PDA

View Full Version : JJ Watt- Do you like the pick, or not?

rmartin65
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Lets not discuss the pick here, this is simply a poll. Discussion can take place in one of the 3 other threads on Watt.

jaayteetx
04-29-2011, 11:03 AM
well, maybe you should include a poll.

rmartin65
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
well, maybe you should include a poll.

It takes a little while to make the poll.

HOU-TEX
04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Me likey

The1ApplePie
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
If the Texans get a pass rusher in the 2nd round, then it sounds good to me.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2011, 11:17 AM
considering that their OLB is going to be Mario and Barwin, I am loving the pick

They potentially solved to their OLB problem with this pick.

Mario DeMeco Cushing Barwin

Watt Mitchell/Cody Smith

now they need to address the secondary in the later rounds or FA and this could be a nice start to a very good defense...

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Mario will not be an OLB.

I LOOVVEE the JJ Watt pick.

ThaShark316
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Let's just say I can't wait to control dude in Madden12.

Love this pick.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Funny, that is exactly what Phillips said in his presser, so you know something the defensive coordinator doesn't?

gafftop
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM

I agree 100%. Mario is not an OLB. Straight line speed only.
JJ is a safe pick.

dream_team
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I went with neutral, solely based on position. I thought DE was one of our least concerns with Mario and Antonio. I really wanted to see that 1st round pick used on a DB, OLB, or NT. At the time, I was hoping they'd grab Prince, Quinn, or Fairley.

TBH, I don't know much about Watt... but when I heard he has an never-ending motor, that's what really got my attention. That's exactly the kind of player this defense needs!

Now I did hear Wade say he may play Mario at some OLB... that's a big question mark to me. If we thought Cush was out of position at the Mike, this is even worse to me. But then again, who am I claiming to know more than Wade Phillips about football?

False Start
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I wasn't sold at first but after doing some research, I think he will be pretty good.

chicagotexan2
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2554/4137274551_1d12ab907d.jpg

I think he looks like the Byron Hadley the Jailer in Shawshank

http://moviemikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/clancy-brown-shawshank-redemption.jpg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/7/82/373/78237366-b8c8-11df-9b2b-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4c835633564b4.preview-300.jpg

Mr teX
04-29-2011, 11:58 AM
i went with nuetral simply b/c i'll wait to see how the rest of the draft shapes up. Lets see what they have in store for the 2nd & 3rd rounds....that'll give me a better idea of how our #1 pick will shape our defense....it'll also give us a better idea of who's not likely to be here & everyone's roles.

For example:

selecting Paea in the 2nd all but seals the deal for Cody imo

selecting A. Williams might mean that Quinn stays at cb...or he in fact will move to safety & they'll hit FA for a vet cb to go along with KJ

selecting a rush OLB might mean that Mario isn't going to be our OLB like everyone's predicting...or that Barwin will be playing less of a role than some of us orginally thought.

there are a whole host of other scenarios though.

One thing is for sure, we'll have plenty of options to fortify this defense.

My personal hope is that Ayers is there for us.....if not then i'll be fine with A. Williams.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Funny, that is exactly what Phillips said in his presser, so you know something the defensive coordinator doesn't?

What I mean is Mario will not move to OLB full time. Yes he'll play the position some b/c Watt brings us so much versatility. Many instances where Mario will be lined up as an OLB (from a purely x's and o's standpoint) he will really be another DE. Wade is creative.

Mario's strength is playing up on the line of scrimmage whether he's technically called a DE or OLB.... that's where he'll be. Wade did not say Mario will be our Outside Linebacker full time.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
What I mean is Mario will not move to OLB full time. Yes he'll play the position some b/c Watt brings us so much versatility. Many instances where Mario will be lined up as an OLB (from a purely x's and o's standpoint) he will really be another DE. Wade is creative.

Mario's strength is playing up on the line of scrimmage whether he's technically called a DE or OLB.... that's where he'll be. Wade did not say Mario will be our Outside Linebacker full time.

:bravo: a DE in a 2pt stance so to speak....

Seemed that he did when he said Mario and Barwin will be the OLBs but guess we shall see. I personally think Mario would be an exceptional rushing OLB, but we will have to wait and see...

BullNation4Life
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
I went with neutral, solely based on position. I thought DE was one of our least concerns with Mario and Antonio. I really wanted to see that 1st round pick used on a DB, OLB, or NT. At the time, I was hoping they'd grab Prince, Quinn, or Fairley.

TBH, I don't know much about Watt... but when I heard he has an never-ending motor, that's what really got my attention. That's exactly the kind of player this defense needs!

Now I did hear Wade say he may play Mario at some OLB... that's a big question mark to me. If we thought Cush was out of position at the Mike, this is even worse to me. But then again, who am I claiming to know more than Wade Phillips about football?

