PDA

View Full Version : Shilo Keo- Reaction to the pick?

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 01:21 PM
First pick in the 5th.

Ryan
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know anything about any of these guys out of the 1st 3 rounds so i'll just stick with my "on the fence" vote. :toropalm:

GP
04-30-2011, 01:24 PM
LOL.

I liked it JUST because we went defense. AGAIN.

I freaking love it. Now I want to see us go defense for the entire rest of the draft. Nothing but defense. D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, ........

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 01:26 PM
On the fence. I like going to the safety position, but I am not a fan of Keo. While he is an effort guy, he is not physically gifted. He tops out as a ST/backup guy.

EDIT- Again, typing too fast. I left the "h" off of his name. Shiloh Keo

Austrian
Wasn't that the guy Deion Sanders really liked during the drils in the combine?

Rey
From what I've read about him he seems like a very physical player...More of a SS type...

I think he will probably make his niche on special teams for us...

Mr teX
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
My reaction....Who? Lol, i guess that's my cue to turn the draft off b/c i don't know many of these guys coming off the board now.

kiwitexansfan
Suspect he will make the team as a ST but don't see him starting.

MojoMan
From CBS Sports:

Shilo Keo (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137501)

Overview

At under 6 feet tall but a solid 215 pounds, Keo looks the part of a future NFL defensive back. He did a little bit of everything with the Vandals, as Keo's ability to impact the game as a big-hitter and ball-hawk on defense as well as a special teams defender and returner made him a WAC standout from the beginning.

He has flaws in his game that could be exposed against NFL speed. A team will fall in love with his toughness and leadership and take a gamble on him in the late rounds. To make it in the pro game, Keo will need to impress early on special teams and convince a club that his penchant for big plays make up for his lack of ideal agility and speed in coverage.
Analysis

Positives: Good bulk and strength for the position. Physical defender who isn't afraid to stick in his nose in the pile. Good team defender. Willing to take out the legs of charging offensive linemen and trust his teammates to make the easy tackle. Can be a physical tone-setter across the middle, providing heavy hits to unsuspecting receivers and backs. Enough athleticism to stick with most backs and tight ends in coverage. Versatile, gutty performer whose leadership on and off the field is respected by his teammates. Two-time team captain (2009, 2010) and served as the Special Teams captain in 2008. Strong special teams performer.

Negatives: Might lack the athleticism to handle coverage responsibilities in the NFL. Is a tough defender, but isn't particularly instinctive and doesn't possess the fluidity and straight-line speed to mask his lack of awareness. Can lay the big hit on an unsuspecting ballcarrier, but to do so generally has to leave his feet and has a tendency to duck his head and rely on the collision to knock the ballcarrier to the ground, rather than wrapping his arms securely.

beerlover
04-30-2011, 01:28 PM
#1 he is a football player, kinda of the common theme in Wade Phillips first draft as defensive coordinator. He will do what he's told when he's told not questions asked.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Shiloh Keo is a good football player. I like this pick.

He doesn't have great measurables but he's an effort guy.

Showtime100
For me anything 5th round and beyond is almost mandatory "on the fence" until training camp starts. He seems to know where the football is going to be and that's a good sign.

On a completely different thought, I'm beginning to think we'll never get rid of Casey Studdard. :rake:

nytexan
Definitely a special teams and SS pickup. I thought Jerrell Powe would go here for sure. If you're not starting in the secondary your football life is in danger for the Texans next year with all these picks.

Profootball weekly report:

Positives: Thickly built with natural mass bench-pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the Combine. Drops downhill hard and craves contact. Understands run fits and is a solid tackler. Surprisingly good feet and short-area quickness tested the best of any safety in the short shuttle (3.9 seconds) and 3-cone drill (6.55 seconds) at the Combine. Intense competitor. Good football temperament. Football-smart. Has a special-teams coverage mentality and good run strength.

Negatives: Has short arms and does not have a cut physique carrying a soft midsection and nearly 20 percent body fat, easily the highest of any defensive back at the Combine. Tight-hipped with below-average speed and suddenness. Limited range and cover skills. Does not intimidate physically. Average leaping ability. Instincts and diagnostic skills are just average freelances too much, takes chances and gives up some big plays. Has a sense of entitlement that could rub some people the wrong way.

Summary: Tightly wound, physical, intense downhill safety best utilized as an extra linebacker in the box. Is not as athletic or as well-conditioned as Ravens 08 third-rounder Tom Zbikowski but similarly projects as an effective run defender and core special-teams player.

NFL projection: Fourth- to fifth-round pick.

GP
04-30-2011, 01:31 PM
From mojo's post:

Willing to take out the legs of charging offensive linemen and trust his teammates to make the easy tackle.

WTH? WOW!

Willing to dive at blockers' legs and free up other tacklers to make the play.

That's awesomeness. Just submarine a blocker on a sweep/toss or on a screen pass, taking the blocker out of the picture, and letting others come in and nab the carrier.

