PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Reed- Do you like the pick?

rmartin65
04-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Well?

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
YES!!! Love this pick!

The1ApplePie
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Meh pick 2 of this draft so far.

I liked Houston better.

JCTexan
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I like it.

badboy
04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Should be an excellent OLB for us. So far I give Smithiak an A

TEXANS84
04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
http://musketfire.com/files/2011/04/BrooksReed.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
We're going to have to change our name to the Knights . :lol:

Ndevine7
04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I absolutely love this pick

TimeKiller
04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Houston would've been nice, Paea would've been nice...I think some of these CBs are gonna fall, there hasn't yet been a spurt of offensive players...

I'm satisfied though.

Watt - ??? - Williams
Reed - Cushing - Ryans - Barwin
Jackson - ??? - Quin - ???

Need a few more answers yet. Watt/Reed seems like a good start. So it's NT, CB and S left. 5 more picks.

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this pick. Most reports (including today's ESPN Draft Show) repeatedly use the term "stiff" or "stiff hips." Many feel that he was an overachiever in college and has met his peak. I guess we'll see.

04/04/2011 - Top linebacker prospects: 4. Brooks Reed, Arizona, 6-3, 263, 2 Reed worked out with the defensive linemen at the combine, but he projects best to outside linebacker in a 3-4. He only enhanced that probability with a 4.65 40, which was faster than 18 of the 24 linebackers tested in Indy. That included a position-best 1.54-second 10-yard split among defensive linemen, showing his explosive first step. Reed isn't quite as athletic as Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews, but he does change directions with fluidity and impressed in positional drills at the combine and the Senior Bowl. The three-year starter closed his career with 114 tackles and 17 sacks and was first-team All-Pac-10 in 2010. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

Overview

Reed has been an active part of one of the best pass rushes in college football for the past two years, but is a bit of an end/outside linebacker 'tweener as an NFL prospect. He's slightly undersized for a 4-3 end and lacks the fluid hips for assignments like open-field tackles and man coverage against tight ends as a 3-4 linebacker. However, the NFL will get effort, hustle and quickness off the snap at either position.

Analysis

Positives: Three-year starter at end is a combination of effort, hustle and quickness off the snap. Could get a look as a 4-3 end, but is also well suited for outside linebacker in a 3-4. Stays low, runs well and is relentless in pursuit. Powerful bull rush and a quality speed rush. Consistent and strong tackler, can deliver the big hit. Contributes on special teams. Smart in the classroom, fiery leader on the field - top intangibles.

Negatives: Appears a bit stiff in the hips and doesn't change directions well. Has bull and speed rushes and an OK spin move as pass rush techniques - that's it. Spin move is the double-move. Doesn't disengage from blocks effectively. Did not fare well against better competition. While effort is good, isn't very effective as a lineman against the run, and can be overpowered and washed. Doesn't have a lot of experience in pass coverage.

phantom17
04-29-2011, 07:02 PM
LOVE THIS PICK for the first time in a LONG time! I'm glad Rick didn't pick! I love the way Wade is doin' this! Now - get em Wade in the 3rd!:goodluck:

Dutchrudder
04-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm happy with it. Best OLB on the board at our pick and we didn't have to give up later picks to get him.

PapaL
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this pick. Most reports (including today's ESPN Draft Show) repeatedly use the term "stiff" or "stiff hips." Many feel that he was an overachiever in college and has met his peak. I guess we'll see.

04/04/2011 - Top linebacker prospects: 4. Brooks Reed, Arizona, 6-3, 263, 2 Reed worked out with the defensive linemen at the combine, but he projects best to outside linebacker in a 3-4. He only enhanced that probability with a 4.65 40, which was faster than 18 of the 24 linebackers tested in Indy. That included a position-best 1.54-second 10-yard split among defensive linemen, showing his explosive first step. Reed isn't quite as athletic as Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews, but he does change directions with fluidity and impressed in positional drills at the combine and the Senior Bowl. The three-year starter closed his career with 114 tackles and 17 sacks and was first-team All-Pac-10 in 2010. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

Overview

Reed has been an active part of one of the best pass rushes in college football for the past two years, but is a bit of an end/outside linebacker 'tweener as an NFL prospect. He's slightly undersized for a 4-3 end and lacks the fluid hips for assignments like open-field tackles and man coverage against tight ends as a 3-4 linebacker. However, the NFL will get effort, hustle and quickness off the snap at either position.

