PDA

View Full Version : Our offense is way overated.

Pages : 1 [2]

DocBar
05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I thought you were done insulting me since you couldn't answer the same questions I've tried to get an answer to for several pages now. Lol! Can you not see the multiple contradictions you continue to make in this thread when you're cornered?

Earlier you wrote.

Now, that seems to be an admission from you that offensive coaching was a problem last season since you stated "all phases of the game." Now several of us have brought up problems with the offense that had to do with coaching in more than one season with the offense, yet you keep throwing this temper tantrum for stating what you already had previously in this thread but we actually got more specific with it with examples even and since it went against your argument here and you couldn't properly spin it, you've just resorted to insults. You should have stopped digging this hole a while back, because I could list several other statements from you in this very thread that have gone against this current tirade of yours.I've answered your questions and Kubes hasn't been the question if this thread. This thread is about the O. It is good and doesn't need much, if any help.

thunderkyss
05-14-2011, 07:29 PM
An offense cannot come back without defensive stops.

The offense can score 21 points & and erase three qtrs of putrid football. The defense.... not so much.

Another thing.

If we are going to say the Texans offense is a top five offense because of the stats they racked up during these come backs, why don't we use the Defensive stats during this part of the game alone.

The offense can erase a bad game, with stats & points that don't mean anything. The defense does not have that luxury. One Qtr of great football does not erase three Qtrs of suck for the offense or the defense.

At least it shouldn't anyway.

Texecutioner
05-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I've answered your questions and Kubes hasn't been the question if this thread. This thread is about the O. It is good and doesn't need much, if any help.

When did you address the fact that this offense failed in several games to clinch the game and come away with a W when it was in the OFFENSE"S HANDS and they choked it away? Show me where you answered to that question directly by addressing issues that have to do with the offense, other than saying our defense sucks, our defense was last place, I hate our defense?

This thread is about the O. It is good and doesn't need much, if any help.

Well who do you think coaches the offense Einstein? You think that coaching doesn't effect things on the field or the plays that are called in the first half or the end of the 4th quarter?

And by the way here is another contradiction on that last statement and the last few pages or your ranting.

On that note, I realize the O has holes in it

So previously in this thread, you state that the O does have holes in it, but yet you melt down at everyone else for explaining that it's a little overrated and pointing out why. Now are there two people posting under your screen name or something, because you seem to go in circles over and over and contradicting yourself.

Texecutioner
05-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I guess you still aren't going to address the question I keep trying to get an answer for, nor are you going to :turtle: the contradictions this time around. :ok:

CloakNNNdagger
05-15-2011, 08:39 AM
NYtimes (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/2010-texans-what-the-film-revealed/)

2010 Texans: What the Film Revealed

While we wonder whether there will be a 2011 season, this is part of a series looking back at the 2010 season, with the benefit of film analysis.

Offense
In a word, this offense was “good.” In two words, “very good.” But it wasn’t great.

Few offenses truly are, though. The Texans benefitted from a well-crafted scheme. In the run game, the zone blocking made an average offensive line effective and was perfect for Arian Foster. (Foster was everything his numbers suggested: powerful yet shifty, explosive yet patient. Think of him as Adrian Peterson Lite.)

In the pass game, Andre Johnson was used in a multitude of ways and benefitted from excellent route combinations that made it difficult for defenses to maximize the effectiveness of their double teams. Matt Schaub was a good ball-handler on play action and rollouts, but his sub-par arm strength stifled much of his potential greatness. Because he had to work to push the ball downfield, Schaub wasn’t always able to conjure big plays under duress....................................

.................Right tackle Eric Winston had his best season as a pro. The five-year veteran did not stand out in pass protection (which is a good thing for a right tackle) and showed the ability to sustain blocks on the edge, which takes a certain degree of athleticism.

b0ng
05-15-2011, 09:16 AM
There were many, many years when the Colts or the Rams offense carried their teams. Their offenses kept the defense on the sideline. Their offenses made their opponents abandon the running game.

This is radically dishonest as those teams still had defenses that were adequate, serviceable, and not a total liability. Keep looking for offensive powerhouses that had dead last defenses that did anything meaningful in the post season.

steelbtexan
05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I dont hate Gary the man.

I do hate Gary the HC. Who has subjected me to 5 yrs of medicore football. Kubiak should have been fired after the 2009 season. The Texans had a top 16 defense that yr, Schaub had a great yr and they still couldn't make the playoffs. That's why even if the defense becomes middle of the pack, (probably not going to happen) they still probably wont make the playoffs.

I just want a team that shows up and plays hard for 4 qtrs. So far Gary has shown he's not the man for the job.

gary
05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I dont hate Gary the man.

I do hate Gary the HC. Who has subjected me to 5 yrs of medicore football. Kubiak should have been fired after the 2009 season. The Texans had a top 16 defense that yr, Schaub had a great yr and they still couldn't make the playoffs. That's why even if the defense becomes middle of the pack, (probably not going to happen) they still probably wont make the playoffs.

I just want a team that shows up and plays hard for 4 qtrs. So far Gary has shown he's not the man for the job.Why are you talking about me? I like my job because all I have to say it's all on me to make Bob happy.:smiliedance::hurrah:

steelbtexan
05-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Why are you talking about me? I like my job because all I have to say it's all on me to make Bob happy.:smiliedance::hurrah:

Cant rep you

LOL

gary
05-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Cant rep you

LOLThis is just the best job ever.:fingergun:

Rey
05-15-2011, 12:27 PM
This is radically dishonest as those teams still had defenses that were adequate, serviceable, and not a total liability. Keep looking for offensive powerhouses that had dead last defenses that did anything meaningful in the post season.

The Colts Defense allowed two points less per game than ours...Since points seem to be the overriding theme.

Really though, this isn't about offense vs. defense. This is about the make-up of the team in general. Well at least for me it is.

This team folds in clutch type situations far too often.

Sure the Texans offense was really good, but when the game is close they have perpetually failed. That goes for both sides of the ball. Lets say that we get a top 15 defense this next year. What changes is clutch situations?

We've had a top half of the league defense before and we found ways to lose games. This really goes beyond stats and really it just comes down to a gut feeling you get watching these guys play. As a TEAM, the Texans regressed last year. But as I said earlier, this isn't really a one year deal with us...We've consistently found ways to lose the big ones, but relish in small victories.

Rey
10-11-2011, 03:43 PM
The Colts Defense allowed two points less per game than ours...Since points seem to be the overriding theme.

Really though, this isn't about offense vs. defense. This is about the make-up of the team in general. Well at least for me it is.

This team folds in clutch type situations far too often.

Sure the Texans offense was really good, but when the game is close they have perpetually failed. That goes for both sides of the ball. Lets say that we get a top 15 defense this next year. What changes is clutch situations?

We've had a top half of the league defense before and we found ways to lose games. This really goes beyond stats and really it just comes down to a gut feeling you get watching these guys play. As a TEAM, the Texans regressed last year. But as I said earlier, this isn't really a one year deal with us...We've consistently found ways to lose the big ones, but relish in small victories.

I posted this back in May.

I've really tried to be optimistic...But I'm about to go back into my Fire Kubiak mode if this shit doesn't start looking up soon.

And really, I don't even think Kubiak has been terrible when it comes to game time stuff this season...But this team just has this stigma and stench and Kubiak is the fish that the ass hole hid in your car...

Rey
10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
It's a situational offense. If they have to score 30 pts to lose by 2, they will. If they have to score 14 to lose by 3, they will.

If they were a good offense, they would score whatever, whenever.

Months late, but good post.

eriadoc
10-11-2011, 03:59 PM
They're a good offense for half the game. In odd-numbered years, it's the first half. In even-numbered years, it's the second half.

Texecutioner
10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
It is interesting to read a lot of the posts over the last few pages from members who are now calling for our QB's head, but couldn't fathom the idea that our offense wasn't so elite when this was discussed in the off season. :truck:

Rey
10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
It is interesting to read a lot of the posts over the last few pages from members who are now calling for our QB's head, but couldn't fathom the idea that our offense wasn't so elite when this was discussed in the off season. :truck:

Exactly.

Lots of people looking at the points and stats we've put up over the years, but when you actually watch the games there is just something missing.

Double Barrel
10-11-2011, 05:19 PM
The lack of early game leads mentioned by Lucky was a great point. Sometimes stats can't just be read without context if you really want to understand trends within games.

Look at the Steelers game a couple of weeks ago. Our offense put together what may be the greatest opening drive in Texans history. Almost 11 minutes long capped with a TD. That is 11 minutes that the Texans were resting their defense while wearing out the Steelers defense. That has a direct impact on the fourth quarter when the Steelers had a worn out D and the Texans were driving.

Just looking at points per game without any tangibles often tells an incomplete story.

GP
10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Exactly.

Lots of people looking at the points and stats we've put up over the years, but when you actually watch the games there is just something missing.

Is this why some people say Fantasy Football is bad for the game of football?

Could be.

If your QB you drafted (Schaub) is Top 3 in "fantasy stats" every year, you tend to think Schaub is elite. Hey, he wins you games, He puts up "points."

But is he winning where and when it counts? This past Sunday made me look long and hard at whether the Texans can truly rely upon Matt Schaub as a QB who can lead the team to the ultimate goal: A Super Bowl win.

This past Sunday, IMO, complicates things. Great stats, was able to get us into scoring position with a huge pass play down the field...but choked.

He's either going to use these failures and get better, or he's going to fail in these ways and get dumped. Things are interesting, indeed.

80tothezone
10-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Is this why some people say Fantasy Football is bad for the game of football?

Could be.

If your QB you drafted (Schaub) is Top 3 in "fantasy stats" every year, you tend to think Schaub is elite. Hey, he wins you games, He puts up "points."

But is he winning where and when it counts? This past Sunday made me look long and hard at whether the Texans can truly rely upon Matt Schaub as a QB who can lead the team to the ultimate goal: A Super Bowl win.

This past Sunday, IMO, complicates things. Great stats, was able to get us into scoring position with a huge pass play down the field...but choked.

He's either going to use these failures and get better, or he's going to fail in these ways and get dumped. Things are interesting, indeed.

you say he choked.... go watch it again where was he supposed to go with the ball? he had no angle on the endzone etc .. ****it.... nvm talk ya ya'll after baltimore if we win

gafftop
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Yep.

ATXtexanfan
10-16-2011, 06:10 PM
schaub is overrated

gafftop
10-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I think some of the blame goes to the play calling and the philosphy of KUBIAK of just trying to stay close in the 4th.

GNTLEWOLF
10-16-2011, 06:21 PM
schaub is overrated

It is not just Schaub, although he has had that "whipped dog" look since half time. I think this is all systemic. In another thread I asked where our vaunted offense was. The answer was that our best offensive player (AJ) was out.
I thought our HC was some sort of offensive genius. Couldn't he put together a winning game plan that included three TE sets- (see New England, even though the Pokes are beating them over the years they have won without a true NO 1 receiver) Or some other scheme that could win around AJ? Or is the truth that Kubiak is really no genius , but it is only AJ's presence that wins games?
Also, why weren't legitamate receivers looked at as soon as AJ went down. Was our new receiver even used today? I only started watching at the half.
Anyway, I agree our offense IS overrated.
Our Defense still sucks. I'm not sure Wade's answer really is one either. This sucks

gafftop
10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Frog,

What you say is the root of my/the problem. With the current head coach and FO I really see no hope in significant strides being made next year that will make us a playoff contender. It just feels to me that this will be a wasted season because I do not have any confidence in the coachingstaff/FO of this team. I know Wade is new and that gives me a very slight ray of hope but that is over shadowed by Kubiak and his buds.
C'mon Kubiak make me eat my words.

Still waiting with knife and fork. Getting hungry.

Rey
10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
I think some of the blame goes to the play calling and the philosphy of KUBIAK of just trying to stay close in the 4th.

I have no issue with the playcalling. Shammy played a good game overall, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. If we need him to make clutch throws or really good throws he's not the guy.

gwallaia
10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I guess I just don't understand all the money and contract business of the NFL but I think the Texans should have done whatever to keep Leach.

gafftop
10-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Wade has done a great job with the defense. Better than expected. Now we get to see the real genius of Kubiak. Not quite fair because AJ out, but I think alot has to do with play selection and philosophy.

ATXtexanfan
10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
why is it so hard to realize that schaub sucks? dude sucks, all there is to it. qb is the most important position in profootball and college fb

Second Honeymoon
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Schaub doesn't necessarily suck but he has had trouble keeping composure once you hit him hard. Same problem Moon had back in the day. They get rattled. Peyton even has that label. Matt played very tough and given an avg. Defense he would have like 7 come from behind victories last year. This year he has not matched that level of performance, albeit wasted last year.

Hopefully the Texans can turn it around, but if they don't, Smithiak must be ran out of town.

80tothezone
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Well, your post is one reason why I wouldn't be too shocked if Julio Jones fell to us and we picked him. For pretty much the reasons you suggested. Then when you figure that Andre Johnson has been hurt quite a bit over the last 3 seasons (which you gotta attribute some of the offensive sluggishness to not having him in the lineup) and then our depth is not where it needs to be on the WR corp. Even Kubes is quoted as saying that you are mistaken if you think they feel the offense is where it needs to be.

I do disagree that we are overrated. I believe much of it had to do with us getting our heads out of our butt be it the coaches or the players. Schaub has proven that he can move the ball and when the team is behind he can play well, and he he's done it with very little of a wr corp. If not for OD and Foster our passing game might be worse. What I noticed was a failure to adjust at halftime (San Diego, even Tenn at home) we came out tough and would look like crap in the second half. However, a team with a decent defense makes for a win (like the Tenn game at home showed) in those situations.
Well, your post is one reason why I wouldn't be too shocked if Julio Jones fell to us and we picked him. For pretty much the reasons you suggested. Then when you figure that Andre Johnson has been hurt quite a bit over the last 3 seasons (which you gotta attribute some of the offensive sluggishness to not having him in the lineup) and then our depth is not where it needs to be on the WR corp. Even Kubes is quoted as saying that you are mistaken if you think they feel the offense is where it needs to be.

I do disagree that we are overrated. I believe much of it had to do with us getting our heads out of our butt be it the coaches or the players. Schaub has proven that he can move the ball and when the team is behind he can play well, and he he's done it with very little of a wr corp. If not for OD and Foster our passing game might be worse. What I noticed was a failure to adjust at halftime (San Diego, even Tenn at home) we came out tough and would look like crap in the second half. However, a team with a decent defense makes for a win (like the Tenn game at home showed) in those situations.

i would say that we are not overrated but we are not near the same O w/o #80. Take the best player off the colts team and look at what u get. Take breeze from the saints or rice from the ravens and they are completely different teams. I think everyone is overreacting to 3 losses ( for now) . If this play continues once we get our HALL of FAME receiver back then we can question the O. U do realize that we have not played one full game with all of our starters in the lineup including the leagues leading rusher from last yr and The best WR in football.

Double Barrel
10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
I guess I just don't understand all the money and contract business of the NFL but I think the Texans should have done whatever to keep Leach.

I agree completely. The argument against keeping him was that he was only in on approximately a third of our run plays.

However, one of the local radio hosts looked at his plays, and the percentage of positive gains when he was in was very high. We lost a gamer, and I saw a couple of plays yesterday that he would have been instrumental with his blocking skills.

Fullbacks are undervalued in today's NFL. But, I tend to be blood and guts old school about things. Give me a consistent ground game and stout defense over the finesse stuff any day.

Vinny
10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I agree completely. The argument against keeping him was that he was only in on approximately a third of our run plays.

However, one of the local radio hosts looked at his plays, and the percentage of positive gains when he was in was very high. We lost a gamer, and I saw a couple of plays yesterday that he would have been instrumental with his blocking skills.

Fullbacks are undervalued in today's NFL. But, I tend to be blood and guts old school about things. Give me a consistent ground game and stout defense over the finesse stuff any day.hey man, if we sign him we can't keep Jacoby!

Double Barrel
10-17-2011, 05:14 PM
hey man, if we sign him we can't keep Jacoby!

:ohsnap:

Second Honeymoon
10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
hey man, if we sign him we can't keep Jacoby!

Yeah, we passed on Dez Bryant for Kareem Jackson. There is always that to chew on too.

But Kareem was more NFL ready and was a character guy....

ObsiWan
10-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, we passed on Dez Bryant for Kareem Jackson. There is always that to chew on too.

But Kareem was more NFL ready and was a character guy....

Meh...
I would have rather had Devin McCourty or Patrick Robinson. Dez is a head case.