Well look at it this way, if Mario succeeds and the team does good, WIN

If Mario fails and the team fails, Kubiak gets fired...WIN

That would make Texans fans Bi-Winning.....

Hottoddie
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I was really surprised we took Watt with Quinn still on the board & of course, I would've preferred Amukamara. But, having said that, I'm okay with this pick & it's my belief that we'll see Watt play a lot of NT in this system.

The one thing that's for sure is that we got us a stud player with the #11 pick. I'm happy with that.

badboy
04-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Mario's strength is playing up on the line of scrimmage whether he's technically called a DE or OLB.... that's where he'll be. Wade did not say Mario will be our Outside Linebacker full time.yep if Barwin return healthy, we need an OLB for just a few games if that much. That is why I want OLB in 4th such as Mason Foster or Dontay Moch.

BigBull17
04-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I was really surprised we took Watt with Quinn still on the board & of course, I would've preferred Amukamara. But, having said that, I'm okay with this pick & it's my belief that we'll see Watt play a lot of NT in this system.

The one thing that's for sure is that we got us a stud player with the #11 pick. I'm happy with that.

Prince didn't feel right to me. I don't think he is any better than the cluster of guys who will be there in the 2nd. I have Harris a little above him anyway.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
:bravo: a DE in a 2pt stance so to speak....

Seemed that he did when he said Mario and Barwin will be the OLBs but guess we shall see. I personally think Mario would be an exceptional rushing OLB, but we will have to wait and see...

Not sure I understand your first part. Mario being a DE in a 2 pt stance... I think that's what you got even if you call it an OLB. lol Shoot - move Mario to Nose Tackle for some playes and he's a DE playing Nose. That's just how I feel.

I can't wait for the season to start and I'm really looking forward to watching Wade turn this D around. Much of that having to do with him moving Mario and Watt to different positions and putting them in the best positions to succeed.

Texan_Bill
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Other than the fact we drafted another tight end, errrrr d-lineman who is a "pasty", "high character" guy.....
YES, I like the pick!

False Start
04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Stone Cold is a fan.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/StoneColdWhat-135.gif

Allstar
04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Let's not get it twisted, buddy. Mario will definitely see limited snaps at OLB, but our 295 lb 6'7 best DLineman is not going to be starting games standing up. I know Wade sort of worded it awkwardly, but common sense has to kick in at some point, no?

Texan_Bill
04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Stone Cold is a fan.

What??!??!? You standin' there with your little meely mouth, WHAT???!?!?

Corrosion
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Im good with the player , question the choice of position .... He is a top tier talent tho.

False Start
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
What??!??!? You standin' there with your little meely mouth, WHAT???!?!?

Watt 3:16 says I just sacked your ass! :wild:

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Stone Cold is a fan.

Yup... Watt is going to be doing this in the locker room before every game to get PUMPED UP!

http://www.wrestlingvalley.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/25.jpg

DocBar
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
considering that their OLB is going to be Mario and Barwin, I am loving the pick

They potentially solved to their OLB problem with this pick.

Mario DeMeco Cushing Barwin

Watt Mitchell/Cody Smith

now they need to address the secondary in the later rounds or FA and this could be a nice start to a very good defense...

Phillips has said several times that Mario will keep his hand on the ground. He also said Mario took a false step every time he was asked to rush from a 2 point stance.

Nawzer
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't know enough about this guy to say whether or not I like this guy. I'll like him if he helps us win. Simple as that.

Texan_Bill
04-29-2011, 12:56 PM

:spit: Well played, sir!

Texan_Bill
04-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Just posted this on twitter, giving you full credit, of course!

Texecutioner
04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
For now this pick is meh for me. I'll admit that I didn't watch him much in college so I don't want to to be to critical of him at this point. From the footage I saw though, he looked slow to me and lacked a burst from the outside. Might have just been the footage I've seen. He looks like he'll be a good player to me with a high motor which I like, but I don't think he'll ever be a great player and a true difference maker type of DE. Watt would have probably been picked around the 20's range as well, so we got him a little high. Trading down would have been a little better, but trading down isn't always an option for every team so you can't knock every team for not trading down if the option isn't there in the first place. I would have liked a few other guys that were still on the board as well. If our 2nd round picks end up being really good that fill other holes it might not be as bad, but this pick doesn't excite me as of now.

Hardcore Texan
04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
it takes a little while to make the poll.

twss!

BullNation4Life
04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Not sure I understand your first part. Mario being a DE in a 2 pt stance... I think that's what you got even if you call it an OLB. lol Shoot - move Mario to Nose Tackle for some playes and he's a DE playing Nose. That's just how I feel.

I can't wait for the season to start and I'm really looking forward to watching Wade turn this D around. Much of that having to do with him moving Mario and Watt to different positions and putting them in the best positions to succeed.

I meant Mario at the 5 tech, outside shoulder of Tackle, but in a 2pt stance, standing up which basically is an rushing OLB so....

They used this for him, I think in his 12 sack year. They had 3 LBs but the DEs were standing up rushing...

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I meant Mario at the 5 tech, outside shoulder of Tackle, but in a 2pt stance, standing up which basically is an rushing OLB so....

They used this for him, I think in his 12 sack year. They had 3 LBs but the DEs were standing up rushing...

I gotcha. Yea I think from a true x's and o's standpoint there will be many instances where he will be technically an "OLB". But his responsibilities, I don't think he's going to be your typical OLB that most think of when thinking 3-4 OLB. I hope we see another 12 sack year out of him this season!

False Start
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Just posted this on twitter, giving you full credit, of course!

Garcia! :tiphat: I think I have my sign for the game next year.

chicagotexan2
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Yup... Watt is going to be doing this in the locker room before every game to get PUMPED UP!

http://www.wrestlingvalley.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/25.jpg

Remember what Charles Hayley used to do to get 'pumped up' before games? It was similar to this but it wasn't beer spraying around. YUCK!!!!

gafftop
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Anybody watch Parcells draft special? They showed glimpses of the board. JJ Watt was at the top of his group. I assume that is was his actual draft board. I sure hope it was.

HOU-TEX
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Anybody watch Parcells draft special? They showed glimpses of the board. JJ Watt was at the top of his group. I assume that is was his actual draft board. I sure hope it was.

Didn't he have Brooks Reed as a 3rd or 4th round talent too?

Texan_Bill
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Stone Cold is a fan.

Per Sean on 1560, we as Texans fans should yell What? Everytime he makes a tackle or gets a sack...

Anouncer: "On the tackle #99 JJ Watt."

Crowd: "What?!?!?"

DocBar
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM

They used this for him, I think in his 12 sack year. They had 3 LBs but the DEs were standing up rushing...This link shows Phillips might be changing his mind.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/player?r=1

This link is what he was saying before they got Watt.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-14/mario-williams-will-stay-at-defensive-end-in-texans-defense

Sorry, I don't know how to make "this" an actual link. I'm technology challenged.

False Start
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Per Sean on 1560, we as Texans fans should yell What? Everytime he makes a tackle or gets a sack...

:cool:

The whole skit popped into my head as soon as the pick was announced. I actually said "WHAT?!" :heh:

The sumbitch better pan out.

Rey
04-29-2011, 03:51 PM
This link shows Phillips might be changing his mind.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/player?r=1

This link is what he was saying before they got Watt.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-14/mario-williams-will-stay-at-defensive-end-in-texans-defense

Sorry, I don't know how to make "this" an actual link. I'm technology challenged.

Just highlight the word and then click on the insert link icon...

Señor Stan
04-29-2011, 03:54 PM

JJ could make like he is cleaning the ear hole of his helmet after a sack.

Rey
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I wanted Von Miller or Peterson.

That said, I am happy with this pick. I was not thrilled about the OLB prospects that were available and since Julio was off the board I thought Watt was a good, solid choice.

Dude is a freak of an athlete and he has a non-stop motor. He has demonstrated excellent work ethic and has not been coddled as a superior athlete all the way to the NFL. He's really earned his way to where he is now.

Also, I like the flexibility it gives us with our personnel. I'm not big on having Mario standing up on a consistent basis, but in certain situations it could be really effective. I like the fact that Watt can play all up and down the d-line.

And those saying that he isn't flashy...Well, he actually is...

Dude is a physical freak. He's a big human being and he can move that frame. He also seems smart and instinctive on the field.

Rey
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM

The whole skit popped into my head as soon as the pick was announced. I actually said "WHAT?!" :heh:

The sumbitch better pan out.

False Start...Is it ok if I use your sig?

Texan_Bill
04-29-2011, 03:59 PM

The sumbitch better pan out. What?!!??

Fixed....... What?!?!

Rey
04-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Watched a couple of clips of him and some things that really stand out:

-Very quick of the ball for a man of his size...Very quick

-Very good change of direction skills. Shows that when he gets by his man he actually has the ability to make the tackle on shiftier opponents.

-Takes Great angles on his pass rush. Shows good ability rushing from the edge and from the interior.

-Excellent use of his hands. Also uses the swim move with good effectiveness. Engages bloskers and gets off of them to make plays extremely well. TE's will not be able to block this guy at all.

