PDA

View Full Version : Bill Polian on Draft Strategies

playa465
04-21-2011, 09:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23170/on-best-player-available-and-other-strategy

Texan4Ever
04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
My approach would be slightly different then Bill Polian. For me, I would identify the key needs that a team has and based off of that go BPA. For example, the Rams needs include:

DT

OLB

WR

DE

DB

In our 2011 TTalk Mock Draft, I used my strategy and went BPA according to who was available which resulted in me picking Stephen Paea, Greg Jones, Edmond Gates, Ricky Elmore, and Eric Hagg.

Lucky
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
From the ESPN article linked above:

Gary Kubiak has the strongest voice among coaches as he works with GM Rick Smith in Houston. The Texans' draft strategy is tough to peg. The top of the last three drafts have certainly addressed needs. The most recent first-rounder, corner Kareem Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13254), struggled badly in his first season.
I think the Texans draft strategy (they have a strategy?) is a combination of finding guys who "fit" the team in scheme and culture, along with filling needs. Like, "we need a corner, and he needs be able to press, and he needs to be an eagle scout."

steelbtexan
04-21-2011, 10:47 PM

I think the Texans draft strategy (they have a strategy?) is a combination of finding guys who "fit" the team in scheme and culture, along with filling needs. Like, "we need a corner, and he needs be able to press, and he needs to be an eagle scout."

^^^^
This

Or flipping a coin

Cant rep you, LOL

Dutchrudder
04-22-2011, 01:31 AM
The Colts strategy:

1. Draft Peyton Manning
2. ????
3. Profit!

Seņor Stan
04-22-2011, 06:28 AM

and a Team Captain...you can't leave that out.

TEXANRED
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Bill Polian's draft strategy: Get Peyton Manning. Done.

jaayteetx
04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Bill Polian's draft strategy: Get Peyton Manning. Done.

Yep, that team would be the AFC south doormat if it weren't for him, for sure.

texanhead08
04-22-2011, 04:35 PM

And when this doesn't work just pick the first TE you see on the list of draft eligible players.

beerlover
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM

so you, cold to the core :snowday:

things are fixing on changing :toropalm: