PockyAF
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
With the 42nd overall pick, the Houston Texans select Brooks Reed

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2008/11/l102714-1.jpg

Love how our last two pick is already accustomed to wearing battle red

Norg
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Its our version of CLay matthews ..... :bunpan:

Not to sound racist or anything but Bud is turing our D into teh all White boy squad

Thorn
04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
We are going to have one hell of a d-line. I love it.

jaayteetx
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Not to sound racist or anything but Bud is turing our D into teh all White boy squad

you mean wade?

Norg
04-29-2011, 07:17 PM
you mean wade?

I like Bud Jr better then wade :wadepalm:

Blake
04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I love it. We are building towards something special.

Thorn
04-29-2011, 07:20 PM
found this amoung losts of stuff on him. I like our draft so far.

Brooks Reed is drawing a lot of comparisons to Clay Matthews and it isn't just because of his long blond hair. Reed doesn't have the prototypical build or elite athletic ability, but he makes up for that with great instincts, a never ending motor, and deceptive strength. He played with his hand on the ground at Arizona, but his best fit would be in the 3-4 as a rush linebacker where he is asked to go out and just get after the Quarterback. Reed is very quick, and explosive. That was shown at the combine where he ran the fastest 10 yard split of any defensive lineman. He needs to improve as a run stopper, and do a better job taking on blockers, but he will mostly be used as a pass rusher, so it is not too big of an issue. This draft is short on rush linebackers and defensive ends that can make an impact day 1. So look for Reed to go somewhere in the late 1st to early 2nd. Teams like New England, New York Jets, Green Bay, and Houston would love to get him.

PockyAF
04-29-2011, 07:21 PM
We are going to have one hell of a d-line. I love it.

He's most likely going to play OLB be us, me presume. Our DE is already stacked, now our front 7 overall is getting stacked with premium talent.

Scouting reports on the Brooks:

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k478/daniel78753/BrooksReed.png

Honoring Earl 34
I say don't cut the hair . Why ... 6-10 teams can't have rookie hazing .

phantom17
Great pick! We could use a guy that looks like Thor! Wade's D signature is all over this!:)

Errant Hothy

I don't think he'll be as good as Clay.

Thorn
04-29-2011, 07:22 PM
He's most likely going to play OLB be us, me presume. Our DE is already stacked, now our front 7 overall is getting stacked with premium talent.

From what I am reading so far, you are right about him as a OLB. Which is exactly the position I wanted.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Seems like Wade is getting what he wants.
Welcome to Houston Brooks!!!

Go Brooks!!!
Go Texans!!!

The Cush
04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Here's ESPN Insider's scouting report..

Here's ESPN Insider's scouting report. I love that we're getting hard working, high motor guys that just love to play football.

Production

3 2006: Redshirted. 2007: (7/0) 7 tackles, 0.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks. 2008: (13/13) 37 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 8 sacks. 2009: (10/8) 23 tackles, 5 TFL, 2 sacks. 2010: (13/13) 47 tackles, 10 TFL, 6.5 sacks.
Height-Weight-Speed

2 Slightly below-average in terms of height but possesses adequate bulk and very good top-end speed.

Durability

4 Suffered a high-ankle sprain at Iowa in 2009 and missed three games (two starts) as a result.

Intangibles

2 Hard worker and takes a passionate approach to game. Developed into the leader of the defense and voted a team captain as senior. No off-field issues to our knowledge. Made transition from H-back to DE in 2007.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Defensive End Specific Traits

Pass Rush Skills

1 A quick-twitch athlete that shows an explosive first step off of the edge. Had the fastest 10-yard split time (1.54) of any defensive lineman at the 2011 combine. Shows quality rip and swim moves. Technically-sound and relentless. Uses hands extremely well to keep blocker off of frame. Very effective with speed-to-power moves. Can bend the edge tightly and shows outstanding leverage/flexibility. Will fight to get through the double team and works hard through the whistle. Closing burst is good but not elite category.

Versus the run

3 Is undersized and occasionally can get overwhelmed at the point of attack when blockers lock on. Is not an elite athlete and shows some stiffness in space when forced to quickly change directions. But he maximizes his physical tools versus the run thanks to excellent effort and technique. Does a very good job with his first step. Is quick off the ball, uses outstanding leverage and hand technique to take on and disengage from typically bigger blockers. Also takes on blockers with the proper shoulder (typically left shoulder at RDE) to ensure gap discipline. Strong tackler for the position. Rarely fails to wrap up when he's in position.