-Athletic freak. Relentless. Plays with a ton of passion. Will not be many (if any) people that play harder than he will. Very big, Very strong. He's a leg tackler which is something I love from my D-linemen. Long wing span allows him to make some tackles that other players may not be able to make.

My overview: Dude is going to make an impact from day one. He will be one of the better players on the defense. I am absolutely sure of that. I did not pay much attention to him before the draft, but after studying him more in the past few hours I am extremely, extremely impressed.

The only thing I am concerned about is his transition to the NFL. Really though, I'm not concerned. Just felt like I needed to throw a negative in there somewhere.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Watched a couple of clips of him and some things that really stand out:

-Very quick of the ball for a man of his size...Very quick

-Very good change of direction skills. Shows that when he gets by his man he actually has the ability to make the tackle on shiftier opponents.

-Takes Great angles on his pass rush. Shows good ability rushing from the edge and from the interior.

-Excellent use of his hands. Also uses the swim move with good effectiveness. Engages bloskers and gets off of them to make plays extremely well. TE's will not be able to block this guy at all.

-Athletic freak. Relentless. Plays with a ton of passion. Will not be many (if any) people that play harder than he will. Very big, Very strong. He's a leg tackler which is something I love from my D-linemen. Long wing span allows him to make some tackles that other players may not be able to make.

My overview: Dude is going to make an impact from day one. He will be one of the better players on the defense. I am absolutely sure of that. I did not pay much attention to him before the draft, but after studying him more in the past few hours I am extremely, extremely impressed.

The only thing I am concerned about is his transition to the NFL. Really though, I'm not concerned. Just felt like I needed to throw a negative in there somewhere.
Good post - I agree. I'm really really excited. I think this is a great start to our draft. I need to pace myself because I'm starting to think this 2011 draft could end up being our best to-date. I think it will rival that of the 2006 class we hauled in and that's really saying something.

rmartin65
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Good post - I agree. I'm really really excited. I think this is a great start to our draft. I need to pace myself because I'm starting to think this 2011 draft could end up being our best to-date. I think it will rival that of the 2006 class we hauled in and that's really saying something.

Haha, after 1 pick!?

Strange thing is, I agree. This is the best I have felt about a Texans' first rounder since I started following the draft heavily. Add to that the fact that this is shaping up to be a pretty decent class, and I feel good about the future.

badboy
04-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Agreed after pick one I am way ahead of where I was after KJ. I think Watt will become only stronger in NFL. I was concerned this draft may not offer good picks for Houston but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It will be difficult to focus on only one or two players coming in next season and we still need to add Tate to the mix. Also, having no free agency has worked as I hoped by pushing QB up in first and I think we will see two more QBs go before Texans in second.

The1ApplePie
04-29-2011, 04:35 PM
If Fairley or Quinn live up to their man-beast potential, then this may not be the best pick. That wouldn't be JJ's fault, its just that their positions have bigger impact usually.

Take them out of the equation though, and you have a great pick

False Start
04-29-2011, 04:35 PM
False Start...Is it ok if I use your sig?

Sure.

Señor Stan
04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Haha, after 1 pick!?

Strange thing is, I agree. This is the best I have felt about a Texans' first rounder since I started following the draft heavily. Add to that the fact that this is shaping up to be a pretty decent class, and I feel good about the future.

I feel even better after hearing this from Wade's presser....

Q: Does the selection of Watt change the defensive focus in later rounds?

Phillips: "No. We need to get defensive players. Our coaches that were in the room, we're holding up defense every time we get a chance. When Rick looks back, we're holding up defense. We still need some more defensive players. What's best for the team is what's best for me, I don't mean that. I think it's clear that we need a lot of defense in this draft."

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Haha, after 1 pick!?

Agreed after pick one I am way ahead of where I was after KJ. I think Watt will become only stronger in NFL. I was concerned this draft may not offer good picks for Houston but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It will be difficult to focus on only one or two players coming in next season and we still need to add Tate to the mix. Also, having no free agency has worked as I hoped by pushing QB up in first and I think we will see two more QBs go before Texans in second.
I know I know.... LOL. 1 pick into it and I'm beside myself. I really think Watt could become our best defensive player, better than Mario. But the two of them will be incredible together.

I think we're sitting well only 10 picks in to the 2nd round with a buttload of talent still available. And I think we'll be able to get a solid contributer in the 3rd. 4th on can provide some really good depth across our Defense.

Most of my excitement stems from the confidence I have in Wade Phillips. I think he know's these players, this draft, and how to pick the defense. We havn't had that the last few years. This draft is primarily going to be to address the Defense and with it going to a new scheme, Wade's going to get some players that will contribute.

