PDA

View Full Version : Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Pages : 1 [2]

fiasco west
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Found this buried piece...........No matter what you think of the appropriateness of the Texans' pick itself, you've got to love this kid ........his sheer unrelenting effort and his intense goal-oriented focus.

Yep.

This dude was a walk on for Wisconsin and look where he has found himself.

That is pretty amazing.

The1ApplePie
04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
fairley had Bust written all over him if he came to houston hes to small to be a NT and would not be a good DE since he prob never played DE

Fairley: 6-5 314
Jay Ratliff: 6-4 303
Shaun Cody: 6-4 310

We was about the right size actually.

JJ is the safer pick by a long shot.

Quinn and Fairley have huge bust potential, but if they max out, their talent and positions both outstrip Watt.

I like the Watt pick, but the upside of Quinn or Fairley is huge.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
You guys need to read that story CND posted a few posts back.

This guy is a gamer.

No funny business in that guy. No shenanigans.

He lives pissed off, like if he doesn't do it then nobody else will do it...so he rolls up his sleeves and does it.

I'm a fan.

I hope nobody reads this the wrong way. Let's put the suspension behind us.... But JJ Watt and Brian Cushing really really remind me of each other. They both have oustanding work ethic and have the attitude that they're going to do whatever it takes to make this team better. Neither get into off field stuff but live football. I bet after a loss, both Watt and Cush are personally hurt by it, wake up early the next morning and eat a bowl of nails together.

disaacks3
04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
OK, I wasn't all that familiar with him, read up, watched some highlights, he looks pretty good. :cool: I had just mentally ruled him out because I figured he'd be a 4-3 DE. It's an interesting choice for a team with two good-excellent DEs.

Can't trade players during this draft because of the CBA issues. You can only trade for picks. I thought they could trade starting today?

Lets just hope he doesn't over train.

Mike Glad CnD caught that...that OAS will get you pregnant!

Before the draft I told my Steeler friend that we love TEs, Colorado State, Wisconsin, and Alabama. Hit on 2 of the 3. Isn't that FOUR criteria?

Mom, whats J.J. Watt doing delivering our pizza? AWESOME

Brandon420tx
04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
That'd be a great promo for the team, have Texans players delivering pizza's to children. A childrens hospital would be great and they have a great one in Houston :)

bigbrewster2000
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
When Pioli went to the Chiefs , who was his pick ?

A 3-4 End in the top 5........

drs23
04-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Isn't that FOUR criteria? AWESOME

I caught that but I wasn't going to say anything. :D

Ghostform
04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5813/x25ca1cc6.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/x25ca1cc6.jpg/)

Luv_ya_blue
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry if this link has already been posted somewhere, but here's a great highlight reel of Watt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QT2-mRCgX0

Enjoy!

:drool: :logo: :drool: :logo: :drool:

Luv_ya_blue
04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Clip of Todd McShay's comments on us drafting Watt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_L0cvvTOsU

Luv_ya_blue
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
And why not one more...

Here's the 55-inch box jump.

The boy has hops!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0gsgyY_QW0

b0ng
04-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry if this link has already been posted somewhere, but here's a great highlight reel of Watt.

Enjoy!

Watching him bat that pass to himself and run it back 30 yards was pretty cool.

AnthonyE
04-29-2011, 11:21 PM

Enjoy!

You're getting me psyched for a season that might not happen. :pissed:

Allstar
05-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Here's a video of him mic'd up when he got to Houston. http://bit.ly/jUA8DB

Seor Stan
05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Fairley: 6-5 314
Jay Ratliff: 6-4 303
Shaun Cody: 6-4 310

We was about the right size actually.

JJ is the safer pick by a long shot.

Quinn and Fairley have huge bust potential, but if they max out, their talent and positions both outstrip Watt.

I like the Watt pick, but the upside of Quinn or Fairley is huge.

Fairley is not 6'5 314...at the combine he was just under 6'3 and 291 lbs.

Fairley Height/Weight (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player?id=27293&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2fplayer%3fid%3d27293)

Watt has the better vertical and 40 times... he also has more forced fumbles, tipped passes, blocked kicks...etc...so I don't see the whole "upside" debate.

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 10:34 AM
The story behind drafting JJ Watt (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/BWTB-Drafting-JJ-Watt/3844ef4d-e27c-4ba8-9dcf-ae3eab82026c)
In 2011 the Texans had a very different game plan heading into the first round of the NFL Draft. The player they wanted was Patrick Peterson, cornerback out of LSU.

General manager and executive president Rick Smith had planned to trade picks with San Francisco to get Peterson. When the Cardinals took Peterson with the fifth-overall pick, the Texans had to readjust their strategy. Did they still want to trade with the 49ers for the seventh-pick and linebacker Aldon Smith?

They didnt. Instead, Houston kept their original position at number 11 and drafted a rookie named J.J. Watt

infantrycak
01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
The story behind drafting JJ Watt (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/BWTB-Drafting-JJ-Watt/3844ef4d-e27c-4ba8-9dcf-ae3eab82026c)

Which should go to show folks we know .0001% of what goes on in the Texans' draft decisions.

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Which should go to show folks we know .0001% of what goes on in the Texans' draft decisions.

Yep. I remember being so disappointed we "lost" Aldon Smith.

disaacks3
01-07-2014, 11:55 AM

If you read the article, it didn't actually elaborate on what actually went into the decision...other than Watt wasn't their first, or possibly even second choice. :pop:

infantrycak
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
If you read the article, it didn't actually elaborate on what actually went into the decision...other than Watt wasn't their first, or possibly even second choice. :pop:

Which does what to my point?

Mr teX
01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Obviously we got the best of all 3 players, but all 3 are now premium players in the NFL that would've helped this team immensely at the time...we were that bad in 2010. The only caveat would've been Smith's off the field issues.....

disaacks3
01-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Which does what to my point?

You said it "went to show" that we fans know .0001% of what goes on in the draft room.

Unless you're actively refuting someone saying that the Texans never wanted Petersen or Smith, it does nothing to support your argument.

Feel free to elaborate.

Brisco_County
01-07-2014, 12:17 PM
You said it "went to show" that we fans know .0001% of what goes on in the draft room.

Unless you're actively refuting someone saying that the Texans never wanted Petersen or Smith, it does nothing to support your argument.

Feel free to elaborate.

It means that fans have a tendency to assume the worst about internal decisions so they can pretend to know better and cry like babies.

infantrycak
01-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Feel free to elaborate.

Regardless of statements here it is new information and illustrates much more goes on than we commonly find out about.

The specific instance is irrelevant to that general point, but this one does call into question all sorts of assertions made about the Watt pick such as Wade was promised the 1st pick and picked Watt. So was Peterson Wade's top pick or Smith the former DB's? Did Wade want Smith next but RS overruled him for the trade up? People see the arrival of Wade and Watt together and start making up all sorts of storylines with insufficient information.

thunderkyss
01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
It means...

It means Deepi Sidhu has an active imagination. Nothing more. Watch this.

Rick Smith had plans with the Cleveland Browns to exchange picks with the intention of drafting Robert Griffin III. But when Washington selected RG3 after a trade with St.Louis, did they still want to trade with Cleveland for Trent Richardson?

Instead, they stayed patt & drafted Whitney Mercilus.

I mean just because I said it don't make it true. Same with Deepi.

dream_team
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Regardless of statements here it is new information and illustrates much more goes on than we commonly find out about.

The specific instance is irrelevant to that general point, but this one does call into question all sorts of assertions made about the Watt pick such as Wade was promised the 1st pick and picked Watt. So was Peterson Wade's top pick or Smith the former DB's? Did Wade want Smith next but RS overruled him for the trade up? People see the arrival of Wade and Watt together and start making up all sorts of storylines with insufficient information.

Exactly... We don't know anything of what's going on behind the scenes, but people around here like to make up stuff to fit their argument. The common theme now is Rick Smith made all of the bad picks, but all of the good picks were obviously made by someone else.

Playoffs
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
It means Deepi Sidhu has an active imagination. Nothing more...

just because I said it don't make it true. Same with Deepi.

And the Houston Texans pay her to post made up isht on their website... ? :hmmm:

nero THE zero
01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I love 'what ifs' like this.

I wonder how much, if at all, this impacts Smith's thought process in subsequent drafts. I mean, does he go in targeting a player with a possible move up with the thought that he might be missing out on the next JJ Watt by doing so in the back of his mind?

Very fascinating.

drs23
01-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Rick Smith had plans with the Cleveland Browns to exchange picks with the intention of drafting Robert Griffin III. But when Washington selected RG3 after a trade with St.Louis, did they still want to trade with Cleveland for Trent Richardson?

C'mon TK, you can :stirpot: better than that. She was just applying real world application of what McNair himself said just a few days ago about how they work the draft. I highly doubt she's throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick and the team is publishing on the team website.

C'MON MAN!

thunderkyss
01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Would have been nice if she had said, "According to Rick Smith..." or "Mr. McNair said..." or "Marc Vandemeer told me..."

Nah, that last one doesn't fit does it? Deepi is below him on the "inside knowledge" totem poll.

TheMatrix31
01-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Goodness. What a pick.

kingtexan
01-08-2014, 04:54 AM
The Texans should have Wade on the payroll for the rest of his life, just for this pick alone.

ThaShark316
01-08-2014, 10:08 PM

I believe it because back in 2011 there was talk about the Texans wanting Smith, but SF snatched him early. Plus, don't act like there wasn't talk about HOU trading up. There was. People were hollering about V. Miller rumors for weeks before the draft.

badboy
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
don't we have to post links supporting our "opinions" so where is her source?

thunderkyss
01-08-2014, 10:21 PM
I believe it because back in 2011 there was talk about the Texans wanting Smith, but SF snatched him early. Plus, don't act like there wasn't talk about HOU trading up. There was. People were hollering about V. Miller rumors for weeks before the draft.

If this story is true. & it is true that we wanted Smith.... we'd have made the trade & took Smith. Her story is that we wanted Peterson, but did not feel Smith was worth the price.

don't we have to post links supporting our "opinions" so where is her source?

Exacatlly my point. She didn't even use the "anonymous source" ploy. Just threw it out there.

ArlingtonTexan
01-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I have no idea why the Texans published this stuff nor why people need evidence that this was true. I mean from an objective view point why does it matter if I would not have married my wife if another chick had showed more interest or my best friend would not be my best friend if he did not move to the city I was living. When the choice was available, the Texans made the right choice (and lol at the idea that Rick Smith had nothing to do with good draft picks and everything to do with bad ones).

Sigma
01-09-2014, 03:45 AM
Disgusting

best post ever :D

Playoffs
01-30-2014, 01:01 PM
From the best...

@JJWatt is the BEST Defensive player in the NFL. What I saw today against All Pros and Pro Bowlers was a MAN amongst men!!!! Truth
— DeionSanders (@DeionSanders) January 27, 2014

DX-TEX
01-30-2014, 01:12 PM
From the best...

DeionSanders (@DeionSanders) January 27, 2014

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ffePGJai4XY/UuXLU8JlpGI/AAAAAAAABKI/MZXtkcnq_HI/s400/jjw2.gif

nero THE zero
01-30-2014, 01:14 PM
A man amongst men?

Playoffs
02-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Players to lock up long term
Louis Riddick (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10079993/joe-haden-eight-young-players-lock-long-term-nfl)
So let's have that conversation. Here's what I assess:

The future. This is about players who have been drafted in 2010 or 2011, as it is this group of players that could be potential 2014 unrestricted free agents (2010 draft) or eligible to have their rookie contracts renegotiated once they complete their third season in the league (2011 draft). These players will typically fall in the 23- to 26-year-old range, are about to hit their peak performance years and thus are the players who are most likely to be approached.

Timing. It's important with these kind of players, as the benefits of approaching them early or locking them up before they enter the final year of their rookie contract can go a long way toward getting the kind of deal that satisfies both management and the player while showing the rest of the team that committed, consistent young players will be "taken care of." Contract negotiations in these early pre-emptive strike situations tend to be less combative; it's not a leverage-intense atmosphere, contrary to what tends to happen when both parties are up against a deadline (like the onset of unrestricted free agency), where contract parameters can get out of whack because of desperation and panic on the part of the member clubs.

Commitment. I've also added comments from a veteran agent who represents players to help assess that side of the equation. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate....
J.J. Watt, DT/DE, Houston Texans

There isn't much more to say about what this player has done since coming into the league in 2011 out of Wisconsin other than "wow." You could clearly see how good he was from a makeup standpoint during the pre-draft interview process at the scouting combine in 2011, but what he has been able to do on the field at the NFL level has been amazing. What franchise wouldn't be happy if its first-round DT produced 35.5 sacks, 168 tackles, 25 PBUs/batted balls and seven forced fumbles in his first three seasons? Watt can play anywhere on the line from a zero-nose to a wide-9 technique, can win with quickness or power against the run, can rush with quickness or power against the pass, plays with noticeable excitement and has tremendous toughness and physical/mental stamina. Plus, he is a solid citizen off the field by all accounts. He will be just 25 years old when the 2014 season begins. Watt is a guy who must be taken care of. He is the best thing happening on the Texans and deserves to be shown the money not just for what he has already given the franchise but what he'll give it going forward.

Agent analysis: "$36 million to $38 million guaranteed. A great barometer is the Chris Long deal the Rams did back in April ($36.75M guaranteed, $20M APY). Long has 30 sacks over the last three years; Watt has 35. Watt is 24 years old, Long [is] 28. The question is, was the 20.5-sack year an anomaly which you are willing to pay for, or do you see where he ends up this year and add that to the 5.5 he had as a rookie and say he 'really' averages somewhere north of 10 sacks a year? If they have a new staff and GM, it gets done at the high end as a priority for the fan base and as a promise to the new head coach coming in."

badboy
02-08-2014, 10:12 PM
I really like Watt but don't see need to offer long deal when we can keep him for much less. We have to be smart on these Foster/Schaub/Cushing type deals.

Carr Bombed
02-09-2014, 01:23 AM
I really like Watt but don't see need to offer long deal when we can keep him for much less. We have to be smart on these Foster/Schaub/Cushing type deals.

You can only rent him for much less.. you can't keep him for much less. If this guy even comes close to FA or approaches the type of sexy stats he did in 2012 the price tag is going to go through the roof.

Watt isn't a Foster, Schaub, or Cushing type deal (although if Cushing didn't have the leg injuries I would not put him on this list.. when healthy he's still the heart and soul and the tone setter on the defense).. Watt is Houston's franchise player and needs to be treated as such and locked up. The Texans don't need to ***** foot around the issue, just extend his contract, because chances are he's only going to get more expensive the longer they wait.

steelbtexan
02-09-2014, 02:49 AM
You can only rent him for much less.. you can't keep him for much less. If this guy even comes close to FA or approaches the type of sexy stats he did in 2012 the price tag is going to go through the roof.

Watt isn't a Foster, Schaub, or Cushing type deal (although if Cushing didn't have the leg injuries I would not put him on this list.. when healthy he's still the heart and soul and the tone setter on the defense).. Watt is Houston's franchise player and needs to be treated as such and locked up. The Texans don't need to ***** foot around the issue, just extend his contract, because chances are he's only going to get more expensive the longer they wait.

While I agree, I thought AJ was this teams franchise player? Atleast he's paid that way.

ArlingtonTexan
02-09-2014, 09:14 AM
While I agree, I thought AJ was this teams franchise player? Atleast he's paid that way.

Yeah, and the issue is how many "franchise" players do you really have and how many can you afford to pay as such.

Honoring Earl 34
02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
http://walterfootball.com/awardsnfl2013.php

WalterFootball.com Award (Best Player) - J.J. Watt, DE, Texans.

It was a close call between J.J. Watt and Robert Quinn. The latter posted more sacks, but Watt was better overall. Watt is the best player in football right now. It's just a shame that so many of his teammates quit this past season once it was apparent that the Texans would not be reaching the playoffs.

Playoffs
03-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Opened new topic by request here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104286

Vinny
03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
players don't figure out where they get screwed in the NFLpa negotiations until all the sharp edges are in place.

Dutchrudder
03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
(this discussion should probably have its own thread, but whatever)

All the blame should go to the NFLPA and their leader Demaurice Smith. They negotiated the deal, and they signed it. If they don't like it, they can wait for the next lockout in 6 years to fix it. But those currently in power should realize that a good amount of the future leaders of the NFL are the ones who get screwed over by this.

I think the 5th year contract provision for 1st round picks should be removed, along with the Franchise Tag. Either put it in their contract the day they sign, or don't offer it at all. The idea of a "team option" in the NFL is just dumb, because teams are already so well protected from underperforming players as it is. And the fact that the 5th year deal isn't fully guaranteed for injury is a joke.

Troy Chapman
03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
A Storm Is A Brewing (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-storm-is-brewing-1567.html)

Speaking on the bold area of your post. Doing that with Watt will follow with a disgruntled player that sits out during training camp etc.

Dutchrudder
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Speaking on the bold area of your post. Doing that with Watt will follow with a disgruntled player that sits out during training camp etc.

Yes, but during that time you negotiate his 4 year extension with a BIG signing bonus and you can prorate it starting in the "5th year" of his rookie deal. Thus reducing his caphit over time by throwing a few million of his signing bonus into that year.

Playoffs
03-03-2014, 02:45 PM
(this discussion should probably have its own thread, but whatever)...

You're right, my bad... here the new topic:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104286

thunderkyss
03-03-2014, 05:50 PM
A Storm is a Brewing...First round picks from the 2011 draft class are in for a rude awakening (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/A-storm-is-brewing-1567.html)

Simply put, a system that was advertised as a way to reward players who perform has instead turned into leverage against the players.

( By request, deserves its own topic.)

Leverage isn't leverage unless you use it. We should offer him a "reasonable" contract now, pay him well, just not in the overpaid Mario Williams neighborhood. I'd give him $24M signing bonus (Mario got $19M & only $25M guaranteed (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/)) & guarantee the next three years of salary, $1M, $6M, $6M (another $13M)....... Overall value of the 6 year deal would be ~$60M. He gets 40% of it up front, 60% guaranteed ($37M).

I'm willing to do 5 years for $60M, I'm willing to go as far as $74M for 6. Either way, if he's worth it I'm looking to renegotiate in 2018 anyway.

So I'm looking at anything from $10M/yr (this is where we start) to $12M/yr. Which is less than the $16M/yr of Mario's contract. But I'm putting 26% more money in Jj's pocket right off the bat. & he's guaranteed 50% more.

The offer won't change next year, & it won't change after 2015 when he's a free agent. He can take the money now, or risk injury, or two sub par seasons in a 2 gap 3-4.

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Leverage isn't leverage unless you use it. We should offer him a "reasonable" contract now, pay him well, just not in the overpaid Mario Williams neighborhood. I'd give him $24M signing bonus (Mario got $19M & only $25M guaranteed (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-williams/)) & guarantee the next three years of salary, $1M, $6M, $6M (another $13M)....... Overall value of the 6 year deal would be ~$60M. He gets 40% of it up front, 60% guaranteed ($37M).

I'm willing to do 5 years for $60M, I'm willing to go as far as $74M for 6. Either way, if he's worth it I'm looking to renegotiate in 2018 anyway.

So I'm looking at anything from $10M/yr (this is where we start) to $12M/yr. Which is less than the $16M/yr of Mario's contract. But I'm putting 26% more money in Jj's pocket right off the bat. & he's guaranteed 50% more.

The offer won't change next year, & it won't change after 2015 when he's a free agent. He can take the money now, or risk injury, or two sub par seasons in a 2 gap 3-4.

Can I have some of what you are smoking?

drs23
03-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Me too. I just need a little pinch for a '1 hitter'.

Standing by.... :kitten:

Texan_Bill
03-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Me too. I just need a little pinch for a '1 hitter'.

Standing by.... :kitten:

NO!! But I have a connect! ;)

thunderkyss
03-03-2014, 08:44 PM

Are you saying you would offer Jj more than $12M/yr now, or you're going to make him play out his rookie contract, plus the team option 5th year before you offer him an extension?

Playoffs
03-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Can I have some of what you are smoking?Are you saying you would offer Jj more than...

http://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/forum/images/smilies/whoosh2.gif

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Are you saying you would offer Jj more than $12M/yr now, or you're going to make him play out his rookie contract, plus the team option 5th year before you offer him an extension?

I am saying $10 is an insult, $12 is not going to happen and going all Trump on him with refusing to increase as the market rises is a recipe for failure so pass the brownies if you think that is going to work.

thunderkyss
03-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I am saying $10 is an insult, $12 is not going to happen and going all Trump on him with refusing to increase as the market rises is a recipe for failure so pass the brownies if you think that is going to work.

I'm offering a bigger signing bonus than Mario got, I'm offering more guaranteed money than Mario got. I'm willing to guarantee him $37M (heck, I'll make it an even $40M), I'm offering an average salary of $12M, I can start putting that money in his pocket today.

He can say no. That's his prerogative. Instead of putting $25M in his mattress, or he can take his $120K game check to the bank each week. If he gets hurt & is no longer the player he is now...... he may not get such a deal in the future. If the NFL "catches up" to him & his production declines... he may not get such a deal in the future.

I'm making it pretty clear my ceiling is $12M/yr, if he turns it down now, he'll turn it down at the end of the 2015 season. I'd much rather trade him before the 2015 season before I pay him more than $12M/yr. There will more than likely be a line of teams who'd be more than happy to pay him more than that.

I'm banking on it. Especially if we draft Clowney.

infantrycak
03-03-2014, 11:26 PM
In addition to all the other problems and reasons this has less of a chance of happening than me being made Pope, you need to take another look at Mario's contract. Through the 1st 3 years of his contract (2014) he will have received $51.9 mil so $1.9 mil more than JJ would make in the 1st 5 years of your contract proposal.

But carry on.

thunderkyss
03-04-2014, 06:13 AM
In addition to all the other problems and reasons this has less of a chance of happening than me being made Pope, you need to take another look at Mario's contract. Through the 1st 3 years of his contract (2014) he will have received $51.9 mil so $1.9 mil more than JJ would make in the 1st 5 years of your contract proposal.

But carry on.

So be it. I've drawn my line in the sand. I put a dollar amount on what I'm willing to pay Jj Watt. Anything more than that, to me is overpaying & a mistake. If the Texans want to make that mistake, nothing I say is going to change that.

Like I said to start, what's the point of having leverage if you're not going to use it?

WolverineFan
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
So be it. I've drawn my line in the sand. I put a dollar amount on what I'm willing to pay Jj Watt. Anything more than that, to me is overpaying & a mistake. If the Texans want to make that mistake, nothing I say is going to change that.

Like I said to start, what's the point of having leverage if you're not going to use it?

What's the point of drafting the best defensive player in the league if you're not prepared to pay him like it? You gonna trade him because he refuses to be low balled?

It doesn't matter if Mario's contract is ridiculous. Watt is a better player than Mario and his representation will be looking to be compensated in a similar manner. $12 mil a year is a slap in the face. The franchise tag for a DE is $13.1 mil.

thunderkyss
03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
It doesn't matter if Mario's contract is ridiculous. Watt is a better player than Mario and his representation will be looking to be compensated in a similar manner. $12 mil a year is a slap in the face. The franchise tag for a DE is $13.1 mil.

Mario will never realize $16M/yr.

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 10:48 AM

You're right. He is about to finish three years at $17.3/yr in his pocket.

ChampionTexan
03-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Short of Mario voluntarily agreeing to a pay reduction, please give a scenario where it's even possible he doesn't realize $16M/yr.

thunderkyss
03-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Short of Mario voluntarily agreeing to a pay reduction, please give a scenario where it's even possible he doesn't realize $16M/yr.

They'll ask him this year or next to restructure.

ChampionTexan
03-04-2014, 12:07 PM

That doesn't address my question. Many restructures don't impact dollars - only timing, and I specifically excluded taking a pay cut. So I ask again...

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Restructuring will mean he gets the money in his pocket faster, possibly with the promise of more money above his current contract.

thunderkyss
03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
That doesn't address my question. Many restructures don't impact dollars - only timing, and I specifically excluded taking a pay cut. So I ask again...

Maybe I spoke too soon. Looking at the cap, they can easily afford it. But just because the Bills does it, doesn't mean we should.

"We" didn't want Mario on this team with an $18M cap hit, regardless how many sacks & TFL he produced.

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 01:01 PM
"We" didn't want Mario on this team with an $18M cap hit, regardless how many sacks & TFL he produced.

"We" saw Mario not make the probowl in 4 of his 6 years with the Texans and never be an all pro or defensive player of the year. Pretty sure "we" sees that ain't JJ.

thunderkyss
03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
"We" saw Mario not make the probowl in 4 of his 6 years with the Texans and never be an all pro or defensive player of the year. Pretty sure "we" sees that ain't JJ.

At the time the conversation was "no one" was worth that kind of money. Which is what I believed then, & believe today.

So..... how much would you offer Jj Watt?

Double Barrel
03-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Whatever it takes to keep him in a Texans uniform.

He's one of McNair's "legacy" players. Andre Johnson is the other one.

Dutchrudder
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
At the time the conversation was "no one" was worth that kind of money. Which is what I believed then, & believe today.

I was against re-signing Mario because I thought he would get a 90 million dollar offer, and didn't think he was worth it. However, just because Mario wasn't worth 16 million per year, doesn't mean no one can be.

JJ Watt is the face of the franchise, the best defensive player in the NFL 2 years in a row, only 25 years old, and I think he would be worth 16m APY if he asked for that much. I don't think he will cost that much, but it wouldn't be completely crazy to pay him that. I'd guess he winds up costing about 14 million APY (5 years 70m), but if they spread out the signing bonus over his 5th year of his rookie deal, they can reduce the future cap hit a little.

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 03:50 PM

That was part of the conversation by some. I think more people thought Bills money was too much for him.

DB nailed it. Barring an injury JJ will be made the highest paid DE in football at the time of signing of his contract just as AJ has been the highest paid WR at the signing of two of his contracts. How much that is exactly I don't know. We have leverage to wait if we want (thereby minimizing the risk of injury not dollars). Now is not the offseason to do it with limited cap room and big jumps coming in future years. No point in spending all this year's cap room on a currently locked up asset thus limiting other chances to improve the team.

I'd guess he winds up costing about 14 million APY (5 years 70m), but if they spread out the signing bonus over his 5th year of his rookie deal, they can reduce the future cap hit a little.

I think that is about where the apy will end up.

Not sure what you are talking about on the 5th year rookie deal. Signing bonus can't be prorated over more than 5 years but that may not be what you are suggesting.

Dutchrudder
03-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I think that is about where the apy will end up.

Not sure what you are talking about on the 5th year rookie deal. Signing bonus can't be prorated over more than 5 years but that may not be what you are suggesting.

Yeah, so if you have a total of 6 years on a deal, 1 current year plus the 5 year extension, you can start the prorated signing bonus caphit in the current year and play it out over the first 4 of the extension. So it's over 5 years, but only 4 of the years of the extension, which lessens the caphit per year over time. It's a not a huge deal, but it makes it a little easier to swallow the mega-contract if you can drop 5 million of it into that first year. It also helps protect the team a little by making it easier to let the player go towards the end of the deal if they are underperforming.

Example - 5 year 70m extension with 25m signing bonus (14m APY):
2015: 6 million salary (5th year rookie tag) + 5 million signing bonus = 11m
2016: 7 million salary + 5 million signing bonus = 12m
2017: 7 million salary + 5 million signing bonus = 12m
2018: 7 million salary + 5 million signing bonus = 12m
2019: 7 million salary + 5 million signing bonus = 12m
2020: 17 million salary

You could also move around the salary to add more to the backend, or even it out more. A good GM would convert some of the salary to roster and workout bonuses too, maybe 500k a year. But with this extension, JJ Watt gets 25 million in cash at the end of his rookie deal, so he's not pissed off about playing a 5th year for only ~6 million bucks. This would give him 31 million dollars in 2015, and the 25 million signing bonus would be earned under Texas state law, and free from state taxes. The other 6 million would be salary, and be subject to state taxes depending on game locations.

infantrycak
03-04-2014, 06:04 PM
OK - looks like the being able to cut sooner is the biggest advantage.