I luv it.

rmartin65
#1 he is a football player, kinda of the common theme in Wade Phillips first draft as defensive coordinator. He will do what he's told when he's told not questions asked.

True, but do you see him as a player with starting potential? I know this late in the draft you dont try for home runs every pick, but we have needs at other positions. In my eyes, Keo tops out as a backup and ST guy. I dont dislike the pick, but I dont particularly like it either.

kiwitexansfan
Gomes really?

Didn't think he would go this early, more of a safety/LB tweener.

Prefer Hagg.

Go Big Red anyway!

GP
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I would say that almost every starter on offense is safe and has a job.

Nobody on defense is safe. Maybe Mario is, that'd be an exception I guess.

So many picks on defense. Wow.

False Start
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Never heard of him, I guess its time to do some research. :hacker:

badboy
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
On the fence. I like going to the safety position, but I am not a fan of Keo. While he is an effort guy, he is not physically gifted. He tops out as a ST/backup guy.

EDIT- Again, typing too fast. I left the "h" off of his name. Shiloh Keomy eval too, I am aware of him but not on my board. Hope he plays ST

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 01:34 PM
McShay loves him.

beerlover
04-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know the situation of what happened up there in Dallas but when the players quit on Wade, it had to hurt. He must have vowed, if he ever had a chance to impact his player profile he would take only football players who played out of love for the game. This draft represents players who don't quit & there could be a direct correlation made which really benefits the Texan organization moving forward. I have a real positive, strong feeling moving forward about this draft class having immediate impact & longterm impact.
:logo:

Playoffs
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
He's a football player, playmaker ...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e8cd4f

badboy
04-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Wait a minute. SOmeone who watched the combine chime in. Keo is the guy that all the announcers were talking about as playing 120%. If this is the kid I'm thinking about he will bring more effort than anyone on the roster. I hope this is the same guy.

TimeKiller
Like to hear the physical nature of his game but 20 % body fat?

You're a pro athlete now. I guess it's time to work on that huh?

Hagar
shilo keo hit on coughlin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4olni5QHo)

It looks like he got flagged for this hit, but its still a good one.

Batman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gb-OblFsVk)

Then of course, every team needs on of these; Shiloh Keo as BATMAN

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Wait a minute. SOmeone who watched the combine chime in. Keo is the guy that all the announcers were talking about as playing 120%. If this is the kid I'm thinking about he will bring more effort than anyone on the roster. I hope this is the same guy.

I did not watch it all, but it sounds about right. He made plays in college, and he gives his all. I fear that his lack of elite athleticism will limit him in the pros.

Dutchrudder
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Sounds good to me. Can't say I'm excited about the pick, but I'm glad they are throwing picks at the secondary. I hope he works out well.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Yes. This is THAT guy.

Even though I didn't have him rated as high as some other guys at this spot, I'm still psyched that we got him because it's THAT guy.

beerlover
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes. This is THAT guy.

Even though I didn't have him rated as high as some other guys at this spot, I'm still psyched that we got him because it's THAT guy.

it will not take him long to become a fan favorite, people will look back @ this thread & laugh :lol:

badboy
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM

This is the kid. I changed my mind. Excellent pick. I never saw him play but he won me with combine. Deon Sanders was blown away. I want him on my side in a fight.

badboy
04-30-2011, 01:44 PM
it will not take him long to become a fan favorite, people will look back @ this thread & laugh :lol:

reminds me of a former linebacker for Dallas from A&M that people doubted he could play.

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I love this pick. Yet another hustle guy with a non stop motor that goes all out on every single play. Just the type of guys we need. A guy I wanted us to take late in the draft.

ArlingtonTexan
04-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Yes he liked his foot work and instincts. Thought he had a chance to cover better than expected becasue of those two things.

phantom17
04-30-2011, 02:24 PM
A real football player is what the Doc's ordered for these Texans!:texflag:

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes he liked his foot work and instincts. Thought he had a chance to cover better than expected becasue of those two things.

He can cover short areas because of that, but I dont want/feel comfortable with him covering over long distances. Now, he is great in goal-line situations.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
This guy does not fit the mold Vance Joseph's twin safeties (twin responsibilities).

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
This guy does not fit the mold Vance Joseph's twin safeties (twin responsibilities).

Thats for sure.

The more I think about the pick, the more I like it. If Keo is used properly, he will be a boost to the team.

badboy
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
He can cover short areas because of that, but I dont want/feel comfortable with him covering over long distances. Now, he is great in goal-line situations.Yep but that is what I prefer in a strong. I don't want to watch him chase someone down from behind. This guy is a "go forward"player who will attack the TE or RB reaching the second level.

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Yep but that is what I prefer in a strong. I don't want to watch him chase someone down from behind. This guy is a "go forward"player who will attack the TE or RB reaching the second level.

Strong Safeties still have to cover though. Keo is slower than many linebackers.

ArlingtonTexan
04-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Like to hear how he spins that.

pirbroke
04-30-2011, 02:50 PM
how much speed will he pick up if he gets his bodyfat down? if he wants to play at next level he will have to get in shape.

