PDA

View Full Version : PFT Texans Needs

DocBar
04-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Here's a pretty good article on the Texans needs in the draft. It's something to pass the time til the draft.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/team-needs-houston-texans/

kiwitexansfan
04-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Sounds about right which is rare for a national media source.

Lucky
04-23-2011, 09:29 AM
PFT's suggested needs:

OLB, CB, SS, FS (if Quin isn't moved), NT, WR (in later rounds), and FB (if Leach isn't re-signed).

I would include ILB (worried about Ryans recovery), DE (depth behind Williams and Smith), and a swing OT. Did I mention punter and kick returner? Another year of Dan-O as backup (yuck)? In other words, the Texans can't fill all of their needs through the draft. And I think we knew that.

CloakNNNdagger
04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Posted this last night in a different thread.http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1683203&postcount=99.

It's, indeed, a good summary of the Texan's needs. But nothing earth shattering for anyone who has followed this MB.

As Lucky added to this list, there are further needs that we will have to address in some way or another in order to avoid some very noticeable shortcomings of last season. Prioritizing will be important, but the remainder of Lucky's list cannot go entirely undealt with............smart FO's can multitask.......smart owners with insist on it.

DocBar
04-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Posted this last night in a different thread.http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1683203&postcount=99.

It's, indeed, a good summary of the Texan's needs. But nothing earth shattering for anyone who has followed this MB.

As Lucky added to this list, there are further needs that we will have to address in some way or another in order to avoid some very noticeable shortcomings of last season. Prioritizing will be important, but the remainder of Lucky's list cannot go entirely undealt with............smart FO's can multitask.......smart owners with insist on it.Yeah, I saw that about 30 seconds after I started this thread. :rake:

beerlover
04-23-2011, 11:37 AM
PFT's suggested needs:

OLB, CB, SS, FS (if Quin isn't moved), NT, WR (in later rounds), and FB (if Leach isn't re-signed).

I would include ILB (worried about Ryans recovery), DE (depth behind Williams and Smith), and a swing OT. Did I mention punter and kick returner? Another year of Dan-O as backup (yuck)? In other words, the Texans can't fill all of their needs through the draft. And I think we knew that.

Texans can't fill all of their needs through the draft, I didn't know that? somehow was under the impression they could, just not all in one draft but several quality drafts put together :worldpeace:

The problem with the Texans is other than TE they lack quality depth @ every position, one key injury to QB/OT/RB/DE/LB/DT/CB/S/WR/OG/K/P etc.... could change the course of any season for this team, take a historical viewpoint, even with a healthy Schaub for 16 games they managed only a 6-10 record. Yes dumb plays/impossible plays hurt them too but injurys to DeMeco, Barwin, Andre, Mario etc. where exacerbated because of huge drop-off behind them on the bench.

Now I'm not one to trade away draft picks but what Texans really need is what New England has managed to accomplish via the draft, that's trade down, multiple times, creating a butt load of late 1st/2nd & 3rd picks. So Rick Smiths focus should be trading down early, then trading back up with late picks to aquire more quality impact players to fill as many needs as possible as quickly as possible. Don't tell me it can't be done either because New England is proof that it can. If the front office had used this approach from the beginning, starting with the 2002 draft we wouldn't be having this discussion now :toropalm: