PDA

View Full Version : Texans' Worst 1st Round Pick

Hagar
04-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I recently came across this article which picked the best and worst draft picks of each team:

Best, worst first-round NFL draft picks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draft-bestandworst)

Here's our picks:

HOUSTON TEXANS

Best: WR Andre Johnson(notes), Miami, 2003

Third overall pick, five-time Pro Bowl selection and franchise’s all-time top receiver. Only receiver in NFL history to make at least 60 catches in each of his first eight seasons, led league in receptions in 2006 (103) and set a career high in ’08 with league-best 115. One of two WRs with consecutive 1,500-yard receiving seasons.

Worst: DT Travis Johnson(notes), Florida State, 2005

At 16th overall pick underachieved and was plagued by injuries in four seasons, then Houston traded him to San Diego in 2009. Started 38 games in four seasons and had only two sacks. Drew 15-yard penalty for taunting Dolphins QB Trent Green(notes) after Green went low to block him.

Was TJ really our worst pick? Ok, time for a poll to determine who really was the worst pick as judged by the people who count ~ Us.

steelbtexan
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Babin

Because Casserly traded away a draft to get him. At a time that the franchise could've used even more picks to build a solid foundation.

This pick and the Carr pick are 2 picks this team has yet to recover from.

dc_txtech
04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Carr because he set the franchise back 5 years.

Babin if you include giving our entire draft to a team in our division.

Okoye if you are going purely by draft spot vs production.

No way is TJ our worst first round draft pick, I voted Okoye.

JimBaker488
04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Babin

Because Casserly traded away a draft to get him. At a time that the franchise could've used even more picks to build a solid foundation.

This pick and the Carr pick are 2 picks this team has yet to recover from.
Totally disagree. Babin was a bad pick to play 3-4 OLB, but when Kubiak got here he had a chance to utilize his skills as a 4-3 DE, a position that earned him a trip to Honolulu last year, but Kubiak blew it. And Carr was the obvious choice in the Texans first year, but the Capers regime screwed him up forever.
The answer to the question is TJ.

Ryan
Gotta be Travis Johnson for me.

beerlover
hopefully we can have more positive Texan stories moving forward? the negative draft dribble has already worn thin the foam stand in my stein too many times to count :beer:

Heath Shuler
04-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Decisions, decisions. Carr? Babin? Carr? Babin?

DocBar
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Travis Johnson, IMHO.

Bubbajwp
04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
A quick look at who else was available.

2007 we took okoye. I think this one stings the most.
Patrick Willis
Darrelle Revis
Brandon Merriweather
Jon Beason

2005 We traded back and took Travis Johnson
Derrick Johnson was there before we traded
After the trade
Aaron Rodgers
Roddy White
Luis Castillo
Logan Mankins

2004 we took Jasin Babin
Karlos Dansby
Chris Snee

2002 we took D Carr
Juluis Peppers

Ryan
04-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Even though you put all of the 1st round picks in there for obvious reasons, having AJ in there at all is still borderline blasphemy.

beerlover
04-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I voted Carr because clearly Texans with Capers should have started building 3-4 defense first & used a journeymen QB to run a pretty ugly, run orientated offense but maybe he (Dom) did not think Peppers ideal fit was 3-4 DE?

the safest pick in the 07 draft was Willis, we all knew it at the time, but Texans went need, addressing interior 1 gap DT with Okoye. Now four years later they switch system back to a 3-4 where Okoye doesn't fit but Willis would still have thrived. Revis was under the radar up until the last few weeks leading up to the draft, would like to say he would have been the sexy pick but that one would be hindsight :specnatz:

wolf123
04-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Travis Johnson in my opinion. The other players I can blame the coaching staff. Travis was just all talk and no talent!

Norg
04-24-2011, 12:35 PM
i liked TJ when he left why did we get ran up on the middle like some punk **** remember that

MJD like first play of the game run play TD

AP first play of the game Run play TD

and his sideline to sideline speed was pretty good

ATXtexanfan
04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
amobi

DocBar
04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
I reallyreallyreally wanted us to get Revis.

texanhead08
04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=beerlover;1683549]I voted Carr because clearly Texans with Capers should have started building 3-4 defense first & used a journeymen QB to run a pretty ugly, run orientated offense but maybe he (Dom) did not think Peppers ideal fit was 3-4 DE?

I agree with this. I don't think Carr is not partly to blame for not putting in the work, but the offensive philosophy plus the talent around him did not do him any favors either.

devo-x
04-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Amobi Okoye

Thorn
04-24-2011, 01:27 PM
For me it's between Carr and Travis Johnson, with Carr winning (or losing). I think in the long run, Carr set the Texans back more than the others. I agree though that the Texan orginazation did Carr no favors and probably ruined what might have been a serviceable NFL QB. But I'll never believe he was worthy of the very first pick in the draft.