Analysis

Positives: Three-year starter at end is a combination of effort, hustle and quickness off the snap. Could get a look as a 4-3 end, but is also well suited for outside linebacker in a 3-4. Stays low, runs well and is relentless in pursuit. Powerful bull rush and a quality speed rush. Consistent and strong tackler, can deliver the big hit. Contributes on special teams. Smart in the classroom, fiery leader on the field - top intangibles.

Negatives: Appears a bit stiff in the hips and doesn't change directions well. Has bull and speed rushes and an OK spin move as pass rush techniques - that's it. Spin move is the double-move. Doesn't disengage from blocks effectively. Did not fare well against better competition. While effort is good, isn't very effective as a lineman against the run, and can be overpowered and washed. Doesn't have a lot of experience in pass coverage.

How can they say he changes direction well and then say he doesn't change direction well? Which is it?!?

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 07:05 PM
I am so thrilled!!! JJ Watt and Brooks Reed is my most favorite combo we could have gotten. I'm the happiest person alive.

Hagar
04-29-2011, 07:08 PM
The three guys I wanted were all off the board already. Of the LB left, I preferred the kid from Georgia and the S from UCLA.

Its not a bad pick, but its not a good pick either.

Meh, it ok.

Norg
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
i wash kinda worried when

CB went off the board
CB went off the board

OLB went off the board
OLB went off the board

but IDK about this pick i dont know nothing about this guy

Nice hair tho DOnt cut them long locks off if dem locks give him any type of special powers like they gave CLay matthews then im all IN LOL

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
I think Reed has benefited by Clay Mathews' success. Matthews didn't put up great stats in college and it concerned more than just a handful of people. Now Reed looks like a similar type of player and I think Wade feels that he has Clay Mathews II.

DBCooper
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
If Wade likes him, I love him!

I am so happy we have real coach on Defense now.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I think Reed has benefited by Clay Mathews' success. Matthews didn't put up great stats in college and it concerned more than just a handful of people. Now Reed looks like a similar type of player and I think Wade feels that he has Clay Mathews II.

I think Reed played real well in college. Never really stood out nationally because Arizona has a LOT of really good D players and they all do their role well. I think Reed plays like Matthews in the sense he's relentless. With that said Clay had more pass rushing moves coming out.

Thorn
04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
So far this board seems to really like him. Our first two selections have been very popular around these parts. What a nice change. :)

wolf123
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
So far this board seems to really like him. Our first two selections have been very popular around these parts. What a nice change. :)

Its a minor miracle!!!:doot:

rmartin65
04-29-2011, 07:42 PM
I am pretty happy about it. He is a bit tight in the hips, but he should do well enough to get to the passer consistently.

Nawzer
04-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I have this image in my head of Kubiak being banished to a corner and letting Wade run this draft with minimum input from Smith. I think Watt and Reeds if nothing else will play hard and give all out effort.

IDEXAN
04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I wanted Pitts Jabaal Sheard, he was my top choice for our second round pick but I like Reed and he's my next choice as the teams feature edge rusher.

mussop
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
I am so thrilled!!! JJ Watt and Brooks Reed is my most favorite combo we could have gotten. I'm the happiest person alive.

After me!!!!!!! When I did my Mock I went Watt first and Martez Wilson second but only because I thought Reed would be long gone. The only way this draft could of been better so far was if we could of gotten Kerrigan too. And no not because they are white either. I think they are all going to be very good players.

I would love for us to add Wilson or Houston to this LB crew. Either can play inside or out. That way if Ryans or Barwin dont come back from their injuries or Cushing doesnt return to his rookie form we have a competent LB corps. You can never have enough LB's in a 3/4.

badboy
04-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Will we have any linebackers who can fall back in coverage?

nytexan
04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Not only do I think this is a solid pick but what excites me also is the obvious implications that they are going to be big time players for secondary help in free agency. Going front 7 with the first 2 picks makes it almost a certainty that will happen.

I'm starting to get really excited about the 2011 Texans :fans:

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
After me!!!!!!! When I did my Mock I went Watt first and Martez Wilson second but only because I thought Reed would be long gone. The only way this draft could of been better so far was if we could of gotten Kerrigan too. And no not because they are white either. I think they are all going to be very good players.

I would love for us to add Wilson or Houston to this LB crew. Either can play inside or out. That way if Ryans or Barwin dont come back from their injuries or Cushing doesnt return to his rookie form we have a competent LB corps. You can never have enough LB's in a 3/4.

I totally agree. I didn't think Reed would be available either. I really like Chris Carter that Wade coached in the Shrine game to be our ILB/OLB guy. We're on the same page on building up our front 7 bigtime!!

Silver Oak
04-29-2011, 08:11 PM

you missed that core group of Texans haters (disguised as fans), who no matter what the team does, they'll always publicly hate the team decisions.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81449

Second Honeymoon
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Better pick with Reed. Good value and fills a need.

I am trying to convince myself passing on Quinn and Prince were good ideas but I am liking the JJ pick more. I really wanted Quinn but they were afraid of the tumor....and it's a valid concern so it's tough to hold that against them.

I do think passing on Prince confirms we are going to go balls out to lure a top FA CB to Houston. Donte Whitner may become available soon.

Thorn
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
you missed that core group of Texans haters (disguised as fans), who no matter what the team does, they'll always publicly hate the team decisions.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81449

Playoffs will cure that very quickly. Quickly is the key word with the term "playoffs". We shall see. Like last year, I am beginning to be hopefull again. Whether that hope is dashed again is unforeseen as yet.

We shall see.

TexansBull
04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I have this image in my head of Kubiak being banished to a corner and letting Wade run this draft with minimum input from Smith. I think Watt and Reeds if nothing else will play hard and give all out effort.

Well, when you think about it, its probably Rick getting banished to the corner. One of our best drafts was with Kubiak and Casserly(who is worthless) and we had one if not the best drafts. Then comes Rick and we select Amobi and Kareem(jury still out). I think Rick may be more of a problem in the draft room than Kubiak.

infantrycak
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't think anyone has been banished to a corner. I don't think Wade was lying when he described a very congenial discussion with everyone involved.

TimeKiller
04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Wade: I want :enter pick here:.

Gary: Oh yes, oh Wade you dog that's a good pick....Rick?

Rick: Oh my yes, great player I'll send the pick in right now!

Everyone's involved.

JimBaker488
04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Meh pick 2 of this draft so far.

I liked Houston better.
No man, Houston's at 270 on his way to 280 + which means he's far too big to be playing rush LB. Reed is a better pick for what we want in Wades D.

Brisco_County
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
In the other Reed thread, I posted a write-up by Green Bay fans who wanted him as Clay Matthews II.

Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1688816&postcount=29)

Reed's 1.54 10 yard split was faster than all D linemen, and was faster than Von Miller, AJ Green, Bowers, and Randall Cobb. Matthews' was 1.49.

He's a little raw, but we finally have a defensive coach who can minimize that concern.

steelbtexan
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't think anyone has been banished to a corner. I don't think Wade was lying when he described a very congenial discussion with everyone involved.

I love both of these picks.

Do you think it's a coincedence that after yrs of drafting defense it finally appears that Rick and Gary got it right? I would seem that there's finally a voice in the room that knows what he's doing when it comes to drafting defensive talent.

Rey
04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Wade's definitely had a major impact on this draft. That's is without a question in my mind.

infantrycak
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM

Do you think it's a coincedence that after yrs of drafting defense it finally appears that Rick and Gary got it right? I would seem that there's finally a voice in the room that knows what he's doing when it comes to drafting defensive talent.

No doubt Wade has brought a ton of experience and knowledge to the table and has definitely influenced the draft. I am just disputing the notion he is in total control. I think it is a collaborative effort in which great deference is given to Wade on D and to Kubiak if we ever take anyone on O.

Corrosion
04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Like the position , not so sure about the player. Exact opposite of the round one pick , like the player not the position. Had said I thought he was a bit over rated in another thread. Hopefully he makes me eat crow.

:d:

Nawzer
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3XpicCh9ho

Don't know if you guys have watched this, but here's a quick interview by ESPN after Brooks Reed got drafted. It was kind of hilarious when he didn't know that Peyton Manning was in the same division. He's probably a bit shocked that he's in the NFL. Dude looks buff though.