Much like the '06 draft was after a regime change... I view this is too. Mario, Demeco, Winston, Daniels... new offense new defense. Now its a new defense with a bright mind getting the luxury of taking his guys. Gary, Rick, Wade, Bob all know they're going to address the $h*t out of the D. Then in Free Agency I pray to the high heavens we're able to sign a legit veteran CB and hopefully a SS.

I see a very quick turnaround to this team and we win the division. That's right I said it. No wildcard... we flat out WIN IT. Ok now I'm done with the kool aid and I'm happy to pass it on for yall to drink. It's delicious... I got it from pizza hut. ;) lol

FirstTexansFan
04-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Ok now I'm done with the kool aid and I'm happy to pass it on for yall to drink. It's delicious... I got it from pizza hut. ;) lol

Did JJ Watt deliver it? :)

DocBar
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Just highlight the word and then click on the insert link icon...

Like this (http://http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-14/mario-williams-will-stay-at-defensive-end-in-texans-defense)? Thanks man.

Maddict5
04-29-2011, 05:46 PM
wow texans fans giving watt a huge thumbs up (from me too btw) judging by the poll...

i thought our pick could only get that type of approval rating if von or PP fell to us

Thorn
04-29-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm very glad we have this guy. I would have rather seen us go with either a SS, CB or OLB with that pick, but I'm happy nonetheless with Watt. They picked the BPA with that either because they wanted him or couldn't trade down for something worthwhile.

Considering our draft history, I'll take him. :)

gafftop
04-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Ok looked on replay

DE
Watt
Bowers
Heyward
jordan
Quinn
Claybourne
first round

Bailey
Acho
mid-low 2nd

But wait under DC he had Prince above Peterson
Something not right!!!

Big Lou
04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Was this guy in the Texans War Room?

http://www.journalicious.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/lil_jon.jpg

NFL Official: Who's your pick Rick?

Rick Smith: Pri....(Interupted by loud noise)

Lil Jon (In the back ground): WHAAATTTT????

NFL Official: JJ Watt?

Rick Smith: No, no, no, no.....

NFL Official: Then who is the pick?

Lil Jon: WWWHAAATTTT?

NFL Official: JJ Watt Defensive End from Wisconsin?

Rick Smith: No, no, our pick is Nebra......

Lil Jon: WHHAAATTTT?

NFL Official: That's you pick?

Lil Jon: YYEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Corrosion
04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
WTF is that shit in his mouth ..... :kubepalm:

TheMatrix31
04-30-2011, 05:34 AM

Arrrrrrrgh please no.

I hate that shit enough in wrestling.

Though the thought "1.21 JJ Watts!" crossed my mind.

Second Honeymoon
04-30-2011, 08:38 AM
i don't like the pick but i like the player. i felt we had enough at DL and was willing to see how Wade's new system improved their performance. Obviously, the Texans brass felt they needed more.

i wanted Quinn or Prince, so I didn't like the pick. JJ Watt, the player, I do like.

I liked the 2nd Round pick in Reed and I liked the trade up because it only cost us a 5th to move up quite a ways. Belichik was obviously not enamored with anyone too much to trade for so little compensation.

As much as I may not have liked the selection, I do feel more secure with Wade identifying defensive talent. Lord knows that Rick and Gary were incompetent at doing that.

GO TEXANS

I do understand the Texans passing over Quinn for medical reasons, and it was refreshing to hear that they liked him but just couldn't pull trigger due to tumor. At least they knew the guy was the best guy on the board...and he was.

False Start
05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
http://img640.imageshack.us/img640/836/wovgb.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/640/wovgb.jpg/)

H.C.4100-Bloc
05-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Good pick,should start rookie year.

nut
05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Time will tell

thunderkyss
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I like the player.

But I'm still confused about what Wade wants to do. Moving Mario to OLB & some of the things Wade has said, makes me think they had their eye on someone else, a better 3-4 OLB prospect than Brooks Reed.

But then they pick Brooks Reed anyway.

So we've got Mario standing up, Watt playing the 5 tech, Barwin/Reed playing the SAM. But... we'll be moving Cushing to SAM on occasion as well.

Again, I like Reed as well....... & I do love a potent DL rotation.....

I'm just really, really confused.

Rey
05-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I like Watt a lot, but I still think they should have traded up.

I think Mario will be fine if he is rushing the QB 95% of the time, but I am not sold on Barwin nor Reed being the answer at the other OLB spot. I also am curious to see how Demeco looks coming off injury.

Plus, I think the 5-2 is susceptible to giving up big passing plays..

Ideally I would have liked to select a stud OLB and let MArio stay at DE and play a more traditional 3-4. But que sara sara.

CloakNNNdagger
05-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Here is a VIDEO (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-everything-to-prove/09000d5d81ffe057/Everything-to-Prove-Episode-15?module=HP_video) that NFL.com has just posted. It's titled "EVERYTHING TO PROVE." It's about JJ Watt.

2slik4u
05-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Here is a VIDEO (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-everything-to-prove/09000d5d81ffe057/Everything-to-Prove-Episode-15?module=HP_video) that NFL.com has just posted. It's titled "EVERYTHING TO PROVE." It's about JJ Watt.

Kid's a beast. Plus his mom is kinda hot too......at least in that one shot....

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2011, 09:19 AM
John McClain writes a piece for ESPN which includes comments that, if correct, leaves me somewhat disturbed.

Watt may have been drafted too high, but he is a great fit in the 3-4 scheme and should start as a rookie. He is a tall, long-armed lineman with good strength and excellent toughness, but he lacks the explosiveness and elite athleticism to be an impact pass rusher in the NFL.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-06/nfl-outlook/story/texans-outlook-defensive-metamorphosis-holds-key-to-houstons-season#ixzz1QxA17Nzl

ArlingtonTexan
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
John McClain writes a piece for ESPN which includes comments that, if correct, leaves me somewhat disturbed.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-06/nfl-outlook/story/texans-outlook-defensive-metamorphosis-holds-key-to-houstons-season#ixzz1QxA17Nzl

He is wrong on both accounts

1) Everything I heard in these parts was that Watts was very high on the 3-4 cowboys boards and would have been a serious contender at #9 if the OT was not there.

2) Watts combine numbers were above average in every category including speed and explosion drills for DEs while he was one of the larger players at the position in the combine. They were closer to Mario williams's insane workout than a guy with average physical skils.

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2011, 11:54 AM
He is wrong on both accounts

1) Everything I heard in these parts was that Watts was very high on the 3-4 cowboys boards and would have been a serious contender at #9 if the OT was not there.

2) Watts combine numbers were above average in every category including speed and explosion drills for DEs while he was one of the larger players at the position in the combine. They were closer to Mario williams's insane workout than a guy with average physical skils.

This is why I posted these comments.............they basically came out of nowhere from McClain. McClain is getting me increasingly uncomfortable with his reporting.........not that I have really ever felt very warm and comfy with it. Seems like he has gotten more and more focused on putting attention (through wild guesses that don't make sense or "sources" that more resemble Harvey the rabbit) on himself, rather than on accurately reporting the facts and the Texans' true "state of the union.":toropalm:

Rey
07-02-2011, 12:44 PM
What's even more disturbing is the depth chart below the piece. McClain had to have given them that depth chart.

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
What's even more disturbing is the depth chart below the piece. McClain had to have given them that depth chart.

Dang sure, the Texans didn't.

Señor Stan
07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
JJ Watt's latest tweet...

Success is not owned, it's rented and rent is due everyday. #DBWH

Dang, I hope this guy will walk the talk.

HOU-TEX
07-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Yep, I read his tweets all the time. He sounds like an awesome guy and definitely works his butt off. Like you, I hope he pans out for us. He sounds like he will

Texecutioner
07-13-2011, 04:08 PM

This is exactly what I noticed about him when watching him on film. Granted I didn't really watch him in college though. But on film this guy just looks like an average player to me with a high motor. I didn't see the explosiveness off the line that I like to see out of an NFL DE. That worries me.

beerlover
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
This is exactly what I noticed about him when watching him on film. Granted I didn't really watch him in college though. But on film this guy just looks like an average player to me with a high motor. I didn't see the explosiveness off the line that I like to see out of an NFL DE. That worries me.

That's a problem unless you actually watched him play, least a small sample size of actual live games. He has exceptional awareness of snap count, his assignment & how to work through double teams with a non-stop motor. He doesn't wow you as a physical specimen like Mario Williams but he will open holes for him to excel. When O Linemen disengages Watt to pick-up Mario, JJ will shed off & straight to the QB which creates a pick & roll so to speak making Texan sack numbers spike upwards.

Texecutioner
07-13-2011, 04:34 PM
That's a problem unless you actually watched him play, least a small sample size of actual live games. He has exceptional awareness of snap count, his assignment & how to work through double teams with a non-stop motor. He doesn't wow you as a physical specimen like Mario
Williams but he will open holes for him to excel.

I hope you're right. LIke I said I've looked at small samples of him, but he doesn't looks explosive or quick at all to me, and that's one of the biggst key factors for lineman.

thunderkyss
01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
In today's live presser, JJ said he remembers seeing a lot of negative reaction to the pick & that he's worked hard to prove them wrong.

Am I reading this wrong, because I'm not seeing a lot of negative reaction... a lot of confusion, but not a lot of negative.