ArlingtonTexan
04-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Totally disagree. Babin was a bad pick to play 3-4 OLB, but when Kubiak got here he had a chance to utilize his skills as a 4-3 DE, a position that earned him a trip to Honolulu last year, but Kubiak blew it. And Carr was the obvious choice in the Texans first year, but the Capers regime screwed him up forever.
The answer to the question is TJ.

Babin should be applauded for keeping his career going, but between Houston and the were three years and three teams. This board would have went crazy if we kept him and his 5 total sacks around between 2007-2009 around.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonbabin/profile?id=BAB714004

Now, Babin the draft pick, was very reflective of Casserly's weakness, too much a disregard for 2nd-4th round picks. In these rounds is where teams often get solid starters and higher end back-ups.

Hagar
04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Even though you put all of the 1st round picks in there for obvious reasons, having AJ in there at all is still borderline blasphemy.

Since the story was about the best and worst draft picks, I thought about doing another thread for the Best Pick, but it was so blatantly obvious I decided against it.

imatexan
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Amobi Okoye

For those that say Amobi please explain how he has been worse than Travis Johnson or Babin?

CretorFrigg
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
In light of the recent events that have unfolded last season, I'm extremely tempted to vote for Kareem Jackson. But I have to be rational. Kareem was a rookie last year, and we'll have to wait a couple years before labeling him as a bust. He was atrocious last year.

So I was torn between David Carr or Travis Johnson. I ended up picking Travis Johnson because I'm not completely convinced that Carr is the talentless hack we all think he is. Well, yes, he is now. But did our inept O-line hinder his development? We'll never know...

Travis Johnson just sucks. At least Amobi is still a part of the team.

Brisco_County
04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
One obligatory "LOL" vote for Andre.

Even if Carr was not ruined by lack of protection, even if he would've been that bad anyway, he still produced more value than Travis Johnson.

Besides, would we have been better off with Harrington getting pummeled back there? The Texans were cursed drafting a QB in 2002.

Corrosion
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I voted Carr because clearly Texans with Capers should have started building 3-4 defense first & used a journeymen QB to run a pretty ugly, run orientated offense but maybe he (Dom) did not think Peppers ideal fit was 3-4 DE?

the safest pick in the 07 draft was Willis, we all knew it at the time, but Texans went need, addressing interior 1 gap DT with Okoye. Now four years later they switch system back to a 3-4 where Okoye doesn't fit but Willis would still have thrived. Revis was under the radar up until the last few weeks leading up to the draft, would like to say he would have been the sexy pick but that one would be hindsight :specnatz:

Im not so sure I agree with the bold - No , 0k0y3 doesnt fit as a DT in the 34 but it does open up the opportunity for him to play as a 34 end .... and I believe that is the position he is best suited for.

HWWNBM , TJ and 0k0y3 were all 1st round busts .... Babin just didnt fit the position the staff drafted him to play . Maybe 0k0y3 turns out the same way , jury's still out and he's still with the team.

HHWNBM lead the team to a W against the Cowpies in that first game .... thats priceless.

TJ never did much of anything .... Im'a go with TJ for the time being with the option to change that to a tie between he and KJ if he doesnt stop falling down. :ahhaha:

chicagotexan2
04-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm torn between Carr and Okoye. But I'll say Carr for now. This should be Okoyes last change to redeem his career.

infantrycak
04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Look at it this way. Whose presence held the team back most? Has to be HWWNBN.

DocBar
04-25-2011, 10:28 AM

I guess I can see hom as the worst draft pick but not the worst 1st round player we've drafted. He's the worst draft pick cuz we had no business drafting a QB with no means of protecting and devolping him. I put TJ as the worst player drafted. How's that?

HTown2ATX
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Gotta be Travis Johnson for me.

^^^This

^^^And this!!

Ole Miss Texan
04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I think Carr was put in an unfair position and didn't have as much help (coaching) as required. With that said, I also don't think he had the work ethic to be a great QB. Nice guy, quality person, put in his time... but should have been living at 2 Reliant Center studying film with coaches and players, not at home. FWIW... I still think he was the logical choice at #1: New franchise, #1 pick, pretty boy fairy tale QB saves the day (doh!). But gosh would Peppers have been awesome.

I put Travis Johnson as the worst 1st round pick. I know a lot of people dislike Okoye, but I take him 9 times out of 10 over Johnson.

Babin was a terrible selection solely based on what it took to trade up for him. That is just awful GM'ing (yes I just turned that into a verb). :foottap:

The1ApplePie
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Between Johnson and Okoye

Carr was a huge bust, but he actually contributed and won some games.