Brandon420tx
03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Doesn't the salary cap increase like 10 million this year? It's expected to increase a little next year as well.

ATXtexanfan
03-05-2014, 10:07 AM

Indeed. No team in the league would let watt go

TheIronDuke
03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Maybe tk "grades" JJ Watt the same way he "grades" college football players he doesn't even watch. I do with tk like I do with Marshall and Norg, ignore them.

Anyone saying you shouldn't make a market-value offer to the best defensive player in football obviously doesn't have much sense at all.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm getting pretty worried. We've only got ONE DL left........and he's looking awfully scrawny these days!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1947327_422708891206395_129828480_n.jpg

EllisUnit
03-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm getting pretty worried. We've only got ONE DL left........and he's looking awfully scrawny these days!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1947327_422708891206395_129828480_n.jpg

i wish i was that kind of scrawny :uchicken:

Playoffs
03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Happy 25th, big guy!

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Happy Birthday to the one and only @JJWatt!

RT this to wish J.J. a happy 25th birthday! #GettingOld #JustKidding pic.twitter.com/ZnhHtEPigq (https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/447372781114515456/photo/1)

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/files/2013/08/bc-watt.jpg

SAMURAITEXAN
03-22-2014, 10:04 AM
i wish i was that kind of scrawny :uchicken:

Yeah but, next to JJ the most of fish look scrawny.

Playoffs
04-06-2014, 10:23 AM
JJ photobombs Russell Wilson & fan at NCAA Final Four Wisconsin game.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkgy_wpCYAAvieO.jpg:medium
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkgy_wpCYAAvieO.jpg:medium

ObsiWan
04-06-2014, 09:35 PM
LOL
J.J. can be such a ham.

mussop
04-07-2014, 12:21 AM
JJ Watt is a great pick. He should of been the second player on the Texans board.

I had him ranked number two on my big board behind Darius. The only reaso. I had Darius higher was because of need. Thought we needed a NT more than a DE.

aussie_texan
04-07-2014, 01:03 AM
I had him ranked number two on my big board behind Darius. The only reaso. I had Darius higher was because of need. Thought we needed a NT more than a DE.

thank god your not our GM. you suck :kitten:

btw msr

Big Lou
04-16-2014, 07:34 PM
JJ is up to his old tricks. The guy is making a strong case for Sainthood. Maybe the first guy recognized in Canton and the Vatican.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/16/the-kids-at-his-school-didnt-believe-he-was-friends-with-jj-watt-so-the-nfl-star-did-something-awesome/

It's gonna take a big check to keep this guy in Deep Steel Blue, Battle Red, and Liberty White, but I hope McNair/Smith figure it out.

Playoffs
04-16-2014, 07:41 PM
It's gonna take a big check to keep this guy in Deep Steel Blue, Battle Red, and Liberty White, but I hope McNair/Smith figure it out.
No worries, JJ isn't going anywhere.

MistaRed
04-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Texans exercised their 5th year option on J.J. Watt. Deadline to do so was May 3rd.

Playoffs
04-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Texans exercised their 5th year option on J.J. Watt. Deadline to do so was May 3rd.

He'll get his... big time.

Playoffs
04-17-2014, 09:14 PM
JJ is up to his old tricks. The guy is making a strong case for Sainthood. Maybe the first guy recognized in Canton and the Vatican.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/16/the-kids-at-his-school-didnt-believe-he-was-friends-with-jj-watt-so-the-nfl-star-did-something-awesome/

Made national news: http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/54979585/#54979585

Brisco_County
04-18-2014, 09:16 AM
He'll get his... big time.

$100 mil easy.

And I'd be happy.

Ryan
04-18-2014, 10:34 AM
That means at least another 3 seasons of JJ if we franchise him in 2016.

Blake
04-18-2014, 10:49 AM

If you have to franchise JJ Watt there is something wrong with your organization. JJ will get his extension probably after this year. They want him to be happy, and I doubt that he would respect a franchise that uses the franchise tag on him when he has shown them 100X over that he is a monster on the field, and a saint off it.

thunderkyss
04-18-2014, 12:21 PM
If you have to franchise JJ Watt there is something wrong with your organization. JJ will get his extension probably after this year. They want him to be happy, and I doubt that he would respect a franchise that uses the franchise tag on him when he has shown them 100X over that he is a monster on the field, and a saint off it.