EllisUnit
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM

they really think highly of the kid, so it cant be all bad :) We sure do love white football players. haha i mean really look at our draft so far, think about our roster hmmmmm

CretorFrigg
04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Here's a scouting report on Shilo.

Positives: Thickly built with natural mass — bench-pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the Combine. Drops downhill hard and craves contact. Understands run fits and is a solid tackler. Surprisingly good feet and short-area quickness — tested the best of any safety in the short shuttle (3.9 seconds) and 3-cone drill (6.55 seconds) at the Combine. Intense competitor. Good football temperament. Football-smart. Has a special-teams coverage mentality and good run strength.

Negatives: Has short arms and does not have a cut physique — carrying a soft midsection and nearly 20 percent body fat, easily the highest of any defensive back at the Combine. Tight-hipped with below-average speed and suddenness. Limited range and cover skills. Does not intimidate physically. Average leaping ability. Instincts and diagnostic skills are just average — freelances too much, takes chances and gives up some big plays. Has a sense of entitlement that could rub some people the wrong way.

Summary: Tightly wound, physical, intense downhill safety best utilized as an extra linebacker in the box. Is not as athletic or as well-conditioned as Ravens ’08 third-rounder Tom Zbikowski but similarly projects as an effective run defender and core special-teams player.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?statsid=141272#scouting

20% is pretty bad. He better start working out!

EllisUnit
04-30-2011, 04:38 PM
how much speed will he pick up if he gets his bodyfat down? if he wants to play at next level he will have to get in shape.

prob go from 4.7 to 4.5-4.6 i imagine, thats a lot of weight holding ya back.

VTexan
04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
prob go from 4.7 to 4.5-4.6 i imagine, thats a lot of weight holding ya back.

Not to mention that fat will turn to muscle.

Showtime100
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
This thread is beginning to get funny. :spit:

EllisUnit
04-30-2011, 05:05 PM
This thread is beginning to get funny. :spit:

:rake:

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Not to mention that fat will turn to muscle.

Not sure it works quite that way....... but yes, his overall conditioning should improve under the supervision of a NFL conditioning program.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Not sure it works quite that way....... but yes, his overall conditioning should improve under the supervision of a NFL conditioning program.

It doesn't. But it's the thought that counts.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
It doesn't. But it's the thought that counts.

One of the many things that makes me LOL about the way fitness, weight loss is portrayed.

Here use this ab machine and you will lose pounds and inches!! Ummm, no you won't.

Maddict5
04-30-2011, 07:16 PM
i initially voted 'do not like' when i read he was a slow banger/ST pick with the other potential options on the board. but after reading up and seeing how alot of ppl like him & how he plays, im good with the pick. kubiak, smith & wade all love this guy based on the post draft press conference

dream_team
04-30-2011, 11:32 PM
This guy is sounding like a Special Teams star! Just for that, I like the pick.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2011, 11:35 PM
If nothing else, look at this kid as a punt returner to replace Jacoby when Jacoby leaves and if Trindon Holliday doesn't pan out.

But if he slims down and gets into good shape (and in doing so improves his speed), he could be a starter for us.

Mari-OWNED!
05-01-2011, 04:28 AM
At least we'll know that the city of Houston will be a lot safer if his football career doesn't pan out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gb-OblFsVk

DocBar
05-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Asked to single out one player they’re excited about aside from the first two picks, Smith and Texans head coach Gary Kubiak both singled out Keo, who also can return kicks.

“I love this guy’s football IQ when I watch him play, diagnosing routes, formations and what’s fixing to happen,” Kubiak said. “He has great hands. If the ball is close, he’s going to make the play and has the ability to take it back to the house; makes big hits in games that are difference-makers for football teams.”
LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-add-defense-more-defense-in-2011-draft/83d7d261-b6ab-4e1c-ac24-af799b30023c)

Corrosion
05-01-2011, 06:36 AM
At least we'll know that the city of Houston will be a lot safer if his football career doesn't pan out...

I think he's bat **** crazy .... Guess thats a god thing for a football player , as long as it doesnt get him in trouble off the field.

Quote:
Asked to single out one player they’re excited about aside from the first two picks, Smith and Texans head coach Gary Kubiak both singled out Keo, who also can return kicks.

“I love this guy’s football IQ when I watch him play, diagnosing routes, formations and what’s fixing to happen,” Kubiak said. “He has great hands. If the ball is close, he’s going to make the play and has the ability to take it back to the house; makes big hits in games that are difference-makers for football teams.”
:pirate: (http://http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-add-defense-more-defense-in-2011-draft/83d7d261-b6ab-4e1c-ac24-af799b30023c)
Link (http://http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-add-defense-more-defense-in-2011-draft/83d7d261-b6ab-4e1c-ac24-af799b30023c)

DocBar your link doesnt work.

Something I noticed while watching him at the combine - When he attempted to make a catch , as the ball reached his hands he would close his eye's.