DocBar
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I think Carr was put in an unfair position and didn't have as much help (coaching) as required. With that said, I also don't think he had the work ethic to be a great QB. Nice guy, quality person, put in his time... but should have been living at 2 Reliant Center studying film with coaches and players, not at home. FWIW... I still think he was the logical choice at #1: New franchise, #1 pick, pretty boy fairy tale QB saves the day (doh!). But gosh would Peppers have been awesome.

I put Travis Johnson as the worst 1st round pick. I know a lot of people dislike Okoye, but I take him 9 times out of 10 over Johnson.

Babin was a terrible selection solely based on what it took to trade up for him. That is just awful GM'ing (yes I just turned that into a verb). :foottap:That quality guy bug is still biting the hell out of us.

Between Johnson and Okoye

Carr was a huge bust, but he actually contributed and won some games.:spit: Might want to put your flame suit on...you might get :roast: for that!!! LOL

El Tejano
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I picked TJ because during a time when our team was running a 3-4 defense and we had Derrick Johnson (who's pretty good now that he's in a 3-4) fall right into our lap at 13 where we could've also taken OT Jamal Brown and we trade back to 16 only to see Derrick Johnson go #15 to Kansas City.

Corrosion
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM

If not for beating the Cowpies in that first game ..... I woulda went with HHWNBM. But that game alone is worth making TJ the bigger suck of the two.

Did I mention I hate the Cowpies ?

Playoffs
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Carr because he set the franchise back 5 years...
Yup.

Texas T
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Im not so sure I agree with the bold - No , 0k0y3 doesnt fit as a DT in the 34 but it does open up the opportunity for him to play as a 34 end .... and I believe that is the position he is best suited for.

HWWNBM , TJ and 0k0y3 were all 1st round busts .... Babin just didnt fit the position the staff drafted him to play . Maybe 0k0y3 turns out the same way , jury's still out and he's still with the team.

HHWNBM lead the team to a W against the Cowpies in that first game .... thats priceless.

TJ never did much of anything .... Im'a go with TJ for the time being with the option to change that to a tie between he and KJ if he doesnt stop falling down. :ahhaha:

I'm with you. TJ was a completely worthless pick-he did absolutely nothing, ever.

Mr teX
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I mean its hard to not pick carr just b/c there were so many things wrong with this organization at that point.....But he was just so terrible...

TJ & Babin FTW

infantrycak
04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I guess I can see hom as the worst draft pick but not the worst 1st round player we've drafted. He's the worst draft pick cuz we had no business drafting a QB with no means of protecting and devolping him. I put TJ as the worst player drafted. How's that?

I think that is an overblown excuse for HWWNBN. We expansion drafted a guy everyone thought was a future hall of famer. We also grabbed a guy folks thought was a very solid close to pro-bowl RT, got a very solid center and spent a high pick on a guy with a ton of talent who is still in the league. Folks act like we ignored the OL and we did not. Didn't work out but it wasn't ignored. Plus Schaub came in right behing and the sacks dropped by 50%.

If not for beating the Cowpies in that first game ..... I woulda went with HHWNBM. But that game alone is worth making TJ the bigger suck of the two.

Did I mention I hate the Cowpies ?

Yeah and I have to confess (as I have before) I grew up a Cowboys fan. Walked into that game a Cowboys fan. Left a Texans fan. That was a magical game.

Still HWWNBN hurt this franchise more than any other pick.

cuppacoffee
04-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I voted Cushing. Hope he proves me wrong.

Up to this point in the season Cushing has helped the D as much as Schoebel has...oops...nevermind, neither one of them is here.

I think that is more to the point than all the arguing about how impressive he is in the gym, staying in shape. Doesn't mean krap in the w/l column.

Do it again and he will get a full year to work out in the gym.

Note to Cushing...you ain't at USC anymore, no one here to cover it up. McNair tried, but this ain't the joke they call the NCAA.

Bad habits are hard to break...or so I've heard.

I'll stand on my post made after the draft, we drafted the wrong USC linebacker. I liked the Matthews bloodline.

Dont know how to link to previous threads.

How do you spell Brian Bosworth?

:coffee:

DocBar
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I voted Cushing. Hope he proves me wrong.

Dont know how to link to previous threads.

How do you spell Brian Bosworth?

:coffee:You need to up the caffeine dosage. :)

cuppacoffee
04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
You need to up the caffeine dosage. :)

I've already had six cups today...maybe too much caffeine? :D

The man asked for opinions. I'll stick to mine until proven wrong..:shades:

:coffee:

DocBar
04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
I've already had six cups today...maybe too much caffeine? :D

The man asked for opinions. I'll stick to mine until proven wrong..:shades:

:coffee:DROY in '09 , 4 game suspension and played out of position a couple of games in '10 and Cush is your worst draft pick in Texans history??? CND, do you know a good shrink for this guy?

