
He can throw 48-52 yards (from the LOS) with ease.
He can move and slide against pressure while still keeping his eyes downfield better than Gabbert and many other QBs in this draft.
He has the soft touch in the short passes.
He can throw well on the run.
He's more mobile than Schaub.

True, he had a terrible game against VTech.
But none of his 4 Ints were terrible.
One was due to the CB taking it as the ball bounced off the receivers' hand.
One was a good play by the CB away from playside on a drop kick call (I will get to this as it shows how the Texans failed last year.)
One was a good play by the safety who were challenged by two vertical routes.
And one was due to the outside CB releasing his man to go help the nickel back.

This is why 76Texan gets paid the big bucks! :goodpost:

rmartin65
12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I'll own up to being wrong on this one. Woops.

In my defense, my reaction to the pick was based on position, not the player.

eriadoc
12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
The fact that this guy comes from a college program that runs a very similar offense is great. The fact that he has a quick release is awesome. The fact that he's operated under duress in college means the speed of the NFL might not be quite as overwhelming as you'd expect for a 5th rounder.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm really optimistic for Yates. I think it was a great pick.

I am happy that the things I saw out of him from the little exposure I had back then have panned out to be the same strengths I see in him now that he's playing in the NFL.

ObsiWan
12-15-2011, 02:32 AM

Sorry ObsiWan. He decided not to come out this year. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83240&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

Whoever that #83 kid was, we need to look at him for this upcoming draft.
Edit:
Dwight Jones: 2nd team All-ACC; 11 receiving TDs, over 1,100 yds receiving; 6'-4"/225# = nice red zone threat...
T.J. to D.J. ...I like the sound of that.

buddyboy
12-15-2011, 02:41 AM
Funny how most people didn't dislike Yates, they disliked drafting a QB.

We didn't see it as a "need" at the time... strange how things played out.

escrimador
12-15-2011, 02:55 AM
I guess Dilfer is a genius now:joker:

ObsiWan
12-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Funny how most people didn't dislike Yates, they disliked drafting a QB.

We didn't see it as a "need" at the time... strange how things played out.

I wasn't a fan of picking a QB but I wasn't surprised by it. Kubiak has been looking for a QB to groom - or maybe just a "camp arm" - in nearly every draft. The fact that he didn't use the 7th round pick as he'd done in past years was a clue that I didn't pick up on at the time.
:chef:

SteveSlaton20
12-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Didn't vote for some reason...

*likes the pick*

97roc
12-15-2011, 06:19 AM
I didn't vote either. I do remember my initial reaction being 'WTH, really??' But then I realized he could replace Dan-O and felt a warm and tingly sensation.