Mr teX
04-29-2011, 10:00 PM

This is it right here. I think Smith relied heavily on what his defensive coaches told him in regards to evaluating talent & in an effort to appease them he went with who they wanted....even if he disagreed at times. As you guys point out on a daily basis, neither of our last 2 d-coordinators knew what the hell to look for to fit their scheme much less how to select players to fit cohesively in a scheme.

......These are all things Wade knows how to do obviously from his experience over the years as a D-coord. He brought coaches in who know what he looks for to fit in his scheme. I'm willing to bet that players we sign in FA for defense will also improve by virtue of this.

thunderkyss
04-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Didn't Mathews play LB in College? I think it's a little different, plus he was a walk on.

Mr teX
04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Like the position , not so sure about the player. Exact opposite of the round one pick , like the player not the position. Had said I thought he was a bit over rated in another thread. Hopefully he makes me eat crow.

He is a bit overrated in the sense that people think he'll be the 2nd coming of Clay Matthews III........& he's not b/c he doesn't have quite the same athleticism.

To me he's closer to a James Harrison type from a build & pass rushing style standpoint b/c both are motor guys & are fairly compact/stout. He just uses the inside spin move more often. He's also most comfortable rushing the passer & not in coverage like harrison. He'll make impact plays but he won't be the force that CM III is.....that still doesn't mean that he can't be a very good starter for us though. He truthfully only gets the CM III comparisons b/c he's a white guy with long blonde hair coming from under his helmet...........oh & they both projected to the same position in the NFL.

Spled
04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Look at him destroying Colts draft pick Costanzo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nST9RPCp_Ew

thunderkyss
04-29-2011, 10:16 PM

Don't know if you guys have watched this, but here's a quick interview by ESPN after Brooks Reed got drafted. It was kind of hilarious when he didn't know that Peyton Manning was in the same division. He's probably a bit shocked that he's in the NFL. Dude looks buff though.

Who was the cougar in the back-ground??

Thorn
04-29-2011, 10:21 PM

I think he's a good pick for where he's at, and what we gave up for him. The shame is in how long it took us to get here.

Then again, draft euphoria hits a lot of folks each year. It's been happening here for years, but no cake, icing or ice cream afterwards. God I hope this year is different.

Vinnie
04-29-2011, 10:23 PM

I like how he kind of chokes on "great organization" when describing the Texans at around 0:24.

Vinnie
04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Who was the cougar in the back-ground??

Who cares? Wish we could have seen more of that brunette though!

badboy
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
No doubt Wade has brought a ton of experience and knowledge to the table and has definitely influenced the draft. I am just disputing the notion he is in total control. I think it is a collaborative effort in which great deference is given to Wade on D and to Kubiak if we ever take anyone on O.Good post.

Vinnie
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
No doubt Wade has brought a ton of experience and knowledge to the table and has definitely influenced the draft. I am just disputing the notion he is in total control. I think it is a collaborative effort in which great deference is given to Wade on D and to Kubiak if we ever take anyone on O.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we don't.

97roc
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
He pretty much fell into our lap. And I heard we were trying to trade up to get him. Like the first three picks... Excellente!

nero THE zero
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I like how he kind of chokes on "great organization" when describing the Texans at around 0:24.

He pretty much choked on the entire interview. He sounds like me when I have to do public speaking.

Hottoddie
04-30-2011, 01:08 AM

Finally, I can fill in my signature.

I love the pick. Did anyone else have flashbacks to Cushing's interview when he was drafted by the Texans? They both came across as low key & in a state of shock. Let's hope that Reed can have a DROY season like Cushing did.

By the way Reed, say goodbye to that hair. If you haven't heard, the Texan's players seem to have something against long hair on rookies. :D

Corrosion
04-30-2011, 01:15 AM
He is a bit overrated in the sense that people think he'll be the 2nd coming of Clay Matthews III........& he's not b/c he doesn't have quite the same athleticism.