Ckw
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
WAY too many to choose from. How about every single ****ing draft pick except AJ and Cushing... You may say well "HEY, what about Dunta?!?" Well for one, he's gone and screwed over the franchise with his whining, selfish ways, and for two, we could have had Roethlisberger, Tommie Harris (although hasn't been good as of late), Vince Wilfork (the one I'm really pissed at as he is the definition of a franchise DT). My it sucks because in the same draft, we picked Babin at 27 when we could have had Chris Gamble, Karlos Dansby, Bob Sanders (although the injuries make him worthless), and plenty of others that would have been better picks.

Man it sucks being a Texan fan.

AnthonyE
04-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I voted Jason Babin because we had to trade up for him. And he did NOTHING.

DocBar
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
WAY too many to choose from. How about every single ****ing draft pick except AJ and Cushing... You may say well "HEY, what about Dunta?!?" Well for one, he's gone and screwed over the franchise with his whining, selfish ways, and for two, we could have had Roethlisberger, Tommie Harris (although hasn't been good as of late), Vince Wilfork (the one I'm really pissed at as he is the definition of a franchise DT). My it sucks because in the same draft, we picked Babin at 27 when we could have had Chris Gamble, Karlos Dansby, Bob Sanders (although the injuries make him worthless), and plenty of others that would have been better picks.

Man it sucks being a Texan fan. Im no DROB fan, but how do you figure he screwed over the Texans in '09? He had nothing to gain and everything to lose in '09. I'm glad we didn't pay him but I don't think he ever tanked a game for us. I'm glad the Falcons overpaid for an average talent with an above average sel-image. Being the best Texan is a far cry from being an abobe average NFL player, exceptions being AJ and Ryans.

Corrosion
04-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I just want to know what dumbass picked Andre Johnson ..... :strangle:

Vinnie
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I voted Jason Babin because we had to trade up for him. And he did NOTHING.

Same here. Followed closely by Amobi and Carr. Then Johnson.

The1ApplePie
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM

Well, at least we know who the dumbass was that picked Charles Rogers over him

Hagar
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM

You took the words righ out of my mouth.

I knew when I started this pole DC would get a bunch of votes, but I truly thought Babin would get significantly more the Travis Johnson because of the trade up. I mean a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick to the Tennessee!?! for Babin!?!

Yeah, I agree Babin was put in the wrong system, but that doesn't mean the pick was good.

Amobi was a poor pick, but we didn't give up a ton of draft choices for him.

bckey
04-25-2011, 06:01 PM

I gotta agree with beerlover here.

DocBar
04-26-2011, 03:14 AM
You took the words righ out of my mouth.

I knew when I started this pole DC would get a bunch of votes, but I truly thought Babin would get significantly more the Travis Johnson because of the trade up. I mean a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick to the Tennessee!?! for Babin!?!

Yeah, I agree Babin was put in the wrong system, but that doesn't mean the pick was good.

Amobi was a poor pick, but we didn't give up a ton of draft choices for him. Good point regarding Babin. As for Amobi, maybe we didn't give up draft choices for him, but we damn sure gave up a lot in terms of talent still on the board. He wasn't my 1st choice, but I remember I wasn't all that butt hurt when we drafted him.
I drank the upside :koolaid:

HOU-TEX
04-26-2011, 08:50 AM
IMO, all but one player on the list has done at least something productive at one time or another. Travis Johnson never produced as a Texan. There were a few years in a row where I was optimistic for TJ, but he never amounted to diddly.

dream_team
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I voted for Travis Johnson. There are really only three people you can choose, that's Travis Johnson, David Carr, and Jason Babin.

I really wanted to vote for Babin, since we traded up for him, but this past season showed he has talent. Talent that our coaching staff didn't know how to utilize.

I gave Carr a pass because we really screwed the guy up. I guess it wasn't the Texans fault that Boselli and Young turned out to be complete busts for us, so the OL was a complete mess the whole time Carr was around.

Everyone that voted for Amobe, let's get real. I know everyone is disappointed we didn't get the next Warren Sapp... but if you remove the #10 overall pick label from him, he's a solid DT. If you take a look at that draft again, Amobi and Anthony Spencer are the only defensive linemen that are starters for the team that drafted them.

nut
04-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Okoye. Always wondered why Petrino, his college coach, didn't consider drafting Amobi at all when he took the pro job at ATL.

powerfuldragon
04-29-2011, 02:18 AM

prolly a jags fan.