Those are the types of mistakes we need to stop making. I'm all about paying Jj Watt, but I'm not willing to overpay him. If he hits FA, he'll be overpaid. If we pay him $100M over 6 years, he'll be overpaid.

Three years ago, "we" all said "no one" is worth $100M, but now all of a sudden, "we're" chomping at the bit to throw $100M+ at Jj Watt... I don't agree with that.

Granted, Dude is severely underpaid now. & if I had my way, I'd have offered him a $10M contract before last season. 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

He won't take it... I know that's what you're saying right now, there's no way he would take it. Well, he played 2013 for less than $3M & he'll play 2014 for less than $3M dollars (averaging out his four year $11M contract). & he might make $10M for 2015 (I don't his compensation will work out to $10M).... so he's already lost $14M (since I offered him $10M/yr) and will most likely lose more.

We exercised our option on him in 2015, we can franchise him in 2016, we can franchise him again in 2017. He's 25 now, in 2018 he'll be 28 years old, knocking on 30, probably about ready to sign his last NFL contract. I doubt he'll have played as well as he has played to where people would be dying to give him $100M.

At 26 years old, Jared Allen signed a contract with the Vikings (after being traded to them for a 1st & two 3rds) that paid him $12M/yr over 6 years. Then the richest contract for a defensive player. If Jj doesn't want to consider something like that... if we can't at least get to the table, I'd trade him before I franchise him. Especially if I can get a 1st & two thirds.

I'd trade him this year, if we were rebuilding. But since we're not...

Blake
04-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Those are the types of mistakes we need to stop making. I'm all about paying Jj Watt, but I'm not willing to overpay him. If he hits FA, he'll be overpaid. If we pay him $100M over 6 years, he'll be overpaid.

Three years ago, "we" all said "no one" is worth $100M, but now all of a sudden, "we're" chomping at the bit to throw $100M+ at Jj Watt... I don't agree with that.

Show me where I said overpay him or give him 100 million or anything that you are suggesting is a mistake?

thunderkyss
04-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Show me where I said overpay him or give him 100 million or anything that you are suggesting is a mistake?

My bad... lumping you in with others.

kingtexan
04-18-2014, 01:18 PM

If we wait that long we pay considerably more than if we just do the deal a.s.a.p.

All things NFL will have increased in value and cost by that time.

paycheck71
04-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Granted, Dude is severely underpaid now. & if I had my way, I'd have offered him a $10M contract before last season. 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

He won't take it... I know that's what you're saying right now, there's no way he would take it. Well, he played 2013 for less than $3M & he'll play 2014 for less than $3M dollars (averaging out his four year $11M contract). & he might make $10M for 2015 (I don't his compensation will work out to $10M).... so he's already lost $14M (since I offered him $10M/yr) and will most likely lose more.

We exercised our option on him in 2015, we can franchise him in 2016, we can franchise him again in 2017. He's 25 now, in 2018 he'll be 28 years old, knocking on 30, probably about ready to sign his last NFL contract. I doubt he'll have played as well as he has played to where people would be dying to give him $100M.

At 26 years old, Jared Allen signed a contract with the Vikings (after being traded to them for a 1st & two 3rds) that paid him $12M/yr over 6 years. Then the richest contract for a defensive player. If Jj doesn't want to consider something like that... if we can't at least get to the table, I'd trade him before I franchise him. Especially if I can get a 1st & two thirds.

I'd trade him this year, if we were rebuilding. But since we're not...

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't have offered him $10MM a year last year. The rookie contract can't be modified or extended with more than 1 year left on it. Even then, when you extend someone with 1 year left on their rookie contract, that year stays unchanged.

Playoffs
05-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
J.J. Watt answers #Texans' 2-14 season with toughest offseason training program of his career http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/05/texans-j-j-watt-eager-for-charity-softball-game-after-training-hole/ … #NFL

Baller...

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Texans' J.J. Watt sacrifices his body ... to tag out Case Keenum.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmuFleGCcAAM4Mp.jpg

Playoffs
05-04-2014, 02:15 PM
JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt
Last day in Wisconsin for now. Phase One: Complete. @NXLevelBrad @Brooksreed58
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkY-Wu7CIAE6JgC.jpg

[Watt] went back... to Wisconsin to put himself through a rigorous two-a-day program.
"I kind of just, more, went into a hole," Watt said Friday... "You just climb into a hole and you just want to work out of it. And so I kind of went to Wisconsin, put a mattress in my buddy's dining room of his apartment and just kind of lived that Rocky lifestyle for a little bit, where you don't do a whole lot of media, you don't do a lot events, you work."
"As long as you can keep the balance right, you can do it the right way," he said. "But this is definitely the hardest offseason I've put myself through from a training standpoint. And I can tell. I feel great."
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/5306/watt-did-his-own-two-a-days-this-offseason