To me he's closer to a James Harrison type from a build & pass rushing style standpoint b/c both are motor guys & are fairly compact/stout. He just uses the inside spin move more often. He's also most comfortable rushing the passer & not in coverage like harrison. He'll make impact plays but he won't be the force that CM III is.....that still doesn't mean that he can't be a very good starter for us though. He truthfully only gets the CM III comparisons b/c he's a white guy with long blonde hair coming from under his helmet...........oh & they both projected to the same position in the NFL.

I can see the comparison to Harrison - You remember this post and point it out to me later so I can eat some crow .... I dont mind and actually hope Im wrong.

I think he's a good pick for where he's at, and what we gave up for him. The shame is in how long it took us to get here.

Then again, draft euphoria hits a lot of folks each year. It's been happening here for years, but no cake, icing or ice cream afterwards. God I hope this year is different.

Man I so want cake and icecream ..... around superbowl time. :trophy:

Tx Longhorn
04-30-2011, 02:49 AM
I love the pick. I advocated trading down to get him in the first, I'm ESTATIC to see Houston get him in the second.

Between he and Watt, this defense took a 360 in mentality. Watt and Reed are high energy, high character player with non-stop motors. Both have high football IQs and play every down like it's the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

I've viewed Reed as a potential 10-12 sacks a year guy, Watt as a 6-8 sack a year guy who's always putting pressure on the QB. Their skills really balance off each other and Mario Williams added to the mix has to be the happiest man on Planet Earth today, because his double teams will go down substantially and his sack totals should take a step up.

So far, so good. Wasn't entirely the plan I had, but I'm loving what they're doing!

DocBar
04-30-2011, 03:18 AM

Overview

Analysis

Negatives: Appears a bit stiff in the hips and doesn't change directions well. Has bull and speed rushes and an OK spin move as pass rush techniques - that's it. Spin move is the double-move. Doesn't disengage from blocks effectively. Did not fare well against better competition. While effort is good, isn't very effective as a lineman against the run, and can be overpowered and washed. Doesn't have a lot of experience in pass coverage.So which one is it? You see so many of these contradictions in these analysis pieces. It reminds me of reading a horoscope or a fortune cookie. I'm good with the pick and I'm good with "fast motor, high effort guys". That trumps the "ton of talent but takes plays off" IMO.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
So which one is it? You see so many of these contradictions in these analysis pieces. It reminds me of reading a horoscope or a fortune cookie. I'm good with the pick and I'm good with "fast motor, high effort guys". That trumps the "ton of talent but takes plays off" IMO.

I should have caught that contradiction. But several reviews I have read have mentioned "stiff hips," and the bull rush and twist had made him more of a one trick pony. The latter seems to be born out in his highlight reels.

Along with many conversion candidates from defensive end, he's going to have to learn how to play in space and drop into coverage....not something that can be taken for granted, especially at the next level. He's a Texan now and I hope the coaching staff will be able to turn him into a feared OLB.

b0ng
04-30-2011, 09:19 AM
NEVERMIND this post. I thought I was in a different thread.

thunderkyss
04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
I should have caught that contradiction. But several reviews I have read have mentioned "stiff hips," and the bull rush and twist had made him more of a one trick pony. The latter seems to be born out in his highlight reels.

Along with many conversion candidates from defensive end, he's going to have to learn how to play in space and drop into coverage....not something that can be taken for granted, especially at the next level. He's a Texan now and I hope the coaching staff will be able to turn him into a feared OLB.

Here is the opinion (http://packerchatters.com/?p=24936) of some guy in Wisconsin:
The biggest reason why I donít consider Reed an upper echelon prospect and pass rusher is because of his lack of fluidity and change of direction skills off the edge. On tape when he does reach the corner he lacks the ability to drop his pad level and really flatten out on the corner, consistently allowing his pad level to remain high, and opposing blockers can easily push him past the QB. Thus, he makes a lot of his plays on the edge due to second effort.

rmartin65
04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Here is the opinion (http://packerchatters.com/?p=24936) of some guy in Wisconsin:

I have the same reservations, as I have called him a linear athlete throughout the process. He is talented, but expecting anything close to CM3 production is a delusion. I could see him being a 7-10 sack guy in his prime. I am happy with it though; 7-10 sacks is good to have, and he will provide constant pressure throughout the game. I am more excited about Watt and Harries though.

Tailgate
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Reed blowing past Colts first round pick Castonzo at the Senior Bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nST9RPCp_Ew&feature=related