Versatility

2 Flashes potential to develop into a rush linebacker in the NFL. Not a great athlete but shows good quickness and adequate hip flexibility on tape when he occasionally drops into underneath zone. Displays awareness and discipline in coverage.

Instincts/Motor

1 Is disciplined and executes his assignments. Shows good awareness in all phases of the game. Is tough and aggressive. Flies around the field and is clearly passionate about his craft. Will chip the TE when necessary. Does a nice job of keeping outside leverage versus the run.
1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

I really like what we've done the first 2 rounds. Hard working, physical, high motor guys

PockyAF
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Great pick! We could use a guy that looks like Thor! Wade's D signature is all over this!:)

Awesome.. I was trying to think of a nickname for this guy. Mini Claymaker, Brawler, Brooklyn...

But, if he hits as hard as his scouting says, then Brooks "The Thor-Hammer" Reed would be an appropriate nickname for this Greek God sculpted of a man.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVTBc_xyvKp-CSRGxrQRKRKno4FHRxE486bsBIUPPAZvoI4KwuYQ&t=1

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Arizona+v+USC+1HitqydU7pBl.jpg

My gawd, the resemblance is uncanny.

Would rep for life for a photshop pic of Brooks holding Thor's Hammer in last pic.

LikeMike
04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't think he'll be as good as Clay.

If he`d be as good as Clay he probably would`ve been a top 3 pick. But I´d be alright if he only managed 8 sacks in his first year ;-).

HuttoKarl
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Thor's Hammer = Mjolnir

BullNation4Life
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM

hmmmm.....

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/1/1f/Techno-viking.jpg

wonder if anybody has ever seen these 2 in the same room at the same time?

With the 42nd pick, the Houston Texans pick...

TECHNO VIKING!!!

Norg
04-29-2011, 07:39 PM
i dont think height would be a issues esp if your going agansit thoes Giant Tackles just get LOW and fast Tall people wouldnt know what 2 do something coming at u that low and fast :kubepalm:

hradhak
04-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Man this is going to be a good front 7. I finally feel like we have enough pieces to put together a good D line. I think that if Barwin can get back in game shape we are going to do some serious damage on defense.

We still need to add depth in the secondary, but I'm hoping that with this front 7 teams won't have long enough to burn our secondary.

Brisco_County
04-29-2011, 08:00 PM
I LOVE this pick. I read about him in a draft guide made by Green Bay fans, and I hoped we'd take him. Will post their analysis here in a bit.

Errant Hothy
04-29-2011, 08:05 PM
hmmmm.....

TECHNO VIKING!!!

LZ already dubbed JJ Watt as Techno Viking today.

Techno Viking triplets?

Texaninlild
04-29-2011, 08:05 PM
We just got whiter.

CretorFrigg
04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
I love that we're improving our pass rush, and I absolutely love this pick! But I can't help but worry about our pass defense. Do we have enough linebackers that can drop back into coverage?

Errant Hothy
04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
The Whitest Team You Know.

mussop
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Man this is going to be a good front 7. I finally feel like we have enough pieces to put together a good D line. I think that if Barwin can get back in game shape we are going to do some serious damage on defense.

We still need to add depth in the secondary, but I'm hoping that with this front 7 teams won't have long enough to burn our secondary.

More importantly we need to add some veteran leadership to our secondary. I say load up the front seven and and put smart vets behind them. That is the fastest way to improve this defense.

We know we are going to score a lot of points. We need a defense that can pressure the QB and create turnovers. If we can do that we will have a hell of a team. So far it looks like we are heading in the right direction.

OMG did I just say that????????????:bender:

adboy
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
hmmmm.....

TECHNO VIKING!!!

LOL techno viking nice

b0ng
04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
The Whitest Team You Know.

Minnesota Vikings not going to be out-honkied today.

Brisco_County
04-29-2011, 08:56 PM
This is the write-up that Cheesehead TV's draft guide did on Brooks Reed. He was the most prominently featured player in their guide, obviously due to his similarities to Clay Matthews. One comparison that stands out is his 10-yard split. Matthews' was 1.49. Reed's is 1.54, which was faster than Von Miller and Bowers.

Coincidentally, the most highly rated of the three (Arizona prospects), Brooks Reed, is frequently compared to Clay Matthews.
Their style of play is very similar, although the first thing everybody notices is the long mane of blond hair cascading out the back of the helmet.

“Brooks has an insane motor,” said Ricky Elmore of his teammate. “If you want to compare the hair, the hair flows just like Clay’s, but yeah, he’s an extremely good player, and I think he’s going to do really good at the next level. I think any team that picks him up is going to be very glad they did.”
Goldilocks aside, they do have a striking resemblance, and the nonstop motor is the other trait most commonly reference.

It’s the never-say-die attitude that has allowed Matthews to become a two-time Pro Bowler, an Associated Press first-team All-Pro in 2010, and the Sporting News Defensive Player of the Year.

Matthews’ bag of tricks is seemingly unending. He uses speed rushes, power rushes, twists, stunts, and his hands to fend off defenders on the way to the passer. Even falling to the ground doesn’t stop Matthews, who pops back up and plays to the whistle.

Reed says he watches film of the Packers outside linebacker and the biggest thing that sticks out to him, however, is Matthews’ ability to pass rush from the first quarter to the fourth quarter.

“I just like how relentless he is,“ said Reed. “He’s a dependable player to get there even at the end of the game, to get to the quarterback when he’s dead dog tired. That’s what I like about his game.”

In order to become the next Clay Matthews, though, the 6’3”, 263 pound Wildcat will need to go through a significant period of adjustment.

Reed has played exclusively from a three-point stance with the exception of the final two games of his college career: for the Territorial Cup against in-state rival Arizona-State and the Alamo Bowl against Oklahoma State, both losses.

“He’s a great athlete, and he played in a system where he was a standup linebacker,” Reed said of Matthews, “whereas I’m trying to make that transition right now.”

“I think it’s going to take me maybe a little bit more time to understand that position, but I think I have the athletic ability to do that.”

Regardless of the learning curve he faces, interest in Reed indicates he’s likely to be drafted by a 3-4 team.

Reed estimated an 80% to 20% breakdown in the number of 3-4 teams that interviewed him at the NFL Combine compared to 4-3 teams.

“Athletically, moving your hips and whatnot, I think I could do that,” said Reed of the transition. “I mean, just basic things about the position, new responsibilities that I’m not used to as a defensive end, I’ll have to pick up pretty quick.”

It’s been thought for some time that Reed would be a second day draft choice (rounds two or three), but after an impressive performance at the Combine, some are wondering whether he could sneak into the back end of the first round, of which the Packers own the 32nd pick.

Reed had the third fastest 40 dash time among defensive linemen in Indianapolis with a time of 4.68 seconds, but even more astounding was how quickly he covered the first ten yards.

“Perhaps his most impressive total came in the most important test for defensive linemen (and, some would say, linebacker) in the ten-yard split," writes Rob Rang at NFLDraftScout.com. "Reed was timed at 1.54 seconds over the first ten yards, demonstrating a degree of explosiveness typically reserved for much smaller men. Reed’s 1.54 seconds not only was the fastest of all defensive ends (NC’s Robert Quinn was second at 1.61), his split was also faster than some of the more highly touted athletes of the Combine, including Nevada OLB Dontay Moch, Tennessee-Chatanooga CB Buster Skine, Kentucky WR Randall Cobb, Georgia WR AJ Green, Troy WR Jerrel Jernigan, and Texas A&M OLB Von Miller.”

Big Lou
04-30-2011, 12:01 AM

Is that Reed in our Battle Red Prime Time Uniform already??? He wanted to be a Texan all along!!!!!

Man Houston's marketing guys are awesome!!!

Big Lou
04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
hmmmm.....

TECHNO VIKING!!!

We should use our 7th round supplemental pick on the real Techno Viking, imsgine if he scored, AWESOME TD DANCES BABY!!!!!! Reliant could give out glow sticks!!!!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/Lythiophynia/Crap/technoviking.gif

We'd get flagged for 15 everytime, but TOTALLY worth it!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I hope the jealous vets leave his hair alone and find another way to haze.

The day after Cushing was shaved, I noticed some of the veterans no longer looked bald. In fact, I think I even saw a coach that looked like he had a patch or two of mismatched hair swatches on his head.:kubepalm:

Big Lou
04-30-2011, 12:17 AM
We should use our 7th round supplemental pick on the real Techno Viking, imsgine if he scored, AWESOME TD DANCES BABY!!!!!! Reliant could give out glow sticks!!!!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/Lythiophynia/Crap/technoviking.gif

We'd get flagged for 15 everytime, but TOTALLY worth it!!!!

I take it back that would be the Sack Dance for #18....

Do we need a Techno Viking Face Palm?

TexanSam
04-30-2011, 03:52 PM
From Earl Mitchell's twitter
http://twitter.com/EarlMitchell92/status/64122701882736640

Got my weight room buddy back!! #bear down congrats man @Brooksreed42