Im kinda neutral on this kid. He's got to get himself in better shape , 20% body fat on a 23 year old athlete .... I do like his intensity and how he plays the game.

DocBar
05-01-2011, 06:52 AM
fixed it

b0ng
05-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Something I noticed while watching him at the combine - When he attempted to make a catch , as the ball reached his hands he would close his eye's.

Im kinda neutral on this kid. He's got to get himself in better shape , 20% body fat on a 23 year old athlete .... I do like his intensity and how he plays the game.

I voted dislike just because we got fat safety who runs slow. This and the Yates pick make me go MEH but they are late round flyers and I like the top half of this draft. I hope the kid works out like everybody thinks he will but you know, would've preferred somebody different.

Honoring Earl 34
05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e8cd4f/Best-Value-Day-4-Shiloh-Keo

LikeMike
05-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:

LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-add-defense-more-defense-in-2011-draft/83d7d261-b6ab-4e1c-ac24-af799b30023c)

So we got ourselves our own Troy Polamalu?

DocBar
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
So we got ourselves our own Troy Polamalu?If we do, it'll be the draft pick of the decade for the Texans.

Corrosion
05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I voted dislike just because we got fat safety who runs slow. This and the Yates pick make me go MEH but they are late round flyers and I like the top half of this draft. I hope the kid works out like everybody thinks he will but you know, would've preferred somebody different.

You might want to go watch some video of Yates .... he could be the steal of the entire draft.

I watched some video on this kid ... He's got a really quick release and is very accurate. He hasnt had much protection , the pocket was chaotic to say the least. He found ways to escape or get rid of the ball on target even if he took a big hit in the process .....

Considering he will play behind Schaub and be under the eye of a very good QB coach in Kubiak , I like his chances to work out in the long run.

He was the last QB on the board at the time that has the potential to start in the NFL .... I really like this pick.

Fox
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
There's an interesting disconnect between the fan/commentators' vs. Texans coaches reaction to Keo.

Gary Kubiak
(on which players he is most excited about) I am going to start with the safety (Shiloh Keo.) I love this guys football IQ when I watch him play, diagnosing routes, formations, and whats fixing to happen. He has great hands. If the ball is close, hes going to make the play and has the ability to take it back to the house; makes big hits in games that are difference-makers for football teams. The passion he had when we called him, him and his family, if he brings that to our locker room, hes going to be just fine.

Rick Smith
(on which players he is most excited about) Id agree with that. I mean, I could pick somebody different, but I really think I am more excited about this kid. The more than he can bring to our team, the physicalness he brings and the excitement he brings.

Gary Kubiak
(on if S Shiloh Keo has a chance to contribute in the return game) Yeah, he definitely has the ability to do both. Remember, Wade (Phillips) had this man at the East-West game. He coached him. He thought a lot of him, not only as a safety and what he brought, but his leadership. I think the kid was named captain of the team within two days of being at the game. Wade had a very high opinion of this young man going into the draft. His ability to return did add some value to him.

So Wade Phillips coaches him in the East-West game and obviously comes away thinking highly of him. Now, out of all of our defensive picks, Kubiak and Smith highlight Keo as the player they are most excited about. I was thinking this guy is a special teamer with the chance to be a spot starter, but from the sounds of things he's got a chance to come in and compete for a starting role. He obviously doesn't have elite athleticism, but maybe he has the instincts to make up for it. Will be interesting guy to watch in camp/pre-season.

IDEXAN
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
"(Wade) coached him. He thought a lot of him, not only as a safety and what he brought, but his leadership. I think the kid was named captain of the team within two days of being at the game. Wade had a very high opinion of this young man going into the draft. His ability to return (kicks and punts) did add some value to him.”
When asked about his NFL role model, Keo said "Troy Polamalu. I feel like the way he plays, the way I play is very similar. We cover the entire field, backfield to down covering the hail-mary passes. We’re all over the field and we’re making plays. Plus, we share the same cultural heritage. He’s Polynesian, as I am, and it’s someone I really enjoy watching and try to base my game off of.”
Continue reading on Examiner.com: Texans excited about Keo's playmaking ability - Houston Houston Texans | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-excited-about-keo-s-playmaking-ability?CID=examiner_alerts_article#ixzz1L7Hb5rF2
&&&
Just like his NFL role model Troy Polamalu, Keo is Polynesian, so quit busting him about the body fat content because it goes with the territory.

LikeMike
05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Outside of the first 2 picks, Im most excited for Keo as well - because everything you read about him is exciting. I don`t expect him to start day one - but everytime he steps on the field I will look at his play. I think he has the chance to be the steal of the draft for us. Way more than the 2 CBs (who will be fine)...

Exciting is always good - that`s why a lot of people wanted an exciting player round 1. Im fine with going safe, solid starter and contributor in round 1 and exicitng potential in round 5.

IDEXAN
05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Finally a guy from Idaho on the Texans roster ! I mean an Idaho guy drafted
by the Texans because I think they had that BSU QB a few years ago, but he was an undrafted FA. OK so where do I get my Shiloh Keo jersey ?

b0ng
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
You might want to go watch some video of Yates .... he could be the steal of the entire draft.

The reason I don't like the Yates pick is I hate how little he produced with all that talent at UNC. I know people hate Orlovsky because he's pretty inaccurate and I see the same traits in Yates. It's a 6th round pick though so it's not worth getting upset over.

cdain1
05-01-2011, 11:58 AM

:toropalm:

:hmmm:

rmartin65
05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Finally a guy from Idaho on the Texans roster ! I mean an Idaho guy drafted
by the Texans because I think they had that BSU QB a few years ago, but he was an undrafted FA. OK so where do I get my Shiloh Keo jersey ?

Were you able to watch him a lot during college? If so, any insights?

I bet you can get one through the main website, but be sure to click through the link in TT.

IDEXAN
05-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Were you able to watch him a lot during college? If so, any insights?

I bet you can get one through the main website, but be sure to click through the link in TT.
In all honesty I watch more Boise State football than Idaho U football, and I generally don't watch that much college ball when compared to the NFL and especailly the Texans. But I know more about Keo from reputation than from watching him play, and he's a scrapper, a hard-hitting old-school kind of player who's more about leadership and intense effort than shear athletic ability, but he should be fun to follow in Houston.

Honoring Earl 34
05-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice video .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxB7S5KUfo&feature=related

Nawzer
05-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Uhh here's a video of Shilo Keo as Batman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gb-OblFsVk&feature=related

badboy
05-01-2011, 08:27 PM
One of the many things that makes me LOL about the way fitness, weight loss is portrayed.

Here use this ab machine and you will lose pounds and inches!! Ummm, no you won't.

What machine? Just give me a pill.

beerlover
05-02-2011, 09:01 AM
looking forward to my next Texan Jersey with the name "Keo" printed on the back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaabxNjMnik&feature=related

painekiller
05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I loved watching this kid play. He will be on all the special teams and at some point be the captain of that team. Also he has the football IQ to at least push the starting SS. Not sure he has the athleticism to start. But he certainly has the football IQ.

Watch his games, he will know he is in the game.

beerlover
05-04-2011, 02:30 PM
I've got a nickname for Shiloh Keo, tell me what you think?

The Green Hornet
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/g/greenhornet_masklogo.jpg

Seor Stan
05-04-2011, 02:54 PM
looking forward to my next Texan Jersey with the name "Keo" printed on the back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaabxNjMnik&feature=related

dang...he said "accountable" ten seconds in....no wonder the Texans drafted him.

DocBar
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM

The Green Hornet

I hope he's more like a green mamba. Hornets hurt, but really only annoy you unless you're allergic. It would be cool if the entire AFC, AFCS in particular, were allergic....

IDEXAN
05-04-2011, 03:33 PM

The Green Hornet

What's the inspiration for "Green Hornet" ?

rmartin65
05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Also, I think Batman is a more apt super hero name, with his internet video and all.

beerlover
05-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Texans director of College Scouting mentioned these kids who they drafted as green, better than ripe or rotten. Then I like the image of Keo flying around, handing out stingers. Yes rmartin65 there is the super hero association with the Batman you tube video, I happen to like the Green Hornet more, big fan of Bruce Lee. Also just finished watching movie (DVD) you know the whole good defeating evil spill, all in good fun of course.

Miggsy
05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Someone please post the batman video again it's not itt enough

CloakNNNdagger
05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I petition Bob McNair to throw Keo back immediately since he has a criminal record.

beerlover
05-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I petition Bob McNair to throw Keo back immediately since he has a criminal record.

I've heard, it helps to understand the criminal mind to defeat the criminal, so there maybe what some consider as criminal activity.

Blake
09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Well now that Shiloh is on the PS, makes you wonder if it was the right choice. Some players we passed on.

Jason Pinkston (Starting Guard Browns)
Chykie Brown (Made Ravens Roster)
Greg Jones (Giants)

Originally I was meh about Keo. I was happy we were trying to help out at safety. Lets hope he doesnt fade into oblivion.

badboy
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Well now that Shiloh is on the PS, makes you wonder if it was the right choice. Some players we passed on.

Greg Jones (Giants)

Originally I was meh about Keo. I was happy we were trying to help out at safety. Lets hope he doesnt fade into oblivion.I had Chykie Brown on one of my early mocks and like him better than Keo. Still we got him and I loved his effort during combine. Let's see what some NFL coaching can do for him.

Rey
09-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Keo needs to get faster and stronger if he is ever going to do anything in the NFL.

TimeKiller
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd tell him to put on 15 pounds in the next year, try him at MLB or something. Not too thrilled with the pick now.

mussop
09-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Greg Jones (Giants)

Originally I was meh about Keo. I was happy we were trying to help out at safety. Lets hope he doesnt fade into oblivion.

How about Round 7, Pick 51 (254) (Compensatory Selection) Cheta Ozougwu?
He didn't even make the practice squad. Does that make you wonder if was the right choice? Some players we passed on.

Mark Herzlich (Made NY Giants Roster)

Once more, the cancer survivor proved the doubters wrong.

"Herzlich didn't bat an eye the whole camp," Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said. "Physically, he did everything you asked and more. I saw him improve literally week by week. He can play multiple positions. He's very smart. He does an outstanding job on special teams. He's told one time and he goes and does it. He deserves it."

Coughlin felt that Herzlich was too versatile to cut, and his presence in the locker room can be an inspirational element for a team that could use some good vibes amid a fairly dark August.

Herzlich stood out with his instincts on defense, too, tallying five tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and an interception during the preseason. He might eventually earn a game-day role there, but Coughlin hinted that more work needs to be done.

"Herzlich had an outstanding sack and did a nice job on special teams (in the preseason finale against the Patriots). :kitten:

Vinny
09-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Shilo Keo was pretty disappointing. For a guy that looked sudden, he wasn't a thumper. He bounced off a few guys he was able to get to, but at least he was able to find the ball at times (when he wasn't getting run over at the goal line). Getting juked out of your jock by a fullback wasn't too flattering either.

ThaJokaa
09-09-2011, 08:02 PM

That was Harris

Texan_Bill
09-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Meh... He was what, a 5th rounder???? PS is fine. He's agressive as a DB, he can return kicks... Good upside, but if someone else signs him so what??!?!

I like him based on the video I've seen, but at the same time - whatever?

Texan_Bill
09-09-2011, 08:15 PM
On another note, it could be a good thing that we're discussing Keo, because that means we have a helluva lot more positions in better places than we did last year....

...just sayin'!!!!

badboy
09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
That was HarrisNo it was Keo. Deon went on and on and then went down on the field to watch SHiloh do some drills and then interviewed him. He gushed like a school girl. Harris is my guy and Deon had some nice things to say but nothing like he did concerning Keo's efforts.

Rey
09-09-2011, 09:49 PM
How about Round 7, Pick 51 (254) (Compensatory Selection) Cheta Ozougwu?
He didn't even make the practice squad. Does that make you wonder if was the right choice? Some players we passed on.

Mark Herzlich (Made NY Giants Roster)

Once more, the cancer survivor proved the doubters wrong.

"Herzlich didn't bat an eye the whole camp," Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said. "Physically, he did everything you asked and more. I saw him improve literally week by week. He can play multiple positions. He's very smart. He does an outstanding job on special teams. He's told one time and he goes and does it. He deserves it."

Coughlin felt that Herzlich was too versatile to cut, and his presence in the locker room can be an inspirational element for a team that could use some good vibes amid a fairly dark August.

Herzlich stood out with his instincts on defense, too, tallying five tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and an interception during the preseason. He might eventually earn a game-day role there, but Coughlin hinted that more work needs to be done.

"Herzlich had an outstanding sack and did a nice job on special teams (in the preseason finale against the Patriots). :kitten:

I coulda sworn cheta was on ir. I wanted herz there too, but to be fair cheta Neva gotta chance.

steelbtexan
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I really wanted Rick to take Herzlich. Or BL's guy Lefeged.

Corrosion
09-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Gotta say Im disappointed with Keo's performance .... Maybe a year on the PS does him some good ..... maybe he's outa the league in a year.

ObsiWan
09-10-2011, 01:28 AM
I coulda sworn cheta was on ir. I wanted herz there too, but to be fair cheta Neva gotta chance.

You're right. Checked the official roster; Cheta is on IR.

Wolf6151
09-10-2011, 01:38 AM
I think it was a bad/wasted pick especially on a team that had so many defensive holes. I think that the PS was a gift to him and that he'll most likely be out of the league next year. Lefeged would have been a better pick, he at least has potential.

76Texan
09-10-2011, 02:16 AM
A little overeaction, I think!

In the Vikings game, the two plays in which he looked bad weren't all that terrible.
I will post the screen shots of these plays in the film study thread in the near future - don't know when yet.

On the TD run, he came in from outside and did not have a good angle (due to some other reason and not because he was a tad slow to the ball.)
And no Vinny, it really doesn't look to me that he was ran over.
Due to the side angle, the runner was able to use the contact as leverage to spin to the other side to get into the end zone.
There were other guys who were worse on that play.

On the QB scramble, he didn't overran the play.
The Texams were in a Dime package (4-man front, #39 and #34 at safeties, 2 CBs, #42 at nickel, a single LB lining up in the SAM postiion, and the Dime back Keo lining up in the WILL position.)
In Wade's playbook, the LB was designated as the MLB and Keo as the Dime back.

Against a 20 personnel, the MLB followed one RB and the Dime (Keo) followed the other. As the QB scrambled up the middle, Keo had come up un coverage on the RB out of the backfield. That made it looks like Keo overran the play, but he didn't.

There was another play when he came up for a tackle, but Nading was pursuing from behind and as Nading made the tackle, he pushed the ball carrier into Keo forcing him to fall backward. That's pretty normal, I don't see anything wrong with that.

BTW, Keo's wife gave birth to a child just a few days before the Vikings game.
Congrats, Young Mr & Mrs Keo!

TejasTom
09-10-2011, 07:23 AM
So lets get to the numbers. And it is worth mentioning Keo played his career as a safety, but participated in the Combine as a general DB and his results were listed on NFL.com with the cornerbacks group.

40 Yard Dash 4.72
Bench Press 24 Reps (Tied for 3rd with corners, 1st with safeties)
Vertical Jump 32.5
Broad Jump 92
3 Cone Drill 6.55 (3rd with corners, 1st with safeties)
20 Yard Shuttle 3.90 (1st with corners, 1st with safeties)
60 Yard Shuttle 11.19 (Tied for 11th with corners, 1st with safeties)

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/03/2011-nfl-combine-idahos-shiloh-keo.html

The bottom three stats show great change of direction and lateral speed, maybe he just needs a little fine tuning.

Rey
09-10-2011, 07:38 AM
A little overeaction, I think!

In the Vikings game, the two plays in which he looked bad weren't all that terrible.
I will post the screen shots of these plays in the film study thread in the near future - don't know when yet.

On the TD run, he came in from outside and did not have a good angle (due to some other reason and not because he was a tad slow to the ball.)
And no Vinny, it really doesn't look to me that he was ran over.
Due to the side angle, the runner was able to use the contact as leverage to spin to the other side to get into the end zone.
There were other guys who were worse on that play.

On the QB scramble, he didn't overran the play.
The Texams were in a Dime package (4-man front, #39 and #34 at safeties, 2 CBs, #42 at nickel, a single LB lining up in the SAM postiion, and the Dime back Keo lining up in the WILL position.)
In Wade's playbook, the LB was designated as the MLB and Keo as the Dime back.

Against a 20 personnel, the MLB followed one RB and the Dime (Keo) followed the other. As the QB scrambled up the middle, Keo had come up un coverage on the RB out of the backfield. That made it looks like Keo overran the play, but he didn't.

There was another play when he came up for a tackle, but Nading was pursuing from behind and as Nading made the tackle, he pushed the ball carrier into Keo forcing him to fall backward. That's pretty normal, I don't see anything wrong with that.

BTW, Keo's wife gave birth to a child just a few days before the Vikings game.
Congrats, Young Mr & Mrs Keo!

He was run over. Not smooth over, but he did not provide any resistance what so ever in keeping the rb out of the endzone. And there actually is a clip out there showing him getting plowed by a little rb from Boise state right on the goal line.

As far as your other comments I think you look for any kind of excuse to back up players you like. He got juked, he got out ran, he barely did anything at all the whole pre-season and he got run over. These things are facts.

ArlingtonTexan
09-10-2011, 08:27 AM
http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/03/2011-nfl-combine-idahos-shiloh-keo.html

The bottom three stats show great change of direction and lateral speed, maybe he just needs a little fine tuning.

He looks like a guy with short area athletic skills, but I am recalling correctly the negative plays we are remembering were more open area, where he might have limitations.

BTW, this is the danger of guys who are good "football players" versus "good athletes." At times in the NFL, you just have to be able to get there in hurry or be stout enough to stand your ground. He is not over with for us, and the staff was excited about him. We will see.

IDEXAN
09-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Since he played for Idaho in college, I was kinda sentimental about him and hoping he'd pan out, but he's been pretty disappointing up to now. I follow BSU but Idaho U not so much, and therefor didn't know much about him until we drafted him ?
I'm still really puzzled why Wade took him when he did not want the traditional
"box" strong safety in his defense, which is clearly Shilohs niche, and teams usually don't use a 5th round pick on a player who's used exclusively on STs ?

beerlover
09-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Since he played for Idaho in college, I was kinda sentimental about him and hoping he'd pan out, but he's been pretty disappointing up to now. I follow BSU but Idaho U not so much, and therefor didn't know much about him until we drafted him ?
I'm still really puzzled why Wade took him when he did not want the traditional
"box" strong safety in his defense, which is clearly Shilohs niche, and teams usually don't use a 5th round pick on a player who's used exclusively on STs ?

Good points. I think the key to shilo is attitude. Great character, work ethic & love for the game. Excellent developmental pick who will be come a core player down the road even if it's just special teams captain. Every team needs guys like him, Wades experience has taught him that.

Rey
09-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Good points. I think the key to shilo is attitude. Great character, work ethic & love for the game. Excellent developmental pick who will be come a core player down the road even if it's just special teams captain. Every team needs guys like him, Wades experience has taught him that.

At this point what do you think his ceiling is?

Special teams captain?
Primary back up?
Starter?

I don't like to rule guys out. Instead I like to just say what I see.

And what I saw was not good. Still, if he works on his body he could get better.

beerlover
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
At this point what do you think his ceiling is?