Señor Stan
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Success is not owned, it's rented and rent is due everyday. #DBWH

Ummm...file that under YES HE WILL!

Say Watt
01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
These old threads are always fun to read. Interesting to have it confirmed why we are not the coaches and GMs. Don't think there ever should have been any question about the Watt pick.

Jaysol
01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
In today's live presser, JJ said he remembers seeing a lot of negative reaction to the pick & that he's worked hard to prove them wrong.

Am I reading this wrong, because I'm not seeing a lot of negative reaction... a lot of confusion, but not a lot of negative.

Just because you don't see negative feedback here, doesn't mean it isn't anywhere else. Quick Google search netted...

NSFW (language) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOsn3gTrKM

I'm always more of a "lets see how this fully pans out" before I start burning people in effigy. In hind site, I'm sure even the few negative pollsters can admit they were wrong and Watt was an amazing pickup for this team.

Rey
01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I wanted Von Miller or Peterson.

That said, I am happy with this pick. I was not thrilled about the OLB prospects that were available and since Julio was off the board I thought Watt was a good, solid choice.

Dude is a freak of an athlete and he has a non-stop motor. He has demonstrated excellent work ethic and has not been coddled as a superior athlete all the way to the NFL. He's really earned his way to where he is now.

Also, I like the flexibility it gives us with our personnel. I'm not big on having Mario standing up on a consistent basis, but in certain situations it could be really effective. I like the fact that Watt can play all up and down the d-line.

And those saying that he isn't flashy...Well, he actually is...

Dude is a physical freak. He's a big human being and he can move that frame. He also seems smart and instinctive on the field.

I always like to look back at what I say....I guess I was kinda right...:roast:

Perki-Perk
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I wasn't a member of Texanstalk way back in April (I'm a cyber "bandwagoner") lol. Anyway I remember being rather neutral initially about the pick, because I knew we wouldn't get Von at the 11 spot, so it was kind of, let's see who we get. I also believed that Phillips would have a hand in the draft, and that was apparent.

As I started looking at Watt highlights, I got more and more excited about the possibility. Although, I can still hear my Cowboy and Titan buddies in my head "7-9, maybe 8-8".

Yeah, they don't say much anymore, they just glare at me when I ask them, "So, who's your team playing this weekend?? Oh, yeah, that's right."

GO TEXANS!

Dutchrudder
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I kind of wonder what our team would be like if we had gotten Aldon Smith as our OLB and let Mario play DE instead. I know there were some rumors leading up to the draft that the Texans would take Smith with the 11th pick if he was there, but SF took him a few picks before us. Worked out either way, but it's interesting to consider.

beerlover
01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Kinda scary looking back if your wrong, in JJ Watt's case it's quite rewarding. Guess that is one facet of the Draft which keeps on giving.

Texan_Bill
01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Paul Kuharsky @espn_afcsouth 20m
Open Details Castonzo not the caliber of J.J. Watt http://es.pn/yfZOmf

Houston defensive end J.J. Watt should be on any all rookie team. “(He) is such a good player that if you played him in a 4-3 it would work. He can beat tackles with his speed and guards with his power; that’s a pretty complete player who got stronger as the season went on.”

On my ballot for PFW, I voted for Casey, who was quite good, and Watt, who was excellent . I did not vote for Castonzo. He has a bright future and did some good work. But to give him All Rookie just because he played a lot and was OK in stretches, I think it waters down the honor in the award for people like Watt or Denver linebacker Von Miller.

More here: AFC South Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/33130/castonzo-not-the-caliber-of-j-j-watt)

iLoveTexans
01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about his Pick 6 on saturday... OOPS

Texan_Bill
01-10-2012, 10:06 PM
"Stylistically"? It was 'ayright'!!!! That said, in the future I hope whenever you get a "pick" in the future, please show a little more flare!!!!!!

Oh!! Wait, what??????

I'm on record for liking the draft choice 'pick', but I'm a bigger fan of the pick six v. the Nati!

HJam72
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
OK, I'm ready to vote now. :kitten:

b0ng
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM

I was at Reliant during the draft party they threw there, the reaction to the pick was not pretty. Channel 13 caught the action and aired it that night on their 10pm news I believe.

76Texan
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I didn't think I was too bold when I said that "JJ Watt is like Ivory while Mario is like Ebony" now, was I? :bender:

Texan_Bill
01-11-2012, 10:57 AM
I didn't think I was too bold when I said that "JJ Watt is like Ivory while Mario is like Ebony" now, was I? :bender:

[beating Brakos to it]

http://dash.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/132571258166.gif

76Texan
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
[beating Brakos to it]

http://dash.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/132571258166.gif

Haha, you know my reference is more Stevie Wonder - like as in how:

Ebony and Ivory, living together in perfect harmony ...

Austex
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about his Pick 6 on saturday... OOPS

I thought the same thing, wondered what loon would really ask if we liked a pick 6.

mussop
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
This was my reaction.

Cant believe anyone would not like this guy. He will bat down a ton of passes, never quit on a play, create all kinds problems on 3rd down in the middle. He is a incredible athlete. At 6'5" and 290 lb's he has the second fastest 10 yard split for defensive linemen and that included DE's.

And

This is the best move this franchise has made since drafting Andre Johnson.

I'm not surprised most people here liked the Watt pick. For the most part our members are the most passionate and most knowledgeable football fans around. That's why we are on here day in and day out. Even when I don't agree with a regular here I know I'm debating with real and knowledgeable football fan. Trying to have intelligent football conversation outside of this message board is like discusing physics with beauty pageant contestant.

Unfortunately winning will have a negative effect on his board. The more we win the more this board will be flooded with typical no nothing bandwagon fans who flood the board with crap everyday. It happened on clutch and I can hardly stand to go there anymore.

Wow sorry about that last ranting paragraph. That came out of the blue. Anyway this thread is just proof that the best and smartest texans fans are right here. Enjoy this moment texanstalk brothers and sisters it will never get better here than it is right now!

Texecutioner
01-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I hope you're right. LIke I said I've looked at small samples of him, but he doesn't looks explosive or quick at all to me, and that's one of the biggst key factors for lineman.

Quoting my own post here. Lol!

I wasn't thrilled with the pick, but I didn't really rush any type of judgement because I hadn't ever watched in college and just saw samples of him on film. He didn't look that explosive, but boy am I happy that he has been an amazing player. I see him being a great player for many years to come like Cushing and Barwin. :)

GuerillaBlack
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
This was my reaction.

Cant believe anyone would not like this guy. He will bat down a ton of passes, never quit on a play, create all kinds problems on 3rd down in the middle. He is a incredible athlete. At 6'5" and 290 lb's he has the second fastest 10 yard split for defensive linemen and that included DE's.

And

This is the best move this franchise has made since drafting Andre Johnson.

I'm not surprised most people here liked the Watt pick. For the most part our members are the most passionate and most knowledgeable football fans around. That's why we are on here day in and day out. Even when I don't agree with a regular here I know I'm debating with real and knowledgeable football fan. Trying to have intelligent football conversation outside of this message board is like discusing physics with beauty pageant contestant.

Unfortunately winning will have a negative effect on his board. The more we win the more this board will be flooded with typical no nothing bandwagon fans who flood the board with crap everyday. It happened on clutch and I can hardly stand to go there anymore.

Wow sorry about that last ranting paragraph. That came out of the blue. Anyway this thread is just proof that the best and smartest texans fans are right here. Enjoy this moment texanstalk brothers and sisters it will never get better here than it is right now!

Seems like the bandwagoners are at the "official" board.

mussop
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I hope they stay there!

PHAROAH
01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
JJ Watt is beast and he has transformed our 3 Down Lineman Crew and them very difficult to deal with.

Perki-Perk
01-11-2012, 11:05 PM
This pick is horrible, what a bust!

OH, JJ Watt And here I just read JJ and thought you were talking about Jacoby Jones...dang it!

thunderkyss
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
This pick is horrible, what a bust!

OH, JJ Watt And here I just read JJ and thought you were talking about Jacoby Jones...dang it!

Jacoby was what, a 4th round pick. I think he's more than saisfies his draft spot. I understand some folks are upset that he was signed to a 3rd receivers' contract, even though he is living up to that as well.

EllisUnit
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
we should of never taken Watt what a waste of a pick :vincepalm:

The above post is sarcastic

brakos82
01-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Seems fitting he has 99 likes. LOL

Perki-Perk
01-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Jacoby was what, a 4th round pick. I think he's more than saisfies his draft spot. I understand some folks are upset that he was signed to a 3rd receivers' contract, even though he is living up to that as well.

Come on Kyss, I was being dually facetious!! I love Jacoby man. He's either an exciting run back or a loss of 5 yards on the return waiting to happen!! Now that is unpredictable!!

TexanSam
01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Connor Barwin gave Watt a new nickname. The Milk Man.

https://twitter.com/#!/ConnorBarwin98

ATTENTION TEXANS FANS: JJ Watt's new nickname is "The Milk Man"....because he always delivers! (and he's white) @JJWatt

eriadoc
01-12-2012, 01:32 PM

He was a 3rd round draft pick. IMO, rounds 1-3 should be starters. The earlier they're drafted, the earlier they should be expected to start.

Dutchrudder
01-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Seems fitting he has 99 likes. LOL

I suggest a mod close the voting before that goes to 100...