Special teams captain?
Primary back up?
Starter?

I don't like to rule guys out. Instead I like to just say what I see.

And what I saw was not good. Still, if he works on his body he could get better.

There is one thing you don't or others have to worry about & that is Keo work ethic. Have a little faith don't be too quick to judge off a small sample size.

DocBar
09-10-2011, 09:44 PM
There is one thing you don't or others have to worry about & that is Keo work ethic. Have a little faith don't be too quick to judge off a small sample size.That post makes no sense, whatsoever. Please reread it and make the appropriate changes.:cool:

beerlover
09-11-2011, 11:00 AM
That post makes no sense, whatsoever. Please reread it and make the appropriate changes.:cool:

small sample size with Texans http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Shiloh-Keo/5c68dec8-987d-40ab-8a54-1284ece3bfb3 yet look how quick we are to judge (maybe its because of so many failings in the past?). It should have been anticipated rookies would struggle, at least initially, because the lock-out/lack of preparation/work with organizations who drafted them. It's also a statement by Watt how quickly he has come into Wade Phillips system & made his impact felt, but he is the only rookie drafted who is a starter. Brooks is gaining & showing flashes of potential & he had a 1st/2nd rd. grade. Same can be said for Brandon Harris.

Lets go down the list of players who have yet or who have already been cut over past few years. In 2007 Texans drafted Brandon Harrison in the 5th round never had much if any impact & released. Dominique Barber is still hanging around (6th rd.) pick in 08 but Xavier Adibi, 4th & Antwaun Molden 3rd round where both cut. It's taken Troy Nolan a couple years after being drafted in the 7th rd. to show promise I would consider him the exception but @ the same time also drafted in 09 4th rd. Anthony Hill was let go, that's not so good. Last years 7th rd. pick Dorin Dickerson is gone already while 6th rd. Trindon Holiday is hanging around on the practice squad.

Point being, nothing is guaranteed for young players drafted or undrafted coming into the NFL & sticking on a roster. Some take more time than others as often the case measureables decline as rounds proceed or there are off field, character issues that can bring a prospect down. Clearly in Shilos case the measureable issue is something hes faced his whole football playing life, yet he has beat the odds time & time again. This is what I mean about judging him based off small sample size of reps in pre-season along with learning how to practice & what to do in his first NFL camp against a new level of competition. He will probably need a couple years like Nolan.

ps - I struggle posting via IPhone, they tend to come out short, abbreviated & at times nonsensical :htown2atx:

Rey
09-11-2011, 11:13 AM
small sample size with Texans http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Shiloh-Keo/5c68dec8-987d-40ab-8a54-1284ece3bfb3 yet look how quick we are to judge (maybe its because of so many failings in the past?). It should have been anticipated rookies would struggle, at least initially, because the lock-out/lack of preparation/work with organizations who drafted them. It's also a statement by Watt how quickly he has come into Wade Phillips system & made his impact felt, but he is the only rookie drafted who is a starter. Brooks is gaining & showing flashes of potential & he had a 1st/2nd rd. grade. Same can be said for Brandon Harris.

Lets go down the list of players who have yet or who have already been cut over past few years. In 2007 Texans drafted Brandon Harrison in the 5th round never had much if any impact & released. Dominique Barber is still hanging around (6th rd.) pick in 08 but Xavier Adibi, 4th & Antwaun Molden 3rd round where both cut. It's taken Troy Nolan a couple years after being drafted in the 7th rd. to show promise I would consider him the exception but @ the same time also drafted in 09 4th rd. Anthony Hill was let go, that's not so good. Last years 7th rd. pick Dorin Dickerson is gone already while 6th rd. Trindon Holiday is hanging around on the practice squad.

Point being, nothing is guaranteed for young players drafted or undrafted coming into the NFL & sticking on a roster. Some take more time than others as often the case measureables decline as rounds proceed or there are off field, character issues that can bring a prospect down. Clearly in Shilos case the measureable issue is something hes faced his whole football playing life, yet he has beat the odds time & time again. This is what I mean about judging him based off small sample size of reps in pre-season along with learning how to practice & what to do in his first NFL camp against a new level of competition. He will probably need a couple years like Nolan.

ps - I struggle posting via IPhone, they tend to come out short, abbreviated & at times nonsensical :htown2atx:

I don't understand how that helps shilo's case. Seems like you are saying he's likely to be cut and not around in the next few years.

beerlover
09-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't understand how that helps shilo's case. Seems like you are saying he's likely to be cut and not around in the next few years.

You know that investment disclaimer, past performance is no guarantee of future performance? The same thing can be said about all things NFL. I gave examples of the Texans past performance from their most recent & applicable drafts which suggest more fail than succeed, those are just the simple facts. Shilo is a player who somehow has found a way to beat those odds, he's got some support from Wade too the combination of the two should be enough given due process to enable him making the Texans 53 man roster at some point providing another team does not swoop in & sign him off the PS.